PDA

View Full Version : Don and Stevie

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Seeing those photos Maleah posted made me want to discuss Don and Stevie a bit! They're so great together. It seems to me there is still chemistry between them - not that I think there is something "going on" but there is just this electricity when they are together!

They met when Fleetwood Mac was playing before the Eagles at a festival in 1975. When Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie broke up in 1976, they started an on-again, off-again affair which lasted a few years. Of course, she became pregnant with his baby in 1977, I believe, named it Sara, then aborted it. The song "Sara" was in part inspired by Don.

Lines from "Sara":
"He was singing... and undoing the laces..." [you guess what that means lol]
"When you build your house, call me home.." [Don was building his house at that time. I think they "had some fun" in it while it was being constructed.]

After the relationship ended in the seventies, they remained friends. Don duetted with Stevie famously on Leather and Lace, but also appeared on The Highwayman (perhaps partially inspiriting it) and Reconsider Me. She also refers to him at the end of Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You when she sings "the Men in her life were poets... priests of nothing... legends." You know that's partially Don. ;)

She always speaks of him in glowing terms, even after he "spilled the beans" about the abortion. He apologized to her profusely. He sent her 50 silver roses on her 50th birthday. They often appear at each other's charities.

And they still have chemistry to this day!

Any thoughts? Do you guys who have seen them together or seen the photos agree that they stll have chemistry?

Maleah
02-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Do I think they have chemistry still?? I think it's hard to look at recent pics of them and deny that. There just seems to still be this intimacy (like Soda.....NOT saying something is "going on" just mean this as they still seem very close) between them in the simple ways that they touch or look at each other. Like when Stevie lays he head on his shoulder or when Don's standing behind her with his arm around her shoulders/neck (I believe there are pics of both lol ;) )

Now I've never been to a concert, unfortunately, so I can't say anything about what they're like in person :? dang it :D

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 02:26 AM
I also want to add that Don supported Stevie when her father was dying in 2005. He came down with her when she did a fan meet'n'greet when he certainly didn't have to - we were all there to see Stevie, after all. He did it to help her through a hard night (her father was in the hospital at that time - he passed away a few days later).

When we realized what he was doing for Stevie, my admiration for the man just skyrocketed.

Maleah
02-03-2007, 02:32 AM
awwww see nobody really think so..............but he's a softie ;)

Seriously though, that is such a sweet story and I love it every time you tell us :)

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Seriously though, that is such a sweet story and I love it every time you tell us :)

Oops.. forgot that I already told that story! :blush:

Maleah
02-03-2007, 02:36 AM

Oops.. forgot that I already told that story! :blush:

Oops..I didn't mean to make you feel like you shouldn't have told it again :D I love it so I wouldn't care if you told me a million times! :D It just makes me admire him all the more because it was a very kind thing to do! A very caring thing to think about the fact that it would be hard for her and to step in and try to make it easier!

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 02:44 AM
I know you weren't trying to tell me not to post it - it's just embarrassing to tell stories you already have as if you haven't! lol

Maleah
02-03-2007, 02:50 AM
I know you weren't trying to tell me not to post it - it's just embarrassing to tell stories you already have as if you haven't! lol

oh pshaw don't worry about it :D I could quite possibly be the only one who remembers it ;)

freyfanatic
02-03-2007, 04:16 AM
I never knew that... Don has such a big heart and you can tell he and Stevie are as close as ever... Could it be cause of the abortion? They are absolutely awesome together and I love the pics of them together so precious...

Brooke
02-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I've never seen Don and Stevie sing together, but from the pictures and the history, it seems they remain very close friends after all this time. I love it. Although, if I were his wife I would be just a little bit jealous of that friendship. I don't know if I could take it.....them performing so much together and watching it from the sidelines. :shock:

As far as telling it again, Soda, how are all the newbies going to know if you, or anyone, quits telling their stories? They won't and the legends will fade away. We don't want that to happen! :D

Maleah
02-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I've never seen Don and Stevie sing together, but from the pictures and the history, it seems they remain very close friends after all this time. I love it. Although, if I were his wife I would be just a little bit jealous of that friendship. I don't know if I could take it.....them performing so much together and watching it from the sidelines. :shock:

I know! Wouldn't that be a little awkward if you were his wife, standing out in the audience or off to the side of the stage watching them dance together or her lay her head on his shoulder?

As far as telling it again, Soda, how are all the newbies going to know if you, or anyone, quits telling their stories? They won't and the legends will fade away. We don't want that to happen! :D

EXACTLY right! :)

Maleah
02-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Soda.......I was reading this review of a Don/Stevie concerts on The nicks Fix and it so reminded me of what we were talking about here. Especially when she talks about them being "playful" lol

Sorry about the length!

"Sacha Steele
My best friend and I just got back from Atlanta. We had to stay overnight due to the fact that we live three and half hours away in Tennessee. I got the 4 star ILoveAllAccess.com package. We sat on the Fifth Row Floor(F1), Seat 7 and 8. I was really pleased with my seats and the cute pen set. I agree with most of the observations made by the previous reviewers, so I’ll just add a few other things that I thought or noticed from the show. First, I would just like to say that the show was just terrific! Stevie seemed to have so much energy, looked so healthy and fit, and just seemed all around happier and more relaxed than she did on the SYW tour. It looks like she has had time to rest and rejuvenate, which is wonderful!

Don Henley was really a treat. I haven’t seen him except with the Eagles, so it was really special to hear his solo stuff live. His voice quality is great. His voice hasn’t change, since he started in the business. I think he is still singing everything in the same key! Don made several, cute comments to the crowd during his set in a southern accent; to the effect of, “Ya’ll had a cool, wet, spring, so ya’ll don’t have any peaches. Well, except for the ones in the audience, and I’m too old for that. You don’t have any dumaters either; that is how you say it, right?” It was funny. He also stated it was great to be back in the South.

I love how Stevie and Don interacted with each other. They were really playful! Don kissed Stevie’s cheek, forehead, and hand several times throughout the show. They whispered to each other during non-vocal parts and in between songs. During the end of “Last Worthless Evening,” Don came up behind Stevie and hugged her for along time. I thought that was really sweet. I really love the slow dance that they did during the instrumental part of “GDW,” and the way he grabbed a part of her shawl to take “her lace” during “Leather and Lace.” I thought their best duet was “NY Minute,” because Stevie was really singing her part of that song like she had lived it. It was awesome to see that they still seem to have chemistry after all these years................"

DonFan
02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I saw that same Don & Stevie show in Atlanta, and they were wonderful together.
Ah, memories....

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Exactly... seeing them together onstage is just terrific. They still have such a great relationship, it's obvious. If I were Don's wife I too would be nervous that he was spending so much time touching Stevie Nicks, but then again, I think Stevie Nicks is irresistable. ;) That dance during Gold Dust Woman was SOOOOOO HOT. And when he sang in that sexy voice "oooh... pale... shadow of a woman...." oh man. He would close his eyes and the way he sang it made you wonder if he wasn't recalling his own moments with a certain woman...

More Don and Stevie trivia: Don says Stevie is the one who inspired him to go solo after the Eagles broke up. Also, Stevie says that when 911 occurred while she was in New York for a show, one of the first people she called was Don. She told him "Your song is coming true" (regarding End of the Innocence).

Maleah
02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Ooooooooo I didn't know that soda! Wow!

I had to post those two pics that I was talking about in my first post.......plus the young one of course ;) My three fav. Don and Stevie pics that I've seen so far :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/ismile83/AHIDnS.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/ismile83/don_hanley_stevie_nicks.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/ismile83/StevieDon.jpg

glenneaglesfan
02-04-2007, 11:52 AM
This is all very interesting. I love the song "Sara" and knew a little about its background. It's rather nice that Don and Stevie are still friends and can make good music together.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Don and Stevie do have a magic spark between them, and it is wonderful how their friendship has endured after all they've been through.

I love the song Sara. One of my favorite things about it is all the 'bird' (i.e. Eagles) imagery such as the line "And he was just like a great dark wing within the wings of a storm." I believe the line "the startling flew for days" is a reference to the unborn aborted child.

It must be very difficult for Stevie to sing that song.

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Did you know that I took this one? I'm not a very good photographer, but this is one of the few photos I've taken that's come out really well. They just look so sweet together. He drew her to him when he was singing the lines "You in the moonlight, with your sleepy eyes..." which is when I took the photo.

Z
02-04-2007, 03:27 PM
They look like the definition of "soul mates" to me.

timfan
02-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Its a great pic! they sure do look good together and the genuine affection for each other just radiates thru the picture

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Stevie at the Superbowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add: Sorry, guys, got a bit carried away, just saw the woman herself doing Stand Back on the Superbowl Pre-show!

Maleah
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Did you know that I took this one? I'm not a very good photographer, but this is one of the few photos I've taken that's come out really well. They just look so sweet together. He drew her to him when he was singing the lines "You in the moonlight, with your sleepy eyes..." which is when I took the photo.

I didn't know that Soda! I LOVE that pic! Of course....the first time I saw it I was just looking at where his hand was :shock: :laugh:

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I love the song Sara. One of my favorite things about it is all the 'bird' (i.e. Eagles) imagery such as the line "And he was just like a great dark wing within the wings of a storm." I believe the line "the startling flew for days" is a reference to the unborn aborted child.

It must be very difficult for Stevie to sing that song.

There were years and years where she refused to sing it live, although in 2004, for the first time in a LONG time, she sang it. I was there when she did it for the first time in decades and I actually cried, it was so beautiful.

When Stevie sings it live, she changes it a bit. In the original, she sings "But now it's gone... it doesn't matter what for." Now, live, she first sings, "And now it's gone, they say it doesn't matter anymore," then on the last chorus she changes it to, "It's never gone; it ALWAYS matters what for." And now, she adds at the end of it, "Then the wind became crazy....just a heartbeat, but it never really died." Then, her voice rises and she sings that final line, changing it from the original past tense to the future tense: "All I ever wanted was to know that you'd be dreaming...."

Remembering the emotion in her voice when she sang it still gives me chills.

timfan
02-04-2007, 05:25 PM
oh my...it sounds beautiful. :cry:

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 05:32 PM
BTW for those of you unfamilar with Stevie's song Sara, here are the lyrics to it:

Wait a minute baby...
Stay with me awhile
Said you'd give me light
But you never told me 'bout the fire

Drowning in the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
It doesn't matter what for
When you build your house
Then call me home

And he was just like a great dark wing
Within the wings of a storm
I think I had met my match
He was singing
And undoing...and undoing the laces
Undoing the laces

Said, Sara
You're the poet in my heart
Never change, never stop
But now it's gone
It doesn't matter what for
But when you build your house
Well, then call me home

Hold on
The night is coming
And the starling flew for days
I'd stay home at night all the time
I'd go anywhere, anywhere, anywhere
Ask me and I'm there
Ask me and I'm there, 'cause I care

In the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
They say it doesn't matter anymore
If you build your house
Then, please, call me home

Sara, you're the poet in my heart
Never change, and don't you ever stop
And now it's gone
No, it doesn't matter anymore
When you build your house
I'll come by

Sara, baby
There's a heartbeat and it never really died
Never really died
Would you swallow all your pride?
Could you speak a little louder?

All I ever wanted was to know that you were dreaming...

----------------------------------

Some Don-centric interp:

The affair with Don was very passionate while it lasted. It started out as a fun fling - "light" - but then developed into something unexpectedly deeper - "fire."

The part about "building the house," as it's been said, was referring to Don building his house while they were together.

As dreamer pointed out, the man as "a great dark wing" and little starling bird work with Don and the baby (whom she named Sara). There's also some Welsh myth thrown in there, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

When Stevie talks about this song, she NEVER talks about the abortion - she talks about Don, she talks about everything but the abortion. We wouldn't have even known she had one if Don hadn't said so in an interview around 1990 or so.

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
This is another song about her abortion of their baby:

Don't take me to the tower
And take my child away
'Twas I who was the hourglass
And the sands of time like shattering glass
Went past me, like a tunnel to the sea

And I who went to sleep in tears
Woke up in tears for all of the years
And I have said goodbye before, and then
I said goodbye again

And when you hold yourself and know that
There were two, now only you remain
You'll close your eyes and travel back
To the time when the light went fading fast
And the words you'll never, ever forget...
As I slipped away...

Goodbye, baby

DonFan
02-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Soda, you are making me cry with all this talk of their aborted baby. Every time I hear "Sara" I think of the two of them. When I saw them perform together in Atlanta, it was obvious to everyone that they still care for each other. They were just so natural with each other on stage.

And, the fact that Don went on to have three children that he loves tremendously, and Stevie never had any children of her own, just makes the song even more wistful.

I was thinking about this thread on the way home from church today when the Alabama song "There's an Old Flame Burning in Your Heart," came on the radio. Do you guys know that song? Part of it goes:

"You say it ended when he left you,
You say your love for me is strong,
But those old memories stil upset you
I might be a memory before too long.

There's an old flame burning in your eyes
That tears can't drown and makeup can't disquise
That old flame may not be stronger
But it's been burning longer
Than any spark I might have started in your eyes."

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I have heard that song - my parents loved Alabama and played them a lot in the house in the 80s. I remember when Don's Storytellers was first broadcast, Don was talking about "Taking You Home" and how wonderful it was to have a baby. The camera cut to Stevie and she looked sad. And the next time I saw broadcasted, that reaction shot was edited out. I always wondered if Don had something to do with that.

Here's the MP3 of the above song if anyone wants to hear it - it's the demo version, just Stevie at the piano, recorded not long after it happened:

The Tower (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/MP3/TheTowerDemo.mp3)

And, for those who are curious, a demo version of the song Sara, with some different lyrics:

Sara Demo (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/MP3/SaraCleaningLadyDemo.mp3)

Brooke
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Did anyone see Stevie perform yesterday during the pregame festivities?

It was about 4:00 CST on CBS. She sang Stand Back and looked and sounded really great. She was dressed in a black dress. And her hair is really long! Like past her waist! :shock:

DonFan, I love that old Alabama song. One of my favorites of theirs. :D

sodascouts
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I sure did, Brooke! I thought she looked great. It's been a while since she's worn the short skirt and boots, and her hair is longer than when I last saw her.

My Stevie fandom is just as intense as my Glenn fandom. In fact, I had two plane credits that I had to use by May. One I'm using for Glenn and Pebble Beach. The other I'm using to see Stevie in Vegas in March!

Brooke
02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Excellent choices! 8)

SweetHolly
03-16-2007, 03:16 AM
I think it's so great that Don and Stevie are still friends but I think it probably makes his wife nervous though.

Maleah
06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Nancy.......I remember you talking about how "hot" Don and Stevie's dance during "Gold Dust Woman" was. I just saw them performing that on youtube and holy crap were you right! :shock: Wowzers!

SweetHolly
06-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Nancy.......I remember you talking about how "hot" Don and Stevie's dance during "Gold Dust Woman" was. I just saw them performing that on youtube and holy crap were you right! :shock: Wowzers!
There's some major hotness going on in that video. :D

DonFan
01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I've already shared this with Soda, but I'm going to post this for everyone else, too.

My daughter Rachel is working on the yearbook staff at college and she has to lay out a page using pictures she took at a music concert at Montevallo. She has never done that before, so she asked me if I would pull out my old yearbook from the University of Alabama so she could look at their concert pages for inspiration. I haven't looked at that yearbook in many years, and it is from 1975 so we had a good time laughing at the clothes and hairstyles.
I remember going to three concerts at school that year--Cheech & Chong :smokin: --they were smoking, all right, and I'll give you three guesses what; Earth Wind & Fire; and Elton John, who was very talented and very hilarious wearing a chicken suit and HUGE glasses :headbang: .

Then I turn the page and the headline says:
Buckingham and Stephanie Nicks, January 28, 1975.
There is Stevie Nicks, young, beautiful, thin, with headful of curly hair, wearing jeans, a long fringed vest, & a scarf around her neck, and playing the tamborine. Lindsey Buckingham is beside her, also very thin with a long dark curly fro. I was stunned! :shock: Rachel goes, "Mom, is that Stevie Nicks? That is so cool? Did you see her?" and I had to tell her no. :cry: I had no idea who they were at the time. Soda said that was the last concert they gave before joining Fleetwood Mac, and that the Alabama crowd loved them. Oh, I wish I had been there! Talk about a missed opportunity!

If Stevie ever tours with Don again, or I have a chance to see her solo and she does a M&G, I am taking my annual for her to autograph. I imagine she doesn't see that yearbook very often.

sodascouts
01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
As I told DonFan, the performance photos from Buckingham Nicks' last concert are a rare treasure! It would be comparable to finding a high-quality, full-page spread of Longbranch Pennywhistle or Shiloh performing. EXTREMELY cool!!!

I have a partial bootleg of that concert on my old Buckingham Nicks site (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/):

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/fun/bootleg.html

DonFan
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
It was great to be able to hear that, Soda! Thanks!
I didn't realize that Stevie recorded Rhiannon before she was with Fleetwood Mac. Or maybe she didn't record it--maybe they just played it live.

