PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Entertainment Centre 30-11-2010

Koala
11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Here I have found a short review

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/eagles-take-it-easy-then-go-hard/story-fn6ccwsa-1225963592131
Eagles take it easy then go hard
THE recipe for a perfect concert is relatively simple. Start with a bang, don't flag in the middle and finish with a bigger bang.

TimothyBFan
11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
When I first saw this..." but a female fan with powerful lungs", I thought Julie but then read on and knew she wouldn't do that! :hilarious:

They spelled Timothy's name wrong.... again. Just needed to point that out. ;-)

Eve
11-30-2010, 01:07 PM
"Play something we know." LOL!

Brooke
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Been thinking about Julie since I got up and wondering how it went!

Prettymaid
11-30-2010, 02:31 PM
The other expectation every Eagles fan comes to a concert armed with is to hear harmonies. Big, glorious, multi-layered human voices joined as one. And this group do that better than any other collection of contemporary rock musicians touring the world these days.

Love this part!

Freypower
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
The audience was very quiet early on, that is true. That, however, was their problem and not mine. I had a fabulous time and.... just a quick teaser before I write the full review....

THEY PLAYED SOMEBODY!!!

I am just putting the photos into my Flickr account. Some of them are a bit blurred. It took me half the show to get the hang of keeping the camera steady so I lost a lot, but there are a couple which aren't bad.

timfan
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
WOW Julie!!! :partytime: That's so wonderful that they played SOMEBODY! I am soo happy for you! Can't wait to read your review and see your pics! After all the years of waiting it's finally happening for you!

Brooke
11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
:yay: Can't wait to hear and see more!

EaglesFanatic
11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Can't wait to hear more about it. That is SO cool that they played Somebody!

Glennsallnighter
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
The audience was very quiet early on, that is true. That, however, was their problem and not mine. I had a fabulous time and.... just a quick teaser before I write the full review....

THEY PLAYED SOMEBODY!!!

I am just putting the photos into my Flickr account. Some of them are a bit blurred. It took me half the show to get the hang of keeping the camera steady so I lost a lot, but there are a couple which aren't bad.

OMG Julie! I am soooo delighted for you. I know this is one you really wanted to see live! :partytime::partytime::partytime::partytime::party time::partytime::partytime::partytime:

Can't wait to see your pics and sure you have another few shows to come if you aren't 100% pleased with these ones. What did they wear? (Translated as 'What did Glenn :heart: wear?)
Dying to read the 'real' review!

Freypower
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Here goes everyone. I'm sorry this has taken so long but I had to upgrade my Flickr account & I'm still loading the photos (there are 47, not nearly as many as I would have liked but I will do better on Thursday).

It was funny when I got to the Entertainment Centre because there wasn't much of an atmosphere & that carried on to the show as you probably gathered from the Telegraph review, but I won't dwell on that. I got my platinum package with a tote bag, notebook, pen & LROOE. I bought a really nice T shirt with one of the new photos on the front & another one on the back, plus a Hotel California hoodie. There is enough good merchandise to buy something at each show.

I was right in front of where Don would be standing. They were about 15 minutes late & then I saw them all walk on stage. My heart was in my mouth.

Seven Bridges Road

I didn't know where to look! Glenn had the black & white plaid shirt, Don the grey shirt (he wore the plainer grey shirt in the second half while Glenn changed to another plaid but with a smaller check pattern), Joe a crimson shirt with black leather waistcoat (vest) & Tim a nice blue satin type shirt.

7BR was good but it wasn't the whole song & I wasn't sure what the point of only singing part of it was but it was a good way to start.

How Long

I barely remember this now because I was trying to take photos (not very successfully at first). I think they all looked my way several times. They were good, but Don was struggling. He had the grey beard, by the way!

Busy Being Fabulous

This was better than the recorded version, with a really nice country feel to it and a bit of interaction between Don & Glenn. I need to pay more attention tomorrow. After this Glenn did his welcome speech. I barely remember what he said because I was staring at him so hard (in a nice way).

I Don't Want To Hear Any More

Tim struggled a bit in all his leads, to be honest, but this was better than the recording because he put a bit of edge into it, a hint of anger rather than just sadness. Glenn does really good harmonies on this song.

Guilty Of The Crime

Once again, Joe rocked this & it was much better live. Everyone on stage seemed to really enjoy it.

Hotel California

Magnificent though it is I think I have seen better versions of it because Don was having a few vocal problems, but Joe & Steuart's guitar work was wonderful to see.

Peaceful Easy Feeling

Sigh. He even did his 'here's some country rock' line. I don't know if he was looking at me or not. Joe did, all the time. Glenn is very cute when he finishes singing because he says 'thank you' away from the mic & gives one of those grins.

I Can't Tell You Why

As I said Tim wasn't at his best vocally so the song just went past in its usual soothing way.

Witchy Woman

My first ever performance of this, complete with Old Black. Great track. I promise more details after Thursday's show. Don was pretty good during this. He also pounded the drums which is what I prefer to see.

Lyin' Eyes

The spiel about Dan Tana's got an enthusiastic response. I think Glenn wanted us all to sing along but not that many people did. Fortunately the 'she won't have to worry (much)' part was pretty much aimed at me, the second time this has happened.

The Boys Of Summer

Nice, full on version in which Joe in particular shone. Glenn was doing the usual mouthing the words. He opens his mouth a lot - something I hadn't really noticed previously. I could see his teeth (we did get the occasional spit).

In The City

Another great rocker from Mr Walsh although there are other songs I would have preferred.

The Long Run

This is when Don said how quiet we were. He seemed a bit disappointed. I am not a great fan of this but thiis was my Major Recognition moment. You know when you feel a surge around you that your fellow audience members can feel the wave being directed at you. This came during 'I don't understand why you don't treat yourself better/do the crazy things that you do' all with Glenn staring at me. He didn't really smile at me but he communicated, if you know what I mean. What a high! He is something else.

I will let you start to read this & go on to Part 2.

timfan
11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Wowsers Julie! Great description; I felt like I was there with you! And you got a "Glenn moment" FANTASTIC! You deserve to enjoy every second of this. Sorry to heart that Don and Tim were not having the best nights vocally but leaves room for improvement :thumbsup:

Freypower
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Part 2:

No More Walks In The Wood

Awesome harmonies! They really know how to do it.

Waiting In The Weeds

I was expecting to be totally blown away by this but for some reason it didn't quite have the impact it should have, but once again Glenn was really getting into the lyrics. After it finished we got to give Steuart a round of applause as he co-wrote it & plays that fantastic mandolin.

No More Cloudy Days

Glenn did his 'botanical/meteorological' bit which Don seemed to find quite amusing . He was also nice enough to mention that they first played it here in 2004 & then of course proceeded to sing it beautifully, but I wa in such a daze I didn't take much in.

Best Of My Love

I'm not entirely sure about the order here. Another first for me. Don wanted us all to sing at the end but again there wasn't much response. It sounded good though. He told us he was feeling 'under the weather' again pronoucing 'weather' in a vaguely Australian way, which explained a lot.

Love Will Keep Us Alive

Tim got various sections of the crowd to cheer, thus introducing a bit more audience participation (I think he was very disappointed with it) & sang the song well considering the problems he had.

Take It To The Limit

The credit card song was one of the highlights of the night, I am happy to say, especially as I got the song title directed at me. It was very moving & uplifting. He did an improv of 'one more time' at the end which made it extra special. Did I say he sang superbly throughout? As to what he LOOKED like, well.....

Long Road Out Of Eden

This is what I came to see and it was unbelievably awesome. The song is incredibly powerful & watching Don & Glenn sing their parts together was just fantastic. I made sure I sang along so they would know how much I was loving it.

And then Glenn was given his acoustic guitar, which meant the next song would not be Walk Away, but Somebody!

I nearly went off my head. I was so thrilled. Charisma plus. Also Don & Tim didn't share a mic but stood separately. Don seemed to enjoy playing it. Glenn didn't exaggerate the 'calling you home' bit quite as much. I need to see this again, very badly, because I still can't believe I saw it. I want to thank him for singing it.

Walk Away

Really vibrant with lots of guitar faces. Just wow. Lots of movement & enjoyment from all of them.

One Of These Nights

How I love Glenn leaning back from the mic during this song. Nice solo by Steuart.

Band Intros

Pretty much the usual, but Tim was quite effusive about 'the founder of this whole thing' who then told the Detroit joke (you know the one). Sigh.

Joe got everyone to make silly sounds before Life's Been Good. The variation this time was 'they send me emails/tell me Glenn's great' which produced an absolutely priceless facial expression'.

Dirty Laundry

Tim came down to the front of the stage & made people stand up! And they did! Don seemed to find it very gratifying. How I wish they had remained standing. It really pumped hard. I kept doing the arm gestures for 'up & down' which brought some attention.

Edit: Funk #49

This is always a lot of fun especially with all that posing they do, but Glenn & Joe didn't do the guitar 'duel' at the start.

Heartache Tonight

I took some photos of this which aren't perfect but the song was its usual self. What can I say?

Life In The Fast Lane

Don played guitar on this. I don't know how I feel about him reducing his drumming (he played percussion on Rocky Mountain Way) but he did get to join in all the swaying around which they do.

They waved & left the stage but came back for the last three songs all at once.

Take It Easy

This was good as ever but again I don't remember much about it. I need to concentrate!

Rocky Mountain Way

This should have been before Take It Easy but it is fantastic to watch.

Desperado

Unfortunately this was not a good way to climax. Don was very tentative. He didn't even hold that really long note. I have never approved of this song as the show closer & I am even more convinced now because if it isn't a good performance the mood goes down. I have to be honest here. Perhaps it will be better tomorrow.

When they took the bow it all got very chaotic. Tim was very sweet to me. As he came back from the right hand side he gave me a long, sensitive look, which just seemed to say 'thank you for being so enthusiastic'. And that was it.

Here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22652522@N07/sets/72157625502884534/

I have a couple of particular favourites which I will post later (see if you can guess which ones they are!). I will keep this set public for a while so you can all have a look; I promise I will do better tomorrow.

Eve
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Nice photos Freypower!

GlennLover
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Julie, what do you mean that you'll "do better tomorrow"? Both the pictures & your review were great. You're like me when you say you don't remember much about certain songs, especially Glenn's. I'm glad I'm notthe only one! I don't think that it is that we don't concentrate. I think it's that we concentrate so hard & are so into it, trying to take everything in while the song is being sung, that after it's over it's difficult to get back into the rapture to recall the details! As you said, you were in a daze! I certainly was in Aspen! So glad you got some attention from Glenn! :partytime: I'm jealous. I was hoping to get some in Aspen, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Hopefully the crowds will be more lively at the other shows, but the important thing is that you had a good time!

Troubadour
11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures and the review, Julie. You took some wonderful photos (especially of Mr. Frey!) and the review made me feel like I was right there with you. I am beyond thrilled that they played Somebody for you! How cool is that? I can only imagine your excitement when the song started. I'm also chuffed that you got some real recognition and attention from Glenn... You definitely deserve it. Hopefully you'll get some more tonight - particularly if he recognises you!

I'm sorry to hear that Tim's voice wasn't 100% and that Don is feeling under the weather (I'm very willing to provide some TLC if he needs it. For Don, obviously... I'm sure Willie has Tim covered.) LOVING that he has the grey beard again. :smitten:

Revel in the memories, and I can't wait to hear all about Concert Number Two!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Julie - I echo what everyone else has said, especially thrilled for you about Somebody ... I know how much you wanted to hear it. Glad you finally got to see how awesome Long Road Out of Eden is live as well. I knew you would have an awesome time, no matter what. All the extras are just icing on the cake. And I agree, your review was fine. It is very hard to remember all those little details, especially when your mind is in a fog.

