PDA

View Full Version : The Border Book Club

Pages : [1] 2 3

Witchy Mummy
02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Okay...I thought it would be fun to talk about the books we are reading at the moment, books we have read and books we would like to read. Plus, it's an excuse to tell you about the book I have just finished :wink:

I've just finished reading Tommy Steele: Bermondsey Boy. I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. The book charts his early life and how he got involved in Rock and Roll to become a teen idol in 50s Britain. The stories of his childhood were amazing. His young life was full of tragedy living throught the blitz in London. His father was used as a double for Winston Churchill and sounds like a real character. He tells of how he discovered Rock and Roll as it was progresing from Country and Western, while serving in the Merchant Navy. He bought his first guitar in New york and learnt the songs current in the USA. He would then stun everyone back home with this new sound. I'm very much looking forward his second book.

The book I'm about to read is called True Believer by Nicholas Sparks. Toonie gave it to me and said I would love it. It's part love story and part ghost story. I'll let you know what I think of it :)

Brooke
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I just read The Notebook by Nicholas Sprarks! It was really good, really, really sad, but I loved it! A really great, easy read.

I'm also reading Hotel California. Not learning much that I didn't already know. :wink:

Toonlass
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
At present I have several books on the go...depending on whose house I'm at.

At home I have Bill Bryson's, A Short History of Nearly Everything, which I've been reading for ages...because its just so much information to take in that I take a break from it every now and again. One of those times is now, I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Fury, which is the latest Sharpe book...I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

At my boyfriends house, I have Tom Sharpe's Blott on the Landscape (which I'm nearly through) and QI: The Book of General Ignorance on the go. I love the QI book...great for flicking through to find out something else you thought you knew, but clearly didn't :D

I read The Notebook a couple of years ago and really loved it, though the film let me down slightly. I think Nicholas Sparks writes such good characters, its easy to feel drawn to them and their stories.

Molly
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I started reading Stephen King when I was a teenager, and even though some of his more recent novels have been somewhat disappointing, whenever he has something new on the shelves, I always have to give him another chance.

I just finished Lisey's Story which was quite dark and at times got a little too fantastic with his tale of people stepping into and out of another world or kingdom. But within that story is a really touching story about a woman who had recently lost her husband of 25 years. It goes back and chronicles their lives together as she goes through understanding some of his dark secrets and coming to grips with her loss. It tells about how a couple that has been married such a long time develops their own "secret language" and I realized that that's very true!

Now I'm reading a King paperback called "Cell". It's about a day when all hell starts breaking loose and civilization ends as we know it all because of sublime messages coming via cell phones. It's grisley and graphic -pure King! It reminds me of "The Stand."
Any one besides Stephen King trying to tell a story like this and it would seem silly-but he has me thinking twice about putting my cell phone to my ear!

glenneaglesfan
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Good topic to start, WM. Molly, I read Stephen King's 'Christine' years ago, and still sometimes have nightmares about it. He's a good writer, but I'm not very good with horror fiction. I tend to read non fiction, such as travel writing. I too have Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' on my bedside table for reading in short doses, although I've read all his other books quickly and have at times burst out laughing on trains reading some of his stuff! I have recently got into Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series - once you get over the fantasy setting they are very funny commentaries on life (and Death, who is one of the main characters, if you don't know the books).

Brooke, I read 'Hotel California' in the summer (thanks to Molly, who leant it to me). It was a nice easy read and kept my interest up, although I agree there was nothing much new.

WM, the Tommy Steele autobiography sounds fascinating. He was always so cheerful, it's hard to imagine he went through such hardship.

One quirky novel I read recently was 'The Greatest Man in Cedar Hole' by Stephanie Doyon, funny and touching at the same time.

Freypower
02-13-2007, 08:39 PM
My husband the devoted Rush fan persuaded me to read Neil Peart's books about his motorbike travels. The first I just finished was The Masked Rider, about a painful ride through Cameroon. I'm now about to start Ghost Rider. Peart lost his daughter in a car crash and his wife to cancer within the space of a year and basically took to the road to deal with his grief.

I have also read all of Bryson's books (I've met him several times & have his autograph) but The Lost Continent is still my favourite.

I bought Cell for my husband for Christmas because he loves Stephen King. I intend reading it myself.

I am basically a classical literature reader though and most recently ploughed my way through War & Peace again. The only faults with it are Tolstoy's diatribes about the workings of history. I am about to revisit The Grapes Of Wrath.

glenneaglesfan
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Julie. it's good to hear that you are still reading the classics. One of my favourite old authors is Rudyard Kipling. I reread 'Kim' a couple of years ago, and I have a collection of short stories that I revisit from time to time.

I also enjoy reading children's fiction. Has anyone here read 'Holes' by Louis Sachar? If you haven't, I suggest you give it a try - it's funny and develops into quite an unexpected ending.

I still have some of the classic children's books. I suppose I'm reaching the age where it's ok to keep them back for the grandchildren.

Randy's Girl
02-19-2007, 05:42 AM
This is my ideal topic!! I love books and I work in a bookshop and I read constantly.

I read The Notebook a couple of years ago too, and enjoyed it. I've read all the Bill Bryson books too, and loved them all. Although his biog The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid actually made me laugh out loud - so so funny. I would strongly recommend it.

Currently, I have discovered Sharpe, and I totally love them. I am now on the second to last one, and I don't want them to end. I just love the character, and I don't know what I'll do when I've read the last one. I've started watching the films too, and they're really good (Sean Bean is sooo good as Sharpe).

I started reading Sharpe at the end of January, and before that I read Resurrectionist by James McGee (sequel to Ratcatcher). Set in Regency London, the main character is Matthew Hawkwood, a Bow Street Runner. They are fantastic stories and normally I hate historical fiction, but these I love.

I could be here for hours talking about books!

Toonlass
03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Well...I finished Blott, so my boyfriend (Chris) and I went out and bought a couple of new (old) books from the local charity shops to keep at his house. I got "The Bible The Old Testament According to Spike Milligan", which is great. I also got a Tony Parsons book, but I can't remember the title (I've not started reading it yet) and Chris got The Essential Spike Milligan.

Otherwise I'm still reading A Short History of Nearly Everything....not much more to go in there.

Randy's Girl
03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
I read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere last night and really enjoyed it, and the night before that I read Predator by Patricia Cornwell (not as good as her earlier ones). The day before that, I read The 5th Horseman (James Patterson). I've started Mary Mary (also by James Patterson). Oh and I read a book on Monday called Horse's Arse (the title appealed to me). Very funny book, similar to Christopher Brookmyre but not Scottish.

As you may notice, I love reading!

Freypower
03-17-2007, 01:34 AM
I always have several books on the go. I've nearly finished Postwar by Tony Judt, which is a superb history of postwar Europe.

SweetHolly
03-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm currently reading Danielle Steel's newest book Sisters.

sodascouts
03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm currently reading Christine Feehan's Deadly Game. I like her "Game" series of paranormal romance, although they can get overly violent.

sodascouts
04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Speaking of Christine Feehan, I read her story "After the Music" and I had to wonder if the lead character Dillon was modelled after Don, back when he had long hair! He's described as a singer who has "famous blue eyes" and an "edgy, smoky voice." There's other similarities, too. Probably all coincidence, but it was still cool to consider!

Freypower
04-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I am ploughing my way through Michael Gray's Song And Dance Man about Bob Dylan for the second time.

Some of it is good and makes me remember why Dylan is such a great songwriter, even the chapter relating to the 'born again' period. Some of it is so heavy-handed and indigestible, particularly when it has footnotes that take up nearly a page, that you want to give up. The chapter 'Even Post-Structuralists Oughta Have The Pre-War Blues' which takes about 100 pages to describe the influence of blues musicians on Dylan's work, is almost unreadable if you don't have the background knowledge. Gray then has the temerity to write two separate chapters criticising other writers' views of Dylan.

Sometimes it's really about the music. You have to go to that first. And yet.... the late Ian McDonald's Revolution In The Head is a wonderful introduction to the Beatles.

Edit: When I first read Song & Dance Man it was all the quoting of the Biblical imagery that made me uneasy. Now it seems I'm more comfortable with the Bible as literature. What I don't get now is all the blues stuff. I appreciate being given the references but now, I really don't need every last time the phrase 'woke up this morning' was ever used in a blues song.

Another peculiarity of the book is that Gray makes such a big deal about the use of both the Old & New Testaments in Dylan's work, and about the 'born again' period, but there is hardly any mention that Dylan is in fact Jewish, and that becoming a Christian was something of an event from this perspective. :?

Randy's Girl
04-12-2007, 04:46 AM
I am currently reading a book called Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. It's the sequel to last year's The Lies Of Locke Lamora (which is my favourite book ever). It's not actually published until June - I have a proof copy - one of the advantages to working in a bookshop! Love these two books!!!

I've also read Bad Luck And Trouble by Lee Child (fab!) and Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Lundy (it's a kids book and really enjoyable).

janisjoplin
06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Books are another passion of mine :D

I'm currently reading "The Chamber" by John Grisham - a real page turner 8)

sodascouts
06-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I've read The Chamber, too. Great book!

SweetHolly
06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I've read The Chamber too. Really good book. I've read quite a few of John Grisham's books and I enjoyed reading them.

Freypower
06-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath. It's wonderful. This is the first time I've read it in years and I had forgotten how raw & powerful it is.

Also Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers, a semi-fictional romp through the 20th century starring a writer based on Somerset Maugham & the eventual Pope John XXIII. Not for everyone but if you have a strong stomach & you like a good yarn try it.

SweetHolly
06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath. It's wonderful. This is the first time I've read it in years and I had forgotten how raw & powerful it is.

Also Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers, a semi-fictional romp through the 20th century starring a writer based on Somerset Maugham & the eventual Pope John XXIII. Not for everyone but if you have a strong stomach & you like a good yarn try it.
I love The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck is one of my all-time favorite authors.
I'll have to check this Earthly Powers out from the library, sounds really interesting.

janisjoplin
06-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I've only just discovered John Grisham.........I had quite a few of his books given to me whilst I was in hospital so I'm working my way through them.

I've already read "A Painted House" and I thoroughly enjoyed the narration - quite different to anything else I can remember reading.

Brooke
06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I've also read several John Grisham books including The Chamber and have enjoyed them all.

I think I will have to give The Grapes of Wrath a try due to your recommendations! :)

glenneaglesfan
06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I tend to read non-fiction, such as travel and biographies, but I love Terry Pratchett, and recently read 'The Wee Free Men', which is actually aimed at the teenage market. I've tended to read most of the books my boys have read, such as the Harry Potter series, the Northern Lights trilogy by Philip Pullman, the Wind Singer trilogy by William Nicholson, and possibly one of the best books ever 'Holes' by Louis Sachar.

Randy's Girl
06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm currently reading The Increment by Chris Ryan. A couple of days ago I read Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver, followed by The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore

Recently I've read The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (not published over here until Sept), and The Book With No Name by Anonymous (gloriously violent and funny).

Molly
07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I've been reading books by an author I had never heard of until out of boredom on a rainy afternoon, I grabbed one of her books off the shelf of a department store a few months ago. Her name is Lisa Jackson and she writes really good murder mysteries (which I love). Well, they're a murder mystery one minute and then the next minute the main characters always seem to be ripping each other's clothes off and she goes into great detail about their...ummm...activities. :shock: It sort of reminds me of the favorite chapter I've memorized from a certain book I think a few of us own. (I think Lisa Jackson may be a pseudonym for Linda the Hooker :wink: ).

Anyway, I believe Ms. Jackson is also an Eagles fan since she's mentioned them in two of her books I've read so far. The first mention is in a book called "Whispers" where she's setting the scene of a murder that happened in the 70's and she talks about how she can hear her next door neighbor is playing "Hotel California" on their stereo. The book I'm reading now tells how the main character is getting ready for a relaxing bath and decides to put her favorite Eagles' CD on before getting into the tub. Cool!

Brooke
07-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I may have to check out Ms. Jackson! At least she has good taste in music! 8)

glenneaglesfan
07-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I like the sound of her books, Molly! We have a new library opening soon, and I'm looking forward to getting back to reading more. The old library was ok but a nightmare to park. The boys and I bought the latest and last Harry Potter today. Phil has already grabbed it. I found Bill Bryson's autobiography yesterday, so that's my current reading.l

sodascouts
07-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the rec, Molly. I love romance/suspense novels, and if the Eagles are mentioned - what more could you want? I'll look her up. Do you have a particular favorite of hers that you'd recommend?

And I too noticed that the hooker book chapter was written in romance-novel fashion. Made it much better for me, lol.

Molly
07-21-2007, 05:04 PM
And I too noticed that the hooker book chapter was written in romance-novel fashion. Made it much better for me, lol.

I'm working my way through all of them. She's a prolific writer so there's a lot to work through!

"Whispers" and "Most Likely to Die" are the 2 where I've found the Eagle's references. While reading one called "Final Scream", I found myself doing the old, "Whew, is it getting hot in here?" Actually, all of them are good, if not a bit predictable when you get used to the author's style of storytelling.

I've now been getting my copies (used paperbacks) off of Amazon for 99 cents.

If anyone is a Stephan King fan, his son has recently released his first novel. His name is Joe Hill (Joe Hillman King) and the book is called "Heart-Shaped Box". It's a rock and roll horror story! (What else would you expect from Stephan King's kid?)

