PDA

View Full Version : Song that have a climactic moment

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I thought of starting this thread several weeks ago but had a problem - the songs I wanted to use as my examples did not have a good Youtube video of them. So...when life throws you lemons make lemonade! I learned how to make my own youtube videos, a major accomplishment for me.

Now, when I think of climactic moments in songs I almost always think of drum crescendos, and that's what these two examples have.

In 1976 I was introduced to a progressive rock band out of nearby Champaign-Urbana, IL called Starcastle. I was fortunate enough to see them in concert once and several years ago replaced my long-gone self-titled album with a CD. I understand they are not everybody's cup of tea, so if you prefer to only listen to the part that showcases the climactic moment you can go to 6:20, with the actual crescendo at 6:28.

The song is called Sunfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvt6-Veb90

My next example is not going to surprise most of you. Jackson Browne's For Everyman has not one but two drum crescendos - one to start the song and then the more climactic one starting at 5:00 and happening at 5:22. This song is becoming one of my faves just for this reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZz703r8IBg

I hope you enjoy my videos. They were a labor of love.

How about you? What songs have climactic moments for you?

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I thought of starting this thread several weeks ago but had a problem - the songs I wanted to use as my examples did not have a good Youtube video of them. So...when life throws you lemons make lemonade! I learned how to make my own youtube videos, a major accomplishment for me.

So, do you still want to hang with us technologically challenged folk? :hilarious: Actually, I'm very proud of you!! :applause: I haven't even tried, so I am very impressed!!!

I will think on this subject, but offhand, I'd say about 90% of everything Zeppelin or Floyd has done have a climactic moment!

tequila girl
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
As I was reading your post Cathy I was actually listening to Everyman - it's one of my fav's too....love the bit where he puts the extra "Make" in....

Make it on your own, Make it if you think you can...

That was a lovely video, you tied all the pictures up so well - Well Done! :thumbsup:

Annabel
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Woo! Go you PM :thumbsup: Great videos.

I'd chose Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight as a fave with a climatic moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

Love the drums in that.

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
That's a great one Annabel! Who can forget this steamy train scene in Risky Business? The climactic (musical) :hilarious: moment for me comes at 1:18 in this video (approx. 3:15 in yours).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlTGhe3YoE&feature

MikeA
04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Starland Vocal Band

"Afternoon Delight"

TimothyBFan
04-12-2011, 03:04 PM
:rofl:OMG!! I can't believe you really went there!!!

MikeA
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
It was set up too nicely to ignore! Besides, I've got a very low sense of humor.

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Freypower
04-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't have enough knowledge to make an exact judgment but for me the orchestral sequence before 'woke up, got out of bed' in A Day In The Life, then all the 'aaah aaah harmonies' & another big orchestral chord before the 'Blackburn, Lancashire' verse would qualify.

In Stairway To Heaven I think both the 'if there's a bustle in your hedgerow' part & the entry to the guitar solo are climactic. I agree with In The Air Tonight.

Molly
04-12-2011, 07:38 PM
The first song that came to mind is "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Ahem, Molly... not exactly the kind of climax I was talking about...or do I need to get my mind out of the gutter? :makeout:

WalshFan88
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Ahem, Molly... not exactly the kind of climax I was talking about...or do I need to get my mind out of the gutter? :makeout:

:twisted::hilarious:

TimothyBFan
04-13-2011, 08:21 AM

You're as bad as Mike and his Afternoon Delight!!! :rofl: Love it!!

Molly
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM
You're as bad as Mike and his Afternoon Delight!!! :rofl: Love it!!

OK, that it NOT why it was the first song to come to mind. :angel: Meatloaf and dramatic crescendo type songs seem to go hand in hand. Rock opera and all that.

Besides it's baseball season, so it seemed extra appropriate. :lie: (And no, there is not hidden sexual innuendo to the use of this smiley!)

However, now that you naughty minded people mention it :fingerwag:, it does seem to kill two birds with one stone. :heybaby::thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
OK --I stand corrected but I think what we were all thinking is much funner!!

Anyways...... DUH.... I just heard this and couldn't believe no ones put it here yet (I think anyways)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp8CNj9qBI

MikeA
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Molly, I can't think of a better example than "Dashboard". Both musically and lyrically.

I read somewhere or maybe it was in an interview where Meatloaf demo'd that song for a producer in the producer's office. He had pretty much ripped the clothes of the girl singing with him and was on top of the conference table acting out the lyrics! Pretty much blew the Producer away! If I can find the time, I'll try to find that reference.

Meat does have a bent toward the dramatic!

"STOP! Do you love me. Will you love me forever, will you make me your wife?"

Just plain cruel <LOL>

Ive always been a dreamer
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Okay - Now the "Dashboard" thing is just funny ... ROFLMAO!!!

Troubadour
04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
YES to Dixie!

I also love Pink Floyd's "Time" when the singing starts... It starts off loud with the clocks, then goes quiet and atmospheric... then David Gilmour's voice cuts in and it's so rocky and almost sort of threatening (in the sense that it's a warning - time is running out). Gives me goosebumps every time! Particularly the part towards the middle/end. "And you run and you run..." One of my favourite songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiahoYfPGk

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I love 'Time' too Lou and I think I know the bit you mean....but I can't listen right now as i'm listening to Desperado (In readiness!) :wink:

sodascouts
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
PM, wonderful job on the videos! I especially liked what you did with "Sunfield" even if I did have to mute the song after a couple minutes. lol Not my cup of tea indeed! Still, very creative. Kudos!

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 07:51 AM
YES to Dixie!

I also love Pink Floyd's "Time" when the singing starts... It starts off loud with the clocks, then goes quiet and atmospheric... then David Gilmour's voice cuts in and it's so rocky and almost sort of threatening (in the sense that it's a warning - time is running out). Gives me goosebumps every time! Particularly the part towards the middle/end. "And you run and you run..." One of my favourite songs.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prettymaid
04-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words about the videos. It's fun being creative!