PDA

View Full Version : Specific Setlist Requests

sodascouts
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
We've done "Dream setlists" before, but if you could give the Eagles more realistic advice on one or two songs they should do or drop, what would you say?

I think the reason NKIT was dropped was that it was too hard to sing well consistently, and that Tequila Sunrise was dropped because it was a slow song and they felt they had enough of those. As a result, I'm not going to go with those.

Instead, I would recommend adding back Already Gone and Somebody, and dropping Rocky Mountain Way and All She Wants to Do Is Dance.

RMW and ASWTDID are already nixed sometimes, indicating that the band believes they are expendable. I agree. They are just solo songs, after all, albeit terrific ones. I say, don't just skip them on occasion - replace them with something on a regular basis! Yeah, it would mean shaking up the encore, but is that really such a bad thing? Plus, "Already Gone" would be a cool encore for obvious reasons.

They even use a snippet of Already Gone in ads for their concerts - that tells you all you need to know about its appeal right there! And if I can hit all the notes singing along in the car, it must not be that hard to sing. :lol:

As far as Somebody, it's rockin' and it's new. If they feel the set is too ballad-heavy, especially with regard to Glenn's vocals, why not? Perhaps they felt it didn't get a good reception, I don't know. It seemed as well-received as the other new material at the shows I went to, indeed more so than some of the newer songs such as the title track.

OK, so those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Ive always been a dreamer
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Okay - Here are my choices for changes to the current setlist. My additions are very "Glenn heavy" because Glenn has taken such a reduced role in recent years. I want to correct this because I believe most fans go to shows to hear the hits, whether they are Eagles or solo songs. Also, I am recommending that this no longer be considered the Long Road Out of Eden tour since the band has completed a worldwide sweep with this tour. Therefore, I am leaving in How Long, and one other LROOE song for each band member.

So here's what I would eliminate ...

1) No More Walks In the Wood
2) Long Road Out of Eden (although I love this, I don't think it plays that well with casual fans)
3) No More Cloudy Days
4) All She Wants To Do Is Dance (I love it, but it is expendable)
5) The obscure musical interlude that opens the acoustic set

And here's what I would replace them with ...

1) New Kid In Town (honestly, I don't see why this would be any harder to sing than Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone, Somebody, or Heartache Tonight)
2) Tequila Sunrise
3) Already Gone (I love Somebody as well, but these two songs are similar so I went with the one that was a hit)
4) You Belong To the City (it was a huge hit, and Glenn needs a solo song)
5) I Dreamed There Was No War (The obscure musical interlude that opens the acoustic set need to be replace with an Eagles song)

So here's what my setlist would be ...

[Set 1]
Seven Bridges Road
How Long
I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
Guilty of the Crime
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can’t Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Boys of Summer
In the City
New Kid In Town
The Long Run

[Intermission]

[Set 2]
I Dreamed There Was No War (musical interlude)
Tequila Sunrise
Waiting in the Weeds
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Take it to the Limit
Best of My Love

Already Gone
Walk Away
One of these Nights

Life’s Been Good
You Belong To the City
Dirty Laundry
Funk 49
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane

[B][Encore]
Desperado
Rocky Mountain Way
Take It Easy

luvthelighthouse
04-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Eliminate:

Boys of Summer - I LOVE it, but ...
Dirty Laudry
Life's Been Good - Again love it, but it IS an Eagles concert
No More Walks In the Wood

Replace with:

New Kid In Town
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
One Of Those Nights - I think the smokey sexiness of this song would really get the crowd going!

ETA: Sorry... I missed where Soda said one or two songs! To w/that in mind... any songs I mentioned for elimination... but the add would be AG and OOTN.

WalshFan88
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Take away Long Road Out Of Eden and No More Cloudy Days and add back in "Already Gone" and "New Kid In Town". AFAIK, One Of These Nights is in the current setlist. I DO miss Already Gone though. One of my fav Eagles tunes.

I do disagree with the suggested removal of "Life's Been Good" though. :argue: :lol: I would be okay with removal of Rocky Mountain Way though. Heck, I'd even be okay with removal of Funk #49 OR Walk Away (RMW and one of those two, not all three!!!) But it does NOT seem right to my brain that I go to an Eagles show and not hear Life's Been Good. I can't lie, it would take a huge chunk of enjoyment out of the show for me. I saw them in '08 and LBG was one of my faves from the night... I don't like the idea of it going AT ALL.

FWIW, I much prefer the "Eagles Live" version of LBG and just Eagles live versions of the song in general to the studio track on But Seriously Folks. The way Walsh and Felder played on that track together (LIVE) is nothing short of amazing. I think every guy should have two solo songs in a show. My preference would be Joe with Life's Been Good and Walk Away, Don with Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry, and Glenn with Smuggler's Blues and The Heat Is On, etc.

luvthelighthouse
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I didn't realize OOTN was in the current set list. Guess it's been a while since I've seen them. Yes, I can can see removing RMW instead of LBG. Either is fine. I'm pretty much of the school... no solo songs at an Eagles concert. Not that I don't LOVE some of them... but I'm a purist... I want me some Eagles!

WalshFan88
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I didn't realize OOTN was in the current set list. Guess it's been a while since I've seen them. Yes, I can can see removing RMW instead of LBG. Either is fine. I'm pretty much of the school... no solo songs at an Eagles concert. Not that I don't LOVE some of them... but I'm a purist... I want me some Eagles!

I like OOTN too - don't get me wrong. I love the guitar solo in that one especially. I'm glad it's in the setlist.

As far as LBG - I just can't imagine a show without it... The other solo songs are cool if they do or don't but LBG although officially a solo tune I think it is a classic Eagles song in the sense I much prefer the Eagles versions of the tune. It just sounds better with all of the players and voices on it... And the high and low octave solo (Walsh usually plays the low part and Stu/Felder the high part).

Freypower
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
ASWTDID hasn't been in the setlist for a while. (ETA after Soda's post; well, it's nowhere near as regular as it was).

I have never really dared to state outright which songs I would drop; especially as the ones I would drop are all Eagles songs. But here goes. I would drop The Long Run, In The City & Love Will Keep Us Alive.

I think Boys of Summer & Dirty Laundry have had an exceptionally good run & could be at least supplemented with Smuggler's Blues & You Belong To The City if it was sung the way it was originally.

I would instantly reinstate New Kid In Town, Tequila Sunrise & Already Gone; and like Dreamer I make no apology for this being 'Glenn heavy' because the current situation is ridiculous.

It would be nice, instead of just dropping songs from LROOE as they did after one show in Sydney, if they added a couple: Frail Grasp & You Are Not Alone spring to mind, as does Do Something. I was lucky that I saw Somebody three times. It should be in the set.

ETA: I notice that Dreamer put Take It Easy in its rightful place at the very end of the show. This crazy situation where it was even being played before Rocky Mountain Way, went too far. It should be last & it should always have been last.

sodascouts
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Great input so far!

New Kid In Town (honestly, I don't see why this would be any harder to sing than Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone, Somebody, or Heartache Tonight)

Try singing along with these songs. I'll be that you find the "willing to hold her" part of NKIT a bit more of a stretch vocally than anything in the other songs you listed. I know I do! The chorus of Heartache Tonight can also be challenging, especially if your voice isn't in top form, but it's not quite as hard. Already Gone goes up a bit at the end but is overall not too bad. Somebody is also medium-difficulty. Lyin' Eyes is easy-schmeezy.

ETA: Still, they could always lower the key of NKIT a bit (like they did for TITTL) or change the melody line so it doesn't go up so far (like the chorus of "Heart of the Matter" where Don flattens out "I'm learning to live without you now"). There are ways of making it work. I guess, then, that its difficulty doesn't preclude it if they don't mind getting creative. Maybe they just don't want to bother, lol.

ASWTDID hasn't been in the setlist for a while.

I saw it in Louisville just a few months ago.

WalshFan88
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
From a musician's standpoint Already Gone does "modulate" at the end going from GDC to CGF and gets a bit higher but New Kid does have that really high part.....

Koala
04-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Eliminate:
More Cloudy Days
The Long Run
Witchy Woman
Rocky Mountain Way

Replace them with:
Somebody
New Kid In Town
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise

EaglesKiwi
04-20-2011, 05:15 AM
I agree that it's time for a bit of a restructure. I do like having a few of their "solo" songs, but would limit it to a maximum of 2 each.

Add:
What Do I Do With My Heart - I particularly love the interplay between Glenn & Don at the end. That epitomises "Eagles" for me.
Tequila Sunrise or New Kid In Town - I like these equally. Both would be good, but that's probably unlikely.
You Belong To The City or The Heat Is On. There needs to be a Glenn solo. These are both as good as Joe's and Don's solo stuff that gets played.
A Tim solo. If they're going to have solo songs, then everyone should get a solo song.
I Dreamed There Was No War. Short and sweet.

Drop:
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore - As much as I love Tim's voice, I heard this for the first time live in Melbourne, and it doesn't come across as well at first listen as some of the other new stuff. Actually it didn't "fill" the hall. I don't know if it would have played better later in the setlist?
One of Joe's solo songs - I would pick Funk #49 to go, as I think Life's Been Good is fantastic live. And there was a huge crowd response for Rocky Mountain Way, so I'd keep that one.
Guilty of the Crime - I know they don't always play it, but I think it's expendable.
No More Cloudy Days - I really like it, but would rather have NKIT or TS. AND WDIDWMH.

PLEASE DON'T DROP
I would hate to see them drop Witchy Woman. It is amazing performed live, better than the recording.
LROOE - I know it's long, but both Rob and I heard it for the first time live and loved it (and he's not a big Eagles fan). Again, it got a great response, and it's fantastic musically, and lyrically superb.

TimothyBFan
04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I have never really dared to state outright which songs I would drop; especially as the ones I would drop are all Eagles songs. But here goes. I would drop The Long Run, In The City & Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Yeah--because Timothy sings waaaaay to many songs already!! ;-)

I don't mind A solo song a piece but when they are doing 3-4 I think it's waaaay to much---IT'S AN EAGLES CONCERT FOLKS!! JMO!!

That being said, I would have to eliminate some of Joe's & Don's solo works, not real picky on which ones but would leave Boys Of Summer and Life's Been Good and maybe get rid of the others. And would eliminate Long Road Out Of Eden (you could add 2 songs for that one because of the length) and I Don't Want To Hear Anymore (don't worry--replacing with another Timothy song). Taking out Busy Being Fabulous and putting in Somebody. Keeping Best Of My Love & Seven Bridges Road of course.

Adding Already Gone, New Kid In Town, Smuggler's Blues, Do Something & Get Over It.

Willie's Setlist

Seven Brides Road
How Long
Somebody
Do Something
Guilty Of The Crime
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Boys Of Summer
In The City
Long Run

No More Walks In The Woods
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Take It To The Limit
Already Gone
New Kid In Town
Smuggler's Blues (Glenn solo)
One Of These Nights
Best Of My Love
Life's Been Good (Joe solo)
Tequila Sunrise

Encore
All She Wants To Do Is Dance (Don solo)
Get Over It
Take It Easy
Desperado

And if you are wondering why there is no Timothy solo song? Who, other than us here, really know any of Timothy's solo stuff. That is why I would not just drop I Don't Want To Hear Anymore without replacing it with another Timothy song.

WalshFan88
04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
That being said, I would have to eliminate some of Joe's & Don's solo works, not real picky on which ones but would leave Boys Of Summer and Life's Been Good and maybe get rid of the others.

:yay:

It isn't complete for me not hearing those two songs at a concert! Strangely enough (me strange?!?!) I prefer the versions of the songs (especially LBG) with the Eagles than the original solo album track. They are solo songs no doubt but it just ain't complete for me not to hear that one at an Eagles concert. In fact it makes a perfect Eagles song (in the sense that it goes really well with that band - even though it's a solo track). Just something about hearing that with all of the other players is really fun. Then Glenn could do Smuggler's Blues and Timothy with one of his!

04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Try singing along with these songs.

I was just ROFLMAO when I read this piece of advice that Soda gave me. I sing along with these songs all the time, but I rarely hit any of the notes, so using this test wouldn't help me at all! :rofl:

Also, wanted to say when I posted, I'm sorry but I missed the part where Soda said to suggest just one or two songs. Wouldn't have mattered anyway though cause I would have just had to ignore it. :wink:

I also want to comment on the inclusion of solo songs in Eagles shows. I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I don't mind them. As I said before, outside of the hardcore fans, I believe most people at a live show want to hear hits that they are familiar with. They also want to rock out. That's what Joe adds to the live shows. If you take away his solo songs, what would he play? The only other Eagles songs that Joe has are Pretty Maids All in a Row and Last Good Time in Town. Although I love them both, I don't think they play as well live as Joe's classic solo songs. JMHO

ETA: As far as including a solo song for Tim, that's why I'm doubly disappointed that he didn't have a hit song off of Expando. I think if he had, then the Eagles would consider including it in their shows.

TimothyBFan
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Also, wanted to say when I posted, I'm sorry but I missed the part where Soda said to suggest just one or two songs.

Oops!! I guess I did also. ;-)

ETA: As far as including a solo song for Tim, that's why I'm doubly disappointed that he didn't have a hit song off of Expando. I think if he had, then the Eagles would consider including it in their shows.

I go back and forth on this. Part of me says I wish he'd had a hit so they would play one in concert. Then, the other side of the coin is for the powers that be to allow him to play one, let's say Parachute-which I still say would play well with the Eagles, and maybe, just maybe, it would expose others to his solo stuff and create more fans and sales.

Brooke
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
These list type things are so hard for me to do. It takes a lot of thought and time. For me.

This was the Hong Kong set list:

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Boys Of Summer
In The City
The Long Run

No More Walks In The Wood
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Best Of My Love
Take It To The Limit
Long Road Out Of Eden
Walk Away
One Of These Nights
Life's Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

Take It Easy
Desperado

As much as I want to hear Eagles songs at Eagles concerts, I still love hearing Dirty Laundry, Boys of Summer, Walk Away, Life's Been Good, and Funk 49, too. I would really miss all of them if they were left out. I also miss Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone, and New Kid in Town.

So, here they did 27 songs. I would leave out I Don't Want To Hear Anymore. I'm sorry, Tim fans, but all three of Tim's songs sound very much the same, so leave one of them out and put New Kid In Town back there.

No More Walks In The Wood would be replaced by Tequila Sunrise. It's pretty, but it's not Tequila Sunrise, a gorgeous classic.

No More Cloudy Days is a good song, but it's not Already Gone, which is a fantastic rocker.

This gives Glenn his songs back, but doesn't increase the set list. I really love LROOE, but it is long and if they want to cut time, there ya go. I could live with not hearing it before some of these others. And I still thinK Glenn should do at least one of his solo hits. Smugglers Blues or The Heat Is On should be there. WE LOVE YOU GLENN! COME BACK TO US!

And I love Desperado, but I think Take It Easy should be the finale. Just reverse those two. I want to go home feeling good, not sad.

luvthelighthouse
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
And I love Desperado, but I think Take It Easy should be the finale. Just reverse those two. I want to go home feeling good, not sad.

YES! Switch them! Leave on a high note! I couldn't agree more!

MikeA
04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
They used to do "Turn To Stone" back in Farewell I and II. I think. Maybe I'm dreaming it. No, I'm not! Distinctly remember that driving guitar of Joe's in that performance!

I would give up Rock Mt Way for TTS...actually, I'd rather give up LBG but that would gain unseemly discontent for it really is a crowd favorite because of the helmet cam (I guess he's still doing that, right?). But then RMW has the talk-box and that's a crowd favorite too.

Maybe they could replace one of the LROE songs with "Turn To Stone". TTS along with Confessor I think are the two best that Joe's done...well, have to consider a dozen more before making that statement! "County Fair", "Life's Been Good", "Welcome To The Club", "Funk #49", "Rocky Mt Way", "The Bomber", "Ashes To Rain"....Awwwww, forget I started this off with such a strong statement!

Joe just needs to do a full two concert tours. One with his best (and let me pick them Joe!) and one to promote his new to be released Album!

Then maybe the Eagles could devote an entire set to Joe and do a 5 hour concert!

jdubfan
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
No more helmet cam, thankfully. I also am in the "add the solo" songs camp. As they have all said at one time or another, no solo songs, no more 3 hrs shows. And for the price they charge, I'd like to get all the songs and as much time as possilbe with the guys as I can.

(stealing that HK setlist)

Seven Bridges Road - all of it please
How Long
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman - Replace with Those Shoes
Boys Of Summer - replace with Already Gone
The Long Run

No More Walks In The Wood
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Best Of My Love
Take It To The Limit
Long Road Out Of Eden
Walk Away - replace with Turn To Stone
One Of These Nights- King of Hollywood
Life's Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

Take It Easy
Desperado

The second set is kinda hard to mess with, I can't really imagine taking any of the out. LROOE is really a highlight to me live, so powerful, very moving.

Freypower
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry to see that so many would like to see NMCD dropped because that song is right up there for me. I could not do without it even if all the old songs were brought back. As for LROOE..... this song is an absolute masterpiece & makes me shake my head in awe. I loved it from the start. I am amazed to see that some people think it's 'too long' or that 'casual fans' don't like it. It is essential to their work. Overall I am against the new songs being dropped to make way for older songs; to me they dropped the wrong older songs.

EK mentioned What Do I Do With My Heart. All some of us can do is keep dreaming, I guess.

Willie, I am sorry about LWKUA but Tim should do Do Something or an Expando song instead. I am afraid that LWKUA is a song that I cannot like and to see it there year after year while songs like NKIT are ignored completely baffles me.

If they are going to do Seven Bridges Road they have to do ALL of it. This could then perhaps justify losing NMWITW & including Tequila Sunrise.

If Turn To Stone could be brought back I would drop Walk Away.

WalshFan88
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM
I definitely would love to see "Already Gone" back in the mix. When I saw them in '08 in Chicago (Sept. 25th) after the show I said "Wow I didn't get to hear Already Gone". Now don't take this the wrong way - as I FULLY enjoyed the show (and I'm not lying either) but that is in my top 5 favorite Eagles tunes. I'd like to see New Kid In Town included too but AG takes the cake for me as far as if I could pick one song to add back... I'm also thrilled they put Best Of My Love in as that is one of my faves.

Glenn could easily sing Already Gone IMO. With NKIT it's really hard to say... But Already Gone could be done. On Farewell 1 (DVD), they skipped over the modulation from GDC to CGF and skipped the high part and just let Stu and Walsh play. They didn't do the original album solos or the modulation to the high part. Glenn didn't do his solo that I love and Stu didn't play Felder's original solo. Walsh and Stu just improvised some leads for it. The rest of the licks and fills were spot on though. I miss the old way of Already Gone like on the Christchurch DVD where Glenn/Felder do harmony leads. Glenn needs to play more lead guitar IMO. I've heard him play lead and he can definitely do it. But then again if Joe Walsh (the king of lead guitar IMO) was right next to me I might feel a little intimidated! :lol: If AG is brought back I wanna see Glenn and Stu play those original solos (and they are played BEFORE the song gets higher so even if he can't get the high part, he could still play the original solo that I love so much). For me Already Gone is the country rock "Hotel California" in a strange way I know - but that's how it feels to me. I love AG.

Brooke
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
If Turn To Stone could be brought back I would drop Walk Away.

I would go for this, too. TTS is great!

MikeA
04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
In reference to Turn To Stone: Walsh wrote this song after witnessing the Kent State Riot of May 4, 1970. That experience really touched him. He has spoken of it a few times. He also made reference to the riot in his song "Decades".

04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I absolutely love Turn To Stone too, and it was awesome seeing it live in Atlantic City. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to put in an Eagle show in lieu of Walk Away, RMW, LBG, or F49 because it's not as well known outside of Joe's hardcore fanbase and it doesn't rock quite as hard as the others.

MikeA
04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
That opening riff in Turn To Stone is probably recognized less only than maybe the opening riff of Funk #49. There's something about the way that over-driven power-chord run from "D" to "C" to "Bb" just gets stuck in your head....or it does mine anyway! Really gets your attention.

And I certainly remember the way the crowd at the concerts in the early 2000's came alive when Joe would open up with that song! I surprised at the number of people who were belting out the lyrics to it too.

I know I was disappointed when they took it out of the set list. I think Joe just had too many "Eagles renditions" of his Solo works in the sets and had to even it out a bit.

POWERFUL SONG.

Freypower
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
I absolutely love Turn To Stone too, and it was awesome seeing it live in Atlantic City. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to put in an Eagle show in lieu of Walk Away, RMW, LBG, or F49 because it's not as well known outside of Joe's hardcore fanbase and it doesn't rock quite as hard as the others.

Dreamer, the idea that they shouldn't include songs because they are 'not as well known' or that 'casual fans' don't like is something I can't get my head around. They want to give the majority a good time but surely there is something to be said for also catering to the real hardcore fans as represented on this board. At the moment I really believe they are catering far too much to the majority. Every time I read in Rolling Stone about acts starting their tour every one of them says 'yeah, we'll play deep cuts or whatever the crowd wants' & they don't have the rigid setlist the Eagles have. I envy that. Of course I don't know how much these acts are just bluffing in order to impress Rolling Stone because I sometimes think it's suspicious how so many of them make these claims.

I know the Eagles have to play the hits; I want to hear the hits too (and I would have thought 'hits' included New Kid In Town, which went to Number One & won a Grammy). But they could be more flexible.

And this is only my opinion but I think TTS rocks as hard, if not harder, than those songs you mention.

04-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Sorry FP, but I feel just the opposite. I can't wrap my head around the idea that a band wouldn't cater to their concert audience and play the songs that are the most enthusiastically received. I don't believe I said that a band should never play songs that are not well-known. They absolutely should play new material when they have it.

However, Soda said at the beginning of this thread that this wasn't supposed to be our own personal wish list, so that's how I'm responding in this thread. There are lots of songs in the setlist that I posted that I would drop if it were my wish list. The Eagles have always been inclined to play their hits in concert, and it seems to work well for them so that is the rationale behind my choices. They are one of the top selling acts on the planet, so they must be doing something right.

As far as Turn To Stone - as I said, I absolutely love it, and would love to hear it. But again, I was not making my personal wish list. I'm not saying it wouldn't play well live, but I'm saying I don't believe the average audience would be as familiar with the song as they are with RMW, LBG, and F49.

Freypower
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
OK - what is the definition of 'realistic' (to use Soda's exact word) when offering suggestions for which songs to drop & which songs to include? Unfortunately I would say that for most of us our personal preference is going to inform which songs we choose. It does in my case because I believe the three songs I would include should never have been dropped. You can say 'well, Glenn is your favourite so you would pick those songs'. And the answer is yes, I would pick those (NKIT, TS, AG) because at the moment he does not have enough lead vocals. So it's hard for me to justify the inclusion of any more Don Henley lead vocals; but if I were to do that it would be one or two of his LROOE leads. There is hardly any major Henley lead vocal that he doesn't sing in their shows. The only lead of his that they played & then dropped was Hole In The World. They have added BOML & Witchy Woman. The others which were dropped were solo songs (Sunset Grill & ASWTDID as Soda pointed out the latter is still played occasionally). And if I understand you correctly, asking for more LROOE songs would perhaps not be 'realistic' given that your list of deletions includes 3 LROOE songs.

As for 'they must be doing something right' - yes, I guess so. I am not asking for all the hits to be dropped. I'm asking for some occasional flexibility.

EaglesKiwi
04-22-2011, 05:52 AM
As for 'they must be doing something right' - yes, I guess so. I am not asking for all the hits to be dropped. I'm asking for some occasional flexibility.

I'd like to see some flexibility too especially when they play several nights in one location. They must be aware that there are some hardcore fans who will pay to see them more than once - and who would appreciate hearing a greater range of songs over 2 nights.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't believe the average audience would be as familiar with the song as they are with RMW, LBG, and F49.

I think you are absolutely right about that Dreamer...especially since those three have been played in their list for YEARS and YEARS <LOL>

But they are crowd favorites as is anything Joe does during the concerts. You can't go wrong with Joe in the spotlight and the crowd response bears that out.

I think Joe could play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and the crowd would roar. But wait, Stevie Ray Vaughan has already done that song!

jdubfan
04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
IMO the reality is we know Glenn is making the calls about the setlist. I saw the Columbus show, last show of the tour in '09, and Glenn's voice was shot. I'm not being mean, I know what I heard and his voice was done in, sometimes it was cringe-worthy. Thankfully, not permanent, as he is sounding fantastic now. By dropping so many of his lead songs, I'm guessing he's doing what he has to vocally endure.
I always liked the quote John Mellencamp had "The young JM didn't give a f$^k about old JM's range". And Joe says this is uncharted territory for "old rockers". They're learning what it takes to rock on into their 60s.
With a catalog like these guys have, they can play plenty of hits and still bring out a few hidden gems for die-hards. Can't please everyone, getting the balance is tough when they get a cold shoulder response to new material. If all you get are the oldies, what incentive is that for bands to tour? The same old greatest hits tours has to get so boring for them. I find it very exciting to see a new song perforned by an old favorite, I wish others felt the same. I try to just be greatful that they're still out there doing it, and not grouse about what I didn't hear...someday sooner than I care for, they won't be doing it at all.

Brooke
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I think it would be great if they would surprise the crowd once in a while and play some obscure song that all of us hardcores would love to hear live. I think they should do this at every show. I know it would probably require practice, but as talented musicians as they are, I know they could pull it off. Can you imagine?! How cool would it be to go to a concert and wonder what cool old song they might do? Good Day In Hell anyone? Or Doolin-Dalton? Instead of good ol' Desperado, how about the Reprise? Lots of bands even take requests (Jackson Browne is right now!) I realize their shows are too big to take requests, so I suggest them already having a deep track ready! :shrug:

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow, this thread has really taken off! And my advice about a couple songs was just an effort to make this thread different than the "Dream Setlist" thread but what I really care about is good discussion - and that's what we're getting! ;) (BTW, to answer FP's question, I thought of "realistic" as songs that aren't obscure and that took into consideration practical performance factors such as length and flow of the set; that's subjective, but that was my idea). As I said before, though, that's not important as long as the thread is good. :)

Turn to Stone is one of my personal favorites and I agree it's very powerful. That's one of those songs that's so intense it feels more like an experience than a song. I haven't heard it played live in person, but it sounds well-received on the bootlegs I have. Since they've played it before, I don't consider it unrealistic.

If they dropped LROOE, they would have room for two songs, so maybe they could stick TTS back there and then another shorter song like The Heat Is On, which would give us the sorely-missed Glenn solo song. I think YBTTC is too hard for him to sing consistently unless it's fiddled with to make it easier. Since I think they should lose RMW, it would balance out the Joe solo songs in my scenario.

No More Walks in the Wood is designed to showcase their harmonies. While I do appreciate the parallelism of having acapella harmony showcases begin both sets, I agree that the song - which I've always said doesn't have a very interesting melody - is expendable. They used to have Tequila Sunrise there and I'd prefer its return.

I agree that Do Something is a stronger song than I Don't Want to Hear Any More, and it's a nice duet as well which always pleases the audience. Plus, it would give him a new song to sing. Since it's never been done, though, this probably doesn't fit into the "realistic" category - although they could always surprise us! ;)

I really like Love Will Keep Us Alive, however, and I'm not the only one. Other than I Can't Tell You Why, it's the only Tim song people will recognize. I think it should stay.

Like FP, however, I resist the loss of NMCD.

Glenn needs to play more lead guitar IMO. I've heard him play lead and he can definitely do it.

Glenn is a very emotive, effective guitarist. I remember seeing him play all those songs in Niagara Falls in 2007 and just being staggered. However, he then said it made his hands hurt. Perhaps he avoids playing more for that reason.

I also heard I Dreamed There Was No War in Niagara Falls, and lemme tell ya, there is ZERO reason it shouldn't be played in the Eagles set, even if it's just as an instrumental interlude before the second set. It freaking won a Grammy, people!

Wow, look at all these different opinions! This determining the setlist thing isn't so easy, now, is it? ;)

By dropping so many of his lead songs, I'm guessing he's doing what he has to vocally endure.

Well, if that's the case, I guess we just have to suck it up and deal with less Glenn leads. :( I still think some songs might be re-arranged to be less of a strain on his voice, though.

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
About hits vs. obscure songs:

It's a balance.

I love hearing them do different stuff, but at the same time, when they drop old hits for LROOE songs, I found myself missing some of them. Case in point: NMWITW is a new song and was cool to hear, but I'd rather they do Tequila Sunrise.

There are songs that casual fans expect to hear and if they don't hear them, they'd feel cheated. You have to do Hotel California; you have to do Take It Easy.

However, the Eagles have so many hits that they can stick in a few lesser-known songs and the audience will still leave happy. They already do that with the LROOE songs. When they started the LROOE tour they were doing ELEVEN new songs, which is almost unheard of for classic rock bands - but extremists will always be unsatisfied and complain it's not enough. Not every hardcore fan is an extremist, though. In the Hong Kong set they did six - not too shabby. Even if they were to drop a couple more, I think they'd still be doing good. After all, they only play one song from On the Border, and that was just added relatively recently!

I figure I'm pretty middle-of-the-road. The "happy medium" would be a show of mostly hits and a peppering of new or lesser-known material to make it interesting for hardcores as well as give the band something new to do.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
That's reasonable Soda. Are they doing "Already Gone" these days? I remember a soaring guitar solo in that one as well as good vocals.

The thing though is that because of their commitment to perfection in their performances, it would be hard for them to satisfy themselves if the did what I'd like them to do.

And that is, reserve maybe 3 or 4 spots in the setlist and make those spots variable. Interject songs in there from one concert to the next rather than from tour to tour. They do have the Classics that they are expected to perform, but they've had so many others that are just as Classic that could fill those spots and it would mix up the concerts enough to make repeat Goers content.

I know that for something like 5 years and countless concerts, we saw very little deviation in the menu of songs. TTS was dropped. Seven Bridges was dropped. I'm sure there were others but I can't recall either the others dropped or what was stuck in the list in their place.

I would also urge Glenn to come up with some new material in introducing the songs...especially the Credit Card Song <LOL>. That line has become as well known as some of their Platinum Albums! It needs to be stuck on one of their Greatest Hits and forgotten about <LOL>

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Are they doing "Already Gone" these days?

Sadly, no. That is one of the songs I think should be brought back.

And that is, reserve maybe 3 or 4 spots in the setlist and make those spots variable. Interject songs in there from one concert to the next rather than from tour to tour.This might not be feasible within the main concert, but I can see a "surprise song" in the setting of the encore. They did this when they threw in "Please Come Home for Christmas" before their holiday break in Australia. Having a surprise song like that on a regular basis would be fun. It could just be a rotation of three or four to minimize the strain of having to remember lots of songs.

I would also urge Glenn to come up with some new material in introducing the songs...especially the Credit Card Song <LOL>. That line has become as well known as some of their Platinum Albums! It needs to be stuck on one of their Greatest Hits and forgotten about <LOL>He actually has backed off the Credit Card joke somewhat - I heard him introduce TITTL with a story about waltzes more recently. It's the "Plaintiff" joke that keeps coming back out like a big fat cockroach you can't kill.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Glenn was using both of those lines back in 2001!

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
What always makes me shake my head is that Glenn is a funny guy! In the few times I've gotten to talk to him, he has consistently cracked me up. ;) He's got great comedic timing. For some reason he clings to the Plaintiff joke as if it's simply impossible for him to come up with something else as funny. I'll be brutally honest - telling the same joke for ten years is lame. I can't pretend differently, mo matter how much I like Glenn. It's so lame that I'm actually embarrassed for him every time I hear him tell it. Oh well, it just shows that even ultra-cool people like Glenn Frey have their uncool moments. ;)

MikeA
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't really think Glenn thinks that it's all that funny any more. I think He Thinks that the audience just expects to hear it just as much as they expect to hear Hotel California. But instead of applause, he is rewarded with a massive GROAN from the crowd. And that is about as rewarding to him as a new comedic line.

Sort of become his "Signature" just as "How Ya Doin'" has become Joe's.

Glennhoney
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I really think it's awful that they don't do "Tequila Sunrise" and "Already Gone" anymore..I understand that "New Kid In Town" is difficult to sing nowadays..I think it always was..but bring back those 2 songs....they are TRUE Eagles songs....much more so than any of their solo hits..I got to hear "Already Gone" live in 2008 and WOW :drool:...it was amazing....

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 05:27 PM
the audience just expects to hear it just as much as they expect to hear Hotel California.

Um. No.

Sort of become his "Signature" just as "How Ya Doin'" has become Joe's.That would be beyond sad!

But enough of me hating on the Plaintiff joke. It's just a small thing, ya know, no biggie. Glenn is still one of the coolest guys on the planet, and the Eagles still rock the house, no matter how many lame jokes get told. I just hope I get to see them live again one day!

Freypower
04-22-2011, 06:48 PM
A lot of reviews these days only talk about Glenn's MC role & not his singing or musicianship. That's what is sad in my opinion. His singing was the strongest of all four of them in Sydney, while Don struggled (it was the same in 2004). So I am not sure I can accept 'he only sings what he can'.

I did have a 'moment' with him after the 'Mother' joke at the last show when he looked at me and said 'that always gets a laugh' I make a point of laughing even if nobody else does.

The excuse they have given for not changing the setlist is that their light show is programmed to the last minute so they would be unable to do it. I don't really buy that.

04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Glenn is a very emotive, effective guitarist. I remember seeing him play all those songs in Niagara Falls in 2007 and just being staggered. However, he then said it made his hands hurt. Perhaps he avoids playing more for that reason.

I agree with this. The Niagara Falls shows were the only shows that I've been to (Eagles or solo) where Glenn displayed his musicianship so much. However, as you said, I think he paid the price. I believe that at the end of that first show, he said his fingers were yelling (or screaming) at him. He even had to call in a doctor before the second show. So I guess his rheumatoid arthritis put limits on him. It's too bad because it was a treat to watch and I am sooooooo glad that I was at those shows.

I also heard I Dreamed There Was No War in Niagara Falls, and lemme tell ya, there is ZERO reason it shouldn't be played in the Eagles set, even if it's just as an instrumental interlude before the second set. It freaking won a Grammy, people!

Well, as far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the choir here. Even if Glenn turned the guitar duties over to Steuart for reasons mentioned above, it should still be in the setlist.

Wow, look at all these different opinions! This determining the setlist thing isn't so easy, now, is it? ;)

Yep, I totally agree with you here, too. It's easy for us to sit back and do all this 'armchair quarterbacking". It's much harder to do in real life. However, I accept that these guys seem to be creatures of habit, and pretty much like to stick with a winning formula. At the same time, I love the idea that they could have a short list of 5 or so songs that they could rotate in the setlist to add a little bit of a surprise element and flexibility to the shows.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
If ever there was a song that Glenn could handle in a concert on guitar in his handicapped state, it would be "I Dreamed There Was No War." I'm not saying anything like what that sounded like, but I don't know how else to say it.

The song is one that shocked me when it won that Grammy! It isn't complex. It isn't long. But it contains about as much expression as you can squeeze out of a guitar. No Frills. And did I say "It's Not Long." I learned the song, but I can't get the emotion of it out of my acoustic and only do a little better on a clean electric.

Glenn really should sneak that one into the list.

And Glenn really can play guitar. I said it somewhere else....had he had to do it, he could have played a respectable lead guitar in a band. I just think Glenn was more interested in other instruments (such as piano) and even more interested in vocals and composing and arranging. Very multi-talented musician and underrated as a guitarist.

But because my interests have always been in guitar mastery, I've focused on the Leadons, the Feders and the Walshes in all rock groups and country groups for that matter. Brad Paisley is an excellent example. Willy Nelson is another...That Long-Haired Ole Hippy Freak does something with that acoustic of his that I've never heard anyone else even try. Some sort of "stutter" using thirds (3 strokes on two beats). He sort of sings the same way too...offbeat but it works for him.

EaglesKiwi
04-23-2011, 05:21 AM
A lot of reviews these days only talk about Glenn's MC role & not his singing or musicianship. That's what is sad in my opinion. His singing was the strongest of all four of them in Sydney, while Don struggled (it was the same in 2004). So I am not sure I can accept 'he only sings what he can'.

The excuse they have given for not changing the setlist is that their light show is programmed to the last minute so they would be unable to do it. I don't really buy that.

In Melbourne (just a few days later) Glenn's voice was great; Don seemed to struggle with Hotel California and yet was crystal clear a couple of songs later - and for the rest of the show. That makes me wonder if their voices are less "reliable" now. Or if they just think they are.:huh:

And re the lighting - well they added Please Come Home for Christmas (yay! and thank you!!!) ... and that didn't seem to cause any problems with the lighting!! I don't really remember whether the lighting was the same for Desperado, but that's another Don lead so it possibly was.

Prettymaid
04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I've loved reading this thread, especially the last couple of pages. I agree that it would be great for about 4 spots to be flexible, but not knowing exactly how the programmed screen show works, I have to assume that it would mess things up.

I went to the Eagles discography and wrote down all the songs I think would be "reasonable" to hear at a concert. Out of the 27 I wrote down they are currently doing 18 of them, going by Brooke's Hong Kong set list on page 2. Remember, this does not include solos.
Here are the ones from my list that they are not doing:

Tequila Sunrise
Already Gone
James Dean
Ol' 55
One Of These Nights
New Kid In Town
Those Shoes
Somebody
Last Good Time In Town

I know, I know...I'm in the minority here for wanting to replace Guilty Of The Crime with LGTIT. I think Soda may have even said once that the whispers are kind of creepy, but I disagree. It's obvious that I love the song, but I also think it would play well live and that the whispers would be another chance for the band to be playful onstage. Guilty Of The Crime just doesn't do it for me.

I also don't enjoy I Don't Want To Hear Anymore, but definitely want to hear I Can't Tell You Why and Love Will Keep Us Alive. I know I'm supposed to keep it realistic here but somebody please tell me what wouldn't be awesome about hearing the Eagles back Timothy up on Parachute.

I have never enjoyed No More Walks In The Wood and agree with Soda - the melody doesn't do anything for me either. It's too non-specific and meanders about so much that you never truly get a sense of a melody at all. I say open the second set with Seven Bridges Road. I think it would fit better there than as a show opener, although I enjoyed it there as well.

Long Road Out Of Eden, as haunting as it is live, should go. In fact, the only songs that should be played from the 'new' album should be

How Long
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Somebody
Last Good Time In Town

As far as Joe's solos, I personally love Walk Away and In The City. I would not care if they dropped Life's Been Good, but I realize that it's probably Joe's best known song and the crowd loves it. Funk 49 - I can take it or leave it, and although I'm sure the Eagles love to rock out on it during the encore, I believe that the encores should not contain any solo songs*. We could all rock out on Hearache Tonight or LITFL as an encore, couldn't we?

Speaking of HT, man, if Glenn can hit those notes (which he does) he can sing anything! I agree again with Soda that perhaps he could change some notes to allow him to still do NKIT or AG. And personally, I'd like to see them drop Lyin' Eyes for awhile and have Glenn do something else.

As for Don, I'm not picking on him - really I'm not. It's just that sometimes it starts to feel like THE DON HENLEY SHOW...featuring....the EAGLES!!! First of all, they should not end the whole show with Desperado. Stick it somewhere in the regular set but not as an encore. Take It Easy is by far the song that should end an Eagles show. Just sayin'...

Out of the 27 songs on the Hong Kong set list here's how it breaks down as far as lead vocals.

Don - 11
Glenn - 6
Joe - 4
Tim - 3
Shared - 3

Surely they could do some more songs where Glenn sings lead and back off a little on Don's and it would still be a show filled with hits!

As far as shaking things up at an Eagles concert, I think the guys are not objective enough to see that the changes they do make are way too subtle. Ladies, have you ever done something different with your hair thinking that it's a drastic difference only to find that nobody notices? That's a little like what it's like when the Eagles 'change it up'.

So come on guys. Let's hear some James Dean or Those Shoes or something else that you could dig up and dust off.

*Although Funk 49 isn't an encore on the Hong Kong set list, I believe it has been at times.

TimothyBFan
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with the Guilty of The Crime being replaced with Last Good Time In Town. I really do like it better also. And how could I forget Those Shoes somewhere in there.

In fact, I pretty much love EVERYONE'S ideas!!!!! I'm greedy and I want it ALL!!!

Brooke
04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
I hadn't noticed that they have quit doing One of These Nights. Surely that is an error?! Anyone know for sure?

OOTN must be there! :shock:

Prettymaid
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I hadn't noticed that they have quit doing One of These Nights. Surely that is an error?! Anyone know for sure?

OOTN must be there! :shock:

According to your set list on page 2 they were still doing it. That's the set list I went by while posting.

ETA: Oops Brooke, I see what you mean. I accidentally put it on the 'currently not playing' list. :blush:

04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
To my knowledge One of These Nights has not been dropped from the setlist. Probably never will be since Glenn has proclaimed it as one of his very favorite Eagles songs.

I'm one of those that also like LGTIT better than GOTC. I also like Do Something better than IDWTHA. However, I do think that GOTC and IDWTHA probably play better live so I understand why they were selected.

And ITA with you about Glenn singing NKIT, PM. He still sings YBTTC when he plays solo shows and that's a pretty difficult song for him to sing as well. The thing is these guys are perfectionist so they don't want to sing anything unless they can do it perfectly. Unfortunately, they have become known for their perfection and high quality shows and have kinda boxed themselve in a corner. I don't think their audiences expect perfection, but I do wonder how forgiving they would be. I don't know how much slack audiences and critics would cut them since they've set the bar so high for themselves.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Man, reading some of these messages is like listening to Joe's "Alphabetical Order",

NKIT (only because we discussed and cussed it so much lately), LGTIT, YBTTC (I actually know that one!) GOTC....

I need a sticky to see what songs y'all are talkin' about! :headscratch:

Prettymaid
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
In my defense I try not to shorten it unless it has been used fully in the conversation or post. :hand: ;)

ETA: I think there might be a list somewhere...

Prettymaid
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Here it is!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398

Freypower
04-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree with most of what PM wrote except her suggestion that the song LROOE should be dropped. It is a masterpiece; it's their second Hotel California. I feel sad that it hasn't resonated with people the way HC did.

They could start with just bringing back Somebody. I was over the moon when I saw it played three times out of four but then it vanished. Why?

And I am totally for LGTIT over GOTC as I am for Do Something over either IDWTHAM or LWKUA (I think I am the only person who wants LWKUA dropped).

I probably don't need to repeat the closing song argument but it should be Take It Easy. Desperado is wrong. The song should feature the whole band, not just the 'principal singer' as Glenn referred to Don in Taiwan. For one thing I disagree with that term; and for another the band has never had 'one' main singer. Glenn seems to have forgotten that in his generosity.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Cathy. This isn't the first time I've mentioned this. But this time, I'm going to bookmark that message.

But I see what was throwing me. Most of those references were to songs on LROOE and I'm not that familiar with them. I was starring at them like a Deer in Headlights! LOL

Brooke
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I probably don't need to repeat the closing song argument but it should be Take It Easy. Desperado is wrong. The song should feature the whole band, not just the 'principal singer' as Glenn referred to Don in Taiwan. For one thing I disagree with that term; and for another the band has never had 'one' main singer. Glenn seems to have forgotten that in his generosity.

That's perfect, Fp. I wish they would listen! Plus TIE is uplifting and a fun song to go home on.

sodascouts
04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
And ITA with you about Glenn singing NKIT, PM. He still sings YBTTC when he plays solo shows and that's a pretty difficult song for him to sing as well.
Yeah, that's definitely hard to sing, which is why it was dropped from Eagles shows. I think Glenn realizes if he doesn't play it during his solo shows people would feel cheated. It would be like the Eagles not playing Hotel California. I suspect otherwise it'd be gone.

I love most of the suggestions, but I'm one of those who doesn't think Last Good Time in Town would work live. This is a song about how there's nothing more thrilling than staying home and sitting around doing crossword puzzles. Not exactly rock concert fodder.

If they want to close with Desperado, how about re-arranging / re-lighting it so it's not Don Henley singing alone in the spotlight while the rest of the guys hover in the shadows for the vast majority of the song? I get that it's dramatic but it's not the way to do an EAGLES encore.

Freypower
04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah, that's definitely hard to sing, which is why it was dropped from Eagles shows. I think Glenn realizes if he doesn't play it during his solo shows people would feel cheated. It would be like the Eagles not playing Hotel California. I suspect otherwise it'd be gone.

I love most of the suggestions, but I'm one of those who doesn't think Last Good Time in Town would work live. This is a song about how there's nothing more thrilling than staying home and sitting around doing crossword puzzles. Not exactly rock concert fodder.

If they want to close with Desperado, how about re-arranging / re-lighting it so it's not Don Henley singing alone in the spotlight while the rest of the guys hover in the shadows for the vast majority of the song? I get that it's dramatic but it's not the way to do an EAGLES encore.

The only way to rearrange Desperado would be for it to be done the way I first saw it; with Don on drums & Glenn on piano.

EaglesKiwi
04-29-2011, 04:52 AM
The only way to rearrange Desperado would be for it to be done the way I first saw it; with Don on drums & Glenn on piano.
Oooooh... now THAT I would absolutely love to see & hear.

I agree they should close with Take It Easy (but keep Desperado somewhere else please!). Nice to end with the song that started it all.
:love:

Glennhoney
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Oooooh... now THAT I would absolutely love to see & hear.

I agree they should close with Take It Easy (but keep Desperado somewhere else please!). Nice to end with the song that started it all.
:love:
...........SOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE...

WalshFan88
04-30-2011, 02:45 AM
I also agree about flip-flopping TIE and Desperado. TIE should be the last song.