PDA

View Full Version : Eagles In Sydney, Australia, 30/11 & 2/12 -6-7/12/10

Freypower
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
(NB: there are 3 dates at the Entertainment Centre but I have only listed the ones I am attending. The dates are written in 'Australian' English with the day & then the month).

I know this forum is normally for when shows are announced but I thought I would start a separate thread from the 'Eagles in Australia' one just to emphasise it.

What shows are you going to? Wanna express your pre-concert excitement? Here's the place!

For a start, because it has been six years, I am very nervous about it. It has been so long that I can't remember what it's like. I have read all the reviews by other Borderers and envied them without actuallly envisaging myself in this position once more.

I want to take the camera & turn the flash off but I don't want to get into trouble. I am worried about that. More than anything else though I am nervous about being front row centre even though this is precisely where I want to be (at Acer Arena I am front row Joe's side, then second row Joe's side). In the unlikely event I receive any recognition the first night, will I be embarrassed the second night if it happens again? Do I try & look like I'm enjoying myself or just stare dumbly with my mouth open? The fact is I am terrified of doing the wrong thing. This will be THE LAST TIME, I think.

I am already prepared for the fact that musically and from a personal viewpoint these shows may not be as satisfying as the 2004 shows were. While I expect to enjoy the new songs which I haven't seen, there will still be some what I consider inexplicable omissions while songs I have already seen often enough are persisted with. I don't want to feel that way because I think it's wrong. I really want to avoid being disappointed.

The other thing is it is a big deal for me that this tour is being attended only by me as a representative of this board & I don't want to let you all down. I know that for most people Australia is a dot on a map & doesn't register in their consciousness, but I can tell you that it is important for us to have the band here & I hope we give them the reception they deserve. If the newspaper reviews are not positive, I hope you don't take that as a general reflection of audience response.

The waiting is the hardest part. Now it's nearly over.

Prettymaid
11-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Aw Julie, I feel for you! That's the most vulnerable post I've ever read from you. I can't help you with the camera dilemma. I never take a camera, mostly because I don't want to be bothered. But I love benefitting from those who do.

I've never thought about being recognized by the band two nights in a row because I've never had the pleasure of attending that often, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Remember, you are exactly who they enjoy playing for - a true fan who knows and enjoys their music. I would think they would think it was great to see someone two nights in a row. Oh and by the way, staring dumbly with your mouth open is perfectly acceptable, but at some point you probably should look like you're enjoying yourself! :hilarious: (That was so cute.)

You've mentioned before your fear of being disappointed by not hearing as many new songs as you would like. I think you feel exactly the opposite of most concertgoers. People usually want to hear the ones they know well - the ones they've heard on the radio for years and grown up with. You pretty much know what the set list is going to be. You know songs have been dropped that you wanted to hear. Just don't overthink it too much. Get caught up in the music and just enjoy.

I am thrilled for you that the Eagles are finally coming back to Australia. As a huge fan you will appreciate them more than most. Don't worry about disappointing us. Just remember every single detail and report back ASAP!

Koala
11-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Julie, I know how excited you are,to see the Eagles after 6 long years, finally, again!
Enjoy it!
I'm really happy for you, that you able to see / hear so many concerts!
Can’t wait to hear EVERYTHING!

GlennLover
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Julie, don't worry about a thing. Just ENJOY YOURSELF!

sodascouts
11-26-2010, 02:18 AM
I want to take the camera & turn the flash off but I don't want to get into trouble. I am worried about that. Bring it with you but if you don't feel comfortable using it, leave it alone. Don't stress yourself out trying to get photos when you should be enjoying the show.

More than anything else though I am nervous about being front row centre even though this is precisely where I want to be (at Acer Arena I am front row Joe's side, then second row Joe's side). In the unlikely event I receive any recognition the first night, will I be embarrassed the second night if it happens again? Do I try & look like I'm enjoying myself or just stare dumbly with my mouth open? The fact is I am terrified of doing the wrong thing. This will be THE LAST TIME, I think. I understand how it can cause anxiety when you know you're so visible to the band and specifically your hero, but if you are obviously enjoying yourself, they will certainly appreciate it. So let yourself get into the music that you love and let it show on your face and all will be well!

The other thing is it is a big deal for me that this tour is being attended only by me as a representative of this board & I don't want to let you all down.Have fun and share a bit of your joy with us, and we'll be satisfied.

I am so excited for you!

Glennsallnighter
11-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Julie! I know how much you are hyping yourself up to this and that it is a VERY big deal for you. However I too would advise you to just get out there and have the time of your life. Enjoy the music and do what you feel is right on the night wrt taking pictures. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, and all the better if you DO get some recognition from Glenn :heart:.

And since WHEN have we ever taken the word of the newspapers over our own true Borderers. I know it will be brilliant!

:partytime::partytime::partytime:ROCK ON JULIE!! :partytime::partytime::partytime:

TimothyBFan
11-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I will reiterate what everyone else has told you----Just enjoy yourself. The guys will love that and appreciate it more than anything else.

While we all here will appreciate any pictures you take and share and a review, we want you to have a fun time more than anything else.

Last but not least....

If the newspaper reviews are not positive, I hope you don't take that as a general reflection of audience response.:shock: You actually have wondered about that?!? Like we give a crap what the newspaper reviewers have to say! Yes it makes us angry but we all know that most those reviewers haven't a clue what it's like to be a true Eagles fan. If you tell us it's great, I KNOW it's great!

Now start counting down, wondering what you will wear and ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Freypower
11-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I will take the advice of all of you.

I know what some of the merchandise will look like as I got an email from the official store; I'm getting the tote bag free as part of the VIP package. I will also get a notebook, pen & LROOE, each night. So spares will be available to anyone who is interested.

http://clicks1.musictoday.com/cts/click?q=1;112040;IUsw6FLWmKSOgFuIRQroKA%3D%3D

I have a POT T shirt I intend to wear on Tuesday night because it's fairly distinctive but on the other nights I will probably wear Eagles T shirts. The one advertising the Nokia shows in 2007 - I doubt there will be anyone else wearing that one.

I wonder if they have arrived yet?

tequila girl
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Ooooh, I'm getting all excited for you! :partytime: :hilarious:

jdubfan
11-26-2010, 09:04 PM
One of the highlights of my concert-going life was my "Summer of 2008 Stalking Tour" as my friends/family called it. I got to see the guys 3 times in about 4 weeks. One show was 5th row by Joe, and I got some real feedback from him. Then, a week later I was 2nd row right in front of him. Somebody at my m&g had told me that they do remember people. I don't know, but Joe seems to. At that show he started a couple notes to the opening of Walk Away and before I knew it, I was up and screaming YEAH!! and he walked over to the edge of the stage with his frowny-jammin' face and played right to ME. It was totally outstanding...I remember being totally freaked out and trying to take it all in at the same time.
One slight problem was a drunk chick who'd paid big$$ for front row. She was all dressed to the nines, screaming at Joe to get his attention. She didn't appreciate me. It didn't matter, I was estatic!! Nobody could have brought me down at that moment. I'll never forget it, I'm guessing you won't either. Just ENJOY this once in a lifetime oppurtunity. :thumbsup: It's gonna be great fun and work out perfectly.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Julie - I'm very excited for you as well. It's now our turn to live vicariously through you. If the guys aren't already there in Australia, I would assume that they're on their way very soon.

I agree with everyone else - just try to relax and enjoy every moment of the show. I don't believe there is any way that you'll be disappointed with the view that you have.

I know you are shy about such stuff - but if you want to get any of their attention, you can always wave or blow them a little kiss when you catch their eye. Of course, at the Sacramento show in 2005, I was a bit more overt - I kept pointing sharply at Glenn during RMW - he noticed and laughed at me. But hey, I didn't care if he laughed as long as he noticed. :lol:

Freypower
11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
To jdub: You will be happy to know that I haven't yet recovered from Joe nodding at me to thank me for the round of applause I gave him after his solo in NKIT at my second row show in 2004. That was so sweet - he didn't have to do that & I've never forgotten it. I will try it again next week (although sadly it won't be during NKIT, I will find something equally wonderful that he plays, I'm sure).

Dreamer: You POINTED at Mr Frey?! Good grief!:partytime:

jdubfan
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Very happy to know, isn't it fun!? :thumbsup:

My favorite moment of many in the current setlist is LROOE, that song and solo totally rocks live. Very powerful stuff. Have a blast!

11-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Dreamer: You POINTED at Mr Frey?! Good grief!:partytime:

Oh heck yeah, Julie! And that's not all. I figured he wouldn't be surprised over a little flirting. Heck, I'm sure that I was hardly memorable compared to when they have the girls flashing them and throwing lingerie at them. Here's my review if you want to read about my bold and shameless attempt to get Glenn's attention that night:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2465

I must say though, when I was confronted with him one-on-one at Pebble Beach, I wasn't nearly as bold. In fact, I was just hoping I would be able to get the words to come out of my mouth. :grin:

sodascouts
11-27-2010, 02:13 AM
It's true they will remember folks in the front many times, but don't let that freak you out. You might get some kind of acknowledgement; you might not. Don't read too much into it. They will not think that you are weird because you go to see them a few times in a row. They've seen their share of "repeat customers" over the years (ahem). They will NOT be judging you (unless, of course, you stand up during slow songs. ;) ) Seriously, though, you are the kind of person they love to play for: the appreciative hardcore fan. Don't worry about looking foolish. Remember that I have made a fool of myself in front of Glenn Frey on more than one occasion - to put it mildly - but he has been kind to me regardless. Dedication trumps dorkitude!

Brooke
11-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Julie, I'm so excited for you! I have to agree with what everyone has already told you. Just enjoy the shows and do what comes natural. Take the camera, but if you're not comfortable taking pictures, forget it. You will have your memories. And maybe the next nights might present better opportunities. But as you said, this may be your last time to see them, so at all costs, take it all in so you don't miss a thing.

And if you are right there in front and enjoying yourself they will appreciate that you are a true fan and remember you.

Can't wait to hear all about it! :thumbsup:

EaglesFanatic
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm really excited for you FP! Just remember to have a good time, and just enjoy yourself :nod: Can't wait to hear your reviews after the concerts!

Freypower
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks all. Now that it's tomorrow night, I guess we'll see how we go...

Glennsallnighter
11-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Have a wonderful time Julie and I LOVE your new Sig!

Oh and blow Glenn :heart: a kiss from me!

TimothyBFan
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I never can remember but isn't it already the 30th in Australia?

Julie---ENJOY YOURSELF and hurry back!!!!

sodascouts
11-29-2010, 11:07 AM
It'll be in the wee hours of the morning for Americans when the Eagles hit the stage in Australia. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Freypower
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
It's 8.50 am on November 30 here at the moment so I've got the day to fill in. It's cold and rainy - not summer weather at all. I feel strangely detached. I am using my Hotel California coffee mug though!

GA - re blowing a kiss, I will see what I can do.... :nahnah:

tequila girl
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
You've got all day to psych yourself up for it.............it'll be FABULOUS!!!!

Troubadour
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Aw, Julie! Today's the day! How exciting. I TOTALLY understand the nervousness, but try to push it away and just revel in the anticipation and the excitement. This time tomorrow, you will be wishing you were back here - at the beginning of your adventure! I was nervous before the second San Jose concert but, as soon as I got to that front row seat, I thought "I'm ACTUALLY HERE!" All the anxiety melted away and I just felt incredibly happy and lucky. I made my mind up to have the best night ever. And I did.

You've waited so long to see Glenn and the guys. Don't think about anything too much - just enjoy every second. As for the camera thing, I'm with Nancy. If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. (I'm very sensitive about stuff like that, too!) But, if it helps, Jess snapped away in San Jose from front row center - without the flash - and they didn't mind one bit! Just wait till tonight and see what the mood is like. If you don't get any pictures, don't stress. Some will show up online, and most of all, you'll have the memories imprinted in your mind!

Relax, have a wonderful day, revel in the anticipation and get ready for the most INCREDIBLE EVENING! You deserve it. :hug: :yay:

Wildthyme
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
By the time I get home from work tonight my time you will be there in front of the stage waiting for the opening notes of Seven Bridges Road... Have a fabulous time Julie... can't wait to hear all about it!!

Prettymaid
11-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm all excited for you too, Julie. Hope you have the time of your life!

BTW, I love your sig banner too! :thumbsup:

Freypower
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I will say one more big thank you to all Borderers for sharing the excitement (and I'm glad you like the banner). I will shortly be going off the computer. It is 1.30 pm & I will be going into town about 5pm (I like to be early). The show starts at 8pm. I put the camera on 'museum' setting so the flash is disabled. Can you believe it? Eagles Rule OK!! I will think of you all when those familiar silhouettes appear & those even more familiar voices invade my ears.

GlennLover
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Just have a great time, Julie!! I wish I was there with you1 (Don't we all!) :partytime:

sodascouts
11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh, I wish I were there too! It won't be long now - just a few hours more!

11-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Well Julie - I'm guessing you've left by now for the show, but a great many of us would sure love to be there with ya. Take several deep breaths and have a blast! Hopefully, the show will be everything you expected it to be, and well worth the very long wait that you've had to endure.

Koala
11-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Julie, I'm excited for you, only a few hours then, finally, the concert starts!

Relax and Enjoy!

Prettymaid
11-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, it's 10:15 in Australia and Julie should be rocking out to the second set about now! :headbang:

TimothyBFan
11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I will think of you all when those familiar silhouettes appear & those even more familiar voices invade my ears.

Awww-what a nice thought but I doubt it!! But the thought of those silhouettes.... **sigh**!!

I woke at 4 am my time this morning, and the first thing I thought was, Julie should be there NOW!!

Glennsallnighter
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I woke up to subzero temps and a snowstorm this morning. But also to NKIT. My first thought was 'Its a helluva lot warmer in Sydney today'

But 5 minutes later I cheered up considerably when I got a text from my boss that the school was closed for the day due to the snow!:)

tequila girl
12-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Am I right in thinking Julie is at her 2nd concert right about now!?

If so.....hope you're having a ball!! :partytime: :partytime:

Freypower
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I did. It was amazing. There will be more in the review thread.

Freypower
12-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Well, I have a question which belongs in the Acer Arena antiicpation thread.

Should I ease up on the photos? I took lot on Thursday, as you saw: 'life through a lens' to quote Robbie Williams. Does it put them off seeing nothing but a camera aimed at them? I did only try & take a couple per song although there are a few of RMW & TIE. I thought on Tuesday as I'm second row I may not take any at all. What do people think?

tequila girl
12-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Keep takin' the pictures!!! :thumbsup: No, seriously Julie - if you felt you've got enough leave it, but personally... I'd take as many as was humanly possible! :hilarious:

Glennhoney
12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
..there can never be too many pictures..keep them coming...:thumbsup:

WalshFan88
12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Keep the pictures coming for sure! :)

sodascouts
12-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Of course, we all adore the photos (myself included) but if it's interfering with your enjoyment, then take it easy on them and perhaps wait for those "moments" you know will come.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I have to agree with Soda. As much as we love the pictures, I want you to be able to enjoy and take in every minute of it. If it is hampering your enjoyment, by all means, back off on the picture taking. And thank you for all the pictures you have managed so far!!

Freypower
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
The only thing I would say is once I got the hang of it I had to wait for each shot to focus, then I had to take the photo, then I had to look at the camera to make sure it worked OK. I have a different view tonight (closer to Joe) so I will try & take more of Joe.

AzEaglesFan
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
We would reaaly appeciate that Julie.:thumbsup:

GlennLover
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
The only thing I would say is once I got the hang of it I had to wait for each shot to focus, then I had to take the photo, then I had to look at the camera to make sure it worked OK. I have a different view tonight (closer to Joe) so I will try & take more of Joe.

We appreciate that Julie. Just make sure that your picture taking doesn't cause you to miss one bit of the show.You've waited so long to see them again. IMHO, even though we love your terrific pictures, we'd rather that you enjoy the show to the fullest.

Koala
12-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, we all really appeciate that!

Only a few hours until concert #3! How exciting!
ENJOY!