PDA

View Full Version : Australia Day

tequila girl
01-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Just to wish everyone "down under" a G'Day!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/carolwayne/HappyAustraliaDay-1.jpg

Brooke
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Happy Australia Day to everyone down unda!

I've been watching Oprah's visit to Australia. It looks like a beautiful country. I'd love to see the Great Barrier Reef and that bridge across Sydney harbor is quite magnificient.

Fp, thought of you during the show!

Glennsallnighter
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I've seen a few ads for Australia as well. Definitely worth a visit! Preferably in our winter, then we'll have summer - summer - summer!

FP, hope you enjoyed Australia Day as well!

Annabel
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Do we still get summer here. :hilarious: Think the last 3 have been pretty much a wash out apart from the odd bit, certainly have been when school holidays come round.. :rolleyes:

Happy Australia Day.

Freypower
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Good heavens, what an unexpected topic! For the record we spent it at my mother's place having lunch & Rosalind practicing her swimming before she starts high school next week.

In one way Oprah's visit produced some publicity. In another it was an example of how Australians need to be endorsed by foreigners before they feel good about themselves. The Australia Day address was delivered by Sir Michael Parkinson, an Englishman (for Americans' information he ran an interview TV show for decades). What does that tell you? And once again the Prime Minister & Opposition Leader ruled out changing the Union Jack dominated flag.

I honestly avoid talking about Australia on this board because what I would say would not mean much to most of you. I still hope someone willl visit one day.

sodascouts
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I certainly hope to return one day. Australia is a beautiful country.

Stars
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I would love to visit Australia someday. It's on my "Bucket List"! :nod:

Koala
01-27-2011, 02:20 AM
http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/fahne-australien_4.gif
Belated Happy Australia Day!

I wish I one day I visit Australia!:pray::pray::pray:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Happy Belated Australia Day from me as well.

I, too, would love to go "down unda" one day.

GlennLover
01-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I have relatives & friends that have lived in Australia for a while & they would go back there to live in a heartbeat if they could! It's on my bucket list as well!

Belated Happy Australia Day from me as well! What is the history of it, FP?

Freypower
01-29-2011, 05:59 PM
January 26, 1788 was the day Captain Arthur Philip landed at Sydney Harbour and claimed New South Wales for King George III. So to indigenous people it is 'Invasion Day'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_day

I am a republican & would prefer the national day to be whenever we finally become a republic but that day seems long distant. In recent times the celebrations have become ugly & jingoistic with people draping themselves in the flag & getting drunk.

tequila girl
01-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Well then FP, I apologise to you if you found my original post offensive :sad:

Freypower
01-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Well then FP, I apologise to you if you found my original post offensive :sad:

No, of course not! The graphic you used is really sweet. I was actually rather touched by it, to be honest.

tequila girl
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
That's alright then! :thumbsup: :) :hilarious:

Freypower
01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Here in NSW we refer to the Queensland Rugby League team as the Cane Toads. They call us the Cockroaches. :thumbsup: It's all in fun.

GlennLover
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that info, FP. Very interesting history. I can certainly see why the indigenous people would unhappy with the choice of this day as a national holiday.