PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Ordinary Average Guy was released 20 years ago today - April 23, 1991!

While it's not his strongest effort, it still has some highlights. I will stay positive and put "no comment" next to the truly sucky ones.

Two Sides to Every Story (http://youtu.be/Fzvkqq9BOdI) - it can get a little sing-songy, but it has some clever lyrics.

Ordinary Average Guy - One time I dated a guy who knew Joe Walsh solely from this song (he was born in 1974) - and he thought the song was great. So do I! It's funny and catchy. Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNAkPsjAEk

P.S I never knew Joe Walsh had a YouTube Vevo Channel!

Gamma Goochee - No comment.

All of a Sudden (http://youtu.be/i6uZwBIo0wE) - I think this one is pretty and Joe sings it with emotion. Some may find it too soft-rockish but it's a standout track to me. Love the way the sax transitions into the guitar in the instrumental interlude about halfway through.

Alphabetical Order - No comment.

Look at Us Now (http://youtu.be/M-rG7psROig) - The energetic drums throughout provide a sense of urgency to this song about us destroying the world - like we'd better stop it now or we're screwed. A different kind of "statement" song. Effective.

I'm Actin' Different (http://youtu.be/bt1H7kofSlU) - This song isn't a favorite of mine but the part about the "bright lights" is nice. The "never gonna change" part is also interesting.

Up All Night - This is an interesting song because the lyrics seem kind of ambiguous - he overtly seems to still be having fun staying up all night but his vocal has nothing like the spirit of "All Night Long" and some of the verses seem downbeat. When viewed in the context of Joe's life, it's telling.

You Might Need Somebody (http://youtu.be/k-5zv3kwz64) - another one I like that is always overlooked. The moody tone works and I like the use of the background singers, too.

Where I Grew Up (Prelude to School Days) - There's not much to this little piece but the melody is nice.

School Days - Not the greatest but not awful. It's got a peppy melody but the lyrics are kind of melancholy. It's like "Summer of '69" in theme but not quite up to that one in terms of execution.

Any other thoughts, Joe fans? (I know not many have the album so I linked to the songs I could find - feel free to listen and offer opinions)

MikeA
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Gotta be honest...Joe has had a lot of just mediocre songs and several are on this album. I think Joe was on a synth kick on this album. Just so much that doesn't sound "real".

Joe used a lot of special effects on this album. Not talking about stomp boxes. Electric Drum Kit metal sound. Other stuff too. But the thing that stands out more than anything else to me is that the general vocal formula on this album seemed to be close to the same on all the songs.

I did really like OAG. It was just a fun song.

I liked the drive of "Two Sides To Every Story" and Joe's vocals better fitted this song more so than others on this album. I like the harp at the beginning too.

"Gamma Go0chee" did have some good slide guitar...not a lot but enought to identify it with Joe. His "Pulpit" voice was a bit funny but the song didn't have a lot going for it.

"All of a Sudden"...I liked the guitar work in most of it but the vocals and the lyrics didn't do much for me. Too choppy or something.

"Alphabetical Order"....I think he must have been stoned when he came up with this one <LOL> Nuff Said. That's probably not a far out speculation. Joe didn't get straight and sober until '94 and he was really used up in 90 and 91. Sad.

"Look At Us Now": Agree with Nancy...loved the drums. One of the highlights on the album that didn't have a lot of things to find good about.

"I'm Acting Different" He's carrying that slurred note thing in his vocals and has been using it on most of the songs on this album. Not noteworthy.

"Up All Night" another forgettable song. But his vocals were a bit better here than on some of them.

"You Might Need Somebody" Vocally, this was one of the better cuts on the album. He had some good background vocalists on it.

"Where I Grew Up" This one just did absolutely nothing for me.

"School Days" Good Guitar! Joe's vocals make me think that he was actually interested in singing this one!

I feel like a Traitor making these kind of comments about anything Joe has done, but I can't come up with a lot of high praise for this one. It just let us die-hard fans know that Joe was still alive...though barely.

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 08:44 PM
It's alright - this thread is about discussion, whether you like the songs or not.

As for "Alphabetical Order" - I have to agree that he was probably "acting under the influence" when he came up with that. However, the good news is that it gave him good practice for texting people 20 years later!

