PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Don

timfan
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I found a fan's account of meeting Don ( along with pictures :D ) from 1996! Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/missholly81/meet.htm

sodascouts
02-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Aw, what a cute story that is! Thanks for posting it, timfan.

This might be a cool thread to share other "Meeting Don" stories! I actually immortalized mine on this site. ;) See link below:

Nancy meets Don! (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/siteinfo/meetdon.htm)

Maleah
02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Soda I giggled so much when I read your "encounter." "laugh: And the reason I laughed so hard is I just KNOW that if I met Don...........one of the two exact things that you mentioned will happen. Either I would rattle on and on at 100 mph like an idiot................or I would clam up and barely say hi. I'm betting on the last one ;) :laugh: Although I would love to make a good impression :? LOL

sodascouts
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
lol! I'm just lucky Don was gracious and didn't act like he thought I was an idiot, lol.

Maleah
02-06-2007, 12:33 AM
lol! I'm just lucky Don was gracious and didn't act like he thought I was an idiot, lol.

lol! I wouldn't be so lucky!!! :laugh:

DonFan
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Here's my Don story: I was lucky enough to meet Don in Sep 2005, when he gave his lecture on conservation at Caddo Lake at the University of North Texas outside Dallas.

That whole trip just fell into my lap. I am a freelance writer and most of the time I am only sent on travel assignments within driving distance. However, one of my new editors actually paid to fly me to Texas for an interview, and when I realized Don was speaking at the university the very next day, I decided to stay an extra day so I could hear him. The opportunity literally came out of nowhere--I couldn't believe my luck. :shock:

So, I found the campus and located the hall where Don was speaking and I found a good seat near the front of the auditorium. He walked in with all the college professors, wearing a dark suit and tie, very businesslike. He turned out to be a wonderful public speaker. Even though I read almost everything I could get my hands on about Caddo Lake and his other environmental efforts before that trip, I discovered that I always learn something new from him. He played a video at the beginning that showed how picturesque Caddo Lake really is, and he managed to breathe life into even the part of the speech that he said was filled with "boring acronyms." He said he felt funny being up there all alone because he was used to being onstage with a group of people. He also said he had to work with a lot of people in his conservation efforts but that he knew all about collaborating because "I'm in a band." :wink: He waived his reading glasses around during the whole speech but never actually put them on, which I thought was funny (especially since that I have to wear reading glasses now too). He said Dallas had had a storm the night before that knocked the power out at his house, and he had to finish writing his speech at midnight in the dark. I am always writing things at the last minute too, so I could sympathize.

Then, they announced that he would be staying afterwards for autographs. He looked very handsome in his dark suit, and when he loosened his tie for the autograph session, he looked even better. I had brought along my Heaven is Under Our Feet book just in case he stayed for autographs, so I was very happy he did. People in front of me had Hotel California albums, solo CDs, books, ticket stubs, you name it for him to sign. There was quite a long line, about 100 people I guess, and I was really nervous as I was waiting, trying to think I something intelligent to say.

When I actually got up there, he was very chatty & personable, although when he first focused those blue eyes on me, every thought I had in my head flew right out the window for a moment. Finally I found my tongue and told him that I was a writer on assignment and that I had driven through Linden (his home town) and by Caddo Lake on my way back from my interview the day before, and that I thought it was very beautiful, and I appreciated his work there. I handed him my book and spelled my name for him, and he flipped through the pages for a moment, trying to decide where to sign. Then he signed it and said "It is so nice to meet a fellow journalist." I have never been happier to be a writer than at that moment. Then I went around the table to get my picture made with him. Some of the people made him stand up for their pictures, but I just got on my knees beside his chair at the table and he put his arm around me and they took the picture. (I'll have to see if I can post that picture here. I have this ridiculously big grin on my face :blush: , and although he had been smiling at me when we were talking, he has his standard solemn expression in the picture.)

Then I had to leave and let the next person come up. He was so gracious to smile and pose with everyone who waited in line. One funny note--two young college girls in line in front of me got their picture made together with him, standing on either side of him, and right when they snapped the picture, they both turned their heads and kissed him on the cheek! He laughed and said, "That'll cost you extra!" :D

After I left, all I could think was, I want him to do another solo tour so he can do another meet & greet and I can talk to him again!

glenneaglesfan
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Those are great accounts, DF and Soda. Don sounds like a charming man to meet.

(DF, I'm with you on the reading glasses!)

Brooke
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
After I left, all I could think was, I want him to do another solo tour so he can do another meet & greet and I can talk to him again!

Great story, DonFan!

I think you would really like to kiss him like those girls did! :wink: I would! :xoxo: :heybaby:

DonFan
02-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Great story, DonFan!

I think you would really like to kiss him like those girls did! :wink: :xoxo: :heybaby:

Uh........YES. 8)

Maleah
02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I can't believe they did that! I would have been too shy! But I'd have been THINKING "gosh I wish I was brave enough to do that" ;) His response was cute too :)

Brooke
02-13-2007, 03:54 PM
I got to meet Don September 19, 2004. He was performing in my son's college town which is 4 1/2 hours from me. My husband was working out of town and the concert was on a Sunday night, so he wasn't able to go. I went and stayed with our son. He wasn't able to go either, so I went by myself. I sprung for the VIP and it was worth every penny to get to meet Don. I called my husband right before I left for the show and told him that if Don asked me, I would probably fly away with him and not be back!! :lol: I actually thought I might cry I was so excited about actually meeting 'that man with that voice' that I had listened to and loved since I was 16!

There were about 20 in the VIP group that evening. We were shown into a large room where drinks and snacks were laid out on a table. I happened to win a t-shirt and a zip hoodie, which I had Don autograph. After a few minutes Don entered the room and I remember thinking...."THAT'S Don Henley? He's not very big! He just looks like an ordinary average guy!" And I kept telling myself "calm down, don't cry!" Everyone got in a line and the I Love All Access gal told us that Don would sign stuff for you and you could have your picture taken with him. I was about half way down the line, so I just stared at him the whole time and kept pinching myself so I would believe it was really happening and tried to think of something intellegent to say. When it was finally my turn I know my face must have been beet red and I was just scared to death. He asked my name and how to spell it as he was signing the cds and album that I had brought. I asked him what happened to that guy on the back of the Eagles first album (with his afro hair) and he said that "he was still here only he didn't have as much hair!" We laughed and I told him that HOTM was my favorite song and he said that lots of peoples told him that. I told him how much I loved his music and to please keep touring (there had been rumors floating that he had been sick) and he said that "he was tired of it and just wanted to eat breakfast with his kids in the morning." This all lasted maybe 4-5 minutes (it went way too fast). Then it was time for me to move on and I told him thanks so much for the wonderful music all these years and we posed for our picture (and it was heavenly having his arm around me!) and it was over.

Then we went to the concert (which was fantastic) and that was one of the most memorable nights of my life! :D

Here's our pic. He has his usual sheepish smirk on!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/MeDon.jpg

sodascouts
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
I just got caught up reading these stories - thanks for sharing them. I love the fact that Don does these meet'n'greets for his fans, and stays after events like Caddo Lake. He must know the thrill it gives us!

timfan
02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Brooke that's wonderful! It's so great that Don meets with his fans :D I'm sure its a day you'll remember forever :)

DonFan
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I actually thought I might cry I was so excited about actually meeting 'that man with that voice' that I had listened to and loved since I was 16!

I know EXACTLY how you feel, Brooke. That is a great picture of the two of you, too!

glenneaglesfan
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Brooke, that is a lovely picture of you and Don, and thank you so much for sharing your story! What a wonderful evening for you! 8) I see he's wearing his favourite F1 shirt there - I like it!

Freypower
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
All these stories about meeting members of the Eagles are a lot of fun. :)

EasyFeeling
02-14-2007, 05:22 AM
What a cute photo, Brooke. That's great you got to meet Don. :)

Brooke
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone!

Finally got around to taking a picture of my Don Hoodie!

Sorry if these are big. I don't know how to make them smaller! I'm rather 'puter challenged! :roll:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/IMG_0091.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/IMG_0087.jpg

Don stood right there before my very eyes and signed it! I was deliriously happy!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Oh my - how exciting these stories are, ladies. Thanks for sharing them with us. I know exactly what you all are talking about with the nervousness and excitement that you feel when meeting one of our guys. It is truly something that you will always cherish. I had to laugh at those college girls kissing him on the cheek - ain't it wonderful to be so young and brave. :D

I would love to see a Don solo show. I had considered going to Aspen this past fall, but the airline tickets were outrageous at the time. Hopefully, I'll get another chance. If so, I'm definately doing the ILAA package if there is a meet and greet. :wink:

Brooke - love your picture and the hoodie.

DonFan
03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I had to laugh at those college girls kissing him on the cheek - ain't it wonderful to be so young and brave. :D

You know what I have decided, dreamer? To throw caution to the wind the next time I get to do a m&G with Don and kiss him on the cheek too. Those young girls have nothing on me--I am OLD and fearless! :D

sodascouts
03-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Love the hoodie! Thanks for posting!

And hey, Dana, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? When else are you gonna get to have your lips against Don Henley's skin?

:pimp:

Brooke
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
You know what I have decided, dreamer? To throw caution to the wind the next time I get to do a m&G with Don and kiss him on the cheek too. Those young girls have nothing on me--I am OLD and fearless! :D

Me, too, DonFan! What the heck! :twisted:

glenneaglesfan
03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I bet he'd quite enjoy that! :wink:

The hoodie is brilliant, Brooke. That must have been so exciting when he signed it. How did he manage to have a pen that could write on fabric?

Brooke
03-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I bet he'd quite enjoy that! :wink:

The hoodie is brilliant, Brooke. That must have been so exciting when he signed it. How did he manage to have a pen that could write on fabric?

The ILAA gal provided him with all sorts of pens for signing just about anything! They were very prepared! :D

timfan
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
The ILAA gal provided him with all sorts of pens for signing just about anything! They were very prepared! :D

ILAA obviously knows how to please both their stars and their patrons! :D :D

And Brooke that Hoodie is FABULOUS... I assume it's never been washed hehehe :wink:

Brooke
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM

ILAA obviously knows how to please both their stars and their patrons! :D :D

And Brooke that Hoodie is FABULOUS... I assume it's never been washed hehehe :wink:

Of course not! I'm keeping every germ of Don's I can get! :lol:

03-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Me, too, DonFan! What the heck! :twisted:

I say go for it girls! We can't let those young girls have nothing on us! :wink:

This reminds me of mine, Soda's, and PLS' recent experiences at Pebble Beach when we got our kiss on the cheek. (Oh hell, who am I kidding - everything reminds me of Pebble Beach)! But anyway - since I was the last one to get mine, I had a few moments to prepare. I remember thinking to myself that if Glenn could kiss my cheek, then darnit, I could kiss his. So when my turn came, I planted one on him, as I put my hand on the back of his neck. However, I don't think I would have ever had enough nerve to do it if he hadn't started it. But that was then - I'm braver now! :D :D :D

sodascouts
03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Yep, keep rubbing it in, Dreamer. I still can't believe it didn't even occur to me to kiss Glenn back. What's wrong with me?!

Maleah
03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
:laugh: you guys are too funny :D I'll admit it, I'd never be brave enough :blush: lol

03-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Yep, keep rubbing it in, Dreamer. I still can't believe it didn't even occur to me to kiss Glenn back. What's wrong with me?!

Sorry to rub it in Soda - BUT - you have to admit, it wasn't exactly your best moment! :D

Maleah
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
LOL!!!! Ouch! :D But hey.....Soda.......at least you HAD a moment ;)

sodascouts
03-08-2007, 12:50 AM
LOL!!!! Ouch! :D But hey.....Soda.......at least you HAD a moment ;)

True - but I'd never have the guts to kiss one of our guys on the cheek. I'll be terribly jealous of all of you who get up the nerve to plant one on Don!

Maleah
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Soda...I wouldn't be able to TALK let alone give him a kiss on the cheek :laugh:

EasyFeeling
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Ladies, what's wrong with you? Mind you, this would be YOUR (maybe first and last) chance to kiss one of the guys. And you say you are too shy? :shock:

Signed: EF, the most courageous woman on earth. :twisted:

Freypower
03-08-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't think I would be able to speak, let alone do something like that. I would be too concerned about not making a fool of myself. That was why during my shows I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. I couldn't even smile. All I did that was positive was applaud Joe for which I got the famous nod.

Maleah
03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
That would be exactly what I would be worried about FP! Not making a fool out of myself! Because I'm the type of person that if I say or do something really stupid, I beat myself up over it FOREVER! :laugh: I still remember meeting one of my favorite singers when I was in my teens and I said something stupid and I STILL feel like an idiot over it!

Maleah
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I forgot to say that I did get a kiss on the cheek from him though ;) :D

03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I honestly was worried that when I met Glenn at Pebble Beach that words would not come out of my mouth. I was a little nervous at first, but I did manage to speak. And there was no way I was going to pass on the cheek kiss when he started it. So like I said before - now I'm braver. So, that's okay - you shy girls just step aside. I guess DonFan, Brooke, and I will just have to be the ones to give Don a kiss. :D :twisted:

DonFan
03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
:D :D
Just as long as you know, the line forms behind ME. 8)

03-09-2007, 11:57 PM
:D :D
Just as long as you know, the line forms behind ME. 8)

Unless I can run faster! :P :wink:

Houston Debutante
11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I know this thread is really old but I was reading a newer thread called Meet and Greets where it was linked to. I hope it's allright to reply after all this time but I can't contain myself, I have to say it!

OMG I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he'll do something like this again?