The main character is an aging heavy metal rock star who's dark persona has his fans sending him goulish memorabilia. After many years, he has a really macabre collection. Someone e-mails him that that there is a ghost up for auction on e-bay. When his assistant tells him about it-he bids on it without a second thought. Turns out, he's bought himself one pi$$ed off ghost!

It's a very clever story. Lots of music and rock and roll references. Sorry, no Eagles.

sodascouts
07-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Good deal. I've got a coupon for Borders and I'll go over there to see if they have it. If not, I'll probably try Amazon too.

My favorite romance writers are:

Elizabeth Lowell - her romances are HOT HOT HOT and her suspense is good too. Her books Only Love, Winter Fire, and Forbidden are my very favorite romances.

Sandra Brown - unlike a lot of romance writers who switch to writing "harder" suspense novels, her suspense is actually stronger than her soft romances. The Witness was the best romance/suspense novel I've ever read.

Jodi Thomas - she's tamer, but a great storyteller. I haven't read her suspense, just her historical romance, so I can't speak for that. As I said, some writers don't make that transition well.

Christine Feehan - She specializes in "paranormal" romance. I'm really into her "Game" series and her magical sisters series. Her vampire ones, the "dark" series, are not my cup of tea. Her only drawback is that her books are usually very violent. One of her softer books was a Christmas romance entitled "After the Music" - I got it as part of a collection called The Wicked and the Wondrous. The lead character reminds me a LOT of Don Henley. I even wondered if she'd based him partially on Don.

Ana Leigh - she's another tamer historical romance writer, but good. I got turned on to her when I went on a blind date with her son.

Amanda Quick - her suspense/romances are good at also having some laughs, and I like the historical settings of many of her books. She specializes in the "Regency" era.

Recently I've been turned on to Gaelyn Foley, and I like what I've read so far.

Freypower
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I've been reading Stephen King's Cell. You will never want to use a cell phone again (I don't have one). He has a funny sub theme about 'phoners' who only like muzak like Lawrence Welk although later they graduate to 'popular' classics like Pachelbel's Canon. I recommend it.

janisjoplin
08-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Still working my way through John Grisham.

I'm reading "The Last Juror" at the mo.

I started "A Time To Kill" but the first few pages were a bit gory so I put it down.................. BUT I will pluck up the courage to start it again.

I enjoyed "The Chamber" too.

Another author I'm enjoying is Harry Bowling............he writes sagas about Bermondsey (East London) set in the 20's to 50's. He's another one who writes page turners. I can sit or lie down and read for hours LOL

Another author I would recommend is Maeve Binchy - her books are set in Ireland and very readable.

sodascouts
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I just finished Whispers by Lisa Jackson. Her use of Hotel California was really clever. Thanks for the rec!

SweetHolly
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I just checked out Walden from the library. It's been forever since I've read it. I also checked out a biography about Henry David Thoreau. :D

eaglesvet
04-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Soda, it just hit me what all of these animated avatars running in a string down the page reminds me of (and this may mean absolutely nothing to you, because I don't picture you in the demographic to hit these movies, but let me try it): They look like the paintings on the walls of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies :hilarious:, where the subjects are moving about within the frames...and can actually move to another painting if necessary!

sodascouts
04-23-2009, 02:05 AM
lol! I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I have two friends who are absolutely nuts about those books. I've seen all the HP movies with them, so I know exactly what you're talking about!

TimothyBFan
04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Soda, it just hit me what all of these animated avatars running in a string down the page reminds me of (and this may mean absolutely nothing to you, because I don't picture you in the demographic to hit these movies, but let me try it): They look like the paintings on the walls of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies :hilarious:, where the subjects are moving about within the frames...and can actually move to another painting if necessary!

You are so right!!!! I hadn't thought about that! (BTW---I am a HUGE HP fan thanks to my 18 year old son!)

eaglesvet
04-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Why do you think I ended up reading (and loving) the books? I figured I'd better know all of the details of Hogwarts, given I probably was going to be immersed in them via both sons for at least 10 years or so! I absolutely love the books; the only thing is, I try to read them just before each movie comes out....so I am probably the only fan who has yet to actually find out who the half-blood prince is!! (I'm just about to find out, though, as I am about 1/3 of the way throught that volume.) It has been difficult keeping the secret from being spilled, but I've managed. Soda, the books are umpteen times better than the movies, I am sure your friends have told you. The books do help you fill in the info from the movies, that's for sure.

TimothyBFan
04-24-2009, 07:33 AM
EV-The half blood prince is... nah, wouldn't really do that. I don't know how you kept from reading all the books all at once. That's what I ended up doing. The whole family was coming out of the theater after seeing the last movie and I told Dillon to give me the next book because I needed to know what was going to happen. He refused to and said I had to start with book #1 and read them all. I agreed to and didn't stop for 2 months. I was very lucky because book #7 had just came out so I was able to get thru all of them without having to wait. I remember starting #7 and texting my son, while he was at school, and asking "is Professor Snape a good guy or a bad guy? I need to know." His reply... "KEEP READING MOM!"

Oops--guess this isn't the place for this discussion. Should of started this up in the thread What Are You Reading in Cheap Wine.

Maybe next time Soda is up here I will send her home with all the books as homework! :hilarious:

sodascouts
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Oops--guess this isn't the place for this discussion. Should of started this up in the thread What Are You Reading in Cheap Wine.

Good idea - I think I'll move it over there so we can continue it!

Maybe next time Soda is up here I will send her home with all the books as homework! :hilarious:Yes, because I need one more fandom to spend my money on! lol

My HP fan friends have indeed told me that the books are MUCH better, although they were both angered at how the last book went (don't worry, won't spoil it here).

Another series those two friends are trying to get me to read is Twilight! Willie has joined them in this cause too! lol

Prettymaid
04-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I have just begun Twilight (book one). I am very excited about it because of all the good things I have heard about it here and at work!

TimothyBFan
04-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Confession time----Loved Twilight, loved the 2nd book in the series, New Moon, got 300 pages into the 3rd book, Eclipse and had to put it down. Couldn't take it any more. I might go back to it again sometime but it was just getting to be a little to far fetched and drug out for me. Anyone else have that problem?

EagleLady
05-24-2009, 11:29 AM
I just bought AC/DC Maximum Rock N' Roll, should be a good read

Peekaboo
05-25-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm loving the Twilight series. I'm on book 3 right now. I finished the first two books in 3 days. That's good for me because I don't read that often. I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books as well as some Daniel Steele in the past but nothing has captured my attention as much as Twilight. I didn't think i would like it but a friend at work talked me into reading it and now i'm completely into these books. I even turned my mom onto the series. She's passed me up already and has read all four of the books. I haven't had much time to read during the past few weeks but i've been taking the book to work the past few nights and reading during my breaks. I thought the movie was okay. I like the books so much better but i am anxious to see the second movie when it comes out.

Prettymaid
05-25-2009, 06:59 AM
I finished the first book just before I watched the movie.Have not yet started the second book (I need to borrow it from my coworker). I have to read it before I watch the movie!

Peekaboo
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
I finally got around to finishing Eclipse. I thought it was really good. It captured my attention throughout the whole book. Now i can't wait to start reading the fourth book.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I must admit that even though i am a teenager I have never read twilight. Not my kind of books (i love HP though). I am way more of a classic reader, which is what most of my collection is. I loved "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut and "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo, I also really love "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I love Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen, and J.D. Salinger. I also really love William Shakespeare (actually i love plays)and Oscar Wilde.

But I also love some of the newer writters. I have, and have read, all of John Grisham's novels. I have also just discovered Corrmac Mccarthy. The Road is the best book i have read in a few years. Barbara Kingsolver is also an amazing writter (if you pick one of her books i would go with "The Poisonwood Bible" i have read it twice this year). And another really good Book is "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (yes this is Dr. House) its really good because it is Kind of a spoof of James Bond.

Right Now I am reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

eaglesvet
06-30-2009, 07:22 AM
So, I've finally joined the rest of the HP fans in the know, and have discovered who the Half-Blood Prince is! Not who I was suspecting, that's for sure.... don't worry, I won't spoil it for you movie-goers who aren't reading the series. That movie will have quite an action-packed ending, that's for sure! I had to put the book down for awhile due to all my busy-ness, and then in the last week or two realized the movie was coming out soon, so I knew I had to get it finished. Now, my usual M.O. will be to hold off on HP7 until a couple months before that movie is due out. I know that would drive TBF batty!

TimothyBFan
06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Now, my usual M.O. will be to hold off on HP7 until a couple months before that movie is due out. I know that would drive TBF batty!

My advice--read it now and then reread it right before the movie. From what I hear that movie is actually going to be a 2 parter to fit everything in!

Aren't you just loving those books?

eaglesvet
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
That might be a good idea...I am wondering if the trio really is going to return to Hogwarts or not. I absolutely do love that series...like I said, I only started the first one to be on the same page (pun intended) as Ethan when he began the series about 6 yrs ago. I figured I'd better be familiar enough about that aspect of pop culture, because it wasn't going away anytime soon in my life, not with 2 boys. Now, I just love the books for their own sake!

There's two other books that have been on my list, however, that I might get to first: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and The Daily Coyote by Shreve Stockton. The first is a humorous account of a trek on the Appalachian Trail, and I've actually forgotton what the second is about. It was recommended to me by one of my good clients, and I have a feeling it is about dogs or coyotes or both!

Freypower
06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
EV, once you have read A Walk In The Woods, read Bryson's other books, starting with The Lost Continent. He is absolutely brilliant.

eaglesvet
06-30-2009, 10:21 PM
OK...I'll recommend that to my friend who told me about A Walk in the Woods!

ticky
07-24-2009, 02:34 AM
My friend Colleen Poulter, author of The Wong way to Marry has a link on her myspace page now for a free chapter of her book. I highly suggest reading this book to any and all Eagles/ 70s rock and roll fans. It's a great book and a fun read.
The Wong Way to Marry (http://www.wongwaytomarry.com/files/text/The%20Wong%20Way%20to%20Marry%20Sample%20Chapters. pdf)

TimothyBFan
07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Ticky--I LOVE the titles she has given the chapters. I really liked these couple of chapters, I'm afraid I would have to get out of that house if I had a mother and grandmother like those! Geez!!! LOVED the reference to Zeppelin's John Bonham in the 2nd chapter. Also, I would love to hear what a Cantonese version of Rock Around The Clock would sound like. :hilarious:

She's a friend of yours huh? How do I get my hands on the book? Is it really being turned into a film? COOL!!

ETA---forget it, I found where to order it. But I'm cheap because I buy so many books and can't afford to pay full price, so I will hold off till I can get it cheaper on ebay or half.com. Found a couple copies on ebay already. Has she written other books?

Brooke
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Very cute! And very tempting with all those references to Eagles, rock & roll, and all. :thumbsup:

ticky
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
ETA---forget it, I found where to order it. But I'm cheap because I buy so many books and can't afford to pay full price, so I will hold off till I can get it cheaper on ebay or half.com. Found a couple copies on ebay already. Has she written other books?

I have two copies. PM me your address and I'll send you one of mine. It's a great read! She has another book about to be published and one in the editing process and she just sent me the premise for her 4th book. She's pretty cool! I met her on Myspace after I read her book and she's following Kevin Borich on tour right now as his official photographer *G* Very cool! She's a HUGE Felder fan too. AND she's met Joe!! *G* Her husband, Brad, is a session guitarist and works with Kevin on a regular basis so they're friends and she and Brad got to meet Joe when he was working with Kevin.

TimothyBFan
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Kevin Borich, he's a guitarist right? I know it sounds familiar but can't place who he is other than guitar.

That is a very nice offer Rhonda. I'll PM you and will gladly pay you for it. I just almost always get my books off ebay or half.com because I buy so many because I read all the time and books are so expensive. It's inevitable that at Christmas I get Barnes & Nobles gift cards and I always feel extra "special" when I get to walk into that store and buy brand new books! :hilarious:

EagleLady
07-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I buy all my books on Booksamillion.com, that way, you don't have to go to the store to buy it. I just put another Elton book on my wish list, Can you tell I love that man? :hilarious:

Brooke
09-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I've been bored and thinking about finding something to read lately, so was looking here for recommendations.

Some I forgot to mention:

The Little House On The Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I love these! There are several, like 6 or 8, in the series. I read them to my kids, myself, and my kids read them to themselves! They are so cute and informative about life in days gone by.

Also, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Sandra M. Gilbert. Soooooo cute! Me and my daughter have read it multiple times.

Prettymaid
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Brroke, you mentioned Secret Garden in another thread - I'll have to check it out! :thumbsup:

ticky
09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
The Secret Garden was one of my very favorite books growing up. I truly loved it and, still today, it's a wonderful read, like revisiting an old friend.

Another I might suggest in that area, one that you might have seen the movie, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
It's such a wonderful and pertinent story and deals with such heavy and difficult themes such a racial prejudice and hatred in such innocent eyes that it brings a wonderful perspective to the world in which it takes place. My all time favorite literary character, Atticus Finch, gives his young children, Gem and Scout, a sterling example of what a grown up should be not only in the innocent times in which the book takes place, but in todays society.
There is so much more in the book then was possible to squeeze into a movie. If you've seen the movie and liked it, read the book and love it.

GlennLover
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I've read the book & seen the movie. It is one of my husband's all time favourites. I can't say that I "enjoyed" it. It kind of bothered me, probably because of all the hatred & prejudice. I agree though, it is a powerful & moving book.

Troubadour
09-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I love To Kill A Mockingbird. I recently revisited Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary, which I love. It's fast and punchy, and the sweaty, tense atmosphere of Puerto Rico that he recreates is so tangible - you feel like you are right there with him.

I've just finished No Country For Old Men (after enjoying the film), and it was brilliant. So good, that I've just taken out another Cormac McCarthy novel - Blood Meridian - from the library. It's about violence in the Old West... a little heavier than No Country For Old Men, but so far, so good.

Brooke
09-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Pm, you will love The Secret Garden.

Sounds like I need to read To Kill A Mockingbird again. It's been a long, long time.

I went to the local library searching for Bill Bryson and they didn't have any of his. I'll check amazon for those.

Troub, I watched the movie No Country For Old Men and did not like it at all. Can't read that book. I don't know, it was just so evil and creepy. But, different strokes for different folks!

lynnzop
09-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh good! I love book discussion threads, helps to find new stuff I haven't read yet!!! I usually have at least two books going at the same time, right now I'm working on

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - started out really well, then slowed down a bit, now picking up again. It's the first in a three-part series by a Swedish author, Stieg Larsson, who died before publishing the last book.

The Gunslinger - first in the Dark Tower series. I'm a Stephen King freak (surpassed fan and "Constant Reader" years ago) and decided I needed to re-read the whole series again. I saw there are a few other SK readers here, but for those who avoid him because his books are "scarey", the DT series is gutsy sci-fi/fantasy/western genre. I thought the ending for the last book was perfect. It ticked off a lot of people, but there wasn't really anything else he could have done. ;)

Living Dead in Dallas - second in the True Blood series. I love the more gory vampire books, hated Twilight. After slogging thru only 1/2 of Twilight and complaining about it on another board, someone suggested the Sookie Stackhouse books, which are much better. Vampires do NOT go out in the day time, even to go to high school. ;)

ticky
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh good! I love book discussion threads, helps to find new stuff I haven't read yet!!! I usually have at least two books going at the same time, right now I'm working on

Living Dead in Dallas - second in the True Blood series. I love the more gory vampire books, hated Twilight. After slogging thru only 1/2 of Twilight and complaining about it on another board, someone suggested the Sookie Stackhouse books, which are much better. Vampires do NOT go out in the day time, even to go to high school. ;)

YES!!!! another Sookie fan!! I am freakin in love with these books. I was also not thrilled with the Twilight series but I see these as Twilight for grown ups. Yeah, there are Vampires and yeah, other things, but the way Charlaine Harris goes about explaining these things make is nearly believable and I love her characters! Her other series are just as readable and well written.
The Aurora Teagarden series is fun, exciting and there are several of them so you wont run out right away even tho it's a finished series.
The Shakespeare series (dont get too excited Julie *G*) is about a woman named Lily Bard who's lived through a very tragic event that's changed her dramatically and she now lives in a town called Shakespeare (her little joke, Lily Bard of Shakespeare..) It's much more dramatic and dark, but still very well written mysteries.
The Harper Connelly series kind of mixes the idea of supernatural and non together with the main character being capable of seeing where people have died and how they were killed through their eyes. She uses this ability to make a living, traveling with her stepbrother around the country looking for missing persons believed to be dead. A little dark and somewhat surprising at times, but again, very well written and great characters.

lynnzop
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
:laugh: Ticky...glad I found another Sookie fan too!

I started out with one of the Aurora Teagarden books because I couldn't find any of the Sookie books at the library (broke down and bought them at Borders ;)), and enjoyed it immensely. Light and easy to read, but so much fun.

I haven't tried the two other series' yet, but I like Harris's style, so will on your recommendation. :)

AmarilloByMorning
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Living Dead in Dallas - second in the True Blood series. I love the more gory vampire books, hated Twilight. After slogging thru only 1/2 of Twilight and complaining about it on another board, someone suggested the Sookie Stackhouse books, which are much better. Vampires do NOT go out in the day time, even to go to high school. Lol! There are quite a few Sookie fans out there - I actually despise True Blood (and don't get me started on Twilight) but quite enjoy the Southern Vampire series. My favorite is the fourth, Dead to the World, because I'm completely at the mercy of one nihilistic viking... but I digress; the point is, keep reading! The quality has disintegrated with the last two, but the first seven prove exceptionally entertaining (if not particularly groundbreaking in format or subject).

I must highlight Ian McEwan's truly phenomenal Atonement as one of the singularly most enrapturing novels I have ever experienced. If you haven't seen the movie, read the novel first; if you've seen the movie, I must attest to the unequivocal, almost shimmering supremacy of the penned verison.

Also, for unicorn lovers and/or sci-fi fans: Piers Anthony has a magnificent trilogy called the Apprentice Adept series, comprised of Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Juxtaposition. There's a bit too much sex for my taste and it's written in standard, non-floral sci-fi style, but I keep returning to the books for the absolute sense of departure they inspire. In addition to unicorns (as a horse nut, they were the sole selling point for me), the main character encounters any number of magical creatures in a sort of Blade Runner-esque future society. Pollution and overconsumption has ruined his home land of Proton (ruled by science), and by sheer chance he crosses over into the parallel univers of Phaze, where magic reigns. Escapism at its finest.

ticky
09-16-2009, 02:17 PM
ABM~ I gotta tell ya, I, too, am a HUGE Viking fan *grin* and Dead to the World was my favorite as well. Eric at his finest... yum! I love watching True Blood mostly because I look at it as if Charlaine Harris had written a hole NEW novel with the same characters but making different choices. The whole Maenad thing kind of pissed me off. Completely taken out of context simply for the television effect. The Maenad in the book was kind of cool. Violent and self serving, yeah, but still, true to herself and her own form. This one was made out to be pure evil and a kin to Satan. What was THAT about?
Anyway, I kind of like the way they're mixing up the stories, makes for something new with wonderfully familiar characters.

I've read most of what Piers Anthony has to offer and, from all that, The Apprentice Adept series is by far my favorite.

I havent read Ian McEwan's book Atonement yet, but I will. Im always looking for a good read and seem to devour books like M&Ms!!
Thanks for the recommend!

TimothyBFan
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice. Does anyone here use a wireless reading device such as the Kindle from Amazon or know anything about them? I looked into them a few years back and have recently seen a couple books that you can only get via download and was wondering if I should perhaps look into them again. I don't know anything about them other than the Kindle is $300 which seems like quite a bit. Books are so expensive and from what I understand, the downloads for these devices are cheaper so I could possible save $$ in the long run. Is there a good variety? Is there a brand that is better than the other? Are they pretty much universal?

Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Koala
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I have yesterday the book Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed from Patricia Cornwell finished.
This book explores the question of who was Jack the Ripper.
Jack the Ripper was renowned artist Walter Sickert (1860-1942 he was born in Germany) according to Cornwell, the book is quite interesting, sometimes a bit boring, when any DNA tests to be described!
The book describes among others the travel itinerary by Walter Sickert and he actually comes in my area, only a few miles from my hometown!
It is strangely to read in a book concerning Jack the Ripper suddenly very well-known cities, where I am from time to time!
Finally, I never brought before JtR with Germany in connection!

GlennLover
11-01-2009, 03:22 PM
That sounds interesting, Koala. I have always been facinated by the story, I guess it's because it was never really proven who he actually was. It certainly isn't because of the gory details of his crimes! I have been to London & seen the areas where he commited the murders. I even saw a play there about him. Believe it or not, it was a musical! All I remember of the songs is one line, "The Ripper's gonna getcha if you don't watch out!":hilarious: I must look for the book that you read.

Freypower
11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I have yesterday the book Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed from Patricia Cornwell finished.
Jack the Ripper was renowned artist Walter Sickert (1860-1942 he was born in Germany) according to Cornwell, the book is quite interesting, sometimes a bit boring, when any DNA tests to be described!
The book describes among others the travel itinerary by Walter Sickert and he actually comes in my area, only a few miles from my hometown!
It is strangely to read in a book concerning Jack the Ripper suddenly very well-known cities, where I am from time to time!

It has never been proven who he was. Sickert is one of many candidates. I would take this with a very large grain of salt.

Koala
11-02-2009, 02:39 AM
It has never been proven who he was. Sickert is one of many candidates. I would take this with a very large grain of salt.

Yeah, I know that Sickert is just one of many possible candidate and it will certainly never come out who was Jack the Ripper really but it was still strange to read in this context, something about my home area!

GF, I was always been facinated by the story, too. WOW a musical about Jack the Ripper this sounds interesting!

Peekaboo
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM

I haven't read that particular book but I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books and have found them to be really interesting. I like the crime/drama type of stories. Her writing kind of reminds me of the show C.S.I. If you liked the Jack The Ripper book by her, I recommend checking out some of her other books too.

GlennLover
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I haven't read that particular book but I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books and have found them to be really interesting. I like the crime/drama type of stories. Her writing kind of reminds me of the show C.S.I. If you liked the Jack The Ripper book by her, I recommend checking out some of her other books too.

I do like that kind of book. I must look them up. I like CSI too. I guess that I enjoy mysteries.

Koala
11-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I agree with you her books a really good, I have read already a many of Patricia Cornwell´s books and all the books are always exciting and interesting to the end!

Troubadour
11-27-2009, 05:58 PM
I've just finished a book called 'A Quiet Belief In Angels' by RJ Ellory. It's not really a quick-read thriller, but I finished it as if it was one! I just couldn't put it down. It was very sad and quite harrowing in parts, but it was also wonderfully written and incredibly suspenseful. It's about life and the things that shape you - told by a guy named Joseph Vaughan, who takes us from when he was a child up to adulthood. It's based around a series of murders that take place in his small Georgia town. He and his schoolfriends form a group named 'The Guardians', which aims to protect the people of Augusta Falls from whomever is committing these crimes. Of course they're only kids, and there's nothing really they can do. When something happens to one of the girls Joseph swore to protect, he carries that guilt with him and makes it his life purpose to find the killer...

That's a very brief outline! It's about so much more. Family relations, prejudice, small-town life, the way writing becomes a way of coping for Joseph and how his teacher encourages him to make writing his life... As I said, some might find it too harrowing or a bit depressing, but I think it's well worth the read. Beautifully written. I'll definitely be looking out for more of RJ Ellory's books.

lynnzop
11-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks Louise, I'll put it on my list. Sounds like a good one.

I picked up the new Stephen King book today after reading an excerpt in Entertainment Weekly....hubby "gifted" me with Just After Sunset last Christmas, and he's "gifting" me with Under the Dome this year. ;) I love getting what I really want.....

Slogging through the Dark Tower series again...I'm about 3/4 way through book 3 (Wastelands).

And working through a book of Kurt Vonnegut short stories. I love Vonnegut. In a strange way, he makes me chuckle.

Troubadour
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, lynnzop!

Funny you should mention Stephen King... as soon as I put down A Quiet Belief In Angels, I started reading one of his novels - Desperation. I almost commented on that in my last post actually! I wondered which of Stephen King's books people would especially recommend? I've only read Misery and The Shining so far, but I enjoyed both. Any suggestions?

Glennsallnighter
11-28-2009, 10:03 PM
'A Quiet Belief in Angels' definitely sounds worth the read Lou. I'll look out for it.

As regards Stephen King, I read 'The Stand' 20 years ago. I was working in Boston at the time and a colleague had finished it and suggested I read it. It was unputdownable. Interesting too that it was the inspiration for Glenn :heart: 's song 'Brave New World.

Stars
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
I just finished reading "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy. I loved this book so much-had trouble putting it down, yet hated for it to end! I was in tears by the last page-highly recommended!:thumbsup:

Freypower
11-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Funny you should mention Stephen King... as soon as I put down A Quiet Belief In Angels, I started reading one of his novels - Desperation. I almost commented on that in my last post actually! I wondered which of Stephen King's books people would especially recommend? I've only read Misery and The Shining so far, but I enjoyed both. Any suggestions?

Cell and The Dark Half are worth reading. My husband has read many King books but they are the only two I've read.

Prettymaid
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I've read many books by Stephen King in the past - my favorite by far is The Stand, although I enjoy almost everything he writes.

Koala
11-30-2009, 02:35 AM
In the past I have also read a lot of Stephen King Books, one of the first books that I have read from him was Pet Sematary. Then I lost the interest in Stephen King books for a long time, I don´t know exactly why.The Stand, Salem's Lot, It and Needful Things are my favorites.
Under the Dome I will in any case buy it or I will wish it to me for Christmas.

lynnzop
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM

The Stand is far and away my favorite, but a hefty tome. If you'd like to try something that requires a little less commitment ;), but just as good, I'd recommend The Green Mile series, or perhaps a collection of short stories. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was made into a film and if you haven't seen the movie, it's well worth a read (in the Different Seasons collection).

Both film adaptations of Green Mile and Shawshank were really good. Most of King's stuff doesn't translate well to movie.

Desperation...you're a brave soul to take that one on. :D If you really want something interesting after you've finished it, pick up Regulators. I won't go into any details except that it's the "partner" novel of Desperation, written by King's alter-ego (and gore-King hahahaha) Richard Bachman.

Lisa
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm almost finished with Thomas Pynchon's August 2009 bestselling novel, "Inherent Vice." It's a 'sixties detective story--certain to sell to today's younger market. I've been reading Thomas Pynchon's books, off and on, since 1978--spring semester during my senior year of high school. The kids in my class used to believe (and say in discussions) that Mr. Pynchon, who was then considered to be a reclusive literary figure--mailed in his manuscripts to his publisher anonymously--from foreign office depots and no-return-address-stops like the wilds of Africa--of course, this was all purely mythological; but it left an undeliable impression on teenage novel wanna-read(-er)s and wanna-write(-r)'s! I think he'll be one of the contemporary great twentieth-century American novelists for his fluid prose, unconventional topics, and patchwork collage-imaging style.

bernie's bender
12-10-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm almost finished with Thomas Pynchon's August 2009 bestselling novel, "Inherent Vice." It's a 'sixties detective story--certain to sell to today's younger market. I've been reading Thomas Pynchon's books, off and on, since 1978--spring semester during my senior year of high school. The kids in my class used to believe (and say in discussions) that Mr. Pynchon, who was then considered to be a reclusive literary figure--mailed in his manuscripts to his publisher anonymously--from foreign office depots and no-return-address-stops like the wilds of Africa--of course, this was all purely mythological; but it left an undeliable impression on teenage novel wanna-read(-er)s and wanna-write(-r)'s! I think he'll be one of the contemporary great twentieth-century American novelists for his fluid prose, unconventional topics, and patchwork collage-imaging style.

big pynchon fan here! I'll need to pick this up! I'm re-reading Cormac McCarthy right now... and I just finished reading the biography of Paul Bigsby... what an amazing man.

AzEaglesFan
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I just started reading Rosanne Cash's new book "Composed" I was surprised to see Steuart Smith mentioned in her book. She was recording an album in 1987. She was married to Rodney Crowell at the time and he hired Steuart to play on her record. She writes "I didn't understand Steuart's working style at first and made fun of him a bit to Rodney. He seemed extremely obsessive and overly meticulous, and I sensed a self-consciousness in his demeanor that made me feel awkward, I slowly realized, over the course of the first few weeks of work, that Steuart was one if the most deeply sensitive musicians I had ever encountered, and that the depth of his soul came right out of the ends of his fingers when he played. Living in mundane reality was often almost excruciating for Steuart. He is not the first artist I have known with so few defenses against the world, and certainly there have been many, many times I have felt that vulnerable and exposed myself. He became a collaborator and such an inspiration to me that when I produced Interiors a few years later I sought him out for help with the arrangements and he proved invaluable."

Prettymaid
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Awww, that's the most I've ever read about Steuart. What kind words!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
That is cool. Thanks for sharing that, AEF.

sodascouts
08-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Cool to hear about him outside of his role as "Felder Replacement." He sounds like a really interesting guy.

TimothyBFan
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
She writes "I didn't understand Steuart's working style at first and made fun of him a bit to Rodney. He seemed extremely obsessive and overly meticulous, and I sensed a self-consciousness in his demeanor that made me feel awkward, I slowly realized, over the course of the first few weeks of work, that Steuart was one if the most deeply sensitive musicians I had ever encountered,

Those few words to me explain exactly why he's with the Eagles now. :thumbsup:

GlennLover
08-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Cool to hear about him outside of his role as "Felder Replacement." He sounds like a really interesting guy.

Yes. Nice to hear something about him as his own person without a comparison to Felder. That quote said alot about him as a musician & a person.

luvthelighthouse
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Those few words to me explain exactly why he's with the Eagles now. :thumbsup:

I saw, extremely obsessive and overly meticulous, and had the EXACT same thought TBF! :hilarious:

AzEaglesFan
08-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I was thinking the same thing. No wonder Glen, Don and Steuart seem to get along. A few pages from that quote she does mention that he is now with the Eagles but that is the only reference to the Eagles, none about any of the guys.

tequila girl
04-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Thought i'd resurrect this thread as i've just finished reading "Grumpy Old Rock Star: and other Wonderous Stories" and "Further Adventures of a Grumpy Old Rock Star" by Rick Wakeman. What a good writer he is :D the first was amusing, but by the second I think he must have really got into his stride it was hilarious (not all the way through) but certainly had me laughing out loud on quite a few occasions :nod:

Next up is "Say Yes!" .....i'll let you know about that one - but for anyone wanting a laugh i'd recommend him! :thumbsup:

Annabel
04-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Ooh glad you brought this thread back to life Carole. I hadn't seen it and I need a book to read. Looking for suggestions please people. :-)

I've read so far.

To the Limit the untold story of the Eagles - Marc Elliot
The Eagles an American Band - Andrew Vaughan
Runway runaway -Lorelei Shellist

What should I go for next? Band or smut! :lol:

Prettymaid
04-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I love this thread. Keep the reviews coming!

TimothyBFan
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Been going crazy on the rock autobiographies lately. Finished Life by Keith, reading Red by Sammy right now and have Appetite for My Destruction, Clapton, Ozzy and about a dozen more lined up behind it. Also have Steve Tyler's preordered for next month.

Thanks for the recommendation Carole. Will be getting them both.

Troubadour
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I've almost finished reading ''Room'' by Emma Donoghue. It is an amazing book - I would highly recommend it! It is written from the perspective of a five year old boy named Jack, who has been kept in a locked room with his mother since birth. It's sad, funny, heartbreaking, inspiring, endearing and different to anything I've read before. I raced through it... Couldn't put it down. I'd be really interested to hear what other people think, if you do read it.

Molly
04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Just finished Stephen King's latest "Full Dark, No Stars".

The book is comprised of 4 short stories. I was so excited when I picked the book up and realized I was getting short stories. Some of his best work has been in that format (not to mention the best movies made from his work ie. Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me).

He's back to his true form with these stories. So, if you're a fan of his, you'll absolutely love it! Be prepared to take a walk on the dark side. Can't wait to see the movie versions of a couple of them!

TimothyBFan
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Finished Red by Sammy Hagar this weekend. He had a whole chapter dedicated to our own Irving Azoff. Good and bad things to say about him. Calls him a genius but also states that he almost to interested in making money with his bigger acts than the smaller ones. Also says he's very good at making problems so he can solve them to look good.

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
How did you like the "Red" book Willie? I have it, Ozzy's book, Steven Tyler's new book, Nikki Sixx's book, and Eddie Trunk's new photo book on my list to get and probably will add Sammy's book too.

Did you hear that Duff McKagan (sp) is writing a new book?!

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Loved Red but I'm a huge Red Rocker fan so not very surprising. I will warn anyone who's going to read it to expect horrible things about Eddie & Alex. I doubt any of them are untrue but it was very disturbing to read some of the stuff. I had no idea that Eddie had gotten into the shape he had. Very sad really. And there is no love lost at all between Sammy and David Lee Roth. :hilarious: I had no idea that Sammy was such a business man! Not only the tequilla business, but he's had many business ventures that have done him very well over the years.

Speaking of DLR--if you haven't read it yet, read David's book also. I've always been more of a Van Hagar than Van Halen girl and not a huge David fan but I found a whole new respect for him after reading it. It could have been called the "I Love Myself" book but I expected that. :hilarious:

Austin-I also took your advice and started reading Steven Adler's book last night. Of course it's still early in the book (before the really bad stuff) but I think I'm gonna like it.

Next up will be Steve Tyler's book I have preordered for next month. Can't wait. I also have Ozzy here and ready to go and Clapton up soon also.

You made my day about the Duff book!!! :partytime: I hadn't heard he was doing that! Slash's was my favorite rock autobiography yet, and like I said, I'm sure I'm going to like Steven's so will really look forward to Duff's!

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Austin needs to quit talking about books because every time he does, it cost me money!! :hilarious:

While looking for Eddie Trunk's book on Amazon, I noticed that Zak Wylde also has a new book. About $40 later I have Eddie's book plus 2 by Ted Nugent. I have an addiction and I need HELP!!! :brickwall: And a whole lot more time to read all these!

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 11:36 AM
But they help you be the rock & roll expert that you are! ;) Keep reading!

And then share little tidbits with us! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
It's funny you should bring that up. While I was posting John Kay's birthday in the birthday thread this morning, I was actually thinking about when I posted it last year (and we're all still here!) and added about him being legally blind. A few of you asked, how in the world do I know these things!?!:hilarious: Well, you've all learned now! Just worthless little rock n roll trivia tidbits I retain as I read these books.

Brooke
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I'd forgotten that Willie. I do remember reading that last year, too. What a shame.

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Austin needs to quit talking about books because every time he does, it cost me money!! :hilarious:

It works both ways I'm afraid. Had no clue about the Wylde or Nugent books and just put them on my list! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
:hilarious: I had to buy both the Nug books I didn't have. Already have the cookbook and had it signed at a book signing at Barnes & Noble when it first came out.

You didn't add Red to your list?

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Nope it's on my list too!!

I've got Steven Tyler's new book, Red, Eddie Trunk's new book, Zakk Wylde's new book, and probably will put both Nugent books on my list too. Oh, almost forgot I have to add Nikki Sixx's and Vince Neil's book because I don't have those. I have "The Dirt" and Tommy Lee's book though. Now Mick Mars just needs to write a book! :rofl:

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I usually have more patience and wait a while till the price comes way down in the used section....only exception is anything Burritos, Byrds, Eagles, Poco. And I'll go for the Byrds first.:angel:

I feel almost ashamed - I've never listened to the Burritos OR Poco. The Byrds I like though. I really liked Clarence White's guitar playing with his B-Bender Tele.

EaglesFanatic
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I feel almost ashamed - I've never listened to the Burritos OR Poco.

What?! You have to listen to Poco, they're awesome! They're definitely in my top five favorite bands.

I just finished To The Limit (untold story of the Eagles), finally lol. It was a really entertaining book, I enjoyed it. I also recently finished reading Farewell To Arms. Now that one wasn't so enjoyable :shrug:. I just thought it was very repetitive.

Willie, I saw that you read Life. Was it any good?

TimothyBFan
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Willie, I saw that you read Life. Was it any good?

I thought it was but we are huge Stones fans (my hubby's fave band). Lots of good stuff about the making of their albums, his family, the drugs, the people that have been involved over the years and of course Mick's ego!! :hilarious: And what's really amazing is the fact that he remembers ANY of it!! It is a very long book so be prepared. I do think it's a must for any rock n roll lover tho! I mean, it's freakin' KEITH RICHARDS afterall!!!

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I thought it was but we are huge Stones fans (my hubby's fave band). Lots of good stuff about the making of their albums, his family, the drugs, the people that have been involved over the years and of course Mick's ego!! :hilarious: And what's really amazing is the fact that he remembers ANY of it!! It is a very long book so be prepared. I do think it's a must for any rock n roll lover tho! I mean, it's freakin' KEITH RICHARDS afterall!!!

I agree with this! Great book!

WalshFan88
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Willie - I just was looking through books again and I see Brian Johnson of AC/DC has a new book coming out too so I had to put it on my list... Just thought I'd tell you about it - I'm sure that's just what you wanted to hear, huh?! :lol:

TimothyBFan
04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
You really have to learn to keep those things to yourself!! :lol: No, didn't know about that one either!

Still don't see a pre sale or date on Amazon for Duff's book. Where did you see he was writing it and did it give a time frame?

Loving Steve Adler's book (when I get a chance to read it--real life really keeps getting in the way of the stuff I love to do). Love where he was talking about as young teens, he and Slash walked out of Tower Records as Benjamin Orr went by in his Rolls Royce, looking all rock star with a beautiful woman with him. I thought it was pretty neat that he remembered that and told himself then that he wanted to do that also.

Thanks for the recommend of Eddie Trunk's book. Received it and the 2 Nugent books yesterday and flipped through Trunk's book. What a fun book. Really want to check out the Eddie's Playlist he has for each band. What a wealth of info he is about all things heavy metal!

WalshFan88
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Duff's book is scheduled to be released in the Fall of this year according to Wikipedia.

Here is a link talking about it!

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/mckagan-my-book-wont-be-a-guns-n-roses-tell-all_1136897

Troubadour
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Just finished "Candlemoth" by one of my favourite authors, R.J. Ellory. A fantastic book. I would also highly recommend A Quiet Belief In Angels by him.

I've got to share this... I wrote on his FB wall to tell him how much I enjoyed Candlemoth, and he responded saying that I'd made his day etc. He also commented on the fact that I had a new guitar strap (he'd obviously flipped onto my profile.) He then said that he was recording a CD with his band in June. I responded "How exciting - best of luck with it!" and he said "I'll send you a copy when it's done." How flippin' cool is that?! Now I like him even more. LOL.

Seriously though... he's an amazing writer. His books are very real, often harrowing, but beautiful. I was hooked after I read A Quiet Belief In Angels.

I've just started "The Stonehenge Legacy" by Sam Christer. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I'm "into it" already. It's reminiscent of Dan Brown. Worth a mention.

MikeA
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I said it on FB, but will say it here too: I like the strap. It reminds me of the days of "Flower Power!"

I have a similar one if you don't look too closely. Mine's a lot wider to use on my heavy Semi Hollow Body Epiphone Sheraton II, and it is not "flowered". It has an Inca Indian Mosaic pattern but at a glance, it sort of looks like flowers.

I've threatened over the years to start making guitar straps. I used to tool leather a lot and have done gun belts and holsters as well as wallets and purses and notebook covers. I have no idea what leather costs these days. Maybe that is why you see so few tooled leather straps.

TimothyBFan
04-21-2011, 08:41 AM
That is very cool Lou!!! You have a way with the "celebs" don't ya? They seem to respond to you on FB! (hmmmm -who was that other guy that made you so happy when he responded to you....Danny something?) :lol:

Troubadour
04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Mike - if you ever do get out that toolkit again, I would genuinely love to have something that you have made. Of course I would pay for it! Handmade things are so much more meaningful. Especially if they've been crafted by a friend. :)

Willie - I am amazed by the contact that we are able to have with many talented people through networking sites like FB! It's very cool. And yes, I may have been a little excited when I got that email... LOL. :blush:

04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
That is awesome, Troub! Hope he makes good on that CD.

WalshFan88
04-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Very cool Troub!

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow, that is awesome Troub! Must be your cute profile photo. ;)

TimothyBFan
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Oh great, another one I will have to buy!!!

Playing Rebel Yell on the radio and they mentioned that Billy had a book coming out soon also. So I went searching, and sure enough!

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/billy-idol-lands-book-deal-with-simon-schusters-touchstone-imprint_b13432

End of 2011 or beginning 2012!

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Oh great, another one I will have to buy!!!

Playing Rebel Yell on the radio and they mentioned that Billy had a book coming out soon also. So I went searching, and sure enough!

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/billy-idol-lands-book-deal-with-simon-schusters-touchstone-imprint_b13432

End of 2011 or beginning 2012!

:lol: Very cool!

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Here is the preorder for Duff's book, Willie. They just now posted it. It comes out in October.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-So-Easy-other-lies/dp/145160663X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304658517&sr=1-1

TimothyBFan
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks Austin. It's now been preordered. And of course when you order, it brings up other suggestions :evil: so I also was forced to buy Scott Weiland's book that comes out in a little over a week. Damn Amazon and their suggestions and tempting free shipping for orders over $25!! :cuss: :hilarious:

Received Steven Tyler's book yesterday so hope to get it started this weekend!! Very cool pictures in it and looks to be a pretty good story.

Brooke
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I definitely know what you mean, Willie. I have quite a list over at Amazon. I need to go ahead and order so I can get started on them!

I want Steven's book, too!

WalshFan88
05-08-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm not sure if you are a Journey fan Willie but there is a new Journey book coming out - the only one out there that I've heard of.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Stop-Believin-Untold-Journey/dp/1849386579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304849049&sr=1-1

PS: How is Steven's book? I really want to get that one. Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands of all time.

TimothyBFan
05-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I love Journey but I think I'd want an "official" book, KWIM?

I'm only about 100 pages into Steven's book and he is cracking me up!!! He's talking about his childhood in Yonkers (his family was very eccentric) and his teen years about some of the rock and roll stars he would run into in New York (how he went to a Zeppelin concert and saw the girl he was living with at the time coming out of a dressing room with Jimmy Page-explaining she always did love rock stars and how he first saw Joe Perry who made the best french fries ever at a roller rink he frequented). I think it's going to be a great read. Some great pictures in it also.

WalshFan88
05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I love Journey but I think I'd want an "official" book, KWIM?

I'm only about 100 pages into Steven's book and he is cracking me up!!! He's talking about his childhood in Yonkers (his family was very eccentric) and his teen years about some of the rock and roll stars he would run into in New York (how he went to a Zeppelin concert and saw the girl he was living with at the time coming out of a dressing room with Jimmy Page-explaining she always did love rock stars and how he first saw Joe Perry who made the best french fries ever at a roller rink he frequented). I think it's going to be a great read. Some great pictures in it also.

Yeah an official Journey book would be nice but I don't see it happening. I like some of the biographies and stuff written by other people that were close to the band, autobiographies are nice but I also enjoy some of the stuff written by outside people. Stephen Davis writes some good ones about Led Zeppelin, GNR, etc. I'll probably get this book just because I don't see any autobiographies coming out anytime soon. Kind of like my Eagles books, the only "official" one is Heaven and Hell, even though To The Limit had some interviews in it - I don't consider it an official book. IMO, official means written by someone in the band. Not just an outside story that the band authorizes. IMO there is no difference between an outside story that is authorized or not. Both can be good. I just like reading the stories anyway - hehehehe! :lol:

Glad to hear the Steven Tyler book is going well. Hope to get it soon! :)

TimothyBFan
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
This one doesn't really interest me to much but maybe someone here would like to know about it. For Billy Corgan. My daughter will probably be all over it.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/billy-corgan-to-publish-autobiography/

Glennhoney
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
...just to say that I finally bought a KINDLE....they're still not available in Canada, but got it through Amazon.com, and so far, I'm LOVING it....I've already read 2 books off it...the only thing that bothers me is that some books are not available in Canada....BUMMER....hope that changes soon.........

Lisa
05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm reading the paperback current re-issue of Scott Turow's through-composed, concisely descriptive flowing prose in "Presumed Innocent."

WalshFan88
05-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Willie - How did Steven's book turn out?! I have a list of books to get that's about 2 pages long but that one is at the top of the list. I really love Aerosmith. Then my rock book collection will be complete until someone else writes another. I'd REALLY like for Axl Rose to do an autobiography as well as Joe Perry from Aerosmith, one of my faves. Also would love to see a Walsh autobiography but I have a feeling that probably won't happen. But I love reading these rock memoir's and biographies/autobiographies! I love reading about all of the excess too of course! :D :hilarious: Can't get enough of those stories!

TimothyBFan
05-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm about 2/3 through it (not enough time to read everything I want to read as fast as I want to). He's hysterical sometimes but kinda all over the place. I actually had to set it down yesterday because it was p*ssing me off a bit with his "feel sorry for me" attitude in the chapter I'm reading. Talking about how his wives didn't understand that rock stars have to look and sleep with other women because it's "their jobs" and how no one understands how hard he's got it putting in 12 hour days and that guitarists have techs to change their strings but no one can fix his voice, yadda, yadda, yadda..... Yeah, right Steven---poor, poor pitiful you, so misunderstood and abused!!! Geesh!

Anyways, it's pretty good tho. Can't wait to finish it. Not sure what's next, thinking one of Nugent's books. Can't wait to get my hands on Duff's and Scott Weiland's books in October. (Scott's is already out but I wanted to save on postage so ordered them together, so I have to wait).

BTW--Heard Billy Idol is writing a book also. The Sirius dj said that those that have read parts of it says it's fabulous and that he doesn't need a co-writer because he does such a great job himself. That should be a good one!

So many books, so little time to indulge!! :hilarious:

Troubadour
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I finished RJ Ellory's "The Anniversary Man" a week or so ago. It had me completely gripped. My heart was racing most of the way through! It's about a serial killer... quite graphic and unsettling, but very, very good. I've moved on to Harlan Coben's "Caught" now, which looks promising.

I picked up a biography of Bill Clinton at the library the other day, which I am going to start after "Caught". Does anybody have any biographies or autobiographies they would like to recommend to me? I'm particularly interested in historical and political figures.

Freypower
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Biographies? Where do you want me to start?

Nicholas & Alexandra - Robert K. Massie
Churchill - Roy Jenkins
The Queen - Bem Pimlott
Cromwell: Our Chief Of Men - Antonia Fraser
Mary Queen Of Scots - Antonia Fraser
The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Antonia Fraser
Hitler - Ian Kershaw
Memoirs - Mikhail Gorbachev
The Arrogance Of Power (Nixon) - Anthony Summers

sodascouts
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII by David Starkey is also very good.

EaglesKiwi
07-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Does anyone here like historical fiction & have some to recommend?

sodascouts
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Oh, I love historical fiction! Right now I'm reading Phillippa Gregory's Red Queen because I enjoyed The Constant Princess, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool, The Virgin Lover, and The White Queen so much. However, I recommend staying away from her Wideacre series (the books are overlong and boring) and The Wise Woman (one of the worst books I've read in a long time).

Freypower
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
My daughter has read Philippa Gregory but I go all the way back to Jean Plaidy; that's old.

I suppose you could classify Tolstoy's War & Peace in this category; it is IMO the greatest book ever written but probably not for everybody.

And then there is Gone With The Wind. Need I say more?

I strongly recommend Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth & World Without End.

I also recommend Margaret George's The Autobiography of Henry VIII.

I even have Australian books to recommend - Grand Days & Dark Palace by Frank Moorhouse, about the founding of the League of Nations. My mother went to school with Frank Moorhouse & my copy of Grand Days is autographed.

My husband would recommend the entire Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser.

The Plot Against America - Philip Roth

And how could I leave out the second greatest book ever written, Joseph Heller's Catch-22. (I think WWII qualifies as 'historical' these days).

07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
And there is my personal all-time favorite - Dr. Zhivago

EaglesKiwi
07-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Woohoo, thanks for all the suggestions!

I will concur with FP's recommendation on Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth (brilliant) and World Without End (which is a semi-sequel - a little "the same" but still very good).

I'm going to try out some Philippa Gregory and Frank Moorhouse first up, then go through some of the others. I did try War & Peace when I was at school, but didn't really have the patience for it then. :eyebrow:

FP - you mention Jean Plaidy - have you read any of her "writing as Philippa Carr" books? The series is referred to as "Daughters of England" and the first one is set in Henry 8th's time, each following book is written by the next generation.

Freypower
07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Woohoo, thanks for all the suggestions!

I will concur with FP's recommendation on Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth (brilliant) and World Without End (which is a semi-sequel - a little "the same" but still very good).

I'm going to try out some Philippa Gregory and Frank Moorhouse first up, then go through some of the others. I did try War & Peace when I was at school, but didn't really have the patience for it then. :eyebrow:

FP - you mention Jean Plaidy - have you read any of her "writing as Philippa Carr" books? The series is referred to as "Daughters of England" and the first one is set in Henry 8th's time, each following book is written by the next generation.

I knew about both her pseudonyms of Philippa Carr & Victoria Holt. I tried Victoria Holt but that was 'gothic romance' stuff which didn't interest me. I didn't read any of the Carr books. But someone else I should have mentioned is Georgette Heyer who specialised in the Regency period (a la Jane Austen). Once you read one, however, you had read them all. They were all the same (there were a lot of them).

EaglesFanatic
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I just bought Long Ago And Far Away-James Taylor; His Life And Music written by Timothy White. It looks great! Has anyone here read it?

EaglesKiwi
08-14-2011, 05:16 AM
I just bought Long Ago And Far Away-James Taylor; His Life And Music written by Timothy White. It looks great! Has anyone here read it?
No, but looking forward to your thoughts once you've read it :thumbsup:

Have just finished Philippa Gregory's The White Queen and Antonia Fraser's Six Wives of Henry VIII - enjoyed both very much, thanks for the recommendations.

Antonia Fraser was very readable, with some astute commentary.

The Frank Moorhouse "Grand Days" book has just come in from the library.

WalshFan88
08-30-2011, 08:28 PM
There is a new book coming out about Fleetwood Mac that looks like it might be interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402786301/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KAKAAPJAF2SQ9PPN8CT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Also there is a new book coming out about Mick Jagger:

http://www.amazon.com/Jagger-Rebel-Rock-Rambler-Rogue/dp/1592406556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314753653&sr=1-1

sodascouts
08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
The publisher of the FM book is the same one who put out Andrew Vaughn's Eagles book. I wonder if this one will be along the same lines?

TimothyBFan
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
There is a new book coming out about Fleetwood Mac that looks like it might be interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402786301/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KAKAAPJAF2SQ9PPN8CT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Also there is a new book coming out about Mick Jagger:

http://www.amazon.com/Jagger-Rebel-Rock-Rambler-Rogue/dp/1592406556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314753653&sr=1-1

Oh, Austin, we need to win the lottery to keep up with these, don't we? :hilarious: Going to Amazon now to check them out and preorder if it's available.

Looking forward to October when a couple of my already preordered books will be published. I know Duff McKagan is one of them but I can't even remember which other one(s) I have coming. That's ridiculous! :hilarious:

ETA: Duff, Scott Weiland and duh.... The new Eagles book all preordered for October. How could I forget the Eagles book? Geesh!! :brickwall: Just preordered the 2 above, Mick is scheduled to be released next week but to save on the shipping, I went ahead and ordered it to come with the FM one in October also.

Looks like a lot of new stuff for October--glad I ordered my new glasses last night. :hilarious:

Brooke
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
I just read The Help. It was great and very funny! I'd like to see the movie too.

sodascouts
08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a couple friends who absolutely love The Help and have recommended it to me. They enjoyed the movie, too.

pueblo47
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I just read The Help. It was great and very funny! I'd like to see the movie too.A friend and I went to see the movie Monday. It was excellent, 2 hours 17 mins and no one moved from their seat the whole time. A fascinating look at life in '62 Mississippi.

Got the book today, more detailed than the movie, highly recommend both.

WalshFan88
09-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Oh, Austin, we need to win the lottery to keep up with these, don't we? :hilarious: Going to Amazon now to check them out and preorder if it's available.

Looking forward to October when a couple of my already preordered books will be published. I know Duff McKagan is one of them but I can't even remember which other one(s) I have coming. That's ridiculous! :hilarious:

ETA: Duff, Scott Weiland and duh.... The new Eagles book all preordered for October. How could I forget the Eagles book? Geesh!! :brickwall: Just preordered the 2 above, Mick is scheduled to be released next week but to save on the shipping, I went ahead and ordered it to come with the FM one in October also.

Looks like a lot of new stuff for October--glad I ordered my new glasses last night. :hilarious:

No kidding! So many coming out. I'm addicted to these books though. I love reading about all of the innocent things and the great things they've done. :lie::hilarious:

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Received notice over the weekend that all of my pre-ordered books are being prepared for shipping. I will be receiving Mick Jagger, Scott Weiland and Duff McKagan's autobiographies and the new books about the Eagles & Fleetwood Mac. I also had 2 new cds pre-ordered that are being released this week also, the new Chickenfoot and the ZZ Top Tribute cds. I'll be busy when all of these arrive....and BROKE!!! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Ah but you'll have fun Willie! Enjoy them all! You deserve a treat.

WalshFan88
10-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Have you had a chance to read any of these books you preordered, Willie? I'm getting ready to place a big Amazon order tomorrow. :grin:

TimothyBFan
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Have flipped through Jagger---pretty interesting stuff and some different points of view from Keith. I've noticed them talking about the same things but both of them have totally different versions of how things went down. :hilarious: I doubt it would be all the drugs at the time that would cause that.

Almost done with Duff's book. Really good read!!!! Learned a lot about him. For instance, he suffers from panic attacks that have really devastated his life at times. Really goes into depth about his recovery. I recommend it, especially if you've read Steven's & Slash's.

The Disco Strangler
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Just finished Duff McKagan's It's So Easy--And Other Lies

The Disco Strangler
01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Now reading Metal, Madness and Mayhem by Mike Flaherty

Brooke
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I've just started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 600 pages to go!

WalshFan88
01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Just finished the new Eagles book "Taking It To The Limit". Besides some random factual errors, I think this is my favorite Eagles book. It also has my favorite pictures of all of the books. There is one of Walsh and Felder I actually love and hadn't seen before and scanned it into my computer and will post soon. I love it!

TimothyBFan
02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Just preordered Gregg Allman's book due out May 1st!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Cross-Bear-Gregg-Allman/dp/0062112031/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329413747&sr=8-3

Glennhoney
02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Just finished reading "Life" by Keith RIchards and I thought that his description of his and Jagger's relationship could probably fit Glenn & Don's relationship (and of many music collaborators)....they are not best friends, but rather like 2 brothers who own a business together...they don't always agree, sometimes they just plain hate each other, but when they get on stage together, that's where they're at their best.....:rockon:

TimothyBFan
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
You are exactly right GH!!! Wasn't that a great book? :thumbsup:

Troubadour
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Just preordered Gregg Allman's book due out May 1st!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Cross-Bear-Gregg-Allman/dp/0062112031/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329413747&sr=8-3

I love Gregg!

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok, Austin, a couple more books I just received in the mail. Older ones but wondered if you've read them. One is Fab, The Intimate Life of Paul McCartney (I also wonder if Cathy's read this one) and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead by Crystal Zevon about Warren. They're both huge books so don't know when I'll get around to reading them. I've also put a book called Freak Out by Pauline Butcher on my Amazon wish list about Frank Zappa. Want to know what made his mind work the way it did.

Anxiously awaiting next month's release of the Gregg Allman book!!!!!

Prettymaid
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Nope, haven't read the McCartney book Willie.

WalshFan88
04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
That Zevon book sounds familiar - I'll have to see if I have it or not.. I'm pretty sure I don't have the McCartney book though.

There are several on my list that I want to get. The Allman book should be pretty interesting!!

I saw where Bret Michaels and Peter Criss are writing books, and Joe Perry is considering the idea...

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I actually heard that the Joe Perry one is a definite and not to far off in the future!! Very cool!!!!

Don't know how interested you'd be in this one, but I'm also waiting for the Billy Idol one to hit the shelves. I hear he was an excellent writer and they say he didn't need a ghost writer or much help. Interesting!!

zeldabjr
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
I just got Felder's book today... am looking forward to reading his take on everything...miss him.

WalshFan88
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I actually heard that the Joe Perry one is a definite and not to far off in the future!! Very cool!!!!

Don't know how interested you'd be in this one, but I'm also waiting for the Billy Idol one to hit the shelves. I hear he was an excellent writer and they say he didn't need a ghost writer or much help. Interesting!!

I hope so! Big Joe Perry fan.

I would be interested in the Idol book I think - I like some of his songs (White Wedding, Rebel Yell, etc).

Also I saw the Zakk Wylde book just came out too.

TimothyBFan
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Anyone here read or reading the Fifty Shades Of Grey trilogy? I am in the middle of book 1 and all I can say is HOT!!!!

I also received my copy of My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Don't know when I'll get to it but it looks really good.

zeldabjr
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Anyone here read or reading the Fifty Shades Of Grey trilogy? I am in the middle of book 1 and all I can say is HOT!!!!

I also received my copy of My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Don't know when I'll get to it but it looks really good.

my niece recommended them to me...she calls it her "mommy porn"

Topkat
05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Just finished reading "Life" by Keith RIchards and I thought that his description of his and Jagger's relationship could probably fit Glenn & Don's relationship (and of many music collaborators)....they are not best friends, but rather like 2 brothers who own a business together...they don't always agree, sometimes they just plain hate each other, but when they get on stage together, that's where they're at their best.....:rockon:

I started reading this book & I found it hard to get through. I took it out of the library, but the beginning of the book was very dragged out. A lot of music theory in it. That stuff may be interesting to a guitar player, but to me it was too technical. I may get it again to finish it, but there were a few other bios I had at the time, so I just returned it.

I liked Steven Tyler's bio. Seems he skipped over a bit of stuff though, but it was an interesting read.

sodascouts
05-10-2012, 10:10 PM

I've heard varying opinions. I don't think I'd find it hot. I hate the idea of a man getting off by completely controlling his sexual partner ala BDSM (bondage, domination, and sado-masochism).

For those unfamiliar with it, here's the summary from Wikipedia:

"The plot traces the relationship between recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and manipulative billionaire Christian Grey. Steele is required by Grey to sign a contract allowing him complete control over her life. As she gets to know him she learns that his sexual tastes involve bondage, domination and sadism, and that childhood abuse left him a deeply damaged individual. In order to be his partner she agrees to experiment with BDSM, but struggles to reconcile who she is (a virgin who has never previously had a boyfriend) with whom Christian wants her to be: his submissive, to-do-with-as-he-pleases partner in his "Red Room of Pain."

Yeah. Not my thing.

GlennLover
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I've heard varying opinions. I don't think I'd find it hot. I hate the idea of a man getting off by completely controlling his sexual partner ala BDSM (bondage, domination, and sado-masochism).

For those unfamiliar with it, here's the summary from Wikipedia:

"The plot traces the relationship between recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and manipulative billionaire Christian Grey. Steele is required by Grey to sign a contract allowing him complete control over her life. As she gets to know him she learns that his sexual tastes involve bondage, domination and sadism, and that childhood abuse left him a deeply damaged individual. In order to be his partner she agrees to experiment with BDSM, but struggles to reconcile who she is (a virgin who has never previously had a boyfriend) with whom Christian wants her to be: his submissive, to-do-with-as-he-pleases partner in his "Red Room of Pain."
Yeah. Not my thing.

Doesn't sound like my thing either. The book has been all over the media in the past few days.

TimothyBFan
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
That is a horrible description of this book. Yes, it's got the basics but the story goes a lot deeper than that. You don't have to be into S & M in order to enjoy the book. Geesh!!! I have about a dozen friends that are reading it right now and not one of them has stopped reading it or complained about it. It is a really good book and I'm very anxious to get to the next 2 in the trilogy. I have one friend that had a weekend to herself and literally read all 3 books from Friday to Sunday night. But then this kind of stuff has never bothered me so maybe I'm warped. Who knows? :headscratch:

zeldabjr
05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
That is a horrible description of this book. Yes, it's got the basics but the story goes a lot deeper than that. You don't have to be into S & M in order to enjoy the book. Geesh!!! I have about a dozen friends that are reading it right now and not one of them has stopped reading it or complained about it. It is a really good book and I'm very anxious to get to the next 2 in the trilogy. I have one friend that had a weekend to herself and literally read all 3 books from Friday to Sunday night. But then this kind of stuff has never bothered me so maybe I'm warped. Who knows? :headscratch:
I just got the first one today but haven't started it yet.
zelda

TimothyBFan
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I'll be anxious to know what you think, Zelda. I'm almost done with #2 and still loving them. I don't care what anyone thinks, it's a darn good trilogy! And it's HOT!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Topkat
06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I just started reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" So far I am not that impressed with the writing skills of this author. Actually kind of reminds me of my own style of writing, but I really don't have writing skills. The storyline so far is not really grabbing me, but I am only about 60 pages into it, so I haven't really gotten into it yet. I haven't gotten to the "porn" yet. The whole idea of the story is a bit of a turn off, as I could never see how someone could actually consent to this kind of thing, however I will continue with it. Maybe it will get better as it goes deeper into the story. With all the press over this book, I felt I should give it a read...to be continued.

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
I just started reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" So far I am not that impressed with the writing skills of this author. Actually kind of reminds me of my own style of writing, but I really don't have writing skills. The storyline so far is not really grabbing me, but I am only about 60 pages into it, so I haven't really gotten into it yet. I haven't gotten to the "porn" yet. The whole idea of the story is a bit of a turn off, as I could never see how someone could actually consent to this kind of thing, however I will continue with it. Maybe it will get better as it goes deeper into the story. With all the press over this book, I felt I should give it a read...to be continued.
I have a number of colleagues who have read it, however I've also heard that it's not very well written & the text is very repetitive... I'd be interested in your verdict once you're a little further through.

Windeagle
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I've disappeared off the face of The Border recently because I started reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I borrowed the first book from a friend and have become hopelessly hooked. I blasted through it - all 800+ pages - in a week, and I'm not even a fast reader! I just finished the second book in the series last night. There are 5 more equally sizable novels to go, so I'll be at this for some time.

Has anyone else read it?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I believe I have read the entire series more than once! It's been awhile though. I can definitely understand why you haven't been around. I wasn't able to put them down either. I do read very fast and I still have no intentions of picking them back up again!

Brooke
07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Welcome back We! I don't know those books, but I have been reading The Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. They are really good and there are 8 or 9 volumes that get thicker as you go. I'm on #4. I'm a slow reader and just read when I have time, so it takes me a while. And it must be very, very good for me to miss my time here! lol

Tiffanny Twisted
07-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Books...hardly come in contact with one I wont read.

Keith Richards is on the pile as is Patti Smith, and Big Man(clarence CLemons).

Yes , I have read the first book in the 50 Shades of Grey series.
I am now reading the second one and I better move it cause JHAA had finished 50 shades of Grey and is ready for the second book. (2 picks up where 1 leaves off)

Now, just to clarify, originallly I didnt even give it a look till I started hearing all the buzz around town. Then I decided that I wanted to read it and make my own choice, especially after I heard that it was to be a "banned book" at the librarys.
Years ago, I tried to take out Peyton Place (one of my all time favs) and I will never forget the short little blue haired lady who answered me with"Oh honey , that was a banned book.We don't have it". That has stayed with me for my whole life. I have a mind and I can make it up myself, That being said, I bought the second one when I was half way through the first one (on the way to see TBS @keswick). And I was glad I did since 2 picks up right after 1 and I felt like I was hanging.

So there you have it.
:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Oh , yeah, My Cross to bear is on my list too.

I did read Don Felders book. ANd I love "Take It to the LImit"(the book)

Topkat
07-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I did read 50 Shades of Grey but I will not be reading the rest of the trilogy. I did not like these characters. I found this character Ana to be totally unrealistic, I mean a virgin, at 22 that had made it all through college without even having an Email address?? OMG. Oh & she NEVER masturbated? really? Then she has 3 orgasms her first time?

Oh & Christian Grey is the kind of arrogant SOB that I could not stomach. If any man ever presented me with a "contract" of our sex life, I would throw it in his face before I spit at him! I don't care how rich or handsome he was. Yeah, I know he has "issues" but I really don't care what they are. The whole book just had me annoyed that Ana put up with this guys crap just because he was rich & good looking! This book sets the woman's lib movement back 60 years. I know it's supposed to be "love story" but to me it was just a bunch of 5 minute sex acts, a lot of them! LOL

Topkat
07-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I would like to say a good word about a book that I HIGHLY recommend. It's called, "Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days & Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, & the Women They Loved" BY CHRIS O'DELL.

This was a real page turner, from a young girl who was there from the beginning, working at Apple Records for the Beatles, became George & Patti Harrison's assistant & lived with them at Friar Park, toured with the Stones, slept with several rock stars including a Beatle. She wasn't famous, not even almost famous, but she was along for the ride of a lifetime. She had the job we all wished we had!!!! A fantastic read & highly recommended for any rock fangirl!!
A MUST!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
07-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear from you, WE! I've never heard of that series, but it must be good.

TT, so you and JAHH are both reading those books, eh? hmmm ;)

Troubadour
07-21-2012, 03:05 AM
I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and I don't really have much desire to read it. I might succumb eventually just so that I know what everyone's talking about but it doesn't really appeal to me... I have no problem with hotness ;) but I'm not keen on amateurish or repetitive writing. I keep hearing that it's quite badly written. Guess I can't judge for myself till I've read it!

I've been reading a lot of children's literature in preparation for my teaching course, which I'm really enjoying! I've revisited old favourites like Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl, as well as newer popular kids' books like Horrid Henry. Michael Morpurgo is a wonderful author; I'm really enjoying his children's stories. I read one called 'The Last Wolf', which is a historical story about a boy and his wolf emigrating from Scotland to America. It's really enchanting and earthy.

Back to the adult stuff, I have just finished Karin Fossum's 'The Water's Edge', which was a well-written crime novel set in Norway. It wasn't a formulaic thriller - it was bleak and subtle and dealt a lot with characters and emotions and prejudices. It's a bit harrowing because the subject matter is largely about paedophilia (not something that's particularly obvious when you first pick it up) but, as I said, it's beautifully written and deals with different issues in an interesting way. It has more feeling and depth than most crime or police procedural novels.

I have quite a few books on loan from the library at the moment, so I'm just deciding what to read next!

Prettymaid
07-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I borrowed the first Fifty Shades of Grey after hearing the hype. I agree that it is poorly written and repetetive - so much so that although I was curious how the trilogy ends, I was not interested in reading the other two books. When I returned the first book to my friend I smiled and said, "I'm done", and she happily went on and on about how the rest of the trilogy went. So I got to find out how it ends without having to read any more of it!

Windeagle
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome back We! I don't know those books, but I have been reading The Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. They are really good and there are 8 or 9 volumes that get thicker as you go. I'm on #4. I'm a slow reader and just read when I have time, so it takes me a while. And it must be very, very good for me to miss my time here! lol

I read those back in high school and couldn't put them down. The entire series made the rounds of all the voracious readers in my family. I've always been big on historical fiction.

So far, the Outlander series reminds me a lot of the Kent series, except that there's a time travel twist and they're set primarily in Scotland.

Troubadour
07-22-2012, 08:35 PM
I need to read the Outlander series. Some of my friends are obsessed with it!

Prettymaid
07-22-2012, 08:55 PM
It sort of irks me that everything has become a series now. Sometimes I want the beginning, middle and end all to be within the pages of a single book!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-23-2012, 06:57 AM
It sort of irks me that everything has become a series now. Sometimes I want the beginning, middle and end all to be within the pages of a single book!
Yep, I agree.
That being said, I had to strart book two in the grey trilogy to find out what happens to them as a couple. At 600am I wasnt too pleased that the first book left you hanging and you had to go to the second book to find out what happened.
Guess its just another way of selling more books.
I vote for begining middle and end in one book. lol

tt

zeldabjr
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and I don't really have much desire to read it. I might succumb eventually just so that I know what everyone's talking about but it doesn't really appeal to me... I have no problem with hotness ;) but I'm not keen on amateurish or repetitive writing. I keep hearing that it's quite badly written. Guess I can't judge for myself till I've read it!

I've been reading a lot of children's literature in preparation for my teaching course, which I'm really enjoying! I've revisited old favourites like Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl, as well as newer popular kids' books like Horrid Henry. Michael Morpurgo is a wonderful author; I'm really enjoying his children's stories. I read one called 'The Last Wolf', which is a historical story about a boy and his wolf emigrating from Scotland to America. It's really enchanting and earthy.

Back to the adult stuff, I have just finished Karin Fossum's 'The Water's Edge', which was a well-written crime novel set in Norway. It wasn't a formulaic thriller - it was bleak and subtle and dealt a lot with characters and emotions and prejudices. It's a bit harrowing because the subject matter is largely about paedophilia (not something that's particularly obvious when you first pick it up) but, as I said, it's beautifully written and deals with different issues in an interesting way. It has more feeling and depth than most crime or police procedural novels.

I have quite a few books on loan from the library at the moment, so I'm just deciding what to read next!

Maybe I'll try 'The Water's Edge'...I love crime novels...sounds interesting...and after reading the Grey trilogy...don't want to read another series.

Troubadour
07-25-2012, 05:11 PM
It's worth a read! I just finished another Karin Fossum novel 'The Caller', which was very good. She thinks a lot about the mindset of the criminal and the impact that one action can have on an individual, a family and a community. Despite their literary quality, they are actually quite quick reads, which I like! Perfect for night shifts. ;) I'm interested in which other crime authors and novels you like... I love Harlan Coben and Karen Rose for fast, entertaining, tightly plotted thrillers. I also like Ian Rankin, James Ellroy and RJ Ellory. Always open to more suggestions!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
It's worth a read! I just finished another Karin Fossum novel 'The Caller', which was very good. She thinks a lot about the mindset of the criminal and the impact that one action can have on an individual, a family and a community. Despite their literary quality, they are actually quite quick reads, which I like! Perfect for night shifts. ;) I'm interested in which other crime authors and novels you like... I love Harlan Coben and Karen Rose for fast, entertaining, tightly plotted thrillers. I also like Ian Rankin, James Ellroy and RJ Ellory. Always open to more suggestions!
Try Lisa Scottoline.

She is awsome. Some off the top of my head:
Come Home
Save Me
DevilsCorner
These are stand alones.
She also has a series with a bunch of woman lawyers.

Check Her out..I have read them all by her

zeldabjr
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
went to the library to get The Water's Edge...they didn't have it...had to get it from another library...so I won't have it til probably Tues...frustrating when you're in a reading mood!:brickwall:

WalshFan88
07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
For those that like rockstar autobiographies/memoirs, Ann Wilson of Heart and Pete Townsend of the Who are writing books I just found out.

EagleLady
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Great to hear. I will be interested to read Pete's book. In October, Peter Criss's book comes out so can't wait to get that :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
07-27-2012, 07:26 AM
For those that like rockstar autobiographies/memoirs, Ann Wilson of Heart and Pete Townsend of the Who are writing books I just found out.

:blueblob: This is very happy news to me about Ann. I had heard about Pete's, but I probably won't read it. Any dates on the Ann one?

TimothyBFan
07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Just went in to Amazon and sure enough, it's there ready for preorder. Mine's on preorder now!!! Yay!!!!! Sounds great! Thanks Austin, for the heads up!

http://www.amazon.com/Kicking-Dreaming-Story-Heart-Soul/dp/0062101676/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343388421&sr=1-1&keywords=ann+wilson

TimothyBFan
07-27-2012, 07:40 AM
And of course, while searching for something to add to the Ann Wilson book for free shipping I found a pre-order for Rod Stewart's new autobiography coming out in October!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Rod-Autobiography-Stewart/dp/0307987302/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343389107&sr=1-5&keywords=autobiography+music

And this is how it begins..... :hilarious: $$$$$$$$$$$$

TimothyBFan
07-27-2012, 07:41 AM
And Neil Young available in October.......

http://www.amazon.com/Waging-Heavy-Peace-Neil-Young/dp/0399159460/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343389107&sr=1-6&keywords=autobiography+music

SallyGee
07-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Graham Nash is writing a book too.

zeldabjr
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
wow lots of great rocker bios coming out!...anyone think any of our guys will ever write one?

Topkat
07-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Word is out that Glenn is writing one....Who knows when it will be out? Could be a year.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Word is out that Glenn is writing one....Who knows when it will be out? Could be a year.

Or decade or never. I'm not holding my breath...

zeldabjr
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Hmm...interesting...does this guy ever rest?

zeldabjr
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Or decade or never. I'm not holding my breath...

You're right VA...you never know with these guys....I sure would love to read it....who wouldn't right?..

zeldabjr
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
went to the library to get The Water's Edge...they didn't have it...had to get it from another library...so I won't have it til probably Tues...frustrating when you're in a reading mood!:brickwall:

very happy...they just called and my book is in early...going to pick it up...can't wait to see how I like it....

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
You're right VA...you never know with these guys....I sure would love to read it....who wouldn't right?..

He said he's been working on it for a long time already and he used the notes from it to help with the upcoming DVD. Then he did say he wanted to finish it, but he has a lot of other stuff going on.

Topkat
07-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm not holding my breath either. Glenn is too busy with a lot of other stuff right now & then the Eagles will hopefully be touring next year, so the book is probably low on his priority list. Maybe another 3 or 4 years away! LOL

Tiffanny Twisted
08-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok his book is one I would love to read. He doesnt have to say bad things about others, he just has to talk about himself. RIght???

Glennsallnighter
08-17-2012, 07:05 PM

I too would say longer, if he is planning tours with the Eagles as well as solo shows. But hey, stranger things have happened - now that is one I would just LOVE to read!

zeldabjr
08-29-2012, 07:58 PM
I read "The Water's Edge" by Karin Fossum....very good...I will definitely look for more of her books...thanks for the recommendation Lou!

WalshFan88
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the Joe Perry autobiography. I know Steven's book pi$$ed off Joe so I'm curious what Joe has to say about everything and his own story. He's one of my favorite guitarists and so I'll be interested to read it.

Troubadour
09-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I read "The Water's Edge" by Karin Fossum....very good...I will definitely look for more of her books...thanks for the recommendation Lou!

You're very welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

Grey Sadler
09-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm reading "Life, The Universe, and Everything" (3rd of 5 by Douglas Adams--Hitchhicker's Guide "Trilogy")

Eagerly awaiting these autobiographies: Glenn, Joe Perry, Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS)...and rumor has it, Paul Stanley :hmm:
I suppose I should jump in and check out the opinions of Steven Tyler, Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss (his book is supposed to drop this fall?) :eyebrow:

zeldabjr
09-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I just ordered a book online by Lisa Scottoline...Devil's Corner...can't wait to read it..need to finish the Dean Koontz one I started on the AC trip!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
I just ordered a book online by Lisa Scottoline...Devil's Corner...can't wait to read it..need to finish the Dean Koontz one I started on the AC trip!

OOh...Zelda...you picked my favorite book by my favorite author...lol

Have you read any other ones of LIsa"s yet???

I am finishing up the second book in the Grey Trilogy...JAhh is waiting for it..lol and I have so much to do I am taking longer that usual.

zeldabjr
09-08-2012, 08:59 PM
OOh...Zelda...you picked my favorite book by my favorite author...lol

Have you read any other ones of LIsa"s yet???

I am finishing up the second book in the Grey Trilogy...JAhh is waiting for it..lol and I have so much to do I am taking longer that usual.

no I haven't read any of her books...this will be my first...a friend recommended her!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
no I haven't read any of her books...this will be my first...a friend recommended her!!!
:rofl::hilarious:

You are so funny. Cant wait to hear what you think of it..:hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
finally finished the second Grey book in the series.
I liked it better than the first one.
I took a break and am re reading take it to the limit before I tackle the third book.

Havent had as much time to read...have been super busy at work lately.
:computer:

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, I borrowed 50 Shades of Grey from a friend to see what all the fuss was about.

At first, I thought it was OK. I could kind of relate to Anastasia. I didn't like all the needless vulgarity, but I had been warned about that and tried not to let it distract me.

Then, I got to the part where he sends her the contract. Genital clamps?? Nipple clamps?? What could possibly be "hot" about hurting someone like that? I can kind of see how bondage could be hot if it was done so that it didn't hurt and both people were into it, but actual pain... that's another matter. In fact, it seems like a man who gets off on abusing the most sensitive parts of women during sex is pretty sick, as is a woman who gets off on being physically tortured by a man (sorry to all any "dom" or "sub" I'm offending). I got repulsed and had to put the book down.

Besides, I don't need to read it to know what's coming up. Let me guess. Initially resistant, Ana gives in because she loves him and of course he would never TRULY hurt her! Then she discovers she LIKES being "punished" and begs him for more, so it's all good! It will be "sweet torture" right?

I just can't stand to read a woman telling a man how much she loves it when he hurts her. "Please, Master! Torture me some more! It feels so good! And even if I tell you to stop, just keep going anyway, 'cause I'm sure eventually I'll be loving it!"

:puke:

And what kind of example does this set for young girls who are reading it and thinking how hot it would be to let a man hurt them? Guess what girls, the men who are into those kind of things are NOT romantic heroes and when they beat you, it doesn't "feel so good." It's appalling to contemplate how many young girls will accept this treatment when a new boyfriend suggests it thinking they'll eventually like it because Ana did and that the guy is just "misunderstood", and then wind up brutally victimized by a sicko.

I'm sorry. I know many of you guys like it. It's just... not my thing.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-25-2012, 07:45 PM
oK,

Did you finish the book?
Thats not what happens and I gotta tell you that so far I liked the second book much better. I will start the thrid one as soon as I finish reading To the limit for the second time.

I think It is what is called "a beach read"
If I wanted to read somehting tht was correct or good literature, I would have c hosen a classic .
My main reason for reading it was that it was a banned book and I have a problem with that concept. I like to make my own choices and If bought it to read it (which I did) and I didnt like itI didnt have to finish it and trust me I have wasted money on much more than a book.LOL

That was my reason for reading it.
I found when I got to the end of the first book I needed to start the second one right away cause it took off where the first left off with their relationship...not months later or years.
I really liked the second one better and enjoyed the story of them and finding out what made him the way he was, which is what ANa did...she dug deeper to the true person the Chrisitin is.
'Again...for me it goes to the banned book thing. I never forgot being told when I went to the library to borrow a book and I was told it was banned ..well that really bothered me. I dont need someone else telling me what I can and cant read (the libriarian)

try the second book Soda....might answer some of those questions you posted.

tt

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
No, I haven't finished it. I find it offensive as a woman.

That's not what happens? All I had to do was thumb a few pages later to read this:

"No," I protest, trying to kick him off.

He stops.

"If you struggle, I'll tie your feet, too. If you make a noise, Anastasia, I will gag you. Keep quiet."

But, of course, after he has had his way with her.... which includes "punishing" her for disobeying him (she moved during sex after he ordered her to keep still) by refusing to "allow" her to orgasm until she begs for it... which, of course, she does...

"That was really nice," I whisper, smiling coyly.

And I don't care why Christian Grey gets off on hurting women. It's not cool for men to derive sexual pleasure from abusing women, no matter what they've been through. JMHO.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
No I agree with your opinion but I did finish hte book cause she turned out to be a strong woman who put him in his place.

JMO I think it is cool when a book...any book gets people talking cause that means they are reading which is something that too few people do today since we all spend so much time on a computer.

I never go anywhere without my book or nook .

zeldabjr
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it is hard to take little snippets from this book and judge...after reading all three...I liked that this broken man (obviously)...was made whole again by the love and strength of this woman...she redeemed him from what was a sick life...that part was beautiful and I think you have to look at all the books as a whole to see the message...JMHO...but everyone sees things differently I guess

Tiffanny Twisted
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I think it is hard to take little snippets from this book and judge...after reading all three...I liked that this broken man (obviously)...was made whole again by the love and strength of this woman...she redeemed him from what was a sick life...that part was beautiful and I think you have to look at all the books as a whole to see the message...JMHO...but everyone sees things differently I guess

zelda..i agree.....snippets of anything isnt a great idea. HAVING NOT READ NUMBER THREE YET (SOON) i AGREE CAUSE i THINK ITS WHERE IT IS GOING.
JMHO

zeldabjr
09-25-2012, 10:39 PM
zelda..i agree.....snippets of anything isnt a great idea. HAVING NOT READ NUMBER THREE YET (SOON) i AGREE CAUSE i THINK ITS WHERE IT IS GOING.
JMHO

oops...me and my big mouth...hope I didn't ruin anything for you!

TimothyBFan
09-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Have to put my 2 cents in on this one!!! First, I think I should say, I understand why this series might not be for everyone. If you're squeamish about kinky sex then you will want to step away from it. But the story is so much more than that. And like Zelda & TT say, the 2nd and 3rd books go much more into the whys and has a lot of twist and turns that you really cannot see coming at all just by thumbing through the books. Their relationship is based on love and learning to trust and is a very healthy relationship, in my opinion. And I loved the ending but wished it had gone on and on.

I absolutely love EVERYTHING about this book, including the kinky sex. :hilarious: Nothing the matter with that! Even learned a few things I didn't know before. As they say, Love Hurts sometimes. :hilarious: ;-)

Tiffanny Twisted
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Zelda...
No worries you didnt ruin anything for me. I should have started number three right away but after having seen the boys in Ac I really wanted to reread "to the Limit"

JAhh read the first one after some hot babe at the shore saw the book on the chair at the pool and told him to read it for "all the woman in his life"
So...he read number one and then he wanted to read number two and I was in the middle of it and he was driving me nuts with "are you done yet".lol

TBF--thanks for your two cense. I too have been enjoying Ana and Christian.
Everytime he talks I hear the voice of a certain actor and I cnat get it out of my head.LOL
The sex doenst bother me...somethings arent always for everyone...I go deeper and see the story of a broken man who doesnt think he has worth till he mets ANa. With everybook you read you have to take what you want from it and if something bother s you leave the rest.

I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and have all different shades of every color of the rainbow...so we have choice.

I do hate when people take things out of context not just in books..even speaches by politicians...but dotn get me started there...

tt

Topkat
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Well, I borrowed 50 Shades of Grey from a friend to see what all the fuss was about.

At first, I thought it was OK. I could kind of relate to Anastasia. I didn't like all the needless vulgarity, but I had been warned about that and tried not to let it distract me.

Then, I got to the part where he sends her the contract. Genital clamps?? Nipple clamps?? What could possibly be "hot" about hurting someone like that? I can kind of see how bondage could be hot if it was done so that it didn't hurt and both people were into it, but actual pain... that's another matter. In fact, it seems like a man who gets off on abusing the most sensitive parts of women during sex is pretty sick, as is a woman who gets off on being physically tortured by a man (sorry to all any "dom" or "sub" I'm offending). I got repulsed and had to put the book down.

Besides, I don't need to read it to know what's coming up. Let me guess. Initially resistant, Ana gives in because she loves him and of course he would never TRULY hurt her! Then she discovers she LIKES being "punished" and begs him for more, so it's all good! It will be "sweet torture" right?

I just can't stand to read a woman telling a man how much she loves it when he hurts her. "Please, Master! Torture me some more! It feels so good! And even if I tell you to stop, just keep going anyway, 'cause I'm sure eventually I'll be loving it!"

And what kind of example does this set for young girls who are reading it and thinking how hot it would be to let a man hurt them? Guess what girls, the men who are into those kind of things are NOT romantic heroes and when they beat you, it doesn't "feel so good." It's appalling to contemplate how many young girls will accept this treatment when a new boyfriend suggests it thinking they'll eventually like it because Ana did and that the guy is just "misunderstood", and then wind up brutally victimized by a sicko.

I'm sorry. I know many of you guys like it. It's just... not my thing.

Soda, I am totally with you on this one. I read Book1, but I won't be reading the rest of the series. I don't give a crap that Christian has "Issues" & gets off on hurting women during sex....I was turned off by the whole concept.

And YES, this is a really poor example to set for young woman, who may think it's OK for a guy to smack you around & hurt you....Real life is NOT gonna end like this story does....Woman are abused every single day, & that is NOT OK...

Most women won't end up like Ana; they will end up black & blue, in the hospital or DEAD.....Sorry. Abuse is just wrong. I'm sure that EVERY ABUSER has "ISSUES" that come from childhood trauma or "Whatever excuse they have?" They all have some excuse... They need therapy & or jail time. Just because Christian is young, rich & handsome....he get's away with it...Would Ana be lovin' this so much if he was a poor, dirtbag? I think not.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Most women won't end up like Ana; they will end up black & blue, in the hospital or DEAD.....Sorry. Abuse is just wrong. I'm sure that EVERY ABUSER has "ISSUES" that come from childhood trauma or "Whatever excuse they have?" They all have some excuse... They need therapy & or jail time. Just because Christian is young, rich & handsome....he get's away with it...Would Ana be lovin' this so much if he was a poor, dirtbag? I think not.

Exactly. It appears from what others here have said that Grey makes sure not to hit hard enough to leave permanent marks and the friend who lent it to me tells me that he's willing to change for Ana, but most of the men who get off on this kind of thing won't ease up... and the women who stay with them, convinced they'll "change" like Grey did, will pay the price.

In fact, one of my friends who has read the whole series and was really disappointed with the way it ended said "If that guy weren't a billionaire, Ana wouldn't be so willing to go along with his 'red room of pain.'" To be fair, though, he's also supposed to be really hot, and in the beginning Ana keeps harping on how good looking he is constantly. For some women, that's all it takes.

Another thing that annoyed me was the poor writing style. Ana's inner dialogue is maddeningly rambling and repetitive. I feel like the author just wrote this off-the-cuff - there's actually grammar errors in there! Did the author even have an editor? But since it originated as Twilight fanfic and was a spawn of the author's fantasies about Edward as "dom" and Bella as "sub", I guess we shouldn't expect Shakespeare.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-26-2012, 06:34 PM
well when I bought the series....I wasnt expecting Shakespeare.

I was just expecting a beach read>

tt

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Exactly. It appears from what others here have said that Grey makes sure not to hit hard enough to leave permanent marks and the friend who lent it to me tells me that he's willing to change for Ana, but most of the men who get off on this kind of thing won't ease up... and the women who stay with them, convinced they'll "change" like Grey did, will pay the price.

Is this something you've read somewhere? I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. I'm no expert but just because a person gets off on S & M, bondage, etc... does not mean that they are abusers, men or women, and a lot of the people who stay with them are also into that or they wouldn't be with them in the first place. I'm not saying that they are all "normal" but it's not as abnormal as some might think and there's nothing wrong with it.

That being said-if you're not into the book, I get that and it was best you stepped away from it. It sure has taken the literary world by storm so I'm thinking there's a lot of people that found it a very good read. I cannot wait to see if they do a movie off of it.

well when I bought the series....I wasnt expecting Shakespeare.

:hilarious: Yeah I'm thinking if you picked up a book that has had the publicity of Fifty Shades of Grey you shouldn't be expecting a classic novel.

Topkat
09-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I certainly wasn't expecting Shakespeare, but the writing style of this author was maddening. The "inner goddess", the "biting my lower lip" among other phrases repeated hundreds of times, was getting nauseating.

I was expecting a story, not a porno book, because to me this is what it is. The sex acts described in detail were just boring.

And, yes, it is said in the book that Grey agreed in his little formal " Dominant/ Submissive agreement" not to leave permanent marks on Ana.

That this book has taken the literary world by a storm is almost a tragedy in itself. How are they going to make this into a movie, without it being XXX rated? I think it's a sad state of our society that this book has sold millions of copies. I hate to think young women think this is an acceptable way for a man to treat a woman. That thought really scares me.

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 09:52 AM
And I'd like to think that young women this day in age are not so naive as to think that they have to live in a situation that they feel uncomfortable with. (I don't deny there are those that will live with it, just as many woman live with spouses/boyfriends that hit and beat them.) But I also hope that they can realize that their sexuality is what they want it to be and if they chose this, it's up to them. It's not necessarily unhealthy or taboo. It's the year 2012 and if this stuff turns them on, then that's ok!!!!

Here's some stuff that was linked on a 50 Shades fan page on FB that I found interesting.

Literary demerits aside, experts contend that the novel and its two equally racy sequels, authored by a British woman, are having a positive impact on women’s sexual health and wellness.

Here's that link
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/fifty-shades-of-grey-is-seen-as-improving-womens-sexual-health-and-wellness/2012/05/21/gIQAGx4zfU_story.html

A lot of things on the internet that are speaking out against it also. But as I said above---it's flying off the bookshelves and people are reading it---- apparently people are interested.

And I'd have to say because it's been flying off bookshelves for months now, I must not be alone in thinking it's not naughty/taboo/unhealthy/disgusting/etc..... Women and men are reading it and LOVING it--must be something to it. Again, not for everyone but I hate to think that anyone should be made to feel that they were wrong for reading and enjoying it and it's not a tragedy that they are.

Topkat
09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
TimothyBFan

And I'd like to think that young women this day in age are not so naive as to think that they have to live in a situation that they feel uncomfortable with. (I don't deny there are those that will live with it, just as many woman live with spouses/boyfriends that hit and beat them.) But I also hope that they can realize that their sexuality is what they want it to be and if they chose this, it's up to them. It's not necessarily unhealthy or taboo. It's the year 2012 and if this stuff turns them on, then that's ok!!!!

Oh really?? There are high school girls that have abusive boyfriends that they cannot get rid of, that STALK them, that threaten them, that have to call the police, because they are being harassed.......I know of one such young girl who went through this & it was a living HELL... It all starts with CONTROL, that is the key word here. They try to take CONTROL of the woman, & that is exactly what Christian was doing here....Did Ana want this? In book 1 , NO she didn't...My point is that it is not so easy to get out of these relationships once they start... To say that young women are not so naive to think they have to live with a situation they are uncomfortable with, is not realistic.Once you are in it, it's not so easy to just say NO & get out!!!

This is a novel,..... most real life stories don't end this way! Yes, it's ok to have S&M sex play if it is done without harm or abuse or in a playful manner, but most are not. It's all about control & power in the relationship. Ana had to be convinced to play along with these games in the Red Room of Pain, but it is not what she wanted, She was afraid that if she didn't go along with it, she would lose her beloved Christian Gray. In my opinion, no great loss, but once you are involved in it, sometimes there is NO WAY OUT. Meet someone who's lived through it & you will see how this is no party!

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 03:24 PM
TimothyBFan

Meet someone who's lived through it & you will see how this is no party!

I've met dozens of them----I volunteered in a women's shelter for 12 years and these happen to be the young ladies I worked with often. I said there are those that find themselves in these situations and many who don't feel there's a way out- I get that. But I'm here to tell you, that many of them get out and feel even more empowered when they do get control of their lives. One thing does not necessarily lead to the other and I'm willing to wager a bet that every young lady that has read this book does not feel that if in a relationship like Ana it will lead to them being enslaved, etc....

It's a flipping book that millions have read and not taken it as fact and are just fine with it, which is what this discussion is suppose to be about. Sorry I went there but it p*sses me off when I see people acting as if any one who might have read it must be a sexual deviant or something. If you don't like it don't read it, it's not like there hasn't been millions of things written all over the place about what kind of book it was, so if you don't like reading those kind of books, why pick it up?

I'm not going to argue it any longer because we've gotten completely off topic. I'm seeing more often anymore that there's really no way to state your opinion on here without picking a fight. Sorry if I came across that way. I call Uncle.

WalshFan88
09-27-2012, 04:35 PM
TBF - not to change the subject but have you started reading/read the Heart book yet? I haven't got it yet but I need to. Was curious what you thought.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 07:04 PM
TBF--

I have noticed that your last paragraph rings really true onthis web site.

I thought it was susposta be an enjoyable place with other people who love the eagles??

It goes back to if you dont wanna read it DON"T.

FOr me I have said it before.....I wanted to see why everyone was reading it.
DO I take it as gospel or the bible.
NO...

If its not for you...just say its not your taste but dont put others down(not you TBF) who chose to read it .

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
TBF--

I have noticed that your last paragraph rings really true onthis web site.

I thought it was susposta be an enjoyable place with other people who love the eagles??

It goes back to if you dont wanna read it DON"T.

FOr me I have said it before.....I wanted to see why everyone was reading it.
DO I take it as gospel or the bible.
NO...

If its not for you...just say its not your taste but dont put others down(not you TBF) who chose to read it .

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: