PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Tornado Outbreak

EagleLady
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I ask that we all pray for the ones affected by these terrible storms in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia

tbs fanatic
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Really mind blowing how many have been killed in this latest storm. The number keeps creeping up. Very sad. It has just been a crazy 2011 so far.

tequila girl
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
It's been really horrendous for you all over there recently.......us Brits are reknowned for complaining about the weather - but all we get is rain, cold and the odd bit of snow - my thoughts are with all those unfortunate people and their families

MikeA
04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Definite scenario for Tragedy! Those folks in the Southeast normally do not have a basement to "escape" to in case of a Tornado. They are at the most risk that anyone could be placed under!

The only "safety" from a Tornado is to either manage to avoid its path completely, or get underground!

I know, they say that the safest place in your house is in a bathtub or closet or something like that, but that is ONLY the safest place outside of a BASEMENT or STORM CELLAR! There is no safe place outside of being underground.

My heart just plain goes out to those victims in the Southeast. They were Sitting Ducks and there was absolutely nothing most of them could have done no matter how much early warning they had!

Brooke
04-28-2011, 04:29 PM
This is so terrible and my prayers go out to everyone affected.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes! I have also been watching footage of some of those terrible tornados. I feel so sorry for the people caught up in them. I can only hope and pray that those of you in the path of these storms can remain as safe as possible and that generally there is no more loss of life. Also that damage to property is mimimal. I quote my terribly sensitive son 'Mom.... look... its not fair.... they lost their house... and their car' Even at age 7 he can comprehend how this awful natural disaster must be impinging on people.

STAY SAFE!!

sodascouts
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
My prayers are definitely with all the victims. I feel so fortunate to have escaped unscathed from the ones moving through here.

I had a pretty scary experience Tuesday, though. I was on campus teaching a night class when the sirens went off. We were in the basement already so that was fine, but after it passed I dismissed class and had a hard decision. You see, the tornadoes were heading TOWARDS my home on the east side of Memphis. I would actually be following the system! However, with another spate of tornadoes on the way, there was nothing I could do but get in the car and pray.

After a slow painful drive, I made it to my apartment complex safely. Then, as I was getting out of the car to go up to my apartment (on the top floor), the sirens went off! I didn't even have my raincoat. I just grabbed my bag and ran for it.

Everything turned out fine, but it wasn't fun - nor was being without power - but I realize how lucky I am. I hope we've seen the last of them for now in Memphis, at least.

EaglesFanatic
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been praying for all of the people affected by the tornadoes. Please stay safe everyone!!

MikeA
04-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I can't repeat it enough: The ONLY place safe during an F4 of an F5 Tornado is UNDERGROUND! Ditches won't work. Interior hallways won't do it. Bathtubs with pillows and blankets won't suffice. NOTHING will if you are hit by one of the maximum strength storms unless you are underground in a cellar or basement.

I'm on a RANT here because I just got off the phone from my Mother and she fully believes that she is totally safe when she pulls her pillows and blankets and portable battery powered TV all into the hallway. I tried to tell her but she said she saw pictures of houses in Alabama where the exterior walls of the house were gone but there were still interior walls standing and people survived by being there. Yep, you can be in a car that flips 15 times and lands on its wheels and survive too...one out of a million times!

I don't know how to get through to her. It IS better to get into the center of the house, place your head between your knees and pray than it is to go outside and welcome a Tornado with open arms....but not much better.

I know everyone doesn't have a basement or cellar but most people, especially in populated areas do have Grocery Stores around that have walk in refrigerators. Those are like vaults and are a LOT better and saver place to weather one of these storms. Many Churches have basements. Heck, the Pizza Hut in Andover has a basement dining area! Folks should plan ahead of time what they are going to do and when the situation happens....GO DO IT!

I don't know what to tell people who live where there absolutely is no shelter. Having lived in Kansas for 30+ years, if I were to move anywhere that was storm prone, I'd freakin' dig a cellar out in the back yard that I could take refuge in. I know a lot of folks in Arkansas who have done just that!

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank goodness you were safe Nancy! I hope you continue to stay so!

Brooke
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Soda, I was also thinking of you when I heard the tornadoes were going through Memphis. Glad to hear you were safe.

Freypower
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
This is a terrible tragedy. What dreadful weather the world has had this year.

WalshFan88
04-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Very bad.

Glad to hear you were safe Soda.

Annabel
04-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Thinking of all of you affected and hoping you stay safe. :grouphug:

We do get tornadoes in the UK, but thankfully they aren't anything like the size you experience in the US. The ones here in 2007 were T2 or T3s, enough to do some major damage but not anything like the scenes on the news from Alabama. :fear:

Koala
05-01-2011, 02:03 AM
This is so terrible!Stay safe everyone!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
This is yet another sad, horrible tragedy. Mother Nature has been very busy throughout the world over the last year or so. Just to remind us how fragile life can be I guess. My heart goes out to all of those affected by these storms.

sodascouts
05-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Ugh, more tornadoes today!!! So sick of sirens!

tequila girl
05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
We've not heard much here in the UK over the past few days....thought it had all died down......Stay safe y'all!! :hug:

rcknalwys
05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm in Tennessee also and like Soda we went through some scary moments with the recent and tragic tornadoes. My daughter works in Pickwick which had a tornado touch down while she was at work. Not realizing how close it was, she was looking out the window watching the clouds etc get sucked into the vortex. Several places were destroyed close to her but thankfully no one was injured. You are absolutely right that there is no place safe above ground but many of us have nowhere else to be. My heart goes out to all who have been affected.

tequila girl
05-01-2011, 04:19 PM
. Not realizing how close it was, she was looking out the window watching the clouds etc get sucked into the vortex.
Oh God, you have to realise we don't have any experience (or very little) of such things here in the UK rcknalwys...I hope your daughter was alright!?

MikeA
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I am literally broken hearted as I look at pictures and videos of that Tornado Outbreak in our Southeast. As bad as those pictures look on TV, that devastation is NOTHING compared to what it would look in person if you were on the scene. I've seen it first hand in our hometown of Andover, Ks back in '91 and it is impossible to describe the feeling of total loss when you walk through.

April 26 was the twenty-year anniversary and there hasn't been a year gone by that hasn't seen people here in Andover get a bit teary eyed thinking about it.

The loss of life here was 17 from that tornado (13 within the moble home park). I cannot fathom the loss of life in Alabama and other parts of our Southland.

Folks, hang in there. Do be a safe as you can and know that help from all over the country will be pouring in.