PDA

View Full Version : NEW SHOW: "Play That Rock'n'Roll"

RamboIV
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey folks, as you may remember, I introduced myself to this board two years ago by posting a "Eagles: A History & Critique" series. Eventually, Henley's copyright hounds deleted it from youtube and now the only place you can see it now is on facebook (and you really have to search, too) or on metacafe... I think.

Looking back, I find these episodes to be unwatchable. It's a good snapshot of where I was as a filmmaker back then and the process really did teach me how to edit a "documentary" like that. And it helped me to form a structure for a show that I really enjoy. So, I'm bringing the form back in a new series entitled "Play That Rock'n'Roll", which takes a look back at albums and artists of the classic rock era. I've completed the first episode - which analyzes the career of the Steve Miller Band.

As you all are music fans (plenty of Steve Miller fans here I imagine), I'm very curious to get some feedback and/or constructive criticism from you folks on whether or not this show is put together in an entertaining fashion.

It's in two parts - the first deals with his beginnings and rise to success in the 1970s, and the second deals with his decline in the 1980s and current status.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iixnca5CeZw

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJBUxeURAg

Episode 2 will deal with JOE WALSH, and I hope to release that in early February.

One last thing, the other videos on that youtube channel are episodes from my other show, "B-Movie Roll-Out", which takes a look back at goofy action movies from the 1980s. Check it out if you're into that kind of thing. Thanks!

sodascouts
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I think these are done well overall. I didn't know much about the Steve Miller Band so it was informative for me.

For the 3 Best / 3 Worst bit, what are you gonna do when you have an artist that hasn't put out 6 albums? Like Glenn Frey, for instance? ;)

Clever and witty commentary. Is there a way to normalize the volume? I noticed some parts were louder than others. Good job editing the interviews to fit with what you were talking about.

RamboIV
01-23-2011, 04:13 AM
I think these are done well overall. I didn't know much about the Steve Miller Band so it was informative for me.

For the 3 Best / 3 Worst bit, what are you gonna do when you have an artist that hasn't put out 6 albums? Like Glenn Frey, for instance? ;)

Clever and witty commentary. Is there a way to normalize the volume? I noticed some parts were louder than others. Good job editing the interviews to fit with what you were talking about.

Glad you liked it Nancy! As far as Top3/Bottom3 goes, if an artist has less than 6 albums, I'd probably rank them from best to worst, or perhaps drop the segment. Maybe rate the Top3/Bottom3 singles or something. The real question is, what do I do if I review Bruce Springsteen, the Eagles, or the Rolling Stones, who have either too many albums to choose from or so many albums that could be considered "one of their best". Because of this, I probably will not review major, major groups such at those. There would be simply too much to talk about. The Joe Walsh episode is next, as I was thinking I may do a "Glenn Frey / Don Henley solo career episode", and just look at the solo output of those guys together. But that would be off in the future. I don't want to give anything away just yet, but Episode 3 WILL NOT look at just one artist and it's going to be a riot!

Regarding the volume -- I need to be better at editing that. Because I use so many different clips, the volume is just naturally off balance, so I need to go back and check the clips better.

Also, folks, THIS would be the time to send me / post videos of Joe Walsh interviews. I have a few recent ones, and a few when he was drunk off his ass in the 1980s, but that's it. Anything helps. Thanks!

Freypower
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
, what do I do if I review Bruce Springsteen, the Eagles, or the Rolling Stones, who have either too many albums to choose from or so many albums that could be considered "one of their best". Because of this, I probably will not review major, major groups such at those. There would be simply too much to talk about.

You could easily review the Eagles' albums. There are only 7 studio albums plus the live album (I don't know whether you would include Hell Freezes Over or not - if so that still only makes 8 plus Eagles Live). I wouldn't think you would be reviewing all the compilations they have released. The 'so many albums could be considered one of their best' thing is a separate issue & my advice to you would be to go with what you think.

RamboIV
01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, I actually may do an episode in regards to the Eagles, but it may just be a re-cut of my Eagles: Review & Criticism series, but I'm not sure yet.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Just got around to watching this, Joe. I enjoyed your review. I like a lot of Steve Miller's stuff, but totally not Abracadabra. :grin:

sodascouts
01-29-2011, 12:20 AM
"Abracadabra" was the only Steve Miller Band song I knew for a long time. Hence my ignorance of "Jet Airliner" at the House of Blues show last year. :blush:

Prettymaid
01-29-2011, 05:39 PM
"Abracadabra" was the only Steve Miller Band song I knew for a long time. Hence my ignorance of "Jet Airliner" at the Roxy show last year. :blush:

Oh...you mean Keep On Carolina? I love that song! :wink:

sodascouts
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
You have a good memory, PM! lol

RamboIV
02-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Good news folks! The script for the Joe Walsh episode is complete! I will be collecting and archiving clips this weekend, and recording sometime next week. Editing will follow that and I should have the episode done well before the end of the month. Following that, I have some ideas for later episodes, but I'm curious to know what people would like to see. Here are some of the ideas I have floating around in my head at the moment (excluding surprise Episode 3)

1) 1988: The Year in Music
2) Pink Floyd The Wall (album AND movie)
3) Heavy Metal (album AND movie) - also would discuss Felder's "Airborne"
4) Don Henley / Glenn Frey SOLO careers
5) Creedence Clearwater Revival / John Fogerty
6) Journey / Steve Perry
7) "Beverly Hills Cop" Trilogy soundtracks
8) Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler

They are currently ranked in the likelihood of me doing them. What do you think? Suggestions?

Also, this show will probably go on hiatus halfway through Spring as I plan to return to my B-Movie Roll-Out show. I want to make 5 episodes of PTRnR before I do that however.

Freypower
02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Please do Dire Straits/Knopfler. Please.

Obviously I'd like to see the Frey/Henley solo careers & CCR/Fogerty.

sodascouts
02-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd split up Don and Glenn into two shows. You could definitely get enough mileage out of each for a whole show.