PDA

View Full Version : Rod Stewart

sodascouts
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
We obviously have some big fans of his on The Border! I know I enjoyed seeing him with Stevie Nicks recently on the "Heart and Soul" tour. Feel free to Rave or Rant about Rod here! ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I had made a statement in another thread about how Rod Stewart's use of special effects and elaborate set/costume designs in his live shows seemed to be a gimmick to entertain people instead of letting the music do the entertaining. I realize that this is a somewhat controversial comment. First of all, to be fair, I have never seen Rod live so I am basing my opinion on just what I've read, seen, and heard from others.

But, here's a bit of a clarification on the point I was trying to make. Even though I am not a huge fan of Rod or his music, I certainly recognize that he is an immensely successful artist with an impressive catalog of hits. As I said in the other thread, the only songs of his that I really like are:

Maggie May (love it)
Tonight's the Night
You Wear it Well
Forever Young

However, just because I'm not fond of his music doesn't mean it isn't good, and that's is exactly the point I was trying to make. Any artist who has so many hits should let the primary focus of their show be the music. I'm not saying that he should not try to entertain his audience, but the "over the top" stuff is a distraction to me. JMHO

MikeA
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Maggie May:

Righto! Yes "Memories"! NO "Ain't gonna talk about 'em" <LOL> !!!!!

Freypower
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Rod would be a good subject for Rambo's 'sold out' show. Most of his early work is superb. After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people like Tom Waits & Van Morrison (I know that many people may not even know that Have I Told You Lately is by Mr Morrison; but I do).

A Top 10 for me would be all pre 1979:

1. Maggie May
2. You Wear It Well
3. Reason To Believe
4. Mandolin Wind
5. Sailing
6. You're In My Heart
7. The First Cut Is The Deepest
8. I Don't Want To Talk About It
9. The Killing Of Georgie
10. Drift Away

Most of those are either from Every Picture Tells A Story or Atlanting Crossing. 'Georgie' is from A Night On The Town & You're In My Heart is from Foot Loose & Fancy Free.

As a football supporter it's his fanatical support of Scotland that I find most endearing about him.

tequila girl
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Rod would be a good subject for Rambo's 'sold out' show. Most of his early work is superb. After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people like Tom Waits & Van Morrison (I know that many people may not even know that Have I Told You Lately is by Mr Morrison; but I do).

A Top 10 for me would be all pre 1979:

1. Maggie May
2. You Wear It Well
3. Reason To Believe
4. Mandolin Wind
5. Sailing
6. You're In My Heart
7. The First Cut Is The Deepest
8. I Don't Want To Talk About It
9. The Killing Of Georgie
10. Drift Away

Most of those are either from Every Picture Tells A Story or Atlanting Crossing. 'Georgie' is from A Night On The Town & You're In My Heart is from Foot Loose & Fancy Free.

As a football supporter it's his fanatical support of Scotland that I find most endearing about him.

What makes you think that? It's one of Van's most well known songs!

Freypower
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
It's well known to Van fans. It isn't necessarily well known to a lot of Rod Stewart fans that Van wrote it.

sodascouts
03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I have to admit that I didn't know that. :blush: Truth be told I'm not really familiar with Van Morrison's work, except for "Brown Eyed Girl."

WalshFan88
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I like some of his stuff although I'm not a huge fan...

I really like his music in the Faces. Especially their cover of "Maybe I'm Amazed". Stay With Me was one of the tracks I used to play when I was in a Classic Rock cover band. We had to drop it a full key because it was WAY TOO HIGH for me to even attempt to sing. So for those musically inclined, instead of A-B-D it became G-A-C. Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule covers that song in G-A-C too. It's a much more easier way. I hate to change keys from originals in songs but on that one we had to or just not do it.

I also like "Maggie May", "You Wear It Well", and "Hot Legs". I also used to play Maggie May in solo acoustic shows I would do or if I'd do an acoustic show with my friend Steve.

TimothyBFan
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I actually did know that about Have I Told You Lately, and not because of Van Morrison but because I'm a Rod fan. I also know that Van has written a lot of great songs that others have done (he's mentioned a LOT in Sammy Hagar's Red book). Anyways......

My favorite Rod songs are, in no particular order....

You Wear It Well
Cut Across Shorty
First Cut Is The Deepest
Maggie May
Young Turks
Forever Young
Have I Told You Lately
People Get Ready
The Killing Of Georgie
Downtown Train
Tonight's The Night
You're In My Heart
Some Guys Have All The Luck
Tonight I'm Yours

and I'm sure I'm missing about a dozen but these are off the top of my head.

After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people

I respectfully disagree! He had some great stuff after 1979, including some pretty big hits... Passion, Tonight I'm Yours, Young Turks, Baby Jane, Some Guys Have All The Luck, Every Beat Of My Heart, What Am I Gonna Do, to name a few. In my opinion, even his stuff he's put out by other people on his Great American Songbook cds is really good.

Brooke
03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I copied this over from the other thread.

I like him. Just not to the extent of some bands. My favorite songs of his would be:

Maggie Mae (hearing it always takes me back in time-great memories)
Reason To Believe
Tonight's The Night
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (it's just too funny not to like!)
You Wear It Well

And I must add You're In My Heart. Forgot about that one! Thanks for the reminder Willie.

Prettymaid
03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Willie, I'm glad you mentioned People Get Ready - I love that one.

Here's some more trivia - The First Cut Is The Deepest was written by Cat Stevens. :inlove:

I liked Rod's stuff until he became a crooner. Then he lost me. :hilarious:

sodascouts
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Some Guys Have All The Luck

Oh my gosh - I didn't realize he was the one who sang this song! I love it! Sure wish he'd played it at the show.

Freypower
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I respectfully disagree! He had some great stuff after 1979, including some pretty big hits... Passion, Tonight I'm Yours, Young Turks, Baby Jane, Some Guys Have All The Luck, Every Beat Of My Heart, What Am I Gonna Do, to name a few. In my opinion, even his stuff he's put out by other people on his Great American Songbook cds is really good.

Well there you are; you like his later period & I like his earlier stuff. Out of the songs you mention the only one I like is Every Beat Of My Heart (and that's mainly because it's about going home to the British Isles).

Actually when you look at my list of favourites half of them were written by other people. :fear:

Annabel
03-31-2011, 05:47 AM
I've only seen Rod play live once way back in 1980 (or close to) and he was fab. So much energy then, not sure what he's like now. :laugh:

I've always liked his songs, whether written by him or not. Doesn't matter to me. BUT PM, I'm with you on the not being keen on the crooning.

sodascouts
04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I bought The Definitive Rod Stewart today and am listening to it right now. I didn't realize Brooke got the "Every Picture Tells a Story" thread title from a song!

sodascouts
04-02-2011, 06:11 PM
OK, after listening to The Definitive Rod Stewart a few times, I like the following songs enough to put them on my iPod:

Maggie May
Tonight's The Night
The First Cut Is the Deepest
You're in My Heart
Young Turks
Some Guys Have All the Luck
Love Touch
Forever Young
My Heart Can't Tell You No
Downtown Train
This Old Heart of Mine
Rhythm of My Heart
The Motown Song (Bring Over Some of Your Old Motown Records)
Have I Told You Lately
Reason to Believe

15 songs. Not bad!

Freypower
04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
If You Wear It Well & Mandolin Wind are on there you should give them another listen.

sodascouts
04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
They are, and I will.

Annabel
04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Love 'Mandolin Wind' and 'You wear it well' is pretty darned good too.

Wow, just noticed that I missed my 500th post. :laugh: I'm now a Border Rebel. (There are those out there who would totally agree with me being a rebel. ;))

Annabel
04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
:laugh: Thanks Judy.

I have a way to go to catch up with lots of others here. But chatting is something I can do ............well. On my craft forum I have 18,710 posts since July 06. I beat all the others including the administrator. :dizzy:

Brooke
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I bought The Definitive Rod Stewart today and am listening to it right now. I didn't realize Brooke got the "Every Picture Tells a Story" thread title from a song!

Took you long enough! :lol:

sodascouts
04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah, nigh on four years! lol!

Annabel - congrats on becoming a Border Rebel!

Prettymaid
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I have a way to go to catch up with lots of others here. But chatting is something I can do ............well.

:hilarious: Well we should all do what we know we do well! Congratulations!

Annabel
04-05-2011, 02:39 AM
:hilarious: Well we should all do what we know we do well! Congratulations!

:lol: Thanks PM and I totally agree with you. (My school reports show that so did a lot of my teachers ;)

Thanks Soda too. :smile:

tequila girl
04-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Congratulations Melanie!! :cheers:
You still have School Reports in existence?? I think I destroyed most of mine before they even made it home! :rofl:

Annabel
04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks Carole, and yes I do have them ...........though why I do I have no idea. :laugh:

sodascouts
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm giving Rod Stewart the "car test" today. If I'm playing it in my car and find myself singing along, I know the song is golden! ;)

04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm anxious to get the test results on this one! :)

And Annabel, congrats on becoming a Border Rebel from me as well.

Prettymaid
04-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm giving Rod Stewart the "car test" today. If I'm playing it in my car and find myself singing along, I know the song is golden! ;)

I hope I don't hear that you were singing along to Some Guys Have All The Luck!

:singer: SOME GUYS HAVE ALLTHE LUCK
SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE PAIN
SOME GUYS GET ALL THE BREAKS
SOME GUYS DO NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN

Well, I guess you could sing that last line...

Brooke
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
CONGRATS ANNABEL!

Keep on postin'! :computer:

Annabel
04-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks Dreamer. ;)

And Brooke, :stunned: That one woke me up :nod: and made me :lol: out loud. The dog thought I'd gone mad.

TimothyBFan
04-06-2011, 08:41 AM

And the verdict is?

sodascouts
04-06-2011, 10:35 PM
and the winners of the "golden" car songs are...

Some Guys Have All the Luck (hell yeah I bopped to that PM, I love it)
Love Touch (I think I'm the only one that likes this lol)
The Motown Song (Bring Over Some of Your Old Motown Records)
Forever Young
Downtown Train
This Old Heart of Mine
Have I Told You Lately

The others are all runners-up, though. ;)

And I have a new appreciation for Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. It sounds better in the car. Still not a huge fan but I can enjoy it!

TimothyBFan
04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
We made a hamburger run last night and while Hubby was in picking up the food, I sat in the car and Do You Think I'm Sexy came on my ipod. I thought about your "car test". :hilarious: I admit I was bopping up and down in my seat while waiting for Larry to come out. :unimpressed:

Prettymaid
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
and the winners of the "golden" car songs are...

Some Guys Have All the Luck (hell yeah I bopped to that PM, I love it)

Lol! I was actually trying to get a rise out of the male members of the board, but they didn't bite!

Your tastes are definitely different that mine when it comes to Mr Stewart, but hey - that's what makes things interesting!

sodascouts
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I think my "child of the 80s" tendencies might be showing!

sodascouts
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Some Eagles-related trivia - I was reading the liner notes of my Rod Stewart CD case and it said that "The Motown Song" was written by Larry J. McNally, who also wrote "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance."

Prettymaid
04-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Interesting!

04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Hmmm - that's interesting little tidbit. And I must say, the song is quite a departure from I Love To Watch a Woman Dance and For My Wedding, which he also wrote.

sodascouts
04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Hmmm - that's interesting little tidbit. And I must say, the song is quite a departure from I Love To Watch a Woman Dance and For My Wedding, which he also wrote.

I really like it. Here's the song if you haven't heard it (starts about 30 seconds in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFyPxUnsyi0&playnext=1&list=PL168DB844B4C3DFBE

Topkat
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Rod Stewart will reunite with the FACES for the Rock & Roll HOF induction!
Can't wait to see this reunion!!!
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/faces-to-reunite-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

TimothyBFan
03-26-2012, 09:30 AM
This made me soooooo happy when I read this the other day!!!!!

Outlawman13
03-01-2013, 01:57 AM
Rod Stewart has always been one of my favvies. I love all of that man's songs for sure. I've been listening to him for a long time and don't know which song I love from him. His voice is so raspy and so fine. He is very good ear candy and eye candy. MMM