PDA

View Full Version : Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Pages : [1] 2

DonFan
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?&articleid=1210432&format=&page=1&listingType=musi#articleFull

This is a great email interview with Don in the Boston Herald. My favorite part:

"As for me, I’ve spent a few weeks in the studio, both in California and Texas, since the Eagles European Tour ended in late July. I’ve cut half a dozen tracks and we will record more in December, January and February. I suppose the work could be loosely defined as a country album. Some of it is very traditional, old-style country and some of it is not. There will be some interesting guest vocalists and players. I’d also like to mention that Timothy B. has a brand new solo album out."

YAY!! Looks like next year we will finally get that oft-promised solo album from Don. I can't wait! AND he gives a nice mention about Timothy's solo album too.

Let's see....another solo album usually means more solo dates, and by next year I will have worked long enough to get some paid vacation time so hopefully I can see a few solo concerts--with some of my favorite Border friends! It's all good. :nod:

Koala
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Don Henley Plans a Country Project

http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2010/09/16/don-henley-plans-a-country-project/

sodascouts
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Another e-mail interview with Don here:

"Don Henley Brings His R&B Soul to Fantasy Springs Show Friday" - The Desert Sun (http://www.mydesert.com/article/20100916/LIFESTYLES0101/9150363/Don+Henley+brings+his+R&B+soul+to+Fantasy+Springs+show+Friday)

It's quite short (just 3 questions) but there's an interesting nugget I hadn't seen before:

I am currently working, simultaneously, on two different album projects, one of which I hope to release early next year. One is traditional country, containing some original material and some covers. The other is a soul/R&B album. That's the kind of music I sang when I was a teenager playing in clubs in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

Not one but TWO albums? Not just a country album but an R&B album? Ambitious man! Let's hope both of these come to fruition.

Also;

I've long considered writing an autobiography, but it wouldn't be confined to my musical career. I've had an interesting and varied life, both inside and outside the Eagles.

I would love to read this! Yes, it would be biased as all such things are, but he's a fascinating man and I'm sure it would be a fascinating read.

TimothyBFan
09-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I love the idea of 2 albums, will probably buy both, listen to one and not open the other. ;)

And what I wouldn't give to read an autobiography from him or any of the current members. I hope this does happen and he tells the other guys just how fun it was to put his life story on paper for all to see. :thumbsup:

Susan
09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Found this article regarding Don's upcoming album. Contains a few quotes.

http://www.theboot.com/2010/09/17/don-henley-country-album-2010/

sodascouts
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Susan. It's great that there's so much buzz being generated about Don's albums even this early.

Koala
10-02-2010, 01:57 AM
http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/q-a-don-henley-651970.html

Q&A: Don Henley of the Eagles

sodascouts
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I enjoy working on two projects at once because one informs the other. Country and R&B share some basic elements. There will be original material and some covers on both recordings.

This is so cool. It reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham putting out two albums in as many years - one acoustic and one electric. Just record the songs at one time and put them on the album that fits 'em.

Ray Charles and Otis Redding, both native Georgians, had a profound effect on me.

Ooh, work the local angle. Smooth, Don, smooth!

(https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666)

AmarilloByMorning
10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Where have I been? Don's cutting a country album?!

Folks, take this as proof: there is a God.

sodascouts
10-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Heck, maybe he'll cover a George Strait tune!

AmarilloByMorning
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
My universe would implode. You'd see me on the Travel Channel's Top Ten Unexplained that they air every Halloween: Girl Spontaneously Combusts After Don Henley Pays Tribute to Fellow Texan George Strait. And if I ever hear him sing Amarillo By Morning, forget it - I'll just keel over.

Maleah
10-05-2010, 12:11 AM
LOL! I have to admit, I'm EXTREMELY curious as to what songs he would consider covering. If I had to guess, it would be the older stuff like Merle Haggard, George Jones, etc etc. I'm really excited about both albums though!

Koala
10-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Don Henley Ready to Build on Storied Solo Career with Two New Solo Albums

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5864682/don_henley_ready_to_build_on_storied.html

Glennsallnighter
10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Well this is very interesting, and I hope he has a big success with these two albums.

However I would argue about him being the most important member of the band. I would consider that accolade to be held jointly by Don and Glenn :heart:. I think the band could not function as a unit without the input of BOTH of these guys.

Maybe Glenn :heart: could also be persuaded to 'put forth' some new material and release a new album as well. I'm sure he has plenty to work with!

AzEaglesFan
10-09-2010, 03:36 AM
This weeks Country Weekly (Tim McGrew on cover) has a picture of Don and a short article about his country album. I don't remember seeing the picture before but he has on a suit so it is probably an old one.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the headsup, AEF. Can you scan the picture and post it in Henley Heaven? I'd love to see it and I'm sure a few others around here wouldn't mind either. :wink:

AzEaglesFan
10-10-2010, 01:50 AM
My scanner bite the dust long ago and I never used it enough to want to replace it. Sorry.

whitcap
01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Blog post about Don's new country album:

http://ashleymannonmusicrow.blogspot.com/2011/01/rock-n-roll-icon-records-secret-country.html

Apparently he started recording it a few days ago.

Brooke
01-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Good to hear it's actually in the making! Thanks!

sodascouts
01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Good find - glad to hear it's rolling along. So, he'll have country guest stars, eh? Can we count on Trisha Yearwood returning the favor? I also remember him doing duets in the past with Kenny Rogers and Reba McIntyre, both of which sounded great. Maybe even a Dixie Chick. You know, Stevie Nicks has said she considered being a country singer so it might be time for some reciprocity in that quarter as well. ;)

ETA: I wonder if he'd invite any of his old Shiloh buds to make an appearance, especially Bowden?

Koala
01-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Here a other article
Don Henley Working On Country Covers Album

http://www.undercover.fm/news/13472-don-henley-working-on-country-covers-album

Annabel
01-24-2011, 03:53 AM
:yay: So good to hear that Don's first solo is underway. Thanks.

whitcap
03-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Here's some info (http://ashleymannonmusicrow.blogspot.com/2011/03/exclusive-ronnie-dunn-leaks-new-details.html) on Don's new solo album.

tequila girl
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
You're not that far from Nashville are you Judy?

Get yourself staked out round them recording studios....Find Don!!!!!! :laugh:

pueblo47
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Nope, just about a 20 minute cruise down the interstate. I need to pay more attention to the entertainment section of the news. Like a duck on a June bug I woulda been had I known, heh heh heh.........

Brooke
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Ok, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that he's picked 7BR. Why do a song that the Eagles have done and do so beautifully? And have been doing recently in concert? Out of all the great, fabulous songs out there? I love 7BR. By the Eagles. I know Ronnie and Allyson will sound wonderful on it with him. They are both great singers, but........it baffles me. :headscratch:

Freypower
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
The first impression I get is that he chose 7BR for a vocal warmup:

So Don picks, of all things…"Seven Bridges Road"...alright...which is the song that the Eagles do acapella. And he goes, “let’s go try that.”

But it also says that I’ve recorded some Eagles’ stuff.

And Ronnie Dunn (who I've never heard of) talks later in the piece about 'cutting' the song.

You would have thought he would have wanted to do ANYTHING except the Eagles. If this is true, it is somewhat disheartening. There are a couple of other words that spring to mind, actually. If he wants to play his Eagles songs at solo shows, fine, but why record them?

And this is presuming that he's done songs on which he sang the original lead. But I won't go any further.

Freypower
03-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Ronnie Dunn was half of Brooks & Dunn, an American country music duo famous around the world. Recently broke up after years of recording, touring, winning all kinds of awards.

OK, I had heard of Brookes & Dunn. :confused:

sodascouts
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Here's some info (http://ashleymannonmusicrow.blogspot.com/2011/03/exclusive-ronnie-dunn-leaks-new-details.html) on Don's new solo album.

Cool! I really liked Brooks & Dunn in the 90s. Sorry to hear they've broken up.

As for the interview, I was kind of confused about what was going on there. It seems Dunn walked in and they decided to do Seven Bridges Road off the cuff, which made me think it was a warm up or something... but then he says they spent two hours on it, and he didn't talk about doing anything else, which makes me think that's what he was there to record. Plus, unless Don was joking or I'm misunderstanding, he approached Randy Travis about singing harmony on the song. That sure sounds like it's getting recorded.

If Don indeed is putting SBR on his album, I think it's a big mistake. It is a signature Eagles harmony song and - although I like Ronnie Dunn - he and Alison Krauss aren't the Eagles. I'm afraid the song will pale in comparison to the "real deal."

By the way, Krauss is sure making the rounds with the classic rockers, isn't she? lol

WalshFan88
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Interesting! :hmm:

Freypower
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Cool! I really liked Brooks & Dunn in the 90s. Sorry to hear they've broken up.

As for the interview, I was kind of confused about what was going on there. It seems Dunn walked in and they decided to do Seven Bridges Road off the cuff, which made me think it was a warm up or something... but then he says they spent two hours on it, and he didn't talk about doing anything else, which makes me think that's what he was there to record. Plus, unless Don was joking or I'm misunderstanding, he approached Randy Travis about singing harmony on the song. That sure sounds like it's getting recorded.

If Don indeed is putting SBR on his album, I think it's a big mistake. It is a signature Eagles harmony song and - although I like Ronnie Dunn - he and Alison Krauss aren't the Eagles. I'm afraid the song will pale in comparison to the "real deal."

By the way, Krauss is sure making the rounds with the classic rockers, isn't she? lol

That's how I read it & I agree with what you say; I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this. To put it mildly it shows a certain lack of imagination & an apparent disregard for the Eagles' legacy. But the quoted statement 'I've recorded some Eagles stuff' suggests that 7BR will not be the only Eagles song on this album. I say again; WHY?

sodascouts
04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Maybe he's "countrifying" some of their later rock stuff and changing it up? That could be interesting, even if it winds up sucking like that rap version of LITFL or the mariachi band version of Hotel California which have both mercifully been removed from YouTube. At least it would be something different.

I hope he's not just re-recording their country-rock tunes, which would leave us with nothing more than inferior versions of what we already have. If he's doing SBR, though, it sounds like that might be what we're getting.

Freypower
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I think it's fine to do revamped versions of old songs on stage. But this is supposed to be a 'new' solo album. I would rather it was comprised entirely of cover versions of other people's songs than this.

sodascouts
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
It reminds me of Randy recording "Take It to the Limit" and "Take It Easy" for his solo records. They were nothing compared to the Eagles versions (IMHO).

Freypower
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
It reminds me of Randy recording "Take it to the Limit" and "Take It Easy" for his solo records. They were nothing compared to the Eagles versions (IMHO).

OK... so in fact we have a precedent for this. Good grief.

Remember also that Glenn recorded Sea Cruise on No Fun Aloud after the Eagles had been playing it live. But this is re-doing Eagles songs.

