PDA

View Full Version : World Weary Don Henley

sodascouts
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I was listening to "A Month of Sundays" just now and I thought how well Don pulls off the persona of a world-weary grandfather. It's hard to believe he wrote and performed that song when he was in his thirties.

Can anybody think of any other songs where you think he sounds world-weary and older than one would think? Another one that comes to mind for me is "The Last Resort."

Freypower
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
You're asking for songs where he SOUNDS older rather than using the persona of an older person? To me he always sings in that world weary manner but a couple which stand out:

You're Not Drinking Enough
The End Of The Innocence
Learn To Be Still
Long Road Out Of Eden

Ive always been a dreamer
11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I kinda agree with Freypower that this is often Don's style. I guess the most obvious for me is Desperado.

Maleah
11-14-2010, 02:05 AM
I would definitely agree that this often seems to be his style. If I were to have to pick the first one that came to mind when I read your post Soda, I'd probably have to say it was actually Learn To Be Still, as FP said. The most obvious after thinking about it for a moment though would be The Last Resort, as you mentioned in your previous resort. Especially because he was so much younger when it was originally done. In parts Waiting In The Weeds would be that way as well, except he is old enough now to really be the world weary grandfather. lol

Freypower
11-14-2010, 06:59 PM
I would perhaps add Workin' It & Long Way Home to this list.