For those who haven't heard it, check out the lyrics 2 c what I mean. ;)

A!
A-A!
Triple A! (Triple A?)
Heh hey hey!
U can B 1. U can B 1, 2
2 B, or not 2 B, C?
ABCs R EZ
ABCs R fun, hey!
Alphabetical order

Here we go
UFO on LSD
R2D2, C3PO, how 'bout ET?
ABC, BBC, CBS, NBC
MTV, VH1, HBO, CNN, SCTV
SAT, CD, BA, BS? And how 'bout PhD? Hey!

Alphabetical order
Hey hey hey! Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z
Alphabetical order, it's EZ
DWI, MADD, EAR, hey, ERA
PMS, IUD, VD, HIV? RU12? Uh-O!
DNA, S&M, TLC, ILBTs, X

Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z

CIA, ADB, FBI, IRS
TRW, IOU, CPA, SOS
A-1-W-9-2-W
3D, 4H, E-I-E-I-O!
10SC!
PS
N-E-S-T-L-E-S
R-O-L-A-I-D-S
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
M-I-C-K-E-Y
Y?
Y?
'Cause we like 2
USA, hey!

Alphabetical order

WalshFan88
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I love the title track!

jdubfan
04-24-2011, 12:01 PM
As always, I can find something positive in any Joe song. Turn of a phrase, a nice chord progression, some Joecasm or cool sound effect. That said, this was a cry for help as much as an artistic expression. As I've said in other posts, I saw Joe a few times in the '91 or '92 era during the supporting tour and never thought I'd see him alive again. His physical appearance was shocking. And during the Joe Joe and the Chocolate Waddy enablers convention, nobody was brave enough or sober enough to realize the product wasn't up to previous standards. Joe's said some strong things about this album, hated it and hated the tour. Enough that this is the only album, I think, that isn't represented on "Look What I Did". The OAG is actually a POT live tract, not from this album.

2 sides - Probably my favorite track from the album, I think it rocks. I also enjoy the harp intro, can't remember who he said taught him to play....

OAG - Not my favorite Joe song, somewhat reflective on LBG after a few years.

Gamma - At least its not his composition. Sometimes I find it amusing, usually it gets skipped.

All of a Sudden - kinduva druggie confessional. All of a sudden the Sh!t hits the fan and you didn't even see it coming 'cause you were so out of it most of the time. Makes sense later on...I think this is very interspective depth-wise compared to other songs here. I like the slide work.

Alpha Order - Some nice licks, some clever puns, more Joe Joe and the Chocolate Waddy escapades. Sounds so loaded.

Look At Us Now - As an environmentalist, I love this song, he was about 20 years ahead, or behind...some more nice licks and drums.

Same Ol Way - More introspection. Acting different but hasn't changed. The addict sees no future but can't face the "bright lights" he's still an understudy not the lead actor in his own life. Never gonna change?

Up All Night - still about his lifestyle, new day that didn't matter, world still turns anyway. Still some nice licks. not a fav of mine.

You Might Need Somebody - some pretty vulnerable stuff. I like this one. Some good voicebox work.

Where I grew up - some nice nastalgia about his mom and dad. Intro to Joe Vitale's song

School Days - This is a Joe Vitale song and lead vocal. I do like Joe Ws pic runs, jam at the end, nice drums, otherwise forgetable.

I think the pic on the back is very telling. it's the saddest JW pic I've ever seen...they say they every pic's a thousand words, I think this one says more than that.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5649443099_6c46fdc7f4_m.jpg

sodascouts
04-23-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm reviving this thread from last year because, once again, it's the anniversary of the release of Ordinary Average Guy! Feel free to leave your thoughts!

GlennLover
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
As I'm sure it does with you, it brings back memories of The Party of Two show in Aspen 2 summers ago - Joe: "I've got a condo" Glenn: "And I've got a lodge". And also - Joe: "Pick up the dog s**t, hope that it's hard". Ah, memories, memories. :)

sodascouts
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Gosh, is it really going on two years now since the Party of Two show in Aspen? Dang!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Happy 21st Anniversary Ordinary Average Guy!

I loved hearing the song live in Aspen too. Like GL, I cracked up at the line, "I've got a condo", and "I've got a lodge".

mustangkim11
04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
That OAG video just slays me. From the fingers on those strings to the silver on those boots and all that sexiness contained in that frame.........Wait, yes, I do have it pretty bad for Mr. Walsh.

Anyway, OAG was the third Joe Walsh album I ever bought and for me, my fav songs on it are-

Two Sides To Every Story
All Of A Sudden (Swoon!)-nice to hear Joe do a love song
Look At Us Now-good drum beat
You Might Need Somebody

The song that I think doesn't do it for me is Gamma Goochie. I think Joe could have chosen something better for that space on the album.

sodascouts
04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
ITA. Not a good way to start the party!

sodascouts
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Happy birthday to Ordinary Average Guy!

mustangkim11
04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
That OAG video just slays me. From the fingers on those strings to the silver on those boots and all that sexiness contained in that frame.........Wait, yes, I do have it pretty bad for Mr. Walsh.

Anyway, OAG was the third Joe Walsh album I ever bought and for me, my fav songs on it are-

Two Sides To Every Story
All Of A Sudden (Swoon!)-nice to hear Joe do a love song
Look At Us Now-good drum beat
You Might Need Somebody

The song that I think doesn't do it for me is Gamma Goochie. I think Joe could have chosen something better for that space on the album.

One year later and I still haven't changed my tune. Joe is still #1 in my book! :nahnah::smitten:

sad-cafe
07-13-2013, 01:15 AM
I have a funny one to tell with this one.

I was getting all my top teeth pulled for my denture plate. Doc said I could play my ipod to help drown out the noise from teeth scraping and all that. Hubby helped me load it up the night before. It is fairly now so I wasn't all sure of the workings of it. I knew how to turn it on and that was about it.

So I get the laughing gas and put my ipod in Ordinary Average Guys is on during the pulling of the teeth . In between the song, Joe says "oh no, here comes a bunch of WaWas. or something like that. Then the song repeated. 3 times total while I was under laughing gas getting all my top teeth out. It was a HOOT. Even the dentist laughed

shunlvswx
04-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Today's the 23rd Anniversary of Ordinary Average Guy. I don't know that much about this album, but I like the title track.

A lot of anniversaries this week.

DJ
04-23-2014, 12:08 PM
It's alright - this thread is about discussion, whether you like the songs or not.

As for "Alphabetical Order" - I have to agree that he was probably "acting under the influence" when he came up with that. However, the good news is that it gave him good practice for texting people 20 years later!

For those who haven't heard it, check out the lyrics 2 c what I mean. ;)

A!
A-A!
Triple A! (Triple A?)
Heh hey hey!
U can B 1. U can B 1, 2
2 B, or not 2 B, C?
ABCs R EZ
ABCs R fun, hey!
Alphabetical order

Here we go
UFO on LSD
R2D2, C3PO, how 'bout ET?
ABC, BBC, CBS, NBC
MTV, VH1, HBO, CNN, SCTV
SAT, CD, BA, BS? And how 'bout PhD? Hey!

Alphabetical order
Hey hey hey! Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z
DWI, MADD, EAR, hey, ERA
PMS, IUD, VD, HIV? RU12? Uh-O!
DNA, S&M, TLC, ILBTs, X

Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z

CIA, ADB, FBI, IRS
TRW, IOU, CPA, SOS
A-1-W-9-2-W
3D, 4H, E-I-E-I-O!
10SC!
PS
N-E-S-T-L-E-S
R-O-L-A-I-D-S
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
M-I-C-K-E-Y
Y?
Y?
'Cause we like 2
USA, hey!

Alphabetical order
Not exactly the song I'd put on my play list but interesting. It is amazing how much we abbreviate things and even more so today! You're right Soda he was a man ahead of his time for texting! :laugh:

Midnight Visitor
04-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I absolutely adore both of Joe's albums that came out in the 90's. They've survived far better than any of Joe's albums from the 1980's. I listen to this album in it's entirety. My least favorite song is the title track. My absolute favorite song on this album is Look At Us Now. Live this track was a monster!! Or as Joe used to say before that song, "Look out for the drummers!" Some of the best lyrics ever:

"Look At Us Now"

People, look at us now
In the midst of confusion
We lost sight somehow
How, in the name of the planet
I just don't understand it
Look at us now
People, open your eyes
How can everyone see it
And yet be so blind?
And still, still we go on pretending
Nothing is wrong, we don't have that long
Open your eyes

Children, this is your song
In case someday you need one
Long after I'm gone
Please take care of the planet
Like the way that God planned it
And pass it along
Please, take care of the planet
That's the way that God planned it
Pass it along, to your children
Children, children.....

