PDA

View Full Version : Don's Country-Tinged Songs

sodascouts
10-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Now that Don's putting out a straight up country album, I was thinking back on all the "country-tinged" songs that he's already done.

The one that immediately comes to mind for me as country is "You Ain't Drinking Enough." The title alone screams COUNTRY, but if you need more proof: any song with a line like "There ain't enough whiskey in Texas" is gonna be country.

What other songs has Don recorded that could be classified as "country"?

Troubadour
10-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Agreed. I was quite surprised when I first found out that Danny Kortchmar had written that song. Danny's not that much of a country guy, and the whole "ain't enough whiskey in Texas" thing sounds very much like Don! Good song, though.

I love Calling Me - Don's duet with Kenny Rogers. That's obviously quite country. When he sings, I melt. The lyrics are so gorgeous.

Other songs that could come under the country umbrella are: Break Each Other's Hearts Again (with Reba) and Walkaway Joe (with Trisha Yearwood). A Month Of Sundays isn't too country-ish in sound, but it's firmly rooted in the south and the rural, hard-working, family-oriented earthy way of life.

Don has also covered Too Far Gone live. I would DIE if he included it on this album. His vocals were so husky and filled with longing.

sodascouts
10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
He's done several country covers live recently - wonder if they are going to get included?

I was also thinking "Unclouded Day" could be classified as gospel-country. I know several country artists have recorded it, including Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson.

It's interesting to see how many of Don's duets have been with country artists.

Freypower
10-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Excuse me for this but when he covered Knopfler's I'm The Fool he said 'I think this is a great country song. See what you think'. His interpretation of it was perhaps more 'country' than Mark's. (I will spare you a list of which DS/MK songs I consider 'country').

There are a couple of his ballads like Long Way Home & Talking To The Moon that have a vague air of 'country' about them to my ears. There is also the duet with Jerry Lee Lewis, What Makes The Irish Heart Beat. It is probably meant to be folk, but they sound country.

AmarilloByMorning
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree with "Unclouded Day" - that track drives straight to my country sensibilities. I certainly did not expect to hear it amongst "Dirty Laundry" and its ilk.

On an unrelated note, I'm attempting to control my simmering enthusiasm over this development to no avail. My favorite artist cutting an album in my favorite genre. Forty thousand thumbs up from this fan. :partytime: He'll bring some class back to country.

sodascouts
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I remember reading that "For My Wedding" was marketed to the country audience ten years ago. Seems like this idea has been building for a while.The bigger surprise is the R&B album he's going to be releasing, too! Good to hear you're getting excited about it, though, ABM - I figured you would. ;)

Peekaboo
10-27-2010, 11:18 PM
With the exception of Don's duets with the country artists already mentioned Talking To The Moon was one of the first songs that came to mind. I think I might include Lilah in the country category. It's got a bit of a country flavor to it. Imo, I don't see The Unclouded Day as being very country the way Don has done that song. It's got too much of a reggae sound to me.

Freypower
10-28-2010, 05:38 PM
With the exception of Don's duets with the country artists already mentioned Talking To The Moon was one of the first songs that came to mind. I think I might include Lilah in the country category. It's got a bit of a country flavor to it. Imo, I don't see The Unclouded Day as being very country the way Don has done that song. It's got too much of a reggae sound to me.

I agree - to me TUD has a reggae feel.