PDA

View Full Version : Slow Dancing

sodascouts
11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I was just listening to Slow Dancing off of The Confessor and thinking that Joe's voice sounds entirely different in it. It's lower and sexier, especially for the verses. I can't think of any other songs where he sounds like that, but maybe I'm just forgetting some. Can anyone else think of songs were Joe sings in a lower, sexier voice than usual?

Freypower
11-21-2010, 12:52 AM
I like Slow Dancing a lot. I would also nominate The Confessor, a huge favourite of mine - particularly the lines 'you can only judge the distance by the company you keep/in the eyes of the confessor'.

Bubbles is a bit lower than his usual register, and perhaps you could also include Dear John & Indian Summer. It's interesting that with the exception of the last named all these songs are from The Confessor.

jdubfan
11-21-2010, 01:24 AM
There are a few from the album Confessor that are lower.I think that song is probly my all-time favorite. I'd also include 15 Yrs and Good Man. The lowest I can think of would be No Peace in the Jungle, Coming Down or maybe Coyote Love, but he sounds a bit trashed on that. Sexiest to me are his entire catalog :shy: especially I'll Tell the World About You or Tend My Garden for lyric content, not necessarily his pitch.

MikeA
11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Never really thought about the register Joe's voice spans other than on songs he hits notes that I can no longer hit. But I do agree with y'all who really like "Confessor".

I wonder what he was going through when he came up with the lyrics to that one. Really turns one "introspective".

I've read reviews on that song that really put Joe down for the "stupid" lyrics. I have never thought them at all meaningless. Maybe a bit uncomfortable to listen to but even if you "don't get it" the song itself I thought was a masterpiece.

Joe played it in one of the Live Chats he did and also played it either at the House of Blues with the James Gang or at Hard Rock with Stone Temple Pilot...can't remember which. Probably the Hard Rock but I seem to recall it from Mandalay Bay. Hmmmmm...Charisse was there. Might ask her.

ticky
11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I think "Ill tell the World About You" and "15 Years" are probably about the same pitch as "Slow Dancing" and two of the sexiest songs. There's really nothing sexy about "15 years" per say, but when he says "Can you turn my guitar up a little bit?" I get chills *G* If I were to make a sexy Joe song compilation CD it would definitely include "Slow Dancing", "15 Years", "I'll Tell The World", "Tend My Garden" and "Good Man Down", for both pitch and content, respectively.

sodascouts
11-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Hmm - this gives me an idea for a new thread!

jdubfan
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
There's really nothing sexy about "15 years" per say, but when he says "Can you turn my guitar up a little bit?" I get chills *G* .

uh HUH~yeah Yeah YEAH!

jdubfan
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I wonder what he was going through when he came up with the lyrics to that one. Really turns one "introspective".

I've read reviews on that song that really put Joe down for the "stupid" lyrics. I have never thought them at all meaningless. Maybe a bit uncomfortable to listen to but even if you "don't get it" the song itself I thought was a masterpiece.

If you look at your reflection in the bottom of a well
What you see is only on the surface
If you try to see the meaning hidden underneath,
the measure of the depth can be deceiving.
The bottom has a rocky reputation.
You can feel it in the distance, the deeper down you stare
From up above it's hard to see, but you know it'when you're there.
On the bottom words are shallow, on the surface talk is cheap.
You can only judge the distance by the company you keep
In the eyes of the Confessor

I've never understood the diss this song got, but I've never understood the diss Joe's gotten over the years either, so go figure...
These lyrics have always really affected me very personally. This album came to me in a time in my life when I really needed it. I can also say that for others from Joe, that's my greatest connection over the years. For those who have hit bottom, this is a pretty accurate description. I dunno if he tried rehab before the 90s, but I'm thinking he was considering it during this time.

Freypower
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Those are brilliant lyrics. I also like the venom in his voice when he gets to the 'you can't hide... DON'T you even try'!' part. I think we've all been there & had to confront our own demons in that way from time to time.

sodascouts
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I agree. I think that verse in particular is one of his most brilliant lyrical achievements - a very sophisticated and well-wrought extended metaphor. I can't believe some people say those lyrics are stupid! That shows ignorance on their part.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-22-2010, 01:03 AM
I would agree that a lot of the songs on The Confessor album seem to be sung in a lower register than what Joe normally uses.

And with all due respect, anyone who thinks these words are stupid ...

"On the bottom words are shallow, on the surface talk is cheap.
You can only judge the distance by the company you keep."

... is ... err ... well - just stupid. :lol:

MikeA
11-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, you gotta understand the standard that the "stupid" devotees must have been holding Joe's lyrics up to:

"I ordered a beer and spilled it"
"I got in my truck and drove real FAST"
"I lost control and hit an hit a cow"

Now THEM'S some lyrics! They don't rhyme real good but they are HEAVY Man!

Up against those lyrics,
"On the bottom words are shallow, on the surface talk is cheap.
You can only judge the distance by the company you keep." sounds purty goude. I mean whas that mean anyway?

TimothyBFan
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess I didn't realize that he had been criticized for those lyrics. I've always thought them to be very moving and telling. The Confessor has always been one of my favorite Joe songs and I have often wondered exactly what was going on in his life at the time it was written. I agree it seems to be about confronting your demons.

MikeA
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Actually, I think the "reviewer" was reviewing the entire album and slamming Joe more for his condition than anything else. He was in pretty bad shape physically and I think most folks had sort of written Joe off. His record sales weren't setting any records (that was BAD).

That got me looking things up and I stumbled across this interesting fact about Wichita:

In October 1932 orchestra leader Gage Brewer introduced the electric guitar to the world from Wichita using an instrument developed by what would later become known as the Rickenbacker Guitar Company!

George Beauchamp, (from whom Brewer purchased the instrument) the maker of the guitar, ultimately became the co-founder of Rickenbacker. The Wichita reference is just one of an early public demonstration of the guitar in Wichita.

I found that while looking for information on the house Joe donated to charity here in Wichita:

Walsh has been a contributor to such causes as halfway houses for displaced adult women in Wichita, Kansas.

That house, or at least one house in Wichita, was Joe's Grandmother's home that had been left to him after the passing of his Grandmother. I hope I recalled that correctly.