Without a doubt a precursor to the album after this one: Songs For a Dying Planet. Even dead drunk Joe was an environmentalist that worried about the future of this planet.

sodascouts
04-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Glad you appreciate his 90s efforts, MV! Joe himself downplays them in interviews. I prefer his early 80s work, but I agree that LAUN is good.

Midnight Visitor
04-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Tho, honestly, Joe's absolute BEST work was in the 70's! They don't call it classic rock for nothing.

Unfortunately, Joe downplays his ENTIRE catalog. Going to Ringo shows were such a drag because we'd get a couple Eagles songs & RMW from him. RMW is one of the few songs of Joe's that I never need to hear again. Joe's always lacked faith in his own songwriting. Tho, I have heard him say the entire 80's were a waste and I assume he was talking about his albums as well.

sodascouts
04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
So true. He underrates his songwriting a lot. It's like when he's saying he was in awe of Don and Glenn because he could never write like they do... yet he's written some brilliant material, too.

04-24-2014, 11:30 PM
So true. He underrates his songwriting a lot. It's like when he's saying he was in awe of Don and Glenn because he could never write like they do... yet he's written some brilliant material, too.

I agree, Soda.

And HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY TO ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY!!!

WalshFan88
04-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Happy Belated Anniversary "Ordinary Average Guy".

mustangkim11
04-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Happy Belated Anniversary to OAG! :guitar::headbang::rockguitar::band::thud::inlove:

shunlvswx
04-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Happy 24th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy!!

Brooke
04-23-2015, 11:27 AM
That guy is anything but ordinary! :lol:

Happy 24th anyway!

sodascouts
04-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Happy birthday, OAG!!

DJ
04-23-2015, 10:19 PM
HAPPY BELATED ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY.

Funk 50
04-24-2015, 10:38 AM
I enjoyed reading through the posts in this thread.

I bought Ordinary Average Guy in the 15th May 1991 and I paid £18.39 for it. Very difficult to find and you had to pay double the price of a regular CD to own it. I'm so glad the record companies have since got a good kicking.

There's nothing on the CD that I really love or really detest. The Barnstorm Revisited suggestion was a little wishful thinking imho. The late Rick Rosas and drummer, Chad Cromwell (the mighty rhythm section for Neil Young's Rocking In The Free World) aren't like for like subs for Kenny Passarelli and Rocke Grace.

Two Sides Of The Story has a great R&B harmonica riff, and some splendid power chord-age played by Joe. He played great harmonica on the Barnstorm album too but more contemplative on the lovely acoustic (Coming Down).

Ordinary Average Guy is like the verses to Life's Been Good but doesn't have the rocking guitar.

I originally disliked the cover of The Kingsmen's, The Gamma Goochee but it's one of my favourites now. Sure it's crazy wacky Joe but the guitar's really good too.

Not a fan of All Of A Sudden. Co-writer Jimi Jamieson of Survivor (not creditted on my CD), says the song is a close relation of Survivor's big hit Burning Heart. American hair rock ballad, complete with sax solo.

Alphabetical Order is Joe just messing with words over a keyboard and guitar riff. I've heard the guitar riff on some recent Eagles performances of Funk #49. I'm uneasy with the "HIV, RU12" line. HIV was originally a desease that only occurred in the gay community so there is a hint of homophobia there.

Look At Us Now is arguably the standout track. Conceptually it seems to be a perfect fit for Joe's 1992 album, Songs For A Dying Planet. Joe opened some 21st Century shows with Look At Us Now with a slightly different arrangement that was pretty good.

I'm Acting Different is a decent acoustic song with prominent backing vocals but not much guitar to liven it up.

When Stevie Winwood released the wonderful Split Decision, I remember him saying that he wrote two songs with Joe, the other was called, Up All Night.
Winwood isn't creditted but I guess it's the same song. I like the song but I'm not at all keen on the intro.
Up All Night and Ordinary Average Guy both appeared, along with It's Alright from Songs For A Dying Planet, on Homegrown, the album Joe made with New Zealand Reggae band, The Herbs in 1989.

You Might Need Somebody is a cover of a big Randy Crawford hit. Writer Tom Snow says Joe's version is closer to his original concept of the song.

All The Eagles have a knack of doing soul music with guitar based instrumentation.

The album closes with a nostalgic themed two song medley, Where I Grew Up and School Days, the first a great little Walsh reminiscence, that also forms part of Vitale's rocking memoir that follows. The track and album closes strongly with some fabulous power chords.

In retrospect I think Ordinary Average Guy could be a collection of songs that didn't fit the concept of the album that closely followed it, Songs For A Dying Planet, which I listen to a hell of a lot more and have a lot more affection for.

shunlvswx
04-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Happy 25th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy. I still haven't bought this album and I only heard Ordinary Average Guy from this album.

Midnight Visitor
04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Happy 25th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy. I still haven't bought this album and I only heard Ordinary Average Guy from this album.

That's a damn shame. It is a wonderful album! I like it more than most of what Joe put out in the 80's.

04-23-2016, 12:32 PM
HAPPY 25TH ANNIVERSARY ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY!!!

Wow! Another milestone for another Eagles-related album. They just keep coming, don't they?

I love the title track on this album, but, overall, I have to say that I'm one that prefers Joe's '80's albums over the ones in the '90's.

buffyfan145
04-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Happy 25th to "Ordinary Average Guy"!!! :D My Dad still has this and I remember when he first got it, which I would've been around 5, and I loved the lyrics to the title track. :lol: LOL My brother and I would crack up every time my Dad played it, and also because my Dad said it described him and his friends.

Funk 50
04-24-2016, 07:44 AM
OAG get's a bit of recognition at the Ultimate Classic Rock website; http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-ordinary-average-guy/.

I can remember buying that Wilson Phillips LP, and The Simpsons Sing The Blues. It was a bad time to be a Walsh fan. Richard Marx is pretty good though.

I played those 80s and 90s Walsh albums, Over And Over again, for months on end, in the hope that I'd get to like them more. The 70s albums, I was hooked after a couple of listens.

Here's an emaciated and probably, inebriated Joe performing Two Sides To Every Story in 1991. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsYBcxCCDoY

It's a tough song to sing, even without the harmonica duties, Joe Vitale helps out a little bit, I think they shoulda made it into a full blown duet, It looks like Al Kooper helping out on guitar and "wardrobe malfunction"

I was actually looking for the tv performance where Joe's guitar jack becomes detached from his guitar and the show band play their own version of the song. Joe really was a mess at the time! :shock:

shunlvswx
04-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Happy 26th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy.

I love the title track. I used to hate the video to OAG, but it has grown on me.

shunlvswx
04-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Happy 28th Birthday to the Ordinary Average Guy album.

04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
A belated

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY!!!

The title track cracks me up - gotta love Joe's ironic sense of humor.

shunlvswx
04-27-2019, 10:04 PM
I love the title track. I hated the video for years, but it has grown on me.

LuvTim
04-29-2019, 08:26 PM
It is a funny song!
Congrats, Joe! ​💖

Brooke
04-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Love it, Joe! :hilarious:

sodascouts
04-30-2019, 07:21 PM
I love the title track. I hated the video for years, but it has grown on me.

I'm still not a huge fan of the video... but the song makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNAkPsjAEk

shunlvswx
04-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Happy 29th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy.

KingWalsh
04-24-2020, 12:25 AM
Wow! Cheers! I know a lot of people don't like this album and all though it's not my fave, I do like it. I play songs regularly from it -- especially. "All of a Sudden", "You Might Need Somebody", "Two Sides to Every Story" and of course the title track. Deeper cuts aren't bad either , and maybe I'm in the minority but I found the "The Gamma Goochee" fun :spin:

Joe was struggling personally, and Trying to find where he fit in the 80s/90s which was loaded with over production and synthesizers...is it his best? No but go back and listen to some of the stuff from that era and you'll find a lot of the classic rock artists having a hard time trying to fit into that sound (in my opinion). I wish he wouldve just rocked out, but what can you do?

I love the cover art! Sorry but I do it just pops. I am currently coming up with a Eagles wall which will have the tickets for the MSG show, concert pics and disxography, and also a Joe wall...torn how to do this thinking off doing a collage with his album covers.

04-25-2020, 12:55 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO OAG!!!

I tend to prefer Joe's earlier work to his '90's stuff, but I do love the title track. It's really fun live, too.

KingWalsh
04-28-2020, 02:56 AM
Absolutely dreamer his early stuff is superior, but I think this album gets a bad rap. Especially with all that was going on it sure did take a toll on him, thank God he did the right thing and got sober.