PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

rocky_mtn_way
01-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Hi, my name is Billy. Don't let the screen name fool you, while i love Joe Walsh, I am more a Glenn or Bernie guy. But, i hail from the Rocky Mountain Way. I have loved The Eagles for as long as I can remember. My dad used to sing their songs around the house, and when I heard the albums I thought he was an Eagle :laugh: Anyway, later in life when I was a teen, and my dad and I didn't talk much, or have much in common, the Eagles were, pardon the reference, the common thread. Lots of good memories. I learned to sing harmony parts by picking out the different parts of Eagles songs and figuring out who sang what. I learned guitar and mandolin to Eagles songs.
Anyway, about me. I am a Master's student in History, I am writing about how the Western US influenced popular music, as well as how the West has been defined by popular music. My thesis goes from post WWII to about 1972, yep I end with the Eagles. When I go to PhD, I will expand into the seventies, but limited time right now. I would love a chance to talk with any of you about my topic, and I love sharing what I am researching, so please feel free to contact me. As a father and student I don't get much free time, but I look forward to finding a sanctuary from work at least when I need one here. Thanks for letting me introduce myself. I hope to meet many of you soon.

Billy

AzEaglesFan
01-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Welcome. If you are interested in the Eagles, you are in the right place. Major Eagle fans here.

tequila girl
01-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Hi Billy.........Welcome to The Border! :)

Annabel
01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
:-) Hi from me Billy. As another newbie they look like a nice bunch. :yay:

TimothyBFan
01-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Welcome Billy!! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it here on The Border. Mike & Austin will be happy to have another man around. :lol:

MikeA
01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Welcome home Billy. Glad to have you around! WE've had guitarists around the board here but I think you may be the first mandolinist <??>

The guy who started me playing (again) back in the 90's is a violinist and mandolinist....toured with Ray Price and has played with most of the country bluegrass stars back in the day. He plays in an orchestra too.

Father-in-law also plays violin and mandolin along with guitar...but he's pretty much all old-time country (almost country/folk) and gospel.

Koala
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Welcome from me as well, Billy!:-)

Prettymaid
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
My dad used to sing their songs around the house, and when I heard the albums I thought he was an Eagle :laugh:

I love this part! So sweet.

Welcome from me too, RMW. "Sanctuary" ... I like that. This is a great place to meet up with other Eagles and music fans and talk about everything from what you did today to the meaning of a particular song to a favorite joke. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Billy and welcome. We are glad you found us and hope you enjoy your time here on The Border. Please feel free to join in on the discussions here (or create your own). I'd love to hear more about your thesis because I am both a history and a music buff. :thumbsup:

rocky_mtn_way
01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :yay:

sodascouts
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Billy! Welcome! I just finished my PhD a couple summers ago so I know how busy one can get when working on a thesis. It sounds like you've got a fascinating topic.

Brooke
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Welcome from me, too, Billy. Glad you found us. This is a wonderful place to associate with other Eagles lovers!

rocky_mtn_way
01-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Billy! Welcome! I just finished my PhD a couple summers ago so I know how busy one can get when working on a thesis. It sounds like you've got a fascinating topic.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your PhD in? Thanks again to all of you who have welcomed me in. I love the Eagles and they are one of many bands that are consistently in my all time favorites. I look forward to getting to know you all much better.
And to Mike A., I am happy to possibly be the first mandolinist, although I'm still learning the finer details about playing the instrument. Banjo is next on my list ;-)

sodascouts
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
My PhD is in Early Modern / Renaissance Literature, with a specialization in gender studies. My dissertation was entitled "Constancy and Punishment: Gender and the Virtue of Constancy in Early Modern Prose Romance."

I theorized that constancy is a fundamental element of the power relationships between men and women in the Renaissance. While women were expected to be constant, males were given more leeway in this arena. A man who is constant to one woman gives her a degree of power over his sexuality, which goes against the idea that a male must own the woman's sexuality in order to fulfill his gender role. Still, there was the unavoidable fact that adultery is a sin. A writer interested in portraying virtue must elevate constancy in both the male and female; however, the idea of the power this gives a woman creates an underlying ambivalence about male constancy that peeks through in the works. I proved my point using Sidney's Arcadia and Weamy's Continuation as well as Wroth's Urania.

rocky_mtn_way
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
My PhD is in Early Modern / Renaissance Literature, with a specialization in gender studies. My dissertation was entitled "Constancy and Punishment: Gender and the Virtue of Constancy in Early Modern Prose Romance."

I theorized that constancy is a fundamental element of the power relationships between men and women in the Renaissance. While women were expected to be constant, males were given more leeway in this arena. A man who is constant to one woman gives her a degree of power over his sexuality, which goes against the idea that a male must own the woman's sexuality in order to fulfill his gender role. Still, there was the unavoidable fact that adultery is a sin. A writer interested in portraying virtue must elevate constancy in both the male and female; however, the idea of the power this gives a woman creates an underlying ambivalence about male constancy that peeks through in the works. I proved my point using Sidney's Arcadia and Weamy's Continuation as well as Wroth's Urania.
Wow, impressive. Now I feel like I should have expounded more on what is going on in my thesis...maybe I simplified too much LOL. My biggest problem right now with explaining the project, and writing it, is the self-editing. There is so much I want to put in, but time and page limits dictate that not everything gets said. I will be done in June, and off to who knows where right now. The schools I applied to are all very interested in what I am doing though, so hopefully I canget it all in at the dissertation stage.

sodascouts
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
It's hard to explain what you're doing briefly. When I was working on my diss, I once got asked to explain what it was about "in a nutshell." After several minutes, I found that I still hadn't really explained it adequately, so I had to wrap it up rather lamely before I lost everyone in the room. Ever since then, I've worked to keep my diss summary tidy and short! Self-editing is difficult. Do you get much feedback from your adviser?

rocky_mtn_way
01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
It's hard to explain what you're doing briefly. When I was working on my diss, I once got asked to explain what it was about "in a nutshell." After several minutes, I found that I still hadn't really explained it adequately, so I had to wrap it up rather lamely before I lost everyone in the room. Ever since then, I've worked to keep my diss summary tidy and short! Self-editing is difficult. Do you get much feedback from your adviser?
Not much right now. With budget cuts we lost 4 faculty members in one year, so my adviser also advises everyone doing US History. His specialty is 19th C. & Native Americans, so he lets me wander off on my own. But, I also got my BA here, so he is familiar with my work and trusts me to be able to handle it. Which, while nice, it also leads to times when I feel like I'm running into a brickwall.

Peekaboo
01-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Glad to have you here, Billy. Welcome!!!:)

WalshFan88
01-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Welcome from one musician to another! :)

Troubadour
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Welcome to The Border, Billy! Glad to have you here!

ticky
01-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Billy and sorry it took me so long to say welcome! Im a Pac NW-er as well, Im in Oregon. If you're an Eagles fan, this IS the place! Glad to have you aboard! :)

Glennsallnighter
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Billy! Welcome from me too in Dubin, Ireland. Your thesis topic sounds fascinating. I'm a Glenn :heart: fan too, though I love Joe as well, and Don.... oh and Timothy.... hell I love the lot of them! Have fun here