That old yearbook has another famous person in it--Sela Ward. I was a communications major--the school had just opened the communications/journalism school two years before, which is hard to believe--and Sela & I had a class together. She was a "senior beauty" and I was just a shy freshman, so we never actually talked, but she made an impression on me even then.

Brooke
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Cool story DF! I'm so sorry you missed Stevie (Stephanie) and Lindsey back then. That would be fantastic to get her to autograph your book! :idea:

And you actually knew Sela Ward?! I've always thought she was just beautiful!

And it was great to hear that early version of Rhiannon, Soda! :D

sodascouts
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I love how in that version of Rhiannon, she calls her a "WELCH witch." Perhaps she is the keeper of the jams and jellies? ;)

DonFan
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I love how in that version of Rhiannon, she calls her a "WELCH witch." Perhaps she is the keeper of the jams and jellies? ;)
:lol:

rcknalwys
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
thanks for the link, love that song....and a side note, Rhiannon is my granddaughter's name!

Brooke
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
And it's my daughter's middle name! And yep, I got it from Stevie! :D

DonFan
01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
According to CMT.com, "Sara Evans and rock group Maroon 5 joined voices to tape an episode of CMT Crossroads on Tuesday (Jan. 29) at the Factory in Franklin, Tenn. One of the songs they performed before a turn-away crowd was the Stevie Nicks-Don Henley duet, “Leather and Lace.” The show will air on CMT in May."

I bet that was interesting--but I really can't imagine anyone but Don & Stevie doing that song.

Brooke
01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
That will be interesting. I really like Sara Evans and I think she is beautiful and has a beautiful voice. She is actually from my area and b-i-l was principal at her high school.

Don't know Maroon 5 though. :blush:

Somehow I can't hear L & L done by anyone other than Stevie & Don though.

sodascouts
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
In the May 2008 issue of Q Magazine, there's a great interview with Stevie. A sweet Don mention:

"Don and I went out in 1976. Don was really my first boyfriend after Lindsey. We went out for about a year and a half. We've managed to stay really, really good, close friends, all this time. I could call him right now and I love singing with him."

Glennsallnighter
04-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Awwww! Isn't that so nice?

DonFan
04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
In the May 2008 issue of Q Magazine, there's a great interview with Stevie. A sweet Don mention:

"Don and I went out in 1976. Don was really my first boyfriend after Lindsey. We went out for about a year and a half. We've managed to stay really, really good, close friends, all this time. I could call him right now and I love singing with him."

Wow, to have a friend like that.... :hug: Lucky Stevie! Lucky Don!

Freypower
04-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm surprised Q, with its hatred of all things Eagles, didn't edit that out. :?

Brooke
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Awwww. That was sweet! :D

sodascouts
07-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Another sweet comment from Stevie about Don that I came across (can't sleep). It's regarding Leather and Lace, and it's from the TimeSpace booklet:

"I wrote this song because Waylon Jennings called me up and asked me to write a song called “Leather And Lace.” It was to be a duet for him and his wife, and I worked very hard trying to explain what it was like to be in love with someone in the same business, and how to approach dealing with each other. I have to tell you Mr. Don Henley was pretty much responsible for this song because he came over every day and told me to either start over, or that I was on the right track, and he made me finish it (because I almost gave up many times). When it was finally finished, Don and I made a very simple demo of it. And then I found out that Waylon and Jessi were breaking up and Waylon wanted to just sing it by himself. I told Waylon only four people in this world could sing this song: he and his wife, or myself and Don Henley. Don and I had been going out for quite awhile, and bless his heart, he did sing it with me, and again as fate would have it, it became one of the most special love songs that I would ever write.”

Aw!

I actually have the L&L demo on DHO (http://www.donhenleyonline.com) if anyone wants to hear it:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Awhhhh sweet :heart:

DonFan
07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I love those demos--it is nice to hear their voices unadorned and natural.

Nice new sig line, MrsH.

Mrs Henley
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Nice new sig line, MrsH.

Thank you.

TimothyBFan
07-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Glad you guys feel this way because as I posted in the Stevie thread a minute ago, I am going to start at the top of this topic and work my way thru so sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered a time or two.

Maleah
07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
No need to apologize! They went through the questions with me too! ;) I still ask for a repeat every now and then. lol

sodascouts
07-18-2008, 01:40 PM
TimothyBFan asked why Don and Stevie didn't work out. Well, we can't know for sure certainly, but here's my take on it:

Stevie had just come off of a seven-year relationship with bandmate Lindsey Buckingham, a relationship she has characterized as "marriage without the piece of paper." She has said Lindsey was always serious and brooding, and here came Don, the handsome "rock star" who bore a striking resemblance to Lindsey. They were two very different men, however. According to Stevie, Lindsey was always so brooding, always so intense, and always so negative about the attention she received. She met him when they were in high school and according to her, he got jealous after they were famous. He told her she'd changed, that she'd "gone Hollywood" so to speak, and that he didn't like it. He accused her of flirting with men onstage, and he even admitted himself he wasn't comfortable with seeing all the men in the audience panting after "my woman."

Contrast that with Don. Stevie says says Don taught her how to have fun, to spend money, to enjoy her fame. He didn't mind all the men wanting her... in fact, her sexy stage presence was part of Don's attraction to her. Unlike Lindsey, who was always talking about the "old Stevie," Don accepted her for what she was THEN, not what she had been. He treated her like a fellow rock star, and she loved it. She loved that Don would send a Lear jet to pick her up just so that he could spend a night with her. She loved that Don would buy the finest champagne and lavish gifts upon her. One time he filled Fleetwood Mac's green room with gifts for Stevie, which enraged Lindsey, but Stevie ate it up.

However, one can't discount the "rebound" factor. Stevie says she felt obligated to try to play down her relationship with Don around Lindsey so as not to set him off. She says she never felt free to talk about it, or any of her boyfriends later. She was also having a hard time truly separating herself from Lindsey. She admits that she still felt connected to Lindsey, that when they would go onstage together, sometimes, it would feel like the old days and she would feel drawn to him again. It was a very difficult time for her. It also explains why Don threw in that Sara was his child "to the best of my knowledge" although as a gentlemen he shouldn't have even implied Stevie could have been wrong, IMHO. I think, at that time, she simply was not free to totally give her heart to Don.

Another factor is that at the time, they were both free-wheelin' rock stars at the height of their fame (Rumours/HC period) and I think Don wasn't looking for anything permanent then. They were both touring and didn't get to see each other very often, although when Don was on a break Stevie would come stay with him at the house he shared with Glenn (Funny story about that in the Glenn and Stevie thread, if you want to look at that in the Glenn forum). It was not long after the abortion that they broke up, so they may not have been able to deal with it (just speculating).

But they parted amicably and with affection, and have always had a connection which is visible to this day. Still, Don did not make the list of her "three great loves" - JOE did. Lindsey did. But not Don. Like I said, I think the timing was just bad. She simply was not over Lindsey, even though she ended it. When half your heart is with someone else, you can't have a "great love."

JMHO!

TimothyBFan
07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Soda--anyone else have an opinion on this because I truly am intrigued now? A couple more questions tho:

1. I've seen mention before and above-Stevie's 3 great loves, Joe, Lindsey and who is the 3rd and where has she spoken of them?

2. How long has Don been married?

3. If he wasn't married, after all these years do you think he and Stevie would find their way back to each other? Lord knows they sure seem to be close enough now to consider it.

4. Glenn and Stevie? Now I have to read that also. How many Eagles has she had some sort of relationship with? Not Timmy right?

sodascouts
07-18-2008, 02:27 PM
1. I've seen mention before and above-Stevie's 3 great loves, Joe, Lindsey and who is the 3rd and where has she spoken of them?

She says the third is Mick Fleetwood. Everyone's kind of mystified by that. With Joe and Lindsey, she talks about the fact that she might have married them. Mick and she were more of a fling, although a two-year fling, lol. She admits that it was largely fueled by cocaine. Sometimes I wonder if she just doesn't want him to feel left out, so she sticks him on the list. Oh well!

:shrug:

She talks about the "three great loves" often, in many interviews. Here's one I found on a quick search:

Spin Magazine 1997 (http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php?page=index_v2&id=217&c=11) (Excerpt)

"CL: Tell me more about your love life.

SN: Well, when Lindsey and I broke up during Rumours, I started going out with Don Henley. And you know, I was like the biggest Eagles fan of life.

CL: "Warm smell of colitas...."

SN: [Laughing] Totally. And we went out, off and on, for about two years.

CL: That's a perfect couple right there. I mean, that's the California, the San Andreas Fault couple. He was really cute, too.

SN: He was really cute, and he was elegant. Don taught me to spend money.

CL: How did he teach you to spend money? I've never had a guy do that for me.

SN: Well, I just watched him, that's how. He didn't visibly set out to do that. I just watched him. He was okay with, say, buying a house like that [snaps her fingers], or sending a Learjet to pick you up.

[...]

CL: Wow. You know, I still think Don Henley is sexy.

SN: He is sexy. He's such an interesting guy. Here's one thing that Don did that freaked my band out so much. We're all in Miami, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. They're recording at this gorgeous house they'd rented on the water. It's totally romantic.

CL: Is it pink?

SN: It's pink.

CL: Of course it's pink.

SN: It's like Mar-a-Lago. Anyway, he sends a limousine driver over to our hotel with a box of presents for me, and they're delivered right into the breakfast room where everyone's eating. There's a stereo, a bunch of fabulous records. There's incredible flowers and fruits, beautiful...

CL: Pomegranates and figs and dates, of course.

SN: Yes. And...

CL: Oh, I love him!

SN: The limousine driver is taking all this out onto the table and I'm going, Oh, please, please, this is not going to go down well. And they want to know who it's from. And Lindsey is not happy.

CL: Gardenias?

SN: Yeah. So I started going out with him. And this is not popular. Sure, Lindsey and I are totally broken up, I have every right in the world to go out with people, but.... I spend most of my time with the band, and it's not real conducive to having a relationship. So I went out with Don for a while, I went out with [Eagles songwriter] J.D. Souther for a while. We had an incredible time.

CL: But he wasn't as famous as you. It must have been a lot more fun going out with somebody just as famous.

SN: Well, all those Eagles were an interesting group of guys. They were such good songwriters. I was blown away. I was totally awestruck. I mean, I was very, very famous, but it didn't make me less awestruck with these men than anybody else. I was just as big of a fan. And then.... We're just doing a condensed version of what happened with me. And then I fell in love with Mick [Fleetwood]. And that went on for two years. Never in a million years could you have told me that would happen. That was the biggest surprise. Mick is definitely one of my great, great loves.

CL: How was that between Lindsey and Mick?

SN: That was not good. That was not good for anybody else in the band. Everybody was so angry, because Mick was married. To a wonderful girl and he had two wonderful children, and I was horrified. I loved these people. I loved his family. So it couldn't possibly work out. And it didn't. It just couldn't.

CL: And the drugs?

SN: The drugs didn't help, needless to say. We did a lot of blow."

2. How long has Don been married?Since 1995.

3. If he wasn't married, after all these years do you think he and Stevie would find their way back to each other? Lord knows they sure seem to be close enough now to consider it.Stevie has hinted that if Lindsey weren't married she would be with him, but I've never heard her say something like that about Don.

4. Glenn and Stevie? Now I have to read that also. How many Eagles has she had some sort of relationship with? Not Timmy right?Stevie never had any romantic relationship with Glenn, as far as I know. I was just talking about a story she tells about Glenn kind of dissing her when she was with Don. Read more here:
Glenn and Stevie (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102) (BTW, that thread was transferred over from our old board Flip City... in the transfer, some of the replies got out of order, so it's a bit confusing. Sorry!)

There is much more on Joe. Read about that here:
Joe and Stevie (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209) (we talked about Don there too, so you'll see some repetition)

Stevie has not had relationships with any other Eagles, to the best of my knowledge.

glenneaglesfan
07-19-2008, 04:09 AM
That has been a really good read! Thanks for posting it, Soda, and TBF for posing the questions. It seems the interviewer was falling in love with Don just listening to Stevie talking about him!

DonFan
07-19-2008, 09:02 AM
That has been a really good read! Thanks for posting it, Soda, and TBF for posing the questions. It seems the interviewer was falling in love with Don just listening to Stevie talking about him!

I can certainly understand how that could happen! :nod:

Angel
08-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Hello! I'm a friend of Nancy's and I love Stevie and Don!

I agree that it didn't work out because she was on the rebound from Lindsey. Look at Lindsey and Don, they were dead ringers for each other back then. Plus there was no way Stevie and Don were ready to settle down at that point.

I was at AHI 2005 too, and I got the donor package just like Nancy, so I also met Stevie AND Don! Don was so nice! He and Stevie were so cute together! I loved the Two Voices tour too, I went to two shows.

I post a lot on Fleetwood Mac message boards like The Ledge but I thought I'd check out Nancy's new board for the Eagles. She needs to update BuckinghamNicks.net again though! (just kidding - sorta :lol:)

sodascouts
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey girl! Good to see you! I'll get to BN.net one of these days, but with graduation and travelling and vacation, I can't even keep up with these sites as well as I should. I only have two hands!

TimothyBFan
08-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Angel :angel:-Welcome!! Any friend of Nancy's is a friend of ours here at the board. :thumbsup:

Brooke
08-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Welcome from me, too, Angel. Glad to have you here!

I love FM, too! :-D

DonFan
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Welcome, Angel!
Stevie and Don really do have fabulous chemistry together, don't they?

glenneaglesfan
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Angel, and welcome to the Border! Nancy has done a fantastic job here hasn't she? I hope you'll enjoy looking at some of the other threads and meeting some of the other members here.

Mrs Henley
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Angel!

Welcome at the Border! :D

Oh I love FM! :heart:

08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Welcome from me as well, Angel. Glad you found us and enjoy yourself here on the Border. Hope you like our new board here! :thumbsup:

Maleah
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Welcome Angel! As TimothyBFan said.......any friend of Nancy's is a friend of ours! Glad to have you!

Angel
08-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I don't know if I'll have much time to post but it's great how friendly everyone is. :)

BTW, the board sure looks different! I like it! :thumbsup:

Littlemelly9
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
You Wonder if They Still Have Chemistery?

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88/Littlemelly9/1540998.jpg?t=1220390707

DonFan
09-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, they definitely still have chemistry!

I found this post on a blog listing the top 20 piano-driven songs. Sara came in at No 11.

Fleetwood Mac: Sara
Stevie Nicks wrote “Sara” in 1978 with her close friend at the time of the same name. One of the more mainstream songs to come from Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” album and a favorite of their millions of fans. When Stevie Nicks finally decided to enlist the help of the Betty Ford Clinic for her addiction to cocaine, she signed in using the name “Sara”. Many believe this song to be about drama filled romance with Don Henley and the loss of their unborn child. Haunting, poetic and deeply personal.

sodascouts
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree - they still have chemistry. It's obvious they are still very close. "Sara" gives me chills, even more so knowing the backstory.

sodascouts
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Just found this clip on YouTube:

Stevie talks a bit about her relationship with Don (1991)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYy50-MnSM)

DonFan
11-09-2008, 09:38 AM
He treats her like they are married, huh?
It is nice that she still refers to their time together as a "special relationship."

sodascouts
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
OK, this emoticon was made for Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, but it works great for Stevie and Don Henley, too! (Of course, I'm sure they fought a LOT less. lol)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cdvhjc.gif

lol! I think I should add this to our smiley library!

EagleLady
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
:rofl: OMG Nancy that is so neat

Maleah
01-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Is she hitting him? Or what exactly is giong on? lol :steviesmack:

sodascouts
01-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Looks to me like she's clocking him with her tambourine!

Prettymaid
01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
:steviesmack: I can hear them now ... " Thank you Lindsey " ..." Thank you Stevie!"

Brooke
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Ha! Cute!

sodascouts
04-01-2009, 11:46 PM
As Stevie fans know, she is infamous for saying the same songs are about completely different things/people depending on her mood and for reasons only she herself knows. Still, this latest self-contradiction made me laugh out loud!

From EW.com, 2009 (http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/03/stevie-nicks-in.html):

EW: Some people have said [Sara] is about Don Henley, whom you dated around that time too...

"He wishes! If Don wants to think the' 'house' [from the line "if you build your house"] was one of the 90 houses he built—and he did build house after beautiful house, and once they were done, he would move because he wasn’t interested in them anymore [laughs]... No. He is one of my best friends in the world. If anything happened to me, he would be there, always. But if someone said that, they're so full of s---!"

Well, Stevie, SOMEONE did say that....

From US Magazine, July 1990 (http://www.inherownwords.com/sara.htm)

[On whether the line in the song Sara, 'When you build your house, I'll come by' is about Don Henley, whom she was dating at the time?]

Stevie: (laughs) "That is true. He did [build the house]. And I was in it before he finished it."

Ah, Stevie Nicks, woman of a thousand stories, lol. Or is this her version of April Fools? ;)

TimothyBFan
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Our Stevie is a wee bit fickle I say!!!:brickwall:

04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh well - a girl can't be expected to remember everything - especially if it happened in the 70's! :confused: :lol:

Troubadour
04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
LOL!

AzEaglesFan
04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
It happened in the 70s and she is 60 so she should be able to see things any way she wants to. lol:thumbsup:

sodascouts
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I was talking to a couple of friends about this, friends who love Stevie and follow her words and were just as surprised by this as I was because she has said that the line is about Don so many times (the above is just one example of many). We came up with a theory...

As you guys know, Sara is (at least partially) about a sensitive subject and Don told a magazine c. 1991 that the whole song was about their aborted child. While Stevie has said the "house" line is about Don before, she's never confirmed what Don said about the song being a tribute to the spirit of the baby (although an examination of the lyrics bears him out). This question... that asks if the song is about Don.. might have hit too close to home and she went into "deflect the question" mode.

Makes a bit more sense than a complete contradiction of something she's said so many times!

AmarilloByMorning
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Were I the songwriter, I would fabricate 14,000 alternate explanations to disguise the true origin of "Sara." I concur with the suggestion that she's deflecting; it seems completely reasonable behavior on her part. Just my opinion (though isn't everything, really?).

sodascouts
06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Hello Amarillo and welcome! I love that song, by the way.

TimothyBFan
06-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Welcome Amarillo!! Enjoy your stay at The Border!!

AmarilloByMorning
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Sodascouts - Brilliant song, isn't it? I thought it fitting, too - a cowboy tune written in the '70s.

TimothyBFan - I'm one as well. I need to change my icon; it inaccurately reflects my favorite band member. Hmm. Note to self: google Timothy pics. Actually, now is a good time... Thanks for the inspiration!

sodascouts
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm resurrecting this old thread because as I was searching through some old audio files to find something (never did find it), I found Don's sweet introduction of Stevie at a Walden Woods benefit in 2002:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/StevieIntroWalden2002.mp3

Maleah
03-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Aww how sweet is that! "I just love her, that's all"

EaglesKiwi
03-09-2011, 05:04 AM
That IS lovely.

sodascouts
08-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Stevie's on Jim Ladd tonight - I'm listening live right now on KLOS (http://www.955klos.com/article.asp?id=625820) - and they just gushed about Don a bit. Stevie says that she agrees with Waddy Wachtel's quote that "A bad night for Don Henley is a good night for the rest of us." Ladd said that he thought Don's phrasing was so unique that it's instantly identifiable. Stevie called his voice "amazing." They played her song "The Highwayman" and compared it to "Desperado." Lots of Don-love!

ETA: Ladd thinks Don's "Miss Ghost" is about Stevie too! He asked if her song "Ghosts Are Gone" was a response to Don!

08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Well Stevie is right about Don's voice! :thumbsup:

And that is very interesting about the two ghost songs. Although, I'm not buying that Don was still writing songs about Stevie in the late 90's. Especially when much of the Inside Job album is about his marriage and family. Who knows though? I guess only Don knows for sure. :)

sodascouts
08-03-2011, 02:01 AM
It's impossible to say for sure who the woman is, but we know who the woman is not: "Miss Ghost" is not his wife.

In the song, the man is turning away from the specter of a former lover - "a faded love that wasn't right." The titular "Miss Ghost" is a part of his hedonistic past, a woman he's leaving behind. He won't even have a one-night stand with her because he recognizes that it would be destructive to get drawn back into that lifestyle. (For those unfamiliar with the lyrics, you can check them out here (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/insidejob/missghost.htm).)

It's just as likely to be Stevie as any other of his past girlfriends; perhaps moreso, as their affair was wild, relatively short-lived, and took place during the height not only of their careers but also at the height of their drug abuse and bacchanalian excesses. By contrast, his more long-term, serious girlfriends would not necessarily be associated with that kind of lifestyle. He even considered marrying one of them. I get the impression the woman in the song is someone he hasn't been with for quite a while... not someone he broke up with a few years prior after a lengthy period of living together as de facto man and wife.

I have also considered that "Miss Ghost" might not be about one woman, but rather is a figurative embodiment of the 70s "rock star" lifestyle itself - a lifestyle dedicated to the unrestrained pursuit of sensual pleasures. His refusal of "Miss Ghost" might symbolize his determination not to return to that lifestyle, one that appears so attractive and yet turns out in the end to lead to self-destruction.... STDs, drug dependence, alcoholism, etc. On an emotional level, it also engenders traits like selfishness, egotism, and an ever-increasing insatiability coupled with ever-diminishing self-control... it's a recipe for disaster. Any attempts at a committed, monogamous relationship are inevitably crippled.

Regardless of whether "Miss Ghost" is literal or figurative (or a bit of both), it is not a love song to his wife, nor is it a song about his happy new family life. However, it can be viewed as a moment of revelation that enabled him to commit to that new life. Perhaps this song is a precursor to "Everything Is Different Now" in that sense. Thus, I believe speculating the song is about (or at least partially inspired by) Stevie does not detract from Inside Job's "marriage and family" theme at all; on the contrary, it fits in with the theme rather nicely.

And it seems Jim Ladd agrees!

Henley Honey
08-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Excellent synopsis, Soda. That's how I see it as well, but I could not have been as succinct or eloquent. It must have taken great fortitude and courage of conviction to have changed lifestyles so completely, and writing about those changes would seem natural.

sodascouts
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks HH! I too admire the strength Don displayed in turning away from that lifestyle. He says that nowadays he only drinks like twice a year!

08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree that is an excellent analysis of the song "Miss Ghost", Soda and I would pretty much agree with just about everything you said. But, I buy more into the interpretation that "Miss Ghost" is probably the figurative embodiment of the '70's rock star lifestyle than about any one specific woman. I guess I just think it seems odd (and even a little bit "icky") that at that particular time in his life, Don would have been writing a song about any one particular woman other than his wife, no matter what the song were about.

Maleah
08-08-2011, 02:21 AM
I guess I just think it seems odd (and even a little bit "icky") that at that particular time in his life, Don would have been writing a song about any one particular woman other than his wife, no matter what the song were about.

There's always the possibility that it wasn't exactly written during THAT time in his life. Perhaps it was written long before and just happened to surface for that album? Who knows. lol

sodascouts
08-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Honestly I don't see anything "icky" about it at all. Don is an artist who draws inspiration from his life experiences. Since the woman of the past is disowned here... I really don't get how this is "icky." :shrug: Lindsey Buckingham is married with three kids and he still writes about Stevie in songs like "Say Goodbye."

08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
There's always the possibility that it wasn't exactly written during THAT time in his life. Perhaps it was written long before and just happened to surface for that album? Who knows. lol

That is very true Maleah. I'm not sure when the song was written although stylistically it seems to fit into the same time period as other songs from the Inside Job album, IMHO. But, I agree - who knows?

As far as it seeming "icky" that Don would be writing songs about other women during this time, I guess that's all in the way you look at it. I guess Soda and I will have to just agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I'm selfish, but I don't think I'd be too happy if my 'significant other' was writing songs about a specific woman in his past, artist or not. JMHO

Brooke
08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd have to agree with Dreamer on this. (Surprise!) I would not be a happy camper if my husband/s.o. was writing songs about a past lover! Nope, not at all! :nope:

Henley Honey
08-08-2011, 03:37 PM
If the song had been a "miss you, still love you, want you back" type of song, I'd agree with the "ick" factor, but we're talking about Miss Ghost.

What dirty tricks the mind can play in the lonely dead of night
When you bump into the shadows of a faded love that wasn't right

And even though you've come for me
I won't go back with you to some temporary heaven
Down some dead-end avenue

But its been good to have you here
And I propose a toast
"Here's to seeing through you" Miss Ghost

Doesn't sound like much of a love song to me.
And if its true that you write about what you know -- what your life's experiences have been -- then it makes even more sense that he'd write about past loves and personal conflicts. I see it more of a timeline reference of his former bachelor life and his current family life, not a
lost-love song.

08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
And if its true that you write about what you know -- what your life's experiences have been -- then it makes even more sense that he'd write about past loves and personal conflicts. I see it more of a timeline reference of his former bachelor life and his current family life, not a lost-love song.

