PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: On The Border

sodascouts
02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Time for our next Song Survivor! Our album this time will be On The Border. If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs of On The Border here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 7:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 7:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

Thanks for playing!

And the winner of On The Border Survivor is:
ALREADY GONE!

Songs eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 2/19
Is It True 2/21
Midnight Flyer 2/23
My Man 2/25
On the Border 2/27
Good Day in Hell 3/01
Ol' 55 3/03
James Dean 3/05
The Best of My Love 3/07

Game over!

sodascouts
02-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Like last time, the first one to go is an easy choice for me. I really dislike You Never Cry Like a Lover. It's SOOO sexist it's not even funny. I am of the mind that it's the man who should "try a litle harder" if he can't make his woman cry like a lover.

I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like a Lover!

freyfanatic
02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I cast my vote for Good Day In Hell...

Maleah
02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover because I agree Soda :D

Freypower
02-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I agree with the sentiments expressed about You Never Cry Like A Lover. I have always had problems with songs that Don has written along these lines. I think that in this situation the man should accept that he may possibly also be at fault.

I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover.

timfan
02-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I also agree with what has been said about You Never Cry Like a Lover. To me, as a women I cannot stand any song which demeans women whether it is a Eagles song or not.

So I cast my Vote for You Never Cry Like a Lover.

Perfect Little Sister
02-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Well I put OTB on to refresh my memory with the little details of the song so I could participate in this. Then I went back and read(relived) the PB thread and somehow the music didn't make it thru what I was reading. lol I'll have to try again.

Karen Carpenter
02-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Since everyone said "You Never Cry Like a Lover", then I'll go with that. I don't know the song, so it doesn't matter!

I cast my vote for "You Never Cry Like a Lover".

DonFan
02-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Freyfanatic, how can you vote to cast off Good Day in Hell??? :shock: That is one of my all-time favorite Eagles songs.

As you all probably expected, I can't vote against You Never Cry Like a Lover, either (although it doesn't look like my vote matters at this point).

I vote for Is It True.

Randy's Girl
02-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Aww, how can you all hate You Never Cry Like A Lover? I love that song.

Anyway, this is the song I do not like and hardly ever listen to

I vote for On The Border

Brooke
02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I had to take a listen to this one again before voting like you PLS!

Yeah, it's true. You Never Cry Like A Lover is my least liked song even though Don's voice is gorgeous on it. How could he do it?!

So there ya go. I vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover as the worst song on the album. [/b]

Freypower
02-19-2007, 06:04 PM
To clarify, I don't 'hate' YNCLAL but there are many better songs in the band's canon. Apart from the lyrics, it's overproduced. This is why they dumped Glyn Johns & hired Szymczyk.

tbs fanatic
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
My vote goes to You Never Cry Like a Lover.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh - this is going to be hard. Just to clarify, I don't hate any Eagles song. As a matter of fact, I love most of them, including all of the songs on this album. I have said before, I think On the Border is probably the bands most underrated album. It is difficult to vote any of the songs off, but if it has to be done ...

I cast my vote for Is It True.

sodascouts
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
OK! The first song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is You Never Cry Like a Lover, with 7 votes. “You Never Cry Like a Lover,” please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
You Never Cry Like a Lover – 7
Is It True – 2
Good Day in Hell – 1
On the Border – 1

Vote Breakdown
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Brooke
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Freypower
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Karen Carpenter
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Maleah
You Never Cry Like a Lover – soda
You Never Cry Like a Lover – tbs fanatic
You Never Cry Like a Lover – timfan
Is It True – DonFan
Is It True – ive always been a dreamer
Good Day in Hell – freyfanatic
On the Border – Randy’s Girl

Songs eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 02/19

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Is It True
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 2 begins now. Let's go!

freyfanatic
02-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok my last decision on the voting was not a wise one, I even took time to listen to the album again and found that I made a critical mistake, sorry, this is what song really should be kicked off next:

I cast my vote for Is It True

Freypower
02-19-2007, 09:04 PM
You can vote for whicever song you like. If you don't like Good Day In Hell you can vote for it - it's your choice.

Next for me was either Midnight Flyer or Is It True. Is It True has a nice tune and a nice vocal by Randy. Midnight Flyer is the cliched country rock sound the band was about to ditch - superbly played though it is. Plus it's a cover.

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

sodascouts
02-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Aw, I wouldn't call it a critical mistake FF! GDIH is still around - for now!

This is a tough, but strategic move:

I cast my vote for On the Border.

timfan
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
after listening to the songs again.. my next choice would either be My Man or Is it True. they are both great country sounding songs however I like the sound and feelings in My Man soo...

I cast my vote for Is it True

Maleah
02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Hmmm this was a tough one for me between Midnight Flyer, Is It True, and My Man

I can't believe you voted for On The Border Soda! :shock: :laugh:

I cast my vote for Is It True

Randy's Girl
02-20-2007, 05:55 AM
I cast my vote for On The Border

I think it is the worst song on the album, seems very bitty, and doesn't blend with the other songs.

Perfect Little Sister
02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
As usual, I'm a bit slow....I have a different take on YNCLAL, but it's too late for that. lol So, the song I would have voted off first now gets my vote as the second song that should leave.

I don't have a strong feeling against this song (or any Eagles song for that matter) but it is the one that does the least for me.

sodascouts
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
As usual, I'm a bit slow....I have a different take on YNCLAL, but it's too late for that. lol

Well dang, you get two days to vote, PLS! Get a move on! ;)

I'm curious - what's your take on YNCLAL?

Perfect Little Sister
02-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I see it more as him lamenting the relationship gone wrong than blaming her for it not working out. Two people once in love and somewhere along the lines it went wrong. They both stopped trying. He knows it's over but he doesn't want it to be. He's torn by needing to move on and wanting to hold on to what once was. The "try a little harder" is not necessarily an admonition to her, but perhaps talking to himself..."if I try a little harder maybe we can save this". "I thought I saw somebody I loved sleeping deep inside you"...the woman he fell in love with..."if I could catch you in an unguarded moment, I'd stay right there beside you"...if only we could go back to how it was when we first got together I'd never let you go. "Sometimes I believe in love, sometimes I doubt it" illustrates his torn feelings. "I was hoping you were the one"...again he doesn't want to let go. "Somebody must have put some pain on you" is he expressing some guilt here? Following with the title line lamenting over and over, he recognizes that this pain has made her withdraw from the relationship. It seems to me more a tale of sorrow than a chauvinistic rant of if you put out more I wouldn't toss you over for the next young thing. But that's just my take on it. :wink: Sorry my answer got so long and involved.lol

sodascouts
02-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I see what you mean, PLS, and those are good points. I just can't get over what I see as a slew of directly accusatory statements:

You never cry like a lover should
Sigh when it feels real good
Or see the sky through the stone and wood
You never cry like a lover

[...]

You never smile at me late at night
Laugh out loud when we get it right
You can't get loose if there's too much light
You never smile like a lover

[...]

You never move like you used to do
Pour it out when you're feelin' blue...

[...]

You never Cry Like a Lover [repeat, repeat, repeat]

(If you want context, the full lyrics are here: http://www.purelyrics.com/index.php?lyrics=indwyprn )

----

Also notice how almost all of these recriminations have to do with her being sexually non-responsive. It's telling that it's her lack of "vocal" appreciation in bed that is most disturbing to him and what he focuses on, although other issues are briefly mentioned. Even the quasi-sympathetic "Somebody must have put some pain on you" sounds like more of a "you're damaged goods" comment than personal guilt - "You were messed up before you got to me, so it's not my fault that..." [and the next line is]... "You never cry like a lover."

And nowhere do I see him taking any responsbility elsewhere, so it's hard for me to believe he's suddenly talking to himself with "Try a little harder" - although it's certainly possible, and who knows, maybe you're right!

Perfect Little Sister
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
It's the "like you used to do" that makes me see the love lost aspect of it. And the "try a little harder" doesn't specify 'you need to'. But hey, given how...um..."free" the guys were back then my interp may be waaaaaayyy out of left field. I just like to play the devil's advocate.lol

sodascouts
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, I like a good debate, too. And your interp is just as valid a mine. :)

Perfect Little Sister
02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Sorry I derailed this thread. Now...back to the game.

Who will be the next to be voted off? [cue dramatic music]

Brooke
02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Just had to take another listen to the remaining 3 songs on this album that I don't care much for.

Yep. No doubt about it.

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer as the next song to leave. It annoys me. Of course they sing it beautifully as only the Eagles could, but....

And for some reason I can't get the bold, italic, or u buttons to work in my posts anymore. :? Strange.

sodascouts
02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
That's weird, Brooke. Are you trying to highlight or do it manually (by typing the brackets and "b" or "i"?)

DonFan
02-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Loved your interpretation of YNCLAL, PLS! My feelings exactly. SO many great lines in that song, especially....
"Sometimes I believe in love, sometimes I doubt it..."
Anyway, your post was well put.

Now.....second verse, same as the first:

Brooke
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I was trying to highlight and click the button (which is the way I've always done it).

:? Ok, I give up! :roll: :?

02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Okay - I was going to vote for Is It True again. However, I'm going to take a chance that it is going to be cast off this round. I'm going back to a strategic move ....

I cast my vote for Ole '55.

Brooke, I usually just highlight the text I want to bold, and click the 'B' icon when I'm typing a message if I want to bold the text. That automatically places the bold tags around the text for you. However, you can also manually type in the bold tags, and see if that works for you. It's hard to show you because it just bolds the text if I try to show an example.

If you want to see what it should look like, click the quote button on my post and look how the words "I cast my vote for Ole '55." have the tags before and after it. You can manually type these around your text. I hope this makes sense.

sodascouts
02-21-2007, 07:59 PM
OK! The second song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Is It True, with 5 votes. “Is It True,” please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Is It True – 5
On the Border – 2
Midnight Flyer – 2
Ol’ 55 – 1

Vote Breakdown
Is It True – FreyFanatic
Is It True – timfan
Is It True – Maleah
Is It True – Perfect Little Sister
Is It True – DonFan
On the Border – sodascouts
Midnight Flyer – Freypower
Midnight Flyer – Brooke
Ol’ 55 – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 3 begins now!

freyfanatic
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell...

Freypower
02-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I would like to know why you don't like GDIH, FF. It's a classic song of a type which the band has unfortunately never really repeated.

I'm not into 'strategic votes ' here. Much as I love these songs I don't really love any of them enough to need to 'preserve' them for later. If GDIH goes I'll accept it.

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

Maleah
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I cast my vote for "Midnight Flyer" as well

Is that a banjo I hear? :shock:

DonFan
02-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Me too--
I vote to cast off Midnight Flyer.

freyfanatic
02-22-2007, 12:37 AM
It's just one of the few songs that really doesn't catch my ear like other ones FP...

Randy's Girl
02-22-2007, 06:12 AM
I cast my vote for (surprise surprise) On The Border

sodascouts
02-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not into 'strategic votes ' here. Much as I love these songs I don't really love any of them enough to need to 'preserve' them for later. If GDIH goes I'll accept it.

That's part of the fun for me! But to each her own. :) And as fun as GDIH is, I don't think it's the best song on the album, so it's expendable to me. And no matter what, as we both said earlier, FF is free to vote for it!

I adore Midnight Flyer, although you have a good point that it's a cover and therefore more expendable than a song one of the guys wrote.

But... still....

timfan
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Midnight Flyer is just too much country for my taste so...

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer

Brooke
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm surprised about Is It True being cast off, but oh well!

I will vote once again for Midnight Flyer. Can you imagine a banjo in this band these days?! I guess anything is possible since we do have the violin and brass though!

02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm not into 'strategic votes ' here. Much as I love these songs I don't really love any of them enough to need to 'preserve' them for later.

I agree with Soda here. The strategy is part of the fun, IMO. However, everyone is voting here in their own way for their own reasons, and that's the way it should be.

It looks like Midnight Flyer is destined to fall this time. I'm sorry to see it go, but as I said earlier, I think all of the songs on this album are really good. Therefore, I will continue my strategy to preserve some songs in the event of future ties. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for Ole '55.

EasyFeeling
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm late on this. Can I still join the game? :?

Then I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer because as TF already said it's too much country IMO.

sodascouts
02-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Of course you can join now, EF! In fact I was hoping you would. :)

EasyFeeling
02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Thank you. :D I had to listen to the songs once more because I'm not so familiar with these "old" songs. :wink: Sadly I didn't find the time doing that the last days.

Molly
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm really late getting in on this, too, and I shouldn't be since I've been a fanatic of the show Survivor since the beginning.

I was going to vote for Midnight Flyer, but then today when I was working out, it came up in my IPod Shuffle, so I figured that was a sign...then I thought about joining an Alliance with dreamer, but I really like Ole 55 and I don't want to see it go too soon in a tie breaker...so...

I cast my vote for "My Man".

Perfect Little Sister
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Hmmm...I'm having a tuff time with this choice. It's a bit of a coin toss for me.

Brooke
02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok guys, I'm going to be gone for the weekend visiting the son so don't be voting off any of my favorite songs!

If anyone wants to do the honors for me, my next song to go would be My Man. Is that legal?

