PDA

View Full Version : "Return to 'Giant'"

sodascouts
10-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I just saw an article which states that Don Henley narrates a documentary about the film Giant.

I've never heard of this! Does anyone own the DVD with the documentary narrated by Don?

whitcap
10-21-2010, 02:05 AM
I found the promo on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBSuqjlxs0A

cheryl
10-21-2010, 03:40 AM
I have seen this special more than once but it has been years. Don't remember Don narrating.
The town where I grew up and the town where I live now are only 20 minutes from James Dean's home town of Fairmount, Indiana. Was there 3 weeks ago right after James Dean Days. My parents took my sister and I to Fairmount shortly after he died. I have a couple of mementos and a picture somewhere.
I may have to see if this special is available somewhere.

Prettymaid
10-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Well I'll be...

Ive always been a dreamer
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
OMG - how cool. I'd never heard of it either. I'd love to see the whole thing.

Troubadour
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
How cool is that? I had no idea.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info.

Prettymaid
10-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I have always enjoyed Don's talking voice very much.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 05:55 PM
The name is Return To Giant, and is about the making of a movie made in Texas called Giant.

http://www3.dmagazine.com/events/details/Return-to-Giant-2012

http://thetexastheatre.com/movies-events/return-to-giant

Tiffanny Twisted
09-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Awsome

That was such a historic movie since I think JAmes Dean died while making that movie.

I hope it is available on video so I can just purchase it.
Thanks VA

tt

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:17 PM
It was made in 2003. I knew about it.

Director Kirby Warnock did just that in 2003, producing Return to Giant, a documentary about the making of the classic movie made in Marfa, Texas.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 07:31 PM
**Sigh** It's been one of those days in one of those weeks in one of those months. Maybe next time I'll READ the entire thing.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I do this kind of thing all the time, VA!

I went ahead and merged this thread with the old one we had about the documentary.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I do this kind of thing all the time, VA!

I went ahead and merged this thread with the old one we had about the documentary.

Thank you, Soda!

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 02:32 AM
I've never seen Giant but always heard what a good movie it is...I looked on Amazon to see if you can get a DVD of the documentary but didn't see anything...I'd love to see it...and hear it of course!...I'm sure our Mr. Henley does a fabulous job!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey Zelda,
\

If you find where you can buy it ,please let me know. I"d be intrested in it to.
thanks
tt

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey Zelda,
\

If you find where you can buy it ,please let me know. I"d be intrested in it to.
thanks
tt

I'll keep looking ...I want to hear Don!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 06:43 AM
thanks Zelda:drool:

pueblo47
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll keep looking ...I want to hear Don!

It's available in a 2 disc set, the original movie Giant and the 2nd disc is the one you want. On Amazon.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks I just ordered it.
LOL
always wanted to see that movie.

zeldabjr
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
It's available in a 2 disc set, the original movie Giant and the 2nd disc is the one you want. On Amazon.

I saw that on Amazon but it didn't say anything about the documentary being on it so I wasn't sure?...thanks

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 07:53 PM
bRE...

i CHECKED ...KEEP SCROLING DOWN AND THE DOC IS MENTIONED TOWARDS THE END.
GOOD LUCK.

TT

zeldabjr
09-30-2012, 10:34 PM
TT...let me know how you like it..then maybe I'll order it.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Ok Zelda,
will do

tt

sodascouts
08-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't know about TT but I finally got around to ordering this last week and Don Henley does a very good job with the narration of the documentary. He doesn't dominate the narrative - most of the documentary consists of interviews of people who worked on the film, behind-the-scenes footage, and clips from its promotion (naturally) - but his contributions are well done.

As for the movie itself, as a Texan, I enjoyed its portrayal of a people who were flawed but could learn and overcome. I love and miss Texas. It has problems but every place does. It will always be my home state, no matter how long I live elsewhere, and I am proud to call myself a Texan. Honestly, it made me a little homesick. Despite the fact that Southeast Texas looks quite different from West Texas where Giant is set, it has its share of ranches, and my old hometown Beaumont was where oil was first discovered in Texas.

Elizabeth Taylor is stunning; Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Dennis Hopper are terrific. The plot moves slowly and takes its time telling the story so it's not for everyone, but it's a good example of a big Hollywood epic that captures a time and place very well.

RebeccaLovesEagles
08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I've had the movie and doc for years and i've never noticed it's Don Narrating. Maybe I need a brain/ear transfer.:steviesmack: Time to put the doc in :)

Tiffanny Twisted
08-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't know about TT but I finally got around to ordering this last week and Don Henley does a very good job with the narration of the documentary. He doesn't dominate the narrative - most of the documentary consists of interviews of people who worked on the film, behind-the-scenes footage, and clips from its promotion (naturally) - but his contributions are well done.

As for the movie itself, as a Texan, I enjoyed its portrayal of a people who were flawed but could learn and overcome. I love and miss Texas. It has problems but every place does. It will always be my home state, no matter how long I live elsewhere, and I am proud to call myself a Texan. Honestly, it made me a little homesick. Despite the fact that Southeast Texas looks quite different from West Texas where Giant is set, it has its share of ranches, and my old hometown Beaumont was where oil was first discovered in Texas.

Elizabeth Taylor is stunning; Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Dennis Hopper are terrific. The plot moves slowly and takes its time telling the story so it's not for everyone, but it's a good example of a big Hollywood epic that captures a time and place very well.

nope ordered i just have no watched it yet....love james dean ,.,,,I just needed to have it, ya know what I am saying ....

RebeccaLovesEagles
08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
K i just re-watched it. How I missed Narrator Don Henley in Big Yellow letters I don't know :) He did a great job narrating it. TT I love James Dean TOO

Houston Debutante
08-28-2013, 06:40 AM
I bought this just for Don Henley's narration but I do appreciate it as a Texan too. Really liked it.