PDA

View Full Version : Love Rules

Freypower
03-01-2007, 02:46 AM
I just heard this song for the first time in I don't know how long (right after Bohemian Rhapsody) :) . I had forgotten how great it is. The theme of a young man too shy to tell his girl how he cares is perfect for the high school milieu in which the film Fast Times At Ridgemont High was set. He sings it beautifully. His vocal range is really something in this song. I suspect though I'm not sure that Tim sings back up. I would like to hear our other Don fans' opinion of this rarely heard gem.

glenneaglesfan
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I had to go away and listen to this again before replying. Luckily it's one I backed up before the computer crashed, but I hadn't listened to it in a very long time. It really is a very fine song and completely sums up the painfulness of young love. Don's voice is outstanding. I haven't seen the film, but I'll look out for it now.

Z
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
GEF, it's a fun movie and Timothy does "So In Love" for it.

DonFan
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for reminding me of this song, FP--I also think it is a gem. In addition to Don & Tim, Joe Walsh also has a song on that movie soundtrack. Everyone contributed but Glenn!

Freypower
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Felder did Never Surrender which also appeared on Airborne (one of his better songs). I still have my vinyl copy.

Perfect Little Sister
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Sammy Hagar did the theme song for FTARH.

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
One of my very favorite Stevie Nicks songs is also on there - Sleeping Angel. Gorgeous.

Love Rules is also terrific. It really spells out that high school insecurity well as well as shows off his vocal versatility.

SweetHolly
03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I love the song Love Rules. And yes, Timothy does sing background vocals on it. Love Rules is one of my favorite solo songs by Don. Also what do y'all think of the song Waffle Stomp which is by Joe on the Fast Times soundtrack?

Freypower
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't heard it for a long time because I don't play my old vinyl records. From what I remember it was a typical 'goofy' Joe song.

SweetHolly
03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I haven't heard it for a long time because I don't play my old vinyl records. From what I remember it was a typical 'goofy' Joe song.
You're right FP, it is a "typical goofy" Joe song. :D

sodascouts
03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm afraid Waffle Stomp isn't really a favorite of mine.

WS82Classics
08-13-2016, 10:45 AM
The oldest thread ever revived on here, by far. I do this strictly for the benefit of the newer users of this forum.

In addition to this being the 34th anniversary of the release of Henley's “I Can't Stand Still” album, today also marks 34 years since the release of the film “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” The film's soundtrack features contributions from all 'Long Run'-era Eagles members, sans Frey(though “I Found Somebody,” “Party Town,” or “The One You Love” would have been sturdy additions to the film score).

The best of the 4 Eagles solo songs to appear in the film score was easily Henley's song “Love Rules.” A beautifully sweet, tender ballad whose absence from his ''Can't Stand Still'' album is...conspicuous. I mean, Felder's and Schmit's contributions made it onto their albums of that time(and Walsh's hysterical “Waffle Stomp” would have fit perfectly on the “You Bought it—You Name it” album if he'd chosen to include it), so why not this one? A real curiosity...

This is the only video I could find of this song(Universal & Warner are notoriously antsy about the Eagles and their solo material), for those who might be interested in giving it a listen: https://vimeo.com/77269446

Ive always been a dreamer
08-13-2016, 03:36 PM
I like Love Rules as well, but I can understand why Don didn't include the song on I Can't Stand Still. To me, it doesn't seem to fit with the concept of the album. Even the ballads on the album are pretty mature and introspective, so Love Rules may have felt like a fish out of water on the album, IMO.

Freypower
08-13-2016, 07:13 PM
I think Love Rules sort of fits in with Johnny Can't Read- the insecure high school kid.

It's my second favourite Henley song after A Month Of Sundays.

Eagles7
08-14-2016, 12:43 AM
That's a nice song. It's back in the day before Don's voice was gravelly.