EaglesKiwi
04-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Since there's already an album of Eagles covers (Common Thread?) - what's the point to doing it again? And why on earth would Don risk people saying his new version isn't as good as the Eagles' originals? :confused:

I was hoping the new album would introduce me to stuff I hadn't heard before!:worried:

Maybe they were just practising & checking out how the recording would sound... yeah okay, it was a lot of work to put into just practising... but I just have to be optimistic for as long as I can.

sodascouts
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Maybe they were just practising & checking out how the recording would sound... yeah okay, it was a lot of work to put into just practising... but I just have to be optimistic for as long as I can.

True, maybe we're getting concerned for no reason. Dunn by his own admission walked in there completely clueless and he could be confused or not expressing himself clearly about what went down in the studio because it was such an exciting experience for him (understandable). Dude even remembers the first three words of SBR wrong. No other interviews have mentioned Henley including Eagles songs. If SBR was just practice, though, that is indeed quite a lot of work to put into a song that won't appear on the album.

Like you, I will keep hope alive for now!

ETA: I went back and re-read the article (http://ashleymannonmusicrow.blogspot.com/2011/03/exclusive-ronnie-dunn-leaks-new-details.html), extra-carefully. I found these ending two lines interesting:

Ashley Mann: When do we get to hear it [Seven Bridges Road]?
Ronnie Dunn: I don’t know. It’s a work in progress. He’s still recording.

Does he mean he doesn't know whether or not it'll be on the album, or that he doesn't know when the album will be released, or both?

Also, did you notice Don texted him? I wonder if, like me, Don refuses to use text abbreviations and types out "you" and "are" and the like. Or did Don text "man u did a gr8 job. thnx 4 being so patient"? (Since Ronnie Dunn's interview was oral, we'll never know!)

Freypower
04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
To me that means he doesn't know the release date.

Unfortunately I thought the crucial line was Don being quoted as saying 'I've recorded some Eagles stuff'.

Glennhoney
04-02-2011, 06:25 PM
..PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...just don't "country up" Eagles songs....it's been done much too often already...even if they're done by Don...ugh!!:brickwall:

tequila girl
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Well.....all this conjecture is great.....but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.......a release date would be good..

Annabel
04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm with you. A release date would be great (and not too far in the future would be even better. :laugh: )

Brooke
04-04-2011, 09:34 AM
..PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...just don't "country up" Eagles songs....it's been done much too often already...even if they're done by Don...ugh!!:brickwall:

Agreed. Really Don, can't you think of something else besides Eagles songs? :doh:

I hope someone reads this thread and tells Don.

Annabel
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
http://ashleymannonmusicrow.blogspot.com/2011/04/exclusive-dolly-parton-sings-with-don.html

Don's recording with Dolly according to Ashley's site. Plus a bit more info on the album contents.

Ronnie Dunn told me that he recorded "Seven Bridges Road" with Don and Alison Krauss…LIVE and acapella. Ronnie also told me that Don has recorded some Country Covers, as well as some Eagles’ tunes…PLUS there will be some BRAND NEW songs on the album, too.

sodascouts
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Ronnie Dunn told me that he recorded "Seven Bridges Road" with Don and Alison Krauss…LIVE and acapella. Ronnie also told me that Don has recorded some Country Covers, as well as some Eagles’ tunes…PLUS there will be some BRAND NEW songs on the album, too.Well, I guess that settles it then. Unless, of course, Ronnie is confused (but why would he be?), or the final track listing hasn't been decided yet.

I hope someone reads this thread and tells Don.

Well, I think this is being done to attract people who might not otherwise buy the CD. Even if Don gets told that the hardcores are unhappy, the hardcores do not make up the vast majority of the buying public. Indeed, most hardcores will buy anything Don puts out anyway.

On the other hand, the inclusion of Eagles songs might attract the casual buyer. Look how well Common Thread sold (admittedly, that was almost 20 years ago). I think this is a business decision, plain and simple - especially since Ronnie Dunn was specifically told to mimic the Eagles arrangement exactly. That suggests to me that Don isn't re-recording these out of burning desire to give Eagles songs a new artistic reinterpretation. JMHO.

Look on the bright side. At least we're getting a few new songs. Some folks, like Rod Stewart and his five American Songbook compilations, don't even give their fans that.

Plus, it's cool to hear that icons like Dolly Stewart will be appearing. How about "Islands in the Stream"? ;) Speaking of IITS, I imagine Kenny Rogers will be appearing as well, since he discovered Don. At least, I hope he will. I think he's great.

04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Well - I'm not sure what to expect with this. My gut reaction was and still remains that I would be disappointed with an album that primarily consists of covers of country and Eagles songs. I'd just much rather have new material from a songwriter as incredible as Don. However, I guess at this point, all we can do is speculate until we get more info.

whitcap
04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Plus, it's cool to hear that icons like Dolly Stewart will be appearing.

Dolly Stewart? :hilarious:

Annabel
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
:laugh: I read that post without noticing the slip. Wonder if Dolly's related to Rod Parton. ;) :laugh:

04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd bet they are! :grin:

Troubadour
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I'll admit that I wasn't expecting Don to re-record Eagles songs for his country album, but I'm not disheartened - I'm just excited that we'll be getting some new solo stuff from the man! I'm more than prepared to enjoy the anticipation and hold my opinions until I hear the tracks. It sounds like an exciting project.

GlennLover
04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
When I first read the interview with Ronnie Dunn it was April 1st & I really thought that it was an April Fool's joke. I had to check on the date that it was posted (March 31) before I thought that there was any merit to it. I agree. I think Don could come up with songs other than Eagles' songs. It doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not looking forward to SBR bing redone, even though I like the artists that are singing it. :confused:

sodascouts
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Dolly Stewart? :hilarious:

What, you mean you guys haven't heard that Dolly Parton ran off with Rod Stewart to Las Vegas for a quickie wedding after some hasty divorcing? ;)

"Have I told you, Dolly, that I love you... have I told you there's no one else above you... fill my heart with gladness... take away all my sadness... show some cleavage, that's what you do."

Troubadour
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
LOL!!

Freypower
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, I guess that settles it then. Unless, of course, Ronnie is confused (but why would he be?), or the final track listing hasn't been decided yet.

Well, I think this is being done to attract people who might not otherwise buy the CD. Even if Don gets told that the hardcores are unhappy, the hardcores do not make up the vast majority of the buying public. Indeed, most hardcores will buy anything Don puts out anyway.

On the other hand, the inclusion of Eagles songs might attract the casual buyer. Look how well Common Thread sold (admittedly, that was almost 20 years ago). I think this is a business decision, plain and simple - especially since Ronnie Dunn was specifically told to mimic the Eagles arrangement exactly. That suggests to me that Don isn't re-recording these out of burning desire to give Eagles songs a new artistic reinterpretation. JMHO.

Look on the bright side. At least we're getting a few new songs. Some folks, like Rod Stewart and his five American Songbook compilations, don't even give their fans that.

Plus, it's cool to hear that icons like Dolly Stewart will be appearing. How about "Islands in the Stream"? ;) Speaking of IITS, I imagine Kenny Rogers will be appearing as well, since he discovered Don. At least, I hope he will. I think he's great.

A FEW. The objection here is to the apparent decision to re-record Eagles songs.

And of course the elephant in the room is... most of the Eagles' 'country sounding' songs were sung by Glenn. I know Don has sung Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone & Lyin' Eyes live. What if he records those and then decides perhaps he should sing them live with the Eagles?

I don't think that is very likely but I see precisely no reason to rework his old songs. No reason at all.

sodascouts
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
A FEW. The objection here is to the apparent decision to re-record Eagles songs.

Well, there could be more than one objection, ya know! ;) At any rate, like I said, I was trying to look on the bright side.

I know Don has sung Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone & Lyin' Eyes live. What if he records those and then decides perhaps he should sing them live with the Eagles?

I don't think that is very likely It's beyond unlikely. This scenario is absolutely preposterous.

but I see precisely no reason to rework his old songs. No reason at all.No artistic reason, perhaps, but it might get him some more green.

Maleah
04-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Maybe Ronnie thought it would be funny to get everyone to freak out. LOL Seriously though, I'm just excited for a new album regardless of what songs are on it. Maybe I'll complain once I see an official album list but until I'll be excited. :D

Annabel
04-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Seriously though, I'm just excited for a new album regardless of what songs are on it. :D

I'm with you there. A new CD of Don to :yay: :smitten: over. :fainted:

Glennhoney
04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I guess Don's not alone, but I can't say that I'm rejoicing over the notion of artists releasing remakes of their own hits. :shrug:

TOTALLY AGREE....WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?????????????:headscratch:

sodascouts
04-10-2011, 04:27 PM
No, Don's not alone by any means. I mentioned earlier the success of Rod Stewart's cover albums, and that has not gone unnoticed. This is a trend that has been growing for years, especially as classic rock artists continue to tour successfully and find themselves with a fanbase that laps up their older material but perhaps is not as keen on listening to new material that they don't recognize.

I can see how an album consisting mostly of covers and re-releases would be very appealing. Quick, easy, profitable...

1) You don't have to take the time to write a lot of new songs that may or may not go over well; no stressful agonizing over every lyric and note; no sweating over whether your new songs live up to the old material.

2) People who may not buy an album of all-original material will be more likely to pick up an album with a lot of old favorites, getting you more money and also getting any new songs you include some additional listeners.

3) You can record them much more quickly, especially if you make minimal changes in arrangements. You already know what they're going to sound like. There's a reason why Don Henley, famous for his painstaking perfectionism, nonchalantly breezes through recording Ronnie Dunn's part on SBR in a couple hours. Just tell him to sing it like the Eagles do... what could be easier?

4) For those with contractual obligations to fulfill, these types of albums are a great way to take care of business with the record company. You want three more albums? Here's a greatest hits and a couple albums of covers. Ouila!

5) Including re-recordings of your old stuff mixed in with covers of other artists not only appeals to fans who like your older music, but also gives you a bigger profit margin as you have fewer royalties to pay.

While this type of album is not what I had hoped, I do understand the decision, and I still maintain that a few new songs is better than no new songs. Ideally, he'd do like Tim and Joe and put out all new material, but you can't always have the ideal. If it's this or nothing, I'll take this.

Think of it this way. At Pebble Beach in 2008, Glenn said he might do an album of big band covers. He also said he didn't think he'd ever release an album of entirely original material again. Now it looks like Glenn won't even do the album of covers. At least Don is giving fans something new to enjoy. When I view it in that light, I say, "I'll take what I can get."

I just hope the amount of "de-Eagled" versions of Eagles songs is minimal...

04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
While this type of album is not what I had hoped, I do understand the decision, and I still maintain that a few new songs is better than no new songs. Ideally, he'd do like Tim and Joe and put out all new material, but you can't always have the ideal. If it's this or nothing, I'll take this.

Soda, I understand all of the arguments and logic for doing this, but I still don't like it. The difference for me is that if Don was putting out an album of all new songs, I would be one of the first in line to buy it just because it is Don. However, I don't know if I'll buy this album or not. I'll just have to wait and see what's on it. But this fan may not be spending my money to hear Don remake a bunch of old songs. So for me, if it's this or nothing, I'll just have to wait and see. :unimpressed:

Freypower
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Think of it this way. At Pebble Beach in 2008, Glenn said he might do an album of big band covers. He also said he didn't think he'd ever release an album of entirely original material again. Now it looks like Glenn won't even do the album of covers. At least Don is giving fans something new to enjoy. When I view it in that light, I say, "I'll take what I can get."

This, unfortunately, appears to be correct. I could write a very long diatribe on what I think of this situation; the 'I'll take what I can get' approach is not ideal but it is apparently more than Glenn will ever offer.

Freypower
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Soda, I understand all of the arguments and logic for doing this, but I still don't like it. The difference for me is that if Don was putting out an album of all new songs, I would be one of the first in line to buy it just because it is Don. However, I don't know if I'll buy this album or not. I'll just have to wait and see what's on it. But this fan may not be spending my money to hear Don remake a bunch of old songs. So for me, if it's this or nothing, I'll just have to wait and see. :unimpressed:

But I'm afraid that I am with Dreamer on this. At the moment I can't even see myself buying a hard copy of the CD. I would buy the tracks on iTunes which are not remakes of Eagles songs.

Also if he were to do an entire album of covers I wouldn't have a problem with that. It is the remakes of Eagles songs that bothers me.

Kate Bush is also releasing an album of re-recordings of songs from The Red Shoes & This Woman's Work. I find this entire trend bizarre & to put it as mildly as possible, sad.

Glennhoney
04-10-2011, 08:13 PM
..my thoughts exactly...and one of the reasons that the EAGLES are SO special, is that they put out a double CD of NEW material...when everybody else is busy rearranging and re- recording their old stuff ..my husband and I were discussing who we'd like to go see in concert this year, and he was saying that as far as "older" groups are concerned, only the EAGLES are worth the price of the their tickets..there's a lot of truth in that..

sodascouts
04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree, GH. I admire the Eagles greatly for putting out a new album when so many would have been content to rest on their laurels.

Also if he were to do an entire album of covers I wouldn't have a problem with that. It is the remakes of Eagles songs that bothers me.

I can see this. A well-done cover, like Don's magnificent "Come Rain or Come Shine," can be a real gem. I look forward to hearing more covers of that caliber on his country and R&B albums.

But the re-recording of Eagles songs... I have to admit I'm not looking forward to that. Perhaps it will only be a couple, though, and a very small part of the album.

Brooke
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
But I'm afraid that I am with Dreamer on this. At the moment I can't even see myself buying a hard copy of the CD. I would buy the tracks on iTunes which are not remakes of Eagles songs.

I with you two on this. And I don't want to hear remakes of Eagles songs at all. I have the country remakes album of Eagles songs in my collection and have never listened to it. It came with several others is the only reason I have it. I've heard some of them on the radio and they are ok, but I avoid them if possible.

Glennhoney
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
..we used to play CDs at work before we got Sirius Radio and one of those CDs was "Common Thread" which I absolutely hated..but anyway, one of my coworkers (who's totally into country music), would always say she preferred the "country" versions than the Eagles....I nearly choked her a few times...:censored:..lol...SSOoooo glad we don't have to listen to it anymore..

AzEaglesFan
04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I bought Common Threads because I loved all the artists on the CD. Travis Tritt came out with Take It Easy and Clint Black came out with Desperado. It was only after listening to this CD that I got interested in the Eagles again. I had forgotten that they were still around,since I only listened to Country Music and they did not play Eagles Music. Of course it changed in the fact that after this CD I did rediscover the Eagles, which is what lead me to the Border. I still only listen to Country Music except when I go in and listen to Eagles Radio.

pueblo47
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I'll second that one, AZ. When Common Thread came out, it was real popular here in Music City for obvious reasons. Had been in the country magazines and interviews on local tv for months and when the Eagles came in town to provide the backup harmony for Tritt, that was the icing on the cake.

So I personally have no problems with Henley doing Eagles songs in his albums. He's an Eagle, they all have covered the songs in their solo albums with varying degrees of success, I'm anxious to hear it. And it will be done well since he's a perfectionist.

Merely MY opinion.......

sodascouts
04-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I like Common Thread well enough (although I don't prefer any of the cover versions to the originals). I especially like Travis Tritt's "Take It Easy" and I'll always value the fact that it precipitated Hell Freezes Over and the reunion of the band. I also enjoy country music, so I have no issues there.

However, if Henley chooses to tread that ground again by "countrifying" Eagles songs - an idea which has already been executed on the Common Thread CD - the results could very possibly have a "been there, done that" feel unless he chooses different songs to re-record.

While all of the Eagles quite naturally perform Eagles songs in their solo sets and that is reflected in their live album releases, as far as I know only Randy has officially recorded a solo version of an Eagles song/songs on a studio album. (If I'm forgetting something please feel free to remind me!)

And despite my own lack of excitement about Henley's re-recording of Eagles songs, I think many will share Pueblo's opinion and that's definitely a good thing if you look at it from Henley's perspective! lol

As I said earlier, I'll be buying the album regardless.

AzEaglesFan
04-12-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm sure that I will be right there to buy it too. I have the solo CDs that Don and Timothy have released lately. Since the last Don CD was a greatest hits one, (I hope I have that right), I really wanted new material. A CD of country covers would be OK. I would love to know what songs he is going to do.

Freypower
04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
I'll second that one, AZ. When Common Thread came out, it was real popular here in Music City for obvious reasons. Had been in the country magazines and interviews on local tv for months and when the Eagles came in town to provide the backup harmony for Tritt, that was the icing on the cake.

So I personally have no problems with Henley doing Eagles songs in his albums. He's an Eagle, they all have covered the songs in their solo albums with varying degrees of success, I'm anxious to hear it. And it will be done well since he's a perfectionist.

Merely MY opinion.......

It may be done well but he will be singing Eagles songs without the presence of the other Eagles; I just can't get my head around why he thinks this is necessary when there are so many other songs. It would be better him to redo his SOLO songs. Not his Eagles songs. Or Eagles songs sung by other Eagles.

pueblo47
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed. And it's not like it hasn't been done before by the other guys. The more I read about it, the more I want to hear it before making any comments pro or con.

And for the ones who say they don't like country music, what are the Eagles but country rock, despite them trying to shed that reputation? They started out that way and even though the rock has changed the sound somewhat over the years, it hasn't changed their reputation for easy listening, ballad-like songs that tell stories or make statements.

Again this is MY opinion and I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone in here. Just saying what I personally think.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed.

Yeah RIGHT!!! :hilarious: No, seriously, I totally agree with you!!!

And for the ones who say they don't like country music, what are the Eagles but country rock, despite them trying to shed that reputation? They started out that way and even though the rock has changed the sound somewhat over the years, it hasn't changed their reputation for easy listening, ballad-like songs that tell stories or make statements.

Have you noticed how quiet I've been in this thread? :hilarious:

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Me too! :hilarious:

Just because I like the Eagles I don't necessarily like all of the solo stuff anyway. Never say never, but I doubt if I'll be buying this album.

sodascouts
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Without being disagreeable to anyone in here, guess what I'm trying to understand is why all the controversy? No one has even heard anything from the album yet, just what has been printed. And it's not like it hasn't been done before by the other guys. The more I read about it, the more I want to hear it before making any comments pro or con.

I guess my previous posts on this topic weren't as clear as I would have hoped! I must be losing my touch. ;)

I'll try to break it down more.

1) Eagles songs are best done by the Eagles, IMHO. Re-recording them as solo material with different people singing harmonies instead of your bandmates seems to me creatively stale and even lazy.

2) When I hear about a new Don album coming out, I get excited thinking we're going to get material we haven't heard before - not the same material that we've already heard the Eagles do.

3) Other artists may re-record their old stuff, too, but that does not matter to me. I don't judge whether or not I agree with something based on how many other people do it. I would criticize any of my favorites who did this, because those are the artists I care about.

All of this is only MY personal opinion, of course.

However, it's not like he's doing a whole album of Eagles covers. Maybe he's only doing one or two. I don't want to get fixated on this element and thus ruin the joy of a new album coming out. I do think it's fair to discuss it, though.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
1) Eagles songs are best done by the Eagles, IMHO. Re-recording them as solo material with different people singing harmonies instead of your bandmates seems to me creatively stale and even lazy.

I totally agree with this also!! (See how agreeable I am today!:hilarious:) If I buy a Henley solo album, or Frey or Schmit, or Walsh, I want SOLO stuff not redone Eagles stuff!

PM-- I have to agree, I probably will not be buying this cd. Now the one we've heard possibly coming out of Soul (or did I dream that?) I will definitely buy. But I guess I should know better than to say never.

pueblo47
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Have you noticed how quiet I've been in this thread? :hilarious:

No I haven't:hilarious:

PM - I'll buy it and then talk about it and make you run out and get it too:hilarious:

Soda - I understood you. Just adding my opinion to the thread. :angel:

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
PM - I'll buy it and then talk about it and make you run out and get it too:hilarious:

You probably will!

But I don't know, reading posts on this board has never influenced me to do anything before. :lie:

GlennLover
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree, GH. I admire the Eagles greatly for putting out a new album when so many would have been content to rest on their laurels.

I see re-recording Eagles' songs as Don "resting on his laurels". I agree though, that doing the album this way is an easier or quicker way of fulfiling his contractual obligations as he has to record another album to complete this obligation.

I enjoy Common Thread but I certainly don't prefer any of the songs to the originals. It was a tribute to the Eagles. To me re-recording Eagles' songs is, to paraphrase Glenn, "just doing a tribute to himself". JMHO

I most likely will buy the CD.

Brooke
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I love a lot of country music and I love nearly every Eagles song that ever came out. Country influenced or rock.

I don't mind if country artists do Eagles songs. But I don't love an Eagle re-recording Eagles songs with country artists. It's never gonna be as good as the original. There's too much history and the legacy there. And what is the point? I agree with Soda that it's a cop out and lazy. Surely he can come up with other songs to record. Why would we want to hear that? Now, I love Don and I know he can sing the phone book and make it sound good. He has said before that they get tired of singing the same old songs so why when he has a chance to do something different doesn't he do something different?

This is just my opinion. Everyone has one. It's ok to disagree as long as no blood is spilled. :lol:

And unless there is new material on it, I probably won't buy it either. I might download just the new songs. :shrug:

MikeA
04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, I'd not have a problem if they changed it up a mite. Look what the Eagles did with "Hotel California". Made it acoustic!

And I know Walsh has recorded versions of several songs in the past. Hmmm, some of them were somewhat the "same" but I think what I'm thinking about is a "Studio" version versus a "Live" version.

But then, I doubt that I'd buy a Henley solo album anyway. With the exception of Walsh, I doubt that I'd buy any solo works of other Eagles. I think of them as a "group" and as a "group" I accept them. But Walsh is the only individual among them who I'd support with a purchase. I would do that primarly becasue I grew up with him in James Gang an Solo before I was ever a big Eagles fan.

But I don't see anything wrong with coming out with remakes of good material. Hopefully, if Don does do this, he will do something different enough to make the song(s) unique to his solo release.

But how "different" can you make something like "Desperado" or "Last Resort"?

That's a CHALLENGE DON. Show me how stupid I am!

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
And for the ones who say they don't like country music, what are the Eagles but country rock, despite them trying to shed that reputation?.

Well I think they have went to pretty much every genre. They've done RnB type tunes, country tunes, more hard rock tunes, bluesy rock tunes, and more bluegrass or folk tunes. They have really made a song in all of those genres and one of the biggest reasons I think the Eagles are so successful. There is something for everyone to enjoy.

I won't go on about it in this thread, but you know I prefer the 'rockier' (musically) years of the Hotel California and Long Run era. BUT On the Border I love, I can't get enough of "Already Gone", "The Best Of My Love", "James Dean", etc. In fact, now, I can say On The Border is probably my 2nd favorite Eagles album. Adding Felder was a very smart move IMO, and then Walsh was the perfect guy to get when Leadon left. Just a great band in any form! ;)

When I say I don't like country music, it's mainly me coming from a blues/rock background. Most country is kind of "boring" for me but when they rock it up, I dig that (like the OTB album for instance). But again, the Eagles have really made music in so many different genres there is something for everybody.

I'll run out and buy Don's album though, just as I will for Joe. And hopefully this will inspire some of the others to do a solo album as well (cough...GLENN...cough). :D

Freypower
04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Again this is MY opinion and I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone in here. Just saying what I personally think.

As Soda said to her knowledge the only Eagle who has re-recorded Eagles songs is Randy, although some Eagles songs appear on Glenn's live album. But that's a live album.

I know we haven't heard it yet but I echo other comments that it is lazy and unimaginative to re-record Eagles' songs. I wonder if that old joke about 'Don can sing anything' which Glenn recently uttered yet again in Taiwan has led him to believe that his fans will just lap this up because he's singing it. But that is probably a bit harsh.

I also echo others who have said that I probably won't buy the CD; just download any new songs & intriguing covers (of non-Eagles songs) if it is made available on iTunes.

Freypower
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
PM-- I have to agree, I probably will not be buying this cd. Now the one we've heard possibly coming out of Soul (or did I dream that?) I will definitely buy. But I guess I should know better than to say never.

I'm sorry, but what are you referring to here? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on the board. Apologies if it has been mentioned.

whitcap
04-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Now the one we've heard possibly coming out of Soul (or did I dream that?)

He's mentioned doing an R&B album. In this (http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/q-a-don-henley-651970.html) interview he said he was working on them at the same time.

Freypower
04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
He's mentioned doing an R&B album. In this (http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/q-a-don-henley-651970.html) interview he said he was working on them at the same time.

Oh; I apologise. I thought TBF had heard a rumour that there was going to be a new Eagles live album recorded in Seoul, South Korea where they recently played. I knew about the R&B album. He'll probably do Witchy Woman on that. :-(

whitcap
04-12-2011, 08:23 PM
There will probably only be one or two Eagles covers on the album. Hopefully he'll choose songs that he didn't sing originally. I didn't care for Randy's solo version of Take It to the Limit the first few times I heard it but its grown on me over time. I loved his version of Take It Easy from the first time I heard it though (although that could be because I have a soft spot for 90s Randy.)

As for why he's recording Eagles covers, GL mentioned a contract obligation. That's probably why. If he needs to put out two more albums to end his obligation to Warner he's probably looking to finish them ASAP, hence all the covers. Randy's first album (which contained his Take It to the Limit cover) was a cover album that he recorded to fill a contract obligation (apparently there was a clause in his contract where he had to record an album for Asylum if he chose to quit the Eagles) so the album was a bit of a rushed effort. As for his Take It Easy cover, it was recorded for the World Classic Rockers album (which contained recorded versions of the songs in their set list at the time.) He put it on Love Me or Leave Me Alone, which was an album of previously recorded material.

I plan on buying Don's new album whenever it comes out.

Freypower
04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
There will probably only be one or two Eagles covers on the album. Hopefully he'll choose songs that he didn't sing originally. I didn't care for Randy's solo version of Take It to the Limit the first few times I heard it but its grown on me over time. I loved his version of Take It Easy from the first time I heard it though (although that could be because I have a soft spot for 90s Randy.)

As for why he's recording Eagles covers, GL mentioned a contract obligation. That's probably why. If he needs to put out two more albums to end his obligation to Warner he's probably looking to finish them ASAP, hence all the covers. Randy's first album (which contained his Take It to the Limit cover) was a cover album that he recorded to fill a contract obligation (apparently there was a clause in his contract where he had to record an album for Asylum if he chose to quit the Eagles) so the album was a bit of a rushed effort. As for his Take It Easy cover, it was recorded for the World Classic Rockers album (which contained recorded versions of the songs in their set list at the time.) He put it on Love Me or Leave Me Alone, which was an album of previously recorded material.

I plan on buying Don's new album whenever it comes out.

I suppose it is just me but I would prefer he did not sing songs that were originally sung by Glenn.

And you can fulfil a contractual obligation in a rather more imaginative way than doing re-recorded Eagles songs.

pueblo47
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
He'll probably do Witchy Woman on that. :-(I hope so, a particular fav of mine:smokin:

I plan on buying Don's new album whenever it comes out.Me too.:rockguitar:

FP, I realize what you're saying and understand it, but I'm personally looking forward to this country concept to see how different a spin it might put on the classics I'm used to hearing. Plus I have always liked Henley's raspy voice when he has recorded with other artists like Yearwood for example.

Your viewpoints are always interesting and informative and I say this sincerely.:thumbsup:

Freypower
04-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I love a lot of country music and I love nearly every Eagles song that ever came out. Country influenced or rock.

I don't mind if country artists do Eagles songs. But I don't love an Eagle re-recording Eagles songs with country artists. It's never gonna be as good as the original. There's too much history and the legacy there. And what is the point? I agree with Soda that it's a cop out and lazy. Surely he can come up with other songs to record. Why would we want to hear that? Now, I love Don and I know he can sing the phone book and make it sound good. He has said before that they get tired of singing the same old songs so why when he has a chance to do something different doesn't he do something different?

This is just my opinion. Everyone has one. It's ok to disagree as long as no blood is spilled. :lol:

And unless there is new material on it, I probably won't buy it either. I might download just the new songs. :shrug:

This sums up my position on this perfectly; if others feel differently and are looking forward to it; great. I am looking forward to the songs which are not Eagles songs.

Now I promise that is my last word on the subject.

sodascouts
04-12-2011, 11:41 PM
I suppose it is just me but I would prefer he did not sing songs that were originally sung by Glenn.

I'm with you. I think it would sound wrong.

TimothyBFan
04-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Oh; I apologise. I thought TBF had heard a rumour that there was going to be a new Eagles live album recorded in Seoul, South Korea where they recently played. I knew about the R&B album. He'll probably do Witchy Woman on that. :-(

:rofl: This just cracked me up! I may not come across as the most intelligent person on this board but I seriously do know the difference between Seoul (the city) and soul (the music) and I would have known not to put an Eagles live album info in a thread entitled Press & Discussion about Don's new album.

Freypower
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
:rofl: This just cracked me up! I may not come across as the most intelligent person on this board but I seriously do know the difference between Seoul (the city) and soul (the music) and I would have known not to put an Eagles live album info in a thread entitled Press & Discussion about Don's new album.

Your exact phrase was 'coming out of Soul'. Particularly because you used a capital letter for 'Soul' I didn't know what you meant. I also didn't know what you meant by 'coming out of'... to me that implied 'recorded in a particular place'. Then when you said 'or did I dream that' I thought you had heard something others hadn't. I'm sorry I got it so wrong. :blush:

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I give up....you're right, I was wrong--wrong with my capitalization, wrong with my punctuation and probably another half a dozen things not pointed out. :blush: I should of remained quiet. ;) It might be best I just leave this thread. :bye:

sodascouts
04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
ANYWAY, I was thinking about whether Don would change arrangements on Eagles songs when he told Ronnie Donn to use Eagles phrasing and the like for Seven Bridges Road. It doesn't sound like he's changing up much there! I realize I'm venturing into complete speculation but hey, I enjoy doing that. ;)

04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
OMG - you're killing me, Soda. It's bad enough for me to think that he's remaking Eagles songs, but to suggest that he's not even going to try to make it sound a little different is too much for me to bear. Of course, I'm just kidding - well ... sort of. As I said earlier, I'll withhold final judgment until I actually see/hear the album, but I'm really hoping your speculation does not come to pass.

AzEaglesFan
04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Don Henley Plans a Country Project (http://shar.es/HW23l)
Source: blog.gactv.com (http://blog.gactv.com/)

The Eagles have long been hailed as an influence on modern country music, a fact that’s never been lost on drummer Don Henley. Now it appears Don is aiming to release an album that plays on that history. He’s been working on an album of country songs — some originals, some covers. He’s in good company in the process. He’s been putting the project together with Stan Lynch, who used to be the drummer with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

AzEaglesFan
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
If you click on the "Don Henley plans Country Project" it will bring up the entire article, a picture and a video.

sodascouts
09-07-2011, 08:45 PM
FP posted this article in another thread since it was by and large about artists' termination rights, but I'm going to post the short bit regarding the new album here:

Don says:
"I've been working on a country album for a couple of years now, in between parenting and Eagles projects. It's coming along really well. It's both originals and covers, and I'm producing it with my buddy Stan Lynch. It's probably not going to come out until next spring [2012]. I'm working at my own glacial pace."

- Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/don-henley-record-companies-not-going-to-roll-over-on-copyright-issue-20110907)

sodascouts
09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
So it's spring now, eh? Well, I'm glad to hear an update about the album, at any rate. I never thought it would take him so long to record an album that's mostly covers! Anyway, it looks like he and Glenn and perhaps even Joe will have solo albums out around the same time during the Eagles' 40th anniversary year. If that's the case, will they be able to tour solo?

Freypower
09-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Don will probably want to tour solo. Despite my euphoria about Glenn announcing his album, I now have a horrible feeling that he won't either tour or promote. I don't want his album to be 'buried' because it is a covers album with no original material (to our knowledge....) But Don's track record as a solo artist is more high profile and more recent and he is more willing to do promotion.

This is the truth; I can't spin this to make it more favourable to Glenn. Back to reality. Anyway this is Don's thread so I will say no more.

sodascouts
09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Don will probably want to tour solo. Despite my euphoria about Glenn announcing his album, I now have a horrible feeling that he won't either tour or promote. I don't want his album to be 'buried' because it is a covers album with no original material (to our knowledge....) But Don's track record as a solo artist is more high profile and more recent and he is more willing to do promotion.

This is the truth; I can't spin this to make it more favourable to Glenn. Back to reality. Anyway this is Don's thread so I will say no more.

Are you psychic, FP, that you somehow know that Glenn won't promote his album despite the fact that he specifically brought it up at our show and played new songs from it? I can't believe you are projecting into the future and complaining about things that haven't even happened yet! Geez! I'm sorry if I sound harsh but come on!

Back on topic. Don is helped by the fact that he can get some buzz going for his new album while he's going around talking with interviewers about other issues. He keeps a higher profile regardless of whether or not he has something to promote, and that is definitely a plus for him.

Freypower
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Soda, it's not harsh to say that. I know what that sounded like. Of course I don't know and of course I'm not psychic. As you say, this is about Don's album so talk about that.

EaglesKiwi
09-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm very much looking forward to hearing the new album (even if I have to wait for Northern Hemisphere spring - I got just a nanosecond of hope thinking "it's spring now" and then reality came crashing in).

I haven't heard a lot of country music, but have started listening to a little since joining this board - finding the stuff Don has done as duets and then looking at some more of those artists' stuff...

Have there been any updates about his second album, or does that seem to have been absorbed in his glacial workplan, only to resurface after the next ice age? I want that one to come out too! Or at least for there to be little hints of what's coming...

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 02:59 PM
The second album hasn't been mentioned in months. It will probably still happen... in a few years. lol

sodascouts
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
OK, Don, time to get your a$$ in gear! Your bandmates are leaving you in the dust! lol

EasyFeeling
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Another album coming? I guess I will have to read this thread when I have more time, I am way behind news.

sodascouts
03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Well, it's "in the works." While it's been "in the works" for quite a while, a few months ago, Don said that it would probably come out in Spring of 2012. With both Glenn and Joe stepping up and releasing albums this spring, Don would do well to heed their example! ;)

tequila girl
03-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Wasn't Don supposed to be releasing Two new albums?......or did I dream that?

sodascouts
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
That was his initial ambition but it seems the R&B album has been put on the backburner; the more recent focus (as in the past year or so) has been on the country album.

Troubadour
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Yes - don't keep us waiting too long, Don! A whole album of Mr. Henley singing old-style country is my kind of heaven.

EasyFeeling
03-16-2012, 07:38 AM
That was his initial ambition but it seems the R&B album has been put on the backburner; the more recent focus (as in the past year or so) has been on the country album.

He wanted to do a R&B album? Wow, sounds good. I remember I've read something about the country album. Thanks for the info, Nancy :)

Brooke
03-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, Don, you need to get with it!

StephUK
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
OK, Don, time to get your a$$ in gear! Your bandmates are leaving you in the dust! lol

I was just thinking the same thing, after reading about Glenn & Joe and their albums. Okay, so Don is known for taking absolutely forever to get an album out, but his was being talked about long before the others were mentioned. Hope we see something from Mr Henley real soon. :pray:

sodascouts
03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Seriously. This thread was started in November of 2009!

At least he has Felder beat. Felder has been talking about working on a solo album since 2007, and it still hasn't been released.

03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
OMG! As much as I would love to see Don release his new album, I'm really not in any hurry right now since Glenn and Joe's will be coming out in May. Now that I'm going to 4 of Glenn's shows, there's no way I'd be able to make any of Don's shows in the next few months. So, for purely selfish reasons, I would like to see a summer release date with a tour then. After all, it is all about me, isn't it!!! :lol:

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I gotta update this now that Don says the album is coming in the fall. Here's hoping!

Troubadour
07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Exciting! I hope so, too.

sodascouts
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I thought it would be interesting compiling a list of the country stars Don has been working with over the past year or so, and see if they are all on the album:

Ronnie Dunn* (says he sung on Seven Bridges Road back in 2011)
Alison Kraus* - (Dunn say she also sings on Seven Bridges Road)
Dolly Parton*
Randy Travis**
Brad Paisley
John Rich

*confirmed to be on the album
** confirmed to have been approached; acceptance not confirmed

Other possibilities:

He's expressed a desire to work with Merle Haggard.

He mentioned George Jones in a song one time.

Kenny Rogers is an old friend who was instrumental in getting Henley to California. It would be cool if he were also included.

He's worked with Travis Tritt, Trisha Yearwood, and Reba McIntryre before.

Other "country music friends" include Vince Gill and Keith Urban, who opened for the Eagles a couple years ago. You could argue Linda Ronstadt and JD Souther are country as well. Even Stevie Nicks could do country if called upon... see "After the Glitter Fades" and "That's Alright" for two examples. Oh, what a delight that would be! How about some reciprocity, Don? ;)

Country artists with an Eagles connection thanks to Common Thread: Little Texas, Clint Black, John Anderson, Alan Jackson, Suzy Bogguss, Diamond Rio, Billy Dean, Tanya Tucker, and Lorrie Morgan. That album was recorded quite a while ago, though.

whitcap
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Another possibility is Emmylou Harris. She and Don did a concert together last year.

sodascouts
09-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I had completely forgotten about that! I'd love for her to appear. She's got a terrific voice.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-30-2012, 10:46 AM
I love the band perry...
and how bout Zac brown band
SO when is this cd coing out???

Topkat
09-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Wait, is this going to be a country album? Is that for sure? I didn't know that.
Did Don say he was doing country???

sodascouts
09-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes - it's a definite. He's said it many times. If you have time, you might want to go back and read this thread.

Topkat
09-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Don Henley Ready to Build on Storied Solo Career with Two New Solo Albums

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5864682/don_henley_ready_to_build_on_storied.html

OK I went back into the thread. It looks like it started out that Don was working on TWO new solo albums. One country & one R&B...
Then it turns into remakes of Eagles songs with country artists!
What about the other album?
Wonder if there will be any new material on the country album?

If he is just remaking all Eagles songs in country style, then, I am going to be very disappointed! That is NOT what I want to hear from Henley! Hasn't that already been done???Yeah
Also, if he's remaking Eagles songs, & not even writing any new material, what the heck is taking so long?
I don't want a "covers" album from Don. Haven't we had enough of these cover albums lately. :roll:
Now, I am a bit upset!:sigh: I don't really see Henley as the type to do "covers" Sorry, but I can't even see it.........Now I'm really confused.

sodascouts
09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
The other album has been put on the backburner, apparently.

As for the upcoming country album, there will be some remade Eagles songs, some covers of songs by other country artists, and a few original songs - at least that's what we've been led to believe from the press so far.

09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
If Don's gonna get that sucker out this year, I would think we should be hearing something about a release date very soon.

zeldabjr
09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
The other album has been put on the backburner, apparently.

As for the upcoming country album, there will be some remade Eagles songs, some covers of songs by other country artists, and a few original songs - at least that's what we've been led to believe from the press so far.

I'm not happy with the sound of this at all...who wants remade Eagles songs and covers by other artists? not me

Freypower
10-01-2012, 01:38 AM
OK I went back into the thread. It looks like it started out that Don was working on TWO new solo albums. One country & one R&B...
Then it turns into remakes of Eagles songs with country artists!
What about the other album?
Wonder if there will be any new material on the country album?

If he is just remaking all Eagles songs in country style, then, I am going to be very disappointed! That is NOT what I want to hear from Henley! Hasn't that already been done???Yeah
Also, if he's remaking Eagles songs, & not even writing any new material, what the heck is taking so long?
I don't want a "covers" album from Don. Haven't we had enough of these cover albums lately. :roll:
Now, I am a bit upset!:sigh: I don't really see Henley as the type to do "covers" Sorry, but I can't even see it.........Now I'm really confused.

If you don't like After Hours, which is a covers album, OK, but many others DO like it. As for Henley not being the 'type' to do covers, whatever that may mean, he sings covers often enough in his shows.

I have no problem with Henley doing covers. The problem I have is with him remaking Eagles songs, as was discussed earlier in the thread.

Topkat
10-01-2012, 08:41 AM
If you don't like After Hours, which is a covers album, OK, but many others DO like it. As for Henley not being the 'type' to do covers, whatever that may mean, he sings covers often enough in his shows.

I have no problem with Henley doing covers. The problem I have is with him remaking Eagles songs, as was discussed earlier in the thread.

I also have a problem with him remaking Eagles songs. The Eagles songs are perfect as they are, they can't possibly be made any better! End of story!

When I say Don isn't the "type" to do cover songs, maybe that was the wrong term.... I mean that Don Henley is one of the best songwriters of this generation & for him to do an album of cover songs with no new material is just a shame!! I find it hard to believe that Don hasn't written anything since LROOE, so he must have SOME material he hasn't released yet.

Now, I'm really curious as to what is going to be on this album.

Freypower
10-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I also have a problem with him remaking Eagles songs. The Eagles songs are perfect as they are, they can't possibly be made any better! End of story!

When I say Don isn't the "type" to do cover songs, maybe that was the wrong term.... I mean that Don Henley is one of the best songwriters of this generation & for him to do an album of cover songs with no new material is just a shame!! I find it hard to believe that Don hasn't written anything since LROOE, so he must have SOME material he hasn't released yet.

Now, I'm really curious as to what is going to be on this album.

I could also have taken that attitude about Glenn. I chose to focus on how good the material was going to be as a showcase for his voice & his interpretation skills.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I hope he keeps the Eagles material to a minimum and spends most of the album on other country covers and his original songs. The idea of a "solo" Seven Bridges Road with various country singers standing in place of the other Eagles on the harmonies makes me cringe, but I keep telling myself that I need to listen to the album before making judgments.

TimothyBFan
10-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Just getting caught up here. I probably shouldn't even give my opinion because, as I've already said, I most likely won't buy this country album anyways even tho it is Don. But I have to ask, what is he thinking when deciding to remake Eagles songs? Huh? I get that they put them in their solo shows but to actually rerecord them for an album seems a bit over the top. There isn't enough other country songs out there that he could do.

I'm still awaiting patiently for the soul album. I really think Don's voice just screams soul music. My opinion, of course.

Topkat
10-02-2012, 08:49 AM
FP

I could also have taken that attitude about Glenn. I chose to focus on how good the material was going to be as a showcase for his voice & his interpretation skills.

Glenn's album was different, as it focused on oldies & it had a theme. To add new material to that would have just been taking it off track, so I don't blame him for keeping the oldies remake theme & not putting new songs on it.

With Don, I guess he's going for a country theme, but I don't know what that's all about, so I guess we'll see what it is when he releases it.

I'm with TBF, I may just wait for Don's soul album, as I am not really a country music fan anyway!

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Glenn does have one original song on After Hours - the title track - and I'd like for him to put out more, but I can understand why he didn't for that particular album. However, in the future, I hope he gives us some more of his own material. He and Don Henley are on par with any of the songwriters they're covering.

Don has done some country-flavored material before and done well with it. There's the obvious country-rock from the Eagles that he's done and the country duets with the likes of Reba and Trisha Yearwood, but in addition to that, you can find a bit of country in his solo work. There's "You're Not Drinking Enough" (the most country song he's ever done solo, IMHO), "Talking to the Moon" (my personal fave), "You Better Hang Up", "Long Way Home," and "Lilah" for instance, plus the only song he ever wrote alone: "A Month of Sundays." ("For My Wedding" was marketed as country, but I think it's more of a generic slow song.) I imagine the new material will be along those lines.

Topkat
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Soda, Yes, I forgot that "After Hours' is new, but I didn't get this album because I'm just not into these old songs. It's just not my thing.

As for Don, yes, your right the songs you mention are pretty country. I like Don with more of the R&B style, but I guess I'll wait to see what he puts out there on the new album before I judge it! Right now, we don't know when, but hopefully soon. Maybe he will get it out by Christmas. That would be a nice gift for any Henley fan!:spin:

Freypower
10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Soda, Yes, I forgot that "After Hours' is new, but I didn't get this album because I'm just not into these old songs. It's just not my thing.

As for Don, yes, your right the songs you mention are pretty country. I like Don with more of the R&B style, but I guess I'll wait to see what he puts out there on the new album before I judge it! Right now, we don't know when, but hopefully soon. Maybe he will get it out by Christmas. That would be a nice gift for any Henley fan!:spin:

The song After Hours was written in 1984.

I dont' wish to get off track but it seems a shame that you apparently pre-judged the After Hours album without even listening to it. They are old songs but they are new interpretations - with Glenn's voice. If even that holds no interest for you then there is nothing else to say, I suppose.

Topkat
10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
The song After Hours was written in 1984.

I dont' wish to get off track but it seems a shame that you apparently pre-judged the After Hours album without even listening to it. They are old songs but they are new interpretations - with Glenn's voice. If even that holds no interest for you then there is nothing else to say, I suppose.

FP, I did hear the album, but like I said I am just not into this music, even if Glenn is singing it. He does a fine job with the songs, but I'm not in love with it.

10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
That is fair enough, TK. And as far as prejudging forthcoming releases, don't we do that all the time on this board? I think many of us have speculated and prejudged all of the guys albums just as we have also been doing with the upcoming DVDs and Eagles musical.

Freypower
10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
That is fair enough, TK. And as far as prejudging forthcoming releases, don't we do that all the time on this board? I think many of us have speculated and prejudged all of the guys albums just as we have also been doing with the upcoming DVDs and Eagles musical.

I disagree, I'm afraid. I may speculate, but I don't believe I can prejudge. How is that possible?

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I for one am completely happy that he's releasing an album of country music!! While I am unsure about covers of things like Seven Bridges Road, I expect I will simply love this album. My second favorite voice singing songs I'll probably love. Without sequins and fringes. I'm looking forward to the album and the tour. :nod:

10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I disagree, I'm afraid. I may speculate, but I don't believe I can prejudge. How is that possible?

Seriously? It happens all the time on this board. You don't have to go any further than this thread to read many of us prejudging Don's new album. But, in my opinion, it's certainly no big deal and nothing really wrong with it. It's just something we fans do. :shrug:

Henley Honey
10-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I for one am completely happy that he's releasing an album of country music!! While I am unsure about covers of things like Seven Bridges Road, I expect I will simply love this album. My second favorite voice singing songs I'll probably love. Without sequins and fringes. I'm looking forward to the album and the tour. :nod:

Me too! I have no doubt that I'll love it -- I just wish it'd come out already! Patience may be virtue, but it's not one of mine.

zeldabjr
10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Just getting caught up here. I probably shouldn't even give my opinion because, as I've already said, I most likely won't buy this country album anyways even tho it is Don. But I have to ask, what is he thinking when deciding to remake Eagles songs? Huh? I get that they put them in their solo shows but to actually rerecord them for an album seems a bit over the top. There isn't enough other country songs out there that he could do.

I'm still awaiting patiently for the soul album. I really think Don's voice just screams soul music. My opinion, of course.

I'll buy whatever Don puts out...but I'm with you TBF...would much rather hear him doing soul...

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Me too! I have no doubt that I'll love it -- I just wish it'd come out already! Patience may be virtue, but it's not one of mine.

I was thinking that I got Mom After Hours for Mother's Day, Don's new CD would be perfect for her birthday. :huh: Maybe she'll get it as a stocking stuffer. (Her birthday is the end of this month).

Brooke
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't mind that he's doing some country songs, but remaking Eagles songs is another story. Why would he want to do that? I don't get it at all and I won't buy that. I love all the Eagles songs as they are, no need for remaking!

You know, I really can't even listen to the Uncommon Thread album. I don't want to hear anyone sing those songs except the Eagles. But that's just me. :shrug:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey I'm with HH.
I have no patience....just put it out all ready so I can hear and buy it . Dont care who he sings with and what it is ...I will buy it

tt

Troubadour
10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I am so ready for this album to come out! I am a country fan and I can imagine Don doing some beautiful country songs. I actually don't have a problem with him (or any of the guys) remaking Eagles songs. They won't necessarily be better, or even try to be, they will just be different. Artists do it all the time. For some people it's almost sacrilege... but I don't see it that way. The original song will always exist, no matter how you cover it! Sometimes it's good to branch out and try old things in a new way. I'm sure he will be very respectful of the chosen tracks - after all, he was involved in the writing of them and has sung them more times than he cares to remember! They are his babies, as well as ours. ;)

Can I add Lyle Lovett's name to the list? If he and Don did something together, I would probably explode with excitement! Love his voice and his style of music. I can totally hear Don covering a Lyle song like "Don't You Think I Feel It Too" or "Loretta", although I have the feeling he is going to go further back to the classics, like Merle and George (which I'm just as happy about!)

As I've mentioned before, I heard him do a live cover of Emmylou Harris's "Too Far Gone" and it was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard. I keep hoping that song will be included on this album.

zeldabjr
10-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey I'm with HH.
I have no patience....just put it out all ready so I can hear and buy it . Dont care who he sings with and what it is ...I will buy it

tt

so agree.

StephUK
10-23-2012, 06:21 PM
As I've mentioned before, I heard him do a live cover of Emmylou Harris's "Too Far Gone" and it was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard. I keep hoping that song will be included on this album.

At the Santa Barbara Bowl last year Don & Emmylou sang 'Too far gone' together. That should be on the album. At the time I wished they'd sang 'Love Hurts' but maybe she wouldn't want to sing it with anyone else after the amazing version she did with Gram Parsons.

Houston Debutante
11-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Anxiously awaiting Don's new album. And I don't mind it if he redoes some Eagles songs. I'm sure whatever he does will be great.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I agree, Sara, waiting patiently...

zeldabjr
11-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I agree, Sara, waiting patiently...

or not so patiently!

Houston Debutante
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I wonder what is taking him so long. He hasn't been doing any solo touring and the Eagles are not doing very many shows either.

Topkat
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Don's busy, stop rushing him!! The other night he did 2 shows in 1 night, then off to Vegas for another show. Don is a perfectionist, so it ain't coming out until it's PERFECT! :dizzy:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Don's busy, stop rushing him!! The other night he did 2 shows in 1 night, then off to Vegas for another show. Don is a perfectionist, so it ain't coming out until it's PERFECT! :dizzy:

If by PERFECT you mean when he thinks it's perfect, I'll probably be dead by then! Perhaps my heirs will purchase a copy in my memory...

Houston Debutante
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Rushing him? You must be joking. This thread was started three years ago.

His bandmates have been busy too but they've put out albums. He's only done a handful of shows this year, even if two or three of them were booked close together. Sorry, he's not getting a pass from me although it's not as if he needs one lol.

Anyway if he's waiting for it to be perfect, let's all give up hope right now because that day will never come.

I'm not trying to be a whiner, it's just I'm impatient!

Topkat
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
I can see Don redoing things a million times...I just think that's the way he is, & I think the older he gets the worse he gets with this stuff.
That album may never come out at this rate. So far we have no date or even a clue to the date, so don't hold your breath....When he's ready, he'll let us know...:fear:

11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Rushing him? You must be joking. This thread was started three years ago.

His bandmates have been busy too but they've put out albums. He's only done a handful of shows this year, even if two or three of them were booked close together. Sorry, he's not getting a pass from me although it's not as if he needs one lol.

Anyway if he's waiting for it to be perfect, let's all give up hope right now because that day will never come.

I'm not trying to be a whiner, it's just I'm impatient!

Yeah - it does make you want to scratch your head. We know he's been working on it this year, but it's, obviously, going at a snail's pace. Maybe he has been focusing more on his family lately. But, the bottom line is we ain't gonna get anything until he's ready. Henley time can be excrutiating, can't it! :shock:

EaglesKiwi
11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought I had read on here that Don commented that the album is actually finished, but he doesn't have a deal with a record label to release it...

I would love to get my hands on it!

Houston Debutante
11-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe he could release it himself. I've heard of other artists doing that although I don't know much about what that would entail.

Topkat
11-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I thought I had read on here that Don commented that the album is actually finished, but he doesn't have a deal with a record label to release it...

I would love to get my hands on it!

I find it really hard to believe that Don Henley doesn't have a deal with a record label???? :eyebrow:That is just NOT POSSIBLE

zeldabjr
11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Let's pool our money so we can hear this thing!!:hilarious:

Freypower
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I find it really hard to believe that Don Henley doesn't have a deal with a record label???? :eyebrow:That is just NOT POSSIBLE

Not long ago (June, actually) he was quoted as saying that he didn't have a deal. ETA: I found the article. That was also when he was saying he expected to have it finished by mid-July.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120622/ENT/120622014/Ahead-Reno-show-Don-Henley-talks-music-school-boards-life-out-spotlight?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

sodascouts
11-21-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't think it's that labels don't want him; they know he's a proven talent. I think it's that they don't want to give him the kind of deal he's asking for.

Just a hunch.

11-21-2012, 12:59 AM
I agree with your hunch, Soda. As a matter of fact, I have the same one. :thumbsup:

Brooke
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Yup, money talks!

EaglesKiwi
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I've just read the thread about Don & Glenn appearing on the Geffen documentary - from that I think Don has many reasons to be fussy about negotiating a deal. I may have to be patient!

Topkat
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that sounds more like it. I bet the whole thing is finished & Don is holding out for more money. That sounds just like him....Well, I guess we wait :ziplip:

EaglesKiwi
11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that sounds more like it. I bet the whole thing is finished & Don is holding out for more money. That sounds just like him....Well, I guess we wait :ziplip:
Well, it may not be just about the money. I suggest that promotion of the album is a big factor (otherwise he could just release it himself?), and also Don may not want to be tied into a multi-album agreement again, having been burnt previously - and I would think that would be something the record labels would push for if they're going to invest in promotion.

StephUK
11-22-2012, 05:45 PM
They must be someone out there who will promote the album! Walmart did the LROOE(whatever we might think about that!) so Don must be able to find a deal - as long as he's not too greedy.

What's better though, get a lesser amount from the deal or not put the album out at all and get no money(plus losing what he's already spent on recording it)?

Houston Debutante
11-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Let's not get carried away about Don being greedy and holding out, this is all speculation. But he needs to get this out, whatever the holdup is, for real.

EasyFeeling
12-21-2012, 04:55 AM
It looks like Don is still working on the new album because Gregg Bissonette just finished working on a couple songs.

sodascouts
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info. If anything good comes out of Tim's situation, perhaps it will be the realization that time is precious and if you want to put out an album, you need to do it while you can instead of dithering about it for nigh on four years.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the info. If anything good comes out of Tim's situation, perhaps it will be the realization that time is precious and if you want to put out an album, you need to do it while you can instead of dithering about it for nigh on four years.
i second that emotion........
hope it wakes them all up a little bit...
life and time are precious

gibsonmartin
01-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Glad to note I'm not alone with my frustration and disappointment over the long-delayed release of Henley's 2 albums (i.e., one country and one covers/soul?) Noted that the record company behind Analog Man is not one of the usual big-name recording companies. Maybe he can reach out to his friend Jackson Browne who's pretty tight with Inside Recordings. Or maybe he can produce it himself.

The question I'd like to pose to the community is: given all these delays, when do you think these 2 albums would see the light of day?

Thanks.

gibsonmartin
01-01-2013, 05:19 AM

Thanks for putting it that way, Sodascouts. I agree with your insight. I sure hope they see/he sees it this way as well. Yup, his "perfectionism" can sometimes be a double-edged sword. Over the years, I have often wondered why he never bothered to release say, his VH1 Storytellers and Unplugged episodes on CD or DVD while his peers led by the likes of Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Sting, Bruce Springsteen were doing it left and right in between their next albums. When he did update his Actual Miles, The End of the Innocence was not included in the DVD video compilation.

gibsonmartin
01-01-2013, 05:33 AM
I was just thinking the same thing, after reading about Glenn & Joe and their albums. Okay, so Don is known for taking absolutely forever to get an album out, but his was being talked about long before the others were mentioned. Hope we see something from Mr Henley real soon. :pray:

Your inputs are spot-on, StephUK. Long before Analog Man and After Hours were released, Henley has been speaking to the press about his 2 albums which unfortunately will eventually be just 1.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for putting it that way, Sodascouts. I agree with your insight. I sure hope they see/he sees it this way as well. Yup, his "perfectionism" can sometimes be a double-edged sword. Over the years, I have often wondered why he never bothered to release say, his VH1 Storytellers and Unplugged episodes on CD or DVD while his peers led by the likes of Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Sting, Bruce Springsteen were doing it left and right in between their next albums. When he did update his Actual Miles, The End of the Innocence was not included in the DVD video compilation.

he shudda released them jmo

01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Yep - It's too bad we didn't get a solo album from Don in 2012 - we can only hope that we'll see it this year. However, quite honestly, if releasing it would interfere with any Eagles plans at this point, I'd just as soon he continue to put it on the back burner. In a perfect world, maybe we'll get both a Henley solo album and a new Eagles tour this year! :pray:

sodascouts
01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Glad to note I'm not alone with my frustration and disappointment over the long-delayed release of Henley's 2 albums (i.e., one country and one covers/soul?) Noted that the record company behind Analog Man is not one of the usual big-name recording companies. Maybe he can reach out to his friend Jackson Browne who's pretty tight with Inside Recordings. Or maybe he can produce it himself.

The question I'd like to pose to the community is: given all these delays, when do you think these 2 albums would see the light of day?

Thanks.

The country album would hopefully be released this year or the next, unless Don just lets it sit on the shelf indefinitely. However, we can only speculate, as his projected release date has come and gone yet again. Since the soul/R&B album hasn't been spoken of in a while, I don't see it happening any time soon, although he apparently continues to work on it.

Welcome!

sodascouts
01-01-2013, 03:18 PM
It looks like Don is still working on the new album because Gregg Bissonette just finished working on a couple songs.

Something just occurred to me.... Isn't Bissonette more Jazz/rock than country? Maybe this is for the R&B album.

Topkat
01-01-2013, 03:44 PM
I don't even think about this album anymore, When Don is ready to release it, he will. It's been so long that who knows if it is even going to happen.
Besides, if the Eagles are going to do a big tour in 2013, for the 41st Anniversary, I can't see Don releasing a solo album at the same time. He would probably want to do at least a small tour for the new album, so I can't see these both going on at the same time. I would rather see a new big Eagles tour than wait on Don...He just does things at his own pace, & I guess the timing is just not right for him right now. If he did it when Joe & Glenn released their albums, that would have been OK, because they had time to tour their solo albums, & Don could have done the same.
Now, it's late, with the DVD release & the supposed new tour....well, doesn't seem like it will happen.

Don't hold your breath folks!

EaglesKiwi
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Something just occurred to me.... Isn't Bissonette more Jazz/rock than country? Maybe this is for the R&B album.
I thought the same thing, Soda. I think Bissonette appeared on the Inside Job album? I guess he could be working on either... and all we can do is keep on hoping the album/s come/s out. Soon, please.

TimothyBFan
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't even think about this album anymore, When Don is ready to release it, he will. It's been so long that who knows if it is even going to happen.
Besides, if the Eagles are going to do a big tour in 2013, for the 41st Anniversary, I can't see Don releasing a solo album at the same time. He would probably want to do at least a small tour for the new album, so I can't see these both going on at the same time. I would rather see a new big Eagles tour than wait on Don...He just does things at his own pace, & I guess the timing is just not right for him right now. If he did it when Joe & Glenn released their albums, that would have been OK, because they had time to tour their solo albums, & Don could have done the same.
Now, it's late, with the DVD release & the supposed new tour....well, doesn't seem like it will happen.

Don't hold your breath folks!

I agree. I've just given up on this one for awhile. :depressed:

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 01:34 PM
The country album would hopefully be released this year or the next, unless Don just lets it sit on the shelf indefinitely. However, we can only speculate, as his projected release date has come and gone yet again. Since the soul/R&B album hasn't been spoken of in a while, I don't see it happening any time soon, although he apparently continues to work on it.

Welcome!

Thanks, Soda. I appreciate the various inputs I read about in this message board. I wonder though why the Eagles are not as open to fan inputs as say their contemporaries from the 70s. I'm a James Taylor fan myself and JT's site provides email access to fans. Ditto with Eric Clapton and Jennifer Warnes. In the case of Jennifer Warnes, she even has an official rep who writes back. The Border, L & M and EaglesOnline are much more helpful in providing band and solo member updates than their official website.

Brooke
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe they think that 'hey, we are getting this done for free by our fans, why pay someone?'

Just a thought! :lol:

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Maybe they think that 'hey, we are getting this done for free by our fans, why pay someone?'

Just a thought! :lol:

Good proactive answer which tends to melt away the frustration, Brooke. :-) Cheers!

Houston Debutante
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Maybe he's thinking of releasing both of them at once or one on the heels of the other.

sodascouts
01-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Just bringing this link over because here, Don says that the album is going to be released in May!

http://www.atlanticcityinsiders.com/headliners/don-henley-takes-over-revel-friday/article_4ad672be-6721-11e2-b9fa-001a4bcf887a.html

tequila girl
01-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Woohooooo
I did read somewhere that he's going to be coming to UK in Feb to promote it! :partytime:

Glennhoney
01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I heard (or read) about that too TG!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Very excited! Maybe he'll tour more with it.

Brooke
01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Finally! :yay:

Topkat
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
If Don's album comes out in May, I would think he would do at least a small tour to promote it....I wonder how that will affect the Eagles tour???? I hope there aren't any delays on that because things can all get moved forward if anything happens.
Did they say the "History of the Eagles Tour" would start in the summer? Any dates mentioned at Sundance ? I forgot.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 01:35 PM
If Don's album comes out in May, I would think he would do at least a small tour to promote it....I wonder how that will affect the Eagles tour???? I hope there aren't any delays on that because things can all get moved forward if anything happens.
Did they say the "History of the Eagles Tour" would start in the summer? Any dates mentioned at Sundance ? I forgot.

In an interview during the festival, Don said that the Eagles tour would start in June. While we have no idea of his solo plans and schedule, he probably knows it already, so I'm hoping that means no delay!

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Woohooooo
I did read somewhere that he's going to be coming to UK in Feb to promote it! :partytime:

My heart skipped a beat when I read this! I hope this is true.

I am so excited about the new album coming out in May. Just in time for my birthday. ;)

tequila girl
01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Mine's in May as well Troub..........Happy Birthday to us!! :partytime::guitar:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Don will be on WMGK, 102.9 in Philly, at 5:25. I'm hoping he'll mention his new album, which is why I'm putting the info in this thread. They have a Listen Live feature at http://www.wmgk.com/

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Thank you so much, VA. I just listened to it and I am a very happy girl! It was a short phonecall, but he sounded great and chatted easily with the host. Perfect bedtime listening! :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Thank you so much, VA. I just listened to it and I am a very happy girl! It was a short phonecall, but he sounded great and chatted easily with the host. Perfect bedtime listening! :heart:

I just came here to post the entire 20 minute interview! Still listening...

http://www.wmgk.com/shows/andre-gardner/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10495316

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
OMG, there's more?! Thank you! I suppose I can afford to stay up a little later to listen to this... ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
WE HAVE AN ALBUM NAME!! Cass County!!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 07:00 PM
He still has two songs for the album that he's working on, and there's 16 songs so he needs to figure out which ones to cut out. It'll be out in May, no date given.

He gave Randy Newman a lot of kudos.

He's writing an autobiography and it'll be a 'few years' before it goes anywhere. His tone of voice, to me, implied that 'few' is a lot more than three or four.

The History of the Eagles tour is not set in stone, apparently. If they do it, of course they'll have a stop in Philly.

The DVD will be out the third week of April (which we heard before, so that's consistent).

Timothy is healthy, dodged a real bullet, and he's doing just fine, no problems there.

tequila girl
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for finding that VA - just listened.....Don sounds HOT!! :heart:

Freypower
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
He still has two songs for the album that he's working on, and there's 16 songs so he needs to figure out which ones to cut out. It'll be out in May, no date given.

He gave Randy Newman a lot of kudos.

He's writing an autobiography and it'll be a 'few years' before it goes anywhere. His tone of voice, to me, implied that 'few' is a lot more than three or four.

The History of the Eagles tour is not set in stone, apparently. If they do it, of course they'll have a stop in Philly.

The DVD will be out the third week of April (which we heard before, so that's consistent).

Timothy is healthy, dodged a real bullet, and he's doing just fine, no problems there.

Sometimes I wish they wouldn't make pronouncements before they make final decisions. Don was the one who said at Sundance that they would start the tour in June. Of course he will want to tour his own album but why....

01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Yep - as I said at the time of the press conference at Sundance - these guys can be date-challenged. When they throw out a date I always take them with a grain of salt and try to never get my hopes up until I hear an official release date or official announcement in the case of tours.

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
He's writing an autobiography (how am I just hearing about this & i never thought he'd write one out of all of them) and he wonders if it will sell. I'd buy it. :thumbsup: Can I order my now. I hate the whole date challengeness of the band, though i'd probably have a hard time meshing all those schedules too. Oh Welll, patience is a virtue to bad its not my virtue. :angel:

All in all great interview.. So much to dream about i the future....:partytime:

TimothyBFan
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
With those of you who are talking about the "if we tour...." "not set in stone...", etc.... It's a bit frustrating when you hear something that gets your hopes up and then hear out of one of their mouths, "IF..."

Noticed that Don said, "at least one former member...." So I'm not going to rule out an additional member somewhere.

Loved hearing him actually say "Timothy is fine now....". We had read it several places but to actually hear Don say it!!!Woo Hoo!!!

Best news from the interview that I got excited about was the whole working on a book thing. Yippee!! That's him and Glenn. Again, we know how fast they work on some of this stuff but still something else to look forward to.

I received a message last night when a certain Borderer (not mentioning any names but if she wants to come forward....) was listening to this and was so excited hearing his voice, she said she was almost in tears.... I can totally see why. He's not only one of my favorite vocalist but I love hearing his talking voice. Yummo!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
In the interview, Don said some of the songs were 'traditional country'. I know there's quite a few of you who aren't into country music, but you have no idea how excited I am about this!!!!!!!!!!!! I so hope this comes out in time to be part of a Mother's Day gift to my mother!

It is nearly impossible to listen to country music these days and hear something worthwhile. It'll be good to get my hands on something I already know will be worthwhile.

01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Well - when I first read about Don's interview in this thread, I totally missed the part about him working on his autobiography. So when I was listening to the interview and he mentioned it, I almost peed in my pants. :grin: I can't wait to read this and Glenn's too. Now, we need to hear from the other guys.

VA, as you know, I'm one of those that is not a big fan of country music so I'm not quite as thrilled about this, although I already knew that was the direction Don was going with this album. However, I actually like some country songs and acts (can we say Keith Urban) so I'm going to withhold judgment until I hear the album. I can't imagine that I'll detest it - I mean, after all, Don's voice alone has to make the songs listenable for me. In any event, I'm happy that it looks like it's going to finally see the light of day.

Houston Debutante
01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
OMG I am so excited! Finally!!

His speaking voice is as sexy as his singing voice.

An autobiography would be terrific, he's so eloquent, I'm sure the book would be incredible but I agree we shouldn't expect it anytime soon.

It's great he's promoting it in the UK but I hope he doesn't forget to do it over here too, especially more shows ~ shows in Texas please!

I love country music ~ not just the 'classic' but also newer songs as well. I am looking forward to this so much, it's been so long since we've had new solo music from Don.

Love, love, love!!!

Troubadour
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
I received a message last night when a certain Borderer (not mentioning any names but if she wants to come forward....) was listening to this and was so excited hearing his voice, she said she was almost in tears.... I can totally see why. He's not only one of my favorite vocalist but I love hearing his talking voice. Yummo!!!

Okay, I'll hold my hands up. This is why I love The Border. If I shared this with anyone else, they'd think I was beyond help! I love that you love Don's voice, Willie. I know you and he have your differences ;) but it makes me happy to know that you appreciate his voice so much and rank him as one of your favourites.

Like VA and HD, I am very excited that the album will have a classic country vibe. I always got the impression that it would, and I absolutely can't wait to hear it. I love the old stuff... George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard (I know Don is a big fan of Merle), and more recent Texan artists like Townes Van Zandt and Lyle Lovett. Of course, Gram Parsons is also on my favourites list and I know that he influenced a lot of the young musicians at the Troubadour in the early '70s by "playing Waylon and Merle over and over until people got it." Country music has had a big influence on all of the musicians I love.

Don has the voice to do some real, old-fashioned, heartbreaking, romantic country songs, and I just can't wait to revel in this album. The voice, the lyrics, the pictures and design on the sleeve... everything.

sodascouts
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
So very glad this is happening and I'm looking forward to it immensely! Don has a voice like no other. He will do justice to these country classics, I'm sure. I'm eager to see what songs he's picked. While I don't listen to country music regularly, I appreciate the good stuff. Kenny Rogers, George Strait, Alabama, Trisha Yearwood... those are just a few I can name off of the top of my head that I enjoy. Bring it on!

Let's not forget there will be a few original songs too. Looking forward to those as well!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
A thirty minute special on KOOL 983 in South Jersey. Here's the text of the Facebook status that was posted:

It's a "Kool Conversation with Don Henley" Thursday night at 6:30 on Kool 98.3! Don't miss this 30-minute special featuring Don's biggest hits and his answers to our questions on all things Henley!

Listen Live at http://kool983.com/

Brooke
01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
What a great interview! Don sounds great and in a good mood. I'm loving that he is planning on writing his autobiography! Wonderful! I'll buy it for sure, but won't hold my breath for it! We know how much time he takes with these things! :pace:

Oh, and he didn't mention any remakes of Eagles songs. Maybe that was the other album he has been working on. Good.

As for the new album, I can take some country. I love Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert (and her offshoot, Pistol Annies), and Eric Church for newbies and I love lots of the old standards such as George Jones, Merle Haggard, Alabama, Alan Jackson, and George Strait. I know his voice will do any country songs justice.

It's funny, I love watching the country videos on tv, but I hate listening to it on the radio. It seems country radio picks about 5 songs to play and they play them so much that what you liked you learn to hate! They just play them to death! Maybe that's just me though.

Topkat
01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I did hear Don say that the new album was country, but he also said "alt country" which I'm thinking is kind of the newer country people like Keith Urban, The Band Perry, etc. I am not a big country fan, but some of the new stuff is kind of country pop or alt, which I think is what he was referring to. I thought he also said that he has a few "guest appearances" on the album, so I would be interested to know who that might be?? I do know he got together with John Rich, so he may possibly be one of the guests....
Well, at last we have a date or a month which is not too far away for the release....FINALLY!!!!:partytime::partytime::party time::partytime:

tequila girl
01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Oh, and he didn't mention any remakes of Eagles songs. Maybe that was the other album he has been working on. Good.

I thought the other album was going to be R & B it's so long ago now since it was first mentioned can't really remember..

TimothyBFan
01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Don has the voice to do some real, old-fashioned, heartbreaking, romantic country songs, and I just can't wait to revel in this album. The voice, the lyrics, the pictures and design on the sleeve... everything.

I know the other album, or as I like to call it, "the lost album" because we haven't heard anything about it for forever now, is suppose to be a R & B album and I think his voice would be awesome doing that. But then again, I truly believe Don could sing the phone book and make it sound sexy!! :thumbsup:

tequila girl
01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Couldn't agree more TBF!! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM

I noticed that too. I hope neither album has them... I hope somebody clued him in on what a bad idea that was and he nixed the remakes.

Houston Debutante
01-31-2013, 01:42 PM
LOVE these interviews. Counting down 'til May ~ and hoping we'll hear about tour dates too, even if it's only a few. Maybe he will do a hometown date, I can drive up there easily.

EaglesKiwi
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Getting very excited about "Cass County" (sounds more real now there's a name!. May is Mothers Day down here... :angel:

Sounds like Don is "doing the rounds" of radio interviews to promote the new album??? Again, makes it more real - we might actually get it!

01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
I agree EK - sounds like it's really gonna happen this time! :yay:

sodascouts
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Another thing I was thinking... surely his official website will be updated for this. Let's keep an eye on donhenley.com (http://www.donhenley.com). He could also assent to the creation of an official Facebook account for promotional purposes, but I'm not holding my breath on that! lol

tequila girl
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Are you kidding Soda - I don't think that site has been updated for a couple of years........I think he's forgot he has it! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
This is really exciting. I love country music and I'd say a country album with Don on vocals will be really great to listen to.
Looking forward to this!

tequila girl
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
^^^ Me too!! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Another thing I was thinking... surely his official website will be updated for this. Let's keep an eye on donhenley.com (http://www.donhenley.com). He could also assent to the creation of an official Facebook account for promotional purposes, but I'm not holding my breath on that! lol

After the conversation he had in that one Philly interview, I highly doubt it. He pretty much said he doesn't have any plans to ever FB or Tweet. In fact said that the "official" Eagles website is updated often (which I had to laugh about because no it is not) and that's pretty much all he promotes. Made a comment about having people that "patrol" the web and take down fake FB accounts, etc.. which I agree with.

Houston Debutante
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I hate fakers, I'm glad he has people looking out for that, but the best way to get all the fakes off is to make an official one. Too bad he's not interested, I think it would help him reach younger fans.

Topkat
02-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Here's another article about Don's new album!!!:)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-new-solo-album/

Troubadour
02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks, TK! That's a decent summary of the Philadelphia radio interview for those who didn't get to listen to it. I am growing more excited by the day about this album!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
troub

andre gardner is on wmgk out of philly.
try their website...you might find a post of it there ..thats what they ususally do.
I have to check it out later when I have time..let me know if you can or cant find it.

Troubadour
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Oh, I've listened to it, TT. VA kindly found the link to the full interview and posted it a little while ago! Here (http://www.wmgk.com/shows/andre-gardner/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10495316) it is. Enjoy!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-03-2013, 04:42 PM
thanks troub...i love andre gardner ..listen to him everynite on my commute home...he rocks and has been around for ever thanks again

Troubadour
02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
You're welcome! He sounds like a really nice guy. Don signs off by saying something like "It's always good to talk to another survivor of this business" so I guessed he's been around for a while!

Houston Debutante
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm getting more and more excited about the album with every interview and article.

Victim of Love
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Jack Tempchin posted to his FB page about two hours ago!!!

]"Eagles Don Henley out with 'Cass County' solo album in May! "There are also plans in the works for an upcoming Eagles tour. According to Henley, the show will focus on the 40-year history of the band, which will bring one former member back into the fold."

Here's the link to the article....

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-new-solo-album/

Brooke
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
:yay:

02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Bring it on, Don!!!

Houston Debutante
02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Counting down til May ~ I hope Don spends time promoting the album, still can't believe he passed up the opportunity to say something at the concert in Atlantic City.

EaglesKiwi
04-01-2013, 03:23 AM
Don's album is due out next month... really looking forward to it. I haven't seen any "preorder" info yet, though. (Has anybody?).

Henley Honey
04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Nope. Not yet. Maybe he'll mention it on Wednesday at the Paramount. I'll be sure to post it if he does!

Houston Debutante
04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I hope he does but I have a bad feeling it may not come out in May after all ~ hope I'm wrong.

04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I hope Don does mention it a the show, HH. But, I'm with HD - since we haven't heard a word about it lately, I'm losing hope that it'll have a May release date. I'd love to be wrong though. :twisted:

Henley Honey
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I hope Don does mention it a the show, HH. But, I'm with HD - since we haven't heard a word about it lately, I'm losing hope that it'll have a May release date. I'd love to be wrong though. :twisted:

It's coming out in September!!! He was leaving from NY to go to Nashville today to finish it. It Don't Matter To The Sun may be on it. He hasn't decided yet.

Troubadour
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Kind of bummed about the release date being pushed back to September (no birthday Don album for me!) but not entirely surprised. I just hope this really will be it. :pray:

zeldabjr
04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Does September mean January in Eagles language?....hope not

sodascouts
04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not laying any money on September either at this rate. Obviously there is no one actually holding Don accountable to release the album by the dates he throws out there. Being your own boss can be both a blessing and a curse.

WalshFan88
04-08-2013, 02:35 AM
I'm not holding my breath.. I hope it is September.

Houston Debutante
04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Trying not to get discouraged. :( Surely it must come out sometime! He wouldn't do all this work for nothing, would he?