PDA

View Full Version : Country Covers?

sodascouts
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
After reading that bit whitcap found today about Don starting to record his country album, it made me think about what songs he might choose to cover. I kind of got the feeling from what he's said that it might be a lot of old school country, but just for fun, what country song would we like to see him cover?

One I thought of was "The Gambler" - perhaps a new version that's a duet with Kenny Rogers if Don is so inclined, or just straight up solo. Don may no longer gamble literally but the metaphor would still work. I bet he would sound great on it.

Now I know not everyone who posts here is hugely familiar with country music, but does anyone else have any ideas about what they'd like to hear Don do?

Troubadour
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I would give anything for his live version of Too Far Gone (Emmylou Harris) to be included on a CD. Of course, if he wanted to record it in the studio, that would be fine, too. ;)

I'd love to hear him sing I've Seen Better Days. I know it's a duet, but I would love to hear how he'd do George Jones's parts. I love that song - and George's vocal - to death, and I reckon Don could do a pretty good job of it.

I'll come back tomorrow and think of more when I'm not as tired! I love country music.

Molly
01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
I think he'd sound great covering Willie Nelson's "You Were Always on My Mind."

Troubadour
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Wow... How often did I use "love" in that last post? :shy:

sodascouts
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I have that problem too, Troub! I also tend to overuse "great" and "awesome" when discussing our guys. We need to come up with more varied verbs and adjectives. ;)

You and Molly have some great suggestions! I thought of a couple more as well:

George Strait's "Amarillo By Morning" - love that song, and not just because we have a member by that name, lol. Plus, it'll remind everybody he's a Texan and therefore legit. ;) "Baby Blue" requires a lot of emotion but Don is always able to deliver that in spades, so I could see it working for him as well. ("All My Exes Live in Texas" is more suited for Glenn. :twisted: Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Don covering Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" would be pretty appropriate - plus it's a great song.

The Gaitlin's "All the Gold in California" would be deliciously ironic, although it's obviously suited for a group rather than a single singer. Still, he could bring in some other folks.

JD Souther's "Last in Love" is very country and very moving, and since Glenn co-wrote it, it would be especially cool.

Maybe one of Ronstadt's older songs as a nod the past?

OK, so that was more than a couple, lol. I have to admit I'm pretty intrigued to see what Don will do!

Prettymaid
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
How about Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell? I love that song and Don's raspy voice would put a new spin on it.

Behind Closed Doors by Charlie Rich - how sexy could Don make that one!

Brooke
01-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Very good ideas, guys! I'm not good at coming up with these things, but I like yours! :thumbsup:

Annabel
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm liking these ideas too. :razz: Is "it don't matter to the sun" country enough to go on this album. :) I like that song a lot. :thumbsup:

Troubadour
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I bet Don could do a seriously sexy and heart-tugging version of George Strait's Living For The Night.

Freypower
01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
This is just me but I would rather he did more obscure songs. I love Rhinestone Cowboy & Wichita Lineman but Campbell's versions are definitive. I think he is more likely to do bluegrass type stuff than chart hits. Because I know virtually nothing about it I can't make any suggestions.

Troubadour
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I get the impression that it is more old school stuff... Merle Haggard, and ballads like Too Far Gone and It Don't Matter To The Sun. That is only what I'm imagining though, based on Don's voice and his favourite artists. In this vein, I think Garth Brooks' If Tomorrow Never Comes could also be a great choice.

I tend to agree with FP that he would probably stay away from such iconic songs as Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy, but who knows! In a thread like this, it's fun to imagine. I would love to hear him sing Don Williams' (I'm Just A) Country Boy. That song is so romantic.

GlennLover
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Troub, I was just coming here to suggest that he might do a Merle Haggard song since he is a fan of Merle's. I was just reading an article that stated that Merle was one of the artists that Don would like to work with. :)

Freypower
01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I get the impression that it is more old school stuff... Merle Haggard, and ballads like Too Far Gone and It Don't Matter To The Sun. That is only what I'm imagining though, based on Don's voice and his favourite artists. In this vein, I think Garth Brooks' If Tomorrow Never Comes could also be a great choice.

I tend to agree with FP that he would probably stay away from such iconic songs as Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy, but who knows! In a thread like this, it's fun to imagine. I would love to hear him sing Don Williams' (I'm Just A) Country Boy. That song is so romantic.

I would also rather he recorded songs that he hasn't already sung. That would leave out the first two songs you mention. Let's hear something different.

cheryl
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Some of my choices would be George Jones's "The Grand Tour" and George Strait's "Nobody In His Right Mind" and one of Strait's early hits "If You're Thinkin' You Want A Stranger".
Don just has to include "It Don't Matter To The Sun". I did not know the song before I heard Don sing it live in Chicago; I was blown away the passion in his voice. Thanks to a fellow Border, I have a version of that performance.

tequila girl
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
:thumbsup:
Don just has to include "It Don't Matter To The Sun". It is rather good isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikfR_euM9Ls

Lou - I think i'd quite like to hear him do Country Boy too

sodascouts
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
I have no problem with him recording things he's sung live before but hasn't officially released. Not everyone sees him live or has bootlegs of his shows.

I kind of get the feeling he's going to go old-school as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get some Merle! In fact, this convo reminded me of a line from "They're Not Here, They're Not Coming":

"Well, it's a cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold
Post, postmodern world
No authenticity, no sign of soul
The radio won't play George and Merle"
So he's just gotta include a song by each of those guys!

Annabel
01-25-2011, 03:39 AM
So glad that "it don't matter to the sun" is still on you tube. Now if he does record it will it vanish too. :rolleyes:

GlennLover
01-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Got this Google alert: http://www.undercover.fm/news/13489-ronnie-dunn-and-alison-krauss-sing-on-don-henley-album

Ronnie Dunn of Brooks & Dunn wrote on Facebook that he & Alison Krauss have been in the studio recording with Don!

Prettymaid
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I bet Timothy is :jealous:. He really wants to work with Alison.

Brooke
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Cool news! :thumbsup:

tequila girl
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Got this Google alert: http://www.undercover.fm/news/13489-ronnie-dunn-and-alison-krauss-sing-on-don-henley-album

Ronnie Dunn of Brooks & Dunn wrote on Facebook that he & Alison Krauss have been in the studio recording with Don!

Well, I have to Thank You GL for this info and the link 'cos i'm ashamed to say i'd never heard of Brooks & Dunn (is that because i'm British or behind the times?) anyway.......I had a google and just bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Town-Brooks-Dunn/dp/B000URDE10/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296079545&sr=8-6 on i tunes I love it.... think Don will do very well with him! :thumbsup::)

sodascouts
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I remember back when I was in college at Texas A&M, I heard Brooks & Dunn played a lot. I even got their Greatest Hits. I can't wait to see who else is going to be on this album!

Peekaboo
01-27-2011, 03:13 AM
This is great news!! I can't wait to get my hands on this album. I will admit that I don't know many of the songs that have been mentioned here. I do know the names of the artists but not the songs. I don't dislike country but don't listen to it that often. If it's on I'll listen to it. I like the idea of Don doing songs that we haven't heard before but I also would love to have his versions on an album of songs that I have heard him do in concert. Just like that youtube vid of him singing I Don't Matter To The Sun, imo, his version of that song is breathtaking and I would love to have that on an album all clear and crisp without the audience voices in the background. New songs are good but I'm cool with already covered in concert songs.

Brooke
01-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Brooks & Dunn have been really big as a duo for like 20 years. They've usually won any awards in that category. They just retired last year. I assume they will go on solo, but I guess they might just retire completely. I can't imagine them quitting for good though. Sounds like Ronnie isn't ready to sit down. They have a ton of good songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Well - I am, obviously, thrilled at the possibility of a new album from Don. Of course, I'll take whatever I can get, but I hope the whole album isn't covers. Although I'm not a huge fan of country music, I can handle some of the newer stuff (ummm - the name Keith Urban is coming to mind :wink: ). Whatever he chooses to do, I've got a feeling Don will do us proud! :nod:

sodascouts
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Don said there would be some new stuff in an interview a little while back - it's possible the majority of the album will be covers, but they won't all be. I'm even more excited to hear the new songs than the covers.

Maleah
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm SO excited that Ronnie Dunn will be on the cd! He's got one of the best voices to ever come along in country music and I think he'll sound great with Don!

eaglesvet
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I remember back when I was in college at Texas A&M, I heard Brooks & Dunn played a lot. I even got their Greatest Hits. I can't wait to see who else is going to be on this album!

I don't think I knew you were an Aggie. My hubby was, as well, but I know before your time. I went out with him to his 10yr Reunion in 1993 (my one and only time in Texas.) We saw a game, and I learned all about the 12th Man. Gig 'em!

I would love if Keith was somehow involved in Don's country foray!

sodascouts
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think I knew you were an Aggie. My hubby was, as well, but I know before your time. I went out with him to his 10yr Reunion in 1993 (my one and only time in Texas.) We saw a game, and I learned all about the 12th Man. Gig 'em!

Yep! Graduated in 2000. My father and older sister went there, so it was kind of a (recent) family tradition. It wasn't until I started my PhD that I went to Purdue.

He would have had plenty of chances to talk to him about it in June!

Brooke
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Ooooooh, that would be fantastic! :nod: :pray:

Maleah
02-02-2011, 12:10 AM
That would INDEED be fantastic! And you know Keith would be absolutely thrilled, being as big of an Eagles/Don fan as he is! :thumbsup: