PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Sidney Harmon (audio equipment fame)

jdubfan
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.socaltech.com/harmon_kardon_founder_sidney_harmon_dies/s-0035095.html

The first receiver I saved long and hard for, at the age of 16, was a Harmon Kardon....it rocked hard for a long time.

sodascouts
04-15-2011, 03:36 AM
RIP.

MikeA
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
I never had Harman Kardon equipment, but it wasn't because I didn't want it. It's just that at the time I bought receivers, it was Techniques or Akai or Scott or Panasonic that were "on sale" when I had the need. But the HK's were very well thought of with the audiophiles back in the 60's and 70's.

The first Component Stereo system I had was one purchased through Radio Shack. There were no Realistic brands on any of the equipment...it was all SCOTT. Scott Receiver, Scott bookshelf speakers and a Scott 1010s turntable. That equipment metamorphed over the years with upgrades and additions including Bose 501 direct reflecting floor speakers, a Realistic Tape Recorder (reel to reel) and later a Panasonic Dolby Cassette Deck. During a move to Wichita in 1976, the Movers crushed my amp and turntable and the insurance provided "replacement". The Scott equipment was not available in '76 so I ended up with a Techniques Receiver and Turntable.

The Receiver and the Bose speakers were all blown up by my son after he used them with an Epiphone Les Paul guitar! He didn't have an amp and was using the Techniques as a guitar amp! I think that was in the mid-eighties so I got a good run out of all of that equipment. I still use the Techniques turntable occasionally to rip vinyl to digital format.

WalshFan88
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Harmon Kardon speakers are what I use on my Desktop recording iMac. May he RIP.