PDA

View Full Version : Joe offers drug and alcohol advice

Ive always been a dreamer
10-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Got this in a Google alert. Joe has offered to advise Premier John Brumby about the problems of drug and alcohol problems among the young generation in Australia. Mr. Brumby says he'll accept Joe's offer if he wins his bid for re-election in November. Here is the article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/joe-walsh-offers-drug-help/story-e6frf7kx-1225945620699

TimothyBFan
10-31-2010, 12:07 PM
That is really wonderful of him to offer. He his indeed a living example that you can clean up and STAY that way!! What a role model he could be in the rock n roll world! :thumbsup:

AmarilloByMorning
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
That's just a spectacularly classy thing to do.

We do need more role models who manage to exude cool without the assistance of alcohol or other illegal substances. Growing up I was the only holdout of all my acquaintances who did not drink and while they had beacons at every turn to validate their choices I had... no one, not even my parents. Hopefully as more bands tend to their personal lives, something might improve.

sodascouts
10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
I agree - Joe is a great asset to this kind of program because so many perceive drugs and alcohol abuse to be "cool" and Joe, who is still universally lauded as cool in his sober state ;) , can tell them different with authority.

Freypower
11-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I am not going to bring my views on Australian politics into this except that I notice he hasn't offered the same to the premier of NSW. The NSW government is on the verge of extinction whereas Brumby in Victoria is likely to be re-elected. You go Joe!

jdubfan
11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep, sounds like he took care of it himself. Maybe NZ means more to him because he had his epiphany there. Thank god.

"I went to New Zealand, and spoke about it, because I wanted to keep the young people from getting into methamphetamine. I wanted to show people who were hopelessly stuck on it that there's life after addiction and it's good."

Takin' that 12th step to heart
Way 2 go joe :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I am not going to bring my views on Australian politics into this except that I notice he hasn't offered the same to the premier of NSW. The NSW government is on the verge of extinction whereas Brumby in Victoria is likely to be re-elected. You go Joe!

I got the impression Joe's intent was to help the youth of Australia, not to help Brumby get re-elected.

Freypower
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I got the impression Joe's intent was to help the youth of Australia, not to help Brumby get re-elected.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression but they are also doing five shows in Sydney and it isn't happening here. I notice he does say 'Melbourne & around Australia' so maybe another state will take note.