PDA

View Full Version : Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Pages : [1] 2

MikeA
11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
This is just a kick off point for members to post things they've recorded either in audio or video format.

WalshFan88
11-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's something I did early this morning while trying to wake up! :hilarious:

Playing Funk #49 and Heartache Tonight:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=funktonight.mp4

sodascouts
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Good idea for a thread. I'm interested to hear/see these! Thanks for kicking it off with a bang, Austin - although I'm having a little trouble with my volume not wanting to cooperate.

WalshFan88
11-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Good idea for a thread. I'm interested to hear/see these! Thanks for kicking it off with a bang, Austin - although I'm having a little trouble with my volume not wanting to cooperate.

Ruh roh about the volume! Maybe it was my camera... Hmm.

TimothyBFan
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Ok Austin---what's that foreign language you are speaking before kicking into the song? Bridge pickup? Telecaster? lol

Great job!!!

Is that Tattoo You I see hanging on the wall behind you? :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Ok Austin---what's that foreign language you are speaking before kicking into the song? Bridge pickup? Telecaster? lol

Great job!!!

Is that Tattoo You I see hanging on the wall behind you? :thumbsup:

Hehe it's geek talk!

Thanks - I really wasn't prepared for the video and had just woke up for the day but I was bored so I figured I'd record a video. No warm up or preparation. :D

And yes, that indeed is Tattoo You hanging on the wall! Good catch! The Stones are my 2nd favorite band. Wanna take a guess what is before them on my favorites list? :hilarious:

MikeA
11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Good Post Austin. And I do like the MIJ Fender. Nice. That is a pretty standard beat in HEARTACHE TONIGHT. I sort of think of it as a "boogey strum". You know, the part that is thumping out on the base strings.

Canned Heat used it quite a bit. Requires a pretty nimble pinky exercise <LOL>

Are all the chord shapes "normal" barr'd "E and A forms"? Some of them looked a bit odd but I know how it is when forming some or them....you can get kinda contorted.

WalshFan88
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Good Post Austin. And I do like the MIJ Fender. Nice. That is a pretty standard beat in HEARTACHE TONIGHT. I sort of think of it as a "boogey strum". You know, the part that is thumping out on the base strings.

Canned Heat used it quite a bit. Requires a pretty nimble pinky exercise <LOL>

Are all the chord shapes "normal" barr'd "E and A forms"? Some of them looked a bit odd but I know how it is when forming some or them....you can get kinda contorted.

On Heartache Tonight they are just normal barres. On Funk 49 I'm using 7th chords which is a barre chord without your pinky.

MikeA
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Nuthin' Fancy. Just some moody guitar work and some vocals in a song done a long time ago by Nancy Sinatra called "Band Bang".

I don't think it was called "BAND BANG!" It was "Bang Bang!" <LOLOLOLOL>

http://mvabercrombie.net/Bang%20Bang%20My%20Baby%20Shot%20Me%20Down.mp3

MikeA
11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
We used to do this one (in a higher key!) back when I was in Jr High. I rigged up a drum loop for this one.

http://mvabercrombie.net/500%20Miles.mp3

MikeA
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I've been wanting to try this one. Couldn't get the right distortion out of my amp without a stompbox. I used a cheap Tubalator cranked up pretty high. I had a lot of trouble getting that strum...it's very fast! The harmonics are on the 12th and the 5th and the chord in the middle is just played on the top 4 strings with the "D" fretted alone on the 5th fret...the G B e are all open.

The chords are "E" "F#" and "G" but really should be played as power chords....just the bass strings E A and D...G and up don't sound right with it.

Note that this is one of the very few times I've missed my Franenstrat and its Whammy Bar!

http://mvabercrombie.net/Barracuda.mp3

EaglesFanatic
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
http://mvabercrombie.net/Barracuda.mp3
Mike, that's AWESOME!
WF88-Your Funk 49 and Heartache Tonight is great :thumbsup:

MikeA
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Last one for today...promise! I really should be getting a little work done! <LOL>

A little VENTURES

http://mvabercrombie.net/Ventures.mp3

sodascouts
11-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Love these!

WalshFan88
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Great clips Mike. I'll try to put up something in the next couple days.

EaglesFanatic- Thanks!!

Prettymaid
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Lovin' this Border talent!

MikeA
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Here's that "Jangly" 12-string type emulation I got out of chorus. Lots of treble, a little midrange and not much bass. But real high on the chorus and reverb.

I did this one with the Tele and my Vox amp. It sounds better on the Acoustic amp, but it was easer to set up here on the VOX <LOL>

http://mvabercrombie.net/Jangly.mp3

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Here's that "Jangly" 12-string type emulation I got out of chorus. Lots of treble, a little midrange and not much bass. But real high on the chorus and reverb.

I did this one with the Tele and my Vox amp. It sounds better on the Acoustic amp, but it was easer to set up here on the VOX <LOL>

http://mvabercrombie.net/Jangly.mp3

Very cool Mike! Someday I'll put up a 12-string video. I'm planning on record a video with my new 335 tomorrow.

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=335.mp4

Well that's my new 335. My Twin amp is SO darn loud it distorts the cheap camera built in mic so it sounds kinda fuzzy in the beginning until I rolled the volume back so bear with me on that LOL!

MikeA
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, those 335's are really at home with a cleaner tubey sound. Warm maybe with a touch of distortion. The crunchy stuff is suited more to the Pauls.

I hope I'll be able to return to all those vids and study them at leisure. I get the drift.....some might think they are choppy, but got to remember folks, he's playing his parts and not the other instruments so it isn't like a performance...or it is, but only one part of the whole!

I get it. And it is exactly the kind of stuff I really enjoy watching! Thanks!

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, those 335's are really at home with a cleaner tubey sound. Warm maybe with a touch of distortion. The crunchy stuff is suited more to the Pauls.

I hope I'll be able to return to all those vids and study them at leisure. I get the drift.....some might think they are choppy, but got to remember folks, he's playing his parts and not the other instruments so it isn't like a performance...or it is, but only one part of the whole!

I get it. And it is exactly the kind of stuff I really enjoy watching! Thanks!

Yeah I originally had it with just a warm blues overdrive pedal but the amp is so loud it REALLY distorts the camera mic where it sounds crunchy/fuzzy. Maybe I'll figure out how to get the sound directly in and mix it with video. Never get a Twin Reverb just for home playing. They will blow out the windows past, say, 3 lol.

And yes, I play just one guitar, my other guitar player in the band plays the other guitar part. I like to think I do a good job on what I do play.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
You do an excellent job on it Austin....never in any way meant anything to the contrary! I'm eating it up!

Any possibility of getting an audio of your band performing? That's even harder to do than getting a camera video made. But if you can, I'd really like to hear one of your gigs!

Oh, I've never tried syncing an audio segment with a video. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to even start!

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
You do an excellent job on it Austin....never in any way meant anything to the contrary! I'm eating it up!

Any possibility of getting an audio of your band performing? That's even harder to do than getting a camera video made. But if you can, I'd really like to hear one of your gigs!

Oh no, I knew what you meant! I just meant when I play live! :) I knew what you were saying. I just meant that I like to think I play good on stage, not in my vids hehe.

I will try to get some audio - I'm trying to think about how to go about getting audio. I have some videos of our first warm-up gig as a band, but there is no way in heck I'm putting that up! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I wish I got some footage of Ausfest in September. Ausfest is my own music fest I do every year, but this year was the first time. I had lots of players and a couple bands and we had a blast. Food and drinks, music, and the little kids played games. It's at the family's cabin my dad built in the woods and it's a blast. I got up and played with a blues band, a country band, and then of course the Stone Eagles played and I had one of the guys from the blues band sit in on "Heartache Tonight". I don't know why I didn't think to bring a damn video camera and record it. I got some pics though if you are interested in them! :) I also have a pic of the guys in the band too - taken at a Barnyard Jam last year.

MikeA
11-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Not ready to post anything on it, but I was working on the first solo in HC and segway'd right into "I Can't Tell You Why!" That solo that follows the bass walk-up laps right over Felder's first solo in HC <LOL>

That works well for me. If peeps think I'm trying to play that HC part and hear all the errors, I can just flip to ICTYW and confuse everyone so they have no idea WHAT I'm playing!

WalshFan88
11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Not ready to post anything on it, but I was working on the first solo in HC and segway'd right into "I Can't Tell You Why!" That solo that follows the bass walk-up laps right over Felder's first solo in HC <LOL>

That works well for me. If peeps think I'm trying to play that HC part and hear all the errors, I can just flip to ICTYW and confuse everyone so they have no idea WHAT I'm playing!

LOL!

The ICTYW solo is meant for a 335. Mine gets that tone with my blues overdrive and my Twin Reverb.

WalshFan88
11-13-2010, 04:09 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=335unplugged.mp4

Playing the 335 acoustically!

MikeA
11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
You're gettin' it Austin with the 335! Wonderful instruments! They show best with a clean slightly overdriven tube amp and some reverb. Don't need much else except a mic to pick up that warm tone. Just think about that tone that Stu/Felder cranked out on "ICTYW". It just sort of drips blues.

But they also can crank out with overdrive too. The "image" isn't right for those tones, but the humbuckers can really scream. They might lack a little in sustain when compared to a Paul or Strat, but not much because of that solid block of wood that runs through the body....and a pedal that will resonate the notes will artificially produce that missing sustain if you really have to have it.

The tone is almost everything with the 335. But I love the feel of the neck and fretboard too. I do not own another guitar nor have I ever played one that has a better feel. I've equated it before to a smooth almost buttery feel. It is a pretty heavy guitar and it is big. It does take some getting used to especially if you have it strapped on for long periods. I used to come home from Praise Services with a shoulder that was sore!

On the amps....I had a little Marshall for a while and it was good for what I bought it for, but I have my AD30VT VOX now that has an atentuation control on the back that lets the full out tilt settings sound good at low volumes....you don't have to peel paint with it to get the full saturation though you do need high volumes to get the full effect of the speaker characteristics. I'm happy for the Marshall now though as it is in the hands of someone who needed it more than I and it is getting the love I never gave it.

What kind of camera are you using? I have some video capability with a little Cannon 12mp point and shoot job. I've never tried any audio capture with it using the video.

Audio capture is sort of funny. The further away from the amp the mic is, the more of the lower frequencies you pick up. I usually have my condenser mics maybe 16" from the speakers when I am capturing a track. That seems to get about the most rounded sound to my ears. Moving the mic further away causes you to have to record at higher levels and that picks up too much ambient noise for my tastes. My setup is in my basement and the central heating and air "blower" is in a closet right off my office. If I'm running through a quiet passage and that furnace kicks on, well, it's start over time! But with the mic close to the amp, my ears aren't good enough to pick up that roar from the furnace on a recording if I'm hanging on the wires pretty heavy.

I'm disconnecting my USB interface today and taking it up to my Father-in-law's. He's having a lot of trouble with double tracking. He'll use a mic to pickup his violin on a track and then use the mic to record his guitar. When he strums or picks his rhythm on the guitar the mic is recording it but also picks up the sounds coming from the speakers that are giving him a monitor on the violin track. Really gets muddied up when that happens.

That's where the Direct Interface function of the USB adapters come in to their own! Since you are recording directly from the instrument, you can play your accompanyment as low as you wish and not pick up any frequency! No microphone involved. But to do that, you will have to have found an artificial combination of digital amps and effects that give you the plugged sound you were after. If that doesn't work for you, then you'll have to go to headphones and those produce a lot of problems of their own.

I detest wired headphones but for audio, they are probably the best. Dang chord is always in the way and usually not long enough! Cordless headphones in theory would be the solution, but they have a tendency to pick up all sorts of interference around a computer. Distracting even if that static isn't being captured in your recording.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I finally got around to listening to your video/audio clips, Mike and Austin. Thanks for sharing these with us. Sure wish I could contribute here, but the only musical talent I have is that my ears like to listen to it. :wink:

WalshFan88
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
You're gettin' it Austin with the 335! Wonderful instruments! They show best with a clean slightly overdriven tube amp and some reverb. Don't need much else except a mic to pick up that warm tone. Just think about that tone that Stu/Felder cranked out on "ICTYW". It just sort of drips blues.

But they also can crank out with overdrive too. The "image" isn't right for those tones, but the humbuckers can really scream. They might lack a little in sustain when compared to a Paul or Strat, but not much because of that solid block of wood that runs through the body....and a pedal that will resonate the notes will artificially produce that missing sustain if you really have to have it.

The tone is almost everything with the 335. But I love the feel of the neck and fretboard too. I do not own another guitar nor have I ever played one that has a better feel. I've equated it before to a smooth almost buttery feel. It is a pretty heavy guitar and it is big. It does take some getting used to especially if you have it strapped on for long periods. I used to come home from Praise Services with a shoulder that was sore!

On the amps....I had a little Marshall for a while and it was good for what I bought it for, but I have my AD30VT VOX now that has an atentuation control on the back that lets the full out tilt settings sound good at low volumes....you don't have to peel paint with it to get the full saturation though you do need high volumes to get the full effect of the speaker characteristics. I'm happy for the Marshall now though as it is in the hands of someone who needed it more than I and it is getting the love I never gave it.

What kind of camera are you using? I have some video capability with a little Cannon 12mp point and shoot job. I've never tried any audio capture with it using the video.

Audio capture is sort of funny. The further away from the amp the mic is, the more of the lower frequencies you pick up. I usually have my condenser mics maybe 16" from the speakers when I am capturing a track. That seems to get about the most rounded sound to my ears. Moving the mic further away causes you to have to record at higher levels and that picks up too much ambient noise for my tastes. My setup is in my basement and the central heating and air "blower" is in a closet right off my office. If I'm running through a quiet passage and that furnace kicks on, well, it's start over time! But with the mic close to the amp, my ears aren't good enough to pick up that roar from the furnace on a recording if I'm hanging on the wires pretty heavy.

I'm disconnecting my USB interface today and taking it up to my Father-in-law's. He's having a lot of trouble with double tracking. He'll use a mic to pickup his violin on a track and then use the mic to record his guitar. When he strums or picks his rhythm on the guitar the mic is recording it but also picks up the sounds coming from the speakers that are giving him a monitor on the violin track. Really gets muddied up when that happens.

That's where the Direct Interface function of the USB adapters come in to their own! Since you are recording directly from the instrument, you can play your accompanyment as low as you wish and not pick up any frequency! No microphone involved. But to do that, you will have to have found an artificial combination of digital amps and effects that give you the plugged sound you were after. If that doesn't work for you, then you'll have to go to headphones and those produce a lot of problems of their own.

I detest wired headphones but for audio, they are probably the best. Dang chord is always in the way and usually not long enough! Cordless headphones in theory would be the solution, but they have a tendency to pick up all sorts of interference around a computer. Distracting even if that static isn't being captured in your recording.

My camera is a point and shoot too, I believe its a Kodak something or another LOL! :hilarious:

Dreamer - Thanks!!!

MikeA
11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, I took my USB adapter (Analog to Digital converter TonePort DI-s) up to my father-in-law's this morning and set it up on his Win-7 computer. Had to download all new software drivers for Win-7 and also got the latest update to Gearbox. I was surprised that they even had an update for Gearbox since they (Line-6) have switched their product to Pod Farm. It is really about the same stuff.

On my computer, the TonePort device works perfectly as near as I can tell. Latency is just not a factor.

But on Clair's computer, it is an issue. There is a definite delay between striking a chord and hearing it through the computer's speakers. That's a real problem is you are recording multiple tracks, one at a time. You have to play the second track in sync with the first one and that is almost impossible to do if what you play is delayed by a fraction of a second. Oh, if you can concentrate hard enough to keep on playing and try to ignore what is playing back from your current instrument (or vocals) then you can come back later and time-shift it to get it all synced up.

But you shouldn't have that problem. Especially with the computer I built for Clair! It will literally run circles around mine. There must be something else in the drivers for Win-7 that isn't present in the Windows XP version.

I've got to get that latency problem solved for him. I plan to GIVE the USB device to Clair and get one of the UX2 devices that has phantom power built in for condenser mics. If I can do that, then I can eliminate the mixing board from my signal path...one less device to rob signal strength or color it in some way not desired!

WalshFan88
11-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Well, I took my USB adapter (Analog to Digital converter TonePort DI-s) up to my father-in-law's this morning and set it up on his Win-7 computer. Had to download all new software drivers for Win-7 and also got the latest update to Gearbox. I was surprised that they even had an update for Gearbox since they (Line-6) have switched their product to Pod Farm. It is really about the same stuff.

On my computer, the TonePort device works perfectly as near as I can tell. Latency is just not a factor.

But on Clair's computer, it is an issue. There is a definite delay between striking a chord and hearing it through the computer's speakers. That's a real problem is you are recording multiple tracks, one at a time. You have to play the second track in sync with the first one and that is almost impossible to do if what you play is delayed by a fraction of a second. Oh, if you can concentrate hard enough to keep on playing and try to ignore what is playing back from your current instrument (or vocals) then you can come back later and time-shift it to get it all synced up.

But you shouldn't have that problem. Especially with the computer I built for Clair! It will literally run circles around mine. There must be something else in the drivers for Win-7 that isn't present in the Windows XP version.

I've got to get that latency problem solved for him. I plan to GIVE the USB device to Clair and get one of the UX2 devices that has phantom power built in for condenser mics. If I can do that, then I can eliminate the mixing board from my signal path...one less device to rob signal strength or color it in some way not desired!

Hmmmmmmm... I dunno what to suggest there. I repair computers but I have no clue what to suggest for that problem LOL!

Today I'm working on a computer SO infected with viruses, spyware, trojans, rogues, adware, you name it. It's got one of everything on here and so painfully slow. I feel like going to command prompt and typing reformat C: and hit enter and just go back with an install disc and start all over, but that isn't an option - this person has documents on here that haven't been backed up. That's one of the things that drives me crazy, because if you don't back up stuff - you're going to lose it at some point, that's a promise. Someday I'll go over my techniques on how to bring a computer back to life that has malware, but I'll do that over in the Gearhead thread since this isn't the tech thread lol!

MikeA
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty "green" when it comes to computers. I got a late start. First job as a programmer was in 1970. In essence, I STILL have that job 45 years later! Never changed employers....just went along with the equipment when either it or the company was sold.

But all my work has been on mainframes Austin. I've little more than learn-by-doing experience on Micro Computers. Started with them as a hobby back around 1983 I think. Back when Commodore first offered their revolutionary Vic-20. And it really was revolutionary. Before that, about the only thing available was the Commodore Pet and the Radio Shack TRS80. With the TRS80, you either had to write your own operating system, or you could pay a fortune for one. That's what made the Vic-20 so good for the public...it came with the OS built into a chip!

WalshFan88
11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty "green" when it comes to computers. I got a late start. First job as a programmer was in 1970. In essence, I STILL have that job 45 years later! Never changed employers....just went along with the equipment when either it or the company was sold.

But all my work has been on mainframes Austin. I've little more than learn-by-doing experience on Micro Computers. Started with them as a hobby back around 1983 I think. Back when Commodore first offered their revolutionary Vic-20. And it really was revolutionary. Before that, about the only thing available was the Commodore Pet and the Radio Shack TRS80. With the TRS80, you either had to write your own operating system, or you could pay a fortune for one. That's what made the Vic-20 so good for the public...it came with the OS built into a chip!

Very Cool!!!!!!! :)

I'm a tech geek to the max.. I love Macs and those are my favorite, but I have Windows computers and pretty much my repair work is all Windows/PC.

Brooke
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm a tech geek to the max.. I love Macs and those are my favorite, but I have Windows computers and pretty much my repair work is all Windows/PC.

WF88, I don't usually come to this thread, but did today and am glad I did! I have a Mac at home (PC at work) and get very frustrated at times trying to do things and lots of times programs don't work with them. Maybe I've found someone who can help me next time I get stuck! Just yesterday I was trying to download the Picasa photo editing program (supposedly for Macs) and after I got it downloaded it told me it didn't work with my Mac! :brickwall:

Sorry to go off topic, but where's that tech thread?!

WalshFan88
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
WF88, I don't usually come to this thread, but did today and am glad I did! I have a Mac at home (PC at work) and get very frustrated at times trying to do things and lots of times programs don't work with them. Maybe I've found someone who can help me next time I get stuck! Just yesterday I was trying to download the Picasa photo editing program (supposedly for Macs) and after I got it downloaded it told me it didn't work with my Mac! :brickwall:

Sorry to go off topic, but where's that tech thread?!

If the Mac doesn't have the Intel processor it won't work. If its an older Mac it probably has a PPC processor. Google's new software (Chrome, Picasa, etc) all require an Intel processor. Probably not what you wanted to hear though! :(

The tech thread comment was a joke on my part - there is no tech thread! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 11:27 PM
This isn't a video of me playing, but rather a tour of my guitar studio room. I figured I'd post it here so it doesn't get lost in the Gearhead thread and everyone can see it! :)

WARNING: It is a shaky video with a handheld camera. Don't watch if you have motion sickness.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=guitars.mp4

11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Well thanks for the tour, Austin. That was fun and your guitar collection is very impressive. Even I understand that. :lol:

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Well thanks for the tour, Austin. That was fun and your guitar collection is very impressive. Even I understand that. :lol:

Thanks! :)

tequila girl
11-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks from me too OGG -I enjoyed the tour immensley, that is some collection - i'm impressed!!:thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks from me too OGG -I enjoyed the tour immensley, that is some collection - i'm impressed!!:thumbsup:

Thanks!! As I've said - I'm quite guitar obsessed and I love playing them and playing what I collect. All of them have been on stage with me at some point (the electric guitars) and I use them for different things.

Usually at a show I'll bring a small rack of guitars. A Les Paul, a Telecaster, a Stratocaster, a PRS or Carvin, 12-string, and my Taylor 6 string acoustic. It's usually 6 or 7 guitars and I change every 3 or so songs. We do acoustic stuff early in the set, and electric stuff later on in the set and usually close with Hotel California. My other guitar player is a die-hard Stratocaster (Fender) player, but picks up a Gibson for those heavier songs. Where as I'm more partial to Les Pauls and those are my favorites to play. It's nice because we have two unique guitar tones, and we never get in each others way tonally and we both cut through with different guitar sounds. If he's playing single coil, I'm playing humbucker or vice versa.

Geek talk, I know! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

tequila girl
11-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Geek talk, I know! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Hehehe you carry right on with your Geek Talk, I might not understand a lot of it but find it interesting nonetheless as i'm sure do others on here who are far more 'into' it than me! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Hehehe you carry right on with your Geek Talk, I might not understand a lot of it but find it interesting nonetheless as i'm sure do others on here who are far more 'into' it than me! :thumbsup:

I really love guitars - that's why I spend so much time and money and everything else trying to get more of them, and as I do, continually improve my skills. I started playing because of two reasons. One of them we all know (Joe Walsh, and to an extent Don Felder too) and one is a family friend of mine. This particular family friend was a guitar player and always tried to get me into music and guitar but I never took it seriously. I had a nice Gibson SG and never played it. Well unfortunately in January 2007, Mark had a seizure (he had Epilepsy) while he was driving to work and ran into a fencerow and totaled his car. He is now on a trach, feeding tube, and the works. His face is completely deformed, and can't eat, drink, taste, smell, or clearly talk. It's a very sad situation.

The month after Mark's accident I finally took his advice and listened to some bands, and some CD's my parents have and they had "Hotel California". Listening to that album made me go from a new-found music lover to wanting to be a musician. I started playing in February 2007. I am completely selftaught and am a blues style player, meaning I play by what I feel, and not big into theory or technical style playing. I follow my heroes, especially Joe Walsh. I don't read music (have no desire to and I've tried and can't) and I am more into playing by ear and feel and less by theory and technicality. I'm a blues style player, like Walsh, Felder, and many others that are inspirations. I still think about Mark and I could kick myself for not learning it sooner. We could have jammed together and played. Mark was an acoustic player, loved rock and country and loved to play his guitar. He and Joe are my true guitar heroes.

MikeA
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
THAT's not "geek talk" at all Austin...straight from the heart. And I gotta say, "I Hate You!" Started playing in 2007 and are self-taught! How I envy you the talent you have! You nail those licks with what seems to be no effort. I work for hours to get one lick down and if I don't play it often, I forget it <LOL> And I've been playing off and on for 50 years!

What you did by gracing us with your inventory on video is not only pleasing to us, but also wise on your part. With your investment, that video would be totally priceless should a disaster occur and you had to make an insurance claim. I do hope you have good homeowners insurance! For musical instruments, you won't have much trouble up to around $2,000 but it can get really sticky with equipment exceeding that and obviously, you have several that would reach that value alone!

sodascouts
11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
WOW, Austin!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. How horrible. That possibility, no matter how little I like to think about it, makes me say a quick prayer every time I get into the car (although of course if I truly thought it would happen I wouldn't drive).

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:03 PM
THAT's not "geek talk" at all Austin...straight from the heart. And I gotta say, "I Hate You!" Started playing in 2007 and are self-taught! How I envy you the talent you have! You nail those licks with what seems to be no effort. I work for hours to get one lick down and if I don't play it often, I forget it <LOL> And I've been playing off and on for 50 years!

What you did by gracing us with your inventory on video is not only pleasing to us, but also wise on your part. With your investment, that video would be totally priceless should a disaster occur and you had to make an insurance claim. I do hope you have good homeowners insurance! For musical instruments, you won't have much trouble up to around $2,000 but it can get really sticky with equipment exceeding that and obviously, you have several that would reach that value alone!

Oh yeah. I also have pictures of the guitars, pictures of the serial numbers, pictures of receipts (if I have them), and I write down the years, serial numbers, where I got it, etc just for that reason!! I keep all that information in several places. On the internet in my storage folder, a copy in my guitar room, and a copy in my dad's safe. I'm not taking any chances on anything.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
WOW, Austin!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. How horrible. That possibility, no matter how little I like to think about it, makes me say a quick prayer every time I get into the car (although of course if I truly thought it would happen I wouldn't drive).

Yes it is a very sad situation. What is even more sad is the fact he knew he was not feeling well, because he had turned the car around heading back home. He was on his way to work, must have felt something coming on, turned around to head home, and then it happened. If he would have just stopped the car and just called his wife or someone to come pick him up it never would have happened.

Prettymaid
11-22-2010, 04:07 PM
It just goes to show that no one ever knows how they are influencing another's life. We come into contact with people for a reason, what it is we may never know. Austin, you're so lucky your friend was able to infuence you musically. Now you're doing the same for others, and you probably don't even know it.

WalshFan88
11-22-2010, 10:05 PM
It just goes to show that no one ever knows how they are influencing another's life. We come into contact with people for a reason, what it is we may never know. Austin, you're so lucky your friend was able to infuence you musically. Now you're doing the same for others, and you probably don't even know it.

I agree. It really changed my life when I got started into music and then by learning to play it really made a big difference for me.

MikeA
11-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been working on a bluesy thing inspired by Hendrix and his "And The Wind Cries Mary". That is such a cool intro and played in the key of "F" of all things! Lots of Bb's and Ab's <LOL> Just a ton of "blue notes" that you can bend the heck out of all over the neck.

That intro is a Eb (on the 8th fret) then an E and then an F and you just strike the 4 low bass strings. After a little pause, it continues with the next three chords Cm7, Cm#7 and Dm7 (remember those chords you were describing in Funk #49?...just up a little higher on the neck). On that second set of chords, you are just playing the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings.

After that chorded intro, you go a little wild with a simple run that ends with a C chord on the 10th fret but you only play the E string and then the D G and B are arpeggio'd (actually, you shape this as an "F" chord on the 10th fret and fret the E string with your thumb...or at least I do!). You slide that chord down to the 6th fret for a Bb played the same way as the C. Finally, you slide all the way down to the "open F" on the first fret.

You can do a lot with that key and progression.

EaglesFanatic
11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been working on a bluesy thing inspired by Hendrix and his "And The Wind Cries Mary". That is such a cool intro and played in the key of "F" of all things! Lots of Bb's and Ab's <LOL> Just a ton of "blue notes" that you can bend the heck out of all over the neck.

That intro is a Eb (on the 8th fret) then an E and then an F and you just strike the 4 low bass strings. After a little pause, it continues with the next three chords Cm7, Cm#7 and Dm7 (remember those chords you were describing in Funk #49?...just up a little higher on the neck). On that second set of chords, you are just playing the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings.

After that chorded intro, you go a little wild with a simple run that ends with a C chord on the 10th fret but you only play the E string and then the D G and B are arpeggio'd (actually, you shape this as an "F" chord on the 10th fret and fret the E string with your thumb...or at least I do!). You slide that chord down to the 6th fret for a Bb played the same way as the C. Finally, you slide all the way down to the "open F" on the first fret.

You can do a lot with that key and progression.
I'd like to hear that Mike! I'm kind of playing around with Hendrix stuff. I can play Wind Cries Mary (not very well though :hilarious:). I'm also trying to work on Little Wing. That song is so difficult!

MikeA
11-24-2010, 06:15 PM
EF, I'll have to wait until I get my audio interface in before I can record anything. I wouldn't insult your ears with anything I could record with my little chat-room desk mic that I got at Wal-Mart for like $7 <LOL> I tried and everything I throw at it distorts bacdly...way overdriven and NOT in a GOOD WAY!

MikeA
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
This is the best I can do with just a sound card and a dynamic mic. I did get an adapter to go from the 1/4" plug to a 1/8" and then into my soundcard. I'm mic'ing the VOX amp with a Tweed model with pretty high gain.

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/BluesyStuff.mp3

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 09:43 PM
This is the best I can do with just a sound card and a dynamic mic. I did get an adapter to go from the 1/4" plug to a 1/8" and then into my soundcard. I'm mic'ing the VOX amp with a Tweed model with pretty high gain.

Great one Mike!!! I bet you'll be looking forward to getting that UX!

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Here is something different. An acoustic video....with singing. I'm doing "Take it Easy". I'm very shy about my singing, I know I'm not a great singer, so please be kind! :D The Carvin video is done and will be uploaded tomorrow evening.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=TIE.mp4

MikeA
11-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Love the acoustic vid Austin. Is that one of your Taylor's?

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Love the acoustic vid Austin. Is that one of your Taylor's?

Yup a Taylor 414ce. Glad you liked the video! :)

MikeA
11-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Great one Mike!!! I bet you'll be looking forward to getting that UX!

Sure am Austin. That setup was the one I used for years and years before I finally got that single input TonePort DI. Very basic. A 40 year old Realistic Optimus dynamic mic into a 1/8" adapter and then into the mic port on my sound card. That audio path isn't bad except for the mic and the sound card....WAIT, the Mic and the Soundcard ARE the audio path <LOL>

I'm just hoping that the phantom power XLR inputs on the UX2 are good ones. I'd hate to have to pull out the mixing board again but I have it just in case. I really like the idea that the UX2 can be used as an equalizer so that the mic inputs and instrument inputs can be leveled before it goes into the mix.

I'm also really hoping that the Vox footswitch will work with Gearbox and the interface. It will be nice to be able to kick in compression on demand, distortions and fuzz and reverb/tremlo/phase and flange. I can acomplish the same thing by playing it dry and the come back after the track is captured and add digital effects, but those are never as good in final cut as when they are when you capture them live. Something about the levels. I've never gotten it to work to my satisfaction.

Theoretically, you can capture nothing but a dry signal out of the amp and mix in effects with the DAW and Gearbox or PodFarm, but I do have some issues with that. Line 6 claims that taking the raw signal into the digital effects produces better effects than an amp and stompbox...but I have as of yet seen that proved out.

It'll be fun to play around with though.

Oh, you might send me your PRS. I think I might be able to mix it up pretty good with it. I think it your duty as teacher to student to provide me with such a red implement of destruction. Don't You?

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh, you might send me your PRS. I think I might be able to mix it up pretty good with it. I think it your duty as teacher to student to provide me with such a red implement of destruction. Don't You?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands first. I've been playing it all day. Took a break long enough to eat dinner, and back to playing I go. Right now I'm toggling between being online and playing it!

WalshFan88
11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=carvinprs.mp4

Finally did a Carvin video. I think I'm gonna change pickups in it from the S22 to the C22's. Don't care much for the S22's muddiness you can hear.

Also have a surprise in there somewhere! :shh:

tequila girl
11-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Good vid OGG, Glad to see you've been practising the facial grimaces! :)

Also have a surprise in there somewhere! :shh:Ha!! Some surprise....we all knew you wouldn't be able to keep your hands off it! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Ha!! Some surprise....we all knew you wouldn't be able to keep your hands off it! :hilarious:

:hilarious: You were all right... LOL! I tried.

MikeA
11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Appreciate it Austin. Man, How do you choose between the Carvin and the PRS. They are both CHOICE! Both are eye-candy too!

WalshFan88
11-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Appreciate it Austin. Man, How do you choose between the Carvin and the PRS. They are both CHOICE! Both are eye-candy too!

Both are very nice. As it stands now I like the PRS pickups better. The Carvin S22s are muddy to my ears. So I think I'll swap them for Carvin's C22s.

MikeA
11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I have heard the C22's were pretty darn "CHOICE". Have you any way of auditioning them before you invest? Carvin is hard to get a "listen to" because they really don't have any retail outlets. I think everything is sold direct from the factory in California.

Give this another listen. I re-recorded it using the UX2.

I am a little disappointed in the UX2. However it really IS NOT the fault of the UX2 I guess. For some reason, it is not sending my microphone signal to my DAW. I can hear it through my monitor speakers and it is a processed signal. All I can think of is that the USB port is not being picked up. The Guitar port is fine as you will hear in the above clip. I guess that for now, I'm going to have to go back through the mixing board to get a signal into the DAW with a microphone.

That sort of bums me out. Maybe I'll find some better drivers, or maybe try that Ableton Lite that came with the unit (a crippleware piece of crap!)

WalshFan88
11-26-2010, 11:23 PM
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Mike,

I'm on my iPad at my relatives and never travel with a laptop but I can't get the Quote thing to work right with long orginal messages, it won't let me scroll down to type below it.

I actually have a C22 in the bridge of my black Strat and I love it so I'm not worried.

Sorry to hear your disappointment with the UX2. Hope you get it figured out!

MikeA
11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I am NO worse off with the UX2 than with the DI I had before. Basically, the same thing...same interface in Gearbox. I just have fewer amp models and effects now. But I do have the somewhat functional footswitch option. Since I already OWN the big $100 bundle of effects and amps, I'm seriously considering Hacking them for the other Line6 product!

Funny, I never used them with the DI. I generally just mic'd my amp. Maybe I'm looking at it as a challenge. I'm like that. I learned to count cards playing blackjack for the challenge....not for the money! When you get to be my age, you have to set mental challenges to keep your mind sharp. Mine is dull enough and hair is gone from trying to sharpen it.

MikeA
11-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm going to turn Producer.

Here's Miles doing "I'll Stop The World" or something like that. He knows the song though I've never heard it before!

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/MilesIllStopTheWorld.mp3

WalshFan88
11-28-2010, 03:33 AM
I'm going to turn Producer.

Here's Miles doing "I'll Stop The World" or something like that. He knows the song though I've never heard it before!

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/MilesIllStopTheWorld.mp3

That's great Mike! You make a great Producer! :hilarious:

MikeA
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Still working on this one.

Telecaster both pups with tone knob about half, volum maxed.

AC30 Top Boost
Chorus
Reverb

I'm just calling it "Moods" for now. Basically, I'm working on the scales up and down the neck to get the lead mostly in F, but a couple of parts are in C and D

Most of the chords are "F" form....you know, "F" formed on the 10th fret is a "C".

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/moods.mp3

WalshFan88
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Still working on this one.

Telecaster both pups with tone knob about half, volum maxed.

AC30 Top Boost
Chorus
Reverb

I'm just calling it "Moods" for now. Basically, I'm working on the scales up and down the neck to get the lead mostly in F, but a couple of parts are in C and D

Most of the chords are "F" form....you know, "F" formed on the 10th fret is a "C".

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/moods.mp3

Kinda sounds like Jimi Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary". My favorite song by him. Great clip!

MikeA
11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Kinda sounds like Jimi Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary". My favorite song by him. Great clip!

Thanks. The opening IS from Hendrix's "Mary". The rest is improv.

WalshFan88
11-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks. The opening IS from Hendrix's "Mary". The rest is improv.

Thought it was. Sounded familiar to me.

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=SG.mp4

My SG demo video.

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
:) :)

MikeA
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I posted a comment on your video and then turned around and deleted it. It was copying your link to my FB page and I didn't think you wanted the freakin' world to go out and listen in on what was a personal message to your friends here on the Border.

I do absolutely LOVE the tone those Pearly Gates pups produce. I'm tempted sorely to slap a pair of them into my ES 335. You demonstrated their warm side (which is what I'm usually after) yet, with overdrive, they zing out. Great set Austin.

Oh, and on the "expressing self" through your instrument....I do that a lot to. Not even playing anything anyone would recognize. So much you can do with the Pentatonic Blues Scales, the Minor Scales and Major Scales. It's a great way to just kick back and hang out on the wires.

Shadowland07
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43g0GgsV2mU

decided to record it since it's snowing outside and Christmas is close

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I posted a comment on your video and then turned around and deleted it. It was copying your link to my FB page and I didn't think you wanted the freakin' world to go out and listen in on what was a personal message to your friends here on the Border.

I do absolutely LOVE the tone those Pearly Gates pups produce. I'm tempted sorely to slap a pair of them into my ES 335. You demonstrated their warm side (which is what I'm usually after) yet, with overdrive, they zing out. Great set Austin.

Oh, and on the "expressing self" through your instrument....I do that a lot to. Not even playing anything anyone would recognize. So much you can do with the Pentatonic Blues Scales, the Minor Scales and Major Scales. It's a great way to just kick back and hang out on the wires.

Yeah the Pearly Gates are awesome. Billy Gibbons is a great guitar player (they are modeled after his '59 Les Paul).

I typically use the Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scale. I don't do much in Major Pentatonic, 95 percent of what I play is the above two.

sodascouts
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
That's great!

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 10:56 PM
That's great!

Thanks! :)

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43g0GgsV2mU

decided to record it since it's snowing outside and Christmas is close

Great! Nice guitar too! Dunno why I just now saw this.

MikeA
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I just got over here too Shadowland and saw your vid. Nice! Tell us about your gear.

MikeA
12-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Austin,

Question

"New Kid In Town", why is it that the songs that do not initially intrigue me end up being the ones that I end up infatuated with a need to learn?. That same thing happened when I first heard that "I Dreamed There Was No War" won a Grammy for Glenn Frey. It wasn't until I learned the song and began playing it that I gained an appreciation for it.

That wasn't my question though.

It is one of technique. That little opening riff in "NKIT". 4 notes. 4th and 3rd strings on the 9th fret and the 7th fret on the 2nd string. I seem to hear a "slide" from that 7th fret to the 9th fret on the "B" string. My fingers don't bend in those directions <LOL> I can hammer it on with my pinky but even that gets awfully crowded forming that "A" chord up on the 9th with three fingers instead of a short bar.

How do you do it? Or do you play that one?

Also, that immediate switch to 7th fret on the "B" string and 6th on the "G" string with a slide to the 8th on the "G" string. I can almost do that but usually resort to a hammer-on to the 8th. But that initial configuration, it's a form that is backwards. The closest form to it is a "D" but that is on different strings. My "muscle memory" isn't working for that quick switch.

Thought maybe there was a trick I'm not seeing.

WalshFan88
12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Austin,

Question

"New Kid In Town", why is it that the songs that do not initially intrigue me end up being the ones that I end up infatuated with a need to learn?. That same thing happened when I first heard that "I Dreamed There Was No War" won a Grammy for Glenn Frey. It wasn't until I learned the song and began playing it that I gained an appreciation for it.

That wasn't my question though.

It is one of technique. That little opening riff in "NKIT". 4 notes. 4th and 3rd strings on the 9th fret and the 7th fret on the 2nd string. I seem to hear a "slide" from that 7th fret to the 9th fret on the "B" string. My fingers don't bend in those directions <LOL> I can hammer it on with my pinky but even that gets awfully crowded forming that "A" chord up on the 9th with three fingers instead of a short bar.

How do you do it? Or do you play that one?

Also, that immediate switch to 7th fret on the "B" string and 6th on the "G" string with a slide to the 8th on the "G" string. I can almost do that but usually resort to a hammer-on to the 8th. But that initial configuration, it's a form that is backwards. The closest form to it is a "D" but that is on different strings. My "muscle memory" isn't working for that quick switch.

Thought maybe there was a trick I'm not seeing.

Those NKIT electric parts are Felder parts, and therefore my other guitarist Steve plays them and I just play the rhythm parts. But, I will try to work it out and help you out. I'll have to learn Felder's intro. I do believe there is a "slide in" part.

MikeA
12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Working on a Carol to post here. Problem is that it's taking forever to figure out how all the editing in Reaper works. But I've got an arpeggio foundation laid with all the chords and am now working on the VOX for it....not my vocals. I don't have near the range for this one. But my Telecaster has all the "range" I need.

Hopefully in the next day or so.

WalshFan88
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Back with a bang!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=strat.mp4

Another piece of information I forgot to mention in the video is that because I'm blind in one of my eyes, I can't drive.

MikeA
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Great work on the Strat Austin. Man, turn you loose with a DAW and a good interface, and you could be putting out just about anything you could dream up! Complete with ALL PARTS!

Okay, I understand a bit better now. I really had no idea that you were dealing with so many different issues. Hang onto that guitar through it all though. It seems to be and should be for you your "touchstone" that Provides Anchor!

I had a guitar pick that I kept up on my computer case...saw it every time I sat down at my desk. It had printed on it, "Have You Hugged Your Guitar Today?"

WalshFan88
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Great work on the Strat Austin. Man, turn you loose with a DAW and a good interface, and you could be putting out just about anything you could dream up! Complete with ALL PARTS!

Okay, I understand a bit better now. I really had no idea that you were dealing with so many different issues. Hang onto that guitar through it all though. It seems to be and should be for you your "touchstone" that Provides Anchor!

I had a guitar pick that I kept up on my computer case...saw it every time I sat down at my desk. It had printed on it, "Have You Hugged Your Guitar Today?"

Thanks! I like that Strat. I have one more video coming up with a Tele.

Yeah I have several medical issues I've had since birth. And I always have depression in the winter (seasonal affective disorder or SAD). But it's just hard for me right now with everything going on. And the fact winter is so lonely. My dog was my companion and now he is gone so it makes it worse.

MikeA
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll go ahead and link to this one even though I haven't finished it yet. I posted it in another thread, but it ought to be here.

"O Holy Night"

http://mvabercrombie.net/O%20Holy%20Night.mp3

I did this one with a clean signal into Reaper and then added a little reverb to the background arpeggios. The lead on it is a model labeled as "1987 Jazz Clean" to which I removed the delay but left the "verb" effects in on it.

To get the constant timing needed for the arpeggios in the background, I just recorded each chord until I got it "perfect" and saved that measure. I then cut and pasted the chords in sequence into the main background track.

Chords are all in the open position: "C" "F" "G" "Em" "B7" "Am" and "Dm".

WalshFan88
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll go ahead and link to this one even though I haven't finished it yet. I posted it in another thread, but it ought to be here.

"O Holy Night"

I did this one with a clean signal into Reaper and then added a little reverb to the background arpeggios. The lead on it is a model labeled as "1987 Jazz Clean" to which I removed the delay but left the "verb" effects in on it.

To get the constant timing needed for the arpeggios in the background, I just recorded each chord until I got it "perfect" and saved that measure. I then cut and pasted the chords in sequence into the main background track.

Chords are all in the open position: "C" "F" "G" "Em" "B7" "Am" and "Dm".

Very cool Mike. I might try to experiment with my recording stuff tonight!

WalshFan88
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Here is my Tele video. NOTE: If you haven't seen my return to the border Strat video, go back a page and watch it first, it explains a lot!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=tele.mp4

MikeA
12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Tele's are pretty amazing. I mean, most people think that they are built for "country" with all the twang. Set up right though, they can put out dripping gobs of tone and they "handle" so sweet. I've learned to really appreciate them over the past couple of years and now, my Tele is more and more my "go to" instrument. It fits me better than the LP (neck shape mainly). It feels more like my 335-clone. Love both of them, but the Tele is more comfortable to hold. That Sheraton II is a big handfull!

WalshFan88
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Tele's are pretty amazing. I mean, most people think that they are built for "country" with all the twang. Set up right though, they can put out dripping gobs of tone and they "handle" so sweet. I've learned to really appreciate them over the past couple of years and now, my Tele is more and more my "go to" instrument. It fits me better than the LP (neck shape mainly). It feels more like my 335-clone. Love both of them, but the Tele is more comfortable to hold. That Sheraton II is a big handfull!

Tele's are my favorite Fender guitar. Nothing wrong with Strats, but I find Tele's to be better suited for what I do. I have 5 Teles, and only 1 non-humbucker Strat, that should tell you something. :hilarious: I'd seriously like to get another Strat at some point though, something with a Maple neck. I'd like to get a rosewood neck Tele too. All of my Strats are RW and all of my Teles are Maple. Not on purpose, it's just how it worked out. Les Pauls and Teles are my favorite instruments from the 50s. I like SGs for that hard rock stuff and I like Strats but LP and Tele is where it's at for me. I find Strats to not have the thickness of a Tele when you overdrive it. Call me crazy, but I think my Teles sound fatter than my Strat. That's why I go to them more often. But I still love my Strat. It's a good guitar, it's just that I prefer Teles just a bit more. I think it's just the fact it's a simple workhorse type guitar.

Teles are THE most versatile guitar. I've heard people say the Strat is the most versatile guitar but I disagree. I've seen Teles in Country, Rockabilly, Rock, Blues, Metal, Punk, Funk, and all that junk! :hilarious: I've seen Strats in Country, Rock, and Blues. Strats IMO are less versatile than a tele. You put a humbucker pickup in the neck position of the tele and a single coil tele pickup in the bridge, you have one versatile instrument. That's what Keith Richards does. He puts humbuckers in the neck. I have one Tele with a HB in the neck, and it's a very versatile instrument. Can twang, sing, and SCREAM!

MikeA
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I've done about all I intend to do with "O Holy Night" now. I completely "redid" it using nothing but Tele recorded DRY. I digitally added the reverb to it with my DAW (Reaper). Really, the effort was one that let me get my feet wet with the new DAW and I have to say I rather like it.

tequila girl
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I haven't a clue what you're talking about Mike :hilarious: but I like it, sounds really good! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Great clip Mike - sounds great!

MikeA
12-09-2010, 02:07 PM
By "DRY" TG, I simply meant that there were no effects at all in place in the audio stream. It was a Telecaster, so there was a little coloration simply because of the pickups but basically, it sounded like an acoustic guitar on both parts...the background arpeggios which are really just the chords being "picked" rather than strummed...and the "lead" which was just as "plain".

I then used my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) "Reaper" to get the tracks lined up, redid any mistakes and overdubbed them, then selected the sound effects for the guitar. I selected nothing but a REVERB to add "air" to the melody. In addition, I added just a touch of distortion to give it a little more character.

As for the background arpeggios, they are recorded and left DRY. Just an acoustic sound. Usually, I will add just a little reverb or chorus to background chords, but I found that doing that "confused" the ear with the background competing too much with the lead for prominence. So I left it completely dry.

MikeA
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
If you guys would like, I could record some simple examples of "dry" tracks and then that same track with effects like echo, phaser, flanger, reverb, chorus, octavia, distortion and overdrive, whatever. There are thousands of effects that take a colorless sound and turn it into something hopefully more pleasant to listen to. The new DAW thread over in Cheap Talk And Wine would be the place for such stuff.

Let me know if you want me to do that.

tequila girl
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey Mike, if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you that'd be great - being able to hear what you're talking about might help! :thumbsup: :hilarious:

MikeA
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
No Problem. I'll do it tonight and give you 8 or 10 different effects on the same measure of something just so you can hear what I'm talking about.

MikeA
12-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, here we go: I was asked to show (audibly) exactly what it meant when I mention recording something "dry" or adding an effect in with a DAW.

To that goal, I recorded a few measures of Glenn Frey's "I Dreamed There Was No War".

Above each snippit of the recording, I state what the effects used in that snippit. Realize, I played this ONLY ONE TIME with no effects at all...in other words, "Dry". I made copies of the "dry" recording and then selected a few of the available effects that came from only one of the libraries.

When I select one of the effects, there is a graphic representation with knobs and switches and sliders that allow you to dial in the parameters of the effect.

For instance, if I choose a reverb effect, I would get the option to select either a "Gate Reverb" or an "RMS Reverb" or maybe a "Spring Reverb".

Within each of those selections, you get maybe three controls to dink around with including "Duration", Depth", "Tone" and probably "Level". The point is that there are an almost infinite number of settings that can make two "takes" of the same recording sound completely different.

I have selected only a few. Some of the effects are pretty exotic. One adds "scratches and clicks" to a track that sound for all the world like a worn LP Vinyl plate. Others use synth translations that can turn about any recording into really weird sounding NOISE.

The possibilities are virtually endless, and I've only demo'd around 10 in the samples below.

Here's DRY...vanilla...nuthin done to it at all.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/Dry.mp3

Next is Distortion

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/Distortion.mp3

Next is Distortion with Flanger

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/DistOvrFlange.mp3

Then Distortion with Reverb

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/DistOvrFlange.mp3

Next, an exaggerated ECHO

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/EchoExaggerated.mp3

Next, Flanger with Overdrive

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/FlangeOvr.mp3

Then one with a Gate Reverb

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/GateReverb.mp3

Here's one with a Large Hall Reverb

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/HallRevb.mp3

A Phaser with Delay

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/PhaseDelay.mp3

Finally one with Auto Wah-Wah and some Distortion

http://mvabercrombie.net/Border/WahDist.mp3

WalshFan88
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Great Mike!

I really like using stompboxes though and my own amp rather than simulation. I'm an analog guy... I like pedals with knobs and switches.

MikeA
12-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Great Mike!

I really like using stompboxes though and my own amp rather than simulation. I'm an analog guy... I like pedals with knobs and switches.

These DO HAVE knobs and switches...but they are digital <LOL>

You can still use all your brick and mortar amps, switches, knobs and stomp boxes. But to do so, you will to get a good microphone and then you'll have to deal with the feedback. But it can be done and is considered by most people doing serious recording as being the BEST way to record on a computer.

MikeA
12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Post 107 contains the demos of the effects. I added an explanation to that post to clarify (hopefully) what was intended.

WalshFan88
12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
These DO HAVE knobs and switches...but they are digital <LOL>

I should have said physical knobs, switches, and buttons! :hilarious:

tequila girl
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks for that Mike - very interesting........and now I can understand what you mean! ;-) :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
12-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Demonstrating the Dunlop Jazz III pick and Regular Slinky 10-46 Ernie Ball Strings on "Ruby", a Gibson Les Paul Classic.

NOTE: The Already Gone solo is played nowhere near that fast. I was rushing to meet the video time limit before it ran over and cut me off and I get mad! :D

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=lespaul.mp4

MikeA
12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Certainly could tell the difference. Do you attribute that to the "finer" point or to the stiffness or thickness of the pick or to the material it's made of?

I have a metal pick that can produce some pretty strange sounds, but I seldom play it. It's really rough on the strings.

WalshFan88
12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Certainly could tell the difference. Do you attribute that to the "finer" point or to the stiffness or thickness of the pick or to the material it's made of?

I have a metal pick that can produce some pretty strange sounds, but I seldom play it. It's really rough on the strings.

Definitely the tip/point. That's what makes the Dunlop Jazz III so special. You have a lot less string to "push through" to release or get to the next string. It makes me more accurate, cleaner, and faster too. I had been using rounded tip/point picks since the beginning. Between that and going to a higher gauge string my tone has improved ten-fold.

MikeA
12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I'll experiment with the sharp picks. I know I have some somewhere. If not, I'll pick up a pack of them the next time I'm at Guitar Center.

This part isn't addressed to you Austin (but correct me if I stated something wrong!), but rather to those who might not understand about strings and stuff.

There is always a give-and-take when it comes to strings. Generally, heaver strings produce more "tone". But, for lead players particularly, heavier strings are harder to "bend". They are also harder to make clean bar chords with. So players have to find a compromise between ease of playing and tone.

The 10's Austin is talking about are considered "light". 13's would be considered heavy strings. I had my old Fender Prodigy strung with 10's at one point while trying to learn slide (you are neither bending nor "fretting" much with slide). With slide, that compromise doesn't exist so you go all out for tone.

I'm using a hybrid set of strings right now. They are heavy on the bass strings but light on the high strings. I like the tone of the bass strings (power chords and the bass notes for chords) but like the light strings that allow me to bend them easier.

One other thing...with heavy strings, you have to set the action higher on the neck so that the strings don't "buzz". Light strings really vibrate when struck hard and that can cause them to touch other fret wires than the one you want that string to touch causing that "buzz". But, Higher Action also requires more effort to press the strings to the fretboard to make a note or chord and consequently slows down the player making really fast notes more difficult to strike cleanly.

WalshFan88
12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll experiment with the sharp picks. I know I have some somewhere. If not, I'll pick up a pack of them the next time I'm at Guitar Center.

This part isn't addressed to you Austin (but correct me if I stated something wrong!), but rather to those who might not understand about strings and stuff.

There is always a give-and-take when it comes to strings. Generally, heaver strings produce more "tone". But, for lead players particularly, heavier strings are harder to "bend". They are also harder to make clean bar chords with. So players have to find a compromise between ease of playing and tone.

The 10's Austin is talking about are considered "light". 13's would be considered heavy strings. I had my old Fender Prodigy strung with 10's at one point while trying to learn slide (you are neither bending nor "fretting" much with slide). With slide, that compromise doesn't exist so you go all out for tone.

I'm using a hybrid set of strings right now. They are heavy on the bass strings but light on the high strings. I like the tone of the bass strings (power chords and the bass notes for chords) but like the light strings that allow me to bend them easier.

One other thing...with heavy strings, you have to set the action higher on the neck so that the strings don't "buzz". Light strings really vibrate when struck hard and that can cause them to touch other fret wires than the one you want that string to touch causing that "buzz". But, Higher Action also requires more effort to press the strings to the fretboard to make a note or chord and consequently slows down the player making really fast notes more difficult to strike cleanly.

What you said about strings is true. I really am finally get used to the 10s playing lead.

One trick I learned from my blues friend is on a Les Paul you can topwrap 10s and make them FEEL like 9s, but have the thicker tone. You can do it with 11s too, which will be what I try in a year or so after I adjust properly.

To topwrap, you put the string in the tailpiece backwards (the ball of the string is facing the headstock), and wrap the string over the top of the metal tailpiece and string like regular. It makes them more slinky while still giving you that tone. I got use to 10s the regular way but it's a great idea to try.

When I try 11s after next year, I'll topwrap them for a few months to get adjusted. topwrapped 11s are supposed to feel like 10s. Topwrapped 10s are supposed to feel like 9s, and so on. I'll never get past 11-48, but I would like to get there, but I'm not gonna do it if I have to get the nut filed or changed. I'll stick with 10s if that's the case. I just as a rhythm guy love the thick chunky bottom end fullness with the heavier gauge, but I also play lead too, and I need to be able to bend. That's why if I do try 11s, I'd topwrap them for a good long while before trying it the regular way. 11s are supposed to be the best for that thick SRV-style blues tone. He used those and tuned a half step down to E flat. That's Stevies sound right there.

I'd like to find a 10/11 hybrid to try in about 6 months and work my way up. I can't compromise my lead abilities though. Even though I'm playing rhythm and singing lead in the band, I've got to be able to play my solos and fills on Walsh's parts. Steve plays the Felder bits. So I might just stick with 10s or a 10/11 hybrid instead of 11s. I'm definitely not gonna do it this coming year. I'm adjusting to 10s pretty well but I want to adjust a bit more first live. Ernie Ball calls their 10/11 hybrid "Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Slinkys". The heaviest string they make for standard tuning is a 11-48 Power Slinky. I started on Extra Slinkys (8s), then played Super Slinkys for a couple years (9s), then a few months back I got onto the Hybrid Slinkys (9/10 hybrid). Now I'm playing the Regular Slinkys (10s). My next step is the 10/11 hybrid sometime next year. Then maybe get to Power Slinkys in a couple years and stay there forever. I'll never go past 11s. It'd be too hard.

MikeA
12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I may or may not have stated the diameters of the Hybrid Slinky strings I bought Sunday and am now using on my Paul and on my Tele.

They come in an orange plastic bag. The weights are from "e" to "E"

It's those bottom three that are monsters. Normal "lights" are usually 9 to 42.
Those with 46 are usually 10 to 46 and the "B" and "G" strings are also heavier.

I wouldn't mind having a "G" string on my Tele that is 18 or so. 16 is guage for the Hybrid Slinkey set. I like a heaver "G" string on the Tele since that is a key string for most solo on the Telecaster and I like to have that one really stand out in tone...even if the set is a Light or Extra Light set. But ONLY on the Tele. The LP is just as happy as it can be with a 16 or even a 15.

tequila girl
12-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Two posts ago I thought I was beginning to understand you Mike.................now i'm not so sure! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

MikeA
12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
TG, sorry,

I'll take this to the Gearheads topic. Probably will be more at home there.

ticky
12-16-2010, 02:49 AM
I got so excited when I saw this in my Email, obviously its WAYYY above my head but I'm gonna try! Thought maybe some of ya'll might have fun with it too.
James Taylor Guitar Lessons (http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitarlessons/)

Prettymaid
12-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I got so excited when I saw this in my Email, obviously its WAYYY above my head but I'm gonna try! Thought maybe some of ya'll might have fun with it too.
James Taylor Guitar Lessons (http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitarlessons/)

"I promise not to abuse your attention". Love it!

Good for you Ticky! And thanks for the link.

Okay, who else is going to sign up for guitar lessons from FREAKIN' JAMES TAYLOR!!!?

MikeA
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
As a grumpy old man, I despise anyone who can do with his fingers on a guitar that which people such as James Taylor can do! But I'm going to try to follow along with him too Rhonda.

I think that is the first time I've EVER seen a "lesson" with a camera angle from INSIDE the sound hole of an acoustic guitar!

Thanks for the link

Scarlet Sun
12-17-2010, 05:32 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/_MG_3150.jpg?t=1292578297

Scarlet Sun
12-17-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=104316642937739 (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/video/video.php?v=104316642937739)

Scarlet Sun
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
audio quality - quite poor:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1538926510571

Prettymaid
12-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Is that you SS? I like it a lot!

Scarlet Sun
12-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Is that you SS? I like it a lot!
Groovy, thanks, you've encouraged me to keep posting:robinhood:

Here's another brief burst:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104315942937809

MikeA
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Load us up with them SS! Some really good acoustic being picked out there!

Scarlet Sun
12-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Load us up with them SS! Some really good acoustic being picked out there!

Thanks, will do! We have some stuff from shows we just need to separate and upload, and we're filming some things in 16mm and 8mm as well

MikeA
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
A friend of mine at work asked me to work this one up. It is about as simply done as can be. I recorded it on my Epi 335 clone (Sheraton II) using all digital effects after recording it with a dry signal. I played it in the key of "C".

O Come All Ye Faithful

http://mvabercrombie.net/O%20Come%20All%20Ye%20Faithful.mp3

tequila girl
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
That's nice Mike - it should go in the 'Christmas Countdown' Thread :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
12-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice Mike!!!

MikeA
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
If you have already listened to "Silent Night", listen again. I cleaned it up a lot and changed the background chords.

I also changed guitars! It actually sounded more Three-Dee on the Epiphone Sheraton (my black semi hollow body guitar)

I added another while dinking around. Ended up playing it in "F" which tosses in a chord that I've seldom used ("A#).....okay, it's really not that uncommon as it is also sort of Bb. But for this song, it sounds best if played only with the "D" "G", "B" strings barr'd on the 3rd fret and you only play those three strings.

The other chords are "F" "C" and "C7". Nothing fancy. Played pretty clean on the Epiphone Sheraton II with a lot of chorus on the chords and some reverb on the VOX part.

"Silent Night"
http://mvabercrombie.net/Silent%20Night.mp3

WalshFan88
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
If you have already listened to "Silent Night", listen again. I cleaned it up a lot and changed the background chords.

I also changed guitars! It actually sounded more Three-Dee on the Epiphone Sheraton (my black semi hollow body guitar)

I added another while dinking around. Ended up playing it in "F" which tosses in a chord that I've seldom used ("A#).....okay, it's really not that uncommon as it is also sort of Bb. But for this song, it sounds best if played only with the "D" "G", "B" strings barr'd on the 3rd fret and you only play those three strings.

The other chords are "F" "C" and "C7". Nothing fancy. Played pretty clean on the Epiphone Sheraton II with a lot of chorus on the chords and some reverb on the VOX part.

"Silent Night"
http://mvabercrombie.net/Silent%20Night.mp3

I really like it on the Epi Sheraton Mike, sounds very cool!

MikeA
12-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I wanted to work some on my Pentatonic Blues Scales but wanted a bit more of a challenge than just running the scales.

I whipped out a two-track "Blues Boogie" loop in 12-bar format in "Em". You can improvise on top of it easily (hopefully) on any of the scale positions in "E".

It's kind of fun improvising over it. Just end each run with the note of the chord that is played next!

12-bar in Em

Em7 Em7 Em7 Em7 A7 A7 Em7 Em7 B7 A7 Em7 A7 and repeat.

Download it at http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie.mp3

Give it a trial listen here:
http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie.mp3

MikeA
12-31-2010, 05:53 PM
I remade that 12-bar blues loop. Same key of "E" (E A B). But it sounds a lot better and is a little different.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie.mp3

MikeA
01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I probably should go into a little bit of music theory after mentioning the 12-bar blues in the previous post. You have probably all heard of the 12-bar blues at some time or other. Though it is most likely the most popular of the standard forms, it has a lot of variations and competition (e.g. 8-bar is also used a lot).

But exactly what does it mean or exactly "what" is it.

If you look it up on Wikipedia, you will see that it is defined as:

"I" "I" "I" "I"
"V" "V" "I" "I"
"IV" "V" "I" "V"

Each "letter" above represents a 4-count measure or "bar" and there are twelve of them, hence the term "12-bar".

So, now you know <LOL>

Okay, The "I" the "IV" and the "V" are generic names of chords used from the scale in whatever key you are playing in. So, what is the "key" and how are the chords determined that are in that Key?

There are a total of 12 basic chords in the complete chromatic scale (A A# B C C# D....etc through G# and then they repeat). However there are only 7 chords in any given key (basic chords I mean, there are an infinite number of exceptions!)

There is a formula that you can use that is described in a web-site I created that explains exactly "how" those 7 chords are determined. You can visit it at THIS LINK (http://mvabercrombie.net/Music/Theory/Structure/Structure.html) if you wish...I will not get THAT far into it here.

But suffice to say that after you have determined those 7 chords, the "I" the "IV" and the "V" refer to the FIRST, FOURTH and FIFTH chords in the key.

A quick reference I use to determine what chords are in a scale can be FOUND HERE (http://mvabercrombie.net/Music/Theory/Circle%20of%20Fifths/Circle%20of%20Fifths.html) in a page devoted to the "Circle of Fifths".

After you select the key you wish to play in ("E" in the case of the loop I created) you have the "I" chord...."E" (duh!) The "IV" chord willl always be the chord one pie wedge in the counterclockwise direction. The "V" chord (A) will always be one position in the Clockwise direction ("B")

So there you have it. Looking at the "Circle" you can see that the "C" key would use "C" as the first...."F" as the fourth...."G" as the fifth.

MikeA
01-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Tied to the previous post on 12-bar blues, here is a pattern based on the 8-bar structure. It is the form used by Elvis Presley with "Heartbreak Hotel"

"Heartbreak Hotel" (variation with the I on the first half):
I I I I
IV IV V I

These forms are not etched in granite. They have many variations, but most are based on a verse, an echo and then a turnaround before launching into the next verse or stanza.

MikeA
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, after getting a loop generated that sounded okay, I thought I might try to improvise a little and see what it sounded like. Here's what I came up with. No patches or corrections in this (and you can dern sure tell it).

Boogie Improv:
http://mvabercrombie.net/MoBoogieE.mp3

MikeA
01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
It gets confusing. I've seen 12-bar patterns stated

I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V

and THAT's the way I played that loop except I used an IV on the turnaround where I should have used a V. It is the way I usually play it except with that loop, I used a "A7" as a turnaround when I should have used a "B7".

By the way, Blues is usually played with all chords 7ths (E7 B7 A7) and more often than not, you'll hear blues played in the minor so it would be Em7 Am7 and Bm7 although sometimes it is ONLY the V chord that is a 7th.

So I played it E E E E A A B A E A.

But I've seen other patterns for 12-bar that are

I I I I V V I I V IV I IV

Which would play E E E E B B E E B A E A

Okay, it's confusing with all the different acceptable pattern. What matters is what you like best. But when you sit down some someone you aren't used to playing with and they say, lets play some 12-bar in "E"....you'd be sort of embarrassed if you played "A" when your partner was playing a "B".

MikeA
01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Just jammin' to a 100 bpm boogie blues rhythm. It's actually three tracks...one the bass boogie rhythm, then a simple chorded track and finally an improv over it all.

Oh, and on this one I did use the "V" for the turnaround. Played all of this one on my Les Paul with different pickups selected for the three different tracks and a different tone setting, but didn't do a lot with the amp.

Boogie 100
http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie100.mp3

WalshFan88
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Finally - as promised long ago - a video.

Demoing the Wampler handmade overdrive pedal. Very bluesy. My favorite pedal I've heard or tried. Absolutely great construction and quality. Better be for $200!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=border.mp4

WalshFan88
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Just jammin' to a 100 bpm boogie blues rhythm. It's actually three tracks...one the bass boogie rhythm, then a simple chorded track and finally an improv over it all.

Oh, and on this one I did use the "V" for the turnaround. Played all of this one on my Les Paul with different pickups selected for the three different tracks and a different tone setting, but didn't do a lot with the amp.

Boogie 100
http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie100.mp3

Very nice Mike!!!

MikeA
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I like that overdrive with the new pedal. Not over the top the way you had it set. WORTHY! Really like it.

I have laid down another loop and am hunting for a lead to play over it. See what you think of it. Still 12-bar pattern but stretched out to 60 beats per minute.

I used a lot of effects on the bass run. Fuzz Face distortion, a lot of Delay and Reverb. I wanted to get it deep enough to substitute for a true bass guitar. I think I got pretty close to what I was after.

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/Boogie60.mp3

It is structured to be looped as many times as you wish.

MikeA
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay, it ain't "Boogie" but I think I found the "voice" for that rhythm track. I have to work on the ending. I lost a count somewhere in there <LOL> but I can patch that.

See what you think.
http://mvabercrombie.net/Boogie60B.mp3

WalshFan88
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Okay, it ain't "Boogie" but I think I found the "voice" for that rhythm track. I have to work on the ending. I lost a count somewhere in there <LOL> but I can patch that.

See what you think.

Very nice Mike. Very cool! I need to get more familiar with my recording program... I just have been too busy to set down and learn more than just the basic functions! LOL. I have the GX Line 6 with Pod Farm and it's a pretty good system. GarageBand is my DAW/recording program. It's Apple's own program. It's for consumers. They have a Pro DAW program too called Logic. It's confusing.

WalshFan88
01-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I like that overdrive with the new pedal. Not over the top the way you had it set. WORTHY! Really like it.

Me too. It's the best pedal I've ever bought. It's worth every penny IMO.

MikeA
01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd imagine that those of you who play guitar have seen something like this about a thousand times...but I don't think it has been posted here on the Forum.

This is the Guitar Fret Board laid out for the key of "E" with the Minor Pentatonic Scale notes marked and color coded. It helps when improvising over chords in the E A B progression (I IV V or blues scale).

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=12&pictureid=889

Fret positions that do not have a note name in them do not belong to the Minor Pentatonic Scale in the Key of "E". Well, that's not literally true. "Bb" is what is known as a Blues Note and while it isn't officially part of that Scale, Blues players do use that note to add "expression". It is often played by bending the "IV" note up a half step to get the "Vb" note.

If you begin with the note that is the same as the chord name when you change, just about anything you do as long as it is one of the notes in that scale, will sound okay...some better than others.

For example, if you have just finished playing over a background "E" chord, and the next chord in the progression is to be "A7", then if you Start the first note over that "A7" chord with an "A", then anything else you play (A B D E or G) before the next chord change will fit in the key of "E" and sound good.

Of course, the fretboard on a guitar doesn't change....always the same. How can I say this? There are patterns in the Blues scale (and any scale for that matter). There are 5 patterns that remain the same. In the key of "E", pattern 1 starts on the nut or open fret (first fret). But in the key of "A" for instance, pattern 1 starts on fret 5 or the "A" fret. The root note or the red note is in the same position within the pattern (i.e. it is the 5th fret of the first string in "A"...in "E" it is on the first fret or the "E" fret).

So, once you learn the patterns and the relative positions of the "I" "IV" and "V" notes in each pattern, you can play in ANY key just by changing where you start off. Bb or Eb key is no more difficult that the key of "E".

MikeA
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I adjusted the volume on the lead on the Minor Progression I came up with so it doesn't overpower the bass line. Also added a bit of a different ending to it. When you are playing a 12-bar pattern, the last time through, you should really resolve the progression back to "E" either by following the normal 12 bar A7 with a 13th bar "E", or by replacing the 12 bar "A7" with an "E". That "A7" leaves you expecting something to follow it. The "E" brings the phrase to a conclusion. I'm still off just a little bit on the timing on that last four bars but it's pretty close.

Playing at 60bpm, I tend to rush things a bit and get ahead of the progression!

You can listen to it hear. You may need to clear your browser's cashe to hear the newest version if you've listened to it before. I used the same name.

WalshFan88
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I only play leads in Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scale. I'm very much like Walsh, playing by feel and not by technicality/theory based.

BTW Mike I think I'm gonna shoot one more video with "Ruby" (my Gibson Les Paul Classic cherryburst) and demo the Paisley again on the neck pickup with some blues leads. It's a GREAT blues pedal. It's got that smooth creamy sound.

MikeA
01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
You can double your repertoire pretty easily by studying the Major Pentatonic Austin. It has the same patterns but they are shifted backwards one pattern position and the root notes and IV and V change of course. But you don't have to learn new patterns and you can get a completely different and brighter sound and that works well for some songs.

Though, admittedly, a majority of Rock and Blues are played using the minor Pentatonic with the Vb added. Especially true of Blues. The chords change a lot to to include most everything as a "minor"....Em7 Am7 and Bm7 for the "E" scale. It just seems as though those chords lend for more expression and Blues is all about expression.

I read once that unlike a lot of guitarists, Eric Clapton does almost everything in Minor Pentatonic. But he knows those scales like the back of his hand and plays them as fast or faster than anyone! I believe it. That's sort of like what Keith Richards did with the open "G" tunings. He pretty much made a career of that setup!

Walsh isn't known for being as focused on one thing as Clapton and Richards. Though Joe has really found a notch with the talent he was inspired by Dwayne Allman to master (slide!) I think Joe may have a lot more classical training than most popular guitarists.

WalshFan88
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
You can double your repertoire pretty easily by studying the Major Pentatonic Austin. It has the same patterns but they are shifted backwards one pattern position and the root notes and IV and V change of course. But you don't have to learn new patterns and you can get a completely different and brighter sound and that works well for some songs.

Though, admittedly, a majority of Rock and Blues are played using the minor Pentatonic with the Vb added. Especially true of Blues. The chords change a lot to to include most everything as a "minor"....Em7 Am7 and Bm7 for the "E" scale. It just seems as though those chords lend for more expression and Blues is all about expression.

I read once that unlike a lot of guitarists, Eric Clapton does almost everything in Minor Pentatonic. But he knows those scales like the back of his hand and plays them as fast or faster than anyone! I believe it. That's sort of like what Keith Richards did with the open "G" tunings. He pretty much made a career of that setup!

Walsh isn't known for being as focused on one thing as Clapton and Richards. Though Joe has really found a notch with the talent he was inspired by Dwayne Allman to master (slide!) I think Joe may have a lot more classical training than most popular guitarists.

I hear Joe playing in the blues scale and minor pentatonic and maybe sometimes major pentatonic. A lot of rock and roll and blues is in one of those. I know the major pentatonic pretty well, I just like playing in the other two. It seemed to do alright when I was playing in my band. I think it works especially well for Eagles stuff. I'm into those.

I really don't see Joe doing much of the Technical all-theory based stuff (ala Satriani, etc). I see him more playing by emotion and feel. That's what I go for. I'm not into learning that much theory really. I'd rather just play by emotion (ala BB King) inside of those scales. That's what I'm in to. Not technical playing. That turns me off. What I like is just playing by feel inside of the blues and minor scales and not super technical theory based playing. It sounds like a machine is playing, there is no feeling or spontaneity and is predicatable.

I'm just not into theory. It's important to know your notes, chords, and some scales but I'm not into special scales or modes or reading music. And it's not like I don't like it becaue I can't learn it, I just choose not to. I'm selftaught, and I don't read music and I don't have desire to and never will. Most rock and roll guitarists from the 70s didn't read it either and most play/played by feel and just learned the scales and that's it. No technicality is my approach. Just a BB King way of doing things. It's what IMO Walsh does. Play by feel. I come from that school, and that's my approach. I don't dig strict theory guys.

I get into "small arguments" with some of my guitar friends about the fact I never did take lessons and I like being selftaught and play by EAR and FEEL and that I dislike lessons and like being selftaught It's all personal preference. I'm not a bad guitarist for playing the way and learning the way I do, and the technical guitarist isn't bad for doing it that way. I hate when people make it sound like a player who took lessons is always better than a player who is selftaught. It's not true. You can have a crappy player who took lessons and you can have an amazing player who is selftaught. It's all in personal preference.

I also hate it when people (I've met) who try to make it sound like that non-theory and non-technical players are not as good as theory based technical players. It's total bogus. It's all how you approach it. It's what makes us unique. I do great with what I do play and everyone seems to love it. I really don't care to learn much theory other than basic scales which I pretty much have learned. It's not where my roots are from. I can't stand to listen to much technical players that are just theory (Satriani, Petrucci, Gilbert, Vai, etc). They bore me. I want someone to just play some bluesy leads in a scale. I hate shredding with a passion or real fast stuff. It's like a squeaky chalkboard to me.

BB King once said "It's not about what you play, it's what you DON'T play". Meaning don't overplay and also give time in between "phrases". I'd rather hear 1 great meaningful note than 100 soulless one. I call it "fretboard wanking". I just dont dig that stuff. I'm very much a BB King type player.

I just have something against that technicality style. I've gotten into a lot of heated debates with guys about it. I am anti-lessons kinda guy for me. Besides now I really don't need them anyway, I'm past that point and can figure things out on my own by EAR.

Sorry, rant over. I just have strong feelings on this subject. Back to regularly scheduled programming. :)

MikeA
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Oh man....maybe you misunderstood my post. I did take lessons....for two weeks <LOL> HATED IT. The guy "teaching" me was about 90 years old and when I signed up with him, he asked what I wanted to play....my answer was folk music Peter, Paul & Mary style finger picking. "No Problem" says he. He then proceeded to give me exercises that were nothing more than hammering out notes written out in Staffs and Clefts. He had no intention of teaching "practical music". His ultimate goal was to turn me into an orchestral guitarists or something....all classical. It didn't take long to figure that out. After two weeks, I asked him when he'd start teaching "folk style". He said as soon as I could read music and play it without thought on a guitar. I didn't show up for the third lesson.

No, I was just emphasizing the importance of the scales. I'm primarily on the Minor Pentatonic (the Blues Scale after you add in the Vb). But have made excursions into the Major Pentatonic. I've been able to get just about everything I needed or wanted out of those scales. If I need more, I figure it out note by note.

My comment about Walsh having a classical background is founded. His mother worked in Opera, matching music to the Opera or play for which she was hired to produce. Joe picked up a lot from her, especially keyboards. But he also played in the high school band. He's made jokes about playing oboe but whatever he played there, he was getting the "traditional" training. He may or may not use it in what he plays with the Eagles or when composing his solo stuff. But if he uses that training, he doesn't neglect the Emotion. That is obvious.

I think that when some of that "theory" might come in handy is if and when you start coming up with "original" compositions. It wouldn't be "necessary" but might help when you get into that aspect of music. I'd love to be there, but have never felt I had the imagination to come up with anything more than improv over some pretty set chord progressions.

WalshFan88
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Oh man....maybe you misunderstood my post. I did take lessons....for two weeks <LOL> HATED IT. The guy "teaching" me was about 90 years old and when I signed up with him, he asked what I wanted to play....my answer was folk music Peter, Paul & Mary style finger picking. "No Problem" says he. He then proceeded to give me exercises that were nothing more than hammering out notes written out in Staffs and Clefts. He had no intention of teaching "practical music". His ultimate goal was to turn me into an orchestral guitarists or something....all classical. It didn't take long to figure that out. After two weeks, I asked him when he'd start teaching "folk style". He said as soon as I could read music and play it without thought on a guitar. I didn't show up for the third lesson.

No, I was just emphasizing the importance of the scales. I'm primarily on the Minor Pentatonic (the Blues Scale after you add in the Vb). But have made excursions into the Major Pentatonic. I've been able to get just about everything I needed or wanted out of those scales. If I need more, I figure it out note by note.

My comment about Walsh having a classical background is founded. His mother worked in Opera, matching music to the Opera or play for which she was hired to produce. Joe picked up a lot from her, especially keyboards. But he also played in the high school band. He's made jokes about playing oboe but whatever he played there, he was getting the "traditional" training. He may or may not use it in what he plays with the Eagles or when composing his solo stuff. But if he uses that training, he doesn't neglect the Emotion. That is obvious.

I think that when some of that "theory" might come in handy is if and when you start coming up with "original" compositions. It wouldn't be "necessary" but might help when you get into that aspect of music. I'd love to be there, but have never felt I had the imagination to come up with anything more than improv over some pretty set chord progressions.

No no, I wasn't directing that at you. I was just talking about my beliefs on the subject.

I know what you meant! It's cool! :) I do know the Major Pent... But I just play in the blues scale. And yeah, I have no plans to do original music, so theory is pretty much not my thing. I'm a cover/tribute guy. What I do best is playing other's licks and riffs to a T.

MikeA
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Ya think 12-bar blues is iconic for Muddy Waters, BB King, Led Belly, Robert Johnson? Well here's one that follows it almost to a "tee":

"Rock and Roll", Led Zeppelin, off of "IV".

Pull it up and listen to it....you can hear every chord change "I" "I" "I" "I" "IV" "IV" "I" "I" "V" "IV" "I" "IV"........

12-bar is used a LOT in Rock music structure!

WalshFan88
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Ya think 12-bar blues is iconic for Muddy Waters, BB King, Led Belly, Robert Johnson? Well here's one that follows it almost to a "tee":

"Rock and Roll", Led Zeppelin, off of "IV".

Pull it up and listen to it....you can hear every chord change "I" "I" "I" "I" "IV" "IV" "I" "I" "V" "IV" "I" "IV"........

12-bar is used a LOT in Rock music structure!

Rock and Roll by Zeppelin is one of my favorite song of theirs. "IV" is my favorite Zeppelin album.

MikeA
01-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Zoso is my favorite also.

WalshFan88
01-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Zoso is my favorite also.

They are in my favorite bands of all time. Here is my top 10 favorite bands.

The Eagles
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Guns n' Roses
Cream
James Gang

That's just bands, not individual artists but as you can see, Zep is high up on my list and influenced people below them on that list (especially Aerosmith and GNR).

MikeA
01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I really can't rank "bands" like that Austin. I like different groups for different reasons.

Certainly Eagles would be up there on top or very near the top.
Zeppelin would be there too for sure.
And the Beatles without doubt would be on the list.
As would be James Gang.
After that, it gets murkier.
Hendrix and his bands.
Joplin and Kosmic Blues maybe.
Cream simply because they were so talented....but they could have been so much better if they had left their egos outside the studios and stages.
I'd have to put Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young up there too.
I liked Heart a lot too.
And finally, I'd have to find a way to get Buddy Guy on the list.

Those would probably be my top picks. But it is hard for me to exclude "Who", "Stones", "GNR", "Three Dog Night" and "Aerosmith". I never got into "AC/DC" and "Metalica" and that type music.

WalshFan88
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I really can't rank "bands" like that Austin. I like different groups for different reasons.

Certainly Eagles would be up there on top or very near the top.
Zeppelin would be there too for sure.
And the Beatles without doubt would be on the list.
As would be James Gang.
After that, it gets murkier.
Hendrix and his bands.
Joplin and Kosmic Blues maybe.
Cream simply because they were so talented....but they could have been so much better if they had left their egos outside the studios and stages.
I'd have to put Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young up there too.
I liked Heart a lot too.
And finally, I'd have to find a way to get Buddy Guy on the list.

Those would probably be my top picks. But it is hard for me to exclude "Who", "Stones", "GNR", "Three Dog Night" and "Aerosmith". I never got into "AC/DC" and "Metalica" and that type music.

AC/DC to me isn't heavy metal. I'm not a big Metallica fan either, there are a couple songs but to me AC/DC is no heavier than Aerosmith. Just a hard rock band.

MikeA
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I have a lot of Aerosmith music, but I'm really not that wild about them. I guess my tastes are just weird. I liked the Doobies and Ozark Mountain Daredevils probably better than Aerosmith or AC/DC.

WalshFan88
01-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a lot of Aerosmith music, but I'm really not that wild about them. I guess my tastes are just weird. I liked the Doobies and Ozark Mountain Daredevils probably better than Aerosmith or AC/DC.

I pretty much grew up listening to 70s/80s rock. And that hard rock kinda stuff. I love hard rock, as long as its not metal or anything I'm ok. To me Aerosmith is the American "Zeppelin". And Guns and Roses is an american "Rolling Stones". Thats what they remind me of. AC/DC is kind of their own thing. But they got much better when they put out the Back in Black record. I personally didn't care much for Bon Scott's singing, the songs were good, but singing wise I much prefer Brian Johnson. But I definitely respect Scott and may he RIP. Back in Black is one of my "desert island" albums. If I had to pick 10 albums I could take with me if I was stranded but had a battery powered walkman or CD player or something, this is what I would take.

Hotel California - Eagles
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
IV - Led Zeppelin
Street Survivors - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith
Back in Black - AC/DC
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Look What I Did! - Joe Walsh
Rides Again - James Gang

Now the only Greatest Hits in there is the Joe Walsh album because the songs I like of his aren't all on one album, they are spread out among albums. But those are my "desert island with a battery powered CD player" albums.

Scarlet Sun
01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
OK

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/

We went into the studio and recorded the song that's there on Sunday and Monday. It's supposed to be the quirky B-side of a single, but we screwed up the tracking of the A-side which we'll have to re-cut . . .

sodascouts
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Cool - downloaded!

MikeA
01-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Same here....Astounding acoustic work and the vocals are dead solid perfect!

I really like that!

And tossing in that B-Bender was a cool touch too.

MikeA
01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
If anyone at all is interested in THEORY...and I think it benefits anyone trying to improvise or compose or understand how and why notes and chords fit together to make noise that sounds good...here is a link to a site that is very easy to understand and covers about everything you need to work on guitar.

http://www.folkblues.com/theory/

Prettymaid
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
How I admire songwriters and musicians! Out of nothing...something beautiful. Nice SS.

MikeA
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks Cathy.

My Wife, Verna, named it. She had to listen while I was working out the harmonies in it all the way from the bass part to the lead on top. Don't ask why "Black Licorice" became the name. She can't remember why she thought of it with that name either. It was just "Black Licorice".

Fine by me <LOL> I just regurgitate the stuff up, I don't name it. Prolly should be naming my guitars to, but they are still just Epi, Paul and Tele and Woodie (my Seagull S6 acoustic).

Scarlet Sun
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you everyone :)

Cool - downloaded!
Our first internet customer - and generous, too! Thank you so much, it's quite an ego boost . . . :band:

Same here....Astounding acoustic work

The studio we used (http://www.somastudios.com/) is right around the corner. It's relatively small, but excellent.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/DSCI0718.jpg

The desk they have is a Trident A-Range from the early 70's. Everything that comes out of it sounds like warm, crispy toast, just out of toaster. I think that helped the sound of the acoustics a lot

and the vocals are dead solid perfect!
Thanks, I appreciate that a lot. That's a difficult song to sing on account of all the jumping into and out of falsetto. It's hard to get through a live performance of it cleanly. I'm glad you think it's perfect, as I hear a few iffy syllables, but i'm sure you know how self-critical we can get. It's quite possible that it helped that I was wearing this shirt for good luck while I was recording it:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/DSCI0787.jpg

And tossing in that B-Bender was a cool touch too.

The B-bender is going to be a major part of our sound. We've written about 15 songs so far, and 9 of them feature it. We were fortunate enough to get one built and installed by Gene Parsons himself. Here's a pic of the guitar being used to record those parts:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/DSCI0764.jpg

It was all done on tape, too:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/DSCI0716.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/Desert%20Soap/DSCI0719.jpg

MikeA
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
That is one really RETRO setup! With everything being done digital these days, it is refreshing to see "real" technology at work! And with such good results!

MikeA
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Here's a little 8-barre jam I did with the ME-25 today. It's in "E". Just banging around trying to find notes that go with the progression.

http://mvabercrombie.net/EightBarreJam.mp3

WalshFan88
02-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's a little 8-barre jam I did with the ME-25 today. It's in "E". Just banging around trying to find notes that go with the progression.

http://mvabercrombie.net/EightBarreJam.mp3

Very cool Mike..

I'm going to be doing a video here soon.

MikeA
02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Be gentle with me on this one.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Midnight%20Special.mp3

I detuned to open "D" and recorded the vocals and guitar at the same time on different tracks and adjusted the levels afterwards. I came back later and added the accent notes.

The detuned guitar is my Tele from the Neck pickup with tremlo that I now wish that I'd left out. It gets kind of "busy".

The accent, I played with my Les Paul on the bridge without a lot of distortion.

No drums. I couldn't get a beat that satisfied me. Heck, I'm no drummer (to my discredit!)

http://mvabercrombie.net/Midnight%20Special.mp3

MikeA
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I was playing around with my LOOP on the Boss pedal this morning. Played a little progression in "G" and then "noodled" on top of it. You can do that with this pedal. Record the progression with the loop and get it so that it wraps around the way it should, and then you hit it again and it will record on that same loop the next layer....this time, my improvised "noodle".

I made it the sound byte in my signature. You can check it out here in my sig if you want to.

Remember, it's a "loop". If you save it and play it back with WinAmp or WMP and put it on "repeat" it will play forever <LOL> and it's pretty seamless in the wraparound.

After I created the two-layer loop, I just unplugged from the amp and plugged the pedal (while it was still playing the recorded loop) into my audio interface and turned on the recorder in "REAPER" and saved it as an MP3.

That pedal is a WONDERFUL practice tool.

WalshFan88
02-12-2011, 04:51 AM
I was playing around with my LOOP on the Boss pedal this morning. Played a little progression in "G" and then "noodled" on top of it. You can do that with this pedal. Record the progression with the loop and get it so that it wraps around the way it should, and then you hit it again and it will record on that same loop the next layer....this time, my improvised "noodle".

I made it the sound byte in my signature. You can check it out here in my sig if you want to.

Remember, it's a "loop". If you save it and play it back with WinAmp or WMP and put it on "repeat" it will play forever <LOL> and it's pretty seamless in the wraparound.

After I created the two-layer loop, I just unplugged from the amp and plugged the pedal (while it was still playing the recorded loop) into my audio interface and turned on the recorder in "REAPER" and saved it as an MP3.

That pedal is a WONDERFUL practice tool.

Very cool Mike!

WalshFan88
02-12-2011, 04:52 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=Explorer.mp4

Damn Photobucket cut 5 minutes off at the end. Oh well!

That is my Explorer I was telling you about a while back. Perfect for that 70s classic rock "crunch".

MikeA
02-12-2011, 09:12 AM
That Explorer of yours is a really cool looking and well used looking guitar. I do like the sound coming out of those Seymour Duncans. I always thought those guitars looked "uncomfortable" but it looked like you were having no issues with it. A lot of wood in it! Do you know what it weighs? Up in the 9lb area?

It fits Skynyrds sound doesn't it! Frey uses one, or used to use one on a couple of songs. Can't remember which ones right off the bat though.

WalshFan88
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
That Explorer of yours is a really cool looking and well used looking guitar. I do like the sound coming out of those Seymour Duncans. I always thought those guitars looked "uncomfortable" but it looked like you were having no issues with it. A lot of wood in it! Do you know what it weighs? Up in the 9lb area?

It fits Skynyrds sound doesn't it! Frey uses one, or used to use one on a couple of songs. Can't remember which ones right off the bat though.

It definitely weighs around 8-9lbs.

It definitely fits the Skynyrd sound. The Seymour Duncans I use in it are the ones the guy in Skynyrd uses now in his Explorer. '59 in the neck and Duncan Custom in the bridge.

Scarlet Sun
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
this is was shot by the B-bender/steel player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqNv4vJe5L4

i'll post something more interesting than this fairly soon, I promise

MikeA
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
You cannot imagine how much I'd love to be in a studio, start to finish, on a good song.

That just looks like a geeks HEAVEN!

Scarlet Sun
02-17-2011, 05:17 PM
You cannot imagine how much I'd love to be in a studio, start to finish, on a good song.

That just looks like a geeks HEAVEN!
It sure is!

Why don't you go into a studio then?

MikeA
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Hmmm, a thought! I never really thought about trying to get into one. I'll bet there are a number of them around Wichita.

It sure wouldn't hurt to do some checking to see if I have someone who knows someone who might consider allowing me in.

It would be a real challenge though. All those knobs and sliders and buttons! I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of them! And I'd drive the pros nuts.

I mean, I have some software and I have a sound board but nothing like a studio.

You may have just talked me into something that might take me away from the golf course some afternoon (s).

Scarlet Sun
02-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, a thought! I never really thought about trying to get into one. I'll bet there are a number of them around Wichita.

It sure wouldn't hurt to do some checking to see if I have someone who knows someone who might consider allowing me in.

It would be a real challenge though. All those knobs and sliders and buttons! I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of them! And I'd drive the pros nuts.

I mean, I have some software and I have a sound board but nothing like a studio.

You may have just talked me into something that might take me away from the golf course some afternoon (s).
Yes, go for it, have some fun!

Prettymaid
02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
That was great SS. I'm sure you guys had a blast in that recording studio!

sodascouts
02-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I think we non-musicians always feel a little awed when we see all that music equipment!

Scarlet Sun
02-18-2011, 04:10 PM
That was great SS. I'm sure you guys had a blast in that recording studio!
Yeah, it's groovy to live right around the corner from an excellent recording studio. We did have a blast on that day, but we were in there again for about 14 hours this past Saturday, and there were at least two moments of great fright. Hopefully, I will tell you about this in a week or so . . . :shock:

Prettymaid
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Okay, I'm all ears!

MikeA
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I think we non-musicians always feel a little awed when we see all that music equipment!

I don't think I'd describe my feelings for "all that music equipment" "awe". I'd describe it more as a terrible LUST! "They" have all that "stuff" there that I'd give crucial parts of my anatomy for!

Acoustically prepared room for vocals and instruments including DRUMS. Everything isolated. Microphones for every desire imaginable. Digital and Analog recording equipment to tweak perfection out of every note.

I'm trying to do that with freebie and $40 software along with audio hardware that I mortgaged my son for....couldn't mortgage my daughter since she has to take care of Miles....but I put her husband up as collateral!

WalshFan88
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think I'd describe my feelings for "all that music equipment" "awe". I'd describe it more as a terrible LUST! "They" have all that "stuff" there that I'd give crucial parts of my anatomy for!

+1 Mike but then again I am a musician, having played professionally for a few years and playing in other groups but I don't write my own music, but as I mentioned above I went into a studio once to lay down some lead on a good friend's blues track.

MikeA
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I think that if I had it all to do over Guys, I'd probably think more seriously about getting into Sound Engineering. Not being a musician myself, working with those who are would have been terribly gratifying and in the knowledge that you added something to their sound (hopefully they would have been good enough not to need much of anything added but clean audio signal).

Back when I'd have been doing it, it would have been with a razor blade and a mitre box for tape. I've done a lot of that with 1/4" 2-channel tape, but it's not quite the same as that 8-channel stuff in the old studios.

Oh well, it would have been a toss-up between that and Programming Computers and programming has been good to me if not kind.

Scarlet Sun
02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
it would have been with a razor blade
that's exactly what we had to use

WalshFan88
03-09-2011, 05:37 AM
I had to go work on my friend Ron's computer this weekend and so I had the chance to play his 1976 Gibson Hummingbird. Love that guitar. I took my laptop so I used my webcam and took a video. I recorded "Take It Easy" and sang it as well. It's a great sounding guitar. He's a great friend of mine. He says he will leave it to me in his will. He sounded halfway serious on that actually, but I won't hold my breath. He is about 67, and a really nice person. He has lots of guitars. He doesn't play much, but he's got a nice guitar collection. I love this Hummingbird, it's a great guitar. It nails that Eagles acoustic guitar tone too.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=tie.mp4

MikeA
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
It's definitely a Gibby and it definitely sounds great! I haven't been playing acoustic much here lately myself but did drag the Seagull out a couple of weeks ago (keep it in a hardshell case with those pads to soak out moisture.) I like the sound of an acoustic...especially played through my Acoustasonic with the amp mic'd....a touch of reverb and on some songs, chorus.

While out in Vegas, there was an act on the stage between Four-Queens and Fitzgerald's (we were staying at the Fitz) and they had a guy there up front who had a vocal range that just wouldn't stop and a dude on guitar (Strat) who really knew how to play it. They did killer version of ZZ-Top's "La Grange". I got home and figured out the boogie intro (a little run in Am). Even pounded out the rimshots on the drums. Still working on the lead and the rest of the chord progression.

MikeA
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
If you've already listened to this, clear your cache and refresh your browser and give it another listen. I sped it up and did a better percussion track and I think, did a better improv on the solo. I used the same procedure in recording it as before.

Here's one I recorded this morning. Inspired by Billy Gibon's "La Grange" boogie beat intro in "Am", I used it as a backing and added an improv solo then started playing around with my drum pads. I now wish that I had a bass to give it some bottom.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Bogiebeat.mp3

I did the guitar work using my looper on the ME-25 pedal. Started with a loop with the Am chord bass run and plucked accent notes. Then over that loop and still using the looper, I recorded the solo into the loop.

After that, I plugged the result recorded in the pedal into REAPER and recorded it. Finally, I added the drum beat playing over the guitar part in real time using my Yamaha drum pads.

sodascouts
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Austin, loved your video! What a beautiful guitar!

Mike, your clip is cute, too. Kind of jazzy.

03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I agree with Soda and enjoyed listening to these, Austin and Mike. And, I know that we rib you guys a lot about your guitar fetishes, but all kidding aside, that Gibson Hummingbird really is a gorgeous guitar. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree with Soda and enjoyed listening to these, Austin and Mike. And, I know that we rib you guys a lot about your guitar fetishes, but all kidding aside, that Gibson Hummingbird really is a gorgeous guitar. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

And yes - the Hummingbird is a great guitar... I would love to own it, hopefully I will someday as I'm real close friends with the guy that owns it and he seems serious about passing it down to me in the future and leaving it in his will. I don't know if that will happen but it would be great. It's a great guitar and sounds great too!

WalshFan88
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Great clip Mike!!!! Sounds very good!

MikeA
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I really did like pretty much everything about the bird Austin. Were I looking for a "new" Gibby acoustic, it would be a tossup between a Hummingbird and one of their Jumbo guitars.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/jeyUBvuLQ-ZnaP9WTKF4KQgnV-1v3p5ZvwFQMEfKN0p0HK0RYrEAmpuM7TRHJs7niA5Bejl4Hgbu Uk82xC2MGJUBf3botVxJJNmwK65cwMEcbFs1AVXwtTD_YdMmG5 v28uvgJe2QAOurdRM_8Fw3NqF778nn5SmV_G70g0AwnNs-lNVcKpWKx7o

I've played several different Jumbos and like their tone. But they are a bit awkward to handle sitting down because of their shape and size.

That little Boogie was more an exercise in percussion than guitar. The guitar part was just straight Am vamped on the "A" string with a little "walk" up to and back from the "D" string and then plucking the "D" and "G" strings in the "Am" chord. Nothing to that. Just setting the rhythm.

The other guitar part was just playing in Am up and down the scale. I really need to work on smooth hammer-ons and pull-offs. Build up speed. I've never had trouble with chords.

But the drums....I played around with that quite a bit changing from heads to cymbals to brushes to sticks. I settled on lite cymbals and a kick on the count.

I need to learn more about percussion. It adds so much to any recording. In the past, I've either ripped a sequence out of some song that has a strong drum part in it and altered the tempo to suit my needs, or else found something in the library on my Drum Machine that I could cop. But I'm wanting to be able to come up with something on my own to really fit whatever it is I need it for without having to search for hours looking for something.

WalshFan88
03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
I really did like pretty much everything about the bird Austin. Were I looking for a "new" Gibby acoustic, it would be a tossup between a Hummingbird and one of their Jumbo guitars.

After playing both Mike - I can say I much prefer the 'Bird. BUT I am a big "Small Body" acoustic fan of the cutaway guitars or the Square Shoulders guitars. I'm not a big fan of Jumbo "Dreadnought" acoustics. But it goes back to the deal with my Taylor, I want a Bright, Jangly acoustic sound and one that's perfect "Mid-to-Top", meaning the range of sound.

I don't care for much bass or deep sounds in an acoustic, but I'm not a folk/bluegrass/country fan either, I'm a rock n' roll kinda guy. The first thing I play when I want to see if an acoustic is for me or not is to play the opening chord to the Beatles "Hard Days Night" and if it nails that jangling bright sound with little-to-no bass, then it's an acoustic for me. Jumbos have a real deep warm sound. I like the more Eagles brighter acoustic sound. Glenn has said he likes an acoustic with a lot of midrange and top end. That's what I go for.

But it's all opinion of course. The J200 I played, played real nice, and sounded good, but had too much bass and bottom end for me. Hummingbirds are more midrangey and have a more janglier sound but still have a pinch of warmth. Just like my Taylor 414ce. I'm very picky about Martins too - they have that bass and low end deep sound I'm not real crazy about. I haven't found the Martin for me yet. I'd also like to try the Glenn Frey signature Takamine, it's supposed to be a great brighter acoustic. I think it'd be good for me I think.

But play them both if you ever decide to get one. But generally speaking the Jumbo is darker, deeper, and really warm and the 'Bird is brighter and janglier with a bit of warmth too it so it isn't too shrill. The 'Bird cuts through better.

MikeA
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Yep, everything you said Austin. That's why I DO like the Jumbo body. Aside from being shaped completely different than a Dreadnought, they are much larger in total volume. They have a "roomier" sound and they have the warmth that I do like. But they are built more to accentuate the midrange than either the bass or treble. They are great for chording and that extra volume does give the bass lick some attitude and it is probably at the expense of the upper end.

No accounting for tastes. Maybe if I played more acoustic, I'd change my tune and go for brighter guitars.

WalshFan88
03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Yep, everything you said Austin. That's why I DO like the Jumbo body. Aside from being shaped completely different than a Dreadnought, they are much larger in total volume. They have a "roomier" sound and they have the warmth that I do like. But they are built more to accentuate the midrange than either the bass or treble. They are great for chording and that extra volume does give the bass lick some attitude and it is probably at the expense of the upper end.

No accounting for tastes. Maybe if I played more acoustic, I'd change my tune and go for brighter guitars.

Yeah the volume thing is definitely true with jumbo's but I plug most of my guitars in through a PA when I'm gigging anyways (via onboard electronics or soundhole pickup) - and that's where it needs to cut through. I find the brighter guitars do tend to cut through better. I'm going to be posting a link to the Gearhead thread of a YouTube video where it talks about the Glenn Frey signature Takamine. Very cool. It gives a sound demo and overview.

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Here is a 2 part video I did for another forum. Someone on the LP forum was bash talking PRS's calling them "lifeless" compared to a Gibson Les Paul and so I shot these videos to prove that isn't true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf70QWik_XU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vka5yJectAk

MikeA
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I've only had time to listen to the "CLEAN" video Austin.

PRS "lifeless"?????? Oh my! I think I may be hearing a Gibson Snob speaking out! That Custom 24 is anything but "lifeless".

I like the both and wouldn't want to have to choose between them but could find little fault with either.

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
I've only had time to listen to the "CLEAN" video Austin.

PRS "lifeless"?????? Oh my! I think I may be hearing a Gibson Snob speaking out! That Custom 24 is anything but "lifeless".

I like the both and wouldn't want to have to choose between them but could find little fault with either.

Amen.

MikeA
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
BTW....I love the sound from that PRS myself. And it is definitely a beauty. Real piece of Eye-Candy. I'd love to get my hands on one for a day or to (or a lifetime!) Now, would I kick a '59 LP out of bed? Hell No. But the chances of me getting a vintage '59 are between Zero and Minus-1.

But I would like to get a solid body (not chambered) LP. I'd be perfectly with a chunk of Studio...Wine finish. But I'd want a PRS Cust 24 FIRST.

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
BTW....I love the sound from that PRS myself. And it is definitely a beauty. Real piece of Eye-Candy. I'd love to get my hands on one for a day or to (or a lifetime!) Now, would I kick a '59 LP out of bed? Hell No. But the chances of me getting a vintage '59 are between Zero and Minus-1.

But I would like to get a solid body (not chambered) LP. I'd be perfectly with a chunk of Studio...Wine finish. But I'd want a PRS Cust 24 FIRST.

Amen again LOL. The 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Sunburst is my dream guitar and my favorite model of guitar of all time. I would love to own one but don't have the near half a mil for one. But that PRS is a killer guitar!

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePWtS_SU0zE

MikeA
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I've listened to part of this Austin and man, I just gotta love that combination of guitar/pups/effects/amp. It DRIPS GOOEY GOBS of WARMTH.

I'm snowed at work today so will try to get back to it tonight.

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I've listened to part of this Austin and man, I just gotta love that combination of guitar/pups/effects/amp. It DRIPS GOOEY GOBS of WARMTH.

I'm snowed at work today so will try to get back to it tonight.

I know!!! And people on the LP forum said PRS guitars are 'lifeless'. :rolleyes: That's not what I hear, quite the contrary! Talk about Gibson snobbery! :D

I love that pedal. All analog and vintage "tube" sounding overdrive. And the amp is just amazing. Can't go wrong with a vintage style Fender amplifier. So versatile!

MikeA
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
People really tend to get really Defensive about the equipment they've purchased...especially when it comes back to them that just Possibly, there was something better for the money available!

Heck, I even do that myself every once in a while. :blush:

But if people could just listen with open Minds and open Ears, they just might bring themselves to admit that PRS is QUALITY right now compared with most other equipment out there. At least I think it is!

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
People really tend to get really Defensive about the equipment they've purchased...especially when it comes back to them that just Possibly, there was something better for the money available!

Heck, I even do that myself every once in a while. :blush:

But if people could just listen with open Minds and open Ears, they just might bring themselves to admit that PRS is QUALITY right now compared with most other equipment out there. At least I think it is!

Definitely Mike. Gibson's quality control is very poor right now, especially in their production line. Their custom shop is a bit better but nothing like it used to be.

Fender and PRS are in the lead right now for production guitars.

Scarlet Sun
03-29-2011, 01:40 AM
We finally have what's supposed to be the "A" side of our single:

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/track/live-til-you-die

The 128k bit rate has caused some distortion in the intro, but the real (lossless) version does not have this rumble. In any case, this one was quite a struggle to record, be we did it. During the re-recording of this song, at least three of us inadvertently and unintentionally threw in some brief instrumental nods to the Eagles! As Eagles fans, you might be able to pick some of them out.

We also re-mastered the "B" side to make it sound more 70's-mellow, with some digital(ugh) echo chamber thrown on as well:

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/track/thinking-about-the-girl-i-love-2

MikeA
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Here's a bit of a riff I'd like to do something with. It was stuck in my head and I couldn't remember where I'd heard something like it. It came from "The Confessor". Oh, not the note for note thing, but the "mood" of it.

The ending chord progression started out as something that you'll find in "Bitter Creek" except I didn't use double drop-D....just dropped the low E string to D.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Riff.mp3

sodascouts
03-31-2011, 11:02 PM
We finally have what's supposed to be the "A" side of our single:

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/track/live-til-you-die

The 128k bit rate has caused some distortion in the intro, but the real (lossless) version does not have this rumble. In any case, this one was quite a struggle to record, be we did it. During the re-recording of this song, at least three of us inadvertently and unintentionally threw in some brief instrumental nods to the Eagles! As Eagles fans, you might be able to pick some of them out.

We also re-mastered the "B" side to make it sound more 70's-mellow, with some digital(ugh) echo chamber thrown on as well:

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/track/thinking-about-the-girl-i-love-2

Love these, especially the guitar parts. You guys are really talented.

MikeA
04-01-2011, 07:29 AM
SS,

Those are BOTH really good. I particularly liked "Live Till You Die". I can visualize that B-Bender in action throughout the entire song. Bend and Release. And the harmonies were really cool too.

I don't know why it made me think of it but back when I was around Twenty, maybe a bit younger, I had a pretty good vocal range especially in the Tenor area. But I had to really work to keep from breaking into Falsetto. I can't even come close any more to that, but if I'd known back then what the Bee Gees and others were going to do vocally, I'd have worked on improving that instead of trying to eliminate it!

I have a GREAT monotone vocal now.

Scarlet Sun
04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys, your compliments and feedback are valuable and very much appreciated.:grooving:

I basically sing falsetto all the time, nowadays I rarely ever even try to use the upper part of my true range. Maybe that's not a good thing, but if does fit our "soft rock" style.

Next Thursday we are going to LA to play a show and for some LA/desert photos/filming. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of fun:yay:

Prettymaid
04-08-2011, 08:11 AM
SS, you guys have a lot of talent! Love the harmonies on 'Live' and great guitar work on both. Very pretty.

WalshFan88
04-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Rebecca in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnrolZ-q_k

MikeA
04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
love the sound man! A lot of options with the coil tap on both pups.

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
WF, I'd like to request In The City on your new guitar. I think it would sound great!

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Will do!!! I just bought a Doubleneck like Felders tonight too so watch o
ut for that!

WalshFan88
04-15-2011, 04:27 AM
WF, I'd like to request In The City on your new guitar. I think it would sound great!

Ask and you shall receive! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KPOHCDYhM

Prettymaid
04-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Thank you Austin. :yay: That sounded great!

You should sing more often when you're demo-ing. ;-)

WalshFan88
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you Austin. :yay: That sounded great!

You should sing more often when you're demo-ing. ;-)

Hehe!!! I'll try! :D

WalshFan88
04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I've been busy making videos this weekend. I kind of got in a rut for awhile but I'm coming back out of it and playing a lot!

Here's a Tele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yD7SM5cCQE

Here's a Strat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13joikmmqiw

Scarlet Sun
05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
From time to time i've been chattering about a film we're making. I've just put together a little "trailer" that illustrates what it's supposed to be like. The clips in it were all shot on my run-of-the-mill camera - none of it is the 16mm, 8mm, or HD digital video that we've shot, although some of these may make the final cut. The soundtrack is taken from a rejected take of a song we recorded for Daytrotter (harmonies are pretty bad). I intended to use the better take, but I accidentally used this one and kept it in because it fit the video so well and it's not that big a deal right now anyway . . . :

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1995628447834&oid=345314511473&comments

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 01:53 AM
A couple recent videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0XW1nACZLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxoWB8WSZgg

MikeA
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I think maybe you got some sort of typo in your URLs for the vids Austin. Either that or I have a Flash problem. They are non-functional on my machine.

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I think maybe you got some sort of typo in your URLs for the vids Austin. Either that or I have a Flash problem. They are non-functional on my machine.

They play fine for me on this page..hmmmmm.

MikeA
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Must have been something on YouTube causing problems becasue they are working for me also now. I'll give them a listen today. Appreciate you posting them. Anxious to listen to that double-neck.

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Must have been something on YouTube causing problems becasue they are working for me also now. I'll give them a listen today. Appreciate you posting them. Anxious to listen to that double-neck.

Good deal! :)

The Doubleneck is great but it took me awhile to get used to the "layout" and everything. The 335 DOT just got back from the repair shop after getting a new nut and fret level/recrown and a setup. I think it sounds better now.

MikeA
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Love the 12-string Austin!

MikeA
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Sure wish that I had my recording computer operational. I have this chord progression stuck in my head and have been working out some improv over it and it's sounding pretty good to me.

Really dark minor progression: Am Dm Em with some diminished chords tossed in. The improv stuff is done mostly using the third scale pattern in Am which puts it up on the 9th thru 12th frets mostly. Slow tremlo on the chords but other than that, it's a pretty clean setting.

It's that kind of really moody music that I like to listen to while following bugs in a program and I'm thinking dark thoughts about the idiot who wrote the code originally....probably was ME! <LOL>

While I can loop the progression on my Boss pedal and then play over it, I can only get 48 seconds looped. And with no way to record it (no drivers for the interface on my notebook and not enough memory, diskspace or power to be a recording engine anyway!) I can't embelish it...can't extend it. Driving me NUTS!

05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
From time to time i've been chattering about a film we're making. I've just put together a little "trailer" that illustrates what it's supposed to be like. The clips in it were all shot on my run-of-the-mill camera - none of it is the 16mm, 8mm, or HD digital video that we've shot, although some of these may make the final cut. The soundtrack is taken from a rejected take of a song we recorded for Daytrotter (harmonies are pretty bad). I intended to use the better take, but I accidentally used this one and kept it in because it fit the video so well and it's not that big a deal right now anyway . . . :

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1995628447834&oid=345314511473&comments

Wow SS - I am impressed. The backdrop in the video is very reminiscent of the photos from the band's Eagles album. I like the song a lot. Forgive me if you already said this, but is that you or you band performing the song?

And Austin, I took a peek at your videos too. I wish I had more time to view it all right now, but life keeps getting in the way of my Border time. I got a feeling I could learn a thing or two from you. :wink:

Scarlet Sun
05-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Love the 12-string Austin!
Yeah, it's sweet. Do you have a Casino or 330?

Scarlet Sun
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow SS - I am impressed. The backdrop in the video is very reminiscent of the photos from the band's Eagles album. I like the song a lot. Forgive me if you already said this, but is that you or you band performing the song?
Thanks. Yes, bands going to the desert in general and Joshua Tree National Monument (now Park) in particular and shooting photos, etc. is a tradition that goes back to, if i'm not mistaken, the Flying Burrito Brothers and their first album. Plenty of groups have done it (U2 being another famous example), and are still doing it. Of course, the Eagles' photo session is the one that influenced me the most! Yes, that is my band performing the song. As I stated earlier, I accidentally used a version of one of our songs that had poorly sung harmonies on it, but once it was on there, I saw that it fit the images so nicely in terms of timing that I was afraid to replace it. It's just a mock-up of a trailer anyway, so . . .

MikeA
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
SS,

Austin and I both have 335 knockoffs (semi hollow-body). Austin's is a "Dot" by Epiphone and mine is a Sheraton II also by Epiphone. Mine is stock but I think Austin has lit a fire under the pickups in his...or hmmm, seems like he bought it already hot rodded.

Scarlet Sun
05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
SS,

Austin and I both have 335 knockoffs (semi hollow-body). Austin's is a "Dot" by Epiphone and mine is a Sheraton II also by Epiphone. Mine is stock but I think Austin has lit a fire under the pickups in his...or hmmm, seems like he bought it already hot rodded.
I also have a Sheraton II which I never use. I really want to get into the whole full-hollowbody bag - Casino for guitar, Hofner for bass. They're just so nice and light and easy to handle, especially onstage.

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 11:28 PM
SS,

Indeed Mike. When I bought it, it had been changed to the Seymour Duncans - which is what I would have put in it anyway. :lol: It's the '59 and JB... The bridge is pretty hot, and the neck is very smooth/bluesy. If I had got it stock I probably would have got the Seth Lover models just because I don't have those. Those are the only Duncans I don't have. But I'm not complaining and not changing them. They sound good. The neck pickup set clean through my Twin Reverb is THE blues sound! It reminds me of BB King, although his Lucille had no F-Holes and had the Varitone rotary switch.

Thanks SS!

MikeA
05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
I thought long and hard about a Casino SS. What finally swung me over to the Sheraton II was the weight. I know, Casino is much lighter, but the Sheraton was my first electric guitar and I wanted the sustain. Oh the weight issue, I was afraid that the Casino would be head heavy. I've had acoustics like that and it was a pain keeping the guitar "balanced" on my shoulder while doing longer sets.

Not complaining. I think I made the "right" choice for me personally, but I would like to get a good thin hollow body. I'd probably look for a Casino or one of the Carvins or PRS guitars. I'm sort of on a rampage for a PRS but they are WAY outside my budget. Gotta say though that I have had some pretty explicitly erotic dreams about one!

Scarlet Sun
05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not really a big gearhead, I just tend to let myself be influenced by my favorite musicians and I get interested in what instruments they played. At some point, practicality takes over, hahaha. John, Paul, and George all played the Casino, and James Griffin of Bread played a 330. Paul played the Hofner bass, and David Gates of Bread played the Hofner Super Beatle bass.

I don't really need a Casino right now because the only electric we use presently is the B-bender. I'd like to get a Turquoise one when I do get one. I playing a borrowed Hofner Icon right now for bass, and it's just SO easy to play. Significantly easier than my Rickenbacker, which is a great bass. The Icon, however, is still really just a toy, so i'd want to get a real one, a Deluxe or blueburst if possible . . . :pray:

WalshFan88
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not really a big gearhead, I just tend to let myself be influenced by my favorite musicians and I get interested in what instruments they played. At some point, practicality takes over, hahaha. John, Paul, and George all played the Casino, and James Griffin of Bread played a 330. Paul played the Hofner bass, and David Gates of Bread played the Hofner Super Beatle bass.

I don't really need a Casino right now because the only electric we use presently is the B-bender. I'd like to get a Turquoise one when I do get one. I playing a borrowed Hofner Icon right now for bass, and it's just SO easy to play. Significantly easier than my Rickenbacker, which is a great bass. The Icon, however, is still really just a toy, so i'd want to get a real one, a Deluxe or blueburst if possible . . . :pray:

I'm a huge gearhead, but I also try to keep it under control (and that's easy to do when you don't have a lot of money! :lol:). I have 25 guitars. My main and only amp right now is a Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue, perfect for getting that Joe Walsh tones. I bought it back when I was gigging in the Eagles tribute playing Joe's parts. Also can pull off the Felder type tone as well. My biggest gearhead obsession though is analog pedals, mainly boutique recreations of vintage gear. There are a LOT of guys now making ANALOG (no digital crap) vintage style pedals. I love to run those through my Twin clean. My main pedal is a Paisley Drive by Wampler and I run it through the Twin and it pulls off a great Joe-tone. I try to get matching guitars of his and things by my other influences and inspirations.

Scarlet Sun
05-08-2011, 12:56 AM
I like to nail my favorite tones too - i'm a glad i'm mostly a bass player, it's cheaper! The Twin Reverb is actually my favorite amp for recording bass

WalshFan88
05-08-2011, 01:47 AM
I like to nail my favorite tones too - i'm a glad i'm mostly a bass player, it's cheaper! The Twin Reverb is actually my favorite amp for recording bass

Very cool! I have one bass too - a Fender Jazz Bass. I'm a Jazz Bass guy although I have nothing against Fender Precision Basses. I love the sounds of both but for me, the Jazz is the most comfortable for me and IMO more versatile. But I'm not a "bass player" and it's not my fulltime gig or anything but I have one around for recording, jamming, etc. But when I do play bass, I love the J Basses but I wouldn't mind adding a P Bass to my collection. Both are good.

whitcap
05-08-2011, 02:51 AM

Very cool SS. I really like the song :)

Scarlet Sun
05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Very cool SS. I really like the song :)
Thanks! Austin, P- and J-basses are grat, but for some reason i've never felt the need to own one.

05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks. Yes, bands going to the desert in general and Joshua Tree National Monument (now Park) in particular and shooting photos, etc. is a tradition that goes back to, if i'm not mistaken, the Flying Burrito Brothers and their first album. Plenty of groups have done it (U2 being another famous example), and are still doing it. Of course, the Eagles' photo session is the one that influenced me the most! Yes, that is my band performing the song. As I stated earlier, I accidentally used a version of one of our songs that had poorly sung harmonies on it, but once it was on there, I saw that it fit the images so nicely in terms of timing that I was afraid to replace it. It's just a mock-up of a trailer anyway, so . . .

Thanks SS. So those photos were taken at Joshua Tree then. I thought they were, but didn't know for sure - NICE! As I said, I thought your band sounds very good. Do you all have a website for the band?

MikeA
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
SS,

I really like the song. And the mood of it. Very well done.

sodascouts
05-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Cool, SS. Nice work!

Scarlet Sun
05-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks SS. So those photos were taken at Joshua Tree then. I thought they were, but didn't know for sure - NICE! As I said, I thought your band sounds very good. Do you all have a website for the band?
No separate website yet, but the two songs we recorded in a studio are here:

desertsoap.bandcamp.com (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/desertsoap.bandcamp.com)

I don't really dig MySpace, so I don't update our page, but there are a few more demos there:

www.myspace.com/desertsoap (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/www.myspace.com/desertsoap)

you may have already looked through the Facebook

www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Soap/345314511473 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Soap/345314511473)

Thank you Mike and Soda. That song is the next one I hope to record in a real studio. The "better" version we did for Daytrotter isn't actually a whole lot better

WalshFan88
05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Austin, P- and J-basses are grat, but for some reason i've never felt the need to own one.

What kind of bass do you play? I'm a Jazz Bass guy at heart but I've been looking at Precision Bass's heavily this week. I've been playing a lot of bass, trying to match my bass skills to that of my guitar skills! :D I have a small Fender Bassman I play my bass through. It's the practice amp version. I'd like to get a Fender Rumble at some point.

Scarlet Sun
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
What kind of bass do you play? I'm a Jazz Bass guy at heart but I've been looking at Precision Bass's heavily this week. I've been playing a lot of bass, trying to match my bass skills to that of my guitar skills! :D I have a small Fender Bassman I play my bass through. It's the practice amp version. I'd like to get a Fender Rumble at some point.
I've used a Rickenbacker for a long time but right now i'm using a borrowed Hofner Icon which is just so light and easy to play. However, it's still more or less a toy, so i'm hoping to get a real one - a Deluxe or '63 500/1 (in blueburst!). For live show I use a Vox T-60, which is just fine. I would love to get a blackface Bassman

05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
No separate website yet, but the two songs we recorded in a studio are here:

desertsoap.bandcamp.com (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/desertsoap.bandcamp.com)

I don't really dig MySpace, so I don't update our page, but there are a few more demos there:

www.myspace.com/desertsoap (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/www.myspace.com/desertsoap)

you may have already looked through the Facebook

www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Soap/345314511473 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Soap/345314511473)

Thank you Mike and Soda. That song is the next one I hope to record in a real studio. The "better" version we did for Daytrotter isn't actually a whole lot better

Thanks again, SS. I wish your band well. But, I just wanted to let you know that your links in this post aren't working for me. I don't know if it's just me or is anyone else having this problem?

Scarlet Sun
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks again, SS. I wish your band well. But, I just wanted to let you know that your links in this post aren't working for me. I don't know if it's just me or is anyone else having this problem?

I entered them very sloppily, sorry. These should work:

http://desertsoap.bandcamp.com/

http://www.myspace.com/desertsoap

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Soap/345314511473?ref=ts