PDA

View Full Version : Make Your Own "Best of Don Henley"

sodascouts
12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Per EaglesFanatic's suggestion in another thread:

If you could make your own "best of" compilation of 15 songs for Don Henley's solo stuff, what would be on the CD?

sodascouts
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Here's mine:

1. Talking to the Moon
2. Lilah
3. Dirty Laundry
4. Boys of Summer
5. Not Enough Love in the World
6. Sunset Grill
7. All She Wants to Do Is Dance
8. End of the Innocence
9. Last Worthless Evening
10. New York Minute
11. The Heart of the Matter
12. I Will Not Go Quietly
13. You Don't Know Me At All
14. Taking You Home
15. Leather and Lace

tequila girl
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Here's mine (in no particular order)

1. Nobody's Business
2. Damn it Rose
3. You're not drinking enough
4. Boys of Summer
5. Miss Ghost
6. Lilah
7. Goodbye to a River
8. Not Enough Love in the World
9. For my Wedding
10.The End of the Innocence
11. Everything is Different Now
12. Last Worthless Evening
13. Land of the Living
14. Long Way Home
15. Talking to the Moon

and a few others! :hilarious:

whitcap
12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Here's my list:

1. You Better Hang Up
2. Nobody’s Business
3. Dirty Laundry
4. The Boys of Summer
5. You’re Not Drinking Enough
6. Not Enough Love in the World
7. All She Wants to do is Dance
8. Drivin’ With Your Eyes Closed
9. The End of the Innocence
10. The Last Worthless Evening
11. New York Minute
12. Little Tin God
13. The Heart of the Matter
14. Taking You Home
15. Everything is Different Now

Freypower
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Love Rules
Dirty Laundry
Talking To The Moon
Lilah
The Boys Of Summer
You're Not Drinking Enough
A Month Of Sundays
The End Of The Innocence
The Last Worthless Evening
The Heart Of The Matter
New York Minute
Goodbye To A River
Damn It, Rose
Miss Ghost
You Don't Know Me At All

TimothyBFan
12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
1. Heart Of The Matter
2. End Of The Innocence
3. Not Enough Love In The World
4. If Dirt Were Dollars
5. Boys Of Summer
6. Sunset Grill
7. New York Minute
8. Last Worthless Evening
9. I Will Not Go Quietly
10. I Can't Stand Still
11. Gimme What You Got
12. Miss Ghost
13. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
14. Goodbye To A River
15. Dirty Laundry

Maleah
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
1. The Heart of the Matter
2. Boys of Summer
3. Dirty Laundry
4. Last Worthless Evening
5. New York Minute
6. Not Enough Love In The World
7. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
8. Taking You Home
9. My Thanksgiving
10. I Will Not Go Quietly
11. Sunset Grill
12. A Month Of Sundays
13. How Bad Do You Want It
14. Miss Ghost
15. Talking To The Moon

But I would probably change my mind a few dozen times if I kept looking at this list lol

Koala
12-06-2010, 03:16 AM
The End Of The Innocence
Lilah
The Boys Of Summer
The Heart Of The Matter
Taking You Home
Not Enough Love in the World
My Thanksgiving
Last Worthless Evening
Talking To The Moon
All She Wants To Do Is Dance
Miss Ghost
Little Tin God
A Month Of Sundays
Dirty Laundry
I Will Not Go Quietly

Ive always been a dreamer
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Okay - this is way too hard. I did Don's list first, but it's gonna take me some time to get to the other guys. It's very difficult for me to narrow down these type of list to a certain number, but I'll try. However, I must insist on mentioning the ones that I cut :wink: . So here it is although I didn't rank them in order of preference ...

1.) Dirty Laundry
2.) Long Way Home
3.) Talking to the Moon
4.) Lilah
5.) The Boys of Summer
6.) All She Wants To Do Is Dance
7.) Not Enough Love In the World
8.) Sunset Grill
9.) You Don’t Know Me At All
10.) The End of the Innocence
11.) The Heart of the Matter
12.) The Last Worthless Evening
13.) I Will Not Go Quietly
14.) New York Minute
15.) Taking You Home

And the others that really made the list as well: Them and Us, Nobody’s Business, How Bad Do You Want It?, They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming, and My Thanksgiving.

WalshFan88
02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
My 15 fav's.

Dirty Laundry
Boys Of Summer
New York Minute
The Heart Of The Matter
All She Wants To Do Is Dance
The Last Worthless Evening
I Will Not Go Quietly
Long Way Home
The End Of The Innocense
Taking You Home
Nobody's Business
I Can't Stand Still
Goodbye To A River
Leather & Lace
Building The Perfect Beast

AzEaglesFan
02-20-2011, 02:04 AM
My List for Don

Last Worthless Evening (My Favorite
Boys of Summer
Dirty Laundry
Not Enough Love in the World
All She Wants to do is Dance
You Don't Know Me at All (Second favorite
The End of the Innocence
The Heart of the Matter
Leather & Lace

02-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Wow Austin - as much as I agreed with you about Joe's Life's Been Good in the current Survivor game, with all due respect, I never thought I would see Building the Perfect Beast make anyone's favorite list. But, you just never know. Here's what I wrote about the song in my review of the BTPB album.

"Building the Perfect Beast – This is without question the worst song Don has ever recorded, IMHO. Honestly, I don’t like much of anything about it. Every time I hear it, it leaves me with only one thought – “What was he thinking?”

So as you can see, I have a somewhat different take on the song than you do. :wink: I would love to hear why you like it if you are interested in sharing that.

WalshFan88
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Dreamer-

BTPB isn't one of my "top favorites" but I included it mainly because it's unique. I guess my lists were more of a mix of favorites and essentials. I really think that BTPB has weird lyrics, but it is unique so I included it. My personal favorite Henley song is "Boys of Summer". I'm not that big a fan of it, but I guess I included it because it was unique. I agree though it's probably not "that' great of a song though. But I tend to somehow kinda like "unique" songs automatically regardless of the lyrics or music. I'm just "different" that way I guess! :hilarious:

Hope that answers your question! :D

02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for responding to me, Austin. As we always say ... different strokes for different folks. And I do agree with you on one point here - hardcore suckage from Don Henley is indeed unique. :lol:

WalshFan88
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks for responding to me, Austin. As we always say ... different strokes for different folks. And I do agree with you on one point here - hardcore suckage from Don Henley is indeed unique. :lol:

:hilarious:

sodascouts
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
BTPB isn't my favorite, but I don't think it's hardcore suckage. The line about everyone living to be as old as Methuselah and then running out of parking spaces cracks me up every time. What a clever way to talk about overpopulation!

02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Okay Soda, I'll grant you that one line from BTPB is pretty good, but it's not enough to save the song for me. Just different strokes - but the song just doesn't do a thing for me. It is one of the few Don solo songs that I give a :thumbsdown: to - most of his stuff I love. :thumbsup:

02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
The other week, I compiled the results of this thread in Glenn's forum and found it to be interesting, so I thought I'd do it for the rest of the guys as well - just because I'm curious (and anal). :wink:

So from those who have made a list in this thread, here is a list of the songs that got the most votes up to this point ...

1. The Boys of Summer
2. The Last Worthless Evening
3. Dirty Laundry
4. The End of the Innocence
5. The Heart of the Matter
6. Not Enough Love In the World
8. New York Minute
9. Taking You Home
11. Talking To the Moon
12. Lilah
13. Miss Ghost

If I calculated correctly, The Boys of Summer and The Last Worthless Evening are the only songs that made everyone's list. Is anyone surprised by anything here?

WalshFan88
02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
The other week, I compiled the results of this thread in Glenn's forum and found it to be interesting, so I thought I'd do it for the rest of the guys as well - just because I'm curious (and anal). :wink:

So from those who have made a list in this thread, here is a list of the songs that got the most votes up to this point ...

1. The Boys of Summer
2. The Last Worthless Evening
3. Dirty Laundry
4. The End of the Innocence
5. The Heart of the Matter
6. Not Enough Love In the World
8. New York Minute
9. Taking You Home
11. Talking To the Moon
12. Lilah
13. Miss Ghost

If I calculated correctly, The Boys of Summer and The Last Worthless Evening are the only songs that made everyone's list. Is anyone surprised by anything here?

I'm not surprised at all. The Boys of Summer is Henley's best solo song (IMO of course) and my favorite of his. 2nd place goes to Dirty Laundry for me. TBOS and DL are my favorite Henley solo songs. I think TLWE is my 3rd place fav.

sodascouts
02-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, it never surprises me when a song doesn't make EVERYONE'S list. No matter how much you love a song, not everyone will. In fact, I'm more surprised Last Worthless Evening did - even though it's a person favorite of mine as well!

Prettymaid
02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't do lists very well, but I can tell you that my favorite Don solo song is Heart Of The Matter. :heart:

sodascouts
02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Same here. The song is magnificent - and what a great message as well. Chokes me up when I'm in the right mood.

Prettymaid
02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Me too. :ack:

Maleah
02-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Oh gosh, me three guys. lol I've said for a long time that the lyrics "I'm learning to live without you now, but I miss you sometimes, the more I know, the less I understand, all the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" are some of my favorite lyrics ever. The entire song is magnificent.

Brooke
02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't do lists very well, but I can tell you that my favorite Don solo song is Heart Of The Matter. :heart:

Same here. I just don't have time to take the time to really think them through.

And yes, Heart of the Matter-all time personal favorite Don solo song! Just beautiful! :inlove:

02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah - I'm a HOTM lover as well, and was a little surprised that THe Last Worthless Evening made everyone's list, but Dirty Laundry and The Heart of the Matter didn't.

I was surprised that Sunset Grill and You Don't Know Me At All received less votes than Miss Ghost, but I've always figured that I am at a loss as to the appeal of Miss Ghost. I just don't get it and I probably never will. :lol:

Freypower
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Again there's a song on my list that is on no-one else's: A Month Of Sundays. I suspect Love Rules too... (edit) yes.

If I were to do the list again I would leave out New York Minute & include If Dirt Were Dollars.

UK TimFan
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
I started to compile lists too :smile:, but then no-one else seemed to post and other (personal) events happened so I never got round to either posting the results - or even to compiling my own list of favourites.

I'm still stuck on about 20 of Don's songs, but I will definitely be choosing New York minute and Goodbye to a river - both of which can have me in floods of tears at times, while I definitely won't be choosing 'Boys of summer'. (I know, I know, I'm weird, but I really do not like that song.)

I will probably be with Freypower in selecting A month of Sundays. Having a cousin who is in farming, and coming from a very agricultural county in England, I can associate so closely with the truth in the song.