PDA

View Full Version : The Border Book Club

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks Zelda,

But I tend to be a pollyanna and I look for the good in the book .For me Its also cool that JAhh and I are reading the same series and talking about it.
Imagin that after 31 years lol

Oh by the by,
I am just checking...I gave you TBS pics from when JAHH and Isaw him in may.COrrect.
I just printed some up from Ac. I"ll send them out to you if I haven"t already...just let me know.'
I did send the group shot right???
Sometimes I am so brain dead. (NO , its my mind is full and there is too much going on with Lucas shower this weekedn and the wedding for another friend.)
Wanna get it out in the mail to you

tt

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks Zelda,

But I tend to be a pollyanna and I look for the good in the book .For me Its also cool that JAhh and I are reading the same series and talking about it.
Imagin that after 31 years lol

Oh by the by,
I am just checking...I gave you TBS pics from when JAHH and Isaw him in may.COrrect.
I just printed some up from Ac. I"ll send them out to you if I haven"t already...just let me know.'
I did send the group shot right???
Sometimes I am so brain dead. (NO , its my mind is full and there is too much going on with Lucas shower this weekedn and the wedding for another friend.)
Wanna get it out in the mail to you

tt

oh yeah I got the sweet Timothy B pics from May ...and they are sweet!!!...and I got the group shot too...thanks...promise your's will go out in tomorrow's mail!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Ok

So I will send out the ones we took at Revel from Sat nite for you. And I have the one of you and soda in the restraunt after the show I will send too.

Just trying to keep track I forget sometimes.

tt

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
TBF - not to change the subject but have you started reading/read the Heart book yet? I haven't got it yet but I need to. Was curious what you thought.

Haven't received mine yet. Should be here this weekend along with Neil Young's book, according to Amazon. I'll keep you updated.

Topkat
09-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Look, I didn't come in here to start any arguments, I was just giving my opinion of the book, the whole idea of the book & the poor writing skills of this author.

If you guys enjoyed it, good. I didn't mean to start anything in here. I just don't see how this can empower a woman, but that is my view on it. I don't see abuse as empowering. This is just my opinion; we all have one. I never put anyone down for reading it. To each his own!

Peace out!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 06:16 AM
hey,
I hearthere is a book coming out next month on Heart--anne and Nancy wilson.
Saw them on a cbs interview show a few weeks back and they are touring so I think that could be a good one to read.Anyone hear anything on it yet?

tt

Topkat
09-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Here's the Rolling Stone review of the new Heart book;

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/juicy-tales-from-hearts-ann-and-nancy-wilson-20120911?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

TimothyBFan
09-28-2012, 09:14 AM
hey,
I hearthere is a book coming out next month on Heart--anne and Nancy wilson.
Saw them on a cbs interview show a few weeks back and they are touring so I think that could be a good one to read.Anyone hear anything on it yet?

tt

They've sure been hyping it up a lot and I hear it's really good. See Austin and I's post here (#248 & #254). I checked my tracking this morning and it's at the post office when I get the mail today. It's suppose to be a lovely weekend so I plan on hitting the patio and reading it as much as I can this weekend.

Saw an interview with them on something last week and I guess there's something in there about John Mellencamp that really ticked him off and he called them about it. According to Ann, they're all ok now but I guess he didn't like it. Can't wait to read that part. :hilarious:

Topkat
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Saw an interview with them on something last week and I guess there's something in there about John Mellencamp that really ticked him off and he called them about it. According to Ann, they're all ok now but I guess he didn't like it. Can't wait to read that part. :hilarious:

The Rolling Stone review that I posted below mentioned that incident with Mellencamp.

Let us know what you think of the book. I bet they must have had some pretty wild times, & would be interesting to hear the rock star lifestyle from the female side of it, instead of always the rocker guys!

TimothyBFan
09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I bet they must have had some pretty wild times, & would be interesting to hear the rock star lifestyle from the female side of it, instead of always the rocker guys!

I think that's what has me most interested in the book. I bet it wasn't easy being a woman who was rocking in the all guy rock world.

WalshFan88
09-28-2012, 11:14 AM

:hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I agree with TBS and AUSTIN ....should really be an intresting book. THe interview you guys saw was on the sunday morning program on CBS so if you go to the web site you can re watch it. I am actually kinda excited...JAHH really liked them in their day so maybe this is abook we can read together.PLus...I saw that Cynde LAuper has a book out too when I was in B&N last week. ( MAn ...I gotta not go in there cause everytime I do ...$$$$$) but I do love to read. So...they are both on my list...and the steve perry one too.....so many books so little time but I gotta say...TBS what you described sounds like heaven but alas this is the wedding reception and the god son baby shower weekend from" OOps there goes my time" lol Please keep me posted TBS:):)

tt

sodascouts
09-28-2012, 10:15 PM
With regard to Fifty Shades of Grey, I think we all agree on the important stuff: consensual and playful S&M that doesn't hurt anybody is OK, abuse is not. Let's just leave it at that, then!

Regarding the new book by Ann and Nancy Wilson, there's a Stevie Nicks mention in one review (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/26/3834488/the-wilson-sisters-tell-a-story.html#storylink=cpy):

"Kicking & Dreaming," however, isn't about settling scores, though the gossipy aspects are certainly fun. One such story recalls a crazy night in the 1980s in which the Wilsons spent hours in Stevie Nicks' closet trying on her "millions of shawls and colored tights," only to realize they couldn't keep up with their fellow rocker's voracious appetite for various substances.

Lucky them. How cool to be able to try on Stevie's awesome clothes! As for the substance abuse - poor Stevie paid a high price for that voracious appetite before too long.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 11:42 PM
sounds like the heart book is on everybodys list:thumbsup:

Topkat
09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
This is one rock bio that is on my list. Pete Townshend.....Always a mystery & rock genius to me, I want to know the sad man behind blue eyes!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/book-review-pete-townshends-who-i-am-could-be-the-most-conflicted-rock-memoir-of-all-time-20120928

Tiffanny Twisted
09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
i ordered the heart book and I ordered the Giant dvd with the dvd that DH narrates(sorry that might be another thread)......
NOw gotta add the Neil YOung book to the list......

zeldabjr
09-30-2012, 01:17 AM
I got my copy of "You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again" today...but I can't seem to open it....all of a sudden I don't think I want to read it...I don't know what it is...I thought I wanted to read it...but now...the more I think about it...it is kind of "slimy" of those girls to write about stuff that is supposed to be personal and private...I sort of feel like I'm disrespecting Don and Glenn by reading it...does that sound sappy?...my conscience is bothering me I guess...hope my curiosity does not get the best of me!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Sorry zelda sweetie, but I don't get how reading the book is disrespectful to Don and Glenn at all. I think it's a safe bet to say that they won't even know about it, and even if they did they wouldn't feel affronted or insulted by you reading it. The book has been out for quite some time and what's written about them isn't that horrible anyway, so I'm thinking that they've gotten over it if they felt any initial indignation. I mean the chapter about Glenn is titled "Simply the Best" so how bad can that be? I say don't let your money go to waste and just read it. :thumbsup:

ETA: Of course, if you really feel slimy about reading it from a moral standpoint, then don't listen to a word I wrote - let your conscience be your guide. :wink:

Topkat
10-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Heart is appearing on Live with Kelly & Micheal show at 9 AM. Just FYI for anyone able to watch it. I think they will be singing!

lizzyplays
10-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I got my copy of "You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again" today...but I can't seem to open it....all of a sudden I don't think I want to read it...I don't know what it is...I thought I wanted to read it...but now...the more I think about it...it is kind of "slimy" of those girls to write about stuff that is supposed to be personal and private...I sort of feel like I'm disrespecting Don and Glenn by reading it...does that sound sappy?...my conscience is bothering me I guess...hope my curiosity does not get the best of me!

I need to order this book... first time I'm hearing about it!

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Just keep in mind when considering whether or not to get You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again that while Glenn's section is hot, Don's sections are kind of icky.

zeldabjr
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I need to order this book... first time I'm hearing about it!

I got my copy on ebay for four bucks...if you want it I'll send it to you!

Brooke
10-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I want to get the Heart book, too. I'm really surprised that they are doing a tell all on all these other people though, like Stevie, Don and Glenn, John M, etc. :hmm:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-03-2012, 10:05 AM
waiting for my heart book to come and gotta look for the other one next trip to barnes and noble.
plus I wanna read cynde lauper 's book too.
gee..I could stay home and read and not work.......

TimothyBFan
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I want to get the Heart book, too. I'm really surprised that they are doing a tell all on all these other people though, like Stevie, Don and Glenn, John M, etc. :hmm:

It's really good and a fast read, Brooke!! I recommend it.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok..my heart book came today...yipeee.

From all the posts I have seen it sounds intresting??:computer:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2012, 11:05 PM
What I read as a rule is all over the place. After my most recent autobiography/biography experiences I'm staying away from more of those for like maybe forever.

I read a few Christian books, and of course technical books, but mostly I read to 'get away'. After a day of writing requirements, writing testcases, and testing applications, my mind needs a vacation and nothing heavy. So I read a lot of things like romance books and women's fiction. I'm a speed reader and I can easily read four or five of those a week. Recently I read a series by Sherryl Woods and one of the books in the series took me by surprise and I really got wrapped up in it. To the point where I had to look up her email id and send an email and tell her my thoughts on it. It was nice to get the nicest, sweetest reply from her!

Lately, with the 'heavier' books I've been either reading or re-reading, I just finished The Ambassadors. Good grief. I can see now why I couldn't remember anything from the first time I read it. I intend to forget this one as soon as I can. Again. It might have something to do with the multiple prologues from all the authors who have tried to 'fix' it and tell you how to read it and what to look out for. I shouldn't need a user guide to read a book.

Now I'm into Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. I don't read a lot of mysteries or anything scary. It's a phobia right up there with heights. We'll see how it goes!

lizzyplays
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I got my copy on ebay for four bucks...if you want it I'll send it to you!

I just saw this reply, but you've already PM'd me about so we're all good! hehe:thumbsup:

lizzyplays
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
It's really good and a fast read, Brooke!! I recommend it.

If you recommend, then I'm putting it on my list!!

sodascouts
10-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Now I'm into Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. I don't read a lot of mysteries or anything scary. It's a phobia right up there with heights. We'll see how it goes!

