PDA

View Full Version : American Masters on PBS

tbs fanatic
03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Did anyone catch the American Masters series on PBS the other night. It was supposed to be about Singer Songwriters but it ended up being about The Troubadour and the artists (especially James Taylor and Carole King) who got their start there. It was very good. They talked to a variety of people including JD Souther, Jackson Brown etc. and they also had a snippet about the Eagles playing there and showed some old footage. Steve Martin told a story about Glenn saying to him. What do you think of the name Eagles for a band. Steve kept saying 'The Eagles. I like it.' and Glenn kept saying 'No. Not The Eagles. Just 'Eagles''. Steve claims that is, today, the bands correct name - 'Eagles' not 'The Eagles'.

MikeA
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I've heard that name qualification several times over the years. I think Glenn has made a point about it several times.

Now, I wonder if it would go unchallenged if a band made it big and Called Themselves "The Eagles"?

Freypower
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
It's 'Eagles' because that's what it says on all their album covers, merchandise etc. There is a band called Eagles of Death Metal. Any band who tried to use the name 'The Eagles' would be committing commercial suicide. Our Eagles may not officially use 'The' but most of the time that is what they are called.

sodascouts
03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought there was a consideration about an obscure older band prior to them being called "The Eagles" and so they went with just "Eagles" to avoid confusion and copyright problems.

Freypower
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
That's true; the original Eagles was a Ventures style instrumental band I think.

Prettymaid
03-10-2011, 08:26 AM
I purchased this DVD from Amazon after our own Troubadour gave us a heads up in another thread. It's great!

Troubadour
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm still waiting to see it! Haven't received my DVD yet, and I can't watch it on the PBS site because I'm in the UK. :(

Wildthyme
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
You can watch it on the American Masters website also...

American Masters: Troubadours (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/troubadours-carole-king-james-taylor-the-rise-of-the-singer-songwriter/watch-the-full-film/1798/)

tequila girl
03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Not here in the UK :unimpressed: :sad: :sad:

tequila girl
03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
You know what I'm thinking :censored: :twisted: :rofl:

Troubadour
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Cami, but that's the link I'd already tried - it's not available in my region. Never mind... I suppose the wait will only make it sweeter!