View Full Version : Fort Discovery Interview 2000

glenneaglesfan
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I found this on the net.

Soaring like an Eagle - Concert may have some surprises

Web posted March 31, 2000
By Steven Uhles
Staff Writer

The National Science Center's Fort Discovery is celebrating Masters Week with an Eagle.
Glenn Frey, a founding member of the California super group the Eagles, returns to Augusta for a concert Thursday at Bell Auditorium in support of Fort Discovery.
Mr. Frey performed last year in a series of intimate sets at Fort Discovery's Paul S. Simon Discovery Theatre.
"We had a fantastic time last year, so we decided we'd try this again on a grander scale,'' Mr. Frey said. "Last year we played three 35-minute sets for 250 people at a time. This year we're playing at the Bell.''
Playing in Augusta and at the Bell excites Mr. Frey for a variety of reasons, he said.
"Bell Auditorium is just laid out beautifully,'' he said. "We're bringing the same sound guy that we use with the Eagles, and it is going to sound so good in there. Also, it's Augusta -- it's James Brown. This is the home to one of the most soulful guys ever. It's going to be cool to play in his hometown.''
Corporate tables on the main floor are sold out, but balcony seats remain for $46-$66.
Mr. Frey said that playing at the Bell also offered him the opportunity to expand musically, bringing what he calls his "big band.''
"There will be 10 to 12 musicians on stage,'' he said. "We're bringing a horn section, female backup singers, the works.''
Although eager to publicize the event, Mr. Frey said he wasn't willing to show all his cards just yet, leaving some aspects of the show under wraps.
"There will be surprises for sure,'' he said wryly. "For one thing, you never know who you're going to run into in Augusta during Masters Week -- people who might want to jump on stage and play a little.''
While not committing to play another show like this in 2001, Mr. Frey said he would probably stay involved with a similar fund-raising event.
"I think my level of interest would be to help produce an event like this,'' he said. "Next year we might want to bring some other talent in, but I certainly would like to be involved. I always tell people that the people here are really nice and that makes this really easy to do.''
Mr. Frey also noted that the once and future kings of laid-back West Coast rock, the Eagles, might resurface.
"We just completed a series of millennium shows and are inactive until the fall -- Don Henley has some solo obligations to take care of,'' he said. "So we've decided to get together in September and decide what to do from there. That's how the Eagles operate now.''
He said this play-it-by-ear method of band activity works well because it allows the musicians more freedom and time with their families and alleviates some of the stress that comes from being in one of the most successful acts of all time.
"There is no personal stress really,'' Mr. Frey said, referring to the feuding that led to the band's demise in the early '80s. "It's a high-stress job because of the reputation of the band. Everything we do, we really scrutinize, really work hard on, because we want to maintain that reputation.''

On stage
What: Glenn Frey and Friends
When: 9 p.m. Thursday
Where: Bell Auditorium, 712 Telfair St.
Admission: $46-$66, balcony seating. Call 822-7700.

and the accompanying photo
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/augusta.jpg

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Interesting find - thanks for posting it, and the photo.

Freypower
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Here is the photo that was taken at the time of that event:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/Discovery.jpg

and the other photo in colour:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/SoloShow.jpg

sodascouts
03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I love that first photo where he's at Fort Discovery. I think it's cool how he does so much charity work for children.

glenneaglesfan
03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that colour version. Now I think I have seen it before!