I'm a huge fan of mysteries and I've read all of Christie's work - love her. That's one of her most memorable novels, IMHO. Hope you enjoy it!

PS If you don't like the darker stuff, I recommend her "Tommy and Tuppence" mysteries. Although Tommy and Tuppence are much less famous than Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, I enjoy them a lot. They're a cute crime-solving couple and the tone is typically lighter (except for By the Pricking of My Thumbs). You have to read the series in order, though, because the characters age. The first book is The Secret Adversary. You can take it from there. ;)

zeldabjr
10-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm a huge fan of mysteries and I've read all of Christie's work - love her. That's one of her most memorable novels, IMHO. Hope you enjoy it!

PS If you don't like the darker stuff, I recommend her "Tommy and Tuppence" mysteries. They're a cute crime-solving couple and the tone is typically lighter.

oh I adore mysteries...my favorite type of book!...I'll have to check out "Tommy and Tuppence"...

VAisForEagleLovers
10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
It was an easy read, obviously, since I'm done with it and I was six pages into it when I posted before. It wasn't what I thought it would be. I'm pretty sure I saw a movie based on it a long time ago. It was interesting. I stayed up to read it all because I'm not feeling well. Wide awake now.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Now moved on to re-reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I read it the first time in high school, I think, and so far I'm remembering very little of it. Consequently, it's like reading it for the first time.

zeldabjr
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Now moved on to re-reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I read it the first time in high school, I think, and so far I'm remembering very little of it. Consequently, it's like reading it for the first time.

I've never heard of it..what kind of book is it?...what's it about?

TimothyBFan
10-09-2012, 08:36 AM

OMG!! Great book!!! It's been ages since I read it also. Both of my kids read it a few years ago and LOVED it & I almost picked it up again but then didn't. I never re-read a book---too many books I haven't read to re-read a book I've already read. Only book I've ever re-read is Of Mice and Men.

VA-- have you ever read anything else of his? Really like Desolation Angels and his short stories, Lonesome Traveler.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
OMG!! Great book!!! It's been ages since I read it also. Both of my kids read it a few years ago and LOVED it & I almost picked it up again but then didn't. I never re-read a book---too many books I haven't read to re-read a book I've already read. Only book I've ever re-read is Of Mice and Men.

VA-- have you ever read anything else of his? Really like Desolation Angels and his short stories, Lonesome Traveler.

I usually feel the same about rereading books (except the romance books, they cost too much to buy a new one every time!), but some friends were talking about a book that I knew I'd read thirty years ago and I couldn't remember much about it.

sodascouts
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I taught a portion of that book in American Literature. A really interesting piece of American culture.

zeldabjr
10-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't know where I've been all my life that I haven't heard of this...will have to check it out!...did I have rotten teachers in high school?.lol

VAisForEagleLovers
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know where I've been all my life that I haven't heard of this...will have to check it out!...did I have rotten teachers in high school?.lol

My teachers didn't want us to read anything that would encourage hitchhiking!

prayfordaylight
10-11-2012, 01:53 PM

I agree - great book. Read it when I was in middle school. I rarely re-read books either but On the Road is one I've been considering. I just have too many to read for the first time before that.

Also a fan of Desolation Angels. Liked Dharma Bums and Big Sur as well. (Kind of went through a Beat writer phase as a teenager)

Freypower
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM

I liked On The Road & Dharma Bums but I wouldn't call them big favourites.

As for re-reading, I re-read my absolute favourite books on a fairly regular basis.

zeldabjr
10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
anyone read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn....a friend of mine just read it and loved it...

Tiffanny Twisted
10-12-2012, 06:19 AM
anyone read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn....a friend of mine just read it and loved it...
No but its on my list.....

made up my mind to go food shooping early tomorrow and on sunday not moving but off couch ..gonna read and sleep and maybe make a pot roast.

Troubadour
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I am wading in a pool of children's books at the moment for my course, but I'm loving it! I'm about to start Louis Sachar's 'Holes'.

As for 'adult' books, I'm working my way through 'Wolf Hall'.

prayfordaylight
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Got and started Pete Townshend's autobiography last night.

TimothyBFan
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I am wading in a pool of children's books at the moment for my course, but I'm loving it! I'm about to start Louis Sachar's 'Holes'.

One of my daycare kids is a huge reader (he's a 3rd grader) and whenever he starts a new book, which is often, shows me what he's reading. Yesterday he walked in with Holes. He's almost done with it today. Apparently he's liking it. :thumbsup:

Troubadour
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
That's great to know! My tutor, Liz, has been raving about it since the start of term. We read the opening couple of chapters in class and it hooked me in straight away.

Henley Honey
10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
No but its on my list.....

made up my mind to go food shooping early tomorrow and on sunday not moving but off couch ..gonna read and sleep and maybe make a pot roast.

I love a girl with a plan! Enjoy!!

Freypower
10-12-2012, 06:48 PM

I read Wolf Hall when it came out. I need to ask for the sequel, Bring Up The Bodies, for Christmas, HVIII junkie that I am.

One book I am re-reading is 100 Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I had forgotten how compelling it is. I recommend it if you don't expect the story to be linear & can deal with time shifts.

SallyGee
10-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Some of my favorite authors - Belva Plain, Dorthea Benton Frank, Anne Rivers Siddons, Barbara Delinsky

Grey Sadler
10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
OK...I finished the Hitchhiker's Guide "Trilogy"...:nahnah:
Read Paula by Isabel Allende...so bittersweet about her daughter :-(
And yesterday I started Heaven & Hell by Mr. Felder :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-14-2012, 07:05 PM
And yesterday I started Heaven & Hell by Mr. Felder :thumbsup:

As you probably have noticed, but in case you didn't, we have a thread for the reviews of his book. Can't wait to read your feedback.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Now I'm re-reading The Shack by William Paul Young.

Brooke
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I just finished reading Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo which is an account from his four year old son about leaving his body during surgery and visiting heaven. What an amazing story!

Any Christians here should definitely read it and if you're not a Christian, you might be by the time you're done! No kidding!

The little boy tells about things in heaven that he has never been told about before, so how did he come up with it if it didn't happen?! Food for thought.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I read it last year and It was a good and intresting read. I dont have my copy any more I passed it on..

zeldabjr
10-23-2012, 06:47 PM
wow that book sounds like one I'll have to put on my list...

Grey Sadler
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
That one is definitely on my list, Brooke--I have my mom's copy. She really enjoyed it!

I'm now reading...surprise, surprise, To The Limit by Marc Eliot.
Is there a review thread for that book? I'm only up to Chapter 5 or so, and my OCD is reeeeealllly kicking in...just sayin'...

Tiffanny Twisted
10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
That one is definitely on my list, Brooke--I have my mom's copy. She really enjoyed it!

Is there a review thread for that book? I'm only up to Chapter 5 or so, and my OCD is reeeeealllly kicking in...just sayin'...

Amy,
I am re reading that one too right now. I am just so slow with it cause I have been so busy with crafts for the church.
Its really not a bad book ,,,,,,:-?

after that its the last book in the grey series and the heart book on the night stand.
Also bought the book about JIm Croce and its signed by both the authors, his wife and the other guy,,,her new hubby.

Freypower
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031

This doesn't only talk about To The Limit.

TimothyBFan
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Just received 2 emails from Amazon overnight--- My new Rod Stewart and Jimmy Page books have been shipped!!!! I think Jimmy has to be first to read.:thumbsup:

Brooke
10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Just received 2 emails from Amazon overnight--- My new Rod Stewart and Jimmy Page books have been shipped!!!! I think Jimmy has to be first to read.:thumbsup:

Really? Now how did you decide that? :wink: :hilarious:

zeldabjr
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Rod Stewart was on Jimmy Kimmel last night....talking about his book...I decided I think I want it!

Troubadour
10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm reading 'Hunted: Time To Run' by Emlyn Rees at the moment. It's brilliant! It grips you from the first page. Perfect if you want a fast-paced page-turner that features London and various characters involved in intelligence and covert operations. A fantastic thriller.

zeldabjr
10-27-2012, 01:44 AM
oh Lou that sounds like a good one!

TimothyBFan
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I just finished reading Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo which is an account from his four year old son about leaving his body during surgery and visiting heaven. What an amazing story!

Any Christians here should definitely read it and if you're not a Christian, you might be by the time you're done! No kidding!

The little boy tells about things in heaven that he has never been told about before, so how did he come up with it if it didn't happen?! Food for thought.

A friend bought me this book shortly after my Mom died last year. It's no secret to most who know me, that I question Christianity, faith, etc... and she felt that maybe it might make me do some thinking, which it did. I passed it on also.

Grey Sadler
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Still reading To The Limit...and I need to get it back to the library by next Tuesday, but for some reason I feel compelled to dig Bram Stoker's Dracula back out...:p

zeldabjr
10-29-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm reading 'Hunted: Time To Run' by Emlyn Rees at the moment. It's brilliant! It grips you from the first page. Perfect if you want a fast-paced page-turner that features London and various characters involved in intelligence and covert operations. A fantastic thriller.

our library system doesn't have this book...so I just ordered a "like new" copy from Amazon for 99 cents!...I love Amazon

Troubadour
10-29-2012, 10:44 PM
That's great, Zelda! Hope you enjoy it. I'm an Amazon fan too. Fantastic for books!

WalshFan88
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Just finished the Heart book.... Very good!!!!!!! On boring days I can get through a book in a couple days at most.

Topkat
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I finally got several books in to read.

The first one I'm starting is "I'm With The Band" by Pamela Des Barres. She was a famous "supergroupie" (in her own words) and "knew" Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Keith Moon, etc etc etc. It ought to be...interesting! :hilarious:

Then after that I start the Heart book, then a couple others I'll talk about when I get to reading them.

Austin, I'm curious, what did you think of "I'm with the Band" ??? I read that several years ago. I can't imagine what kind of a life Miss Pamela had! WOW she slept with every rock star in the book! I can't see a guy reading this!!!:hilarious: I was so jealous of her!

prayfordaylight
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Just finished Pete Townshend's book. If you're a Who fan, I highly recommend it.

zeldabjr
12-08-2012, 03:32 AM
just curious...has anyone read War and Peace?...I was talking with a friend about this book....and we were saying neither of us can think of anyone we actually know who has read it!....always have heard about it though...I read Anna Karenina, that's about as close as I've gotten to War and Peace!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
just curious...has anyone read War and Peace?...I was talking with a friend about this book....and we were saying neither of us can think of anyone we actually know who has read it!....always have heard about it though...I read Anna Karenina, that's about as close as I've gotten to War and Peace!

I started it in high school as a class project. Fortunately, the teacher changed her mind a couple of weeks into it.

sodascouts
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I read it when I was getting my master's degree... it was required for class.

Freypower
12-08-2012, 05:04 PM

In my opinion it is the greatest book ever written. I have read it approximately 7 times & I try to do so every couple of years. Anna Karenina is also up there.

VA, you say 'fortunately' your teacher changed her mind, but you missed out on a great deal about the human experience.

The fact is though, that if you are not used to reading 'serious' literature, it probably is not for you. You need to have started with something like Austen & even Hardy before you get on to Tolstoy & the other Russians.

WalshFan88
12-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Austin, I'm curious, what did you think of "I'm with the Band" ??? I read that several years ago. I can't imagine what kind of a life Miss Pamela had! WOW she slept with every rock star in the book! I can't see a guy reading this!!!:hilarious: I was so jealous of her!

Hahaha.. I had to buy it just for my book collection alone because of the "legendary" factor. I found it pretty interesting, that said there were some parts I just skipped over that were boring to me or too girly. :hilarious: That said, it was interesting to say the least to read some of those stories. ;) That said, I probably won't reread it like I have many other books.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
In my opinion it is the greatest book ever written. I have read it approximately 7 times & I try to do so every couple of years. Anna Karenina is also up there.

VA, you say 'fortunately' your teacher changed her mind, but you missed out on a great deal about the human experience.

The fact is though, that if you are not used to reading 'serious' literature, it probably is not for you. You need to have started with something like Austen & even Hardy before you get on to Tolstoy & the other Russians.

I've read Anna Karenina twice, and I've read all of Austen. I read a lot of serious literature, but I'm sorry, 10th grade at 2pm (when the lunchtime sugar levels plummet) is not a time for War and Peace. Oh, not to mention there were boys to check out, and that was always more important! She attempted The Grapes of Wrath that year, too.

At the moment, I'm about a quarter of the way into Wolf Hall: A Novel by Hilary Mantel, and will follow it up with the sequel Bring Up The Bodies: A Novel.

Freypower
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I've read Anna Karenina twice, and I've read all of Austen. I read a lot of serious literature, but I'm sorry, 10th grade at 2pm (when the lunchtime sugar levels plummet) is not a time for War and Peace. Oh, not to mention there were boys to check out, and that was always more important! She attempted The Grapes of Wrath that year, too.

At the moment, I'm about a quarter of the way into Wolf Hall: A Novel by Hilary Mantel, and will follow it up with the sequel Bring Up The Bodies: A Novel.

Well, perhaps you should give War & Peace another try now that you're older. I agree that 10th grade was probably too early. I read it first when I was about 17, I think. I had already read Anna Karenina.

I also read Wolf Hall & have Bring Up The Bodies waiting for me, because that is 'my' period in history.

Troubadour
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm still working my way through 'Wolf Hall' - I haven't had as much time to read as I'd have liked lately! Having said that, if there's an upside to being off sick for a couple of days it's that I can catch up with some reading. I'm almost halfway through Lars Kelper's 'The Hypnotist' at the moment. It is dark and quite disturbing, but such a good thriller - it grips you from the first page and doesn't let go. If you enjoy dark crime thrillers, definitely give this a go - but it's not for the faint of heart.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
im still reading the heart book ann and nancy eilson

zeldabjr
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I just got my copy of War and Peace in the mail...lol...looking at it..I know what I'm gonna be doing all of2013!

Freypower
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I just got my copy of War and Peace in the mail...lol...looking at it..I know what I'm gonna be doing all of2013!

Let me know how you go because it is worth the effort.

WalshFan88
12-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Just a heads up - for those who like 80s hard rock/"hair metal", the lead singer of RATT (Stephen Pearcy) is doing an autobiography. Really like that band.

Here is the preorder link, but note that it won't be out til next May.

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Drugs-Ratt-Roll-Life/dp/1451694563/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356003150&sr=1-2&keywords=ratt

TimothyBFan
12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Holy crap, Austin!!! I'm so glad you're always on these things. I placed my pre-order. I LOVE Stephen Pearcy!!! Have you ever heard any of his solo stuff? GOOOOOOD stuff. His cd Before & Laughter is my favorite of his.

WalshFan88
12-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I haven't heard his solo stuff - but now I will check it out. I love RATT... Round and Round, Lay It Down, Lack Of Communication, etc etc etc. Saw them a few years ago in Peoria.

sodascouts
12-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I just finished Lady of the Rivers, a historical novel about the period leading up to the Wars of the Roses by Phillippa Gregory. Although I'm fascinated by the period, it's not her best work. Perhaps it's because the book is a prequel to The White Queen, but the ending just peters out and and there wasn't much of a climax. It's entertaining for those who like period fiction of this sort, but it's nothing next to her best books like The Other Boleyn Girl. I recommend it only for those who are starved for fiction about this time period, as there isn't nearly as much written about it as there is about the Tudors a couple generations later.

Grey Sadler
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Although I told myself I needed to reread The Hobbit, I just started No Regrets by Ace Frehley...ack! :nahnah:

EagleLady
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I bought Peter's book on my Kindle Fire HD. Havent read much of it yet though.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I finally finished the heart /wilson sisters book....

I did enjoy them on the kennedy center honors last nite singing stairway to heaven.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
I am reading a book called the dressmaker and I am really enjoying it

Tiffanny Twisted
03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
well, right now I am re reading the "to the limit " eagles book. i am enjoying it again.

Also reading " silver linings playbook " after seeing the movie......

anybody got any sugestions...I got a 20% off coupon at barnes and noble this week to use

Grey Sadler
03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I couldn't finish Ace's book in time to go back to the library...I suppose I should look for it at the local used bookstore...lol...

I'm re-reading Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher...this makes 9 times!! It's about ten years in the life of a girl in Cornwall as the world progresses through WW2...very sweet.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-10-2013, 12:25 AM
thanks for the suggestion . I will check it out.
I just found a cute book for the baby...about Martin the guitar...it comes with a cd.....Lukes grandpop who passed , was a guitar player so I think I will order it for him and save it for his christening. even thought I bought a special card for my godson, his momma is going to request books with messages written in them instead of cards ....that way when she reads the book they can read the message and remember the person who gave it to them. did I tell you he loves to be read too??
:heart:

WalshFan88
03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Just an update for the rock bio fans out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Nothin-Lose-Making-KISS-1972-1975/dp/0062131729/ref=pd_sim_b_57

That is a new book about KISS with Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons with Ken Sharp.

Also, the Stephen Pearcy book now has a cover and release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Drugs-Ratt-Roll-Life/dp/1451694563/ref=pd_sim_b_98

Grey Sadler
03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Just an update for the rock bio fans out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Nothin-Lose-Making-KISS-1972-1975/dp/0062131729/ref=pd_sim_b_57

That is a new book about KISS with Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons with Ken Sharp.

SWEET!!!! Despite the September release date...but that's my favorite era for KISS!!
Thanks for the heads-up, Austin!!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
I couldn't finish Ace's book in time to go back to the library...I suppose I should look for it at the local used bookstore...lol...

I'm re-reading Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher...this makes 9 times!! It's about ten years in the life of a girl in Cornwall as the world progresses through WW2...very sweet.

I've read this!! I've also read September and The Shell Seekers. I'm not sure I remember them, but I do remember Coming Home!

Grey Sadler
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I've read this!! I've also read September and The Shell Seekers. I'm not sure I remember them, but I do remember Coming Home!

It just has such a good plot...I try to read the other of RP's "Big" books (including Winter Solstice), but if anything, I manage to read Coming Home every year...I blame David McCallum--I wanted to get the plot of the book before I saw him in the miniseries :laugh:

Funny story--my mom got me a newer copy as an Easter present, but I said "Don't take this wrong, I love it...but I really want it in hardback. Can we trade it in for the Carter Family book I wanted for Christmas??" It didn't bother her at all, so we took it back to Barnes & Noble today, and I am now 1/3 of the way through Don't Forget This Song, which is the story of the Carter Family as a graphic novel :thumbsup:

Brooke
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I really loved RP's Shell Seekers and Winter Solstice! Great reads! Looks like I need to check out some more of hers!

WalshFan88
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Preorder notification:

Lou Gramm of Foreigner's autobio:

http://www.amazon.com/Juke-Box-Hero-Five-Decades/dp/1600787592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364941403&sr=1-1&keywords=jukebox+hero

Tiffanny Twisted
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
THANKS AUSTIN

WalshFan88
04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
You are welcome. :)

TimothyBFan
04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Oh geez!!! Another one on my pre-order list. I now have 3 or 4 coming. I think the next one due is next month--Steven Pearcy of Ratt.

Thanks for the heads up, Austin.

Brooke
05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking of getting Anna Karenina to read, but it seems there are several different versions available.

Fp or Soda, I think you both have mentioned here that you recommend it. Which would be best?

WalshFan88
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I like reading but books other than guitar, music, or rock autobio books don't seem to keep my attention. In other words, serious books don't appeal to me much. :D Nor do fiction books.

I'm waiting anxiously for the Joe Perry (of Aerosmith) book which is yet to be even dated as to a release. I've read Steven Tyler's and Joey Kramer's autobios and the Walk This Way book about the band but I want to hear it from my favorite Aero member, Joe Perry... Not that I'll be biased to his side but just to here it. Steven and Joe are the biggest of the 5 members and I'd like to compare what they say. They have had a very, very intense "relationship" in Aerosmith.

Grey Sadler
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Well...I got a little serious with the last book I read...Science Formative Assessment :lol:

WalshFan88
05-09-2013, 04:05 PM
:hilarious:

sodascouts
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I've been thinking of getting Anna Karenina to read, but it seems there are several different versions available.

Fp or Soda, I think you both have mentioned here that you recommend it. Which would be best?

I recommend the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation: http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0143035002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231873513&sr=1-1

But the story, while compelling, is too dark to be a favorite of mine.

