PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick

jdubfan
01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
They were once a band that I greatly enjoyed during my youth, played the label off of Live From Budakon. Somehow, kinda lost 'em along the way, haven't updated old stuff or bought any new. They were featured last weekend on Austin City Limits, and they really rocked the house! The original members of Robin Zander (still with the long blonde locks), Rick Nielsen (still being, uh, Rick), Tom Petersson (slaps a great 12-sting bass) and Bun E Carlos (what a great rock name) was not there, but does drums for recording, but Rick's son is the touring drummer. It was great to be reminded of them! :thumbsup:
They're going to play the halftime show for the Colts/Jets. Ought to be a great show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_xyvvluuI

sodascouts
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Love "The Flame."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhFxXce6nA

My cousin was once in a female tribute band to Cheap Trick. They called themselves "Cheap Chick." No lie!

WalshFan88
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I saw them in Peoria a few years ago when they opened for Aerosmith. Great show. I really like Rick Nielsen's playing and his 5-neck guitar he uses on "Surrender".

Brooke
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I was at that show, Austin! It was great! Love The Flame.

Molly
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Cheap Trick is one of my favorite bands - I've seen them 7 or 8 times over the years -starting when I was 15 years old.

My son, Tom, got me tickets as a Christmas present for their show in Milwaukee next month. It's been a while since I've seen them. I guess they're performing with an orchestra and choir, so it should be interesting and different.

Small venue and awesome seats so I'm really looking forward to it.

TimothyBFan
01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Love Cheap Trick and have saw them a couple of times including in high school, where I've told the story of getting backstage to meet Tom & Robin somewhere on this board before. Maybe in the Concerts thread? Great band!! :thumbsup:

jdubfan
01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Seemed like they played around my area a lot, I know they were one of my first concerts at the ol' ACC at Notre Dame. I saw them 4-5 times as a teenager, but not since the early 80s. The good bands seem to always be even better live than on album, and these guys certainly fit the bill. Robin's a great frontman, and of course you never know about Rick. Or his guitars.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I like Cheap Trick a lot, too - especially love The Flame.

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but when we were in Myrtle Beach a couple years ago to see the Eagles open the Hard Rock Amusement Park, there was a big private party at the Hard Rock Cafe the night before. While waiting for Soda and DonFan, we were standing around looking for some celebrity sitings (a.k.a. stalking the Eagles :wink:). Rick Nielsen and Tom Petersson walked right by me on their way to the party. But by the time I realized who they were, they had already passed me by. No sign of Robin though.

And Molly, first of all, welcome back - we've missed ya around here. Hope you have a great time at the show next month.

Molly
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome back, Kay.

Rick Nielsen was on a local radio station this morning and I listened in. I guess the show I'm seeing is based on the album "Dream Police" (which is one of my favs) and is indeed orchestrated and has a choir performing with the band.

Lots of visuals (some kind of a film) included, as well. Should be interesting.

The band is from Rockford, Ill. which isn't that far from here. Loved hearing people call in to the radio station telling Rick where they first saw him. One guy called in and said he used to go see them everyweek in Waukesha, WI at the local bowling alley.

Rick said they played there a lot and that's actually where they were discovered. A record exec from New York City was in Waukesha visiting family, and someone told him he had to go see the band.

The rest is history as they say.

TimothyBFan
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Seemed like they played around my area a lot, I know they were one of my first concerts at the ol' ACC at Notre Dame. I saw them 4-5 times as a teenager, but not since the early 80s. The good bands seem to always be even better live than on album, and these guys certainly fit the bill. Robin's a great frontman, and of course you never know about Rick. Or his guitars.

Exactly--that's where I saw and met them. I'm thinking it was probably '79 or '80 and I was a sophomore or junior in high school. One of the girls I knew was from Rockford and had recently moved to our area. She had 2 older brothers that were friends with them so had gotten tickets and backstage passes. I'm sure I made quite the impression on them while staring at them with my jaw dropped and my tongue hanging out. :hilarious: I remember they were really, really sweet tho and GORGEOUS!!!!!!

WalshFan88
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I think they are really underrated. I'd like to see them again. I saw the Austin City Limits show online and it was great. Love seeing Rick play all of those guitars. He understands collections and has a nice collection of "NICE" vintage guitars. I love his 5-neck Hamer guitar. He used to use it on Surrender but on the Austin show he didn't use it. Maybe the weight is getting to him (of the guitar).

TimothyBFan
07-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Did you guys hear about the stage collapsing on the band the other night? Very scary stuff but none of them were injured. They got lucky from the sound of it.

Least they have a bit of a sense of humor.

Though Frey and the members of Cheap Trick emerged from the collapse more or less unscathed, their truck driver sustained an injury to his abdomen and a cracked femur, and they lost all of their equipment. "Everything is gone. The gear is crushed and it's soaked, and it's part of an investigation with the police department, the fire department and the Ministry of Labor here," Frey says. "We're trying to get gear set up for our show tomorrow in Buffalo. Do you know where we can rent a five-neck guitar?"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cheap-trick-manager-i-cant-believe-were-alive-20110718

And here's the video!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqpXNfywT4

Ive always been a dreamer
07-18-2011, 07:01 PM
OMG - How scary! Thank goodness, there were no fatalities. From the looks of the pictures and video I've seen, it's almost a miracle that everyone survived this considering how many people were there. The band must have been quite shaken by this.

Koala
07-19-2011, 01:36 AM
I had already seen the video this morning on the news! Very scary!

Annabel
07-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Wow. Must have been very scary for everyone there.

sodascouts
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
How terrifying! Thank God no one was killed!

Troubadour
07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
That is scary. Thank goodness nobody was seriously injured, or worse.

WalshFan88
07-21-2011, 01:51 AM
How scary! So glad they are ok.

I did laugh at the 5-neck guitar thing. You all know how much I love(d) that guitar. ;) :hilarious: