PDA

View Full Version : Hi from MN

Judy
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a few months. I have enjoyed reading your discussions and looking at the wonderful pics everyone posts. I tend to focus on Don. I like that you all celebrate all of them no matter which is your favorite.

I have been an Eagles fan since I came home from school one day and heard Best of My Love in 1974 when I was 17. The angst in Don's voice was so touching and beautiful, and I never dreamed his voice would get even better. I didn't have a license yet, and I begged my mother to take me to the store. I bought all 3 albums. My posters were all good because I never hung them. When the new technology came in, I got rid of all my albums. The brain scan comes back next Tuesday. :shrug: I scanned the album jackets, and I was so proud of myself(!?) for finding this group of talented guys that were writing their own songs. I played their albums endlessly and I listened for and knew who every voice was before ever seeing them live. When I moved out of my mom's place into my own apartment I played the entire Desperado album every day along with some other songs (by other artists, too-big FM fan!) every day after I came home from work. I have liked all incarnations of the Eagles.

My first ever concert in my life was an Eagles concert in 1976. They were late. Their equipment truck had been in an accident. I don't really remember the individual songs anymore, but I remember some things about the concert. Sadly, one of those things is that it was not the best performance of Best of My Love Don ever did in his life (but he sure has been doing some lately). I was sitting next to a guy with a wine flask and bad breath. A kid that looked like he was about 13 was selling joints to kids and young adults. Our side of the audience (that would be the Randy side) was clapping so loud for them, they turned and played one song to our side of the audience (and I don't remember what it was :brickwall:). Except for my first concert and my HFO tour concert I've always had fairly good seats. My sister and I had awesome seats in Duluth and Timothy was lots of fun that night. A story for some other time. I've been to other concerts, too. Ok. Enough of that for now.

I like other singers, too. Don Henley is my favorite singer, and I guess I'd have to say Daryl Hall is my second favorite. I like lots of others. I hate country music, but like certain country singers. I generally don't like women singers. The ones I do have low voices like Cher & Stevie Nicks.

Personal stuff, then I'm posting this. Married almost 29 years to the same man. Came home from work one day and found him lying there. I lost him 2 years ago last month. We never had children. Got laid off after 34 years at Target Dec. 2009. I'm currently going to college full time. I should be done this December.

Sorry it's so long, and now the relatives are at the door, so that's all for now.

tequila girl
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi Judy & Welcome to The Border - Looks like you might have a lot of stories to tell us! :-)

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Judy - welcome to The Border. Thanks for sharing so much about your fandom and yourself. (I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's passing). You sound like a really interesting person. I hope you like it here!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome from me too, Judy. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself. If you like talking about the Eagles, you've definitely come to a good place. :wink: Sounds like you are doing a good job of getting your life back on track after some pretty horrible times. Best of luck to you and hope you come back here often.

WalshFan88
04-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Welcome! :cheers:

AzEaglesFan
04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the Border. Glad you decided to join us.:yay:

Koala
04-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Welcome on The Border from me too, Judy.:-)

EaglesKiwi
04-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the Border, Judy. We look forward to hearing more from you.

MikeA
04-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Judy:

First my condolences on your loss. It may have been a couple of years ago, but I'm sure it is still fresh on your mind. I think you've come to a good place...personally as well as in coming to the Border. Some good folks here.

I'd like to hear all you can remember about that 1976 concert. I also made my first Eagles concert in 1976...but it was at the end of the year and one of the first "Hotel California" concerts...in Wichita, KS, Joe's home town and his first tour with the Eagles.

Like your experience, the one in Wichita was similar except no one I know of was selling dope...the air was so thick with it that no one needed to buy it. They were passing a bong around on the two isles I was in and it seemed to be never empty.

The house just came freakin' DOWN when home town hero, Joe Walsh took the stage! I wish I could remember more about the concert.

At any rate Judy, Welcome to the Border....we're all pretty Borderline Nuts.

Judy
04-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes everyone, and for your thoughts about my husband, who was also an Eagles fan. For the record, I want you to know I am also on the Fastlane board. I've been around for there for quite awhile.

Mike, I really don't remember much more about the concert. I think I was like a deer in headlights because it was my first. It was winter for me as well-Dec. 9 rings a bell for some reason. I remember when they played HC I was like--yeah, that's an ok song. An OK song!?!??!!?! I just love it when they do it now, and I can't help but air drum along with it during the instrumental part. (I play no musical instruments.)

Mike, did this happen at your concert? I swear I remember this....yet it doesn't seem like something they'd do. It seems as vivid to me as anything else I remember about that concert. I swear they had HC albums at the concert and they told us that if we bought the album there they would sign it, and I didn't have any extra money. I was a little bummed, but not smart enough then to know what I was missing, and we just left. I would give one of my body parts for that experience now. I didn't get to see much of Joe. I was on the opposite side of the stage and in the middle part of the first tier. I was mostly into them for how they sang their songs. It's been since the resumption that I've really come to enjoy the guitar playing.

I got to see Joe play up real close in Greensville, SC in Jan. 2009. We were in the 2nd row and when they did the acoustic set, Don was in front of the woman next to me, Glenn was in front of me, and Joe was in front of my sister. It was a very small stage, so even when they were standing they were close. The guitar playing was very impressive and LROE was so awesome that night. It amazes me that they can do it live at all. I never thought I would see it in concert when I first heard it.

whitcap
04-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the Border :)

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Mike, did this happen at your concert? I swear I remember this....yet it doesn't seem like something they'd do. It seems as vivid to me as anything else I remember about that concert. I swear they had HC albums at the concert and they told us that if we bought the album there they would sign it, and I didn't have any extra money. I was a little bummed, but not smart enough then to know what I was missing, and we just left. I would give one of my body parts for that experience now.

How cool would that have been??? Dang!

I envy you guys who got to see the Eagles in the 70s.

MikeA
04-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Judy,

I can't remember them offering to sign albums at the show. For Cryin' Out Loud, I don't even remember the concessions!

We were at a small round college basketball stadium and the back part (behind the stage) was closed off. They didn't have the fancy lighting or multimedia presentations back then. They just came out on stage. Meisner on the left, then Glenn, then Don when he wasn't back with his kit, Don Felder and on a stool over on the far right was this longhaired dude, unpretentuously hunched over a guitar and playing the hell out of it.

Glenn introduced the band and when he got to Joe, he said something like "This is a special concert for us because this is the first tour that this Wichita Native has been with us. Ladies and Gentlemen: Mr Joe Walsh!" Henry Levitt Arena just about imploded at that time and Joe "woke up".

They played a lot of their better known songs from the Earlier Albums and took a break. When they came back, they played songs from "Hotel California" and I don't recall any on the album they didn't play. It was undoubtedly the best concert (Eagles or otherwise) that I've ever attended. I just wish I had a boot of that performance because after almost 40 years (35 anyway) my memory fades. But I seriously doubt anyone got a boot of it...even if they had had the technology, They would have most likely burned it to destroy incriminating evidence!

I had no extra money either back then and I already had the album and had burned it to cassette so I wouldn't wear the grooves out on the vinyl. Anyway, I didn't have money for tee-shirts or anything else...I just paid for the tickets and found my seat and proceeded to get blown away.

Judy
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't remember concession stands, either. I wasn't smart enough to think of it back then. They announced the album signing thing when they were playing. Now that you mention the other HC songs, I really liked Wasted Time. I don't remember if they played Last Resort. I like the HFO version better than the original, though. Honestly, I can't be sure if it was Joe or Bernie there. Do you remember what date your concert was?

Judy
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I envy you guys who got to see the Eagles in the 70s.

I feel blessed to have grown up with the Eagles. If I'm ever uptight or need calming down or beng stuck in traffic is driving me crazy, I just throw on some Eagles or Don and everything is all right.

MikeA
04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't remember concession stands, either. I wasn't smart enough to think of it back then. They announced the album signing thing when they were playing. Now that you mention the other HC songs, I really liked Wasted Time. I don't remember if they played Last Resort. I like the HFO version better than the original, though. Honestly, I can't be sure if it was Joe or Bernie there. Do you remember what date your concert was?

I'm pretty sure it was either October, November or December of 1976. For some reason, I'm thinking it was October. I was going through a really tough time back then and had just moved to Wichita. I think my ex-wife was with me and I know I was wishing that I wasn't there with her. That would have made it in October but that sounds too early in the year. I think I looked it up once and Wichita was only the 3rd or 4th stop on the Hotel California tour. I know they'd been in St Louis and Maybe Kansas City before Wichita.

That doesn't JIVE with what I see in Wikipedia though:

The album wasn't released until December of '76 but they were playing cuts off of it before that! That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

"The Eagles embarked on a world tour in March 1977 that began with a month in the U.S., followed by a month in Europe and the Far East, then returned to the U.S. in May for stadium dates. At the end of the tour in September, Randy Meisner left the band; he was replaced by Timothy B. Schmit (born in Sacramento, CA, November 20, 1947), formerly of Poco, in which he also had replaced Meisner. "

I know that isn't the complete story because if I'd seen them in '77, it would have been with my wife of 34 years and we got married in 1977! They must have done a series of concerts before going on that World Tour. Maybe someone else here can straighten out that schedule.

Bernie wasn't there <sob>. I never saw Bernie when he was with them. Randy was though. And I've seen Timothy much more recently of course. But to have seen Randy and Don Felder with them before they resigned, got fired or were run off <LOL> was something I treasure.

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
They were indeed playing tracks from Hotel California just before its release. In the Houston 1976 bootleg I have which was recorded on November 6, they played Hotel California and Wasted Time.

According to this site (http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/MEISNER/randyconcerts.htm), they played Wichita on November 15, 1976. Sounds like that was your show. Guess your memory's not too shabby! ;)

Judy
04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Well then, I guess it was Joe and I missed Bernie, too. I don't seem to remember the curly hair. Except on Don, of course. :inlove:

Good find, by the way. It amazes me how you find all this stuff.

MikeA
04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
They were indeed playing tracks from Hotel California just before its release. In the Houston 1976 bootleg I have which was recorded on November 6, they played Hotel California and Wasted Time.

According to this site (http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/MEISNER/randyconcerts.htm), they played Wichita on November 15, 1976. Sounds like that was your show. Guess your memory's not too shabby! ;)

Had to be it Nancy. Verna and I were "together" by the end of the year and since the Eagles were one of her favorite groups, we always regretted that she and I didn't make that concert together. We made up for it when they started touring in 2001 though. Traveled all over the country attending concerts.

But there wouldn't ever be anything like the Hotel California tour again. The album was released in December and within a week was Platinum. The guys knew they had something really special with that one!

Oh, Judy, Joe replaced Bernie in '75. It took them a while to get Hotel California ready for release. And took even longer to release "The Long Run."

Judy
04-23-2011, 09:47 PM
But there wouldn't ever be anything like the Hotel California tour again. The album was released in December and within a week was Platinum. The guys knew they had something really special with that one!

Now I'm more convinced than ever that it was real. They said it wasn't out in the stores yet and they were selling it there (HC). Was that legal? That wouldn't be legal now, right? Just like a store, they couldn't sell before street date? :shrug:

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Nah, it would be perfectly legal. A lot of times bands authorize special promotions like that. Sounds like it was the real deal!

Glennsallnighter
04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Welcome from me too Judy! Your stories and memories are very entertaining and I've loved reading you and Mike doing 'Catch-up'. (Mike!!! never realised you'd a Plaintiff too). Of course I too commiserate with you on the loss of your husband. You must have been very shocked when that incident happened. :hug:. It can't have been easy.

Anyway Judy, Its great to hear whet those early (Or earlier) gigs were like. I've been to 4 gigs since 2006. I'd give MORE than a body part to let Glenn :heart: (My fave.... I'm sure you've guessed why) sign a record, cd...... hell beermat for me!

Have fun on the Border.

Prettymaid
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
When the new technology came in, I got rid of all my albums. The brain scan comes back next Tuesday. :shrug:

This part cracked me up! I think a lot of us got rid of our LPs, not realizing the goldmines we had back then.

Welcome from me too Judy. Thanks for sharing your story.

Molly
04-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome, Judy. Looks like you're fitting right in around here!

Enjoy!

TimothyBFan
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late with my welcome!! It sounds to me as if you are going to love it here with the rest of us.

Loved reading about you & Mike's HC concert experience...tho it's a sore spot with me. I had a ticket with my cousin for that tour but wasn't allowed to go because parents thought I was to young at the age of 12 for a rock concert. :cry:

and Timothy was lots of fun that night. A story for some other time. I've been to other concerts, too. Ok. Enough of that for now.

Has it been long enough now? Spill it!!! :hilarious:

This part cracked me up! I think a lot of us got rid of our LPs, not realizing the goldmines we had back then.

Some of us are very glad we kept all of them....even tho 900 albums does take up a lot of room in their husband's garage!! :unimpressed::hilarious:

Brooke
04-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome from me, too, Judy! It's great to hear your stories! I also went to a show in 1976 in St. Louis! About all I remember from it is they sounded great and looked like ants down on the stage because I was sitting way up in the rafters of the Checkerdome. I'm pretty sure the reason I don't remember much is all the 'smoke' drifted up there! I was too scared to leave my seat, but my brother and cousin told us afterwards that they managed to make their way down to the stage and saw them up close. I was so jealous, but not sure I really believed them either! My brother still tells the story to this day, so who knows!

I do remember hearing Hotel California and that JD Souther was also there. I wished I had money to buy a t-shirt, but don't even know if they had them for sale. I'm sure they didn't say they'd sign autographs, it was a huge arena! I wish I would have saved my ticket stub.

So welcome and join right in!

Judy
04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the nice welcomes. I got to thinking you might be thinking different things-my husband died of a heart attack. I held it together pretty good-but I lost it when I called to tell his sister.

I'm glad you're enjoying my concert experiences. I have enjoyed all of your experiences and your knowledge. I can't keep all those facts in my head. I have to relearn some of them.

I can't tell you all my concert experiences the same week! :) I don't have that many. I'll go over to the concert thread & write about my Duluth experience.

rcknalwys
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Welcome Judy. It is so great to hear all the stories you started so thank you for jump starting the memories. I know you will enjoy your journey here with everyone-and take it from me-you will!

Annabel
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm a bit late too in welcoming you but better late than never. :laugh: Hope you enjoy your stay here. :partytime: