PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Entertainment Centre 2-12-2010

Freypower
12-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I don't know if people read the SMH review about how apathetic the first night audience was, or if it being Thursday night made a difference, but the atmosphere was electric from the beginning. I am not going to review every song. They dropped BBF & GOTC & honestly this seemed to keep the momentum up before HC really got things going.

Apparently only Messrs Frey & Henley are allowed to change clothes at intermission. Glenn started in a pale lilac shirt & then a pale grey shirt. Don had his grey shirt & then the rusty pink coloured one. Tim had a navy striped shirt with waistcoat while Joe wore the same waistcoat but with a crushed velvet shirt. They all looked great!

Both Don & Tim sang a lot better although Don was joking before TLR that he had to go backstage & take more medication for his 'bronchial problem' & that it might help him if he ate Indian or Indonesian food. He said the song was a theme song for him. He was much more successful when he introduced BOML in getting people to sing along. The song had a quiet simplicity which the (IMO) overproduced studio version lacked. I think the best songs Don sang where as usual the ones where he plays drums - particularly WW & OOTN. I paid special attention to WITW & I found it very moving. Desperado was a lot better & like the other night a lot lighter on the melodrama. KISS, Don. His drumming is so underrated. He is really good. He is very serious, though - he doesn't smile often. Perhaps if I had looked his way during Somebody he may have done but I was - er - preoccupied.

You Tim fans would have been in seventh heaven as I was directly in front of him which meant he played the first half & acoustic set pretty much to me. He didn't smile but just watched intently as I sang along, especially during WITW. He seemed impressed that I was so involved. As the show went on though my attention was more focused elsewhere. He did some really good bass faces. I think the version of LWKUA was perhaps the best I have seen. Once again he revved us up before DL.

I should say that before the show we were told by security that we could stand up. I didn't think anyone would but it started in OOTN & DL & to my immense gratification continued during HT & LITFL. This meant I was able to walk up to the barrier & get just that BIT closer.

Joe was his usual playful self although perhaps a bit more subdued than the previous night but his playing was awesome. The LROOE solo is just wonderful. His singing was also great. He doesn't move around as much as he used to. Probably the highlight of his songs were Walk Away & Funk #49.

Now... Glenn knew very well that I was there, as you will see in some photos. It was more a case of just looking rather than giving major attention & it tended to be during specific lines of songs like 'kick 'em when they're up'. I didn't mind. As is normally the case he had his eyes closed most of the time while singing. His voice was awesome. He totally rocked Somebody & he should never, ever drop it again. He got perhaps the biggest ovation of the night, you will be pleased to know, for TITTL. At one point he even did a sort of Chuck Berry duck walk, which was nice as he doesn't move around all that much. I took a couple of shots of his back view because he looks good from that angle too! Also the Detroit joke was very warmly received & he seemed to find this funny rather than just doing it on autopilot. He did say thank you a couple of times. I would write more but those of you who are Frey fans will have experienced all of this. It is a privilege, what can I say?

I took far more care with the photos & am rather proud of myself. There are about 140 & let me assure you all there is something for everyone. At the moment they are still uploading to Flickr so I will post the link when I have created the set.

I wish I were going tonight but anyway - on Monday, Acer here I come!

tequila girl
12-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks Julie.......Sounds like last night was better for everyone! :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see the pics!! :partytime:

Troubadour
12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Another fantastic review - thank you so much, Julie! Sounds like more of an all-round great show. More energy from the guys and the audience. I'm glad Don sounded better (that TLC I offered the other night obviously did the trick...) and also that Tim seemed well. It's great that you got more attention from the guys, and Glenn in particular. I cannot WAIT to see your photos! :yay: Sounds like you did a great job. Another concert on Monday... lucky thing! (I say this with the warmest feelings - you have waited a long time for this and you deserve every minute.)

Prettymaid
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Well you certainly do deserve it Julie. You've been patiently (for the most part) waiting while we reviewed our shows and now it's your turn! I'm anxious to see your pictures along with everyone else.

Freypower
12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Here they are. Some of them if I say so myself are not bad at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22652522@N07/sets/72157625391228701/

Eve
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Fantastic job FP! You got some wonderful shots.

Brooke
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow, Julie! :yay:

I'm so glad I got to read your review and see your pics before taking off for the weekend! I would have been anxious all weekend just wondering! Thanks so much! It sounds like it was a better performance and your pics are just amazing! :cool:

TimothyBFan
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh my Julie.... Those pics... #45 & 106 take my breath away!!! Great job on them and the review! Glad to know things improved all around!

Troubadour
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh, these photos have made my night! Thank you SO much.

I had to post this one. Such a great shot, and I love the expression on Don's face. So cute! :heart:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5227682296_273c723eaf_b.jpg

Freypower
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Isn't it.... it's very important for me as a founding member of the Border to finally have some recent photos to contribute. I like that one too.

TimothyBFan
12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm adding these 2 also because I think they are perfect, especially the first one.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Timothy%20B%20Schmit/SydneyAustralia12-10.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Timothy%20B%20Schmit/SydneyAustralia12-102.jpg

Freypower
12-02-2010, 09:03 PM
That was a 'Glenntact' moment, as you see. :partytime:

Glennhoney
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
LOVE your pics.............

sodascouts
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Thank you for that wonderful review - so glad you got so much "Glenntact" - and these photos are stunning!

Let's just say I think you can rest easy about not letting us down!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-03-2010, 01:25 AM
THANK YOU, JULIE!!!

Freakin' incredible pics and love the review as well. Glad the energy level seemed to pick up last night.

GlennLover
12-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Fantastic photos, FP!! So many of Mr. Frey! He looks gorgeous! :drool: They all do! :thumbsup: Great review as well.

So glad that it was a different atmosphere at this show & that Don & Tim are better. Don seems to suffer a lot with bronchial problems :shrug:. I'm so happy for you that you have seats so close to them & that you are getting a lot of Glenntact.

Koala
12-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Julie, thank's for your wonderful review and photos!:)

tequila girl
12-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Thank You Julie - you got some fabulous pics there :thumbsup:......... worth getting up at 5.15 for!! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
12-03-2010, 02:59 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5227682296_273c723eaf_b.jpg

Wow, it looks like Glenn's Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard is fading from its original cherry burst to what the guitar collectors call "ice tea burst", meaning the cherry is fading and it turns orangey-yellow. That's my favorite guitar Glenn plays. Great pics Freypower! :)

Stars
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Nice pics-very professional looking!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
12-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow, it looks like Glenn's Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard is fading from its original cherry burst to what the guitar collectors call "ice tea burst", meaning the cherry is fading and it turns orangey-yellow. That's my favorite guitar Glenn plays. Great pics Freypower! :)

Gee, I was thinking the same thing when I looked at that picture. :lie: ;)

Freypower
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Gee, Willie, I am so flattered. An avatar of a photo taken by me! (I haven't made any for myself yet).

One thing I did notice that the Rhodes electric piano was missing its 's' which proves that this is a hard working rock band & not just a slick professional business (take that SMH). I would give more details if I could remember them.

WalshFan88
12-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Gee, I was thinking the same thing when I looked at that picture. :lie: ;)

While we can't enjoy the same things about the pics, we can still both enjoy them! ;)

TimothyBFan
12-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Gee, Willie, I am so flattered. An avatar of a photo taken by me! (I haven't made any for myself yet).

The are so WORTHY of it!!! I hope you didn't mind that I did that. Please let me know if you would rather I take it down (especially since I cropped poor Glenn out of it). It was such a beautiful picture, the colors were gorgeous and the subject matter wasn't to bad either. :)

Glennsallnighter
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
WOW, Julie, they are lovely pics indeed. I'm glad that once again you had such a wonderful time and that the lads seemed to be better received. Also that you got some recognition from both Glenn :heart: and Timothy! I hope you finish on a high on Monday night! Have more fun!!

Freypower
12-05-2010, 06:04 PM
The are so WORTHY of it!!! I hope you didn't mind that I did that. Please let me know if you would rather I take it down (especially since I cropped poor Glenn out of it). It was such a beautiful picture, the colors were gorgeous and the subject matter wasn't to bad either. :)

You already did take it down! I have three words for you & I am sure you know where they are from:

Bring It Back! (Up to you of course).....

Just an observation that Glenn now calls the backing band the 'ensemble'. What next? Orchestra?!!

TimothyBFan
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
You already did take it down! I have three words for you & I am sure you know where they are from:

Bring It Back! (Up to you of course).....

THANK YOU!!! I just didn't want to step on your toes! I LOVE it and it's back! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I love it too, Willie. I also love your signature - beautiful colours! Tim looks so adorable.

StephUK
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Great photos. They helped me cope with my PEW. I spotted my darling Will in a few, so that made my day! Thanks for sharing.

Freypower
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcyQ-ACo0Es

This is a pretty good medley of songs, but the person very pointedly did not include one newer song & it took a while for Glenn to feature.

Koala
01-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Another Hotel California video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszpowoaqRk

Ive always been a dreamer
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Love the view of the stage on this one. Thanks as always, Koala!

EasyFeeling
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
The videos are gone :sad:

Julie, thanks for your review and of course for posting your photos, they are brilliant ! :grin: