PDA

View Full Version : This is so sad

timfan
02-04-2007, 08:09 PM
When I read this I was shocked. I just had to share it :(

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070204/baby_cold_070204/20070204?hub=TopStories

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow, that's awful. :(

Freypower
02-04-2007, 10:26 PM
That sort of thing happens in Australia from time to time.

I was shocked earlier to read of a stabbing in my own quiet Sydney suburb (it was in the early hours of the morning and probably followed a dispute at the local pub, although the paper's website said it happened on the railway foot bridge). :?

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow, that's pretty scary.

glenneaglesfan
02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I feel sorry for those young mothers who are so desperate they abandon their newborn babies, but -29 degrees...

Julie, that's awful about the stabbing so close to your home.

Perfect Little Sister
02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
In California we have safe surrender sites. These buildings have a placard in the window identifing them. People in this unfortunate situation can drop off a child there, no questions asked. (Or so they say.)

Glennsallnighter
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
We have had a very sad tragedy in Ireland. No-one known to me personally, but some of you may have heard that the bodies of an entire young family of 4 were found in their home in Co Wexford yesterday morning. 2 Adults and 2 girls aged 3 and 5. What is more worrying is the facts which have emerged over the last day or so. It appears to have been a suicide pact by the parents who actually made funeral arrangements for the whole family last Friday. When they did so, the undertaker alerted the Authorities, who did try, but unfortunately couldn't stop the tragedy.

Molly
04-24-2007, 07:32 PM
It appears to have been a suicide pact by the parents who actually made funeral arrangements for the whole family last Friday. When they did so, the undertaker alerted the Authorities, who did try, but unfortunately couldn't stop the tragedy.

How terrible. I feel for the family left behind. Suicide, leaves so many "would of/should of's" for the people who loved them. To include their children in their pact is an incredibly selfish act. How tragic that know one could have seen the signs ahead of time and gotten the parents the help they needed. Their family is in my thoughts.

sodascouts
04-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Wow. Suicide is bad enough, but killing innocent children? How horrific.

Smacks of a cult or something like that to me.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-24-2007, 09:43 PM
This really is very sad. It really does make you "wonder at the powers that be" when things like this happen. It's inexplicable to me.

Freypower
04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
There was a case last week here of two teenage girls who were into 'emo' music & MySpace, who hanged themselves from the same tree. :?

I had a suicide in my family several years ago, which I still find hard to deal with.

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2007, 07:51 AM
How tragic that know one could have seen the signs ahead of time and gotten the parents the help they needed. Their family is in my thoughts.

From what I'm hearing from media reports there was serious concern for the family, and the authorities did try to help the family, but firstly, that it was planned to happen over a weekend made it harder to access help and secondly, I'm not familiar with the guidelines for putting children into a safer situation than the one they're in but sadly, they didn't fit into any criteria (apparently). And in cases where kids have been removed from what was seen to be a dangerous situation which then proved not to be, there have been major repercussions. A priest spoke to the parents for 2 full hours on Friday night according to reports. Maybe he felt that the danger had been averted by that stage. Reports say the mother and 2 children were smothered in their living room and then the father hanged himself in the front hallway. Its a terrible story and everyone but particularly parents across the country have been very upset. Needless to say we are all praying for their entire family and themselves. I suppose if there's anything to be learned on a personal basis from the tragedy its to look out more for people particularly if one feels they are under some sort of pressure.

As I say I'm not a reporter, I'm only going on what I've heard, but if one person has read this who later makes a difference to someone elses life then its worth it.

Molly
04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in a similar situation as Freypower in that someone in my family committed suicide 5 years ago.

It wasn't until the suicide happened, and we all got together and told what we each knew individually, and put the puzzle pieces together, that we could see the signs of what might have been in the plans. This person had contact with most of us before he died, and many people reached out and tried to help. He was very convincing in his assurances to us that all was well, and he even told a detailed and excited story of his "future plans" for a new job, going back to school, etc.

I'm sure those who had contact with the parents in the days leading up to the tragedy were given similar convincing and optomistic stories.

sodascouts
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm so sorry about your losses. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to deal with such a personal tragedy.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
We have had a very sad tragedy in Ireland. No-one known to me personally, but some of you may have heard that the bodies of an entire young family of 4 were found in their home in Co Wexford yesterday morning. 2 Adults and 2 girls aged 3 and 5. What is more worrying is the facts which have emerged over the last day or so. It appears to have been a suicide pact by the parents who actually made funeral arrangements for the whole family last Friday. When they did so, the undertaker alerted the Authorities, who did try, but unfortunately couldn't stop the tragedy.

Can you believe it. The same thing has happened again, only 13 miles from last years tragedy. This time a family of 4. Looks like the father shot the mother on Friday night. Then he doused the house with petrol, set fire to the place and then shot himself. At least these are the details that are emerging. Apparently they were a very popular family. The kids were a boy aged 6 and a girl aged 5

My sympathies rest with the extended family and friends of all the people involved. They are in everyones prayers over here.

glenneaglesfan
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Oh, GA, that is so sad. Who knows what drives anyone to such lengths. We've had a tragedy at the boys' school - last week one of their schoolmates went home and hung himself. Nothing you can say can make it better.

On this subject, I've been saddened by the death of Mark Speight. My boys used to love his programmes.

sodascouts
05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
How tragic GA. And I'm sorry to hear of the death of Speight as well.

Glennsallnighter
05-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Oh GEF that is such a terrible thing for a young person to do. And you are so right. There is nothing we can say that can make it better. So many young people feel so vulnerable. All we can do is support them as best we can.

Looks like the husband/father in the recent Irish tragedy had been suffering from depression. Again, virtually no support from the powers that be :roll: .

I'm sorry too to hear of the death of Mark Speight. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Mrs Henley
07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
OMG..that's awful :(

Last year a father killed his two children, he parked his car at a railroad and waited till the train came..he died and also his kids :(

I can't get it why people would kill innocent children and other people..:(

Brooke
07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I know. It's hard to figure out what is going through some people's minds at times.

Mrs Henley
07-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Indeed.