Freypower
05-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, it's a favourite of mine, though it doesn't have the broad sweep of War & Peace. Tolstoy's psychological insight is astounding. I have the Penguin Classics edition.

zeldabjr
05-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I actually have read Anna Karenina...when it was the Oprah Book Club pick...it was excellent...my version is the Penguin Classics edition...go for it Brooke!!!

Prettymaid
05-10-2013, 08:33 PM
I actually have read Anna Karenina...when it was the Oprah Book Club pick...it was excellent...my version is the Penguin Classics edition...go for it Brooke!!!

I did the Oprah Book a club for awhile. I read some good books.

Here's a short list:

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb
I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb
Where the Heart Is - Billie Letts
The Book of Ruth - Jane Hamilton
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Songs In Ordinary Time - Mary McGarry Morris
White Oleander - Janet Fitch

zeldabjr
05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
thanks for this list PM...I'll check them out...

zeldabjr
05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm very ashamed to say that I have yet to start the copy of War and Peace I bought...seems soooo daunting..

Freypower
05-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm very ashamed to say that I have yet to start the copy of War and Peace I bought...seems soooo daunting..

Just dive in & once you get past the historical background in the first chapter you won't be able to put it down.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 07:58 AM
well I just finished "Dont GO" by Lisa Scottoline
and I couldnt put it down...great read....
Bout a doc who is serving in the war and his wife dies back home and he has a little baby to take care of .....just so many twists and turns when he thinks that his wife might have been murdered...
Now I am reading SIlver linings playbook...even though I have seen the movie twice I am enjoying the book.

I know I should read classis but at this time in my life with all that is going on I need light things to read...
tt

TimothyBFan
05-13-2013, 08:54 AM
I did the Oprah Book a club for awhile. I read some good books.

Here's a short list:

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

One of the best books ever written!!!!!

I received Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll by Stephen Pearcy over the weekend. Can't wait to start it but have a couple more books before it.

Brooke
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok, thanks everyone!

Brooke
05-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I recommend the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation: http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0143035002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231873513&sr=1-1

I have the Penguin Classics edition.

Ok ladies, so what's the difference?

Freypower
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok ladies, so what's the difference?

I know nothing about the one Soda recommended so I can't tell you. I would only say that Penguin is extremely reputable.

sodascouts
05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
It's nothing major, but the translation I prefer stays truer to Tolstoy's original tone with its word choice. I'm sure you'd enjoy the Penguin version as well.

zeldabjr
06-03-2013, 02:02 AM
can anyone recommend a good all around vegetarian cookbook???

glenneaglesfan
06-03-2013, 06:08 AM
I have an old but well used book by Sarah Brown, which still appears to be available today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarah-Browns-Vegetarian-Cookbook-Brown/dp/0863182658

I particularly recommend the recipes for hummus and pesto.

SallyGee
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I have a few by Linda McCartney that I like.

Brooke
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I've decided to take a break from deep reading and am on "I'm With The Band"! :lol:

Houston Baby
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I've decided to take a break from deep reading and am on "I'm With The Band"! :lol:

I like light, mindless reading during the summer. Let me know how you like the book Brooke. I have always wondered about that one.

zeldabjr
06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
I like light, mindless reading during the summer. Let me know how you like the book Brooke. I have always wondered about that one.

me too...curious to see how you like it...

Skpx
06-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Me three... I call it brain candy... Love my beach novels... Well desert novels in my case...8-)

TimothyBFan
06-13-2013, 06:59 AM

I dislike this book with a passion. Pamela De Barres just irritates the crap out of me!! :hilarious: I've read lots of "groupie" books and have liked them but, in my opinion, Pamela just goes on and on about everyone she's slept with and how "nice" they all were, how she fell in love with all of them, etc.... to much fluff for me. It's nothing more than a teenage diary. I want the dirt and refuse to believe they were all so nice-- we all know better than that. I think she got more of kick out of the fact that she could name drop than anything. I almost feel sorry for her because it's as if she needed to sleep with these famous rock stars to validate herself. I never felt that way when I read some of the other "groupie" books.

Just my opinion tho. I'll be anxious to hear what you think of it, Brooke.

Brooke
06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
I read it a couple years ago, just needed something 'light' and it was handy!

Yeah, pretty much a teenage diary, but interesting to me how she just flitted all over LA as such a young girl. What were her parents thinking?

TBF, what other groupie books did you like? I also read Wonderful Tonight by Patty Boyd.

WalshFan88
09-03-2013, 08:47 AM
FYI - Graham Nash has a new memoir coming out called Wild Tales. Sounds awesome. Love reading those! :hilarious:

MaryCalifornia
09-03-2013, 07:21 PM
can anyone recommend a good all around vegetarian cookbook???

Hi Z - I know this request is from 3 months ago, but I just saw it. I've been a vegetarian for 14 years. Do you know that movie "Babe" about the pig? I have a book called "Babe's Country Cookbook" - it's a cute concept - after Babe wins the sheep herding contest, Farmer Hoggett and his wife turn vegetarian. I love the pine nut/asparagus risotto! - You can see the book on this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Babes-Country-Cookbook-Complete-Meat-Free/dp/1577193547/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378250336&sr=1-1&keywords=Babe%27s+country+cookbook

Mary

Tiffanny Twisted
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey is that gluten free?ihave a wheat allergy
Thanks. Tt

MaryCalifornia
09-04-2013, 12:57 AM
TT,

Yes, the pine nut/asparagus risotto would be gluten free - no wheat! I can put the recipe in the What's for Dinner thread if you want!

Mary

Ive always been a dreamer
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I know I'd appreciate that, MC. It sounds very yummy!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-21-2013, 07:44 PM
I just finished a very good book called "the husbands secret" .
It was on the people magazine recommended list and I hear on the best seller list.
I really enjoyed it. I was expecting the secret to be something to do with an affair but that's wasn't it at all..I couldn't put this book down and was surprised by how she ended the story.
great read recommend it highly

Tiffanny Twisted
11-09-2013, 12:27 PM
ok now I am on to lisa scottoline accused

SallyGee
11-17-2013, 09:03 PM
I have read a few books by Lisa Scottoline and enjoyed them. But I started reading Don't Go and had to stop. It was just too sad!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Sallygee,
It was something I could not put down.
It was so different from what others she had written.
Her first "man" book.
This one is back to bennie and her lawyers.

My fave of hers is devils corner but its for personal reasons.
and to make you laugh, I loved courting trouble by my MIL did not .
She love the one with the pigeons in it and that one got on my nerves at times lol sorry lisa.
If you wanna laugh then try her why my third hubby will be a dog
or meet me at emotional baggage. shrot funny stories.,

I just have been uber busy this past few days and when I had time today to read , both nooks were dead ...oh well guess I gotta remember to charge them lol:hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2013, 09:15 PM
yep . I do.
She is also a friend ,I am blessed.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
yep and yep its cool and as I said, it is I who is blessed to know her. She is a great woman .

zeldabjr
11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
just wondering if anyone has gotten Linda Ronstadt's book yet...

Brooke
11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Got it and read it, Z. I noted a few things in Linda's thread. It's a good, easy read, but lots about music that I know nothing about.

Here's the link: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=253672#post253672

Tiffanny Twisted
11-18-2013, 08:31 PM
read it and enjoyed it easy read Zelda
its on my nook maybe I can lend it to you???

zeldabjr
11-18-2013, 11:54 PM
thanks tt...that would be great...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-19-2013, 07:44 PM
ok gotta figure out how to do that. let me look in to it tomorrow
I feel kinda foggy brained and not clear minded tonight going to lay down now not feeling well

deb828
11-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Got it and read it, Z. I noted a few things in Linda's thread. It's a good, easy read, but lots about music that I know nothing about.

Here's the link: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=253672#post253672
I got it from the library. I was disappointed there was so little personal information--was anyone else? Some of the names and dates I just skimmed over....

zeldabjr
11-19-2013, 09:55 PM
ok gotta figure out how to do that. let me look in to it tomorrow
I feel kinda foggy brained and not clear minded tonight going to lay down now not feeling well

oh no hurry tt!!...sorry you're not feeling well...hope you feel better tomorrow!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-04-2013, 08:19 PM
finished the lisa acottoline book accused

it was very good and I really enjoyed reading it:computer:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Being so busy at work has been bad for my reading habit! When I do have time to read, my mind is usually so tired I stick to books that require little to no thought. Recently, though, I decided to reread The Great Gatsby. I hadn't read it since early high school, and figured that since there was yet another movie based on the book, it was a goof time to reread it. I definitely understood more this time around.

Yesterday and today, I read Bel Canto. I'd never read it before, it was a very odd book with an even odder ending. It was a good read, though.

WalshFan88
06-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Just started Paul Stanley's new autobio, and am REALLY looking forward to the new Joe Perry autobio out in October!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Just finished Washington's Spies, a book about the first spy ring employed by the US. Very informative if you're into that sort of thing. Last week, Amazon sent me an email with a list of over 300 book over 85% off. I bought at least twenty of them on Kindle (most were $0.99). Will likely try one of them next...

Tiffanny Twisted
06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
yep trying to catch up on my reading here too

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Just finished an autobiography. My Last Fight: The True Story of a Hockey Rock Star. It's the story of Darren McCarty who played most of his career with the Detroit Red Wings. It was an interesting book. I had heard of a band called The Grinders, never knew that one of them was a hockey player. Like most of these books, it talks about the rise of a career, riding the highs of the career, and the eventual end of the career. All of the things that go with it, the people who use you for money, the drug and alcohol addictions, the women who pathetically do and say anything in order to get into a bed with a hockey player. The broken marriages, the infidelities, the distance with the children. The difference is this guy hasn't broken away from all his demons and admits it. He's still a work in progress.

He worked for Versus for a while and that's where I remember him from, and he lost his job when NBC took them over. All I can say is...they got rid of McCarty and kept Mike Milbury. Why?? I feel another letter to NBC Sports coming on. I swear they keep Milbury on just to set me off. McCarty never said any of that in his book, for all I know he likes Milbury. But, that's the thought that was in my head as I finished the book.

I was surprised our guys got a very small mention. The band The Grinders had broken up and then reunited, like the Eagles. Hmm...not exactly, but the Grinders getting back together was that important to him personally, so I'll give him a pass on that one.

Grey Sadler
06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Last 3 books I read:
Simple Dreams, Linda Ronstadt
No Regrets, Ace Frehley (Ack!!)
Rosalind Franklin and DNA, a science biography

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I still keep meaning to get Linda's book! I don't want it on Kindle, I want the 'real' thing.

You didn't like No Regrets?

Grey Sadler
06-21-2014, 10:21 PM
I still keep meaning to get Linda's book! I don't want it on Kindle, I want the 'real' thing.

You didn't like No Regrets?

Oh no, it was pretty good...but when I read autobiographies, if I know what the author's voice sounds like, that's how I hear it read. Ace went around making that ACK noise very frequently during the 70s (and later--it is very prominent in the KISS Meets the Phantom movie)...he is, not surprisingly, a little scathing when he refers to Gene & Paul at times...but a good read!

Tiffanny Twisted
06-22-2014, 09:41 AM
I read lindas book but it is on my nook

I read lisa scottoline's latest and it was a quick read very good. "Keep Quiet"

now I am on to my "beach read" type books from elin hildenbrant and Nancy Thayer

zeldabjr
06-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I just finished reading the Flowers in the Attic series...didn't realize it was a series when I read the first one...so I had to read the other four!!!...had always heard of this book but had never read it before...it was really good but man that family was so screwed up!!! next up...I think...Pride and Prejudice...

Lisa
06-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Sounds funny, but I've been re-reading and blocking through (setting into disparate blocks of lines) stanzaic segments of John Keats' "Endymion," "Hyperion," and "The Fall of Hyperion." I'm piecing at the thematic unifying devices from the first theme through the three books, and I'm thinking about other types of syntactical elements.

Seems less funny: I think I might look at the new "Washington's Spies."

sodascouts
06-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Interesting! I'm teaching Keats in my English Literature II course. Do you want to share some of your insights?

Lisa
06-24-2014, 08:56 AM
I'll have too look at my notes. I wrote a little outline with a few thoughts on Keats, but I don't have it with me--the outline has a few of my own ideas about the two lyric Romantic Poets, who are traditionally John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I've noticed a number of couplets organized by in "Endymion" that seem intended for muse, Fanny.

Theme one of "Endymion," "A thing of beauty is a joy forever,...--to period is derived from the (King James) Bible's psalms, paraphrased and newly worded. Its exposition draws from mostly John Milton and William Shakespeare to paint the words. Most of the big blocks of writing are derived from Milton's "Paradise Lost." The changes in usage into the triplet and sextuplet within the stanza often are segments that paraphrase and rewrite ideas and lines from William Shakespeare.

Endymion is a lesser god, a minor figure out of the Greek myths. He is literal in his prior existence. Ditto; Hyperion; who is also a minor god in the Greek pantheon.

I hope this is helpful. I'll think about this.

For fun Inspiration: PBShelley, Prometheus Unbound: Act III, Scene iv, line 190--The Spirit of the Hour: "The painted veil, by those who were, called life," (Idea of life as we know it veiling the platonic ideal of the concrete world around us.)

sodascouts
06-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I see! Regarding this:

Theme one of "Endymion," "A thing of beauty is a joy forever,...--to period is derived from the (King James) Bible's psalms, paraphrased and newly worded. Its exposition draws from mostly John Milton and William Shakespeare to paint the words. Most of the big blocks of writing are derived from Milton's "Paradise Lost."

If you're trying to tie in more Romantic poets, Blake was obsessed with Milton. He even did some engravings for a version of Paradise Lost. Then again, I suppose adding too many authors might dilute your analysis. I've always loved Milton so it interests me very much when people talk about his influence on the poets of the Romantic era.

Lisa
06-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Me, too. I admire Milton's grand design and flowing elocution. Thanks for the note about William Blake. ? ("Tyger, Tyger...") . I'll have to look for the material connecting him to editions of Milton.

Lisa
06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
English Literature II sounds like a fun class! You must get to cover a lot by the time the term winds down! I was thinking that you were going to give a course entirely on Keats(!) Now I can see what you mean.

sodascouts
06-24-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd love to teach a course entirely on Keats, but surveys of English Literature are much more popular amongst students! It is definitely fun to teach, though.

Lisa
06-24-2014, 09:30 PM
That's a lot of preparation--your class will go well!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Just finished reading "Welcome to My Jungle: An Unauthorized Account of How a Regular Guy Like Me Survived Years of Touring With Guns N' Roses, Pet Wallabies, Crazed Groupies, ...One of the Greatest Rock Bands of All Time" by Craig Duswalt.

Craig was Axl's assistant and the book doesn't get into the personalities or interactions between band members at all. It was still interesting, but now I must read Duff and Slash's books as well.

SallyGee
06-29-2014, 08:38 PM
I was at the library looking for something to read. This title caught my eye - Apart at the Seams. On the inside cover, it said she fell in love at first sight with a lean, longhaired bass player. That did it. I checked it out, and it was really good.

zeldabjr
06-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I was at the library looking for something to read. This title caught my eye - Apart at the Seams. On the inside cover, it said she fell in love at first sight with a lean, longhaired bass player. That did it. I checked it out, and it was really good.

omg you crack me up!!!...I'll have to look that book up!!! :hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
06-30-2014, 06:41 PM
ok its on my list now lol

so do you think the author is a tbs fan??

I finished the matchmacker

good book.
i love her books

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
I just finished The Man Who Seduced Hollywood: The Life and Loves of Greg Bautzer, Tinseltown's Most Powerful Lawyer. It was an interesting read. Definitely a man who worked hard and played hard, and he definitely had a way with the ladies.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
I finished "Sports Illustrated 50 Years of Great Writing: 1954 - 2004 50th Anniversary" by the Editors of SI. Apparently, their idea of great writing differs from mine. Some were good, others were either boring or pointless.

I also read what I usually call 'smut books', aka Romance, and disappointingly enough there was no 'smut'! It's all good, though, Sherryl Woods writes interesting books, and while she follows the rules of romance (two people, a big conflict they surmount, happy ever after), she's a lot less predictable than other romance writers.

Now I'm reading "Queen Victoria's Youngest Son: The Untold Story of Prince Leopold" I'm about a third of the way through and so far it's interesting.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Just finished "Nantucket sisters by nancy Thayer

""have a nice guilt trip "by lisa scottoline and francescia serratella.
It was picked as a top ten roadtrip book by oprah and beach read for the summer from People Magazine this week

""Match maker "by elin hildenbrandt "

Now I am reading 'Never give up " by Nobel L Thompson Jr MD"
he is a retired doc at our hospital and the radiology dept was giving out his books for anyone who wanted to "borrow " it for two weeks so I am humping to finish it.

I have a pre order coming out on tues so am looking forward to that one too.

tjh532
08-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Definitely going to look for that one! Lol

I just finished reading Sold by Patricia McCormick. It's about a young Nepalese girl who's step father sells her into prostitution after their crop fails. It's horrific and amazing all at once. Thankfully, it isn't as graphic as it could have been, but there are parts that just made me cry. It's a powerful book.

DJ
08-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Just finished Heaven is for Real- Todd Burpo
It was good, I totally believe there is life after death

Brooke
08-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Just finished Heaven is for Real- Todd Burpo
It was good, I totally believe there is life after death

LOVED that book! I totally believe the whole story, but my hubby is skeptical that it's all true. I haven't seen the movie, but want to.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Yep great book

sodascouts
08-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm a Christian and if that book makes people want to know more about Jesus, I'm all for it. I don't think the child is lying, or they're trying to scam anyone.

That said...

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. The movie had a lot of feel good tropes that are nowhere to be found in the Bible - most notably, the idea that while Heaven is for real, Hell is not - and I left hoping that people weren't taking it as Biblical truth. However, I don't know how reflective the movie's mentality is of the book's stance on the afterlife. Does the book make it clear that those who have rejected Christ are not going to be experiencing that beautiful place his son describes?

WalshFan88
08-07-2014, 03:43 AM
Right now I'm most looking forward to Joe Perry's (of Aerosmith fame) new autobio to be out in October. We've read the band autobio and Steven's personal autobio - I think it's time for Joe (the other toxic twin!) to get his story out.

I've always liked Joe Perry. To me he seemed to be a cool introverted rockstar that was a bit on the quiet side but let himself come out of his shell with his guitar onstage and be Mr. Cool, yet if you read interviews or watch videos of him and Steven, Steven does the talking and the small talk. Joe just keeps to himself yet still manages to say what's on his mind. I dig that. And I think he has the best stage persona, next to Mr. Page. In fact I think Jimmy is much like Joe, much quieter than Robert and a bit of an introvert yet still dominates the stage. I think Page, Perry, and Slash all have similar identifiable stage antics yet all very different but it's obvious that it's a chain thing starting with Page who was Perry's idol, and Perry who was Slash's idol. I think Slash is a bit more social than Page or Perry though, and a bit more of a talker.

I hope I'm not disappointed by his book. Between Steven's book and the Walk This Way book, I much prefer Walk This Way. I thought Steven came off kinda poorly in his autobio. I hope there is some geetar deets in Joe's book to go along with the excess stories and drama. :hilarious:

Brooke
08-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm a Christian and if that book makes people want to know more about Jesus, I'm all for it. I don't think the child is lying, or they're trying to scam anyone.

That said...

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. The movie had a lot of feel good tropes that are nowhere to be found in the Bible - most notably, the idea that while Heaven is for real, Hell is not - and I left hoping that people weren't taking it as Biblical truth. However, I don't know how reflective the movie's mentality is of the book's stance on the afterlife. Does the book make it clear that those who have rejected Christ are not going to be experiencing that beautiful place his son describes?

It's been a couple years since I read it, but I don't remember there being much talk about hell. It was mostly about what the boy saw in heaven and who was there. You should read the book. A very easy read and not long.

DJ
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
It's been a couple years since I read it, but I don't remember there being much talk about hell. It was mostly about what the boy saw in heaven and who was there. You should read the book. A very easy read and not long.

Agreed not much in the book about hell, and I don't think the boy lied either.

A quick story, when my son was about 5 at the dinner table one night he said I killed my first buck (deer) at 16 to help feed my family. I said what do you mean, he said my parents were killed and I had to help my brothers and sisters. Freaked me out, he had not seen anything about this as far as I know and especially at 5. Then this past weekend (he's 19 now) he reminded us of when he saw the White floating figure in his bedroom, when he was about the same age. I did rememeber him telling me about that, it's just kinda freaky.

Brooke
08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Yikes, DJ, very freaky!

zeldabjr
10-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Anyone read "Gone Girl"...I'd like to see the movie...but I think I want to read the book first...

UndertheWire
10-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Anyone read "Gone Girl"...I'd like to see the movie...but I think I want to read the book first...
I've read the book and won't bother with the film. Given the choice, I think I'd see the film first. My sister didn't get on with the book - she loves crime novels, particularly procedurals - whereas I thought it was an ok read but didn't live up to the hype.

WalshFan88
10-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Got the Joe Perry book today. Can't wait to read it...one of my biggest heroes.

The Disco Strangler
10-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Got the Joe Perry book today. Can't wait to read it...one of my biggest heroes.

I tried to download it this weekend, but Kobo wouldn't accept my coupon code. LOL. I guess I'll have to pay full price since I'm a Joe fan. Lemme know what you think of it!

zeldabjr
10-13-2014, 07:37 PM
my Jimmy Page book was shipped...can't wait!

WalshFan88
10-14-2014, 09:32 PM
I tried to download it this weekend, but Kobo wouldn't accept my coupon code. LOL. I guess I'll have to pay full price since I'm a Joe fan. Lemme know what you think of it!

Just finished it...

It was without a doubt the best rock autobio I've read. And I've got probably one of the largest library of them of anyone here.

Compared to Steven Tyler's book - it was about the most humble down to earth life story you could read. And compared to other rock autobio's, it's still extremely humble.

It's more about how he started out as a child and the progression from year to year and a true life story than a juicy tellall or a book that screams egocentric poor pitiful me self-victimization like Steven Tyler's book. It talks A LOT more about the band, creation of the music, and business dealings in the band than it does sex and drugs (although there is parts of that of course). It's much more mature in a way than most books I've read. He doesn't put most of the blame on the other guys (Steven especially), he takes some of the blame as well and while he does inject jabs at Steven or talks about him being hard to work with, they are much more lighthearted yet serious and not so childish. And he isn't making Steven out to be the bad guy all the time.

I have to say it was very well done and made me have that much more respect for Joe. I have to say, his book and Steven's are polar opposites in approach to writing and they way it comes off.

Perhaps Steven's is more of an exciting read for those who love juicy details and excess stories or just plain drama, but for a music lover and someone interested in the creation of Aerosmith's music and the fly on the wall stuff, Joe's book was more my style.

tjh532
11-16-2014, 11:42 AM

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I'm just catching up a little bit. I think the book is worth the read. I won't spoil any of it for you, but the beginning and middle are stronger than the end. Once it got going, I had a hard time putting it down. I would definitely read the book first.

zeldabjr
11-16-2014, 11:45 PM
I know this was posted awhile ago, but I'm just catching up a little bit. I think the book is worth the read. I won't spoil any of it for you, but the beginning and middle are stronger than the end. Once it got going, I had a hard time putting it down. I would definitely read the book first.

I did read the book...loved it..until the end...not so crazy about how it ended...

tjh532
11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
I did read the book...loved it..until the end...not so crazy about how it ended...

I know - I hated the ending! I just went "ugh!" a bit unrealistic, too.

zeldabjr
11-17-2014, 11:34 PM
I know - I hated the ending! I just went "ugh!" a bit unrealistic, too.

was so disappointed in the ending...now have no desire to see the movie...

WalshFan88
06-23-2015, 12:02 AM
So I haven't posted much about rock autobios and bios lately.

I have to say, it seems like I've ready every one of them and my favorite is Joe Perry's. IMO his is the most believable, and much more down to earth than Steven Tyler's. Steven played the victim card, and made it all about him and less about the band. I want life stories, but I also want to know stuff about the band. I got that from Joe's book. While he didn't take it easy on Steven, it seemed like he was willing to take at least a little bit of the blame, anyway. It was a joy to read and I plan to read it again.

There are very few books I haven't read yet. One is Scott Weiland's. I don't know if anyone has seen the "viral" video of him recently with his solo band but it's not looking good for Scott and his wellbeing. I really feel bad for him, and I know most of it is his fault but I guess I really admired his work with Velvet Revolver. I'm not an STP fan but to me he seemed doomed form the start. I'm going to be ordering his book soon from Amazon, as well as a book by a former GnR roadie about his life with the band in their heyday.

sodascouts
06-23-2015, 11:35 AM
I look forward to hearing what you think about those.

Sorry to hear Scott's looking poorly.

NightMistBlue
06-23-2015, 12:22 PM
I'll check out Joe "F'n" Perry's book. I enjoyed Steven's autobiography too - it was offensive in a few places (as one would expect, really), but also frequently hilarious and fascinating. His love of music comes through on every page. I was amazed at all the people/bands he met and opened for in his pre-Aerosmith career.

My next one up to bat is Carole King's "Natural Woman."

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I need to read more. I'm still on "Heaven is Under our Feet". I'm up to Robert Redford's essay. I've enjoyed most of it so far. (Bette Midler's was the worst. Wayy over the top).

As far as rock bios and autobios go, my favorites are Sammy Hagar's Red: my uncensored life in rock (note: very uncensored) and Free: Heavy Load.

I don't know what I'll read next. The library is too far away(nearest one is 16 miles away.) and I don't have a kindle, so I have to buy books when I can.

Brooke
06-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I liked Steven Tyler's book pretty well. Yes, very eye-opening, but it is Steven Tyler...... And I think he is such a talented song writer, or word smith, as he calls it, and what a wildman! Such an entertainer!

I will have to get Joe Perry's. Sounds interesting!

NightMistBlue
06-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Irving Azoff and the Eagles get a lot of mentions in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. Has anyone here read that? If the library has it, I may check it out - if only to pick out the references to our guys. I'm sure the author rakes them over the coals for their alleged greed.

AG, was Azoff mentioned in the Sammy Hagar book as well? It doesn't have an index, but the book came up in a search of Irving's name on Amazon.

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 02:48 PM
AG, was Azoff mentioned in the Sammy Hagar book as well? It doesn't have an index, but the book came up in a search of Irving's name on Amazon.

I think so. It's been awhile since I read the book. I'll have to skim over later tonight and get back to you on that.

L101
06-23-2015, 03:52 PM
I liked Steven Tyler's book pretty well. Yes, very eye-opening, but it is Steven Tyler...... And I think he is such a talented song writer, or word smith, as he calls it, and what a wildman! Such an entertainer!

I will have to get Joe Perry's. Sounds interesting!

After reading this, I've just bought Steven Tyler's book!! Yeahhhhh, a nice entertaining read to look forward to :thumbsup:

Brooke
06-23-2015, 04:39 PM
After reading this, I've just bought Steven Tyler's book!! Yeahhhhh, a nice entertaining read to look forward to :thumbsup:

I hope you like it, Lacken. Even though ST is such a crazy man, I love his music! And his life story is very entertaining!

NightMistBlue
06-23-2015, 04:57 PM
I think so. It's been awhile since I read the book. I'll have to skim over later tonight and get back to you on that.

Oh, don't bother - I finally remembered Azoff manages Van Halen, that's what the connection is. I don't suppose he has the same kind of close relationship that he does with Henley and Frey.

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Oh, don't bother - I finally remembered Azoff manages Van Halen, that's what the connection is. I don't suppose he has the same kind of close relationship that he does with Henley and Frey.

From what I remember in the book, I don't think so. I remember Sammy saying that his main job was to try and keep the peace and keep the Van Halen brothers sober.( I first read the book before I knew who Azoff was)

UndertheWire
06-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Irving Azoff and the Eagles get a lot of mentions in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. Has anyone here read that? If the library has it, I may check it out - if only to pick out the references to our guys. I'm sure the author rakes them over the coals for their alleged greed.
I've read part of that and he isn't too hard on the band. This is what I wrote in the Eagles books thread:

In Mansion on the Hill by Fred Goodman, there's a good chapter on the Eagles and their management problems. The author interviewed Glenn Frey, JD Souther, Don Henley, Ned Doheney, Irving Azoff, John Hartmann, Harlan Goodman, John Boylan, Paul Ahearn and others in 1992/1993. i've seen bits of it in other books, but this is the clearest and fullest account.
I have to admit that I've forgotten what it said.

NightMistBlue
06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Management problems... that must be when they had the throw-down with David Geffen to get their publishing returned to them.

UndertheWire
06-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Management problems... that must be when they had the throw-down with David Geffen to get their publishing returned to them.
It was the whole Elektra/Asylum merger, Geffen becoming less involved in management, lack of interest from Roberts and John Hartmann caught in the middle.

Meanwhile, my current rock star reading is an autobiography by Martin Turner, founder, original bassist and lead singer of Wishbone Ash, called "No Easy Road". It's self-published and, (I believe), self-written. His voice certainly comes through strongly and it's fairly well-written but doesn't always flow as well as books by professional writers. At other times, it's a good fit with Almost Famous with anecdotes of drug busts, equipment theft, scary plane flights and unruly audiences. There are also good descriptions of how songs were written. A nice touch is that throughout the book, there are sections written by the other people in the story and they give a more rounded picture. Turner comes across as down-to-earth, opinionated but decent. I'm liking him.

ETA: I haven't reached the acrimonious part of the band's history yet and having read a few reviews of the book, it's clearly a subject that gets fans of Andy Powell worked up. Since the book was published, there has been a court ruling on the use of the name "Wishbone Ash" in Powell's favour. The court documents for that were a good read.

AlreadyGone95
07-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Well, I'm taking a break from Heaven is Under our Feet. With the release of the "sequel", Go Set A Watchman, only a week away, I feel that I need to reread To Kill A Mockingbird to get acquainted with the characters.

I wanted to read Don Felder's Heaven and Hell, but the library was closed on Friday for the 4th :(.

zeldabjr
07-22-2015, 10:52 PM
I know I'm a little slow on the uptake with reading...but I just read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand...I read somewhere that Timothy read it..and called it "amazing"...so of course I had to go buy it...and it really was "amazing"...I guess they made a movie out of it last year...didn't even know that...has anyone out there read it?

AlreadyGone95
08-16-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm waiting to get Genesis' autobiography in, Chapter and Verse. While waiting on it (should be here next week), I'm going to reread 2 of my favorite books, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

Freypower
08-16-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm waiting to get Genesis' autobiography in, Chapter and Verse. While waiting on it (should be here next week), I'm going to reread 2 of my favorite books, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I didn't even KNOW about the Genesis book. Thank you AG.:faint:

AlreadyGone95
08-16-2015, 06:45 PM
I didn't even KNOW about the Genesis book. Thank you AG.:faint:

You're welcome FP! I didn't know about it either until a friend decided to sell his copy a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I can't wait to get my hands on it! USPS tracking says it should be here tomorrow! :partytime:

AlreadyGone95
08-17-2015, 12:01 PM
The Genesis book came in today. It's bigger than I expected, a paperback coffee table book! Full of photos! The quality and bigness(I can that's a word) of the photos is beyond belief. I'm blown away! Can't wait til tonight when I can do more than just skim the book.

Fp, I highly suggest that you get this book if you can, for the photos alone!

Freypower
08-17-2015, 05:51 PM
The Genesis book came in today. It's bigger than I expected, a paperback coffee table book! Full of photos! The quality and bigness(I can that's a word) of the photos is beyond belief. I'm blown away! Can't wait til tonight when I can do more than just skim the book.

Fp, I highly suggest that you get this book if you can, for the photos alone!

When I ordered it I could tell from the price that it would be a large format book. I now have a vague memory that I may have seen it several years ago & looked at it but didn't buy it. Now that I'm having this love affair with Genesis it seeems I need to have it.

DJ
08-26-2015, 08:56 PM

My son and I watched the movie out of curiosity and were both freaked out. It is not only a strange movie, it is very graphic. Neil Patrick Harris was in it and one of his scenes is absolutely gross. I would not recommend this movie. I do not think I can ever watch Rosamund Pike again. Bizarre/ Weird Alert.......

zeldabjr
08-26-2015, 09:19 PM
My son and I watched the movie out of curiosity and were both freaked out. It is not only a strange movie, it is very graphic. Neil Patrick Harris was in it and one of his scenes is absolutely gross. I would not recommend this movie. I do not think I can ever watch Rosamund Pike again. Bizarre/ Weird Alert.......

I hated the ending of the book...and after reading it...I had no desire to see the movie...lol

Brooke
08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
I watched it and agree it was pretty strange, but I liked it! I just look away when something icky is coming......

L101
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Well, I just finished Steven Tylers book - definitely an eye-opener...how he is still alive after the amount of drugs etc he took, is a mystery!! When he settled down in the book, (the wording at the start was a bit mad), it was an interesting and very entertaining read - all the bands they opened for, how he writes his songs, and performs. He is a very talented man but I have to read Joe Perry's book now to get the other side of the story. All in all, a good read and thanks to the Border Book Club for recommending it :thumbsup:

That's one thing that's missing from the Eagles. With Heaven and Hell, there is no counter-book to balance the stories and accusations from any of the other band members - they really are overdue their books at this point :)

AlreadyGone95
08-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Well, I just finished reading the Genesis- Chapter and Verse book. Basically, if you're a Genesis fan, read this book. It's told from the viewpoint of the members. Well worth the money, imo. (Based on the Amazon prices, I got a steal, paying $15 shipped). My only complaint would be that like the HOTE doc, the recent years don't get discussed alot. From 1982-present is covered in about 80 pages.

NightMistBlue
08-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Oh that's a shame. Thanks for the warning though - I dig Rosamund Pike and was going to rent the DVD just for her performance. I read the book and had mixed (mostly negative) feelings about it.

AlreadyGone95
08-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Since I'm in big sports mood (football, football :D), I'm going to reread a book my mom bought be a few years ago called Baseball's best 1,000 by Derek Gentile. He writes a paragraph or two about each player, plus he includes the stats (some are incomplete, especially if the player was a Negro League player). He also includes several pages about early baseball, the Negro League, and Women's baseball. A pretty good read for fans of American baseball.

Chipper Jones made the list at #322 :D.

AlreadyGone95
09-08-2015, 12:09 AM
My family held an auction at the reunion this year. We brought household items that we didn't want anymore, hoping that others would. The proceeds went toward next year's budget.

Well, there was 1 box and 2 bags of books. One box was full of books by my favorite author James Patterson. Most I already owned, but there was 1 that I didn't have, The 12th of Never(the 12th book in the Women's Murder Club series. I love that series!). Well, a sweet, elderly cousin bought the box(straight out, no bidding), but I had talked to her about the book, so she left it out for me to buy. When the auction came, most people knew that I wanted the book. I bid $10 and I got it! :yay:. I've read it before, but I plan on rereading it once I'm done with the baseball book.

The last item to be auctioned off was one of the bag of books. No one wanted it, so I bid $5 and I won. I was sitting next to one of my great aunts during the auction. After I bought the books, she asked me what kind of books I liked. I said murder, mystery, historical fiction/non fiction, drama, suspense (basically anything but romance). It turns out that the books were hers. She hoped that I would enjoy them. One book that I'm nearly positive I'll enjoy is Supreme Justice by Philip Margolin. On the front cover it says "a book of suspense". Perfect for me!

Now, the rest of these I'm not sure about. I'm going list them, and if anyone has read them or is familiar about the author, I'd like to know more(genres, if the book or author is good etc). The books that I don't think that I'll like, I'll give to one of grandmas.

So, the books:
Acts of Love by Judith Michael
A Tangled Web by Judith Michael
The Hellion Bride by Catherine Coulter
The Last Promise by Richard Paul Evans
Danger Zone by Shirley Palmer
Street Boys by Lorenzo Carcaterra
Not a Sparrow Falls by Linda Nichols
Family Ties by Danielle Steel
Dangerous to Know by Barbara Taylor Bradford
For the Roses by Julie Garwood

AlreadyGone95
10-13-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't know if anyone is familiar with the author Jeff Shaara. His dad Michael Shaara wrote my all time favorite novel, The Killer Angels(about the Battle of Gettysburg). Well Jeff decided to carry on what his dad was doing, and he wrote 2 books about the Civil War to cover the years before and after the Gettysburg battle, Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure. I love both books.
For the longest time, I thought that those were the only books Jeff Shaara had written. Well, I was wrong. He's written several other books, including 2 about the American Revolution. I was surprised and happy to find out that my county library has the first book, Rise to Rebellion. I checked it out this afternoon, and I can't wait to read it!

AlreadyGone95
10-28-2015, 03:37 PM
I've read the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the second book, The Glorious Cause, at another library close by. (I'm glad that most libraries in Georgia participate in PINES. It makes getting books easier). I got the book yesterday, and am enjoying it so far. :)

AlreadyGone95
11-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Well, I'm done with the second book. My mom had to go to the library yesterday for her foster mom, so I decided to tag along. My mom hates libraries and reading. She wanted to get the books for my grandma and leave quickly, so I knew that I couldn't browse the library like I wanted to. I decided, beforehand, that I needed to read some classics because I haven't read any since I read Bram Stoker's Dracula last year. I tend to avoid pre 19th century works, so I decided to read try some Charles Dickens' books. (I love A Christmas Carol, but it's all I've read of his works). The only book the library had was A Tale of Two Cities. I had tried reading that book before in 8th grade, but I didn't enjoy it, so I never finished it. (My teachers pushed me to read more challenging books, but it didn't work) I'll give it another chance now.

I also checked out Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles.(glad that Dickens and Doyle are close together alphabetically) I've read several of the Sherlock Holmes short stories, but never this novel, so I'm excited to read it.

AlreadyGone95
12-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm in the middle of reading alot of rock autobiographies at the moment. I just got done with Mick Fleetwood's, and am starting on Eric Clapton's. I also plan to read Ozzy Osbourne's, David Crosby's, and Aerosmith's before year's end.

WalshFan88
12-22-2015, 05:15 AM
All good books.

I have just about every rock autobio and will be finishing getting all of the ones I dont have on Christmas. John Fogerty's I need to read, as well as a couple others.

AlreadyGone95
12-26-2015, 11:53 PM
I enjoyed reading the books I mentioned a few weeks ago. They are great! I bought the Eric Clapton book because I liked it so much.

I'm now reading Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris. Surprisingly, despite being the huge Mac/Lindsey fan I am, I've yet to read the book.

AlreadyGone95
02-19-2016, 09:59 PM
I've taken a break from rock bios. I'm in the process of reading 3 books by the same author. I'm just starting on the second book. The author, Carolly Erickson, writes historical fictiom novels about some of the famous ladies in European history. They're told from a first person point of view, sort of like a diary. She is trying to breathe new life into characters that we in the modern world may see as stuffy or boring. The books I'm reading are about Catherine of Aragon (Henry VIII's first wife), Catherine Howard (Henry VIII's fifth wife), and Marie Antoinette (the famous French queen and wife of Louis XVI). I'm reading the books in chronological order.

After I read these books, I plan to read Black Dahila Avenger by Steve Hodel, which is cconsidered by many to be the book to read about the murder of Elizabeth Short (The Black Dahila). Hodel is the son of the most likely suspect in this about 7 decade old unsolved murder.

Then, I'll read Go Set A Watchman.

One thing about being sick is that I end up reading alot. ;)

NightMistBlue
03-01-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm now reading Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris. Surprisingly, despite being the huge Mac/Lindsey fan I am, I've yet to read the book.

What did you think of the book, AG? I think I've mentioned before that it made me dislike Lindsey (what kind of creep would hit Stevie Nicks, especially since she's a tiny 5'1"?!) but after awhile I guess I realized we can't really know what the truth is unless we were there, or have better evidence than just hearsay.

Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook of Joe Perry's autobiography, narrated by Mr. Perry himself. It's quite interesting and I absolutely adore New England accents. I don't know what it is, but just to hear him say "started" or "Harvard" or "armed guards" is a small thrill.

I read Steven Tyler's book about a year ago, so nothing in Joe's book is all that surprising, except for his passionate affair as a young man with Judy Carne.

It's also a refreshing change to read about a rock 'n roll guy who is a self-described "one woman man" and was not into the groupie thang - at least to hear him tell it.

AlreadyGone95
03-01-2016, 08:23 PM
What did you think of the book, AG? I think I've mentioned before that it made me dislike Lindsey (what kind of creep would hit Stevie Nicks, especially since she's a tiny 5'1"?!) but after awhile I guess I realized we can't really know what the truth is unless we were there, or have better evidence than just hearsay.

Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook of Joe Perry's autobiography, narrated by Mr. Perry himself. It's quite interesting and I absolutely adore New England accents. I don't know what it is, but just to hear him say "started" or "Harvard" or "armed guards" is a small thrill.

I read Steven Tyler's book about a year ago, so nothing in Joe's book is all that surprising, except for his passionate affair as a young man with Judy Carne.

It's also a refreshing change to read about a rock 'n roll guy who is a self-described "one woman man" and was not into the groupie thang - at least to hear him tell it.

I enjoyed the book. It was nice to read about the Fleetwood Mac happenings from an insider. To me, Lindsey came across as a guy of extremes. He could be extremely caring, but then become extremely scarey or extremely possessive.

NightMistBlue
03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Though it was a relatively small part of her book, I appreciated the vivid way Carol Ann wrote about Dennis Wilson. He was part of the otherwise all-female "Merry Widows" club of FM spouses and girlfriends who would hang out together while their other halves spent long hours in the recording studio. Dennis' joie de vivre came across very well - I could totally picture him trying to snort coke while driving a speeding convertible on a twisty L.A. road, with the wind blowing cocaine all over him and Dennis laughing his head off.

I'm at the part in the Joe Perry book now where he meets his future wife. It's sweet, but I can't believe Joe is so trusting (dumb?) that he still believes his wife never heard of Aerosmith. She grew up in Boston for Pete's sake. That would be like a Miamian claiming to have never heard of Gloria Estefan.

AlreadyGone95
03-02-2016, 11:33 PM
I just got done reading Go Set A Watchman a little while ago. Unlike most people, I enjoyed the book, though not as much as Mockingbird. It's weird that in some ways, Atticus is portrayed as an antagonist. I also don't understand why Jem was killed off. Also, the change in narration. Mockingbird is written in first person point of view, with Scout providing the narration, whereas Watchman is written in the third person point of view, from a third person. I would recommend fans of Mockingbird to read this book, to see a different set of equality problems through an adult Scout's eyes.

I'm now going to read Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I've gotten hooked on her books. I also have several other various books from the library to read over the next month or so.

NightMistBlue
03-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Can you believe I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. She's definitely going on my list.

AG, did you read Steven Tyler's book? I don't remember what he had to say about their former manager Tim Collins, who led them back to success after their early 80s nadir. Joe Perry claims the dude exerted control over their professional and personal lives like a cult leader.

Tyler's book was far more amusing. I don't think Joe has quite as much of a sense of humor. Steven was laugh-out-loud funny at times, such as when complaining about the "low tooth count" among Eastern European groupies.

Brooke
03-03-2016, 04:54 PM
I read Steven's book too, and thought it was pretty good. I've just been thinking I need to read it again! That he survived his addictions amazes me!

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent. I'm not all that interested in it, but have nothing else here at work for down time. He is traveling across the country by car and telling about it as he goes. So I read a few pages from time to time. It's ok, and funny in places. Imagine my excitement when I come across an Eagles mention! He is traveling from Cleveland to Toledo, miles of mindless driving and he switches between radio stations and says "you cannot conceive of the sense of hopelessness that comes with hearing "Hotel California" by the Eagles for the fourteenth time in three hours." Then he goes on to complain about the dj's. Anyway, that part I liked! :lol:

buffyfan145
03-03-2016, 05:04 PM
That is funny Brooke!!! :D I love finding shoutouts like that. I'm currently reading "The Expanse" series, which I actually got into from watching the TV show (which is great). It's a sci-fi series set 200 years from now and the people of Earth have colonized Mars, the asteroid belt, and the moons of Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune and aliens have finally made their way into it, but it's just fascinating as this really could be plausible in 200 years. It's really focused on the human characters too and their rag tag family that gets formed between people from the warring colonies now that they have a new threat to fight against. It's also neat reading how music like that of the Eagles is considered classical in the books' future time period but people still love it. :) Also, one of the leaders of Earth is named Admiral Souther. LOL

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Can you believe I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. She's definitely going on my list.

AG, did you read Steven Tyler's book? I don't remember what he had to say about their former manager Tim Collins, who led them back to success after their early 80s nadir. Joe Perry claims the dude exerted control over their professional and personal lives like a cult leader.

Tyler's book was far more amusing. I don't think Joe has quite as much of a sense of humor. Steven was laugh-out-loud funny at times, such as when complaining about the "low tooth count" among Eastern European groupies.

I've only read the Aerosmith autobiography, not Steven's book. It'll go on my list, as will Joe Perry's book. Agatha Christie's books are good, quick reads to me. I love murder/mystery books, so she's right up my alley. I must admit that I'm relatively new to her works, though, having only read 2 of before now. I'm a fast reader, and I'm trying to become more of a regular reader than I used to be. I've set a goal of reading 104 books this year,(2 a week) and so far, I've read 19 books, which puts me 2 books ahead of schedule.

Brooke, I love coming across Eagles references in books (and other bands, too). In the Black Dahila Avenger book, the author talked about his sister, who hung out with The Mamas and the Papas back in the 60s. I thought of Glenn because it was music like that group that made him interested in moving to California. (I also thought od Crosby Stills and Nash because Mama Cass brought them together)

NightMistBlue
03-03-2016, 05:28 PM
I've requested "The Sittaford Mystery" audio book from my library, so before too long I'll get to know Ms. Christie.

AG, I just looked over the Black Dahlia Avenger book on Amazon - I don't think I could handle that; too gruesome, too sad. I've gotten squeamish in my old age. But it seems as if the author made a convincing case as to who the murderer was - even James Ellroy gave it a favorable review.

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 05:49 PM
I've requested "The Sittaford Mystery" audio book from my library, so before too long I'll get to know Ms. Christie.

AG, I just looked over the Black Dahlia Avenger book on Amazon - I don't think I could handle that; too gruesome, too sad. I've gotten squeamish in my old age. But it seems as if the author made a convincing case as to who the murderer was - even James Ellroy gave it a favorable review.

Yeah, I'm not squeamish. That kind of stuff peaks my interest and grabs my attention. (yes, I know I'm weird and abnormal.) The author is suspected killer's son. It was a very interesting and in depth book. I learned a lot of new things about that ghastly unsolved murder.

As for the age thing, remember you're only as old as you feel ;). (If that's true, then I must be 70 or older!)

The Disco Strangler
03-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm in the middle of reading Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal by Greg Renoff.

AlreadyGone95
03-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm reading a novel called The Confessions of All Capone by Loren D. Estleman. It's a well researched fictional account of Al Capone telling his life story near the end of his life, to an undercover FBI agent. It's a bit long and drags a bit at times, but it's been an enjoyable read so far.

DJ
03-11-2016, 03:51 PM
I am reading Stairways to Heaven, no not about Zepplin. It is a book by
Lorna Byrne. Angels In My Hair....She talks about how as a child she see's guardian angels. She claims everyone has one......So far I've only read about 10 pages because I find it a bit, out there, no pun intended. I'll read more and let you know.

NightMistBlue
03-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I know I've read one of Ms. Byrne's books but I can't remember which one; think it was Angels in My Hair.

I'm listening to Agatha Christie's The Sittaford Mystery and am delighted that its narrated by one of my favorite actors, Nathaniel Parker.

The Disco Strangler
03-17-2016, 10:44 AM
I finished Lita Ford's book. It was okay but I can't say it was awesome.

AlreadyGone95
03-17-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm now reading a fictional account of the "Hanging Judge" Issac Parker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Parker). It's by the same guy who wrote the Capone book. After I finish it, I'll start reading a book called Motown, again by the same guy. It takes place in Detroit in 1966. (Needless to say who came to mind when I read the info about the book at the library)

In a few weeks, I'm going to try one of the American classics for the first time, Harrier Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.

The Disco Strangler
03-29-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm reading Out of the Rough by Steve Williams

NightMistBlue
03-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Oh, that's the book by Tiger Woods' former caddie. Apparently it's really vindictive. Fun read? :)

I'm off on a biography binge again: pre-ordered the memoirs of Toni Tennille (don't judge me!) and Rita Coolidge.

Jonny Come Lately
03-29-2016, 02:04 PM
I certainly won't judge you for reading Toni Tennille's memoirs - even though most of her music is not my cup of tea, she did provide backing vocals on Pink Floyd's The Wall. Off the top of my head, I think she sings on both versions of In The Flesh. In one of my Pink Floyd books, Pigs Might Fly by Mark Blake, I read that when she went into the studio, she wasn't quite sure how she would get along with the band given how different their music was from hers. When she actually got in there, the first thing that happened was that David Gilmour told her he was watching her sing on children's TV that morning with his kids. :lol: Not what she was expecting!

AlreadyGone95
03-29-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm not too familiar with her, but Love Will Keep Us Together isn't a bad song.

I'm off of the bios for a while. I'm trying to expand the genres of books I read. Reading stuff in the same vein gets old after a while. Right now I'm reading a fictional book called Ghostwalk by Rebecca Scott. It deals with Sir Issac Newton and modern day lady(a Cambridge, England historian) who has studied his work, particularly on alchemy, and her through her research she discovers new things.. The lady was writing a book about him, but died mysteriously by drowning before she could complete it. Her son gets his ex girlfriend to finish the book by ghostwriting for it. While she does this, several murders occur in Cambridge, which are linked to the book. The 17th century becomes entwined with the 21st century.

NightMistBlue
03-29-2016, 03:29 PM
I read that when she went into the studio, she wasn't quite sure how she would get along with the band given how different their music was from hers. When she actually got in there, the first thing that happened was that David Gilmour told her he was watching her sing on children's TV that morning with his kids. :lol: Not what she was expecting!

Aww, that's sweet! IIRC the Floyd were looking for a Beach Boys sound on various tracks, such as Waiting for the Worms. Toni started her career as a back-up singer for the Boys. That's why Bruce Johnston was there too.

I don't actually own any Captain & Tennille records. I just think my 70s nostalgia has gotten well out of hand.

I should do like AG and force myself into new patterns. That Sir Isaac Newton book sounds interesting.

AlreadyGone95
03-29-2016, 03:39 PM
It is interesting, but it's hard to follow and a bit far fetched, especially if you're not a fan of the supernatural. I'm torn on it so far, especially since I know little about Sir Issac Newton.

L101
03-29-2016, 03:51 PM
At the moment, I'm reading about Regulatory Affairs in the Pharmaceutical industry for an exam tomorrow - light reading :grin: