PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Tribute - What Should I Wear?

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I've read through a bunch of threads here (the Glenn Frey pictures thread was very helpful on this subject), and now I'm quite sure you folks can be very helpful with the decision I am facing.

I play guitar and sing the Glenn Frey songs in an outstanding Eagles Tribute band. We've recently decided that we're going to outfit ourselves in the 70's version of the Eagles, since that is the era in which a huge number of their greatest works were created.

So if you were choosing my wardrobe, what would it be? I'm pretty settled on flared, faded jeans, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I'm really looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks,

Greg
Alter Eagles

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
By the way, I REALLY have no idea what he wore on his feet back then. I've seen the Eagles a couple of times since Hell Froze Over, but now it could be sneakers or dress shoes depending on the attire.

Did he ever do the boots thing back in the day? I saw them on the Hotel California tour in the 70's, but I was either too wasted or not paying attention to remember.

Cheers,

Greg
Alter Eagles

Prettymaid
11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi AE and welcome to The Border. First let me say that I think it's great that you like the Eagles and admire their music so much that you are in a tribute band. I'm also happy to hear that your band is going to go after the 'look' of the Eagles as well as the sound. I've seen an Eagles tribute band and to me that is what was lacking.

As far as what to wear, it sounds like you've done your homework in the Frey Fever thread. You also might want to take a look at http://www.glennfreyonline.com/ and look at the photos from the 70's. Glenn wore a lot of t shirts with sayings on them, which would seem easy enough to duplicate. I think it's even more important to copy his movements, subtle as they are, and you will be the best Glenn Frey tribute out there!

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Good luck!!! :)

I also play in what has now become a tribute band playing guitar (playing Joe Walsh's parts). We started out doing classic rock covers a couple years ago and now we do just Eagles music and it's really fun. I think you will enjoy it a lot. I certainly do. We play events, parties, etc playing wherever we are booked at and we have a ball! We are the "Stone Eagles".

I can't help you much on the wardrobe situation though! :D But I did want to stop in and wish you all the best with your band! :)

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I've played in lots of cover bands over the years, and I must say I enjoy this more than any of them. I grew up on the Eagles music in the 70's, so being able to play all of those great songs (usually for crowds of people who also love and appreciate them) is SO much better.

I noticed your post on the gear you have in another section here. We always laugh about our show, because we literally have over a dozen guitars on the stage! It's like a small music store up there, which makes for some interesting times when the stage is on the smaller side.

Where do the Stone Eagles play? I can tell you that for me, recreating the true Eagles sound is one of the most challenging things, and it took us a long time to find the right lineup of musicians who can also sing, and sing well! We live in Florida, but we're starting to tour around the Eastern US.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I've played in lots of cover bands over the years, and I must say I enjoy this more than any of them. I grew up on the Eagles music in the 70's, so being able to play all of those great songs (usually for crowds of people who also love and appreciate them) is SO much better.

I noticed your post on the gear you have in another section here. We always laugh about our show, because we literally have over a dozen guitars on the stage! It's like a small music store up there, which makes for some interesting times when the stage is on the smaller side.

Where do the Stone Eagles play? I can tell you that for me, recreating the true Eagles sound is one of the most challenging things, and it took us a long time to find the right lineup of musicians who can also sing, and sing well! We live in Florida, but we're starting to tour around the Eastern US.

We play in the Central Illinois area, but we are all from West Central Illinois. We don't tour as wide of an area as you guys, we mainly play events and booking in the Central IL area. I'd love to actually tour more and play more places, but everyone's schedules are hard to arrange for a tour type. We mainly just play where we are booked.

I have about 30 guitars total in my collection, and take about 4-5 of my own to a show. Usually it goes like this. Humbucker guitar (Gibson Les Paul, PRS, Carvin), Single Coil Guitar (Fender Strat or Tele), a 12-string acoustic, a 6-string acoustic for a backup, and sometimes another "cross" guitar that has a coil split so I can do both Humbucker and Single Coil sounds. I'm a Gibson Les Paul guy though for the most part. That's the "desert island" guitar for me.

As far as getting the tone, I haven't been as happy as I am now after buying a Fender Twin Reverb. It gets the Joe Walsh sound perfectly. I love mine, and am looking to get another Fender amp soon. I use overdrive pedals too with my Twin and it gets the sound I'm looking for, but it did take me a long while to get it down.

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I've gone back and forth on the right rig, even trying the digital modeling a la Line 6, and right now I'm going through reworking the entire thing. I notice they play through combo amps now with a slew of Boss pedals, so I think that's where I'm headed with my rig.

The Fender Amp might be a good choice for the Felder stuff, too. I play the doubleneck on Hotel Cali and most of the Felder leads.

Brooke
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Very cool, AAE! It sounds like you would be a fun band to see! :thumbsup:

As far as dressing like Glenn, faded, patched jeans, a t-shirt with something on the front (Glenn did wear Eagles shirts a lot) and he wore cowboy boots or the harness strap brown boots some. If you have the long hair, aviator sunglasses were sometimes worn and as a headband (holding his hair back), too.

So, are you coming Missouri way?

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I've gone back and forth on the right rig, even trying the digital modeling a la Line 6, and right now I'm going through reworking the entire thing. I notice they play through combo amps now with a slew of Boss pedals, so I think that's where I'm headed with my rig.

The Fender Amp might be a good choice for the Felder stuff, too. I play the doubleneck on Hotel Cali and most of the Felder leads.

Yeah Glenn plays through a Fender Blackface Deluxe (an original nonreverb blackface from the 60s) for his electric, Joe has several Fender amps that he uses/used like Twin Reverbs, Deluxe Reverbs, Super Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverbs (he's a Fender amp guy) Dr. Zs, Hiwatts, etc. Don Felder mainly used Fender amps like the Tweed and Blackface Fender Deluxes but he did use a JTM45 Marshall combo on the Hell Freezes Over tour. He has said that his electric guitar 6-string parts of Hotel California (the recording) was a '59 Les Paul and a cranked Fender Tweed Deluxe from the 50s. No overdrive.

I use quite a few pedals, mainly overdrives, delays, and stuff like that. My favorite overdrive is probably an Ibanez Tubescreamer, but I've really got on lately to the Digitech Bad Monkey. Usually the word Digitech is enough to make me run the opposite direction but they made a great analog "tube overdrive" that is an amazing overdrive pedal. A lot of guys are using them (Billy Gibbons, Tommy Shaw, and others I can't remember) I use to have a BOSS Blues Driver but didn't bond with it. Joe's overdrive of choice is a BOSS OS-2, which is like a BOSS Super Overdrive and BOSS Distortion in one pedal.

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Brooke!

Actually, I am growing out the 70's 'stache, and my hair is going to have to stay semi-long.....stupid day job, you know! I'll try the boot thing over my flared jeans. We have a show in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. How far is that for you?

Right now we are averaging about 3 shows a month, but we are being selective and trying to only take quality shows where there are people who really appreciate the music. Things are definitely heating up now, though, since we've actually got some decent footage of our performances and people are hearing the result of the hard work we've put in to re-create that Eagles sound we all love. Our agent is working on a short tour next year, but that looks like it will be up the East coast and back in the spring.

sodascouts
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Welcome AE! Glad to have you as a member!

When it comes to Glenn's Hotel California live look, the constants were jeans, low-heeled boots with the jeans over them (don't tuck the jeans into the boots), and a gold medallion (you need to get the "Don" and "Randy" guys to sport those medallions, too - it was an "original Eagles" thing). When it came to the tops, you get three main staples:

1. T-shirts with funny slogans / images

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/eaglesSW12glenn.jpg

2. Sports jerseys

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyTorontoEbay.jpg

3. Loose white tops that revealed a lot of chest

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyHerrick01.jpg

Here's the sunglasses Brooke mentioned:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyHCTB08.jpg

He usually wore those for "James Dean," then, as Brooke said, he used them as a headband for the rest of the show (see below. Also, below you can see him in another sports jersey - he showed love to lots of teams, but his favorite was the LA Kings hockey team jersey you see here):

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/eaglesHCSB06.jpg

An Alter Eagle
11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow, I've been in the Alter Eagles tribute band for almost a year, and I've learned more useful info in a half day on this board! You folks are awesome.

I think I'm going to rock the T shirts and maybe a comfy white shirt with a few buttons undone. Definitely untucked blue jeans over boots.

We've worked really hard to do justice to the music, and now we want to pay tribute to their 70's glory days and help their fans relive them a bit, too.

TimothyBFan
11-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Wonderful website Greg!!!

And can I say how cool it is that we have 2 board members that are in tribute bands? :thumbsup:

An Alter Eagle
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, TBF! Check out this video from a concert we did earlier this year:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=448475377772&saved#!/video/video.php?v=396408022772

It was televised locally, so we got a lot of cool video footage.

G

Glennsallnighter
11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Is this your website Greg? Or have you a link if not!

BTW welcome from me too. You sound like a great bunch of guys. Any chance you'll play Ireland at any stage?

tequila girl
11-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I can't see the video Greg....i'm getting this message

"This video has either been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings."

sodascouts
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Also, I think I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see a photo of you performing with the band in your "Glenn gear" once you get that outfit together!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Well - I second what everyone else here says. I would love to hear and see more about your band, Greg. The Facebook link didn't work for me either and also I didn't see a link to your website. Can you post it for us so we can take a look? And one last thing, please keep us abreast of your band's tour schedule. If you come anywhere near Virginia, I'd love to check you out.

An Alter Eagle
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks!

FB privacy is whacky. I think it is viewable now. Someone please check and let me know:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=396408022772

Very little of this footage made it into our "promo" videos in the website, mostly because it was recorded in mono so the sound isn't that great. I kept it, because it was a lot of fun and good memories.

Our website is :

http://www.altereaglesband.com

I'll figure out a way to put it in my signature I guess.

Since the original subject of this post was show attire, here's what I am going with for the New Orleans show November 13th.

Levis Bell Bottom Jeans
White collarless short sleeve shirt, untucked
brown boots, jeans untucked
western mustache
aviator glasses

I'll post some pictures after the show to see how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Greg

GlennLover
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Greg, I wasn't able to view your video on Facebook. It said that it was unavailable due to privacy settings.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. :)

sodascouts
11-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Since the original subject of this post was show attire, here's what I am going with for the New Orleans show November 13th.

Levis Bell Bottom Jeans
White collarless short sleeve shirt, untucked
brown boots, jeans untucked
western mustache
aviator glasses

I'll post some pictures after the show to see how it turns out.

Excellent - can't wait to see 'em! The outfit sounds good to me.

(BTW I couldn't see the video either).

An Alter Eagle
11-15-2010, 10:53 AM
oops, I posted this picture in the other Tributes thread, instead of here where it belongs.

Here's how it turned out in New Orleans. Great show, and the bell bottoms went over well!

Thanks for the help!

G

tequila girl
11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Greg, Lookin' Good! :thumbsup: Glad the show went well :)

sodascouts
11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Excellent! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Yep - lovin' that look, Greg.