Looking forward to show #2!!!

Prettymaid
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
This picture is just awesome! Too bad it's a little blurry.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5090/5221597913_03a1306d89_b.jpg

"I need to concentrate!" :hilarious: You're so funny FP. I know what you mean, though. When you're there you want to see and remember every single thing. But of course that's impossible. You're lucky though - you get to go back and see it all over again tonight (your time). And they're going to remember you. You know they are! That's so cool!

I'm glad they put Somebody back in. (BBF not so much...) And isn't LROOE haunting live?

And you got some Glenntact! Yea! You're sure to get more tonight.

I hate to hear when any of them are under the weather. Hopefully they'll feel better tonight.

I was just so happy to read your review. It's been six years coming!

Freypower
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
It's actually tomorrow night my time (Thursday).

I know some of the photos are blurry but they were taken so quickly. The band didn't seem to mind though.

Prettymaid
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
It's actually tomorrow night my time (Thursday).

I know some of the photos are blurry but they were taken so quickly. The band didn't seem to mind though.

Sorry - I get confused with the time difference.

And don't think I'm complaining about the picures. I'm eating them up!

UK TimFan
11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Here I have found a short review

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/eagles-take-it-easy-then-go-hard/story-fn6ccwsa-1225963592131
Eagles take it easy then go hard
THE recipe for a perfect concert is relatively simple. Start with a bang, don't flag in the middle and finish with a bigger bang.
Did anyone see the link to another Eagles 'report' at the side of this entry?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/eagles-have-learned-to-take-it-easy/story-e6frg8n6-1225960402149
Lots of Tim, with a bit about him possibly going to Australia with his solo show next year.

sodascouts
12-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Oh my gosh! How wonderful, Julie! Glenntact! Somebody! Plus, all the other new songs back in and Seven Bridges Road and Best of My Love...

Looks like Australia is getting the DELUXE setlist. Guess they wanna make up for your wait!

Your photos are fabulous!

I just got back from work an hour ago and I'm going to bed soon, but I had to check in and see your review. I'm so glad I did!

Koala
12-01-2010, 02:25 AM
WOW, I'm so excited! The played SOMEBODY, that is so cool!
Thank you so much for your review and amazing photos!

Can't wait to hear from the other concerts!:)

tequila girl
12-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Julie, Thanks for the great review and the photo's!! :nod:
I'm so glad they played "Somebody" for you :partytime:
.....and i'm So, Soooooooo Happy Don has his beard back!!! :inlove: :smitten:

Glennsallnighter
12-01-2010, 07:52 AM
(I'm sure Willie has Tim covered.)!!!!

No better woman than Willie to have Tim covered!! :wink:

Seriously Julie, your pics are gorgeous and Mr Frey....... :heart: :heart: :heart:. I'm so delighted you got some real recognition from Glenn :heart: and also from Joe. You deserve it so much. Glenn :heart: sounds like he is in top form. I hope Don and Tim return to full form for the other gigs.

Can't wait for Round 2!

Prettymaid
12-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Aw, that's a nice interview with Tim. Willie's going to love it. I like the way they've all been conditioned to 'never say never' to a new album.

TimothyBFan
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
No better woman than Willie to have Tim covered!! :wink:

:heybaby: The image that statement provokes!!

Julie, Julie, Julie....what a night you had...and how many more to look forward to? Just keep taking it all in and sharing it with us. You are doing a great job!! I just hope the next few audiences are more enthusiastic and Timothy & Don get into great form. All we need now is for them to add NKIT and you will be floating high for months!!

As for the article UK found...LOVED it!! Especially this part....

If that isn't an option, Schmit will return to his solo career when the present tour ends. His latest album, Expando, was released last year and he is keen to tour here with it after playing successful shows in the US and Europe. The others also have careers outside the Eagles. "Everybody's always working on something musical," Schmit says. "We do that in between the cracks. I'm starting to write new songs now. We always keep working on one level or another." PLEASE do Timothy...please do!!!

Brooke
12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Fabulous review and pictures, Julie! Now aren't you glad you took that camera?!

Thanks so much and have fun at the next one and take it all in! You are so lucky to get to go to so many shows in such a short time! :thumbsup:

Koala
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
more reviews

The Eagles
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/the-eagles-20101201-18gla.html

Flawless long-haul flight on autopilot
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/flawless-long-haul-flight-on-autopilot/story-e6frg8n6-1225964121895

TimothyBFan
12-01-2010, 01:20 PM
From the first review...

On the other side was a business-like band of musicians who almost grimly went about their work in the first half, professionally deploying tunes and offering near-perfect harmonies as the four frontmen's occasionally vulnerable voices (Timothy B. Schmidt the most worrying in his signature I Can't Tell You Why) were augmented by four more voices from the highly efficient and skilful backing band. All done well but there was nothing you could call zeal.Well guess you were spot on about the voices FP.

Sidenote---another misspelled Schmit. :hilarious:
2nd review...

IF one were allowed to do a short review of the Eagles in concert it would be tempting just to form the song titles I Don't Want to Hear Anymore, Guilty of the Crime and
I Can't Tell You Why into a coherent sentence and leave it at that. But no.
WTH? Seriously?

and yet this...

The second half was marginally better, but as a whole spark was outdone by plod. Hotel California - plod. Peaceful Easy Feeling - double plod. Witchy Woman - spark. No More Cloudy Days - more plod.:brickwall:

Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh can all hold a tune. They took turns on lead vocals with only Henley, who confessed to being a bit under the weather, struggling occasionally to make all the notes he wrote.At least this was fairly kind. Poor Don admitted to not feeling well. This one doesn't say anything about Timothy's voice tho.

Brooke
12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, how long does it take to fly to Australia-20 hours? I'm sure jet lag could have something to do with it! They will probably all feel better after a day or two.

Britt
12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, how long does it take to fly to Australia-20 hours? I'm sure jet lag could have something to do with it! They will probably all feel better after a day or two.

I totally agree with you, plus there is the time difference! The guys always said they get their energy from the crowd and the crowd didn't seem very much into them..Work both ways!

Freypower
12-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I was ashamed of the audience but there doesn't seem much point in harping on it. I don't know what the audience wanted. I would say though that if the band had come here in 2008 when the album was brand new perhaps people would have been more into it, but ultimately the reviewers should focus on the band.

The SMH's review was kinder than Murdoch's Australian (Memo Australian: Seven Bridges Road is not 'new'). To some extent I think the band does need a bit more 'self-reflection' about what they are playing but in what way I find it hard to say. I disagree that they were 'grim' and that there was no 'zeal' but yes, they were disappointed with the response.

Of COURSE the Oz would think the title track is 'lumbering'. It knows what Murdoch wants written. But if the band is not about 'risk taking' then why were all the new songs played? And at least there is a photo with the Oz review.

Edit: I also know that the same reviewers will fall over themselves in their slavish worship of U2 who played Melbourne last night. I am not going to read any U2 reviews other than the one the Herald will do. The Eagles are apparently fair game while U2 can never, ever be even mildly criticised. But ultimately I think it's what I think that is important as it is for all of us here.

timfan
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Some short videos clips from the "first night" See 'em while you can!

Hotel California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aewwuLZWp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMBv1pq7IE

PEF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E5k36KGHrM

Freypower
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Ah yes. I could see Glenn look my way in PEF.

But the second night (I will keep it in this thread & perhaps start a new thread for the Acer Arena shows): WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

More later....:thumbsup:

tequila girl
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Can't Wait!! :partytime:

timfan
12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Just found a video of IDWTHA.. and wow Tim sounds AMAZING! Kath is swooning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnA8edJj-A

Also found RMW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-m_2yX9zI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Julie I am soo glad you got see this :thumbsup:

Freypower
12-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I posted links to those in the Eagles YouTube thread. I should have posted them here.

Koala
12-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the Videos!:thumbsup: