PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2011

TimothyBFan
01-20-2011, 08:12 AM
I admit I watched it last night for one reason only and you all know what that tall, great looking reason was. How do you all think Steve & Jennifer did as judges? I think Steve was fantastic but Jennifer was just waaaay to nice to be a good judge. To afraid to hurt someone's feelings. But some of those people might need their feelings hurt if they actually thinking they have any talent. Geesh!! It hurt to watch some of them.

And did I say Steve looked fabulous?!?!? YUM!

MikeA
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
I will be watching it some later in the season, but last night there was a much more important event taking place on TV for ME. The Barret-Jackson Automobile Auction! 40 hours televised in HD through Sunday on the "Speed Channel".

The "real" auction doesn't start until Saturday...maybe late Friday. The first couple of days, just the cheap $40,000 cars are auctioned off <LOL> A 2011 Mustang was auctioned last night that brought $90,000...special car going for a charity but still amazing. That thing had a supercharged 5 liter 750hp engine and was black and beautiful! Haven't seen any of my "dream cars" yet...the little Shelby Cobras....not the Shelby Mustangs which are pretty amazing themselves, but rather the little two-seaters that have no roof...just about a million pounds of torque pushed by a 427 cubic inch monster racing engine!

After watching these Muscle Cars go across the block, the first episodes of AI just don't grab my attention that much. Now if Walsh had been a judge (can we say "Cold Day In Hell"?) I might have flipped over during commercials.

Prettymaid
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I haven't started watching yet either. I don't like this part of the show as much as later on, but I'm sure I'll watch some of the audition shows. Maybe somebody can find a clip from last night?

Prettymaid
01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Here's a clip I found of the last audition of the day. Willie you're right - Steven looks hot! Dang! How am I going to be able to concentrate on any of the contestants with him around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Aoke7aX0Y

Brooke
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I watched a little bit of it and I thought Steven was great and J Lo was too nice, too.

And yeah, I thought Steven looked fantastic! :thumbsup:

As far as the talent, I didn't see much from the bits I saw.

sodascouts
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I watched most if it (got home a little late).

Since I think since J-Lo is supposed to be the new Paula, I didn't think she was too nice. That's her role. The guys can crush the hopes and dreams of the contestants without her.

I thought Steve was going to be the Simon replacement - ie, providing the snark - but from what I saw, the only thing he said was "I think your voice is real beautiful" to the good ones and then laugh at the bad ones. He looks cool, but not hot (to me). Still, he's 1000x times better than Ellen and Kara combined!

It appears Randy is supposed to be the snarky / cruel one now, but from what I saw, he didn't pull it off very well. There was one segment where he tells a contestant something along the lines of "I think you're definitely going to Hollywood... NOT" which was trying to be Simon-esque but failing, IMHO.

The problem with these opening shows are that half the time we're supposed to be laughing at people, and I don't really enjoy it (even though many are obviously there to get laughs, some of those kids actually did think they could sing). I don't really get into the show until they start narrowing them down.

sodascouts
01-20-2011, 10:56 PM
OK - watched this show in full and it was definitely better than last night. Some comments:

Jordan, the piano teacher, was so cute! Loved his "Over the Rainbow"!

Sarah, the blonde girl with the black glasses who did "Make You Feel My Love", has a very rich voice. Of course, she's no TBS... ;)

Jacquelyn, the girl with the photo of Randy from high school - wow! "I'll Stand By You" is so hard to sing, but she hit it! You go, girl!

Jovany, the dude that took off his shirt to show his abs off to J-Lo - oh my gosh, so obnoxious! He does have a strong voice but a little too operatic sounding for an "American Idol" if you ask me. Right now, Jovany's not my guy.

Brett, the self-described "different" guy with the hair - at first I thought he was kind of freaky, but I liked that whole "be yourself" bit - especially when you see how white-bread the rest of his family is. Then that voice - DANG! Good!

Jaycee, the heavyset 15-yr-old, has a great voice. I was astonished by his "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and I like him. However, the tweens of America are too shallow to allow him to advance very far, methinks.

Paris, the one with the hearing-impaired daughter, is very strong and admirable. She has a great voice. However, sometimes I worry when they spend so much time on an emotional backstory right off the bat - it might cause a backlash like with Danny Gokey. We'll see.

Woodstock
01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
OK - for the first time ever I'm gonna watch American Idol from start to finish.....and the reason......STEVEN TYLER!!!! He is such a hoot. I just realized I've been an Aerosmith fan since I was 16 and I'm 50 now. But of course I've been an Eagles fan longer....since I was 12! Steven Tyler provides some much needed entertainment on TV. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Cool! He certainly looks like he's going to spice up the joint. And, unlike some of his predecessors on the judges' panel, he understands rock'n'roll!

Prettymaid
01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Hubby asked me last night if we were going to watch AI. "And miss Bill O'Reilly?", I said. :unimpressed:

"Well, I saw that Steven Tyler on Fox & Friends this morning and he's a pretty cool guy."

"And he's HOT!" I said.

So we watched.

I'm not really into rating the contestants yet. I was paying most attention to Steven, anyway. When he showed his stomach - :drool:

The biggest difference I noticed was the lack of judging the bad contestants. Sure they did a little, but for the most part they just showed short clips of the bad ones and left the judging in for the good ones. After all, Simon is no longer around to berate the lacking hopefuls. I'm sure AI feels that it's not that entertaining anymore.

TimothyBFan
01-21-2011, 09:17 AM
I agree Soda-I think Steve is going to bring people in that have never watched the show before, like me & Woodstock. I watched again last night (loved the version of Make Me Feel My Love btw) but don't know how much I will see. I'm hoping that if I don't see it when it airs, I can get it on On Demand or somewhere on the internet. Hubby wanted to see Steve do his thing last night but doesn't really like the show...so we'll see how long he tolerates it being watched. :hilarious:

My favorite so far.... LOVE LOVE LOVE Brett! That boy can ROCK. Bohemian Rhapsody can not be the easiest song to sing and he nailed it!

The contestants they let go through last night were all very well deserving I think. More so than the first night, IMO.

TimothyBFan
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Here's Brett for anyone that missed him. What a sweetie!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-SsAvAePZs

Brooke
01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I watched most of it last night too and liked the ones that made it. I really didn't get them showing the Brett story, although I thought his singing was excellent. It seems to me that that will cause the voters to feel sorry for him and vote for him. I've never watched this part of the show before. Do they always pick favorites like that by showing their sad stories? Does that give them the right to move forward? I think it gives them an edge.

ETA: I think Steven looked great too. He's really not that good looking, but there's just something about him that's really sexy.

sodascouts
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
I think that "backstory" thing is pretty commonplace. I guess they do it to make it more interesting but it does seem to give people who they focus upon an unfair advantage once they get to the voting portion. "Oh - that's the one with the little girl who's deaf - I'll put her through!"

That said, sometimes those backfire - with Danny Gokey, for instance, they focused on the recent passing of his wife and before you know it, there was a backlash against the poor guy for "using" his wife's death as a means to get advanced through "pity votes."

Prettymaid
01-21-2011, 09:27 PM
ETA: I think Steven looked great too. He's really not that good looking, but there's just something about him that's really sexy.

Yes Brooke! That's it exactly!

Brooke
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, the young girl that begged them to keep her was a bit much I thought. I know they only kept her because they felt sorry for her. She did have a good voice, but one of the judges said they didn't think she was ready and I agreed.

That first guy with the deep voice sounded just like Josh Turner (he sang his song). I liked him, too.

sodascouts
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
I missed the show when it aired but watched it on MJ's Big Blog (http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-%E2%80%93-milwaukee-recap-live-blog.htm). To save time I skipped all the people who didn't make it and the "background" pieces so I don't know all their sob stories. My thoughts:

Scott ("Your Man") - wow, he is 16? He's got that country twang down and already sounds like a pro. I like him.

Emma ("True Colors") - another girl who doesn't look her age. She has adopted Cyndi Lauper's tone and vocal nuances - I wonder what she'll sound like on a non-Cyndi song? That begging display was pretty pathetic and Randy frankly telling her he didn't think she would make it and STILL letting her through was so lame! They must have had some reason to put her through ratings-wise because they see a lot of criers and beggars in there. I think it must be their desire to appeal to the younger demographic (look at how many very young contestants they're letting through). She would appeal to tweens with low self-esteem.

Naimi ("For All We Know") - what a strong voice and I like her look, too. BTW, all Tyler fans, take note: He prefers to be called "Steven"!

Jerome ("Let's Get It On") - eh, I don't know about this one. When he's good, he's good, but there were points where his voice was kind of shrill. I certainly wasn't as impressed as the judges.

Thia ("Chasing Pavements") - another mature 15-year-old who gets through. Yep, it's demographic marketing. Has to be. That said, I like her voice - but once again, it copies the nuances of the original singer (in this case, Adele). I don't think a lot these kids have their own sound and it's going to be a problem when they try to do other songs, I think. We'll see. In fact, since the first guy Scott sounds so much like Josh Turner, he probably has the same problem.

Molly ("Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay") - Harvard graduate, White House intern... girl, go back to your promising future that does not involve public humiliation! I like her voice but it's not the kind that wins AI, especially since you can already hear the tremble of nerves in it.

Haley ("Oh Darlin'") - Her voice has spirit and she has great range but it doesn't really seem distinctive to me. Every season has a girl with a voice like that. We'll see if a more distinctive sound emerges as the contest progresses.

Tiwan ("Twisting the Night Away") - Like Haley, nice voice but not distinctive - one we've heard before in past seasons. Again, we'll see.

Steve ("The Man Who Can't Be Moved") - this mature accountant will be competing against people born in 1996. He's 27, but looks older than that! Anyway, his voice IS different from your typical AI contestant. I like him, but I doubt he'll make it far.

Scott ("Dreamin'") - ok, Steven Tyler needs to stop singing before or after every contestant. I love his voice and he's cool, but it's not about him. I hope he doesn't do that while judging during the season! Now to Scott. Good voice - again, I wasn't as impressed as the judges - but like JLo, I like that he puts his body into it. The Idol contestants that stand up there stiff and trembling are not as appealing in that regard.

Alyson ("Dream On") - Remember how I said Steven was making it too much about him? His "you can could be one of my..." then going to hug her and saying "It gets better..." Woah there - what if she sucks? 'Cause he is talking about her auditioning and not something else, right? lol Luckily, she does not suck, and I like her. She does have her own sound and it's a good one. I don't blame Steven for singing at the end, though. She was doing Aerosmith! It was very cute. She didn't sound "Pitchy" to me... ah well. Having her hero Steven go last when he usually goes first and having him be the "deciding vote" seemed like a lot of fake contrived drama... but maybe I'm just cynical. I do have to say, though, if she is truly as hardcore of a fan of Steven Tyler and Aerosmith as she claims, she held it together well. I can't imagine auditioning for something like this with a member of the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac on the panel.

Chris ("Break Even") - I tried to skip his sob story, but then they wheeled out the brain-damaged girlfriend at the end of his audition (!!!) Woah. Could that be more exploitative? Sorry. I didn't think he had a strong voice despite the fact that he can hit high notes. Shoot, that poor girl.

sodascouts
01-28-2011, 12:07 AM
And from last night to tonight in Nashville!

Chelsee and Rob ("To Love Somebody") - hmmm, exes auditioning together? It's the Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of American Idol... only not nearly as awesome. Watch them get put on a team together in Hollywood, get in a fight, and create some Major! TV! Drama! lol Still, I did like their vocals.

Stormi Henley ("Father Can You Hear Me") - any relation? lol They were a bit heavy on the 'glam' shots for the former Miss Tennessee! I liked her voice well enough, but she didn't floor me.

Adrienne ("American Honey") - I wasn't moved to tears by any means, and I don't find her voice memorable. Certainly she wasn't bad, but she didn't stand out.

Jackie ("Until You Come Back to Me") - ooh, I like her voice.... but she got a little shrill at the end... eh, it's OK, I still like her. Woah, wait a sec... that gray-haired dude is her BOYFRIEND? He looks like he has three decades on her! Ick!

Paul ("Maggie May") - I like this guy - very distinctive voice - and they barely gave him ten freaking seconds, much less a prepackaged "film the guy at home with his sick grandma" bit. Seems really unfair but that's the way AI rolls.

Jimmie ("Sunday Morning") - eh. Good voice, not a standout.

Danny ("Papa was a Rolling Stone") - I don't know what to think of this guy's voice because I couldn't hear him sing over the judges in his super-short bit. Come on, judgery!! Guess we'll have to take their word for it that he's "so good."

Matt ("You Raise Me Up") - He did a Josh Groban song - successfully! Good job! But that outfit... come on. This isn't the Beverly Hillbillies.

Lauren ("Like We Never Loved At All") -And this 15-year old has a cousin with brain cancer. I feel bad for their hardships but it's just so blatantly manipulative. At least she didn't have to be wheeled out like the girl last night. I blame the producers, not these kids. The producers encourage them to tell their sob story for the drama aspect, and these desperate kids don't want to say no. That said, her voice was strong and I liked her. (Randy: "We gotta give mad props to Holly." Seriously Randy? You are too old to use the phrase "mad props".)

Next up... Austin. Is that the last audition city? I hope so. It's time to start winnowing all these people down.

Brooke
03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
The show was interesting last night. My picks for the night were:

Brett-wild red hair-I thought he sounded great, but all the hair tossing was a bit much.

Scotty-that deep voice just gets me!

Paul-loved his version of Maggie Mae and thought he was really cute and different.

Jacob-wonderful Luther Vandross song.

Casey-sexy!

Molly
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I can't believe how much Tim Halperin resembles my son. Sadly, I don't think Tim will be making the top 12.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/TimHalperin2x-inset-community.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/TomandAudra.jpg

Brooke
03-02-2011, 05:08 PM
What a cutie your son is, Molly!

Prettymaid
03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Wow Molly, your son does look like that contestant!

I miised most of the show. I only got to see Casey. He's very entertaining, but sexy?... uh, no. :nope:

From what I've seen in past shows I do like Paul. I'm anxious to see what he'll bring every week.

sodascouts
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Ooh, good lookin' son there! ;)

Of tonight's contestants, I liked the last ones the best. I was really surprised they didn't like Julie ("Breakaway") - she sounded good to me. I definitely think she sounded better than some of the first ones who they gushed over such as Ta-Tynisa ("Only Girl in the World"). Thia ("Out Here on My Own") was also good. I really liked Lauren ("Turn on the Radio") - lots of fun! I don't know if the very last girl Pia deserved a standing ovation for her rendition of "I'll Stand By You", but she definitely did a great job!

Prettymaid
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm sure it must be totally different hearing and seeing these performances live. Not sure about the standing O, but Pia did a great job holding those notes!

I think my favorite sounding vocal was Lauren Turner's. I'll admit that I didn't know most of the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnf3hYjjXA

Stars
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I really enjoyed Pia and Thia last night. As for the guys, Brett is my favorite-Brooke, I know you like him too. I got a big kick out of his hair tossing, and I do like his singing a lot too-I like his personality!:hilarious:

Brooke
03-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I was a little stumped on the girls last night. None of them really stood out to me like the guys did the night before.

I liked the last one, Pia, but I think the judges talked me in to how wonderful she was. Very pretty for sure.

Lauren sounded good, but I thought her presentation was too hesitant.

:shrug:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Well, of course, since I don't watch Idol - I have nothing to contribute here. Just thought you all may want to know that. :lol:

But I do want to say that I love that photo of Tom, Molly. He is quite a looker, and I do see a resemblance to the Idol guy. Now - I need to stop being a perv and quit oogling over these younguns! :wink:

Prettymaid
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
No, Dreamer, you need to start watching Idol! C'mon, you don't have anything better to do with your time! :lol:

sodascouts
03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
I went over to MJ's Big Blog (http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-top-12-boys-performance-recap.htm) to watch the guys' performances. My thoughts:

Clint ("Superstition") - smooth, rich voice. Liked it, although he was a bit screamy at the end.

Jovany ("I'll Be") - I like the little catches in his voice and he hit the hard notes with strength. Enjoyable.

Jordan ("OMG") - Eh. I didn't really like his tone on the extreme ends of his range (the very lowest and highest notes). Plus, the song wasn't interesting and didn't really show him to best advantage.

Tim ("Come on Over") - Seemed hesitant. You could hear the nerves in his voice in the beginning, although he gained strength as he went. By the end, I was enjoying it.

Brett ("Light My Fire") - Great range, yet I still found my attention wandering. The hair tossing was over the top, contrived looking rather than attractively natural, and distracting. I'm not feelin' Mr. Brett.

James ("You Got Another Thing Comin'") - He rocked it with power! Loved it!

Robbie ("Arms of an Angel") - Uh oh. His nerves were so palpable that I could feel them, and it made ME nervous! He wasn't comfortable and it was distracting to me, plus the notes weren't all there. And did anyone else think he was a little bit ahead of the music?

Scott ("Letters from Home") - His voice is flawless but I didn't feel like the song really challenged him, and that made it boring for me.

Stefano ("Just the Way You Are") - Good tone and I thought it was great!

Paul ("Maggie May") - I like his voice for the most part even though a couple notes seemed a bit ragged. Not the best performance of the night but I like this guy.

Jacob ("House Is Not a Home") - He's got that great R&B voice but I'm not as into him as the judges seem to be. Still, there's no arguing that his voice is wonderfully rich... it's just not that distinctive from the other great R&B singers out there.

Casey ("I Put a Spell On You") - Oh no, it's a song I've heard Don Henley sing and I can't help but compare him unfavorably. Still, once I got over that hurdle, lol, I thought it was pretty good.

Faves: James, Jovany, Stefano

PS None of these guys seem sexy to me, I'm afraid, although many are cute. Guess I'm just getting too old to find these kids hot!

Molly
03-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, of course, since I don't watch Idol - I have nothing to contribute here. Just thought you all may want to know that. :lol:

But I do want to say that I love that photo of Tom, Molly. He is quite a looker, and I do see a resemblance to the Idol guy. Now - I need to stop being a perv and quit oogling over these younguns! :wink:

Thanks for the compliments. I think he's a cutie, but that's my job. Audra's photo doesn't do her justice. She has gorgeous long red hair that she had to pull back that day (she was a bridesmaid -bride's orders).

When I called out to my family to come and see the guy on Idol who resembled Tom, Peter called in from the other room..."Why is Adam Lambert back on again this season?" Ahhhh. brotherly love.

I think Pia and James are my early front runners.

sodascouts
03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Any thoughts on the new judges? I adore JLo and Steven Tyler, but they were offering almost no real constructive criticism. There were a couple sucky performances that they praised where I was like "Wha?? Tell that kid the truth!" So Randy is the "tough" one now? That's a switch! And Steven needs to find more adjectives to describe performances besides "Beautiful"! Is that going to be his version of Randy's "Yo, yo, dawg!" ;)

But I'm sure there's a learning curve and besides, like I said, I just love JLo no matter what. She can sing, she can dance, she can act, she's stunningly gorgeous... it's enough to make a girl sick. ;)

MikeA
03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, J-Lo, Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock and What's-Her-Name...Julia Roberts!

Anyway, Verna just doesn't understand why I like those chick-flicks! :nahnah:

sodascouts
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, Jovany didn't make it, but my other guy picks did (although Stefano barely scraped by and I don't expect him to go much further).

I also just realized, watching tonight, that I really didn't want Paul to go home. He replaces Jovany in my top three!

I was really surprised Brett went without even a wild card sing-off chance. I thought his "quirky" hair-tossing ways would attract a lot of fans. Since I wasn't one of them, though, it didn't upset me too much!

Speaking of wild cards, Ashthon really nailed "I'm Not Going" didn't she? She totally deserved a wild card spot. She now has a new fan in me. I also liked Naima's "For All We Know."

All my favorite girls - Pia, Thia, and Lauren - got through. Overall, a good night!

Brooke
03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow, I didn't realize they would cut so many on one night! I was thinking that this would take forever with 24 though. Good! I didn't get to see last night's show but am glad some of my picks made it. Namely Paul and Pia. I'll have to see if I get some time to watch a few of these today.

I really like Steven and JLo, but I also think they need to do a little more critiquing and not love everyone. It's weird seeing Randy be the meaner one of the bunch.

sodascouts
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
OK, my thoughts:

First off - wow, J-Lo needs to chill on the lipstick! I think she's gorgeous but when I saw her tonight, that garish lipstick made me go "Ouch."

And while Steve Tyler's critiques were rather lacking, I couldn't help but notice how at his worst he is still 500,000x better than Ellen and Kara combined.

Lauren ("Any Man of Mine") - I thought she was fun and entertaining. I don't know why the judges were so hard on her. The background singers were a little too prominent and she didn't hit all the notes perfectly, but I enjoyed it.

Casey ("With A Little Help from My Friends") - This didn't do anything for me, despite the judgery's claims that he was making everyone "feel" his "plethora of passion" (you know Tyler was using a thesaurus for that, lol). In fact, despite the fact that he seems like a nice guy, I didn't enjoy his performance and didn't get the judges gushing. And ugh, I hate it when they breaking out a freaking choir. This is about the contestant. BTW I missed his opening bit so I was like "Oh my gosh, your idol is RINGO STARR?!" but then I realized he was doing it in honor of Joe Cocker and I felt a bit better. lol I mean, Ringo's cool and all, but for him to be the idol of a singer... well... not so much.

Ashthon ("When You Tell Me That You Loved Me") - she did fine, although some notes were weak and it seemed a bit boring. Overall, not bad.

Paul ("Come Pick Me Up") - Oh my gosh. I like Paul, but that was cringe-worthy. He was missing notes all over the place and his "dancing" was a joke. He looked like he was spazzing out. I couldn't believe how kind the judges were to him. I bet Simon would've ripped him apart. That said, I do like the guy.... he just sucked tonight (IMHO).

Pia ("All By Myself") - when I heard her song choice, I immediately thought that it took a lot of guts to pick a song that was infamously hard to sing. Very few could pull that off. She did. Yeah, it wasn't pristine, but it was really, really good. I'm on Team Pia for now!

James ("Maybe I'm Amazed") - I love James! He's great! There were a couple iffy moments but he hit it when it counted and I was surprised that he could go from those high notes to that ending vulnerable line so effectively. He did a great play to the camera on that last line too. He's my fave guy right now.

Haley ("Blue") - very beautiful, very sexy, very sultry... but kind of boring.

Jacob ("I Believe I Can Fly") - this guy has a great voice but wow, he really blew this song! There were points when I was cringing. And uh-oh, the lame choir is back! Sorry, Jacob, but FAIL.

Thia ("Smile") - Thia breaks my heat because she is obviously so insecure. This is not the place for her and the sooner she leaves the better. "Smile" was decent - although did you guys hear her refer to Charlie Chaplin as "Charlie Chapman"? She didn't know who the guy was. lol! I know she's just 15 but c'mon. Her voice was pretty but I didn't hear much emotion in her performance. The song is really full of pathos and her voice didn't convey it. She has a great voice - in fact, last week, I thought her voice was one of the best - but I'm beginning to see that she's not going to be able to pull off intense, mature songs.

Stefano ("Lately") - I've liked Stefano but he started off pretty rocky in this one. However, he improved as he went and was really working it at the end. Since I've never heard the original, I didn't realize he was changing it up. It sounded great, though, so he must have been doing something right.

Karen ("I Could Fall in Love") - shoot. I like Karen and I wanted her to do well, but that song wasn't happening for her. Her voice was not shown to best advantage, that's for sure. She wasn't on her game and I think it will cost her.

Scotty ("The River") - this guy has a great voice... but limited range. He's a one-trick pony. When he's in his element, he shines. Ask him to stretch and he's going to crack. That's the impression I get. Notice how the higher notes weren't really there. I like the kid and I think he could have a great career as a country singer as long as he makes sure none of the songs require a great deal of range.... but I'm not sure he's got the vocal chops to be the next "American Idol." Of course, in the end, the record contract's a heck of a lot more valuable than winning AI. Ask million-selling 4th place contestant Chris Daughtry and the guy who won AI that season - what's his name again? - Ah, yes, Taylor Hicks.

Naima ("Umbrella") - well, that was... interesting. "Umbrella" is a pretty easy song to sing but she still managed to miss notes because she was busy dancing. Ironically, though, that dancing and the rap bit were so entertaining that I think it'll be enough to get her through. Singer? Eh. Entertainer? Working it! I see now why Rihanna is her idol - that's the way Rihanna rolls, too. Dance fast enough and they won't notice you can't sing.

Shout out to Don Was - I saw him playing with Glenn and Deacon at the House of Blues last year!

Shout out to Jimmy Iovine - Stevie Nicks' ex-producer and ex-boyfriend, who you can see playing drums on her Bella Donna Live 1981 show. Oh yeah, and he's a pretty good producer, too. ;)

My top three: Pia, James, and Lauren (distant third)

My bottom three: Karen, Thia, and Jacob (honestly Paul deserves to be here but I like the guy and want him to stay)

Who's Gone: Karen.

Prettymaid
03-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Watching last night, I was still bummed that MY Lauren was gone. But that's how it goes. I have to get ready for work now, so I'll just touch on what Soda said...

I agree about Jennifer's lipstick! I saw her do bright red on another recent show and thought the same thing. Don't like it at all!

I'm not on the Casey train either. I don't hate the guy but so far I'm not feelin' him.

Paul - I totally disagree with Soda on this one. Paul is my current favorite, so there's a little bias there already but I thought his dancing was quirky and endearing! I loved to watch him move. I didn't know the song, but I just love his voice. And he's so cute! ETA: When Ryan was imitating his moves I was laughing so hard I was crying!

Now that the other Lauren is gone I guess I'm watching Pia closely. Her voice amazes me - she didn't miss a note and it seems so effortless.

James - He's doing my favorite style of music and he's doing a great job, so it's easy to root for him.

Jacob - I thought he was great - maybe a little over the top, but as he said after his performance, he did give it his all. He always does!

Top three - Paul, Pia and James

Bottom three - Lauren, Stefano and Karen

Who's gone - Karen

Brooke
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's my notes from last night's show.

I agree about JLo's lipstick, too! She's so pretty tho.

Lauren-I thought her vocals were good, but she was too calm for the song and needed to rev it up or put some kicka#* in it as Steven said!

Casey-I really loved the songs he's done so far, but I wasn't as 'passionate' about it as the judges were. I think he needs to lose the beard.

Ashton-Ok, her hair reminds me of Diana Ross, but the song....not so much.

Paul-I didn't know the song, but I love his quirkiness and thought he did ok. After last week's, I expected more, but I still really like his voice and cute smile.

Pia-Quoting Steven-beautiful! Beautiful girl, too!

James-I really like this guy. I thought his voice was amazing and he needs to keep those pretty baby blue eyes open more.

Haley-I thought she was really good, but there's something I don't like about her. :hmm:

Jacob-He really does have a beautiful voice, but it was a bit boring for me.

Thea-Very pretty, but I was bored here, too.

Stefano-Very good, but......no excitement.

Karen-I was afraid she was going to lose it at the end, but she held on. It was ok.

Scotty-He's a great country singer, but I'm afraid that's it.

Niema-I really liked it! She did something really different and made me like her.

Top three-Pia, James and Paul

Bottom three-Thea, Stefano, and Karen

Gone-Thea She's just too young.

sodascouts
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
First off, I gotta say I found it amusing that P-Diddy was singing about triumphing over exes when J-Lo, who is one of those exes, was sitting right there.... clapping and smiling. You show him, girl! ;) But I guess they must get along pretty well because he's going to be a guest judge. Still, it made me laugh.

Well, Ashthon was a surprise boot - for us at least! Last week she made me a fan but this week it's goodbye. Ah well, such is the way of AI! She had to know that there was no way they were going to use their save on her. At least I no longer have to keep reminding myself to put that extra "h" in her name when I write these posts (I will never understand parents who curse their kids with a bizarrely-spelled name - you know, like Stueart lol).

Ryan is back to his old tricks messing with heads but hey, we've come to expect that. It's part of the "drama." Still, when he pretended to take pity on Lauren (clearly broken from last night as she called her performance "bad" while crying) - "I'm not going to drag this out" and then proceeded to mess with her head some more.... "Unfortunately....you're safe!" Nice, Ryan. Real nice.

As far as Casey - the bleeding stomach ulcer that put him in the hospital not once but twice this early in the competition is a chronic condition. It's aggravated by stress. I hate to say it, but Casey may have to be disqualified. If he is, will they bring back Ashthon? That would almost be cruel, as it's obvious she's not going to win no matter what. Maybe they could have a week where no one goes home - but not tell anybody until the very end of results night so there's a dramatic "save" without using the official save.

Or maybe Casey will be just fine and back in the game and all of that speculation is moot. I wish him a speedy recovery. He may not be my favorite by a long shot, but it would be awful for him to lose out because of a health issue.

Oh, and I almost forgot - they were really pushing Haley to do a Stevie Nicks song tonight, weren't they? They even said she looked like her (if telling Haley she looks like Stevie Nicks makes her dress up in shawls and platform boots next week, I will call in a vote for that alone :lol: ) Anyway, I imagine she'll take their advice... which can either be terrific (like Didi doing Rhiannon last year) or absolutely awful (like Nikki doing Edge of Seventeen the first year). I've got my fingers crossed!

ETA: It just occurred to me that maybe they're pushing so hard for Haley to do a Stevie song because, as I mentioned earlier, Jimmy Iovine produced Stevie's first album Bella Donna, and it would add an extra element of cool for someone to do Stevie this season with his guidance. I bet no one mentions how intimately Stevie worked with Mr. Iovine, though. ;) But maybe Jimmy could talk Stevie into appearing... if that should happen, I will not only call in a vote for Haley, I will be hitting "redial"!

MikeA
03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
When you posted that about "pushing so hard for Haley to do a Stevie song", it reminded me of something that happened on Rock Star Supernova.

The band members or producers or someone, presented each of the aspiring artists with a guitar that matched their personalities. Those ranged from Gibson Acoustics to Gibby Les Pauls...Explorers, ES-335's...a small (or not so small fortune in instruments). The next show, those who played did so with their new gifts.

The judges (the band) made a comment after a couple of performances: "Y'all are Rock Stars! But not ONE of you has thrown your guitar or hammered them into the stage!" After that comment, the remaining contestants went into a very reluctant act of doing the Stones or Who thing. One of them carefully removed the guitar from his strap, gently laid it on the floor and then slid it off stage left <LOL>

All but Dilana. When she was through, she took the axe off and carefully placed it in the stand designed for it. She did that with an attitude of "I will not be molded!" Still love her for that.

Prettymaid
03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Wow, I didn't know about all that stuff with Casey. That's what I get for tuning in the last ten minutes! :shy:

I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy this season or not. There are several who still have to go before it gets good for me.

Troubadour
03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I only caught a bit of last night's show, but I'm going to try to watch it all from now on. I LOVE Scotty's voice. He's got such a gorgeous, rich tone - he sounds like a professional. Obviously it helps that I'm a fan of country music. I love listening to him.

James and Jacob were fantastic, too. Some of the notes they hit... wow.

Maleah
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
It always amazes me how differing people's opinions and tastes are!

Casey - I absolutely ADORE Casey! I love his raspy voice, I love his soul, I love his personality....heck.....I even love his beard! Although it does need to be trimmed to a much closer beard. lol The song he chose this week has never been one of my favorites but I think he does really feel everything that he sings. He's one of my top 3 favorites!

Lauren - Lauren has been one of my 3 favorites since I saw her first audition. I LOVE her voice! She is such a natural for her age....makes me sick! lol I DO wish, however, that she would try something a little edgier. She's obviously meant for country music, but I'd like to see her sing something a little more like the Aerosmith song she sang to Steven. I love the rasp she gets in her voice as well.

Pia - Pia is currently the final of my 3 fav.'s but she snuck up on me! I thought she was talented but nothing spectacular during the auditions. She stunned me the first week of competition. In Randy's words...."That was like mad dope yo! I didn't see that one comin' dawg!" lol Yeah....that'll be the last time I type that. She gave me goosebumps this week! Singing a Celine song (same as a Whitney song) is a HUGE risk......but not only did she manage to pull it off....she NAILED it!!

Stefano - I just adore Stefano. He seems like such a sweetheart and his story is so incredible. I didn't think he had done very well in the competition until he sang for his life in the wildcard performance. He genuinely moved me with that performance! He did start out a little rough this week but I purchased the song from itunes because his arrangement was so stinkin' catchy! lol

James - He's so talented but just like Adam Lambert, he can be so over the top with his vocals. When he just sang in a normal (for him, unbelievable for the rest of us) range and did his extremely high notes much more sparingly and tastefully, he was amazing! He's another one that is really passionate in his performances. You can tell he loves to sing!

Jacob - Jacob is another one that can be absolutely unbelievable and is so sweet, but he sings the same thing every week so far. Like James, he can be so over the top sometimes. I do like him but I like James's style more.

Paul - I sound like a broken record but seeing as I love raspy voices, I love Paul. ;) He's so quirky and unique from his voice, to his look, to his dance moves. lol However, this was NOT the best week for him. I liked his Rod Stewart cover much more.

Haley - The judges, or maybe I should say Randy in particular, seem to be harder on Haley. I don't really understand why because I think she's got a great voice and is so versatile! I wasn't a HUGE fan of her song choice this week but I still thought she did quite well!

Thea - Thea has such a unique phrasing to her words when she sings. Very much in the style of Adele. I'm not sure how long she's going to last in the competition though, simply because I'm not sure if she'll be able to show enough versatility and growth.

Karen - I'm honestly a little suprised that Karen has lasted this long. She's not bad but I just think she sounds like sooooooo many other singers. She's definitely not my favorite of the remaining contestants.

Scotty - Scotty has a great country voice but I have to look away when I'm watching him sing. lol His little eyebrow/smirk thing gets on my nerves! That's horrible....I know. lol He's good, but not one of my favorites.

Naima - Naima is very unique in her style/look but I don't think she's had a really good performance yet. I like HER.....I'm just not sure about her voice yet.

Ashton - I know she's gone now and even though I would have chosen Karen to send home first, Ashton would have been the next one to go for me. I'm kind of suprised that none of the judges pointed out the similarity in her voice to Beyonce's! I guess I could just be imagining it though. lol

Top 3 For Me: Pia, Casey, and James

Bottom 3 For Me: Karen, Naima, and Ashton

sodascouts
03-12-2011, 06:39 AM
I mostly agree with you, Maleah. I think our biggest difference is probably over Casey. Like I said before, he's not doing it for me.

As for Paul... I want to like his performances... but when I saw him spazz-dancing and I heard his sexy rasp starting to miss notes, I just couldn't. In fact, I was embarrassed for him. I just hope I can hop back on his love train next week because I really do like him. He just needs to justify my love, lol.

As for the weird way Scotty sings out of one side of his mouth - yeah, it can bug. Reminds me of Jim Nabors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I04P04eefcA).

Oh, and how many other folks flinched when Jacob said R. Kelly was his idol? The same R. Kelly who videotapes himself having sex with minors and urinating on them? He's your idol? Really?! And while R. Kelly has had some success within his particular genre, he's hardly a legendary artist even if you set aside his sex offender status. I think Jacob just wanted to sing "I Believe I Can Fly" and he pretended that R. Kelley was his idol so they would let him use the song. I can't understand it otherwise.

Maleah
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
I think Jacob just wanted to sing "I Believe I Can Fly" and he pretended that R. Kelley was his idol so they would let him use the song. I can't understand it otherwise.

That was my thought exactly!! Seeing as Jacob seems to come from a church background, I would highly doubt that R Kelley is his IDOL, for the same reasons you listed He may like his voice and love that song, but that doesn't make one your idol. I 100% agree that he just wanted to sing that song.

sodascouts
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
That was my thought exactly!! Seeing as Jacob seems to come from a church background, I would highly doubt that R Kelley is his IDOL, for the same reasons you listed He may like his voice and love that song, but that doesn't make one your idol. I 100% agree that he just wanted to sing that song.

Shame on him for telling a fib, then! ;)

Prettymaid
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh, and how many other folks flinched when Jacob said R. Kelly was his idol? The same R. Kelly who videotapes himself having sex with minors and urinating on them? He's your idol? Really?! And while R. Kelly has had some success within his particular genre, he's hardly a legendary artist even if you set aside his sex offender status. I think Jacob just wanted to sing "I Believe I Can Fly" and he pretended that R. Kelley was his idol so they would let him use the song. I can't understand it otherwise.

:wave: I flinched! But even though his is the most glaring excuse to use a song, I'll bet some of the others lied too. ;)

sodascouts
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Probably - although we can be sure Karen at least was telling the truth. Not everyone owns a Selena Barbie. :lol:

Prettymaid
03-16-2011, 07:43 AM
lol! That's true!

MikeA
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
They are WAY overplaying the emotional "woe is me" thing this year. Makes me sick. Sorry. I mean, I know that especially the Bluesmen all said that you couldn't sing the blues unless you'd lived the blues. Stevie Ray Vaughan was one of the "almost" tragedies of that era as were a lot of the performers back in the 60's especially. Musicians had it HARD then and still do though not at the same intensity as they did back when record companies were pocketing all the money that the artists should have been receiving.

But to tell someone they have to sing something by someone they Idolize? And then Justify that Idolization? Come on! I'm sure there are some people who do literally idolize some singer. There are certainly a lot of musicians who I really admire, but to Idolize someone is to Worship them! I can appreciate them an awfully lot without Idolizing them. As much as I love Eagles and Led Zep, I've NEVER worshiped them!

Yet they are pilling on the lard by pretty much forcing these kids to say that the Idolize some artist and then make them justify that answer.

Prettymaid
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Well Mike, it is called American Idol. ;-) :hilarious:

sodascouts
03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Some surprises for me tonight on what I like to call "Make You Feel Old Night."

Naima ("What's Love Got to Do with It") - She's got verve and a good voice! A great voice? No. She was missing notes. She can only go so far on personality.... but I think at this point she's still entertaining enough to stay on.

Paul ("I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues") - He may have been sick (and I could tell a couple of those random "Hey!"'s and "Come on!"s were designed to hide a breaking voice) but I enjoyed him more this week than I have the past two weeks. I think he picked a very good song for him and I liked it. I appreciate he didn't do as much "dancing" although there were still moments when he wiggled like a guy who really needed to go to the bathroom and was trying not to wet himself.

Thia ("Colors of the Wind") - Much better than last week, and her voice has a really pretty quality. I still think she's too young and emotionally immature for this, though, and I can see what Randy means about her doing the same thing every week. Plus that song from the Disney movie Pocahontas is kind of boring, but that's just my opinion.

James ("I'll Be There for You") - I love James but I thought he was off at several points during this song, especially at the beginning. Not his best week to put it mildly. If he was like this every week I wouldn't be rooting for him, but he's shown he can rock it. Rock it again next week, James!

Haley ("I'm Your Baby Tonight") - very saucy! I liked it, although her lower register wasn't as pleasing as her upper range. I thought it was unfair of Randy to criticize her for singing different styles of songs. It's called versatility, Randy. I hate their "You don't know who you are so let us tell you. Go imitate Janis Joplin and Stevie Nicks and don't try to do anything else." That lipstick bit must have been embarrassing but she handled it well.

Stefano ("If You Don't Know Me By Now") - once again, I was unsure as he seemed a bit off at first, but once again, he pulled it out. I also liked the runs he did - and I usually am not into that. I'm still liking Stefano.

Pia ("Where Do Broken Hearts Go") - nailed it to the wall again. What more is there to say? Love you, Pia!

Scotty ("Can I Trust You With My Heart") - I thought I was going to be bored with another same-old same-old country song but he actually took risks and showed he had some range. His most interesting performance so far! BTW maybe being an Elvis impersonator made him do that funky thing with his mouth! Make that face too long and it'll stay that way. lol

Karen ("Love Will Lead You Back") - Not perfect but really good. So much better than last week! However, I'm getting tired of her breaking out the Spanish mid-song - I understand she's proud of her Hispanic heritage but it's becoming a gimmick IMHO. Her outfit was... interesting.

Casey ("Smells Like Teen Spirit") - So Casey's back. Hope he stays healthy. His parents were too funny! OK, the performance. I like this song - yes, I admit it, when I was in high school I kind of liked grunge - but this is not a song that shows off one's voice. It's a cynical "tribute" to teen defiance stemming from disaffectation (not that I think Casey understood that as he didn't show any connection to the song) and you shout it. In fact, Kurt Cobain shouted it to the point where you could barely understand what he was saying. What was Casey thinking?? That last bit where he was hopping up and down while he vocally shredded "DENNIIIIAAAAL" made me embarrassed for him, and those "angry" faces he was trying to make as he mugged for the camera only made me laugh. Nope, still not "feeling" Casey. And J-Lo calls this sexy? mmmkay.

Lauren ("I'm the Only One") - did they give her drugs to help her with her flu or just spike her cough syrup? She seemed drunk in that bit with Ryan! The lower notes weren't happening and there were a couple of rough notes higher but should we give her a pass on that because she was sick? I don't know... she did do really well otherwise... I think it worked so I'll say yes.

Jacob ("Alone") - I've never heard a guy sing this song before. I didn't like it at first but when he got to the second part, I got into it. Then, at the last third, he lost me as he went over the top once more. Jacob just doesn't know how much is too much. (PS Jacob - saying you're going to put the "Lusk Stank" on the song just sounds gross.)

Top Three: Pia (of course), Stefano, Haley

Bottom Three: Casey, Jacob, Naima

Who's Going Home: Karen. I enjoyed her performance and I wouldn't send her home based on this week, but I don't think she did enough to erase America's memory of last week.

Maleah
03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I agree on most of your comments except for a couple. I thought Stefano was spot on. This and wild card week were my favorite performances of his. I also thought Lauren did an awesome job. A much better song for her than her previous choice. As much as I love Casey, this did NOT do him any favors. I was STUNNED to hear Jacob get such rave reviews. I thought he butchered most of the song!

sodascouts
03-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh, I know! That ending was especially awful! And Randy called it genius!

Genius? In the words of Inigo Montoya of The Princess Bride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

MikeA
03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Well Mike, it is called American Idol. ;-) :hilarious:

I KNOW! LOL. Just the terminology.

BTW: I actually liked what James did last night. I think it was James. Isn't he the one with Tourette syndrome? I had a kid in the Cub Scout Den I lead who had it. He's all grown up now but still has some of his "tics". Back then, he really had some nasty ones before they got him on meds that helped him control it.

Prettymaid
03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Let's see.....Naima, Paul, James, Stefano, Pia and Jacob, step forward please. The rest of you can go home. ;)

Maleah
03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Substitute Naima/Jacob with Lauren/Casey and you have my list PM ;)

Prettymaid
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Okay, I'll let Casey stay. :wink:

MikeA
03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not a huge Blackeyed Peas fan...really don't care much at all for them. But was that really Fergie last night? She didn't look much at all as I vaguely recall her looking.

Prettymaid
03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't know Mike, I switched to basketball so I wouldn't have to watch them.

Maleah
03-19-2011, 01:33 AM
I agree Mike, that did NOT look at all like Fergie. Looked more like Jessica Simpson. lol I don't know what the heck that was all about.

sodascouts
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Fergie really knows how to change her look dramatically with hair style, color, and clothing. I think she's pretty.

Prettymaid
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Brooke, I found your AI post in the Lasik Eye Surgery thread. I thought maybe you put it there because you were talking about Jennifer's eye shadow. :hilarious: Anyway, maybe someone could move it over here...

I was SHOCKED :shock: that the judges used their only save on Casey last night! (And he scared me a little bit after they told him - I thought he was either going to throw up or faint!) I'm really disappointed they used it so soon. Just for that I hope he's voted off next week! :razz:

Maleah
03-25-2011, 06:32 PM
There was no way he wasn't going to get saved last night. But there's also no way that Casey should have went home this early. It should have been Naima or Thia! He scared me too though, I thought he was going to pass out! Did you see how bad his hands were shaking??

Brooke
03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Brooke, I found your AI post in the Lasik Eye Surgery thread. I thought maybe you put it there because you were talking about Jennifer's eye shadow. :hilarious: Anyway, maybe someone could move it over here...

Oh geez! What did I do? :doh: :lol:

Ok, I copied it over here! Sorry guys! Thanks for catching that Pm.

First of all, what was with Jennifer's green eyeshadow? It was awful! imo!

I missed part of it, but the ones I did see did pretty well. It's not really fair to make a pick when you didn't see them, but of the ones I did see, my top pick is Pia, again.

I was shocked that the judges used their one save so early and saved Casey. So now they will lose two next week. He's just not my cup of tea. And I'm not enamored with Scotty either.

Troubadour
03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Casey scared me, too - I thought he was going to pass out or hyperventilate!

There is not one contestant I don't like this season. Right now, I'm loving James, though. INCREDIBLE voice and great stage presence! He's just got something about him.

Troubadour
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I LOVE Scotty! But then I love country...

sodascouts
03-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, the two who I wanted to go went, which is good, but I have to admit, I thought for sure Paul was going since he stank up the building last night with that wheezy rendition of "Rocket Man." I was happy he stayed, though, because I like his personality. That's not really fair but what can I say, it's how I feel - and it appears others feel that way, too, 'cause he sure didn't get votes based on his vocals.

So I missed the results night last week while I was on my trip, but I hear Casey nearly had a freaking heart attack after he was declared safe and actually collapsed backstage. Glad they didn't show that in the clips, at least. I think that's why they told him he was safe so quickly tonight. They didn't want to have to perform CPR. Seriously, the dude's health is too fragile for Idol. He needs to go home for his own sake!

I know it's a little late, but my thoughts:

Scotty ("Country Comfort") - I've never heard that song before - sure doesn't sound like Elton John - but he did his Scotty thing like he always does and sounded great like he always does. The "Grandma" thing was funny. I think Jimmy Iovine summed it up with "some think he's a one-trick pony, but it's a really good trick."

Naima ("I'm Still Standing") - it took a bit of the punch out of her dedication when we saw Jimmy Iovine telling her to do it. And oh my gosh, a fake Jamaican accent, LOL! Still, she was cute. I thought the judges would lick this up because she "changed it up" but instead they weren't down with it. I think "corny" was the harshest criticism ever uttered this season of kitten critiques. Now she's history - fine with me!

Paul ("Rocket Man") - woah, this was bad. Paul, I want so much to like you, why do you keep sucking? He started out OK, but when he got to the chorus, it all fell apart. He started missing notes and trying to hide it with whispering lines and crap like that. It was hilarious how the judges tried to prop him up, especially Steven's "I like the character that makes you sometimes not hit notes - the day you hit all the notes is the day I stop liking you" WTH??? That kind of favoritism usually garners my resentment, yet I still like him. What is it about that Paul?

Pia ("Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me") - Perfect Pia, works it every time. She's terrific! At this point, I'm rooting for her to win.

Stefano ("Tiny Dancer") - I like Stefano and he hit all the notes but I don't think he really sold this. His voice is too smooth for it. Plus, approaching J-Lo was truly corny. I hate it when they "play" with the judges. My Stefano-love has not faded though.

Lauren ("Candle in the Wind") - I thought she did fine, but I was surprised at how the judges gushed. Although calling it "one of the greatest Lauren performances on this stage" was kind of funny since she's only performed on that stage like four times. lol

James ("Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting") - I love James and I got a kick out of him running around the audience, although he started running out of breath. About the flaming piano - you know, I noticed the piano player hurriedly leave the piano after James jumped off and I was thinking "Odd, why didn't he stay onstage until the end of the song?" Then the flames shot off the piano. "Oh, that's why." I've really liked James but he's getting too over the top. He needs to pull it back a bit, I think.

Thia ("Daniel") - wow, what an improvement from last week! She really "connected" this time. I like it (except when she tried to go high, and her voice got puny). I'm not surprised she got sent home, though. She just doesn't have much of a personality and people have to like more than your voice. Best of luck to her in the future, though!

Casey ("Your Song") - Casey hasn't been impressing me but I liked his performance on this. I discovered, to my surprise, that his voice has a nice tone when he's not howling and screaming. In fact, if he sang like this every week, I might get on his love train after all.

Jacob ("Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word") - Just like Casey, I've been disappointed with Jacob, and just like Casey, I find myself liking Jacob when he tones it down. He seemed to really be feeling the song. And wow, he held that ending note for like three years. lol

Haley ("Bennie and the Jets") - I liked it well enough but it was nothing special. Once again, I was surprised by the judges' gushing. When Randy said "Best performance of the night" I was like "huh?"

BTW I used to think the line from that song was "electric boobs." lol Nice to hear Elton John's lyrics enunciated clearly - not just for this song but for all of them!

One more thing: the backup singers are way too loud, and have been all season. I think the show should ditch them altogether and let the contestant's voices stand on their own.

Prettymaid
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
What - it's not electric boobs? :mrgreen:

sodascouts
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Apparently not! ;)

I also used to think one of the lyrics to "Blinded by the Light" was "Wrapped up like a douche." Every time I heard it, I would think "what's that supposed to mean...???" Found out the real lyric years later. lol

Was anyone else surprised that they didn't do Elton songs on the results show? And was anyone else impressed by the Scotty/Lauren and Naima/Jacob duets, and appalled by the so-called house band's "Band on the Run"? That thing you're supposed to do with the other band members is called harmonizing, guys. Look into it.

Or perhaps I'm the only one who actually watches the results show.

ETA: The curious can watch the performances on MJ's Big Blog (http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-top-11-redux-the-results.htm).

MikeA
04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I saw only the cowboy baritone guy do the duet. I liked it. Surprised he is still around, but think he has a career in front of him. Has to with that voice! Pretty sure it won't be in Rock 'n Roll though!:hilarious:

sodascouts
04-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Brief Eagles mention in an American Idol results show recap!

From TVSquad.com (http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/03/31/american-idol-recap-top-11-double-elimination/):

"On the bright side, we can look forward to Naima's reggae rendition of 'Hotel California' on tour this summer. Fingers crossed!"

Actually, I find that rather frightening. lol

Prettymaid
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I only watch the results show if nothing better is on. And to be honest, I didn't like any of the duets/bands. But you're right Soda, Band On The Run was especially stinky.

Freypower
04-02-2011, 06:18 PM
What - it's not electric boobs? :mrgreen:

She's got electric boots/a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine....oh oh BBBBennie & the Jets....

I can pretty much recite that entire album's lyrics. In fact Bennie is the next song on my current playlist.

Brooke
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Btw, I saw a video of Crystal Bowersox on CMT the other day. I really liked it. I believe she wrote the song, too.

Farmers Daughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NR8tH9tDGQ

MikeA
04-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Definitely one of the best of the non-winners....and one of the best of all of them IMHO! And, that song does showcase her amazing vocals.

sodascouts
04-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Good night on AI! The "Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame" theme delivered.

I like that they brought back celebrity mentors (even if it is Will.i.am). I was getting tired of just seeing Mr. Iovine all the time. lol

No Eagles or Fleetwood Mac but perhaps that's a good thing.

Jacob ("Man in the Mirror") - This is my favorite Michael Jackson song. it has a lot of power, at least the whole song does. Jacob, as usual, hammed it up and went over the top. It wasn't bad, but when he was waving his hands around and hopping I was just cringing. His thrusting at that backup singer was awkward to watch, too. Nope, not working for me. Wait - did he just say that if he is the bottom three it's because the American people were not able to look themselves in the mirror??? WhatEVER! How about you are too over the top, man? That line alone may send him home. Nobody likes arrogance.

Haley ("Take Another Little Piece of My Heart") - at first she seemed awkward, trying too hard to "be Janis" like the judges keep telling her to do. Towards the end she was really rockin' it, though!

Casey ("Have You Ever Seen the Rain") - there were a couple weak moments vocally, but when Casey is not shouting at me, I'm finding that I actually enjoy him! Love the stand-up bass too. Very cool.

Lauren ("Natural Woman") - I like Lauren but she wasn't nailing this one. There were a couple notes that didn't quite make it. Still, she wasn't bad either.

James ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps") - Intense! I knew he had it in him. I don't think it needed the glory note at the end, but otherwise I really liked it. The tears at the end were sweet, although I thought it was a bit extreme for the judges to go on and on about him crying!

Scotty ("That's Alright") - He was adorable! Sounded great, too. Good job! That mob of tween girls coming up and hugging him afterward was very staged and very lame - but not his fault!

Pia ("River Deep Mountain High") - Awesome! Go Pia! Voice is terrific! That outfit... not so much... and I don't like them playing with the judges - it comes off as contrived. But who cares? She sounded fabulous!

Stefano ("When A Man Loves a Woman") - He was great after he stood up, but not so hot trying to sing while sitting. That beginning might put him in danger, plus he went a little over the top with the runs. I wasn't feeling it. Not his best week. Dare I say it? I agree with Randy.

Paul ("Fulsom Prison Blues") - YES! FINALLY! I liked him this week! Thank you, Paul! Except... well that ending could have been better... but it was good! It was good! (Although it was a bit disturbing to see him grinning that million-watt smile while singing "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.")

The dancing at the end was a hoot! Stefano really has moves! lol

My fave: Pia!

Bottom three: Jacob, Lauren, Stefano

Going home: Jacob, please!

WalshFan88
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
James ("Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting") - I love James and I got a kick out of him running around the audience, although he started running out of breath. About the flaming piano - you know, I noticed the piano player hurriedly leave the piano after James jumped off and I was thinking "Odd, why didn't he stay onstage until the end of the song?" Then the flames shot off the piano. "Oh, that's why." I've really liked James but he's getting too over the top. He needs to pull it back a bit, I think.

I quite liked him doing this song and running around but I'm also a huge fan of Mick Jagger's stage moves and all of that and love the energetic rock show thing and the real high pitched vocals at the end. I really Aerosmith and all of that stage antics and energy though - as I'm a classic/hard rock kind of guy.

And nope - I saw this on YouTube. I didn't watch it on TV! :D

Maleah
04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Haven't watched all of Idol yet but thought it was a little arrogant of Jacob to say that if he's in the bottom 3 this week it won't be because he didn't sing the song well but it will be because America wasn't ready to look at themselves in the mirror. What?? Or how about if you DO end up in the bottom 3....it COULD be because America liked some other performances more than yours this week?

ETA: Soda I just saw that you mentioned the same thing. LOL Great minds..... ;)

Maleah
04-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Jacob - can go this week......I'm tired of the judges raving over him. He's good but I'm not a fan.

Haley - LOVED her this week! I love that power, raspiness, range......I thought it was a great song for her.

Casey - the last couple of weeks have been the Casey that I LOVE!! He scared me a few weeks ago with a few of his performances, but he's BACK! Some of his extra grunts and growls I could do without though and he had a couple of pitchy spots. Man I love his raspy edge though!

Lauren - unfortunately for her I remember Kelly Clarkson NAILING this in season 1. ;) lol I love Lauren though, she's been one of my favorites since the beginning. I thought she did great on it though!

James - it was nice to see the other side of James but I thought it was really pitchy in spots. He obviously DOES connect very much to the music though. I don't think the tears were for show, I think he honestly feels what he sings.

Scotty - it's horrible to say but I absolutely cannot STAND to watch Scotty sing! LOL He annoys me and I even feel bad typing it! LOL But I DO have to say that I really enjoyed his vocals this week!

Pia - what is there left to say about Pia? She's amazing! She has a voice that's the caliber of the BIG voices in music.....Whitney, Celine, Mariah.....Pia.

Stefano - Hey Ryan Tedder! Isn't he the lead guy for OneRepublic? Anyway, back to Stefano.....wasn't his best while he was sitting down and singing falsetto. He sounded MUCH better after he stood up and went full voice. In fact, I LOVED it then! At that point it was one of the strongest vocals I've heard from him. Like JLo said, I felt more emotion this time from him. I'm sure he'll go soon but I love Stefano. He's not my FAVORITE, mind you, but I love him. :)

Paul - I've always liked Paul, he's just a likeable guy. His voice is so unique! I have to say this was one of his better performances because he seemed completely at ease, no pitch problems, and he made it his own!

Favorites: Pia, Haley, Casey

Bottom 3: Jacob, Scotty, James

Going Home (I wish): Jacob

Prettymaid
04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Lauren - unfortunately for her I remember Kelly Clarkson NAILING this in season 1. ;) lol I love Lauren though, she's been one of my favorites since the beginning. I thought she did great on it though!

I was thinking the same thing! KC's version was great when she hit that high note in season 1!

I don't care who goes home next as long as it's not James, Paul or Pia. And okay, Haley can stay awhile longer too! :lol:

Maleah
04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes it was! But then KC is just awesome period. lol

I didn't think it was the best performance from James last night but I definitely don't want him to go home! If I had my choice it would be Jacob and if it wasn't Jacob it would be Scotty. lol

sodascouts
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think Scotty's going home anytime soon. He's definitely got a lot of the grandma, tween, and Southern votes. I don't think he'll win it either, though. His appeal isn't broad enough.

We'll see if I'm right!

Maleah
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh I definitely agree with you! He'll last long past what I would like. lol He has a VERY strong fan base.

Brooke
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
i really enjoyed the beginning with Steven Tyler showing off the R&R Hall of Fame exhibits.

Jacob ("Man in the Mirror") - I really like the song, and I thought his voice was good, but I really didn't like his performance either. I agree with you Soda. He was way over the top and the thrusting was yuk.

Haley ("Take Another Little Piece of My Heart") - I really enjoyed her on this, but think she tried to be JJ a little too much. You know, the judges confuse these people I think. They tell them to do this or that and when they do then they want something else. :headscratch:

Casey ("Have You Ever Seen the Rain") - he's just not my thing. This is one of my favorite CCR/John Fogerty songs and he did ok, but those grunts and weird noises turned me off.

Lauren ("Natural Woman") - She didn't move me one bit tonight. And I hated her hairdo and shorts. She can do better.

James ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps") - I thought he did a great job, but I thought the judges made too much of the tears too. He's one of my favorites.

Scotty ("That's Alright") - He's NOT one of my favorites. I wasn't at all impressed by him tonight. I didn't even really like his delivery of the song. I'm ready for him to go.

Pia ("River Deep Mountain High") - I didn't like her outfit either, but as usual she sounded terrific. I think she lost it a little when she walked around the judges table, but she's perfect.

Stefano ("When A Man Loves a Woman") - Now see, I thought this was one of his better performances. I didn't like the sit down start, but the rest was great.

Paul ("Folsom Prison Blues") - When I heard he was going to do a Johnny Cash song, I was wondering, but he pulled it off. He's definitely got showmanship. His voice is rather strange, (really reminds me of Rod Stewart), but I really like him and his dazzling smile!

Top three-Pia, James, Paul

Bottom three: Lauren, Scotty, Jacob

Going home: Jacob PLEASE!

sodascouts
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Just heard that the whole "America needs to look in the mirror if I'm bottom three" bit from Jacob was because he's the last minority on the show, and he feels if he gets knocked off, it's because he's black and America is racist.

MikeA
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I actually kind of liked Casey's version of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" and also liked Haley's "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart".

I thought Casey did a really good subdued rendition of that song and that's been my impression of Casey all along that I DIDN'T like: He seemed to always be "over the top" with his vocals. He hit that song at the right times and his grunts and groans I actually thought fit in pretty well to leave you with the anticipation of hearing him fly up into the rafters...but he never did! While he gave me that anticipation, he didn't disappoint me when he DIDN'T do it. Just well performed and he should get props for it.

The only criticism I had on Haley's performance was that while I think she really nailed the vocals on it, her performance...well, she just didn't look to me like she was really "feeling" the song as she sang it. Blues is ALL about emotion, and I just got the feeling that she was just singing the song. But if I closed my eyes and just listened...I was very impressed with what she did.

I just didn't get Lauren's "Natural Woman" at all. Did nothing at all for me. She had no stage presence at all. Vocals were okay.

Those were the only three that I saw last night but based on them, I'd give frontrunners to both Casey and Haley.

sodascouts
04-07-2011, 09:04 PM
WHAT THE HELL

Maleah
04-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I am absolutely stunned. What a bunch of crap.

EagleLady
04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
What happened?

Maleah
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Well Stefano, Pia, and Jacob were the bottom three and PIA went home! :shock:

EagleLady
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
:shock: America voted off the best one???? Seems Charlie Sheen isn't the only one that doesn't have his head on straight

Maleah
04-08-2011, 12:01 AM
The thing that stinks is that it's not really even that America voted her OFF, so to speak. I mean I don't think America WANTED her to leave. I guarantee you the same thing happened with her that happened when Chris Daughtry was on there. Everyone always thinks the front runner is "safe" because "so many other people will be voting for them" so they move on to their OTHER favorites to try to keep them in the competition. Therefore leaving the best one without many votes and leaving the show. It really stinks. :(

WalshFan88
04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I for one can't stand Jacob's arrogance. I don't watch the show on TV, I watch the clips on YouTube and the "America needs to look themselves in the mirror blah blah blah" bit made me want to barf, laugh at him, and smack the arrogance out of him at the same time! He's by far my least favorite contestant. James is my favorite from the clips I've seen. I'll admit I'm not a big AI fan, I prefer things the old way of finding talent and all of that (I'm OLD SCHOOL folks, my brain is in the 70s)! :D

Prettymaid
04-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Although Pia's style of music and singing is not my own I appreciated her talent from the beginning. Her poise and the way she carried herself reminded me of Carrie Underwood. I thought she would be in the top three.

I don't blame America as much as I blame the judges. I can't believe that back when they used (wasted) their save on Casey they couldn't see that there would be a time when they would need it for a bigger talent. If this was not the week we needed the judges save I don't know when it would be. I'm so mad!

Brooke
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm mad too. This is absolutely ridiculous! I really thought Pia would be in the top 2 or 3. When I saw Jacob was in the bottom three I thought surely it would be him to go.

Pm, I was thinking the same thing about the judges. I bet they wished they had kept their save. They acted as stunned as I was.

THIS STINKS!

ETA: I thought Iggy Pop was a hoot! :shock: I don't know how old he is, but he is BUFF!

sodascouts
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I guarantee you the same thing happened with her that happened when Chris Daughtry was on there. Everyone always thinks the front runner is "safe" because "so many other people will be voting for them" so they move on to their OTHER favorites to try to keep them in the competition. Therefore leaving the best one without many votes and leaving the show. It really stinks. :(

I'm definitely guilty of this. I thew in a vote for James because I thought he might need it since his vocal wasn't perfect. It never occurred to me Pia would need my vote, so I didn't bother. She's the only one that has been consistently brilliant - even my second favorite James has had weak vocals moments. Pia - NONE. She first caught my attention when she perfectly sang Eric Carmen's notoriously difficult "All By Myself" and she never let me down afterward. She's amazing!!

I think this is worse than Daughtry because at least he got to #4. Even Jennifer Hudson made it to #7. Pia left NINTH. It broke my heart to hear her sobbing at the end. You know she wasn't at all emotionally prepared to leave.

Despite the fact that I wanted Pia to stay and was upset by the results, I did feel sorry for Stefano when people were booing and the judges were going on and on about America getting it wrong. You know he must have felt like crap.

There has to be a backlash from this. I just wonder what form it will take.

Brooke
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess I'm guilty, too. I don't usually vote at all. :sad:

sodascouts
04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Check out the reactions of past idol contestants like Daughtry and JHud:

http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-alums-weigh-in-on-pia-toscanos-surprise-boot.htm
Note: There is some cussing.

And I hear even Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tweeted their displeasure!

Meanwhile, Steven Tyler speculates that Pia got booted because "Guys aren't voting and girls are jealous." (http://www.starsofreality.com/Steven-Tyler-Pia-Eliminated-Because-Girls-Jealous-15536749) Sexist much??

I've never seen such anger over a shock boot since I've been watching Idol.

Maybe in the end it'll benefit Pia. If she'd been eliminated third or thereabouts, it wouldn't have really been a surprise and wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of buzz this has.

Prettymaid
04-09-2011, 08:15 AM
We've heard that "guy's aren't voting and girls are jealous" theory before, not from a judge though. It could have some merit, I don't know...I have to remember that everyone who watches the show is not thinking like me. Who knows what their criteria is? :shrug:

Troubadour
04-09-2011, 02:21 PM
I think there is some truth in what Steven Tyler said. I would imagine that the majority of voters ARE young girls - which is why the cute guys often hang around in the competition - and also, although Pia was vocally superb, I don't think she has the charisma of some of the other contestants. She is beautiful and her voice is perfect, but I can understand why somebody would be more excited about seeing James's performance, for example, than Pia's. She's classical rather than edgy - and edgy/quirky seems to be the flavour of the week.

Still a shock, though. I thought Jacob or Stefano would go, even before they announced that they were in the bottom three.

Maleah
04-09-2011, 11:06 PM
BUT one has to remember that there HAVE been very popular women on the show. Crystal Bowersox last year for instance. Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia, and Jordin Sparks all won of course. Like PM said, I have to remind myself that my taste in music and voices isn't everyone's. Obviously they're wrong but I'll allow them to be wrong. ;) lol

sodascouts
04-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I know it's all subjective, but Pia was so amazing vocally and for her to go so early... I didn't expect her to win, but I certainly expected her to last longer.

MikeA
04-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Crystal Bowersox last year for instance.

Speaking of Crystal...I saw a vid on Youtube of her new song "I'm Not No Farmer's Daughter Any More" or something like that. Really strong vocals on that one! Hope she becomes really successful in the Music Business! She should!

Brooke
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
To quote myself, here it is Mike! lol

Btw, I saw a video of Crystal Bowersox on CMT the other day. I really liked it. I believe she wrote the song, too.

Farmers Daughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NR8tH9tDGQ

MikeA
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
So THAT's where I got the link! :steviesmack:

sodascouts
04-13-2011, 11:01 PM
OK, movie night on AI!

Paul ("Old Time Rock and Roll") - That outfit! That spazz dancing! That "c'mon y'all!" Paul is a hoot. Is he a great singer? No. However, he is entertaining.

Lauren ("The Climb") - Despite the fact that this song is overdone, I enjoyed this. Lauren sounded great! I think it was her best vocal yet.

Stefano ("End of the Road") - So passionate! You go, Stefano! One of his best performances!

Scotty ("Cross My Heart") - Good but kind of boring, honestly. Also, it looked like he forgot a couple lyrics. Sure wish he would've done "Everybody's Talkin'" instead.

Casey ("Nature Boy") - The standup bass is cool and his vocal was fine - good phrasing even if he missed some notes - but the song was weird and not very melodic, and those tight close-ups made it impossible to ignore the creepy faces Casey makes when he sings. Yikes. Didn't really enjoy it.

Haley ("Call Me") - This wasn't bad but she was trying so hard to be sexy that it came off as almost campy. The sad thing is if she just sang with passion she would be sexy without even trying. It's the deliberate sashaying, calculated "smoldering" looks at the camera, and hair flinging that kills it. Vocally a little rough too - not the greatest. But the judges - ack! How about J-Lo's "I'm afraid to say anything negative because I don't want any more girls to go home" - Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously Jenn?? You don't want to criticize her because she's a girl?? And you ADMIT that?? I miss Simon...

Jacob ("Bridge Over Troubled Water") - I think his vocal was good (although not perfect as Randy proclaimed) but I just can't get into him. He dialed it down a bit this week, but even dialed-down Jacob is too OTT for me. BTW I also found his sparkling earrings distracting. So is he officially out of the closet or what?

James ("Heavy Metal") - the first thing I thought of when I heard that James was doing the song from Heavy Metal was that he was going to do Don Felder's "Heavy Metal (Taking a Ride)." Unfortunately, he was doing the other track named "Heavy Metal" - the title track by Sammy Hagar! Oh well, too bad. I love James, but this was a bit much for me. I'm not into screaming pyrotechnic heavy metal. That dude on the guitar kind of frightened me, lol. But dang, James sure is limber! Did you see how he slowly bent over completely backwards and came up again without even breaking a sweat? His high-five and shout-out to the little kid was adorable!

Fave: Stefano (so sad I can no longer type "Pia" here)

Bottom Three: Jacob, Haley, Casey

Who's Going Home: I want Jacob to go, but it'll probably be Haley.

MikeA
04-14-2011, 07:12 AM
I watched the first four perform last night.

That guy in the sparkaly suit...Paul...he needs to spend a season on Dancing With The Stars to learn how to bust a few moves. And personally, I though his vocals pretty much sucked.

The Cowboy Girl....I liked her! Lauren, she just got up there and sang. Hit it pretty good too. Another Carrie Underwood, she ain't but she's got the vocals.

The kid in the Bottom Two last week...Stefano...He did a really good job last night. He works the stage naturally as well. He ought to be safe this week.

Cowboy Guy...Scotty...he should be safe too but I'm with Soda on this one. He should have gone ahead and done "Midnight Cowboy" (Everybody's Talkin). This guy has an awsome set of pipes.

About this time in the show, I got really interested in a Louis L'Amour Western novel and didn't catch the rest of the show. Besides, an episode of Bones was on another channel that I hadn't seen so I flipped it and watched her bust some guy that murdered another guy who was growing pot in a Body Farm (if you didn't see it, don't ask!)

Prettymaid
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I miss Simon...

The judges should have used their save to bring Simon back. I kept thinking this same thought throughout the show. I miss Simon.

Missed Paul and haven't had a chance to watch him yet. Mostly I agree with just about everything Soda said. Stefano's not my fave though. Not sure I have a fave...

*sigh*

Brooke
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Paul ("Old Time Rock and Roll") - I really liked it, but I didn't get the outfit with the song. That sparkly suit reminded me of Porter Wagner, not Bob Seger! I like Paul a lot even though his voice is a little weird.

Lauren ("The Climb") - I liked this one, too. I really liked her this week.

Stefano ("End of the Road") - I thought he sounded great, but his outfit didn't match the song at all either. I think you need to be dressed up when you sing this kind of song.

Scotty ("Cross My Heart") - I agree, boring. Scotty just doesn't do anything for me at all. The judges are worrying me by this time, too. It was ok, but certainly not wonderful like they acted.

Casey ("Nature Boy") - This guy bugs me, too. Strange song. Strange guy. I don't like those weird faces and grunts he does either.

Haley ("Call Me") - I thought she did ok, but not wonderful. Steven's mention of her dress was a bit much.

Jacob ("Bridge Over Troubled Water") -He was better for me this week, and how did you like Iovine's and Will's comments? They pretty much blasted him for his facebook comments. Too funny! Still, I'm ready for him to go.

James ("Heavy Metal") -I liked it, but I really don't like metal. I thought the guitar player was going to take over at the end and maybe we should vote for him, too!

Fave: Paul, but he's probably not going to win.

Bottom Three: Jacob, Haley, Casey

Who's Going Home: Please go Jacob or Casey.

I'm with you on the judges. They are raving about nearly everybody. I think it's bad luck for you to perform towards the end because I think they realize that they better quit saying wonderful things and think up some advice to give cause they are overdoing the praise.

I agree, we need Simon back. And Pia is sorely missed. I don't think I have a fave after Paul.

sodascouts
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
The judges should have used their save to bring Simon back.

lol! You said it.

That sparkly suit reminded me of Porter Wagner, not Bob Seger!

Oh my gosh, I was thinking the same thing! But all of his suits so far have looked like they used to belong to Porter Wagoner, lol. For instance, last week, I thought "I doubt he'd last long in Folsom Prison wearing that..."

Steven's mention of her dress was a bit much.I missed that, so I went back to MJ's Big Blog (http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-top-8-movie-night-recap-and-videos.htm) to re-watch it. Oh my gosh, that was tacky! Ew! I don't think she understood his sexual innuendo with that line about how he liked "looking up your old ad-DRESS" because she just smiled and said "Thank you."

I also noticed that one of the camera angles (the one shooting from the audience perspective up at the performer onstage) came dangerously close to looking up Haley's short, short skirt and giving us a panty shot! Maybe that's what inspired Steven's oh-so-clever comment. :rolleyes:

This is in addition to Steven making a point of drooling over the cute female saxophonist who accompanied Paul - "baby, you're goooood" - before he even started judging Paul. That comment wasn't nearly as bad as the "ad-DRESS" bit but still, it's kind of icky. These girls are 40 years younger than he is.

how did you like Iovine's and Will's comments? They pretty much blasted him for his facebook comments. Too funny! I said "Amen!" He deserved a reality check.

James ("Heavy Metal") -I liked it, but I really don't like metal. I thought the guitar player was going to take over at the end and maybe we should vote for him, too!Something I didn't say before - I like James, but having a semi-famous guitar player do a solo during the song was a bit much and perhaps even an unfair advantage.

ETA: For those who didn't see it, the guitar player was Zakk Wylde.

MikeA
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
The remark Steven made about the sax player....something about her name. Paul didn't even know her name! Or at least he couldn't recall it after his performance.

And HECK, If I'd known that Zakk Wylde was doing a solo, I'd have watched James!

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
James is my favorite out of all of them - he does the most rock stuff and really has that rock n' roll spirit and personality. I loved his cover of "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" he did a while back. I loved how he was running around and all of that. Reminded me of Mick Jagger, who's stage antics I love (some don't, I like the energy in a rock show). He's like a Steven Tyler/Mick Jagger cross. Two of my favorite frontmen. He's a great singer and frontman IMO. I hope he wins.

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
This is how much I pay attention to this show or, sorry to admit, this thread-----Just saw this on Sammy Hagar's FB. Very cool and Zak Wylde was with him. :headbang: Yeah baby!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpBDsE81LuA

A question also while I'm here. When I watched at the beginning of the season, there was a guy who played bass and I believe he's still in the running. Who was he and how's he doing? I was pretty impressed with him at the time.

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 02:23 PM
James ("Heavy Metal") - the first thing I thought of when I heard that James was doing the song from Heavy Metal was that he was going to do Don Felder's "Heavy Metal (Taking a Ride)." Unfortunately, he was doing the other track named "Heavy Metal" - the title track by Sammy Hagar! Oh well, too bad. I love James, but this was a bit much for me. I'm not into screaming pyrotechnic heavy metal. That dude on the guitar kind of frightened me, lol. But dang, James sure is limber! Did you see how he slowly bent over completely backwards and came up again without even breaking a sweat? His high-five and shout-out to the little kid was adorable!

Just reread this without scanning it. :lol: I'm sorry Zak scared you. He is kinda "loud" huh? I love both Heavy Metals but am very partial to Sammy's.
:faint: I love Zak!!! He's a great big rock n roll pussycat really!! Loved it!!

Brooke
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
lol! You said it.
This is in addition to Steven making a point of drooling over the cute female saxophonist who accompanied Paul - "baby, you're goooood" - before he even started judging Paul. That comment wasn't nearly as bad as the "ad-DRESS" bit but still, it's kind of icky. These girls are 40 years younger than he is.

I forgot about that. Yeah, Steven, really! :rolleyes:

And sometimes when the camera shows the judges table Steven is looking off somewhere else or adjusting his shirt. Basically not paying attention. I think he is somewhat bored by Idol in general.

Something I didn't say before - I like James, but having a semi-famous guitar player do a solo during the song was a bit much and perhaps even an unfair advantage.

ETA: For those who didn't see it, the guitar player was Zakk Wylde.

Yeah, I agree. I couldn't remember his name, but he was pretty awesome! They showed way too much of him though.

I think James is my pick to win. Or who I think should win. Since Pia is gone! :rolleyes:

Brooke
04-14-2011, 02:53 PM
:faint: I love Zak!!! He's a great big rock n roll pussycat really!! Loved it!!

One thing about him, he really has nice hair! Reminds me of a certain young Eagle! :wink: :hilarious:

sodascouts
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, Paul wasn't the best, but I'm still sorry to see him go!

When I watched at the beginning of the season, there was a guy who played bass and I believe he's still in the running. Who was he and how's he doing? I was pretty impressed with him at the time.

That's Casey. He's still in the game, although he's lost his sheen for me.

Maleah
04-14-2011, 10:50 PM
I love Casey when he sings this like "Georgia" in the auditions and Elton John's "Your Song." I could listen to him over and over on those songs. But he does these grunts and groans and makes these really creepy looks with his eyes that bother me! lol Unfortunately he was doing it a LOT, backed off Elton week, and is back at it now. :(

Prettymaid
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Missed last night. Hopped on the internet sites to see who went home. PAUL? OMG, all my 'faves' are leaving! That only leaves James for me.

AI isn't what it used to be. I'd love to hear what Simon thinks of the judging this year.

TimothyBFan
04-15-2011, 09:10 AM
One thing about him, he really has nice hair! Reminds me of a certain young Eagle! :wink: :hilarious:

Whatta ya sayin'? :headscratch:

Thanks for the Casey info. I just looked him up on YouTube. I still love this-he is really good in my opinion.

This knocked my socks off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ-GwiBqdsw

And I thought this was great and I'm with Jennifer & Randy--I hope everyone "gets it". To me this was perfection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifpfD2HgycE

Brooke
04-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Whatta ya sayin'? :headscratch:

So, he had very long hair that was thick and wavy. Reminded me of young Glenn's lovely long hair back in the day. :shrug:

I'm very disappointed to see Paul go. That pretty much ruined it for me. :cry:

TimothyBFan
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
So, he had very long hair that was thick and wavy. Reminded me of young Glenn's lovely long hair back in the day. :shrug:

Just Glenn? :hilarious:You know, I just don't think I'm much into the long hair rock star kind! :lie:

So Paul is gone now? Crap!! I watched the Old Time Rock N Roll video and I must say I really wasn't impressed with that version but up till then I thought he was doing pretty good. I guess I'm going with Casey or James then.

Brooke
04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Just Glenn?

Ohhhhhh, is there someone else you might be thinking of? :hmm:

:lol:

MikeA
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm going with Casey or James then.

I could go with those two. James is the one with tourette's syndrome isn't he? Not that it matters when it comes to his performance. I just thought he does a really good thing with what I've heard of him.

Casey is a very strong vocalist. He sure nailed that Elton John song!

Prettymaid
04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
And I thought this was great and I'm with Jennifer & Randy--I hope everyone "gets it". To me this was perfection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifpfD2HgycE

I think I "get it". I just don't "like it".

Maleah
04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Don't worry Willie....I "get it" and I LOVE it! ;)

sodascouts
04-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'm one of the ones who didn't "get it" - especially when he kept missing notes.

Brooke
04-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Not my cup of tea either. Sorry!

Maleah
04-17-2011, 02:01 AM
James must have went to the Stevie/Rod show because he posted on twitter: "Wow! Stevie Nicks is AMAZING! Nuff said. " Followed by "Rod Stewarts killing as well! Wow! What a grrreat show! IT REMINDS ME OF PAUL :-( I MISS YOU @PMcDonaldAI10 (http://twitter.com/PMcDonaldAI10) "

sodascouts
04-17-2011, 02:20 AM
OK, that settles it. I'm power-voting for James next week!

Just kidding, but it is cool he has good musical taste. ;)

WalshFan88
04-19-2011, 05:00 AM
James is by far my favorite but that's probably due to my roots shining through. The AC/DC, Zep, Aerosmith, Ozzy, etc stuff shining through. I really enjoyed his performance of Heavy Metal... Regardless of Zakk's appearance I think James did a great job. He is by far my favorite but that comes to no surprise to me as I love the hard rock stuff and the high voices and all of that... Just my nature.

I'll be honest though I never watched much American Idol in the past and I still don't watch it on TV - but I watch all of it on YouTube and that's how I can see everything. I think Steven Tyler is a great addition to the panel at AI. But again I'm a 70s rock dude at heart (probably also explains why I prefer songs like Life In The Fast Lane over songs like Tequila Sunrise and also explains why I like some of the special effects during concerts.) Once a rocker always a rocker! ;)

sodascouts
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Songs from the 21st Century! That's a novelty!

Oh my gosh, "So What" made me LOL! Paul and the ladies! I have to say, poor Paul didn't blend in worth a toot with a song by Pink and struggled with the lyrics, but who cares? We got to see his rockin' Porter Wagoner suit again! ;) Of course I loved seeing Pia again, as well as the other girls.

In fact, all the pre-song packages, which I usually find really boring, were super-cute this week - especially Casey's. Too funny! Even Iovine was likable this week.

Scotty ("Swingin'") - It wasn't bad but he moves so unnaturally it was distracting. He looked like a creepy hunchback up there. What's up with that? (The package where they imitated him was hilarious, BTW!) The vocal performance wasn't that hot either. Scotty's worst night so far, I think. BTW I think it's cheating to do an 80s John Anderson song that happened to be covered by LeAnn Rimes more recently and call it a "song from the 21st century." That's like calling Landslide a 21st Century Dixie Chicks song.

James ("Uprising") - I used to adore James but the more over the top he goes, the less I'm feeling him. I hope he dials it back soon. I'm tired of being screamed at.

Haley ("Rolling in the Deep") - Wow, Haley rocked it! My favorite performance by her so far. The only slight issue was that her vocal phrasing was very derivative of Adele, the original artist. Still, she sounded amazing!

Jacob ("Dance for My Father") - I thought his vocal was fine overall but he just doesn't do it for me. Also, again, he seems to miss the whole "contemporary" idea of the theme by picking Luther Vandross - AGAIN. Although... I have to admit... the fact that I feel sorry for him because his daddy died does tend to make me judge him less harshly this week. Not exactly fair I guess but true.

Casey ("Harder to Breathe") - I really like this song and I'm a Maroon 5 fan, so I was wondering if Casey would rock it or ruin it. At first I was totally into it. Like Haley, his vocal and phrasing imitated that of the original artist, but he was executing it well. I thought the way he sung that run while playing bass was really cool. Then... the ending. Wow, he blew that! Missing notes all over the place! And kissing J-Lo on the cheek was tres lame.

Stefano ("Closer") - He's got the moves!!!! Great vocal. I was really entertained! Go Stefano!

Lauren ("Born to Fly") - Lauren was great as long as she was accompanied by backup singers, but when they pulled back and it was just her, she faltered. She just lacks self-confidence, it's as simple that. I still enjoy her, but I can't see her going much farther, no matter how many pep talks the judges give her.

Did you guys hear Casey and Haley are an item? He really scored with that one!

Bottom Three: Jacob, Scotty, Casey

Who's Going Home: Jacob.... I HOPE!

MikeA
04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
I saw more last night that I normally watch.

Jacob: Yeah, go home.

Scotty: I love his voice but that song "Swinging" might have been the wrong choice....He outta be doing Don Williams or Johnny Cash.

James: He's Heavy and I thought he he really worked it last night. I still can't believe he can not only hit those highs but modulate them as well!

Casey: I thought he put a number on that performance. He just looks like he belongs on the stage.

Haley: I just couldn't separate her from Adele. Adele can get away with "just" sitting and belting it out, but I'm afraid that Haley just didn't pull that one off. Nothing really wrong with her vocals and I do like that "gravel" in her voice, but she was just too close to the same sound that Adele produced for it to be unique enough for me to appreciate. Still, not bad just not extra special.

For me, it was all James and Casey last night.

Molly
04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
What was with Scotty last night? He's always making the goofy faces, but last night was just creepy. The subject matter of the song and his howdy doody face just don't mix. I love, love, love that song, but he just ruined it for me. Must...erase...his...creepy...faces...from...my... memory.

I actually had to flip the channel and landed on "Hoarding:Buried Alive" which, last night, I found less disturbing.

I thought James was over the top amazing. He certainly impressed the two 20 something males that live in my house. Both my boys not only stayed in the room thru the entire performance (they never watch Idol), but both commented on how much they liked it. I guess that's his audience right there.

Everyone else last night...YAWN

Go home, Jacob!

Brooke
04-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I didn't know any of the songs except Swingin', so maybe that's why I was not overly impressed.

Molly, I'm with you on Scotty. His expressions and the way he holds his head to the microphone. :yuck: And I thought he was very boring. I think he can sing, but he doesn't have a clue what to sing!

I love James, too! I'm not a metal fan, but he really put on a show and I thought his vocals were fantastic. He almost reminded me a bit of Adam Lambert with that high screaming at the end! :lol:

I actually liked Casey's performance last night, until he kissed Jennifer. I thought that was completely uncalled for. :hand: He has trimmed the awful beard some, which helped too.

The rest of them were just ho-hum for me, too.

Favorite of the night-James

Go home-Jacob or Scotty! Please!

MikeA
04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
For cryin' out loud Brooke....what do you MEAN Casey laying one on Jennifer was "uncalled for?" Man, I'd have been all down for that if I had the chance. Apparently, Steven was thinking the same thing!

Brooke
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm sure you would, Mike, but I thought it was lame. For crying out loud!

jmo!

MikeA
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Did you notice that Jenifer was EXPECTING IT? She had already turned her cheek to him before he ever got near her. I think it was something he had her permission to do...not spontaneous.

Another thing I've noticed....J.Lo was always rather cute....but NOW she really is stunningly drop dead gorgeous! Has she just naturally blossomed with age or has she had help? Seriously...I've not looked lower than her face...HONEST! On a treasure map, she would be the "X" that marked the spot!

Prettymaid
04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
What was with Scotty last night? He's always making the goofy faces, but last night was just creepy. The subject matter of the song and his howdy doody face just don't mix. I love, love, love that song, but he just ruined it for me. Must...erase...his...creepy...faces...from...my... memory.

I actually had to flip the channel and landed on "Hoarding:Buried Alive" which, last night, I found less disturbing.

:rofl:Molly, you crack me up!

Hmm, I forgot to watch last night. :roll: Must be my mind telling me I just don't care anymore.

Maleah
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
It was an interesting Idol week! I don't remember the order they sang in so......

Scotty - I'm ready for Scotty to go home. He's got a good voice, yes......but everything sounds exactly the same every single week. I find I can't even watch him sing because it's so awkward.

James - James is the best "performer" by far this season. He's a natural on the stage and loves playing with the stage setup and outfits. I've been saying since like the second week though, he's doing the exact same thing Adam Lambert did. We already know you can hit these amazing high notes, we don't need to hear it every....single....week.

Haley - I think Haley has one of the best voices this season, it just seems like she has a hard time getting everything to work for her all at once. lol I thought this was a PERFECT fit for her. I don't think she could have changed up the phrasing/style too much on this song so I'm fine with her doing it just like Adele. The only part I thought she struggled with was going into the falsetto.

Jacob - I teared up watching the pre-performance video but it wasn't enough to make me vote for him. I like Jacob well enough, but voice wise he just isn't the style I like. I'm ready for him to go this week.

Stefano - I thought Stefano did very good this week. I really don't expect him to last through another couple of weeks but based on performance I think it should be Jacob or Scotty that goes this week. Stefano seemed much more natural and comfortable on stage this week and didn't seem like he had any trouble keeping his eyes open. lol

Casey - I guess I'm the odd girl out here because I thought him kissing J-Lo on the cheek was cute. lol I didn't find it lame or annoying in the least. It seemed all in fun and like everyone was really enjoying themselves all night. I thought Casey started off really well with his performance. I think Casey's problem tends to be when he gets really into the song, or more excited so to speak. He then tends to try too hard and puts too much into the song, which ends up negatively altering his pitch and putting too much growling and sound effects into it. lol Overall, I still love Casey and when he just flat out SINGS.....I think he's one of the top 3 remaining!

Lauren - Lauren's biggest problem is her confidence. I think she has an awesome voice and if she had more confidence in herself to go for more power and vocal moves, I think she'd be absolutely AMAZING. It's easy to forget that she's only 16 years old. She absolutely nailed her audition when she sang with Steven, but that was because she was more confident then. She didn't really know what any of the other singers sounded like. Now she's heard James, Jacob, and Pia hit these huge notes and she's doubting herself. She shouldn't though because the tone/quality of her voice far surpasses almost all of the contestants!

MikeA
04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Casey - I think Casey's problem tends to be when he gets really into the song, or more excited so to speak.

That's a good theory Molly, but it's all wrong. He was getting excited alright but only because he he knew he was going to be kissin' J.Lo. A wonder he could sing at all!

Brooke
04-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I felt sorry for Stefano. Poor guy. I think he's thought he was going for the last couple weeks and he's been amazed that he didn't. I so wish Jacob would have went instead. Or Scotty. :tonguewag:

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Same here. Poor Stefano! And he did so good this week, too. I knew he wouldn't win but I sure wish Jacob had gone first.

Who is voting for Jacob? On all the boards I read, everyone wants him to go. Maybe he just has a lot of power-voting relatives!

Troubadour
04-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I wasn't surprised with the result - I've had the feeling that Jacob and Stefano would go for the past few weeks. All of the remaining contestants are great, but James is my winner. He looks so comfortable on stage and he just brings energy to the audience immediately. He's great doing metal, but I REALLY love it when he slows it down and sings a heartfelt rock ballad. His voice has got the depth for it - he's not just a screamer. (In this way, I agree with previous comments that he doesn't necessarily need to "scream" in each song.) The way he handled the Muse song was awesome. I loved his vision for it and way it was executed.

I've always had a soft spot for Scotty. I can see what people mean in terms of watching him perform, but I think he's cute. He has charisma and he has that kind of smouldering look that will only improve with age! I reckon once he's settled into his own artist niche (doing his own concerts and not having to perform different styles for American Idol), he will relax and seem a lot more natural. He's got a gorgeous voice.

I love Casey and I look forward to his performances, but James just tips him, for me. I imagine these two to be in the final. I think the kiss was cute - Casey's cheeky, that's why we like him!

Hayley is fantastic - when she's on it, she's really on it - but I have a feeling that she and Jacob will be in the bottom two next week. I may be wrong. Jacob has an incredible voice (he has the haunting quality of the guy from Antony and the Johnsons) but I think it's clear already that he's not America's winner. Someone like James has broader appeal, I think. He's exciting.

Troubadour
04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah - and it's Carole King week next week! :heart:

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah - and it's Carole King week next week! :heart:

I noticed that! "Natural Woman" has already been done. Wonder what they'll do? This week might be pretty difficult for some of the guys...

My guesses:

"I Feel the Earth Move" - Haley
"One Fine Day" or "The Loco-Motion" - Lauren
"Some Kind of Wonderful" - Jacob
"I'm Into Something Good" - Scotty
"Jazzman" - Casey
"Pleasant Valley Sunday" or "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (don't laugh; this could be hot) - James

In fact, James doing a ballad well would be such a stark contrast with recent weeks it'll really make an impression. "So Far Away" or "It's Too Late" would also do. I hope goes that route!

Molly
04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I've never been interested in downloading any of the songs done by the contestants on the show, but I think I'm going to be downloading James' version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow".

I absolutely loved it!

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 02:50 AM
James is by far the best. I for one love the over the top rock performances. I like his voice the best. :singer:

Brooke
04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
I noticed that! "Natural Woman" has already been done. Wonder what they'll do? This week might be pretty difficult for some of the guys...

My guesses:

"I Feel the Earth Move" - Haley
"One Fine Day" or "The Loco-Motion" - Lauren
"Some Kind of Wonderful" - Jacob
"I'm Into Something Good" - Scotty
"Jazzman" - Casey
"Pleasant Valley Sunday" or "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (don't laugh; this could be hot) - James

In fact, James doing a ballad well would be such a stark contrast with recent weeks it'll really make an impression. "So Far Away" or "It's Too Late" would also do. I hope goes that route!

Hey, you got James' right! And he was awesome!

I thought it might be tough for the guys, too.

I really loved James' version. I actually went to the computer to vote after the show and realized you had to be a facebook member! :rolleyes: I don't do facebook. Then of course I hadn't written down the number to call, so I didn't get to vote. I hope he wins it!

I thought the rest did pretty good. I actually didn't even mind Jacob or Scotty too much. But I still hope one of them goes tonight. Please!

sodascouts
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
lol. Yeah, I got one! And I think James did GREAT. I'm going with the crowd and saying it was my fave performance of the night.

Jacob ("Oh No Not My Baby") - First, that outfit. LOL!!!!!!!!!! OK, regaining composure... I liked that he was moving around more, but it wasn't one of his best vocals and I'm just not into him. Still want him to go home.

Lauren ("Where You Lead, I Will Follow") - Not bad, although she still sometimes seems nervous. I was really surprised she pulled that guy onstage. I wonder if they asked that guy if he'd be cool with that? He sure handled himself well. It was cute, but a little awkward when she was off singing somewhere else and he was just stuck there!

Scotty ("You've Got a Friend") - First song of the night I actually recognize, lol. He really was making an effort to tone down the affectations and I appreciate it. Yeah, he doesn't have much of a range, but he sang it with emotion and I thought it was one of his better performances.

James ("Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow") - Loved it! I would have loved it even more if he'd kept it gentle but it worked overall. I loved how he ended with "You'd better love me tomorrow!" He's now my favorite. Watch him get eliminated like Pia. lol

Casey ("Hi-De-Ho") - Casey looked smooth! I was also happy to hear that he was on key this week (although it's hard to miss notes on a song like that). However, I still wasn't into it. I blame the song choice. You have to have a lot more charisma than he does to make that song interesting. Casey and I are officially through, methinks!

Haley ("Beautiful") - I was actually a little disappointed. Perhaps it was because out of all the contestants, I was expecting the most from her on Carole King night. That said, she was still good - she just wasn't as good as last week. I rolled my eyes when Steven proclaimed that her singing had made him "see God." Overpraise much??? PS I see the cameramen are still happy to position themselves so that they are almost shooting up her skirt.

Bottom Three: Jacob, Casey, Lauren

Going home: Do I have to say it again? JACOB! PLEASE!

BTW, what did you guys think of the duets? That one with Jacob and James and their "fight" over J-Lo was freaking hilarious!

TimothyBFan
04-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Just watched the last 5 minutes to see who was leaving.....Poor Casey!!! I really enjoyed him.

MikeA
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Once again, America hits the wrong one. This is as screwed-up an American Idol as I've witnessed though I haven't watched it much this year.

Brooke
04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, I wasn't disappointed that Casey went, but I still would have preferred to see Jacob go. Did you notice his outfit was a little more sedate last night? LOL! I just do not like Casey's mannerisms and growls. :yuck:

I kind of liked the duets, but prefer them performing alone.

sodascouts
04-29-2011, 12:01 PM
I wasn't sad to see Casey go because I didn't think he was that great, but I'd have preferred Jacob to leave. Surely he can't make it much farther??

MikeA
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Casey has never been "my pick" but he was head and shoulders above Jacob. I just don't like that guy.

WalshFan88
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I really liked James' latest performance. Even though I prefer his Heavy Metal or Saturday Night's Alright type hard rock singing, him singing that song just showed his great vocal range.

Troubadour
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
James is still my favourite. His performance of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow was incredible - the beginning part really showed what an amazing voice he's got. I love the fact that he has a vision for a song and just sticks to it. Love that guy!

I've loved Scotty from the beginning but I was really impressed with his performance of You've Got A Friend. He toned it down and delivered some beautiful vocals and a really accomplished, mature performance. I can't believe he's only 17.

I'm a fan of both Lauren and Hayley. Love Lauren's country sound and I enjoyed seeing her confidence come through in the last performance and when Hayley rocks, she really rocks! Love that rasp in her voice.

I thought Jacob would go. Even though I think he has an INCREDIBLE voice, I got the impression the past few weeks that America was almost ready for him to leave the competition. At the same time, I wasn't surprised when Casey left. I think he's wonderful, but he's like Marmite - I can see how people might not take to him. Having said that, he's a true artist - I love his individuality - and I'm sure he will have a career in the future.

sodascouts
05-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Ack, not a good night on the whole for our Idol contestants! Of course, you'd never know it by our effusive judges and their exorbitant praise. It's getting ridiculous! (Speaking of judges, what was Jennifer wearing?? She looked like she'd just escaped from a cult in that odd white high-necked garment with the big white flower in her hair.)

James ("Closer to the Edge") - Sounds out of breath and ragged on the first number. Even the screech was flat. One of his worst performances.

Jacob ("No Air") - I get that the song is hard to sing but all those missed notes just made me wince. If it's too hard, don't do it!

Lauren ("Flat on the Floor") - rocked it! She wasn't perfect - kind of got breathy a couple times - but overall she sounded really good. Lots of energy, too! She seemed a lot more confident tonight.

Scotty ("Gone") - He had tons of energy too but his body movements are so awkward! Still, the vocal was good and it's nice to see him doing something different.

Haley ("You and I") - I like Haley better each week - maybe because she keeps sounding more and more like Adele, who I really like. Even though her voice slipped a couple times, it was still very well done.

James ("Without You") - I adore this song, but it's so very hard to sing, and I was nervous for James. He did well, but I wish he could have controlled his emotions a little bit better so that he could have hit it out of the park vocally. Then it would have really been a moment.

Jacob ("Love Hurts") - It started out nicely. I like restrained Jacob. I was into it until about halfway through when he went hog wild and started screaming "IT HURTS!" No, no, no, Jacob must go!

Lauren ("Unchained Melody") - What was that huge blue thing she was wearing on her hand?? It was distracting! Anyway, a beautiful song and well-done vocal despite a few flaws, but I didn't really feel the emotion there. It wasn't just the vocal - the arrangement took away a lot of the dramatic build of the song, too. The song fell flat, IMHO.

Scotty ("You Were Always on My Mind") - Another song I love. The vocal was fine but once again, I didn't really feel the emotion behind the song. Maybe he's just too young to really sell those lyrics.

Haley ("House of the Rising Sun") - She SMOKED. Loved it! Go Haley! I think she is now my favorite along with James.

Bottom Three: JACOB, James (based on tonight but he is still one of my faves), and Scotty. Of course, the one person who shouldn't be in the bottom three probably will be - Haley.

Who Needs to Go home NOW: Gee, hmm, I wonder... could it be... JACOB!!!!! Surely this time!

Brooke
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Well, I saw the first half of the show and was thinking the same as you, Soda, about it not being as good as the judges were saying. Really? :rolleyes:

James is my favorite and was just not impressed with either of his songs. I love the song Without You and he started out good, but lost it at the end.

And I was even liking Jacob's first song and part of Love Hurts, but when he starts moving around. Ick! I still want him to go, too!

Maleah
05-06-2011, 11:51 PM
http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2011/05/06/6599351-ex-idol-lusk-blaming-iovine-for-his-ouster?gt1=43001

This is exactly why I didn't like Jacob. He thinks he's so amazing that he just can't seem to comprehend that he sounded HORRIBLE on Wednesday!

Brooke
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm soooooooooooooooo glad he's gone.

sodascouts
05-07-2011, 11:25 PM
OH MY GOSH

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/06/lady-gaga-and-stevie-nicks-to-perform-on-american-idol-season/

:yay::yay::yay:

Prettymaid
05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Well I'll be...I guess I'll be watching the finale. ;)

Maleah
05-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Hmmm.....veeeeeery interesting! That's exciting! So if they continue the trend that they've had over the past few years, the contestants sing with a pro. So does that mean we get Haley/Stevie? Because if we do, I bet that will be amazing!

Brooke
05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Wow! Great news! :yay:

sodascouts
05-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Just watched these on MJ's Big Blog (http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-top-4-videos-and-recap.htm). My thoughts:

James ("Don't Stop Believin'") - this song was made for James. He looked great too. Terrific!

Haley ("Earth Song") - The song was kind of boring but her voice was good and I liked how she got into it. I think it was a mistake to backtalk the judges, though. Makes her look kind of immature. Oh well, maybe she'll get the pity vote because Randy's "Everybody was good except Haley" bit sure made me wanna vote for her (too late now though). I mean yeah, they praised her later, but still.

Scotty ("Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning") - He sounds like such a pro. It's so hard to believe he's so young. He put a lot of emotion into the song. His best performance of the show, I think.

Lauren ("Anyway") - This song didn't really do it for me but, as with Haley, it was a good vocal. She definitely seems more confident - good for her!

Haley ("I Who Have Nothing") - Excellent vocal once again. Haley continues to impress me. Side note: If her skirts get any shorter we'll see the lace of her panties!

Scotty ("Young Blood") - Yikes, no. Is it Scotty's fault I'm cringing because of his awkward moves or is it just that the song is really lame? Probably both. Either way, I wasn't feelin' it. BTW that bit with GaGa was really weird.

Lauren ("Trouble") - Love her being so sassy! Work it! She seemed to get as little thrown with the tempo changes, especially when she was running around, but it was hardly noticeable.

James ("Love Potion #9") - He blew the doors off that song! Excellent! BTW I think GaGa is into James. lol

Who's Going Home: I liked them all, but I think either Scotty or Lauren should go home. I'm afraid it'll be Haley, though, because she seems to be the only one the judges criticize.

PS Lady GaGa freaks me out. I like "Bad Romance" but she's too much flash and not enough substance. JMHO.

Brooke
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I thought James rocked the house! He was fabulous on both songs! I actually even voted! Twice!

I wasn't that impressed with any of the others last night.

And Gaga.........yikes! She's scary! I know she can sing, but.......And I thought she was a little much with the younger ones, Lauren and Scotty. Really!

I think Lauren or Scotty should go home. I just think they are too young.

And does anybody else think Steven Tyler is bored to death? He pretty much just sits there and says the same things to everyone.

WalshFan88
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
James needs to win this for sure.... Has that great rock voice!

I agree with Brooke that Steven Tyler does look bored though.

WalshFan88
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
WTH! James got voted off tonight. I'm definitely done watching the show... He is the best singer on that show... 70s Rock N' Roll voice, everything. :( :(

Stars
05-12-2011, 11:05 PM
What a BIG disappointment to have James voted off tonight! He was definitely my favorite to win, and I even voted for him several times last night. I have to say, I am at the point now where I don't even care who wins. This is so upsetting.:-(:sigh::weep:

EagleLady
05-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Part of Gaga's charm is her Over the top character, IMO It makes her unique.

sodascouts
05-13-2011, 01:28 AM
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!

Oh my gosh, this is so wrong!

I think I must be jinxing all my faves.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brooke
05-13-2011, 09:51 AM
James! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo! :scowl:

I was so mad last night. What is America thinking? The whole time James and Scotty were standing there I was watching James and he looked so sad. Then he said he had a bad feeling. Poor guy.

There's no doubt he had the best voice and was the best entertainer of the ones remaining.

If there's any good to come out of this, I did hear on TV this morning that he already had a recording contract. I hope that's true.

I don't even care about who wins now.

Prettymaid
05-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Okay, now are you all on Prettymaid's 'The judges are ruining this competition' boat?

I have not watched since about a week after Pia got voted off and it's not because I necessarily thought she should win. At that point it was still too early to tell. But what I was upset about was the judges using their save way too early. Don't they wish they had it back now!

These judges are on the show for a reason. Yes, America votes, but we should be looking to these judges for honest, sensible critiques. When they are so vague that everybody seems to be equally good they are not helping us divide the contestants into good, bad or improving. Simon may have been rude, but when he judged a contestant he was forthcoming and helpful. Somtimes Simon would say something and it was something that I hadn't been able to put into words but saw the same way. I enjoyed the entertainment value and the star quality of Jennifer and Steven, but they are not fulfilling their positions as judges. If you can't critique, get out of the chair!

sodascouts
05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess Haley would be my preference to win at this point, but since all my faves seem to get the ax, I imagine the winner will be either Scotty or Lauren.

NOT happy.

ETA: About the judgery - yes, they have been lame. I don't think we'll see Steven Tyler on here again next year. He already seems halfway checked out.

Troubadour
05-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I am gutted James went home. :( The poor guy looked so upset!

Having said that, I couldn't have picked between the others. I like them all.

sodascouts
05-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Just heard - Stevie's representative has said that Stevie is NOT going to be doing the American Idol finale after all. She had to back out because it conflicts with her special birthday show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles (the one I'm going to). She will, however, be performing on Dancing with the Stars on May 17, as I put in her thread.

Prettymaid
05-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Too bad.

sodascouts
05-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Just found out Haley will be singing songs from both Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac tomorrow! Hope she doesn't blow it.

sodascouts
05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I liked everyone tonight, but some more than others!

Scotty - for the first time, I was really feelin' Scotty. It was when he sang "She Believes in Me." I thought the song would be way too mature for him to sell but he nailed it. I also liked the other two songs he did, "Amaze" and "Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not" but the Kenny Rogers tune was by far my fave.

Lauren - my least favorite. It's not that she did badly. She was very cute on "Wild One" (although I wasn't all that impressed with "If I Die Young"). She just has the least distinctive voice of the three. I also think "I Hope You Dance" has been WAAAAAAAY overdone on American Idol, but that's not her fault.

Haley - I love her voice, but this was not her best night. Falling on the Led Zeppelin song "What Is and What Should Never Be" won't hurt her; people find that endearing. It might even get her pity votes. However, she held back on "Rhiannon" and made the song lose a lot of its power. You gotta go WILD on that song - that's what made it so memorable live - like this performance (http://youtu.be/MtPyk8_onO8), for example (By the way, Haley looks a lot like 1981 Stevie (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/images/SNicksInsider.jpg), which is when Jimmy Iovine was dating her. Little wonder he wants Haley to do a Stevie song lol). She nailed the choruses of "You Oughtta Know" but faltered at the verses.

Despite all this, I want Haley and Scotty to stay, and Lauren to go home.

PS Beyonce's new song is awful!

WalshFan88
05-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I have stopped watching AI after James got booted but I will watch it when Aerosmith does their show on there. They are one of my VERY favorite bands.

sodascouts
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Bad news Austin....

http://news.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view/2011_0514aerosmith_nixes_idol_gig_band_wont_back_u p_stevens_fox-y_promise/srvc=home&position=also

WalshFan88
05-18-2011, 10:50 PM
:-(:-(:-(

I saw them in Peoria a few years ago but that was before I even got into music (let alone their music) or played music. My parents took me to it as my first concert. I barely remember it. :( They are one of my all time favs.

I find it interesting about Joe Perry and him being upset with Steven. Those two are like brothers, constantly fighting but yet when you put them together you get some of the best music of all time. Joe Perry should write a book. He's one of my other favorite guitarists and is one of the "coolest" IMO out there and by that I mean his guitar playing and stage presence. He's a rockstar.

Brooke
05-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I thought everyone did very well last night and liked most of the songs they sang.

My favorite is now Haley. I thought she rocked Led Zep and I liked Rhiannon, but thought she could have rocked it up a bit. She really did well keeping it going when she fell, poor thing. I think she should be the next AI, since James is gone.

I actually liked Scotty this time, but I don't think he has the presence to win. There's just something missing.

Lauren was good, but she doesn't have 'it' either.

My vote to go out tonight is Lauren. Cute as she is, she's not ready.

I second that Beyonce was awful!

sodascouts
05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Sigh. My fave goes home again. Now i don't know who to vote for. I prefer Scotty but it would be nice to have a girl win. Still, no matter who I root for, I have a feeling Scotty will take it.

Brooke
05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, obviously I know nothing! Haley got the boot! Did you see how shocked she was?

I just don't see either of these kids being big money makers. They can sing for sure, but......

I give up on Idol. :enraged: The real reason I watched was to see Steven Tyler and he was pretty much a disappointment. He looked completely bored most of the time. He couldn't think of anything to say. I bet he won't be back next year.

I think the kids won because the kids are the main ones voting. They are going to vote for their own no matter what. :thumbsdown:

sodascouts
05-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know about that. In the past, they've had young contestants who have been voted off before older ones. In fact, the most recent winners have been men in their 20s. We haven't had a teen winner since 2007.

Still, they allowed internet voting for the first time this year. Maybe that skewed the demographics.

Speculation can be misleading, though. Remember all the accusations about how all the votes were coming from young girls who were voting for their fantasy man? Now, that's obviously not true (unless awkward Scotty is your fantasy), but not long ago many people were positive of it!

However, I too am disappointed at the two finalists. There must be a lot more young country fans than one would think, that both of the teenage country singers got the most votes.

I will say that Scotty, if you were just listening to him instead of looking at him, sounds like a professional country singer on the radio. I think he actually does have a chance of being marketable with a little bit of coaching on how to be less awkward. That can also come with age.

I also agree about Steven Tyler being a disappointment. He could barely muster up the appearance of interest, and if you took a swig of an alcoholic beverage every time he called a performance "beautiful," you'd probably be on the floor by the end of the show.

He might be back, though, if they offer him enough cash. It's a lucrative, easy gig compared to touring!

Prettymaid
05-21-2011, 08:28 PM
I can't believe how this year's Idol has gone. Again, I blame it on the judges who don't critique clearly and concisely. I stopped watching weeks ago and sorry Steven, but I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. :eyebrow:

sodascouts
05-21-2011, 08:45 PM
It's true the judges were lame, but does America really need to be told how to vote? People like who they like.

Prettymaid
05-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I think you're right to a point, but then why have judges on these shows at all? I guess I used to like it when I thought a performance was this or that and then a judge/judges would confirm it. They're in 'the business'. They're supposed to be giving helpful comments to the contestants - therefore helping us judge as well, and then vote.

WalshFan88
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I kind of liked having Steven Tyler on the show. He's one of the best vocalists of all time, and having him on there I think really is a good thing. It doesn't get much better than Aerosmith for music.... They are the Eagles of Hard Rock.

Now as far as the other two judges, I fully agree.

Brooke
05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Well, I really love Steven and his music and I am disappointed with his performance on AI. Now, if he decides to get back with Aerosmith and tour, you can bet I'll be going to see them if at all possible. They are (were) fantastic in concert!

The only one that really gives advice this year is Randy. Can you imagine what Simon would have said about some of these performances?! :lol:

WalshFan88
05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I liked him being there as he has more musical knowledge than any of the rest IMO since he has the experience of recording, playing, and all of that. Maybe he doesn't want to hurt the contestant's feelings. Simon was too harsh and a bit of a you-know-what, I think. Randy is a good judge I agree. He's honest but yet does it kindly. Simon was out for blood and didn't care about hurt feelings. Randy has the right amount of honesty and kindness. But Simon was just plain cruel and I'm glad to see him gone... Just my .02c though. :hilarious:

Also, I LOVED Steven's performance tonight with "Dream On" - best performance of all season! ;) He's a "true" rockstar.

WalshFan88
05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Scotty won!

IMO the only one worthy of the title "American Idol" is James Durbin. He can sing ROCK N' ROLL! :singer:

Prettymaid
05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Scotty won!

IMO the only one worthy of the title "American Idol" is James Durbin. He can sing ROCK N' ROLL! :singer:

Was last night the finale?

WalshFan88
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Was last night the finale?

Indeed! :)

sodascouts
05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
So - Scotty won! Well, if you'd have asked me at the beginning, I definitely wouldn't have had him pegged as the winner. However, apparently he struck a chord with enough people to make it through. I believe this is Idol's first male country singer winner. Best of luck to him!

Troubadour
06-01-2011, 06:32 AM
I'll admit, as much as I liked Scotty from the beginning, I didn't think he would win until the last minute. I am thrilled for him, though! He's a great kid with an incredible voice, and he has a lot of charisma and cool. He's only going to get better and better.

Annabel
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hmm this remids me that I still have the end of the finale recorded to watch. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
I don't know where else to post this but I just read that Steven Tyler will be making a return to American Idol. :partytime: I know some didn't like him as a judge but I think it'll be better next time.

Maleah
08-12-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm glad he's returning, I really enjoyed him on the show!

As some of you know from my facebook, my sister, niece, and I went to the Idol concert in Minneapolis last week. It was AWESOME!!

Pia was very good vocally but has no stage presence. Still, she's so amazing vocally that it overshadows that. lol She sang her new song and the "New York" song.....by Alicia Keys is it? Not sure. She opened the show.

Stefano and Pia did a song called "California King Beds" together that was by far the best of the night. I thought she would REALLY overpower him but I have to say, he was the suprise of the night! He has grown so much since the show! He's completely comfortable on stage, his voice is strong, and he sings harmony VERY well! He also sang Bruno Mars "Grenade" and the Usher song about DJ got us dancing all night long or something. lol

Paul was so much fun...he makes me smile just from watching him smile. lol The only song I really remember him singing is Maggie Mae but I'm sure had sang another one. Him and Stefano were the first ones to really get the crowd into it.

Casey was fantastic....I just love him. He sang Rob Thomas/Santana's "Smooth" and started with just him and his upright bass. After the first chorus the whole band joined in and it was great! He also did the Maroon 5 song that he did on the show and the jazz song that he did with Haley. His growls didn't seem as annoying in person. :P The crowd loved him!

James had the coolest entrance because he came in from the back and walked through the crowd with security. However he had the WORST outfit! lol He probably could have done without the MAJOR smudged eyeliner too. lol He looked like he had two black eyes! He was spot on though! He did "Sweet Child O'Mine" and Muse's "Uprising." He sounded just like Axl Rose on his cover of GNR's song and really rocked the second one too! He's obviously a complete natural.

Jacob failed miserable at his first song honestly. Was off for most of it and tried hitting the really high notes but those were off too. His second song was great though!

Haley was AWESOME! Her voice live is absolutely stunning, it really is. She is another one that is a complete natural on stage! She started acapella on "House of the Rising Sun" and also did "Benny and the Jets," which the crowd LOVED!

Naima was actually pretty good too and holy cow is she in shape! Pretty sure she had a six pack....at least it looked like it from where we were at. lol! She sang that Jennifer Lopez song that debuted on the show.

Thia sounded really good but it was really obvious that she's so young. She just didn't have any stage presence, but then again....neither did Pia and she's older. Unfortunately I don't remember at ALL what Thia sang. lol But she's good at harmony! Her, Stefano, Haley, and Pia were singing backup for the other Idols all night.

Lauren was honestly the most disappointing for me, pretty much because I was really expecting her to be amazing. I think I always expect her to sound like she did on her audition with the Steven Tyler song and she just never sounds the same. It's not that she did bad, because she didn't at all! She sang Carrie Underwood's Flat On The Floor, her own single Like My Mother Does, and The Band Perry's If I Die Young. She did good on all three, but then her and Scotty did "When You Say Nothing At All" and she completely butchered her harmony parts. It was bad! She's likeable though!

Scotty....what can I say about Scotty. The screams were absolutely DEAFENING! Wanna guess what he came out singing? That's right...."baby lock them doors and turn the lights down low." haha He was very good though! Very smooth and spot on. I was kind of suprised!

Over all it was a fantastic show! I love going to this every year! You're always suprised by how good everyone is live and which ones really stand out. For me, if I were to rank the standout's, they would by far be Haley, Stefano, Pia, Casey, James, and Paul.

Brooke
08-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you had a great time Maleah! Thanks for the review! :thumbsup: