PDA

View Full Version : Duluth, MN May, 2004

Judy
04-25-2011, 07:52 PM
The last Eagles concert I was at was in June 2003 on my birthday in Minneapolis. Not the greatest seats I ever had in the world (12th row and way off to the side), but I enjoyed the concert. That was the month Don's mom died. His voice was so perfect that night, I told my sister I swore he was singing for his mother.

Nine months later, we are on a road trip to Duluth. I can't remember the exact date, and can't find my tickets stubs now, but I believe it was the first part of May. We live in a suburb on Minneapolis. It was hot and I turned on the air conditioner. It's about a 4 hour drive. When we got up there and I opened the door it was colder outside than it was inside the car with the air conditioner! We laughed about that. We would be my sister and me.

The concert is at a place called DECC Arena. I'd never seen the place. All I knew is our tickets were in the 1st row of the second tier, so I thought, oh well, that's not so bad. At least we were at the end of the row. We got in there. THE FIRST TIER IS TWO ROWS!!!! We were three rows and a walkway away from the stage (and that was the walkway they were using to enter and exit stage)! My seat was directly to the side of Timothy, but he was down just a little lower than us. He tends to play to his right anyway, but after the break and when they were being introduced, I realized the people sitting directly behind us had seen him during the break. I never got to talk to them, though. He was full of energy that night. Our whole section was up dancing (all night) and he was dancing and playing alternately to the front and side of the stage all night. It almost seemed like half and half. I have never seen him dance that much since, either. He looked like he was having as much fun as I was. The rows were steep (really steep) and I could tell the difference which row he was looking at, and I made eye contact with him a few times, so that made the concert that much more enjoyable. That was back when Don & Glenn were starting to move around on stage more.

They started playing Funk 49 and the lighting was different than it had been. The lights kept changing colors on certain places in the song where there was a pause, and every time the lights would change the guys would get into a Charlie's Angels-like pose with their guitars. Now you've got to stop and picture this in your head. When the light changed they would quit moving and were like statues. At one point Glenn was on one foot with his guitar extended and he almost tipped over. It took him a really long time to right himself. I have to give him credit, he didn't put the other foot down...but he didn't do that particular move again, either! :laugh: They were just trying it out. Afterward, they were doing something like that but not so Charlie's Angels-ish.

Don's voice started loosening up when he sang One of These Nights, so that was good, but he was sick and he was really sweaty. At one point, he was standing off at the side of the stage, and I think he even saw the towel, but maybe he felt too cruddy to walk over there. He picked up his shirt and wiped his drenched face with it. I kept thinking about him wearing that sweaty shirt the rest of the night. We were at the side of the stage where they went in and out and just up high enough that if there was anything to be seen I could see it. They were just behind curtains. I saw a couple Eagle faces poke out a couple times, but that was it.

The handicap access was just to the left of us. A man brought in a young man in a wheelchair that was severly palsied. He was spastic (and I don't mean that in a rude or ugly way), but he kept perfect beat with his hands when the music was playing. I would have never believed that if I hadn't seen it myself. The young man really liked Joe and when Timothy and Joe traded sides, the guy that brought him got Joe's attention, and Joe played in front of him a really long time. I thought that was really sweet.

So that was my fun Timothy night. I remember it fondly.

Prettymaid
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I love that you have such a good memory! (Wish I did.) It sounds like a great night, with Timothy dancing around on stage. I have to admit I'm a little envious. :jealous:

Judy
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Oops. Found my stubs. Got my dates a little mixed up there. Don's mom died in 2002 and I did see them on my birthday. My 2003 concert was in Oct. I was surprised when they came back a second time so soon, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when they played so close again in 2004.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Judy, totally amazing! I KNOW it was in 2003, on the Farewell I Tour, that Verna and I drove up to Minneapolis/St Paul for the concert there! All of our ticket stubs are in a large frame but several have slid down the glass and are hidden behind other tickets. It had to be in the Spring/Summer because we didn't see any snow!

I'll dig through those and see if I can find them. I don't remember where we were sitting for that concert but I suspect it was in the nose bleeds. I think we caught them at St Louis on that trip and then again in Dallas and Oklahoma City..

Do you remember the name of the arena in Minneapolis/St Paul? To be honest, I remember what we did while "up there" more so than the concert. We spent all of one day driving around along that river. We stopped at some German Restaurant and I had a wonderful Bratwurst. We also went to a little park. There was a small canyon with a waterfall at one end and we were looking down into it from a fenced overlook and saw this person sitting on a rock with an acoustic guitar in front of the waterfall. We searched around until we found a path leading down into the secluded space and and I just couldn't believe the acoustics down there! Talked to the young lady playing the guitar there and she said that she came there almost every day and played and sang because of the unbelievable echo there.

We spent some time at the "Mall Of America" too. Amazing though. That we may have been at the same concert 8 years ago!

This was the Arena:

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/ConcertCities/St%20Paul%20Arena.jpg

TimothyBFan
04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
So that was my fun Timothy night. I remember it fondly.

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!:hilarious: I'd remember it "fondly" and make sure he did too!! :heybaby:

Prettymaid
04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!:hilarious: I'd remember it "fondly" and make sure he did too!! :heybaby:

You had one, don't you remember? October 2009 in Chicago? Timothy's solo show? Okay so you were both a little nervous - but it was fun!!! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
You had one, don't you remember? October 2009 in Chicago? Timothy's solo show? Okay so you were both a little nervous - but it was fun!!! :hilarious:

**sigh** Of course I remember it fondly!!! And of course we were both nervous---Jean was there also, along with you, ltlh, Nancy and a couple hundred others!! :fear: :hilarious: I'm greedy---I want another one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, not to be outdone my little Laura had her 'Timothy Moment' too in 2008 in London. We were in the second row in the O2 on the first night ever of the LROOE tour. I was right under Glenn :heart: and I pointed Timothy out to Laura. he mustve seen me coz much to her delight (Tim being her favourite) he looked over at her smiled and waved to her.

And she was only 6 at the time!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for sharing your concert experiences with us Judy. I love reading these, especially when the guys are in such good spirits. I know one thing, I have a lot of Eagles-related experiences that I will always cherish. :thumbsup:

Judy
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Mike, the name of the arena is on your picture. It's the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. They played there in June 2002 & Oct. 2003. In 1995 & 2008 they played at the Target Center in Minneapolis. My stub shows the show was on Friday, Oct. 17, 2003. It's possible we were having an Indian summer day or something. (If you're not familiar with that term, it's a warm summer-like day in the fall. I wan't sure if that was a regional expression or not.) I don't remember a thing about the weather. It looks like a nice day in your picture. For that concert I was in row 13. My sister and I had agreed to get separate seats if we could get better ones that way. She ended up with something like 25th row. I got the better seat because I was the bigger Eagles fan. There was a guy next to me and he & his girlfriend did their seats like that, too. He tried to talk me into trading places with his girlfriend. When I wouldn't do it, he went up and got her and squeezed her in between us (I was at the end of the row). I wasn't mad, but security was and they came and took them both out of there. I don't remember much about the concert other than Don sounded really good again that night. I seem to remember they put Witchy Woman back in the set during that time period. Wasn't there some discussion of Turn to Stone the other day? I remember that song, because I was exhausted, and I sat to rest during that song.

When I looked at my stub for Duluth again, I was in the 2nd row. I looked up their seating and their was only one tier on my side. The sections are numbered differently now, though. I would have been in the first gray section there. (I think it was 106 or 107 when I looked on their site. It was called section 19 when I sat in it. Weird.)

MikeA
04-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Ahhh, found the tickets: June 19, 2002. seat 101 5 1 K wherever that was! I really can't remember that concert. Except that it was one freakin' LONG drive to get up there! The tickets were $135 ea.

We went to so many of the concerts in such a short period of time that most of them sort of run together.

There were highlight stops on our stalking of them over a period of 3 or 4 years. Chicago, where I met Joe stands out. And Indianapolis were I had 3rd row seats and TBS jumped off stage to give a pick to a little girl directly in front of me (then after the break, Glenn handed the security guard what turned out to be two complete sets of picks for the girl and her sister. And then after the first song, Henley brought the sticks he used and gave them to the little girls). That little girl...couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 looked like Shirley Temple. Standing up in the seat the entire concert and belting out all the lyrics and keeping time with ever song! Timothy spotted her and made eyes at her all during the first set <LOL>. Oh were the two ladies sitting next to us PISSED! I heard one say to the other "How come that little girl gets everything. We're a lot bigger fans than she is!" I wanted to lean over to them and tell them that KARMA HAPPENS! <LOL>

Let's see, on that particular leg of our stalking, we'd gone to Madison, WI, then to Chicago, Then to Columbus, Ohio, then to Indianapolis, and then I think to either St Louis or to Dallas or to Wichita or to Oklahoma City. I just can't remember the 5th stop but there were 5 concerts in 7 days!

Minneapolis was not on that leg of "our" tours.

Judy
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Cute little girls stories, GA & Mike!

TimothyBFan
04-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Let's see, on that particular leg of our stalking, we'd gone to Madison, WI, then to Chicago, Then to Columbus, Ohio, then to Indianapolis, and then I think to either St Louis or to Dallas or to Wichita or to Oklahoma City. I just can't remember the 5th stop but there were 5 concerts in 7 days!

Minneapolis was not on that leg of "our" tours.

Lucky little girls!!! So very cool how the guys did that. I sure hope Mom & Dad made sure those treasures were put away for safe keeping!

BTW---Mike will you & Verna adopt me and take me on a stalking trip with you? Pleeeeez!!!

MikeA
04-27-2011, 08:30 AM
We made a big mistake Willie. We went to the Las Vegas concert in around 2005. Since then, that's the only city we've gone to on vacations! I think that was our last Eagles concert too. Since then, we've seen 3-Dog-Night, C&N, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Santana, Joe Walsh with the other two members of the Gang (Peters and Fox) and again with Stone Temple Pilot.

I think we netted something like 17 concerts (maybe off one or two) over less than 5 years. I think we've had enough <LOL>.

I'd still travel some to see Walsh again though.

sodascouts
04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
They started playing Funk 49 and the lighting was different than it had been. The lights kept changing colors on certain places in the song where there was a pause, and every time the lights would change the guys would get into a Charlie's Angels-like pose with their guitars. Now you've got to stop and picture this in your head. When the light changed they would quit moving and were like statues. At one point Glenn was on one foot with his guitar extended and he almost tipped over. It took him a really long time to right himself. I have to give him credit, he didn't put the other foot down...but he didn't do that particular move again, either! :laugh: They were just trying it out. Afterward, they were doing something like that but not so Charlie's Angels-ish.

Man, I wish I could've seen that! lol. Thanks for all the details!