PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne, Australia 2010

Koala
12-17-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/a-rare-species-is-alive-and-well/story-fn6bfm6w-1225972970010

The Eagles have their fans soaring
FANS of the Eagles got an early Christmas present at their Rod Laver Arena show last night.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/wall_e_2009/eagles%20live/melbourneeagles.jpg?t=1292606353

Koala
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Another review

The Eagles
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/the-eagles-20101217-190zh.html

Prettymaid
12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
What a great photo of Glenn! I'm going to go see if it's been put in his thread yet...

Freypower
12-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Second Sydney show 1st half shirt again.... nice.

Finally some decent & properly written reviews.

Koala
12-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Another review

REVIEW: Eagles, Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena, December 17, 2010

http://www.undercover.fm/news/13115-review-eagles-melbourne-rod-laver-arena-december-17-2010

Set List

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
I Don’t Want To Hear Anymore
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can’t Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin’ Eyes
The Boys Of Summer
In The City
The Long Run

No More Walks In The Wood
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Best Of My Love
Take It To The Limit
Long Road Out Of Eden
Walk Away
One Of These Nights
Life’s Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

Take It Easy
Rocky Mountain Way
Desperado

Ive always been a dreamer
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks again for all posting the links to all of these reviews, Koala. The Melbourne reviews are more positive than in some of the other Australian cities. Looks like they may be dropping Guilty of the Crime, too.

GlennLover
12-18-2010, 01:11 PM
These critics "get it"! So glad they are finally getting the credit that they deserve.

sodascouts
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
No more GOTC? That surprises me.

Thanks for the link, Koala!

Freypower
12-19-2010, 05:30 PM
They did BBF & GOTC at precisely one show on November 30 & then both songs were unceremoniously dropped. They did Somebody at all Sydney shows (I assume they did it on the last Ent Cent show because they did it at Acer the first night) until the last night at Acer.

I honestly believe that if they had toured closer to the album's release those songs would have been received more positively; I also think the band didn't give them a chance. A blogger pointed out that the 30/11 show was in fact the last to go on sale & therefore the audience was not the hardcore, most enthusiastic fans but the ones who decided to go eventually when the show was announced.

Paul Cashmere is always positive & while I am grateful for his praise of Glenn, it would be nice if that extended to his singing & not just his Master of Ceremonies role.

sodascouts
12-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks FP, I had forgotten it was dropped so soon. At least "Somebody" hung around for a little longer.

Freypower
12-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I should have said that I completely agree with Paul's assessment of the title track from LROOE. There WAS another photo of the whole band next to the review briefly (in the 'reviews' section) - here's hoping for a gallery in the next day or two (the photographer took the photos in the 2004 gallery as well).

MikeA
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Another review

The Eagles
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/the-eagles-20101217-190zh.html

We sure get a mixture of "takes" on an Eagles concert don't We? There were negative comments (I don't put a lot of tonnage on the professional reviewers but do get a charge out of reading the comments about the review by the subscribers). I'm really not sure where the "negatives" were coming from. I got the feeling that some of the downers went there without knowing what they were going for and came away disappointed. One was talking about how lackluster the show was in the first set and that with ears hammering from all the screaming volume from the band, they left during the second set! Make up your mind <LOL>

Seriously, I got the impression that most of the negative comments were coming from people who attended the show expecting some Punk or Metal extravaganza.

Most of the comments were good though.

TimothyBFan
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/wall_e_2009/eagles%20live/melbourneeagles.jpg?t=1292606353

Had to bring this forward. This is an awesome picture!

Freypower
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
We sure get a mixture of "takes" on an Eagles concert don't We? There were negative comments (I don't put a lot of tonnage on the professional reviewers but do get a charge out of reading the comments about the review by the subscribers). I'm really not sure where the "negatives" were coming from. I got the feeling that some of the downers went there without knowing what they were going for and came away disappointed. One was talking about how lackluster the show was in the first set and that with ears hammering from all the screaming volume from the band, they left during the second set! Make up your mind <LOL>

Seriously, I got the impression that most of the negative comments were coming from people who attended the show expecting some Punk or Metal extravaganza.

Most of the comments were good though.

The comments relate to the Sydney shows as you can see by the dates. The SMH & Age sites are linked. You can see my 'review' at the end (by 'Julie'). I was also baffled by the 'screaming volume' comment. Didn't they hear the acoustic songs?

Where is the full version of this thumbnail of Glenn? (Next to 'the Eagles live in Melbourne')?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/review/gig/the-eagles/20101202-18hbf.html?comments=11#comments

Freypower
12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Here is undercover.fm's photo gallery at last, but the photos aren't very big:

http://www.undercover.fm/albums/2755

I am so grateful that I took my photos, even though not all of them were high standard.

Glennhoney
12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
...aahh but they're lovely just the same..............

Koala
12-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks FP!
I found this:

http://www.undercover.fm/news/13147-eagles-add-christmas-song-to-setlist

The setlist from 12-21-2011

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
I Don’t Want To Hear Anymore
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can’t Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin’ Eyes
The Boys Of Summer
In The City
The Long Run
No More Walks In The Wood
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Best Of My Love
Take It To The Limit
Long Road Out Of Eden
Walk Away
One Of These Nights
Life’s Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

Take It Easy
Rocky Mountain Way
Please Come Home for Christmas
Desperado

Freypower
12-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Well, well, what a surprise. More because of them just adding a song out of nowhere than that particular song, of which I am afraid I am not a big fan. I hope the audience enjoyed it. I don't know why Melbourne had to be last. I thought Sydney should have been.

In that set the ratio of Don to Glenn leads is 12 - 7. I make no further comment except at the Sydney shows it somehow escaped me how few leads Glenn had in the first half.

Koala
12-22-2010, 02:25 AM
Take it to the Limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0w_Weziy0

Please Come Home for Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlUzHq2pT6k

Freypower
12-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Well, OK, despite my above comment he did a good job. Merry Christmas to them all & a safe flight home.

Glennsallnighter
12-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Fantastic picture of Glenn :heart: Looks like my Christmas has come early :inlove:

tequila girl
12-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks for finding those Koala!:thumbsup:

I LOVE Don singing 'Please Come Home For Christmas' and i've never seen it on a vid before.....You just made my day!!! :smitten: :inlove::heart:

Prettymaid
12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, thanks so much for the video of PCHFC! I would love to be able to hear that live at a 'Christmas show'!

TimothyBFan
12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey-they sang my Christmas ringtone! :hilarious: Geesh--now I'm flippin' blubbering like a baby (warning-I'm on an emotional rollercoaster right now with all the crap going on in my life, so it doesn't take much)!! That was beautiful to hear. I love that song anyways and can't imagine how special that would be to see it unexpectantly like that. They should of followed it up with Funky New Year! :hilarious:

Brooke
12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Wow, they got PCHFC?! Incredible! That would be so cool to hear this time of year!

sodascouts
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Freaking awesome!!!

GlennLover
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
I was wondering if they might sneak that in for one or more of the last shows! YAY!

EaglesKiwi
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I was there on Tuesday night, and yep, hearing "Please Come Home for Christmas" was incredibly poignant. A fantastic concert (at a great venue - well done Melbourne) with so many high points.:partytime:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Well welcome to The Border, EaglesKiwi. Glad you found us and you are soooo lucky to have been at that Melbourne show. That must have been such a treat to hear them perform PCHFC live. Feel free to share as much as you can remember about the show - we love to hear these things. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Welcome, Kiwi! How exciting that you got to be there to hear such a rarity! I'm glad you enjoyed the show. As Dreamer said, feel free to add any other details from the show that may occur to you!

Prettymaid
12-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I want to welcome you too Kiwi. Glad you found your way to The Border!

Koala
12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Kiwi, Welcome from me as well!

Troubadour
12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Welcome, Kiwi!

As for Please Come Home For Christmas, there's only one thing to say... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!

cheryl
12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Koala - Thanks for finding and sharing the video of "Please Come Home for Christmas". Awesome! I was thrilled to see Don sing it live at his solo show in Chicago in 2009.

Stars
12-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the Border, Kiwi! So glad you got to hear "Please Come Home For Christmas"-perfect for the holiday season!:thumbsup:

GlennLover
12-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Welcome, Kiwi!

Brooke
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Welcome from me, too, Kiwi! We'd love to hear more about the concert you went to! Glad you found us! :thumbsup:

EaglesKiwi
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes! :) And I'd LOVE to talk more about the concert!! Maybe in two parts if you all don't mind (or I'll be here all day).

The stage is set up with a big screen in the middle, and two screens either side, throughout the concert the 2 side screens are used for close ups of the band members which is great. The centre screen is used for video clips at various points.

The lights went down, the musicians came on stage (lots of applause) then the Eagles came out (more applause & cheering etc). The lights came up to them singing "There are stars in the Southern sky..." (Seven Bridges Road) - perfect for a downunder concert - and really emphasising that an Eagles concert is about the music. The audience loved it.

The next couple of songs (How Long and I Don't Want To Hear) continue to warm up both their voices and the audience.

The next highlight began with a trumpet solo (& at least half the audience knows what's coming), then the album cover came up on screen to the guitar intro of Hotel California. It's quite something to see Don perform this - it's really full on both with the drums and the vocals - and of course Joe and Steuart Smith on the guitars are wonderful.

Peaceful Easy Feeling showcases Glenn's singing and I Can't Tell You Why is beautifully done by Timothy - with the audience joining in on both of those.

Witchy Woman was AMAZING. It had so much energy to it and really highlighted the difference between listening to a CD and attending a live performance. WOW.

Lyin' Eyes and The Boys of Summer are both well received, and finally Joe gets to play with In The City, and the first half concludes with In The Long Run. Oh - and I think Joe looks better & healthier than ever before.

Prettymaid
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Witchy Woman was AMAZING. It had so much energy to it and really highlighted the difference between listening to a CD and attending a live performance. WOW.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. WW rocks live!

And yes, Joe looks the best he's ever looked.

Looking forward to part two Kiwi!

EaglesKiwi
12-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Okay, I've just read back over my "part one" comments and realised they sounded a little flat, and that's REALLY not the impression I wanted to leave. The first half of the concert was very, very good.

But the second part really blew us away. I hadn't heard the LROOE cd before (apart from the singles played on radio) and so this was the first time I'd heard "No More Walks In The Wood" which was STUNNING as well as Waiting In The Weeds.

More familiar songs followed, and then they played LROOE itself which was amazing. I can't wait to get the album. Something the Eagles have always done very well is write to their current strengths (voice ranges, harmonies and instrumental), and the LROOE tracks were superb.

The band introductions were nice, as was the interaction with the audience through the concert. Joe was the last to be introduced (& I think got even bigger cheers than Don) and took us into a really upbeat section starting with Walk Away, then One of These Nights, Life's Been Good (with a great video clip sequence) and then Dirty Laundry which was another standout (and was also enhanced with video clips - various front pages of the tabloids).:grooving:

Funk #49, Heatache Tonight & Life in the Fast Lane ended the second half, then the band took a brief break and came back out for the encore (by the way that's a good time for a bathroom break!).

We were lucky to get 4 songs in the encore - Take It Easy, Rocky Mountain Way (which the audience had been yelling for all night), then Don said that it was getting to the end of the tour, they were all missing their families and wanted to sing something special showing how they felt at this time of year (PCHFC). It was really beautiful, and Desperado was a lovely finishing note.

So overall a fantastic evening - 3 hours of performing which I thought was great value and a meticulously crafted show. To anybody going to an upcoming concert - you're going to love it! :inlove:

PS if they end up doing another DVD from this tour I'd love to see something about how they create the show in the "Extras" section.

sodascouts
12-31-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the further info, Kiwi! I love the way you describe how perfect "There are stars in the Southern sky" is for Australia - I hadn't thought about that before. If they do a DVD and include extras, wouldn't it be great if "Please Come Home for Christmas" from your show was amongst them? You know they haven't done that song for ten years!

Koala
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks for telling us your impressions!

Stars
01-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I am hoping and praying they do decide to do a DVD from the current tour-that would be a dream come true!:nod:

Annabel
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I'd love another DVD for my collection. :D Oh and if possible a new live CD would be great :hilarious:

StephUK
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm still looking for more photos!
Found these; don't think they've been posted before - apologise if they have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeaneeem/sets/72157625625504308/with/5272123304/

TimothyBFan
03-16-2011, 08:25 AM
LOVE this one.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/5272120490_82bdfbcc6e_b.jpg