PDA

View Full Version : A video interview with Joe's guitar tech

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
It's a video interview with Joe's guitar tech, Mark Reis. He talks about the Eagles. He comes in the video towards the middle (around 38mins in)! :)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11825330

Joe takes 28 guitars to every show... Holy shiznit! I only have 25 total!!!! LOL! I'll be getting more in the future. I'm just never gonna stop until I have the biggest guitar collection in the whole world. ;)

He talks about the Eagles tours, what Joe is like, jamming with Joe (the tech is a player himself), the "circle of fear", Joe's guitars (but I wish there would have been more info on this), and the future of music and his other acts he's worked with.

MikeA
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I haven't had time to listen to this one this morning (but may have heard at some point in the past). I imagine it would be difficult for him to discuss an entire barrage of instruments he maintains for Joe since I would assume that Joe changes the "line up" fairly often.

But it would be really interesting to hear him talk about some of the favorites. Maybe some of the Carvins he's used and maybe the PRS. I don't know how much Joe uses PRS these days, but for a while, and not too long ago, he endorsed them and posed for ads.

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I haven't had time to listen to this one this morning (but may have heard at some point in the past). I imagine it would be difficult for him to discuss an entire barrage of instruments he maintains for Joe since I would assume that Joe changes the "line up" fairly often.

But it would be really interesting to hear him talk about some of the favorites. Maybe some of the Carvins he's used and maybe the PRS. I don't know how much Joe uses PRS these days, but for a while, and not too long ago, he endorsed them and posed for ads.

I know he has one PRS, a Mira, he uses for slide guitar.

Troubadour
01-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for this, Austin!

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for this, Austin!

You're very welcome!!! :)

MikeA
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't think you'll ever catch up with Joe (or Jimmy Page for that matter) in numbers of guitars <LOL>

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think you'll ever catch up with Joe (or Jimmy Page for that matter) in numbers of guitars <LOL>

Never say never... I won't stop til I die, and unfortunately I have a lot more years left in me than they do. Last year I bought 6 guitars.

MikeA
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I would be overwhelmed by the shear numbers of guitars that Walsh and Page have. They both have about 40 years head start on you <LOL> But I do hope you accomplish it!

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I would be overwhelmed by the shear numbers of guitars that Walsh and Page have. They both have about 40 years head start on you <LOL> But I do hope you accomplish it!

They may have a headstart but I still have a lot of years left in me. I will have a huge collection. I'm only 22 now, imagine when I'm 82. I'll have a LOT of years to collect. They'll be long gone before I get up to the amount, but I have full intentions to do so. Don't doubt me! :eyebrow: :thumbsup::hilarious: I've only been collection since 2007 and I've already got close to his live amount (25). I have no plans to stop. I'll buy guitars til the day I die. And I'll play them too in my bands I am in. I won't just put them in closets. I'll play every one of them.

MikeA
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
You definitely got my blessin' Austin. Me, well, I think I'll collect dust. I can afford that <LOL>

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
You definitely got my blessin' Austin. Me, well, I think I'll collect dust. I can afford that <LOL>

And even if I don't have their amount of guitars, I promise you and swear on my life it'll be in the hundreds! Because last year I got 6 or 7 and this year I have plans to get at least that many. I see myself at least getting into the hundred range. :)

sodascouts
01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Cool find, Austin!

WalshFan88
01-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Cool find, Austin!

Thanks! :-)

Prettymaid
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Mark claims that Joe plays all 28 guitars during the course of a three hour show. :shock: :eyebrow: Granted, I don't pay that much attention, but come on - 28??!!?? Next time I'm going to count them! :lol:

WalshFan88
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Mark claims that Joe plays all 28 guitars during the course of a three hour show. :shock: :eyebrow: Granted, I don't pay that much attention, but come on - 28??!!?? Next time I'm going to count them! :lol:

:lol:

I do know he makes a LOT of guitar changes and that he changes frequently. But I don't think it's quite that many. Probably has 28 so he doesn't play the same guitars every night, he can mix it up. Has certain ones that will work on certain songs. More than one option for every song. But IDK about 28. Maybe.

MikeA
01-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Most guitarists have guitars set up identical to crucial instruments that are readily accessible in case something disastrous happens to his main axe. So some of those 28 are bound to be backups.

WalshFan88
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Most guitarists have guitars set up identical to crucial instruments that are readily accessible in case something disastrous happens to his main axe. So some of those 28 are bound to be backups.

Bingo!

WalshFan88
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I think that you, as our resident git expert, needs to find out ASAP. This is something very important that needs to be verified:nod:jk

LOL only way I can do that is do go to a show, and seeing they aren't in the US right now touring, that's not possible! :lol:

MikeA
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Reminds me of a BB King concert I went to back in the early 90's. He was playing at Century II in Wichita I think. Anyway, first he broke an "e" string during a song. He didn't do like Clapton who was known for breaking strings and making the band continue vamping until he could get a new one strung and tuned before resumming. The crowd would clap slowly resulting in the nickname "Slow Hand".

No, B.B. King kept right on with his solo after breaking the string....he just changed positions on his Lucille and played it on the "B" string!

Then a bit later in the show, his Fender Amp blew up! He didn't repair that like the broken string. He just took the amp his rhythm player used and the rhythm player had some backup amp that was different than the one he normally played through.

"It Happens". And never more so than when playing live.

WalshFan88
01-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Reminds me of a BB King concert I went to back in the early 90's. He was playing at Century II in Wichita I think. Anyway, first he broke an "e" string during a song. He didn't do like Clapton who was known for breaking strings and making the band continue vamping until he could get a new one strung and tuned before resumming. The crowd would clap slowly resulting in the nickname "Slow Hand".

No, B.B. King kept right on with his solo after breaking the string....he just changed positions on his Lucille and played it on the "B" string!

Then a bit later in the show, his Fender Amp blew up! He didn't repair that like the broken string. He just took the amp his rhythm player used and the rhythm player had some backup amp that was different than the one he normally played through.

"It Happens". And never more so than when playing live.

Definitely. I bring (or should I say brought, now) 7 guitars to every show.

MikeA
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
What got to me about that B.B King concert is that after striping the high 'e' string off of Lucille, he let it fall to the floor. He was pretty close to the front of the stage, sitting in a chair playing. I waited until the song was over and then left my seat to go to the front and ask him for the broken string. I got all the way to the second or third row before a guy got up off the end of the first row and beat me to the string! King graciously gave it to him.

Man, I'd have loved to have had that <LOL> I thought about asking him for his amp, but thought it would have been too much trouble to haul out to the car.

jdubfan
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I thought about asking him for his amp, but thought it would have been too much trouble to haul out to the car.

Yeah , I've thought about how heavy Joe'd be.... :nod: plus the 28 g'tars...

Funk49er
01-14-2011, 03:35 AM
It's a video interview with Joe's guitar tech, Mark Reis. He talks about the Eagles. He comes in the video towards the middle (around 38mins in)! :)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11825330

Joe takes 28 guitars to every show... Holy shiznit! I only have 25 total!!!! LOL! I'll be getting more in the future. I'm just never gonna stop until I have the biggest guitar collection in the whole world. ;)

He talks about the Eagles tours, what Joe is like, jamming with Joe (the tech is a player himself), the "circle of fear", Joe's guitars (but I wish there would have been more info on this), and the future of music and his other acts he's worked with.

Cool!

WalshFan88
01-14-2011, 08:10 AM
To compare with the current 28 guitars, here's Joe's guitars circa 1980 (Long Run tour)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2db71qh.jpg
(http://i51.tinypic.com/2db71qh.jpg)

MikeA
01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I caught in that interview that Joe plays all 28 of those guitars in every show! My recollections are from pre-2006 during the Farewell tours and I can remember him seeming to switch between each song and on some songs like "RMW" where he would use more than one. But I know that he used that turquoise Strat more than once during the show...or maybe he had two of them with the same finish.

A VERY good interview Austin!

WalshFan88
01-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I caught in that interview that Joe plays all 28 of those guitars in every show! My recollections are from pre-2006 during the Farewell tours and I can remember him seeming to switch between each song and on some songs like "RMW" where he would use more than one. But I know that he used that turquoise Strat more than once during the show...or maybe he had two of them with the same finish.

A VERY good interview Austin!

You are right, he does switch in RMW to a different guitar. His slide guitar is in Open E tuning, but when he does the Talkbox guitar solo, he needs it to be in Standard, so he switches mid-song.

And he only has the one Turquoise Strat that he used to use constantly. It's a "mongrel", made up of different pieces. The neck is from Performance Guitar company, and the body is a Fender. But I think he's retired it. I now see him with a silver strat and a white strat. All of his Strats have those Lace Sensor "Gold" pickups in them, including the one we are talking about.

Prettymaid
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
And they are ve-r-r-ry pretty!

WalshFan88
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
And they are ve-r-r-ry pretty!

:D

I'm watching the Christchurch DVD. A lot of those guitars he has in that picture I put up of the Long Run guitars are played in this DVD. The sunburst Tele, the Goldtop Les Paul with the Bigsby (whammy bar), and a couple others.

He's had the Sunburst Tele since the HC tour when he joined. He used that guitar on the HC tour until HFO and the RRHOF induction. He seems to have retired it. I know he used a Tele on the recording of Hotel California. Since he played it on tour, it makes you wonder if it was the one he recorded his solo on...