Yeah I agree with this on this, HH. I didn't mean to imply that it would be ickey for Don to write about his past experiences, including women in his past. My objection would be to him writing songs about a specific woman in his past, no matter what the context. But, like I said ,that's just me. If others don't have a problem with it, that is certainly their prerogative. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Stevie tells the story of Don advising her on "Dreams" again in her latest interview (http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/09/gold-dust-woman-a-qa-with-stevie-nicks/2/) (the bolded parts are the interviewer's comments):
Sometimes when I write a song, [...] I have a little overhead lightbulb thing that goes off, so then I’m never going to go back and change that even though a good example is Don Henley—I was going out with Don Henley when I was writing “Dreams,” and it says [sings], “When the rain washes you clean, you’ll know.” Well, he didn’t like that [sings]“washes you” [accent on “es”], and he wanted me to go, “When the rain washes you clean” [accent on “wash”]. And I’m like, “No, I don’t like it.” [laughs] And he’s like, “Well, wash-ES doesn’t sound good,” and I’m like, “Well, wash-ES is the way it’s gonna be.” So then you start getting into that with somebody, and we’re talking an ego [of] a fantastic songwriter here. So I’m arguing with Don Henley over this, you know? That’s why I really stayed away from writing songs with other people.

Especially men, I guess.

Well, yeah, and but then if you slip it over to women, then of course women are more sensitive. So then you’re really actually going to hurt somebody’s feelings. It didn’t hurt Don’s feelings that I didn’t like his idea. I think he just—he was like, way more famous than me, you know, Don Henley and the Eagles—so I think he probably just thought, “Well, you’re an idiot.” And just left it at that because certainly, me not liking the word “washes” is not going to wreck Don Henley’s confidence. But at the same time, it was a little thorn there for a moment.

It’s interesting that you say, “He was way more famous than me.” In retrospect—and it’s so strange to ask a question like this: “Do you guys ever sit there and consider who is more famous?”—but honestly, as time has gone by, wouldn’t you say it’s pretty much equaled out?

Well, maybe. But then, that was—well, when was “Dreams”? Was “Dreams” on the first or second record; I can never remember—whatever, when Lindsey and I drove to Los Angeles in 1971, “Witchy Woman” was on the radio, “One of These Nights” was on the radio, and we were totally inspired by them and by their amazing harmonies and amazing song craftsmanship. So in my little mind, this was two years—1976 is when it was, because that’s when I went out with Don—so in my mind, they had been famous for a good solid five, six years longer than than we had been famous. So I was listening to the Eagles long before I even knew if we’d make it or not. There’s bands that are famous—well it’s generations —five years before us, and then us, and there’s the five-years-after-us generation, and then there’s even older than that, which would be Eric Clapton and his generation, a little bit older than the Eagles generation. So that’s actually like a two-year-older generation, so each one of those generations brought up these amazing bands, so I, Stevie Nicks, would open for the Eagles in a second because they’re awesome and they were my big inspiration.

Brooke
09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
so I, Stevie Nicks, would open for the Eagles in a second because they’re awesome and they were my big inspiration.

Now wouldn't that be awesome?! :woah:

WalshFan88
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Now wouldn't that be awesome?! :woah:

Very! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Now wouldn't that just top off a 40th anniversary tour!!!!! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Now wouldn't that just top off a 40th anniversary tour!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hearing "Edge Of Seventeen" and "Hotel California" in the same day?! How would I ever be able to contain myself. :partytime: :hilarious: That's an amazing thought.

sodascouts
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
While I would prefer an Eagles/Fleetwood Mac show, having Stevie open for the Eagles would be second best to that scenario. Oh my gosh, I would be in ecstasies!!!! Especially if Don came out during her set and they did "Leather in Lace" the way it SHOULD be done. Hearing her do it with Rod Stewart made me throw up in my mouth a little. As for the vocal coach she has singing it with her now... "pale shadow" indeed. Even a singer who I really like, Adam Levine, couldn't' come close (their performance of it is here (http://youtu.be/JFvLZ8Ny928)). No one can sing that song like Don Henley! Maybe she could join the Eagles for something too and sing with Glenn.... holy crap! My heart races just imagining it!

But experiencing the awesomeness that is Stevie as well as the awesomeness that is the Eagles in one night - especially if they did a couple songs together - just might rock my world so hard I'd have to be carried out on a stretcher. ;)

EaglesKiwi
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Stevie & the Eagles would be absolutely fantastic. :grooving:

If Stevie was going to sing with Glenn, though, I'd want them to choose the song carefully. Some of Glenn's leads are so iconic that it wouldn't sound quite right having ANYBODY else do it with him (Take It Easy for example). But others could work really well...

Henleyfan
09-03-2011, 02:20 AM
While I would prefer an Eagles/Fleetwood Mac show, having Stevie open for the Eagles would be second best to that scenario. Oh my gosh, I would be in ecstasies!!!! Especially if Don came out during her set and they did "Leather in Lace" the way it SHOULD be done. Hearing her do it with Rod Stewart made me throw up in my mouth a little. As for the vocal coach she has singing it with her now... "pale shadow" indeed. Even a singer who I really like, Adam Levine, couldn't' come close (their performance of it is here (http://youtu.be/JFvLZ8Ny928)). No one can sing that song like Don Henley! Maybe she could join the Eagles for something too and sing with Glenn.... holy crap! My heart races just imagining it!

But experiencing the awesomeness that is Stevie as well as the awesomeness that is the Eagles in one night - especially if they did a couple songs together - just might rock my world so hard I'd have to be carried out on a stretcher. ;)

That definitely would be a show worth any amount of the money.... One that both my husband (who loves Stevie) and I (who loves Don) would enjoy equally. With that said, don't you think a few wives, namely Don's and Joe's, would be a little uneasy if Stevie toured with them. She has said that Joe will always be the love of her life, and her and Don have a bond that is very special... If I was either of their wives I would be a little uneasy.

sodascouts
09-03-2011, 12:03 PM
It's true Stevie has said that Joe is the love of her life, but he's never said the same about her! It's always seemed to me that she was way more invested in their relationship than he was. Plus, in recent interviews, she's backpedaled on that some and started re-emphasizing Lindsey Buckingham as her "great love." As for Joe's wife, I believe she travels with the band so she could keep an eye on things if she felt any misgivings. ;)

As far as Don goes, he's already toured with Stevie in 2005, so his wife must be OK with it or at least have accepted his decision.

I have to admit that it would take a very secure woman not to feel threatened by Stevie Nicks, though!

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I mentioned in another thread that Stevie talked to Don on 9/11 from New York and also over the next couple of days. Here is something she shared in her journals on her website (http://rockalittle.com/stevies_journal.htm) that I thought was touching:

=============================

September 18th, 2001
Tuesday Morning
Washington, D.C.
4:15 a.m.
We just came in from Columbus, OH. Today was a very bad day for me. It’s almost too much for me to bear out here… I called my Mom, and I called my friend, Don Henley for a pep talk. Don says, the Eagles are recording but it is very hard now. At first he said, “Just come home, honey”, but after a minute, he said, “Are people coming to the shows?” I said, “Yes.” The he said, “Well, Stevie, if you can gut it out, and make people happy for a minute, then try and stay out there.” I heard him….
[...]
So we did the show tonight in Columbus, and it was good, love conquers all, people were happy –
I just have to hang on…
Thank you God, Mom & Don for getting me through this day ~

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Thank you so much for posting that, Soda. I was inquiring about what you put in the other thread about TEOTI.

When I get the time, I definitely have to go in to that link and check out the journals. Very interesting I'm sure. She's another artist I would love dearly to read an autobiography from.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Stevie has often said she wants to write an autobiography, but she wants to wait until she's really old because she feels her "story isn't over yet."

sodascouts
09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Stevie comments on the Eagles and the song "Witchy Woman"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNzSIOamSs&feature=player_embedded

Freypower
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
That was interesting; but please let me say that I loved & endorsed her comments about Kate Bush. She would nail Running Up That Hill. She would be one of the few singers who could do it justice.

sodascouts
04-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Dreamer found this photo of them, from the time they were dating:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/don/DHenleySNicks70s.jpg

Tiffanny Twisted
04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I mentioned in another thread that Stevie talked to Don on 9/11 from New York and also over the next couple of days. Here is something she shared in her journals on her website (http://rockalittle.com/stevies_journal.htm) that I thought was touching:

=============================

September 18th, 2001
Tuesday Morning
Washington, D.C.
We just came in from Columbus, OH. Today was a very bad day for me. It’s almost too much for me to bear out here… I called my Mom, and I called my friend, Don Henley for a pep talk. Don says, the Eagles are recording but it is very hard now. At first he said, “Just come home, honey”, but after a minute, he said, “Are people coming to the shows?” I said, “Yes.” The he said, “Well, Stevie, if you can gut it out, and make people happy for a minute, then try and stay out there.” I heard him….
[...]
So we did the show tonight in Columbus, and it was good, love conquers all, people were happy –
I just have to hang on…

thankd for posting this one ..I really love it. such words of wisdom from a great man and a great friend

Houston Debutante
04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
They are so sweet together, too bad they couldn't make it work. I love reading things like that, shows the kind of man Don is.

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 01:30 AM
It's Stevie Nicks' birthday today, and in honor of that, I thought I'd revive this thread with a nice little interview snippet where she talks about Don (this is from the 80s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYy50-MnSM

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Now, Don doesn't appear in this video, but his voice does - she's recording her vocal and, at the end, she kind of hums over the first part of his vocal. I think it's cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvZzLJYgvc

05-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Love both of those, Soda!

MaryCalifornia
05-26-2014, 02:25 PM
She is so gorgeous. Love your signature, Soda.

Houston Debutante
05-26-2014, 09:50 PM
These are great videos, Stevie was so lucky ~ beautiful, huge rock star, rich, and she got to have Don Henley too!

DivineDon
05-27-2014, 09:21 AM
These are great videos, Stevie was so lucky ~ beautiful, huge rock star, rich, and she got to have Don Henley too!

I hate her!!!

DJ
05-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I hate her!!!

I feel sorry for her because who has she really had in her life? She's never been married and at this point in time does she have a guy. I think from what I've heard her say she lost Don and that was a big hit for her...I Pity her..

sodascouts
05-27-2014, 09:59 PM
You pity Stevie Nicks because she isn't married or dating anyone seriously?

Yeah, because no matter what a woman's accomplished in her life, she's nothing unless she's married or at the very least in a relationship, right?

Sigh.

You know who I pity? Women who believe that they need to have a man in their life to validate their existence.

05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Amen sista!

ktdids
05-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Hmm, I think I ENVY the relationship that Stevie has with Don now. I mean, it's a warm, caring and understanding friendship, right? Who'd throw those away?

sodascouts
05-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Gosh, yes, they are so sweet together now. Did you listen to that audio clip I posted a while back where Don is introducing her at a benefit and he gushes over her?

I'll just bring it forward:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/StevieIntroWalden2002.mp3

MaryCalifornia
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM
From Wikipedia:

Nicks has said that she consciously chose not to have children of her own, due to her demanding career and desire to follow her art wherever it should take her: "My mission maybe wasn't to be a mom and a wife; maybe my particular mission was to write songs to make moms and wives feel better."[96] She finds maternal fulfillment through her niece, godchildren, and extended family: "I have lots of kids. It's much more fun to be the crazy auntie than it is to be the mom, anyway."[97]

I will admit I have always felt sorry for Condoleezza Rice, solely because of the fact that she literally has no family - she was an only child and both parents have passed. She used to spend holidays with the Bushes. I think this reflex on my part is just an acknowledgement that no matter how accomplished or successful or famous a person is, family is important. Not taking anything away from what she's done in her life. It has always seemed to me that Stevie has a strong familial support system.

DivineDon
05-28-2014, 04:25 AM
I feel sorry for her because who has she really had in her life? She's never been married and at this point in time does she have a guy. I think from what I've heard her say she lost Don and that was a big hit for her...I Pity her..

You know DJ I was joking! I don't know the woman so I don't literally hate her. Am I jealous she had a relationship with Don - definitely!!

By the way I'm single and don't feel the need to validate that to anyone. I'm close enough to a bad marriage in my family to be able to say '...thank you very much but no thanks...'

I'd never be able to persue what I'm doing if I had a family so I'm grateful for that.

shunlvswx
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Would you believe that I didn't know Don and Stevie were a couple until a few years ago? When I was a kid, I had Stevie's greatest hits and I remember I use to skip Leather and Lace all the time. LOL I remember Don singing on that song, but I didn't know who he was The song has really grown on me over the years.

I didn't know Sara was about Don and their baby. I just learn that last year. I always loved Sara, but I didn't know the story behind the song. I think their child would had been a beautiful talented child. Have the good looks of her parents.

I would read that they had an affair, but wouldn't it be an affair if they both were dating other people. I never got that I read that about other artists.

DJ
05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Ok enough of all the "hating" the reason I said pity her is because to me and me alone she seems sad. Not because she doesn't have a man, a woman doesn't need a man, but because I think, and again my opinion, she had Don and doesn't have him now. And maybe she isn't sad because she Did have Don at one time. She's probably had a lot of other great relationships, it just seems to me that Don was her "one"! She also lost their baby which is also sad. I did listen to the audio and I think that is why She and Don are still close, because they knew what they had and because of circumstances they don't have "just" each other. Doesn't mean they couldn't go on to have meaningful relationships again, which is obvious with Don, I don't know about Stevie. Perhaps pity wasn't the correct word maybe I should have said I Empathize with her.
Don't get me wrong I don't think you need anyone to be happy with yourself and if she' happy than more power to her. So again, I didn't mean she needed a man to make her happy, if someone close to me heard that they would faint!

Freypower
05-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Ok enough of all the "hating" the reason I said pity her is because to me and me alone she seems sad. Not because she doesn't have a man, a woman doesn't need a man, but because I think, and again my opinion, she had Don and doesn't have him now. And maybe she isn't sad because she Did have Don at one time. She's probably had a lot of other great relationships, it just seems to me that Don was her "one"! She also lost their baby which is also sad. I did listen to the audio and I think that is why She and Don are still close, because they knew what they had and because of circumstances they don't have "just" each other. Doesn't mean they couldn't go on to have meaningful relationships again, which is obvious with Don, I don't know about Stevie. Perhaps pity wasn't the correct word maybe I should have said I Empathize with her.
Don't get me wrong I don't think you need anyone to be happy with yourself and if she' happy than more power to her. So again, I didn't mean she needed a man to make her happy, if someone close to me heard that they would faint!

Are you not aware that her relationship with Joe was deeper & lasted much longer than her affair with Don? That is what I have always believed. I am happy for Soda to correct me if she thinks the two relationships were equally significant & long lasting. I do know that she has on occasion described either Joe or Lindsey Buckingham as the love of her life; not Don, but again, perhaps I am wrong on this.

Freypower
05-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Would you believe that I didn't know Don and Stevie were a couple until a few years ago? When I was a kid, I had Stevie's greatest hits and I remember I use to skip Leather and Lace all the time. LOL I remember Don singing on that song, but I didn't know who he was The song has really grown on me over the years.

I didn't know Sara was about Don and their baby. I just learn that last year. I always loved Sara, but I didn't know the story behind the song. I think their child would had been a beautiful talented child. Have the good looks of her parents.

I would read that they had an affair, but wouldn't it be an affair if they both were dating other people. I never got that I read that about other artists.

I see what you mean about the word affair normally being used if both people are married & one partner is cheating (as in the Lyin' Eyes scenario) but we use it for this relationship just as we do for Glenn's relationship with Joni Mitchell; the point being that neither relationship was long lasting. You would not call Stevie's relationship with Joe an 'affair' (although see my edit to the previous post).

DJ
05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Are you not aware that her relationship with Joe was deeper & lasted much longer than her affair with Don? That is what I have always believed. I am happy for Soda to correct me if she thinks the two relationships were equally significant & long lasting. I do know that she has on occasion described either Joe or Lindsey Buckingham as the love of her life; not Don, but again, perhaps I am wrong on this.

I am OUT of this conversation, and the funny thing is I really don't care that much about her...sorry.

septemberwn
05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I feel sorry for her because who has she really had in her life? She's never been married and at this point in time does she have a guy. I think from what I've heard her say she lost Don and that was a big hit for her...I Pity her"

I don't pity her becuz she's had him, his true love, his unborn baby and still has his love and friendship to this day,,,Stevie so talented and strong for the difficult decisions she made and lives with. OH Stevie has been married briefly,,Go STEVIE:partytime:

sodascouts
05-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Stevie considers Joe a "great love" even though Don treats her better! She just felt more intensely about him. I think it might have been because when she was dating Don, she was still getting over Lindsey Buckingham, her other "Great Love." It's so wonderful that they still have a precious friendship to this day.

I don't pity her becuz she's had him, his true love, his unborn baby and still has his love and friendship to this day,,,Stevie so talented and strong for the difficult decisions she made and lives with. OH Stevie has been married briefly,,Go STEVIE:partytime:

GO STEVIE! And funny how that shambles of a marriage might give her a few points in the eyes of some (not necessarily DJ, but some) because hey, at least she was married! lol!

Brooklyn Roads
05-29-2014, 01:42 AM
You pity Stevie Nicks because she isn't married or dating anyone seriously?

Yeah, because no matter what a woman's accomplished in her life, she's nothing unless she's married or at the very least in a relationship, right?

Sigh.

You know who I pity? Women who believe that they need to have a man in their life to validate their existence.

I agree!! The mindset that a woman is not complete without a man or because she is not married just goes back to the days of women being called spinsters, yet men have always been called something far more sexy - bachelors.

I get a lot of slack for not being married to the man I've been with for 10 years. I say, leave me be and stop the societal pressure. I have bigger things to worry about :thumbsup:

DJ
06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/aa/f7/09aaf77b33733046943af7fe4ed4a005.jpg

THE TWOSOME...

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
I really don't care that much about her...sorry.

Thanks for posting that nice photo anyway - her fans appreciate it! She and Don are very cute together. :)

shunlvswx
06-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I was watching her Behind the Music on YouTube and I remember seeing this picture when they briefly talked about Don. Leather and Lace was playing in the background as they showed pictures her and Don I guess recording L&L for her first solo album.

I wonder why VH1 didn't do a Behind the Music on the guys.

I wonder myself would they had gotten together later before he got married. They did look like a cute couple. It's cool they are still friends.

06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
My guess is that Don and Stevie are able to remain such great friends because they probably never were really 'in love' with one another - in other words, they didn't break each other's heart so there's not a lot of emotional baggage left over from their relationship.

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 06:32 PM
I think I said somewhere earlier in this big old thread that Don was her first boyfriend after she broke up with Lindsey Buckingham. You know how those rebound things go... not to mention Don wasn't looking to settle down and Stevie needed a respite from intense relationships after leaving Lindsey.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-01-2014, 06:33 PM
aah you would have to cooperate with the people doing the documentary and some how I don't see dh or gf doing that ...

MaryCalifornia
06-01-2014, 06:52 PM
I watched her Behind the Music like 5 times. My fave. A teal tearjerker. Can we still watch those anywhere, anyone know?

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I watched her Behind the Music like 5 times. My fave. A teal tearjerker. Can we still watch those anywhere, anyone know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACu0RNFfcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mzzaypXWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYhRF5SuLU

MaryCalifornia
06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Whoa, it looks like you have it here, Austin - cool, thanks! Gonna watch it!

shunlvswx
06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
I remembered watching this the first time it first came out in 1998.

DJ
06-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I always wanted my eye makeup to look like hers!

Brooke
06-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks for posting that, WF! I had never seen it and loved it!

Stevie, what a life you have had! And you are still the queen of rock! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Stevie, what a life you have had! And you are still the queen of rock! :thumbsup:

For sure... I can't wait to see her and the rest of FM in October!!!!

sodascouts
07-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey guys - here's something I had on an old bootleg, but didn't have uploaded. Shun found it conveniently cropped and uploaded to YouTube! Stevie is describing a gift she got from Don in the first part, starting about 0:25. Very cute! Thanks, Shun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pUz61ksa0

shunlvswx
07-15-2014, 11:42 PM
I love going on YouTube and finding old videos. After you said something on Facebook about a clip of Stevie telling the interviewer about the pendant, I had to go find it on YouTube and I did. It was a nice sweet story.

DJ
07-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey guys - here's something I had on an old bootleg, but didn't have uploaded. Shun found it conveniently cropped and uploaded to YouTube! Stevie is describing a gift she got from Don in the first part, starting about 0:25. Very cute! Thanks, Shun!

She has very elegant hands, what a story about her Merlin pendant!!

tjh532
07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Hey, Austin, thanks for finding that Behind the Music about Stevie. I loved watching it again!

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 10:35 PM

I loved that! I like how she's so mystical...talking about how the pendant didn't want to leave her. was she dating Don at that time?

I also love her bodysuit/top. anyone know where I can find those with the crisscross straps in the back? they don't seem to make them anymore...or at least they aren't very abundant. They were very popular in the 70s and early 80s

sodascouts
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
There are some people who make "inspired by Stevie" designs, but they can get pricey! Not sure where to get one from a regular store. Let me know if you ever find one!

And yes, Stevie and Don were dating at that time.

Houston Debutante
07-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Lucky Stevie! If I got a pendant from Don Henley I would never take it off.

DivineDon
07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Lucky Stevie! If I got a pendant from Don Henley I would never take it off.

Ditto :faint:

sodascouts
07-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Stevie was kind of a Don Henley fangirl herself. When she and Lindsey joined Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles had already had a number one hit ("Best of My Love") and were about to release One of These Nights, which spawned several more. Stevie looked up to Don Henley - he was a "star." I can only imagine how she felt when Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles played that festival together, and she came to the breakfast room to find tons of gifts accompanied by an invitation from Don Henley.

And I can only imagine how poor Lindsey felt, lol. He was still trying to win Stevie back, and here comes Don Henley.

Brooke
07-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Can you imagine such a horrible situation, being pursued by two HS & G rock stars?! :hilarious:

shunlvswx
07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Hmm Lindsey or Don? Hmm That's hard. I really don't find Lindsey sexy, but he's good looking. I think I would pick Don.

But when I watched that video, he had his girlfriend around. So I wonder how Stevie felt about that. I guess they both were trying to prove I've moved on and here's proof.

sodascouts
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Lindsey was like "If you can replace me with Don Henley, I can replace you, too!" lol.

I think Stevie and Lindsey are soulmates, but Don Henley would be hard to resist.

shunlvswx
07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I agree. Stevie and Lindsey are soulmates.

IMO Don and Lindsey's girlfriend doing that time were rebounds for both of them. Sometimes that don't work out and somebody will get hurt.

Lindsey might go over, Stevie, but you can't when you see each other every day on the road. You can prance your current boyfriend or girlfriend around, somebody will not be happy and I see why Lindsey was mad about dating Don. He and Stevie broke up. That tells me there that he was over Stevie at that time either.

Stevie probably kicking herself losing both Don and Lindsey.

shunlvswx
07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
I was looking on OWN Network website to watch Stevie's episode on Oprah's Masterclass (which is not on Youtube anymore) and I found this clip on the website. I don't remember if this clip was in the episode, but she says Don's name at the end of the clip(I remembered her talking about Lindsey and their break up, but I don't remember if she brought up Don's name).

http://www.oprah.com/own-master-class/Stevie-Nicks-and-Lindsey-Buckingham-Their-Break-Up-Video

Raven Hair
08-09-2014, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure if this is "off-topic," but even though I agree that Stevie and Don had/have chemistry, but I've read in a couple of different sources that Stevie has said Joe Walsh was the 'love of her life," which is strange given her extensive history with Lindsay and Don...

UndertheWire
08-09-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure if this is "off-topic," but even though I agree that Stevie and Don had/have chemistry, but I've read in a couple of different sources that Stevie has said Joe Walsh was the 'love of her life," which is strange given her extensive history with Lindsay and Don...
Stevie and Joe have their very own thread and I'm sure that was discussed (I know I've seen it somewhere).
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209

08-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Welcome Raven Hair - and, yes, the topic has been discussed on the board numerous times - may even be something mentioned earlier in this thread, but I don't have time to search right now.

Lisa
08-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't know about all of the talk about Stevie Nicks and rock-era romance, to put two words in the same sentence, but I always did think that Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham were a great couple, even with the Rumors album and the terrible conflicts and breakups within Fleetwood Mac's social whirl.

sodascouts
09-12-2014, 12:32 AM
I know this has been posted before but it's been a while, and I was just re-reading it today...

Stevie was in New York during the 911 attacks - it happened in the middle of one of her tours. She decided to keep touring, but it was hard. Who did she call for support? Among others, Don Henley, and I love what he said to her.

From her journal which she posted on her official site:

September 18th, 2001
Tuesday Morning
Washington, D.C.
When my Mom answered the phone, I burst into tears and said, “I don’t know if I can stay out here, I’m having a really hard time.” She said, “Stevie, I have had at least 10 phone calls from Atlantic City saying they loved it, and that you totally cheered them up!” “Honey, if you can finish this tour, think of how many hearts that you can lift up…That is what YOU can do for your country ~ This is your gift. So if you can possibly figure a way to get through this, then do it. I know you can do this. You are that strong.”
I just have to hang on…

Love,
Stevie Nicks

DivineDon
09-12-2014, 07:41 AM
That's lovely, Soda. My estimation of Don's character just keeps rising :inlove:

Brooke
09-12-2014, 02:49 PM
A very touching story and very fitting. Thanks for sharing it again.

Houston Debutante
09-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks for posting that, I love how sweet he is with Stevie ~ he still calls her honey. Aw. Also it shows how much he cares about making fans happy, he sees music as more than just a job, it's a way to help people. That makes me love Don even more.