PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Female Musician

MikeA
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Favorite Female Musician.....no time boundaries

Man, there are so many to choose from.

Stevie Nicks (great vocalist and prolific song writer)
Christine McVie (vastly underated!)
Janis Joplin (reinvented the vocal instrument!)
Grace Slick (okay, I don't care whether she was a great musician or not!)
Nancy Wilson (good guitarist, vocalist but more important in composing music)
Ann Wilson (STRONG vocalist in Heart)
Carie Underwood (okay, admitting there is little difference between Country and Rock except for the accent (quoted from Joe's Guitar Tech!)
Loretta Lynn (may not like her music but she is legendary!)
Dolly Parton (one of the most prolific songwriters ever!)
Jonie Mitchell (A founding Mother of Contemporary Music)
Mama Cass Elliot (Unbelievable talent!)
Etta James (If you know Blues you know Etta!)

decisions decisions <LOL> Prolly left out some great ones. This was off the cuff.

WalshFan88
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Stevie Nicks (Favorite Female Singer)
Nancy Wilson (Favorite Female Guitarist)
Christine McVie
Ann Wilson
Joan Jett

MikeA
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
When I "think" about Women in Rock, the first one that comes to mind to me is Janis. But I think of her more as Blues than Rock. When I think of Rock, three ladies come to mind instantly....Stevie, Nancy and Ann. Of those, I think of Stevie and Nancy as the most prominent because of their songwriting more so than their vocals, and believe me, I DEFINITELY appreciate the vocals of both of them!

Rock Music as a genre has not been kind to our Ladies. With a few exceptions, it has just not been something that has been an equal opportunity employer when it is measured in terms of "success".

I think maybe that has more to do with the acceptance of the Fans than it is any reflection of their ability and talent.

Back in the day, Men were admired for their Go To Hell Over The Top antics whether it be destruction of hotels, drugs or sexual escapades. But that same favor was not extended to promiscuous Women in the business. Janis was every bit as over the top and about all it got her was condemnation from even those who loved her as a musician. Ann and Nancy Wilson were not looked at in that light and as far as I know, were not a part of that Life in Excess camp.

A shame. Talk about a double standard!

Prettymaid
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Just off the cuff...

Karen Carpenter
Stevie Nicks
Ann Wilson
Nancy Wilson
Joan Baez
Joni Mitchell
Melanie
Carol King
Christine McVie

TimothyBFan
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Definitely a 3 way tie for me between Stevie, Ann & Nancy Wilson. Love all 3 of them and have so much respect for what they have been able to do in this men's club we call Rock n Roll!

And Mike--Etta is amazing. I've got to tell this little story. A couple months ago, I was working in the kitchen and heard my daughter come downstairs and walk past behind me with her earphones on and could here what I knew was a female voice coming from it and could tell it was very bluesy. I honestly thought it was Aretha, no big surprise there for my daughter. But when she walked back by me I could tell it wasn't. So I got her attention and asked her what she was listening to. She handed over her Ipod and it was Fool That I Am by Etta. I was so proud!! :lol: Asked her how she knew her and she said she had heard her music from the movie, Cadillac Records, and then saw that I had some of her stuff in my itunes and ended up downloading it to her ipod and really loved it. Probably not to typical for an 18 year old girl nowadays?

MikeA
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Just off the cuff...

I got a bran new pair of rollerskates, you got a bran new key.......

She's still performing away BTW. Or was the last I heard.

And Mike--Etta is amazing.

Yep Willie, she's the real deal! Walsh performed with her and it was recorded. I have it somewhere. Great stuff!

WalshFan88
01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
When I "think" about Women in Rock, the first one that comes to mind to me is Janis. But I think of her more as Blues than Rock. When I think of Rock, three ladies come to mind instantly....Stevie, Nancy and Ann. Of those, I think of Stevie and Nancy as the most prominent because of their songwriting more so than their vocals, and believe me, I DEFINITELY appreciate the vocals of both of them!

Rock Music as a genre has not been kind to our Ladies. With a few exceptions, it has just not been something that has been an equal opportunity employer when it is measured in terms of "success".

I think maybe that has more to do with the acceptance of the Fans than it is any reflection of their ability and talent.

Back in the day, Men were admired for their Go To Hell Over The Top antics whether it be destruction of hotels, drugs or sexual escapades. But that same favor was not extended to promiscuous Women in the business. Janis was every bit as over the top and about all it got her was condemnation from even those who loved her as a musician. Ann and Nancy Wilson were not looked at in that light and as far as I know, were not a part of that Life in Excess camp.

A shame. Talk about a double standard!

Definitely Mike.

Speaking of Ann Wilson, have you heard her sing Zeppelin tunes? She can really sing songs like "Black Dog" and those Zep songs really well. :)

MikeA
01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Definitely Mike.

Speaking of Ann Wilson, have you heard her sing Zeppelin tunes? She can really sing songs like "Black Dog" and those Zep songs really well. :)

Oh yeah! I sure have! Heart was heavily influenced by Zep. My favorite of the ones they have covered is "Battle Of Evermore". Everything from the soul wrenching vocals Ann to the eerie sound of Nancy's mandolin!

Brooke
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
My very favorite of all has to be Stevie Nicks. She's just awesome.

Ann & Nancy Wilson come next.

The rest would be debatable.

Scarlet Sun
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Linda Ronstadt
Spanky McFarlane
Judy Hauff
Minnie Ripperton
Karen Carpenter
Joni Mitchell
Rose Stone
Cynthia Robinson
Nico
Maureen Tucker

that's off the top of my head too

whitcap
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Off the top of my head...

Linda Ronstadt
Emmylou Harris
Christine McVie
Stevie Nicks
Carole King
Ann Wilson
Nancy Wilson

sodascouts
01-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Stevie Nicks... what more needs to be said? ;)

Seriously, though, another female vocalist I adore is Sarah McLachlan.

Prettymaid
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Oh! :doh: How could I have forgotten Linda?

MikeA
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Linda Ronstadt (absolutely!)

As I said....off the cuff and age worn memory~!

jdubfan
01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
For vocalists, my favs are: Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Bilie Holiday. When I was first becoming musical, I wanted to be Janis or Chaka Khan. And for a pop star, I think Christina Aguilera has a great voice, just don't care for the music.
Adding musicians/songwriters: Stevie, kd lang, Tina Turner, Sade, Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi.

Brooke
01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Linda Ronstadt (absolutely!)

As I said....off the cuff and age worn memory~!

Of course Linda Ronstadt! I forgot her, too Mike! I have several of her old vinyls, too.

And Emmylou. What a voice. One of the pioneers.

MikeA
01-14-2011, 06:00 PM
DANGIT! Bonnie Raitt!

I'm beginning to wish I handn't opened this thread! I think Bonnie is without doubt in MY MIND, the best female guitarist that I've ever heard!

Freypower
01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
The female musicians I have seen live are Stevie Nicks, Joan Armatrading ,Tina Turner, Chrissie Hynde, Melissa Ethridge (when she supported the Eagles in 1995) and a few Australians you wouldn't have heard of. But the fact is that none of them really rank in my favourites (sorry Soda - I like her but I can't share your real fandom). I used to think Linda Ronstadt had the best voice, but she didn't write songs, so I suppose I would rank Joni Mitchell at the top. I've got Emmylou Harris' DVD with Knopfler.

My husband loves Ann & Nancy Wilson (he feels about Nancy the way I feel about Glenn) but I'm afraid I am not a big fan,except that I agree about the versions of Black Dog & Battle of Evermore, plus Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters.

When Aretha Franklin was in her prime she really stood alone, as Ella Fitzgerald did before her (and I am sure the same is true of Billie Holiday but I have never heard her).

sodascouts
01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Melissa Ethridge (when she supported the Eagles in 1995)

Oh, I didn't realize she was ever a support act for the Eagles! Cool - I like her.

And I thought of another great female vocalist: Whitney Houston.

MikeA
01-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I was on a rabbit chase on FB the other day and saw a mention of Anne Murray. I haven't heard that name in 20 years.

tequila girl
01-16-2011, 04:19 PM
I've never really been that into female vocalists.....but the ones I did/do like are:

Linda Ronstadt
Stevie Nicks
Carole King
Elkie Brooks
Dusty Springfield

eta

I forgot Buffy Sainte-Marie! :shock: I saw Soldier Blue in about 1970 (I think) and this song really got to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIdYs9vo81U

i'm sure there are others that have been lost....along with my memory!

Freypower
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I was on a rabbit chase on FB the other day and saw a mention of Anne Murray. I haven't heard that name in 20 years.

I have a Greatest Hits CD of hers. She did a really good version of the Beatles' You Won't See Me.

I can't believe I didn't mention Kate Bush. She is very talented.

Brooke
01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a Christmas CD of Anne Murray and I love it. She's great.

Troubadour
01-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Linda Ronstadt
Beth Hart
Annie Lennox
Joan Armatrading
Mavis Staples
Aretha Franklin
Janis Joplin
Joan Baez
Eva Cassidy
Stevie Nicks
Christine McVie
Emmylou Harris
Tammy Wynette
Dolly Parton
Lizz Wright
Debbie Harry
Norah Jones
Alison Moyet
Pink

Prettymaid
01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Ah! I forgot Norah Jones!

MikeA
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Linda Ronstadt
Beth Hart
Annie Lennox
Joan Armatrading
Mavis Staples
Aretha Franklin
Janis Joplin
Joan Baez
Eva Cassidy
Stevie Nicks
Christine McVie
Emmylou Harris
Tammy Wynette
Dolly Parton
Lizz Wright
Debbie Harry
Norah Jones
Alison Moyet
Pink

These are ALL your favorites? How do you have time to listen to Eagles?
:thud:

Troubadour
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
LOL. Nah - they're all female musicians I like. The top three are my absolute favourites. :)

Annabel
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I like

Rumer (she's gonna be big !!! I hope ;))
Anita Baker
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Natalie Cole
Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Carly Simon
Patsy Cline
Annie Lennox
Aretha Franklin
Eva Cassidy
Norah Jones
Alison Moyet
Also seem too have a fair bit Madonna in my cd collection so must have liked her somewhen :laugh:

MikeA
01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
LOL. Nah - they're all female musicians I like. The top three are my absolute favourites. :)

Whew! :bow: I was thinking that you must be inexhaustible and do nothing but listen to music 28 hours a day....was wondering when you slept!

sodascouts
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Some more female musicians that I like enough to have bought at least one album (or albums of bands they were in):

Alanis Morissette
Amy Grant
Amy Lee
Annie Lennox
Aretha Franklin
Carole King
Celine Dion
Christine McVie
Fergie
Gwen Stefani
Janis Joplin
Karla Bonoff
Linda Ronstadt
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Nancy Wilson
Natalie Merchant
Pat Benetar
Pink
Sheryl Crow
Taylor Dayne
Toni Braxton
Tori Amos
Tracy Chapman

Some all-girl groups I like:
En Vogue
The Bangles
The Go-Gos
The Indigo Girls
Salt'n'Pepa
TLC

Eve
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I just packed up a bunch of cds and albums to take to the Goodwill, Amy Grant was among them.

I can listen to Celine Dion as long as I don't have to look at her. She and some others generate this huge "Ick" feeling in me when I watch them.

I have to add Amy Winehouse, Adele, Niko Case, and Lucinda Williams.
Girl bands, I love Antigone Rising.

sodascouts
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I just packed up a bunch of cds and albums to take to the Goodwill, Amy Grant was among them.

I'm astonished you ever even had an Amy Grant album in your possession.

Eve
01-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I wish I could blame that on somebody else in the household. But I was the one with the compact disc club membership.

Warrant, Poison and Meatloaf took a ride with Amy to the Goodwill.

sodascouts
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Perhaps a "least favorite" thread would be more your style.

MikeA
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Eve! Say it isn't so! You threw Meatloaf to the dogs? "Paradise By the Dashboard Lights?"

Gotta admit I have a couple of his albums but I can't remember the last time I listened to anything by him. Hell of a voice though.

Brooke
01-17-2011, 10:36 PM
And Poison? Eve! They rock! I love Brett, bad boy that he is!

EaglesFanatic
01-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Stevie Nicks
Christine McVie
Janis Joplin
Ann Wilson
Nancy Wilson
Carole King
Pat Benetar
KT Tunstall

MikeA
01-23-2011, 09:08 AM
And Poison? Eve! They rock! I love Brett, bad boy that he is!

Michaels was at the Barret-Jackson Auction in Phoenix helping to raise money for Children's Diabetes. He is a Diabetic himself. At the end of the auction, it was noted that he goes in for surgery either Today or Monday though they didn't say what it was for.

GlennLover
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Stevie Nicks
Christine McVie
Janis Joplin
Ann Wilson
Nancy Wilson
Carole King
Pat Benetar
KT Tunstall

Your list brings back memories (and PEW). I saw KT Tunstall perform at the same festival where I saw the Eagles in 2008. :D

EaglesFanatic
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
That's awesome GL! Was she good live?

sodascouts
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Michaels was at the Barret-Jackson Auction in Phoenix helping to raise money for Children's Diabetes. He is a Diabetic himself. At the end of the auction, it was noted that he goes in for surgery either Today or Monday though they didn't say what it was for.

Oh! Well, I wish him all the best. He has certainly been through a lot over the past year or so!

SteveJoburg
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I was searching the 'Singing for the Sake Of the Song' threads to see if I could find one for a specific band (I haven't, but I'll come back to that) and found several great threads I wanted to comment on, if I may...

This one intrigued me... As a rule, I listen to far more male vocalists or artists, for no specific reason. The female vocalists/muso's I do listen to don't make a very long list as I really need to love the songs they write and perform.

When I consider 'favourite' or 'best' artists, I take into account albums or songs I still listen to regularly, be it newly released music or much older. I consider Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles, for example, a truly classic album but I don't play it every couple of weeks.

So on that basis, in no particular order:

Tracy Chapman (Had the honour of seeing her live twice in 1996, and I completely fell in love with her... She ended the one concert alone on stage with no instruments, singing Amazing Grace... she brought me to tears it was so beautiful... She released an album called Where You Live in 2005 which is a regular Sunday album for us... It's simply magnificent)

Shawn Colvin (I love her voice and that she doesn't write the usual 'love' songs. Not a huge fan of her last album though, unfortunately)

Bonnie Raitt (Great songwriter, great guitarist, does the definitive version of I Can't Make You Love Me)

Alison Krauss (One of the best voices in the world today, IMO. And it has to be said... She's VERY easy on the eye...)

Norah Jones (Has really started coming into her own lately, and again, great musician and vocalist)

Karen Zoid (Not a name I expect many of you to be familiar with, a South African singer-songwriter who is just incredible on stage. She is one of the few artists who sings in both English and Afrikaans whom I listen to regularly)

Zolani Mahola (Lead vocalist of a South African band named Freshlyground. She has a natural, beautiful voice and the music is so fresh and uplifting)

Here is a clip of Karen with Zolani doing an acoustic cover of Leonard Cohen's Suzanne... Wish I had gone to this gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAcyVl1YSQ

*EDIT* Can't believe I left out Edie Brickell... Another of my favourite female voices and song writers... A song she released a few years back called What Would You Do is my wife's favourite song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Td3YLtmpQ

Outlawman13
07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I have two favvies and they are: Lisa Kelly and Lorena McKennett. I will have to say that they have a very amazing range in their voices and I find them fascinating. Their songs are simply incredible!!! I adore both of them.

Lisa
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
How about Miss Peggy Lee?