Hey, this is important stuff! :P :laugh:

sodascouts
02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
The third song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Midnight Flyer, with 6 votes. “Midnight Flyer,” please travel on immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Midnight Flyer – 6
On the Border – 3
Good Day in Hell – 1
Ol’ 55 – 1
My Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Midnight Flyer – Freypower
Midnight Flyer – Maleah
Midnight Flyer – DonFan
Midnight Flyer – timfan
Midnight Flyer – Brooke
Midnight Flyer – EasyFeeling
On the Border – SodaScouts
On the Border – Perfect Little Sister
Ol’ 55 – ive always been a dreamer
My Man – Molly

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 4 begins now!

sodascouts
02-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok guys, I'm going to be gone for the weekend visiting the son so don't be voting off any of my favorite songs!

If anyone wants to do the honors for me, my next song to go would be My Man. Is that legal?

I don't think we wanna open that can of worms, Brooke! lol But have fun!

Freypower
02-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Again the choice is fairly easy for me this round. On The Border, while I like it, particularly Glenn's 'and we wanna know' vocal, is a bit dated and slightly cheesy.

I cast my vote for On The Border.

freyfanatic
02-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell

Maleah
02-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I cast my vote for "My Man"

sodascouts
02-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Ack, I see My Man is getting some votes - guys - give Bernie his props - it's the best thing he ever wrote!

Save My Man! Vote On the Border!

And so, to no one's suprise...

DonFan
02-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Soda, how can we vote off On The Border? It is the name of this site! :wink:

Besides, I love to hear Don sing, "Fooling w/my baby on the telephone..." 8)

Soooo....I vote to cast off My Man.

Maleah
02-24-2007, 01:25 AM
what????? You want me to not vote for My Man just because it's the best thing he ever wrote? pardon me while I laugh :laugh: :D j/k Sorry I too would rather hear Don sing "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" ;)

Molly
02-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry, soda, we'll just have to show our love for Bernie some other way! :heart:

Besides, I can't hear "On the Border" without taking a little trip down memory lane...when Z, dreamer and I were waiting in line to cross over the border from Canada back into the U.S. -totally without any of us "fooling with the buttons on the radio" -"On the Border" started playing! Yeah!! Of course, dreamer cranked up the volume and started singing along!

I cast my vote for "My Man".

Randy's Girl
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm with you Soda, I cast my vote (again) for On The Border

EasyFeeling
02-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Seems I'm the only one who want this song to leave:

I cast my vote for James Dean

timfan
02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I cast my vote for My Man

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi I missed the start of this Survivor because I've been busy correcting and marking trial exams (pain in the neck - still I tend to wire up the ipod to shut out external noise while doing it) I've thus survived on Glenns Solo Collection and his live in Dublin album. Can I vote for MY MAN if I'm not too late? 8)

timfan
02-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Glennsallnighter, I'm glad you've joined in the Survivor song fun! :D

FYI: Any member can vote in any round. It doesn't matter if you have or have not voted in a previous round. That's part of the fun! 8)

sodascouts
02-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Well actually GA we have this tradition that if you join in late, you have to vote for the title track of the album! In this case... On the Border! Yeah, that's it! So go back and change your vote - I give you special permission! ;)

Just kidding, lol. Welcome to the game. Looks like My Man might be toast unless there's a last minute rally!

tengo ritmo
02-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I have hardly been able to even read the boards lately, but I have to support MY MAN!! It moves me to tears every single time.
SO! I vote for On the Border.

glenneaglesfan
02-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm late to the party as well! I'm going to have to save On The Border if I can, so

I cast my vote for My Man

timfan
02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
well this is turning into quite an interesting round.... :D

02-25-2007, 04:36 PM

<hehe>I know just how you feel Brooke. I wanted to wait until the last minute to vote to see how I should vote, but I'm not going to be home when the voting ends! :evil:

what????? You want me to not vote for My Man just because it's the best thing he ever wrote? pardon me while I laugh j/k Sorry I too would rather hear Don sing "foolin' with my baby on the telephone"

Maleah - this is just funny! :D :D

So anyway here goes. You are right TF - this round is interesting. However, like Molly, the memories of On the Border are too fond, and I do not want to see it voted off in spite of how much I love My Man. And another thing ladies, when you have a long distance relationship like me, hearing Don sing "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" has special meaning. :wink: :twisted:

I cast my vote for My Man.

Maleah
02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not even going to ask about this "special meaning" :D LOL

Brooke
02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok, ok, I think I've gotten back in time.

I hereby cast my vote for My Man! Please go!

Love that "foolin with my baby" bit! :wink: :lol:

Glennsallnighter
02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Glennsallnighter, I'm glad you've joined in the Survivor song fun! :D

FYI: Any member can vote in any round. It doesn't matter if you have or have not voted in a previous round. That's part of the fun! 8)

Great, I'm glad I can. And TF, I see you did really well in your exams. Many Congrats. Hope it all stays well. 8)

sodascouts
02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
It is my sad duty to report that the old hickory wind has called My Man home. It is the fourth song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor with 8 votes. “My Man,” please be gone immediately. The songs who must remain may return to camp.

Votes
My Man – 8
On the Border – 4
Good Day in Hell – 1
James Dean – 1

Vote Breakdown
My Man – Maleah
My Man – Molly
My Man – DonFan
My Man – timfan
My Man – Glennsallnighter
My Man – glenneaglesfan
My Man – ive always been a dreamer
My Man – Brooke
On the Border – Freypower
On the Border – sodascouts
On the Border – tengo ritmo
James Dean – EasyFeeling

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 5 begins now!

Freypower
02-25-2007, 09:11 PM
What a shame about My Man, one of their most moving songs.

I always seem to be first to vote. I suspect that On The Border will go now. So I am going to vote for something which I think no-one else will vote for.

I cast my vote for Best Of My Love.

There is too much of it. This is the only Eagles song where the harmonies are cloying, not moving, and it's too repetitious. It is probably one of my favourite lyrics but the music isn't good enough for a song this 'important'. As I say, I suspect I am alone here.

freyfanatic
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell, once again

02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
What a shame about My Man, one of their most moving songs.

I always seem to be first to vote. I suspect that On The Border will go now. So I am going to vote for something which I think no-one else will vote for.

I cast my vote for Best Of My Love.

There is too much of it. This is the only Eagles song where the harmonies are cloying, not moving, and it's too repetitious. It is probably one of my favourite lyrics but the music isn't good enough for a song this 'important'. As I say, I suspect I am alone here.

I agree FP, it is a shame to see My Man go, but that will probably be the way I feel about most all of the songs from here on out. I do disagree about The Best of My Love though. I think it is a wonderful song. IMO, the next song to go should be Ol' 55. Even though our guys make it into a beautiful song, it was not written by the band, and the lyrics aren't nearly as good as any of the remaining songs. I want to make it clear, I am not officially casting my vote at this point. I just wanted to encourage others to vote for Ol' 55. :wink:

sodascouts
02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I see your point about Ol' 55, dreamer, but the song is so gorgeous - Don and Glenn just blending perfectly and Glenn's heartfelt "yes it is" after singing that the sun's coming up - the song always puts a big smile on my face. On the Border is not as enjoyable, IMHO. I think I might hold off voting for a bit, too, though, just to see what happens!

timfan
02-25-2007, 10:00 PM
My choice this round was between Good day in Hell and On the Border. Since IMO Good day in hell is a tune that really speaks to me of the wild life the Eagles led back then.. a life of booze, drugs and women. I am drawn to this song... i feel no such draw with On the Border. So by process of elimination

I cast my vote for On the Border

Maleah
02-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Hmmm.......I love both "Best of my Love" AND "On The Border" but seeing as I'm 0-1 so far with my fav. songs winning.......I'm guessing I'll be 0-2 :laugh:

I cast my vote for Good Day In Hell

While it's not a bad song by any means, it's just not one that grabs me and says listen to me over and over and over again :D lol

DonFan
02-26-2007, 01:44 AM
It is becoming increasingly difficult to chose now, since all the remaining songs have such strengths. I agree with dreamer about the fact that Ol' 55 was not written by the band and is therefore not a huge favorite, however, so....

I vote to vast off Ol' 55.

Maleah
02-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Really? wow! imo, the harmony on the chorus is some of the best I've ever heard from the band and it makes me not even care that it wasn't written by them! lol :laugh:

EasyFeeling
02-26-2007, 05:52 AM
I agree with you, Maleah. I really love that song no matter if it's written by the band or not.

I cast my vote for James Dean.

sodascouts
02-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Looks like so far it's anybody's round, so I'll go ahead and commit:

OK everybody! Save Ol' 55! Vote for On the Border!

Brooke
02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok, I didn't even know that Ol' 55 wasn't written by our guys. That takes care of that for me then. I was going to vote for OTB, but this changes my mind and makes Ol' 55 not deserving.

Therefore, [/b]I cast my vote for Ol' 55![/b]

Sorry Soda!

sodascouts
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Arrgh! Curse you, dreamer!!! You've stolen another one!

:sword: :cuss:

P.S. Brooke, in order to make the bold word, remove the backslash in the initial [ b] (but also take out any extra spaces).

02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Arrgh! Curse you, dreamer!!! You've stolen another one!

:sword: :cuss:

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Not done yet, though. This round is still up for grabs. I'm sure everyone else that votes will see it my way and vote for Ol '55. I'm still holding off on my vote though. :wink:

Perfect Little Sister
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Hmmm...this game is going to get hard for me to play. lol

Brooke
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey PLS....no fair! You can NOT vote twice in one round! :wink:

SODA...... :lol:

Normally I just highlight the text and hit the B button! That's what I got when I did that! I don't know what's going on. Also, this board is running v e r y s l o w l y today. Wierd. :?

02-26-2007, 02:57 PM
That's okay, Brooke - I used my moderator powers to delete the double post by PLS. Now - if she had voted for Ol '55, I may have left it. :wink: :wink:

And yes - the board has been slow for me today as well.

Randy's Girl
02-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I cast my vote again for On The Border - I still don't like the song :D

glenneaglesfan
02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Drat, I like On The Border and Ol' 55, but it looks like one of them will go this time around. Of the rest, Good Day In Hell is a great song, but the one I am least familiar with, so

Perfect Little Sister
02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey PLS....no fair! You can NOT vote twice in one round! :wink:

SODA...... :lol:

Normally I just highlight the text and hit the B button! That's what I got when I did that! I don't know what's going on. Also, this board is running v e r y s l o w l y today. Wierd. :?

You have my abject apologies Brooke. My computer argues with me so often that when it ignored me this morning i hit submit a second time assuming the program would pop up that "you cannot post again" thing if I did send it twice. Now...you know what happens when we assume, don't you? :lol: But seriously, thank you Dreamer for fixing it. I didn't check the post since the comp was so slow. However...I did want OTB to be the one to leave this time so........

Molly
02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, this is getting tough.
I cast my vote for "On the Border"

Maleah
02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
*groan* I think I see the ship going down lol

I just can't believe you guys are voting off this boards namesake :D

Freypower
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
There are better tracks on the album. It has nothing to do with the title of the board.

sodascouts
02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Maleah, you're so ruthless, trying to guilt folks into saving On the Border because it's the board name! But I know your game, girlie! And this after your brutal reply to me in the last round about my brilliant strategy made me sob in my pillow for hours last night!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

;)

Maleah
02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
There are better tracks on the album. It has nothing to do with the title of the board.

lol I know it has nothing to do with the title of the board.......I was just playing Soda's game ;) :D

Maleah
02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Maleah, you're so ruthless, trying to guilt folks into saving On the Border because it's the board name! But I know your game, girlie! And this after your brutal reply to me in the last round about my brilliant strategy made me sob in my pillow for hours last night!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

;)

I know............I almost felt guilty :D But then I went and re-read your post on TLR boards about only being able to join if they helped you vote off OTB ;) I'm gonna go sob into MY pillow now :cry: *sniffle* :D

sodascouts
02-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh, now you've done it! it's ON!

:fight:

02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Well - barring a last minute miracle, I guess On the Border is about to be voted off. What a shame - I think it is so much better lyrically than Ol '55. A few weeks ago one of my co-workers said that On the Border is the song that won him over as an Eagles fan. As he said - any band that writes lyrics like "Cruising down the center of a two-way street, wondering who is really in the driver's seat" is just awesome. Even though Ol '55 does have the beautiful harmonies, it just doesn't measure up On the Border, IMO. But, I guess I'm in the minority here. So, even though my vote may only count in the event of a future tie breaker....

I cast my vote for Ol '55.

sodascouts
02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
The fifth song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is On the Border itself, with 5 votes. “On the Border,” please step to the right immediately and get off the island (or we can make it hard!) The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
On the Border – 5
Ol’ 55 – 3
Good Day in Hell – 3
The Best of My Love – 1
James Dean – 1

Vote Breakdown
On the Border – timfan
On the Border – SodaScouts
On the Border – Perfect Little Sister
On the Border – Molly
Ol’ 55 – DonFan
Ol’ 55 – Brooke
Good Day in Hell – Maleah
Good Day in Hell – glenneaglesfan
The Best of My Love – Freypower
James Dean – EasyFeeling

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 6 begins now!

Freypower
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
And yes, it's me again. Vote now and vote often. :wink:

Seriously.... I know On The Border has a better lyric than Ol'55 but... sigh.... I cannot bring myself to vote for Ol'55.

Again, I cast my vote for Best Of My Love, knowing that I will probably be the only person to do so.

sodascouts
02-27-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm ready to let Good Day in Hell go now. It's a fun song, but some of the metaphors are... well... questionable. "Every girl's a fork in the road" - um, OK. lol

I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell.

DonFan
02-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I cast my vote for Ol' 55.
This song MUST go now!

freyfanatic
02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Once again, :roll: I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell

EasyFeeling
02-28-2007, 04:42 AM
I haven't change my mind so I cast my vote for James Dean.

Randy's Girl
02-28-2007, 05:46 AM

Molly
02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
I cast my vote for "The Best of My Love".

Brooke
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I haven't changed my mind either. :wink:

Ol' 55 must go now! How can anyone vote off Good Day in Hell? It's so fun and crazy! Ol' 55 puts me to sleep! :zzz: And Best of My Love? Blasphemy! I know what you're doing Fp! :enraged: :armed: :lol:

I cast my vote for Ol'55! Be gone!

Maleah
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM

timfan
02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I cast my vote for Good day in Hell

Brooke
02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh nooooooooooooo! :(

sodascouts
02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Looks like a certain song may be going down in flames... but we'll see! It's still anybody's round.

glenneaglesfan
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
OK, I'm going to stick to my guns here and vote

I cast my vote for A Good day In Hell

Glennsallnighter
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
OK, I'm going to stick to my guns here and vote

I cast my vote for A Good day In Hell

I'll also cast my vote for Good Day in Hell. Am I allowed 2 votes as its my Birthday?.
Thought not!

glenneaglesfan
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Good try, GA!!!

Nobody gets away with cheating here!

Freypower
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
It is far & away the best song on the album - Glenn at his charismatic best. The lyrics are sexist. That's part of the charm. 8)

I had to say that, now it seems it's 'going down'. With me, however, it will always be 'glory bound'. :D

DonFan
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree, FP--it is my one of my top favorite Eagles songs, period. The Glenn-Don harmony, especially in the second verse, is outstanding and the song just ROCKS!
I can't believe it is going down.....<sigh>

Z
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Interesting that the sexist lyrics of Good Day in Hell are viewed one way and yet the sexist lyrics of You Never Cry Like a Lover were viewed the opposite way.

02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Well - I, for one, don't care about the sexist lyrics since these song were written in the early '70's when there were very sexist attitudes in general. I would probably feel differently if they were written today. But I agree that Good Day in Hell doesn't deserve to go down yet. It is a really good song, and I am truly surprized about this. Oh well, the tribe has spoken (almost).

I cast my vote for Ol' 55.

BTW Z - love that hot new AV of yours. :wink:

Freypower
02-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Interesting that the sexist lyrics of Good Day in Hell are viewed one way and yet the sexist lyrics of You Never Cry Like a Lover were viewed the opposite way.

GDIH is more of a lighthearted romp rather than being addressed to one woman in particular (even though it starts 'can't you see she wants you'). YNCLAL is picking over the bare bones of a very specific relatonship whereas GDIH seems to roam over how the singer/s feel about women in general in relation to their own lives.

I don't actually think YNCLAL is particularly sexist, rather that the man is not admitting that he could be at fault. As the song goes on you do sense his disappointment at how things have turned out.

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 02:01 AM
I think they're both sexist, but dreamer has a good point about taking into consideration the time period. Still, when I put GDIH up against the other remaining songs, the sexism helped me make what was otherwise a nearly impossible decision - what to go next!

I will say that I have always interpreted GDIH as the song of a man getting weary of meaningless sex and perhaps determining to give it up for something deeper (ie 'tomorrow I'll be glory bound.') Still, one can't ignore the obviously objectifying verses.

The song's melody, guitar, and harmonies are outstanding, however.

Freypower
03-01-2007, 02:49 AM
I never thought of 'tomorrow I'll be glory bound' in that way. I thought they were just reinforcing the cynicism and resignation in an 'oh well, what the hell' manner. That's interesting when you put it like that. When they sing lines like 'someone get me out of town' it does indicate that perhaps they're 'sick and tired' of it all.

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I never thought of 'tomorrow I'll be glory bound' in that way. I thought they were just reinforcing the cynicism and resignation in an 'oh well, what the hell' manner. That's interesting when you put it like that. When they sing lines like 'someone get me out of town' it does indicate that perhaps they're 'sick and tired' of it all.

Right. Even if you find chocolate absolutely delicious, after eating chocolate night after night after night, you might begin to grow weary of it. Perhaps "all this gratification" was becoming old hat by 1974, although I imagine they still engaged in it. ;)

Z
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Perhaps "all this gratification" was becoming old hat by 1974, although I imagine they still engaged in it. ;)

I'd bet the ranch on it!

Brooke
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Ha ha! I would too!

Very good analysis ladies! I just still cannot fathom how you can vote it off before Ol' 55? Even if it is sexist, it's so good and so fun! :?

And I would rather hear it 10 times in a row than hear Ol'55 10 times in a row! I guess that's just me though!

03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Perhaps "all this gratification" was becoming old hat by 1974, although I imagine they still engaged in it. ;)

I'd bet the ranch on it!

Me too, Z and also Molly's kidney. :wink:

And Brooke - I am totally with you here. I feel exactly like you do. I would have never guessed Ol' 55 would have outlasted On the Border or Good Day in Hell. Please don't tell me it's going to beat out any other remaining songs. I won't be able to bear it. :P :wink:

Brooke
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Please don't tell me it's going to beat out any other remaining songs. I won't be able to bear it. :P :wink:

I'm with you here as well, dreamer! :P

Oh yeah, I forgot....we are twins separated at birth! :lol:

Molly
03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
When they sing lines like 'someone get me out of town' it does indicate that perhaps they're 'sick and tired' of it all.

And I picture someone looking over at the stranger they just woke up next to and thinking, "Get me out of here!"

Hey dreamer, I didn't know my kidneys were free for the taking! Please be sure to leave me one, OK?

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
The sixth song to go down in flames on On the Border Survivor is Good Day in Hell, with 7 votes. “Good Day in Hell,” please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Good Day in Hell – 7
Ol’ 55 – 3
The Best of My Love – 2
James Dean – 1

Vote Breakdown
Good Day in Hell – SodaScouts
Good Day in Hell – Randy’s Girl
Good Day in Hell – Maleah
Good Day in Hell – timfan
Good Day in Hell – glenneaglesfan
Good Day in Hell - Glennsallnighter
Ol’ 55 – DonFan
Ol’ 55 – Brooke
The Best of My Love – Molly
James Dean – EasyFeeling

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27
Good Day in Hell 03/01

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
James Dean
Ol' 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 7 begins now!

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
OK, I'm going surprise a few people...

I cast my vote for Already Gone.

timfan
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Soda that is a suprise! a tactial move? :wink:

Of the four remaining songs I feel The Best of my Love is the weakest. As Don has stated many times it is a difficult song to perform live. Also I find it too sugary for my taste.

Therefore I cast my vote for The Best of my Love

Maleah
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Well................since I adore "Best of my Love" :D............

I cast my vote for 'Ole 55

freyfanatic
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm skipping the rest on voting the choices just got to hard to decide on :roll:

Freypower
03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow! I wasn't first to vote for a change! I must say I'm surprised that Already Gone and especially James Dean have lasted this long.

I cast my vote for Best Of My Love. Do we see it slipping away?! :D

Maleah
03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
are you confused as to why they've lasted this long because you didn't think they were as popular as they seem to be? Or because they aren't the best songs on the album? lol

I actually really like Already Gone..........but have never liked James Dean. Go figure :roll: lol

EasyFeeling
03-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Me too and I would hate to see this song leaving.

I cast my vote for James Dean.

03-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Me too and I would hate to see this song leaving.

I agree Maleah and EF. And therefore, I urge those of you who have not already voted to form a coalition and vote now for Ol' 55. It is the only way to save The Best of My Love. There is NO WAY that Ol' 55 is a better song. Join together now to save The Best of My Love. BTW - I am not officially casting my vote at this time. :D :D :D

Hey dreamer, I didn't know my kidneys were free for the taking! Please be sure to leave me one, OK?

Oh Molly - don't worry, there is no way I'd would give BOTH of your kidney's away. What kind of friend would I be if I did that! :wink: :twisted:

Brooke
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
OMG! I am just way shocked here! Soda-Already Gone? What gives girl? :shock:

And Best of My Love? Has someone been smoking some funny stuff? :shock:

Ol' 55 must go now and that is my vote! I can't fathom how this can be a better song than those two! :? :scowl: :D [/b]

Perfect Little Sister
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
OK, I'm going surprise a few people...

::slap, slap,slap::

What were you thinking?!!?

I'm on the fence here....James Dean? but it's so cute when they did it with the awful 70's sunglasses. Ol' 55? but the harmonies are so gorgeous. Hmmm....

eeny, meeny, miney, mo.......

I cast my vote for Ol' 55 as it is a cover. Ouch, that hurt. :wink:

sodascouts
03-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I knew I would shock some people, lol. But I've got to consider who I want to be the final winner!

I join with dreamer in urging the people who like BOML to vote for Ol' 55, though! In fact I wish I had, but it's too late now!

Save The Best of My Love! Vote Ol' 55!

EasyFeeling
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Ummm... I haven't thought about that strategy. I just voted for that song which I don't like.
Soda, you said it's too late so that means we cannot change our votes? :|

Randy's Girl
03-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Freypower
03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
are you confused as to why they've lasted this long because you didn't think they were as popular as they seem to be? Or because they aren't the best songs on the album? lol

I actually really like Already Gone..........but have never liked James Dean. Go figure :roll: lol

I didn't think they were as popular as they seem to be. I obviously am very fond of them - I haven't voted for either of them yet.

I urge you all to save Already Gone. Remember if it wins, I can do a 'history of screenshots' of it. I can't do that with BOML. :twisted:

sodascouts
03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
No, EF, I'm afraid you can't change your vote.

And I'll just lay it all out on the table now - if my favorite BOML wins - I will put up a video of it from Houston 1976 on GFO for the bootleg of the week - an unprecedented move! ;)

glenneaglesfan
03-02-2007, 08:05 PM
It's getting really difficult here; BOML is one of my favourites, I love Ol'55, I also love Already Gone and James Dean, but if I have to vote one off it will be James Dean, because I never really got into him as an actor.

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Its a difficult one. All I know is that I want to save Already Gone. Reluctantly I'll cast my vote for Ole 55, but its very close and getting harder with each round. :?

DonFan
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Save The Best of My Love! Vote Ol' 55!

I'm with you all the way, Soda!
I adore BOML! I vote that Ol' 55 must go!

EasyFeeling
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
No, EF, I'm afraid you can't change your vote.

And I'll just lay it all out on the table now - if my favorite BOML wins - I will put up a video of it from Houston 1976 on GFO for the bootleg of the week - an unprecedented move! ;)

Oh, I hope BOML wins since it's my favourite too. And I want to see that video. :twisted:

DonFan
03-03-2007, 10:53 AM
If my favorite BOML wins - I will put up a video of it from Houston 1976 on GFO for the bootleg of the week - an unprecedented move! ;)
Oh, I hope BOML wins since it's my favourite too. And I want to see that video. :twisted:

Me too!

03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Well - finally it looks as though Ol' 55 is about to go lickety splitly. I feel bad about trying so hard to get rid of it because it is a lovely song. However, I just don't think it's as good as the others. Of course, if necessary, I would have voted for it. However, since it appears to be going down, I can use my vote for another strategic move, so ...

I cast my vote for The Best of My Love.

sodascouts
03-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the delay - I went and had some dinner! Anyway...

The seventh song to get eliminated from On the Border Survivor is Ol’ 55, with 5 votes. “Ol’ 55,” you have to be on your way. Please leave immediately. The final three songs may return to camp.

Votes
Ol’ 55 – 5
James Dean – 3
The Best of My Love – 3
Already Gone – 1

Vote Breakdown
Ol’ 55 – Maleah
Ol’ 55 – Brooke
Ol’ 55 – Perfect Little Sister
Ol’ 55 – Glennsallnighter
Ol’ 55 – Dana
James Dean – EasyFeeling
James Dean – Randy’s Girl
James Dean – glenneaglesfan
The Best of My Love – timfan
The Best of My Love – ive always been a dreamer
Already Gone – SodaScouts

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27
Good Day in Hell 03/01
Ol’ 55 03/03

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
James Dean
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 8 begins now!

Freypower
03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
OK.. since Ol' 55 is gone, I seriously can't tell myself that James Dean is a better song than BOML. I am very fond of James Dean but there is something slightly 'kitschy' about it, especially the 'little James Dean,up on the screen' part. Um.

Sigh... reluctantly, I cast my vote for James Dean.

Maleah
03-04-2007, 12:18 AM
whew, I finally get to vote for it! (or would that be against it? lol)

EasyFeeling
03-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Ok, I go crazy if James Dean comes through this round. :roll:

I cast my vote for James Dean, again.

Randy's Girl
03-04-2007, 10:50 AM

03-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok, I go crazy if James Dean comes through this round. :roll:

I cast my vote for James Dean, again.

:D :D :D

Brooke
03-04-2007, 03:58 PM
No contest here!

I cast my vote for James Dean!

I never knew anything about him either!

Glennsallnighter
03-04-2007, 05:51 PM
For this round I'm also going to cast my vote for James Dean. Not because I don't like it, but I just think the other two are better.

DonFan
03-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I know about James Dean, the whole myth surrounding the Hollywood idol who died so young, and the tragic way he died when he crashed his Spyder. That is one reason why I thought these lyrics were especially clever:

Little James Dean, up on the screen
Wond'rin' who he might be
Along came a Spyder and picked up a rider
And took him down the road to eternity

However, after saying all that, I still cast my vote to remove James Dean, because the remaining two songs really are my favorites.

sodascouts
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I think it's obvious what's going down - deservedly so. But instead of adding one more log to the fire, I'll go a different way:

Perfect Little Sister
03-05-2007, 11:56 AM
And I'll cast my vote for The Best of My Love. :twisted:

sodascouts
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Aw, harsh!

PLS' vote :robinhood:

timfan
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
well i'm going to stick with my previous vote...

I cast my vote for the Best of My Love :P :twisted:

Perfect Little Sister
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Aw, harsh!

PLS' vote :robinhood:

Bwwaaahahhahahaha!!!!!!!

glenneaglesfan
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, it does look like James Dean is going down, and as with most of the other tracks I do like it, but I can't let either of the others go, so

EasyFeeling
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
What's wrong with you Soda, TF and PLS? :wink: These are the best songs from that album.

timfan
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
What's wrong with you Soda, TF and PLS? :wink: These are the best songs from that album.

Luckily everyone is allowed an opinion :P That's part of the fun of the game! :wink: 8)

glenneaglesfan
03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I think there is some subtle tactical voting going on here! :wink:

03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
GEF - I think you may be right! :wink:

In my case I want James Dean to be voted off (I can't believe I just said that). :wink: However, since it is apparent that it will be the next to go, I don't need to "waste" my vote by voting for it. Therefore, I can use my vote for another song. Remember, by rule, if the voting in any round should end in a tie, then the song that has the most votes from previous rounds is the loser. So with that in mind since I ultimately want Already Gone to win ...

I cast my vote for The Best of My Love.

Hope that all makes sense. :D :D

sodascouts
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
And now we’re down to it, folks. The eighth song to get eliminated from On the Border Survivor is James Dean, with 8 votes. “James Dean,” time for you to go on down the road to eternity. Please leave immediately.

The two remaining songs, Best of My Love and Already Gone, please step forward for the final round.

Votes
James Dean – 8
The Best of My Love – 3
Already Gone – 1

Vote Breakdown
James Dean – Freypower
James Dean – Maleah
James Dean – EasyFeeling
James Dean – Randy’s Girl
James Dean – Brooke
James Dean – Glennsallnighter
James Dean – DonFan
James Dean – glenneaglesfan
Already Gone – sodascouts
The Best of My Love – Perfect Little Sister
The Best of My Love – timfan
The Best of My Love – ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27
Good Day in Hell 03/01
Ol’ 55 03/03
James Dean 03/05

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
The Best of My Love

OK. We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all. Once again...

Vote for the song you want to win.

Voting for the FINAL round begins now!

sodascouts
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't need to wait to cast my vote this time. I know which one I want to win.

I cast my vote for Best of My Love.

Come on guys! It's a stunningly beautiful song, with magnificent harmonies and a real emotional depth. Don's voice on it is absolutely flawless, injecting just the right amount of regret and sadness. And when he sings "You know we always had each other, baby... I guess that wasn't enough....oh, ho, woah, but... here in my heart, I give you the best of my love" - heartbreaking.

I adore this song. It's a masterpiece.

And so....

BEST OF MY LOVE for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timfan
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
now the final round is HERE.... :D

I cast my vote for Already Gone!!

It's the greatest song on this album IMO. and AG sure has stood the test of time.. being a staple at the Eagles concerts for years!

So... ALREADY GONE must win On the Border Song Survivor!!!!!

:D :D :D

03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't have to wait to cast my vote either this time. This is really a shame that there has to be a loser here. I can't think of anything bad to say about either of these songs, and I wish there could just be a tie here. Both of these songs are awesome, and I totally agree with what both Soda and Timfan are saying here. I really won't be disappointed no matter what happens here. But, having said all this, when all things are equal, I generally prefer the rockers over the ballads, so ...

Freypower
03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Already Gone. Although Glenn didn't write it it's one of his 'victory songs' par excellence. You have to love that 'my my'. 8)

Besides, I want to do another 'history of screenshots' of it.

Brooke
03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, no real loser here for me. I absolutely love both of these, but....
back in the day, Don's voice (that voice again!) just got me in BOML. It is absolutely heartwrenching.

But, AG has two of my very favorite lines of all time!:

"when you look up in the sky,
you can see the stars, but still not see the light"

and

"So often times it happens that we live our life in chains,
And we never even know we have the key"

Those lines just get me every time, too!

So what will it be?
I vote for Best of My Love. It takes me back the farthest.

DonFan
03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
"So often times it happens that we live our life in chains,
And we never even know we have the key."

I love those lines too. <sigh>

However, for reasons Soda so eloquently expressed above, I vote for Best of My Love. It is an absolutely gorgeous song and every time I hear Don sing it, I melt.

BEST OF MY LOVE for the WIN!

Maleah
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
AG is a fun song to listen to, and Glenn does a great job on it..........but imo BOML is absolutely flawless, as Soda said. one of the things that first drew me to The Eagles music was hearing the raw emotion in Don's voice. I can honestly say that, imo, there are VERY few singers who can sing a song....and make you feel like you're going through that experience with them...you're feeling the emotions that the singer is feeling. To me, I feel that when I listen to BOML. And the harmonies........wow! So obviously........

I cast my vote for Best of my Love

Karen Carpenter
03-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Already Gone, of course! I'm not a big "Best of my Love" fan.

I cast my vote for "Already Gone".

EasyFeeling
03-06-2007, 05:06 AM
I totally agree with what Soda said so

I cast my vote for BEST OF MY LOVE :D

Glennsallnighter
03-06-2007, 05:19 AM
I love both songs but they are quite different. I love the way Glenn sings AG. He makes it sound fun even tho he's just been dumped! There again he wouldn't ever have had to wait long for somebody new to come to town I dare say. I love the way he sings the 'my girl' bit in the following lines

So just remember this my girl when you look up in the sky,
you can see the stars but still not see the light!

As many of you concur the following are also very powerful lyrics

"so often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
and we never even know we've got the key"

So for me I have to vote ALREADY GONE to win.

I've really enjoyed playing my first Survivor. Hopefully we can do it all again soon!

EasyFeeling
03-06-2007, 05:37 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: 5 votes for each song... :shock:

Soda, I can't find the rules for the game. :? I wanted to read these again.

sodascouts
03-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Easy Feeling - here are the basic rules to the game (but I think you probably already know these):

Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

For more detailed rules about ties and such, check out the first post of this thread.

So as you can see, in case of a tie, the winner will be Already Gone because BOML has the most negative votes in prior rounds. That means that if you love BOML you better hurry up and vote! ;)

P.S. I think the above example does a really good job of explaining why some people do strategic voting!

EasyFeeling
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Soda, I was looking for this rule because I couldn't remember:

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated.

Randy's Girl
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I cast my vote for ALREADY GONE

EasyFeeling
03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
:shock: :shock:

Maleah
03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
bah see if I vote for any Randy songs :P :wink: just kidding RG :D

sodascouts
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
For the undecided.... did you know that Already Gone was NOT written by an Eagle? Let's reward the boys for their creativity! Vote Best of My Love for the win!

Brooke
03-06-2007, 03:48 PM
That was one of the reasons I voted for BOML. They didn't write AG.

Come on people-vote for BOML! :wink:

Perfect Little Sister
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Well...

I love both of these songs. But I have to cast my vote for Already Gone as it is just more fun.

Freypower
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Let's hear it for Jack Tempchin from San Diego, co-writer of such efforts as POMPOY, YBTTC, True Love, ROD..... :twisted:

You know it makes sense. See the light. :D

glenneaglesfan
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, its not been easy, but I'm going to have to vote for a song that's been iconic in my life - Best of my love

I cast my final vote for Best Of My Love

03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Aaawwww - look how close this is. I think we should stop the voting now and just declare it a tie! :wink: :D But as I said earlier, I won't be disappointed regardless of the outcome. Either song is deserving of the top prize.

timfan
03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
this sure is fun!

I love that its so close cause they really are both great songs but... VOTE FOR ALREADY GONE!!! :D :D

Randy's Girl
03-07-2007, 05:51 AM
If you watch the Houston DVD performance of Already Gone, the first shot is of Randy smiling as the song starts :D Gets my vote everytime (and I can hear his voice :wink: )

glenneaglesfan
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Come on, guys - Best Of My Love - the first number 1 hit for the Eagles - vote for BOML!!!!

sodascouts
03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
And it’s time to declare the winner! It’s been a close one, but with 7 votes, the winner of On the Border Survivor is.....

ALREADY GONE!

Votes
Already Gone – 7
The Best of My Love – 6

Vote Breakdown
Already Gone – timfan
Already Gone – ive always been a dreamer
Already Gone – Freypower
Already Gone – Karen Carpenter
Already Gone – Glennsallnighter
Already Gone – Randy’s Girl
Already Gone – Perfect Little Sister
The Best of My Love – sodascouts
The Best of My Love – Brooke
The Best of My Love – DonFan
The Best of My Love – Maleah
The Best of My Love – EasyFeeling
The Best of My Love – glenneaglesfan

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27
Good Day in Hell 03/01
Ol’ 55 03/03
James Dean 03/05
The Best of My Love 03/07

Congrats, ALREADY GONE!

To celebrate...

Watch Already Gone from the Kirshner Rock Concert, 1974!
Download as .mpg (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/AlreadyGoneKirshner74.mpg) (49 megs)
Download as .wmv (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/AlreadyGoneKirshner74.wmv) (11 megs)

That was fun, guys! Thanks for playing!

Freypower
03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
And to help AG sing its victory song, head to Frey Fever.... :wink: :twisted:

03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Well that was fun. Congratulations to Already Gone - and to The Best of My Love for putting up such a valiant fight. When the game began, I honestly thought The Best of My Love was going to win with Already Gone coming in 2nd place, but I am not surprized at all that it was so close. I wasn't surprized at You Never Cry Like a Lover and Is It True being the first two to go down either. However, I was somewhat surprized at the order that some of the other songs went down, but that was part of what made it fun.

Looking forward to to another game soon.

EasyFeeling
03-08-2007, 05:00 AM
I had expected to see Best Of My Love as the winner, but ok, the 2nd place is not bad. :wink:

Already Gone is a great song and deserves to be the winner.

So congratulations to Already Gone! :D

Glennsallnighter
03-08-2007, 05:44 AM
And it’s time to declare the winner! It’s been a close one, but with 7 votes, the winner of On the Border Survivor is.....

ALREADY GONE!

Votes
Already Gone – 7
The Best of My Love – 6

Vote Breakdown
Already Gone – timfan
Already Gone – ive always been a dreamer
Already Gone – Freypower
Already Gone – Karen Carpenter
Already Gone – Glennsallnighter
Already Gone – Randy’s Girl
Already Gone – Perfect Little Sister
The Best of My Love – sodascouts
The Best of My Love – Brooke
The Best of My Love – DonFan
The Best of My Love – Maleah
The Best of My Love – EasyFeeling
The Best of My Love – glenneaglesfan

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 02/21
Midnight Flyer 02/23
My Man 02/25
On the Border 02/27
Good Day in Hell 03/01
Ol’ 55 03/03
James Dean 03/05
The Best of My Love 03/07

Congrats, ALREADY GONE!

To celebrate...

Watch Already Gone from the Kirshner Rock Concert, 1974!
Download as .mpg (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/AlreadyGoneKirshner74.mpg) (49 megs)
Download as .wmv (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/AlreadyGoneKirshner74.wmv) (11 megs)

That was fun, guys! Thanks for playing!

Hi Soda! Did I not vote for AG as well (top of page 13)? Only you don't have my name on the list of people who voted for it :( . Anyway it was still fun! thanks GA

glenneaglesfan
03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Congratulations to ALREADY GONE - a close call and a worthy winner!! Congratulations also to Best Of My Love for a close second place. That was fun, and a good excuse to listen to the album again. Look forward to the next one.

sodascouts
03-08-2007, 09:49 AM
oops GA - sorry! That's actually why I always list names - in case I forget to count someone. I'll go back and fix it. Thank goodness it didn't affect the outcome, or then I think folks might be after me with tar and feathers! ;)

Brooke
03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that too Soda! Glenn is :smokin:

Karen Carpenter
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Congratulations to "Already Gone" and "Best of My Love"! Good job to both! And thanks for the video link, SodaScouts!