PDA

View Full Version : BBC4

tequila girl
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Hope you guys don't mind i've started a new thread for this, as it appears this Friday Night Music is a regular thing in the UK..

Tomorrow 24th Feb the line up is

9:00pm
Forever Young - How Rock 'n' Roll Grew Up
Documentary exploring how rock 'n' roll stars have coped with growing old after being symbols of rebellion from the genre's roots in the 1950s. The programme uncovers how artists have enjoyed comebacks in the 21st century, and examines what happened to the mantra `live fast, die young'. Featuring contributions by Iggy Pop, Lemmy, Rick Wakeman, Suggs and Alison Moyet. Narrated by Cherie Lunghi (http://javascript<b></b>:popup(86669022);)

10:00pm
Steve Winwood - English Soul
Documentary about the Birmingham-born singer-songwriter, founding member of the Spencer Davis Group and Traffic. During the 1980s he reinvented himself as a solo artist and released hits including Higher Love and Valerie. Featuring interviews with his brother Muff Winwood, Eric Clapton, Paul Rodgers, Paul Weller and Dave Mason (http://javascript<b></b>:popup(86669023);)

11:00pm
Carole King & James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour
Reunion concert recorded in 2007 at the Hollywood venue where King and Taylor first appeared as fledgling singers in November 1970. They perform a variety of their most popular numbers backed by the Section, the same band that featured on their albums Tapestry and Sweet Baby James almost four decades ago (http://javascript<b></b>:popup(86669024);)

12:00am
Classic Albums
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes The making of Damn the Torpedoes by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, which was recorded in secrecy in 1979 as the band members fought for creative independence with their record company. The programme examines how Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron Blair and Stan Lynch created their third album with the help of co-producer Jimmy Iovine and engineer Shelly Yakus, which occupied the number two spot in America for seven weeks and initially sold more than 2.5 million copies (http://javascript<b></b>:popup(86669025);)

Troubadour
02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
BBC 4 shows some great stuff! As does Sky Arts and Vintage TV (the latter is under the music category.) I stumbled upon a James Taylor concert on there the other night and recorded it.

Annabel
02-25-2011, 05:08 AM
:thumbsup: I thought they'd finished all the music on a Friday night stuff. Will make sure the PVR has room for all this tonight. Thanks. :partytime:

Prettymaid
02-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Some of these shows sound great!

TimothyBFan
02-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Would love to be able to see some of those! They sound great. Can we see them online somewhere I wonder?

Victim of Love
02-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Sometimes I'm able to pull up BBC broadcasts (replays) online. Just depends on what it is and what your web browser allows. Just go to the BBC websites, find what you're interested in and try it.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Carole. I would LOVE to see pretty much all of these! Ah - so much music - so little time! :-(

tequila girl
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
The First One - Forever Young was really Good (it's just finished).....Took me right back to my Youth! :eyebrow: :hilarious:

Annabel
02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
I recorded them all then when I sat to watch then I realised I'd seen most of them already. :roll: Still watched them again. :grin:

tequila girl
03-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Tonight's offering

9.00 Ron Sexsmith: Love Shines

Documentary charting the life and career of singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith, who has struggled to achieve mainstream fame despite his songs being covered by artists such as Michael Buble and Rod Stewart. The film follows him in the studio as he enlists the help of producer Bob Rock, hoping to record a commercially successful album entitled Long Player, Late Bloomer. Featuring contributions by his celebrity fans including Elvis Costello, Steve Earle and Feist

10.30 Songwriters' Circle

Fran Healy, Ron Sexsmith and Graham Gouldman Three singer-songwriters appear in concert at London's Bush Hall, performing a mixture of old and new material. Travis's Fran Healy plays vintage numbers Driftwood and Writing to Reach You as well as a track from recent solo album Wreckorder, Canadian Ron Sexsmith performs Whatever it Takes and Secret Heart, while Graham Gouldman of 10cc presents songs he co-wrote for the band. Last in the series

and the pièce de résistance

11.40 In Concert: Gordon Lightfoot

A classic concert by the Canadian singer-songwriter, accompanied by Red Shea and Richard Haynes. The trio perform songs including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, If I Could Read Your Mind and Steel Rail Blues

Annabel
03-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh Bottoms! I forgot about this and watched Graham Norton instead. :eyebrow: I like Gordon Lightfoot. (Still have an LP of his stuff)

tequila girl
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I missed it all too Melanie....I only wanted to see GL really, used to love him when I was younger! Hopefully be able to pick it up on iplayer though! :)

Annabel
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
:hilarious: What a pair we are. :rolleyes:

Prettymaid
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Love Gordon Lightfoot!

Annabel
03-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

Carole, it's on BBC iplayer if you haven't watched it already. :yay:

tequila girl
03-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Haha I was also just about to Thank Cathy for the reminder :thumbsup: but went off to check iplayer first! :hilarious:

Annabel
03-09-2011, 06:25 AM
:laugh: Great minds think alike.

I've just watched it. Twice. Great concert but no Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. :thud:

tequila girl
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Tonight's Offering 11th March

9.00-10.30
Blues Britannia: Can White Men Play the Blues?

Documentary charting the British love of the musical genre over a 20-year period from the 1950s. Contributors including Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Mick Fleetwood and Paul Jones comment on the inspiration provided by American artists such as Muddy Waters, how young white audiences came to love the music, and the increasing international dominance of UK-based performers as the 1970s dawned. Narrated by Nigel Planer

10.30-11.30
Blues on Later with Jools Holland

A compilation of performances by many of the greatest blues artists to have appeared on the show and Hootenanny specials since 1992. Acts featured include BB King, Bo Diddley, Eric Clapton, Seasick Steve, ZZ Top and Buddy Guy.

11.30-12.30
Blues at the BBC

Archive footage of blues performances from the past 50 years. Featuring famous songs by Son House, the Kinks, BB King, John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton, plus lesser-known tracks by Freddie King, Delaney & Bonnie and Long John Baldry.

tequila girl
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Rub it in for us here in the colonies that can't get those shows.......yet. You know I won't stop till I track them down and record for MY convenience.....:hilarious:

Awwww, you've made me feel guilty now :lie: :hilarious:
Don't worry i'm sure they'll turn up on the internet sometime soon!

tequila girl
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Irish Night Tonight

9-10pm

Christy Moore Live: Come All You Dreamers
Footage of a concert performed in 2008 at Barrowland in Glasgow by the folk singer and his accompanist Declan Sinott. The pair play songs including Missing You, Black Is the Colour, Pair of Brown Eyes and Ride On.

10-11.30

Folk Hibernia
The revival of Irish folk music, which 60 years ago was virtually unheard abroad, and how it has given the world a sense of Ireland and the country a sense of itself. With contributions by Christy Moore, Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains, Ronnie Drew of the Dubliners, Liam Clancy of the Clancy Brothers, Johnny Moynihan of Sweeney's Men and Shane MacGowan of the Pogues

11.30-12.30

Folk Hibernia at the BBC
A celebration of the finest in Irish folk music, featuring a compilation of performances from the BBC archives. Highlights include songs by the Clancy Brothers, the Chieftains, Christy Moore, the Pogues and Sharon Shannon

tequila girl
03-18-2011, 05:08 PM
The first song Christy Moore sang was "Before The Deluge!" :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know who Christy Moore is but she has good taste in songs! :nod:

tequila girl
03-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Cathy 'Christy' is a male Irish folk singer ;-)

Prettymaid
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Oopsie! :blush:

tequila girl
03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Oopsie! :blush:
Most men in Ireland who are christened Christopher become "Christy"

tequila girl
04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Tonight's Offering (Fri 15th April) Some of this might be of interest to Lou! :grin:

Transatlantic Sessions 8.30-9.00
Season 4 Episode 1 of 6
Featuring songs by James Taylor, Julie Fowlis and Dan Tyminski, plus instrumentals by Allan MacDonald, dobro ace Jerry Douglas and Shetland fiddle virtuoso Aly Bain

Robert Plant: By Myself 9.00-10.00
The singer discusses his varied life and musical career, including his upbringing in the West Midlands town of Stourbridge, his rise to stardom as the singer of influential rock band Led Zeppelin and his solo projects. The programme also reflects on his collaboration with country singer Alison Krauss, with whom he made the Grammy-winning album Raising Sand, and his reunion with virtuoso guitarist Jimmy Page

Robert Plant: Radio 2 Electric Prom 10.00-11.00
The singer performs tracks from his new album with the Band of Joy, featuring vocalist Patti Griffin and guitarist Buddy Miller, at the Roundhouse in London. The ensemble also re-interprets a selection of songs from Plant's time with Led Zeppelin, before being joined for a grand finale by the Oriana Choir

Robert Plant on Later 11.00-11.30
A compilation of highlights from the singer's performances on Later with Jools Holland, a show on which he first appeared in 1993. In addition to his solo performances, the programme also features the former Led Zeppelin frontman's collaborations with Jimmy Page, Strange Sensation and Alison Krauss, as well as footage from the 2002 Hootenanny, where he teamed up with Tom Jones, Jeff Beck and Solomon Burke

Legends 11.30-12.30
Thin Lizzy: Bad Reputation Documentary profiling Irish rock band Thin Lizzy, including archive footage, interviews and photographs. Formed in Dublin in 1969, the group hit a creative and commercial peak in the late 1970s with a line-up including frontman Phil Lynott and guitarists Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, but drugs and alcohol took their toll on the band

tequila girl
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
I have to admit to not really following Robert Plant since the end of Zep..........but having watched for the last 2 hours i've been pleasantly surprised........Very enjoyable!! :nod: :-)

Freypower
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
We watched all of the Plant shows a while back & they were really good.

Glennsallnighter
04-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Most men in Ireland who are christened Christopher become "Christy"

Or a peculiarly Dublin diminutive called 'Git' or 'Gitsy'.
We call our Christopher 'Chris' which is also very common.
Kit is also used!

tequila girl
04-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Tonight Friday 22nd April

The Making of Elton John: Madman Across the Water
9.00-10.00
The story of the Middlesex-born singer's formative years, including his childhood, his first break in the British music business and his rise to stardom on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1970s. As well as interviews with the singer himself, the programme also features the memories of colleagues and collaborators including lyricist Bernie Taupin and Leon Russell, with whom he worked on 2010 album The Union
Category Documentary

(They just mentioned his first time in America - 1 week at The Troubadour & meeting Leon Russell)

10.00-11.00
Elton John at the BBC

A selection of interviews, news clips and archive BBC session performances from throughout the singer's career, including footage from The Old Grey Whistle Test and Top of the Pops

11.00-12.05
Elton John: Electric Prom

The singer is joined by friend and mentor Leon Russell to perform songs from their collaborative album The Union, along with a selection of their most famous hits, at the Roundhouse in London. The duo are also joined on stage by guest singers Plan B and Rumer

tequila girl
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
I have to say i'm not a huge fan.....I have liked some of his stuff.....but this is really quite interesting! :applause:

See you when you arrive Judy!!!! ;) :-) :hug: