PDA

View Full Version : "Play That Rock'n'Roll" Ep 2: Joe Walsh

RamboIV
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey folks,

As you may I know, filmmaking is a hobby of mine and it has been ever since I made "Eagles: A History & Critique" back in 2008. Well, Henley's youtube people took it down, but since then I've used the formula to create a new youtube show: "The B-Movie Roll-Out", where I make fun of and review old movies. I've been doing that show for a year and a half now, so I wanted to debut a new show that goes back to my classic rock roots, so I created a new show last month called "Play That Rock'n'Roll", which looks at albums and artists of the classic rock era. Episode 1 (which can be found in this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2944)) focused on the Steve Miller Band.

Episode 2 is about Joe Walsh, and I've just competed Part One of that Episode. You can watch it here...

http://bmovierollout.blip.tv/file/4803517/

Part 2 is not yet complete but it will be in a matter of days. I'll upload Part 2 to this thread as soon as it's done.

If you enjoy this series, I invite you to check out my other reviews which can be found on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/bmovierollout) or blip channel (http://bmovierollout.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc).

But most importantly, as I know most of you folks here are Joe Walsh fans, any feed back (*ANY*) is helpful to me. Please let me know what you liked and what you didn't so I can improve upon the show.

Also, SUPER THANKS to soda for sending me some of the material I used. I know it took me awhile, but I hope the finished product is worth it!!!

sodascouts
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Cool Joe! Well done! I see Stevie was incorporated, lol. What a honor Joe gets two parts. LOL at the beginning clip from the comedy skit. Appropriate. Although I would disagree about the a**hole comment! ;)

jdubfan
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
You know yer Joe, Joe :thumbsup: Very nice compilation of dates, facts and song tidbits. Nice use of Flock of Seagulls, I think it was for the new wave...
We all have our favorites and reasons for them. I agree with you on most points, except Barnstorm is one of my fav albums. I think it was a statement that Joe had to make to divest himself of the "hardrock" corner he felt pressed into, when he was truly much more complex and talented than just playing some power chords. He really started flexing his songwriting abilities here.
But Seriously is I believe is his most acoustic, but I love At The Station and the Weirdo, so I don't mind. To me Smoker's his best record, in an incredible stream of creativity in the Barnstorm-Smoker-SoWhat trifecta. Joe's varietly is one of his most impressive attributes, keeps things interesting for him and us.
All in all, very impressive effort. I could never do something like this, so I appreciate someone who can! Thanks, that was fun viewing.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Really good job again, Joe. Of course, by now you probably know that I don't agree with all of your opinions about the albums/songs, but this was well thought out and put together. The only criticism I had is the "a$$hole" comment - made me wonder why a guy would want to wear a tee shirt for a band with such a "rocky reputation". :-) But, overall, it was very entertaining and I'm looking forward to Part II. :rockon:

WalshFan88
02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Great job!

RamboIV
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey everybody, thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you've all enjoyed the video so far! I apologize for the delay on Part 2, but a computer virus halted my progress for the past week, so I'm only just now able to get back to work on Part 2. I'm currently about 40% done with it, and I'll either have it up online tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Also, a word of explanation on the "a$$hole comment". That line was a joke for non-Eagles fans. I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard someone say "I hate the Eagles, except for that Joe Walsh guy." or something like that. A lot of people just really don't like the Eagles. There's a reason there's that line in the Big Lebowski. So I figured I would write ONE line that would make an Eagles critic chuckle.

Also, depending on who you hear it from, all major musicians -(Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Axel Rose, etc) have stories floating around about how they've been jerks to people. Just comes with the territory, I guess.

sodascouts
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I wait impatiently, Joe! lol

RamboIV
03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey everyone, at long last here's PART DEUX of the "PTRnR - Joe Walsh".

http://bmovierollout.blip.tv/file/4828055/

Since finishing this project, I can say one thing for certain. I will not be doing another biographical episode for a long time. This episode AND the Steve Miller episode were incredibly lengthy projects - the scripts were each twice (sometimes 3x) longer than ANY other review I've ever done, so "Play That Rock'n'Roll" will be moving in a different direction for awhile. Episode 3 is a "Top 5" list, and after that I plan to move the show's focus onto specific albums (Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and the "Heavy Metal" soundtrack, for example), and I may do other things like "1988: The Year in Music" or something. Of course, I'm open to suggestions also.

I may return to do biographical pieces later on, because I have a lot to say about bands like CCR and Journey, but that won't be for sometime.

I will say that after I release Episode 3, I plan to return to movie reviews, so this series might go on a brief hiatus.

sodascouts
03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
I understand it must be very work-intensive, but the amount of time you take shows. Still, I can understand why you might want to take a break from it for a while.

I really enjoyed your Joe two-part episode and even though I disagree with some of your album assessments, I was thoroughly entertained. You did a great job, as always.

BTW it looks like Joe's original May date for the new album may have been a bit optimistic!

RamboIV
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure May is going to happen. It's so common for artists to announce release dates that are earlier than the actual release. Let's just hope we're not looking at a "Chinese Democracy" situation here lol.

I honestly wish the Eagles would take an extended break so Walsh could finish the album and perhaps play a few dates. He hasn't been out on his own since, what, 2007?

sodascouts
03-02-2011, 11:41 PM
One day the Eagles will take a break FOREVER so I'm not keen on them taking an "extended break" at this point!

But yes, the last time Joe did solo shows was 2007. I missed his show near me that year -for very good reason, but I missed it nonetheless. I hope one day I can see him live all by himself!