PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Miners

Wildthyme
10-13-2010, 02:51 PM
So anyone been following this story of the miners in Chile who have been trapped underground for 69 days? After drilling a 28 inch wide hole through half a mile of rock they are now bringing them up one by one in this little capsule. I have been watching the rescue on CNN obsessively since last night and the high spirits of these guys and the joy of their families is inspirational. I can't imagine how I would have fared psychologically being trapped for 17 days with no idea if anyone knew I was still alive and then having to spend another 52 days waiting for help. I have to say the Chilean government and everyone who made this rescue happen certainly deserve a lot of kudos, as well as the miners themselves who appear to have stayed strong and unified during this crisis and the rescue workers who voluntarily went DOWN this hole into the mine to help get these guys out. Bravo to them all!

Brooke
10-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I have! It's a miracle they are finally getting them out! I can't even imagine what they have gone through. :applause:

Troubadour
10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Absolutely. I was watching it live on the news this morning. Very emotional! What an ordeal for those guys and their families. Like you, though, I am inspired by the way people have united to support the miners and the collective joy as they are being rescued. Let's hope they will all be in good health, physically and psychologically.

Prettymaid
10-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Let's hope they will all be in good health, physically and psychologically.

Amen to that!

thelongrun
10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Awesome guys. What a way to overcome. Look for this guy, one of the 33, named Mario Sepulveda, what a happy man. God bless their spirit.

By the way, sooner some people found this cabala about the number:

33 man traped
33 days took the drill to get to them
they were found on a 22/08/2010, that's 33

that day they send a written message (in spanish) "we are fine the 33 in the shelter": that's 33 characters

the tunnel to rescue them is 66 cmt. of diameter, half 33
they were rescued on Oct. 13 2010: that's 33
the nearest Town next to the Mine site is... 33 minutes away

And there's more, like this guy celebrating his 33 years marriage, another Miner with 33 years in that Mining Company... Also one of them had a new son (well, his wife) while he was down... While he was still down, the baby girl was named Esperanza (Hope).

All true. And, 33 that's was Our Lord Jesus Christ age, Wasn't it?

My best.

EaglesFanatic
10-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank goodness they were able to be rescued. I sincerely commend them. It takes a lot of physical and mental strength to get out of there alive.
That whole Kabbalah thing is really interesting. It's weird how there are so many relative examples of 33. Here's another; when people go to Rachel's grave in Israel, they put the red string bracelets on and recite the 33rd psalm. This is done to symbolize the asking of protection and safety. Maybe the number 33 brought them the protection they needed in order to survive... Just a thought :shrug:

Ive always been a dreamer
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
:yay: :yay: :yay:

What an incredibly uplifting story!

AzEaglesFan
10-14-2010, 02:03 AM
For many years it was forbidden for women to go underground. It was considered bad luck and then came womens lib. The town that I grew up in was the home of Magma Copper Company and they had two underground mines. One in my town of Superior and one in a place called San Manuel. In 1982 Magma shut the mine in Superior down and then sold both mines to BHP. By this time women working underground was more common and the company decided that the wives or any family members over 18 should have a chance to go underground to see what the workers went through down there. I will never forget the experience. I went underground in San Manuel first because Bobby worked on the hoisting system. Later he transferred back to Superior and BHP did the same thing in Superior. It is a whole different world down there and nothing like I thought it would be. My Dad worked underground and I have a picture of him walking out of one of the tunnels. I wish I had a way to scan it so you could see what it looks like. Just picture a highway tunnel that you would go through while you are driving down the road and you will get an idea of the size of it.

Glennhoney
10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
SO great to hear good news...what a miracle.........

TimothyBFan
10-14-2010, 09:05 AM
An amazing story for sure!! It was such a touching thing watching them being lifted above ground. Did you guys see the guy that brought up the bag of rocks for souvenirs and started handing them out to everyone! Good to know that someone could be in such good spirits after being trapped for so long like that.

MikeA
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Brooke
10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Excellent point, Mike.

thelongrun
10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
As I said, for sure we will hear from more cabala. Two more I just saw on the News:

The good news, when they were found alive, came on the 33th. Week of the Year

It’s been said the Journalists - reporters on the site were from… 33 Countries.

thelongrun
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
In a very hispanic mood, pretty soon we soon make jokes even about tragedy…

There was this 34th. Miner, they weren’t 33 but 34. But this guy at the moment of the accident -lucky him- he left the site to do what we do in Rest rooms.

Later on , the rescued ones became like celebrities you know, TV shows, interviews, gifts, visiting the Congress and President, media attention, advertising $$....

So, a few days later the 34th. Miner comments to his wife “Some of the boys are getting sick, Aren’t you happy we don’t have to deal with that?”… And she says pretty mad…

“All I know is some of your friends were invited to Larry King, Ophra and so, they are traveling, riding Limos, and they are getting well paid… But you? Oh no! The baby had to take a dump that very very moment!... PLOP!!

Glennsallnighter
11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Sounds like an Irish mood too. My colleagues are going to LOVE this!!

thelongrun
11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Sounds like an Irish mood too. My colleagues are going to LOVE this!!

Actually, Irish and Mexican Soldiers fought together like blood bothers in the 1800's Texas War:thumbsup:

Latest point: One of the 33 Miners, just ran this AAA Marathon in the USA and he did well, excuse me I don't recall if Boston's either Big Apple... What a storie as we said... :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Very glad the rescue was successful. Reminds me of the Hudson River Plane Crash rescue, it's always great when everyone comes out of it safe and sound. :)