PDA

View Full Version : WikiLeaks.org

MikeA
12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I have nothing to really rant about here, but wondered if anyone here is a "regular" on that site? It is absolutely LOADED with information that is supposedly accurate and much of it was/is "secret" communications between Government personnel.

I've been hearing it talked about and thought I'd check it out. That's sort of like saying "I'm going to read Wikipedia!"

Freypower
12-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Julian Assange is Australian, not that that is important. Anyone who believes in freedom of speech must disagree with some in the United States who are referring to him as a 'terrorist' who needs to be 'punished' when all he seems to have done is release information that was already well known. I don't think he's as squeaky clean as he would like people to think but on the whole I think the purpose of Wikileaks should be applauded.

ETA: I can very easily see both sides of this argument but I lean towards 'freedom of speech' rather than 'national security' because I honestly can't see what harm has been done; but I do understand that some inportant diplomatic dealings should be kept confidential when required.

MikeA
12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh, I'm all for it Julie. Well, mostly "all for it." You KNOW there were a lot of coverups connected with the 9/11 incidents. And you have to believe there was a lot covered up with the Guantanamo interrogations as well as some of the actions taken in the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But there are a lot more topics with documents being disclosed too that have a direct impact on almost everyone any more.

Stuff like "warrants" (probably not the correct legal term) allowing wire taps on phones and access to GPS locations people have been. I can see where those tools would be priceless to law enforcement in "hot pursuit". But the statistics on the number of these warrants granted to Law Enforcement is staggering to say the least!

Ironically, reports are VERY low on similar grants to monitor individual's Internet Activity...whether it be eMail, Web Browsing or Instant Messaging. All of those pieces of information are readily available from the records of such corporate entities as AT&T, Yahoo, Google and Microsoft. Each of those corporations has handbooks detailing what all is available and that can be legally obtained by Law Enforcement.

I haven't had time to really browse through a lot of that stuff. I know there are archives of files connected with War Acts.