PDA

View Full Version : John Mellencamp

jdubfan
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1433/5177552466_f0acc46e53.jpg

Here's a pic I took of my fellow Hoosier at the Morris Civic Auditorium from last week. My big bro, whom reminded me of Joe way back when, took me to see him. Was worried 'cause JM's evolved into a more folksy, acoustic type style after working w/T Bone Burnett, instead of the 80s rocker of the past. I needn't of worried, he still kicks a$$. Very good concert. Great to see another of my long-time favorites aging gracefully.

http://southbendtribune.com/article/20101115/News01/101119701/1130

TimothyBFan
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Deb-was this the first time you have seen him? He is an amazing performer isn't he!?!? I've seen him several times. Glad you enjoyed him. Any more pictures?

My whole family are huge Mellencamp fans (except my son who him & his friends have had not so nice experiences with him in restaurants in Bloomington-apparently he takes his stardom a little to far and thinks he deserves better treatment & tables in front of the normal paying patrons). My brother is his biggest stalker dating back to the 80s when he hung out in bars Mellencamp frequented in Seymour.

jdubfan
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I've seen him many times, one of my fav singer/songwriters. First time was 1980 under a tent out in a field on IU campus, after a Lil 500. Don't remember much I'm afraid... except this cute, cocky lil fella running around the stage like a wild man. He put on a helluva live show back in the 80s. I actually got a m&g w/him about 10 yrs ago, and he seemed nice, kinda shy. I was so nervous I burst out in tears, he put his arm on my shoulder and put his forehead against mine (like Joe did :)) and whispered "It's alright sis). Too bad about the diva thing, but you never know, he calls himself lil bass turd, tho.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5198112605_03bd7fde73_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5198706250_0b678066fd_m.jpg

Brooke
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I love John, too. I saw him a few years ago in Kansas City and would love to see him again. He was in St. Louis earlier this month, but the date just didn't work for me. You people that get to see all these concerts multiple times make me so jealous.

My favorites from him are Pink Houses, Hurts So Good, Small Town, and R.O.C.K. in the USA.

TimothyBFan
11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the other pics Deb. He does age well!!

The first time I saw him was probably '85 or '86. It was at the State Fairgrounds and Henry Lee Summer (another Hoosier) was his opener. Anyone remember Henry? I Wish I Had A Girl was the hit I remember from him.

My brother has also said he seems really nice when he's met him. I know the other night after the concert, my friend Sue met him outside the Morris and he posed for a pic with her and everything. Unfortunately tho, I've also heard from more than one source that he can be a real lil bass turd also. He frequents a certain restaurant in Bloomington and the wait staff runs the other way from what I hear. And we have a friend who's father has worked in the recording studio with him and said he freakin' spits on the floor and drops his cigarettes on the floor instead of using an ashtray. Gross! Oh well, doesn't diminish his talent. He sings about my life and I can really relate to his music here in my small town.

He is very generous tho, he has given mega amounts of $$ to IU. Very cool!

Prettymaid
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I saw John back in 83, 84,...can't remember the year but he did a great job. I remember some idiots sitting close to the stage were throwing spitballs or something at him while he was trying to sing Little Pink Houses, and he stopped, looked at them and said, "You're f**king up my song." I was so embarrassed for my town. :blush:

Brooke
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Henry Lee Summer (another Hoosier) was his opener. Anyone remember Henry? I Wish I Had A Girl was the hit I remember from him.

OMG! I had to download that song for my hubby last winter because he just loved it! He remembered it from way back. I didn't! I found the video on YouTube, too. Hilarious! Then of course, I had to google him and find out all about him! Looks like he's had a rough row to hoe the past few years, but he was still touring around Indiana some.

:hilarious:

Prettymaid
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I loved that song! Love it when someone reminds me of a song I really liked. Thanks Willie!

TimothyBFan
06-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Newest rumor is that John and Meg Ryan have set a July wedding date.

http://fwix.com/bloomington/share/227fe1cc31/john_mellencamp_to_wed_meg_ryan_in_july_report_say s

I was reading the Mellencamp fan forum and rumor is also that he has rented the whole downstairs of a restaurant in Bloomington for some time in July. Hmmm... time will tell.

sodascouts
06-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Hope 4th time's the charm for Mellencamp - he's catching up with Joe! lol

Brooke
06-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow, shocker! I didn't know he and Elaine had split. After 18 years! Too bad! I think she's so beautiful. :-(

I love Meg Ryan too though!

luvthelighthouse
06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
lol, i'm watching that right now too!

I just went back in this thread and see there is an article linked to him and Meg... I'm watching Celebrity Breakups and they just talked about this!

Brooke
09-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Got this in a newsletter from JM today.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

FAN FALL TOUR PHOTOGRAPHERS WANTED
The Mellencamp.com Fan Community Blog is looking for Mellencamp fans with semi pro or pro cameras and photography skills that have tickets to John's Fall 2011 No Better Than This tour. If you fit this description, would you like the chance to shoot John and the band at your show for the Fan Blog? The only official way to take pictures at a Mellencamp concert with high quality equipment is to have a photo pass. Our past fan photographers have given us some great photos for all Mellencamp fans to enjoy! Check them out in the Community Blog

If you are interested, click HERE, and we will provide you more information which will explain the entire photo pass program and rules.

Now wouldn't it be cool if the Eagles would do that?

Ive always been a dreamer
09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
That would be pretty cool all right! :thumbsup:

Windeagle
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I saw him on the Scarecrow tour, with a then-little-known Canadian rocker named Bryan Adams opening for him. Fun show!

I also went to a show on the Pink Houses tour, where my college roommate noticed that Mellencamp actually looked a lot like my then-boyfriend. I had never noticed until she mentioned it but, yeah, he kinda did.

TimothyBFan
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but we watched the MusiCares Tribute to Neil Young last night. Amazing stuff from so many artist I know we have threads for here. Thought I'd post the videos. I just ordered the dvd from Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbncFwwv_2A

jdubfan
10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
thx tbf, I like that cover, may have to check into this dvd someday. Nice to see John with Kenny Aronoff again. Kenny was JMs drummer for many years. NICE!