PDA

View Full Version : A few observations about Eagles shows.

Slider
05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm new to this board but have been an eagles fan for a long time. I have never had the opportunity to see them live but have collected a number of bootlegs and listen to the frequently. I just thought I would share few observations and thought of mine.

1) early shows there are lots of talking and joking between band members. By 1980 Only Glen Fry Says anything at all between songs, with an occassional greeting by a band member before they sing a song. I attribute that to tensions between band members.

2) My dad is a Long time Jazz musician and he tells me that you can tell when a band is having a good time on stage as their playing will be better and more alive. From the 2 1980 shows I have it shows that they are not having a good time at all. Though they play excellently I found both performances Stiff and unimaginative. Seattle 1976 is a show were they really seem to be enjoying themselves and I think it shows.

3) The 4th verse on Tequila sunrise about going to Mexico, I find myself constantly wondering why Frey Never sings that after 1977. Correct me if I'm wrong. I perfer the version with the Mexico Verse.

4) Joe Walsh is one of the Best Guitarists in Rock and Roll. Frey/Henley's policy of Play it live exactly like the record must Bore him to tears. He could really have some fun with those songs if they let him. Led Zeppelin had no problems with not performing just like the record in concert.

5) Don Henley seems to rarely say anything in concert, even in the early shows.

6) Song I wish they would resurect for current tour - A good day in Hell.

7) I really like the Silver Dagger Intro to Take It easy they used to do. Also missed in later shows.

Just a few of my thoughts.

MikeA
05-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't have a lot to challenge you on Slider, with those comments though I'd not go so extreme in saying they weren't having any fun. I doubt seriously that any of the guys were really hurting for money especially after the success of their "Greatest Hits" and "Hotel California" successes. And Joe being bored to tears....well, if he really is bored (and in talking to him He Isn't) he could annoint the hurt with all the money he's dragging in while being bored.

Seriously, if MONEY isn't the driving force keeping them together and performing as much as they do, then what's left? Phun? Satisfaction? Scratching their creative itches?

I don't feel too sorry for them <LOL>

WalshFan88
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I actually like the "playing it like the record" and the perfection. When I formed an Eagles tribute that was one thing I was adamant about. There is no doubt I am a tribute band guitarist. My specialty is playing everything note for note like the record. I'm not into doing original music or sloppy covers that aren't like the original in a bar band. That's one if the things I love about the Eagles. Although you aren't the only one. David Crosby said the same and that it was boring. I lost any interest in his music after he said that. Different strokes for different folks.

Don't have anything else to comment on than that part.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
First of all - welcome Slider. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. You've come to a really good place if you like talking about the Eagles.

As far as the band doing a lot of talking, they have never been known for talking much on stage even in their early days. I think the have the attitude that they let their music do most of the talking. Glenn has always done most of the talking during the shows. IMO, most of the difference between their shows now and the earlier shows is more maturity and sobriety. :grin: I believe they still enjoy themselves on stage, but it's definitely not the same as the wild times in the '70's. I agree in the latter part of that decade, there was a lot of tension that probably affected their performances.

I think many of us here would agree with you about the extra verse in Tequila Sunrise. I love it, too. I'm personally not as fond of the Silver Dagger intro to Take It Easy although it was fun when they did it. It did showcase the band's acapella harmonies before 7BR came along.

And lastly, as far as Joe, I doubt if he is bored with the band. I don't remember the question verbatim, but just recently in an interview, Joe was asked what was the single best thing that ever happened to his career. After thinking about it for a moment, Joe's answer was positively when he joined the Eagles.

I enjoyed reading your comments and hope you will browse around the forum and contribute to the discussion in other threads - old or new. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Welcome Slider! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'd love to hear that Mexico verse again as well, but right now they're not even playing the song! lol I will say that at the shows I went to, I always got the impression they were having fun.

Slider
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I guess as far as play it like the record or not its just a matter of personal taste. Myself, I always like it when a musician tries to bring new life into a old song by doing something different. Hendrix did a song in concert called machine gun, it varied in length anywhere from 12 to 22 minutes depending on what he felt like doing. Some versions better than others but always something different.

As far as the Joe Walsh thing, I'm sure he enjoys being with the eagles, otherwise he'd be doing something else. But, I've always felt that he is truly one of the best Guitarist's in rock. I would guess after a long tour of playing the same songs the same way night after night I would imagine that occasionally he would like to do things a little different just for fun. I doubt anyone would be dissappointed if he did.

I like the chatter and laughter I hear in the early eagles shows, it gives more of a relaxed feeling and that the band is really enjoying themselves. I think by late in the Long Run Tour Tensions and bad feelings were all around. That chatter and laughter from early shows are simply gone and I've always felt thought the band played very well that something was simply missing from their performances in the two 80' shows I have.

Seattle 1976 is my favorite show, a bit glitchy in a couple parts and part of a song is missing but a excellent show. Great versons of Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise, A good day in hell, witchy woman and a spectactular verson of Turn to Stone. Absolutly blows the doors off any of the others eagles version of that song. The band was really on top of their game that night.

EaglesKiwi
05-02-2011, 04:04 AM
I thought Joe looked like he was having fun in both the Hell Freezes Over and Farewell 1 DVDs :guitar:

I guess some songs are a lot more "fun" to play than others, and they probably respond to the audience vibe too. :headbang:

MikeA
05-02-2011, 07:40 AM
I recon I like it both ways Slider. I mean, I'd hate for them to take "Witchy Woman" and turn it into a waltz or something radical like that. But I would not mind at all hearing Joe and Stu tear off on the Hotel California solo and do something different with it every once in a while.

As for Joe getting bored playing the same Eagles songs the Same was Night after Night...maybe with the older Country Rock that he really wasn't a part of. I think he does get some challenge from some of the Rockier songs. He has repeatedly stated that Hotel California is one of the most difficult songs he's ever played and he has said that he does enjoy getting into the guitar work on that one.

And, Joe doesn't limit himself to Eagles Tours. I know of two mini-tours he's recently gone off on when not touring with the Eagles. Once with Stone Temple Pilot and then also with Fox and Peters to reunite the James Gang. Rumors (acknowledged by Joe) of a new album of new music is in the process of being released.

But Joe has said himself that Joining the Eagles was probably the best thing that he's done. He didn't like being the BOSS and having to deal with every little detail when he was with the Gang. He didn't like having to be the lead vocals and also have to carry the melody on lead guitar while with the Gang. It was a little better when he was Solo before the Eagles but still, he had all that pressure that he hated, having to make all the decisions while touring.

His joining the Eagles tool virtually ALL that pressure away and allowed him to sit back, play his instrument with a very popular band and not have to be constantly pressed to come up with improvised solos. He has NOT been an unhappy camper with the Eagles. He has used the term "Hired Gun" and he likes that position. (The Hired Gun part, he was talking about NOT being a partner in Eagles LTD)

With all that said, I speculate that he does have some creative energy that is not satisfied entirely with his work with the Eagles. I have heard him talk about all the music he's recorded and set back over the years. I've heard him talk for almost 10 years now of having enough Rock and Roll material "on the shelf" to put out a recording of all new material. Joe's been busy doing a lot more than laying in an over-sized bed of cash since the Eagles reunited!

Finally, Joe does get his Ego Scratched during every concert when he does his solo work regardless of which songs he performs. The crowds LOVE Joe and really get off on his contributions. You certainly can tell that Joe becomes larger than life when he gets the crowd rockin'.

Prettymaid
05-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Slider and welcome. I hope you get a chance to see them live before they stop altogether. If you are a fan I think you would enjoy the show.

I have seen them three times - once in 2008, 2009 and 2010. I know what you mean by "stiff" performances. I have stated my views on this subject before. I also wish they would look like they're enjoying themselves more often while performing. I have to say that my favorite of the three shows I saw was the 2010 show in Indianapolis. Don, believe it or not, was having fun onstage and being downright silly at times. For me, that made the show so much more enjoyable.

I specifically remember us talking about this after they performed Busy Being Fabulous at the 2008 CMAs. You can watch the performance and read the discussion here. (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021&highlight=eagles+amc+awards&page=6)

Redcloud
01-01-2012, 08:11 AM
I saw them live in 96 having been a fan since 74 and saw them in the states on TV.

When I saw them live I was surprised that the set was "song perfect" and every note in place. It seemed to me that the sound was augmented using tapes and other trickery but maybe im wrong.

They were very static in 96 and not a lot of diologue on stage but i suppose when you have to play the same songs over and over again, night after night, then it gets difficult.

It would be terriific to see them in a live small venue playing whatever they chose to with maybe an acoustic set or singing stuff that influenced them.

The Eagles are the best guitar band in the world. They can really rock and should strip it down a bit on live production. Just my opinion though.

Happy new year.

01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I just went back and reread this thread. You know it's funny that one of the biggest complaints we always hear about the band's live performances is that they play songs note for note and don't improvise enough. I sure think that's a legitimate beef. However, I've always maintained that you can't argue with success. Going into their 40th year, this band is still selling tickets unequaled by very few other acts. Almost any casual fan that I've ever heard comment says that their show is one of the best concerts they have ever been too. So, I guess they must've gotten something right and figure there's no need to change the formula for success at this point. Just sayin' ... :thumbsup:

Glennhoney
01-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I for one, think it's one of the reasons they're still touring after 40 years...they give you exactly what you want to hear..no rearranging songs and messing them all up..no new band members, no comedy acts or moaning and groaning about their age, no political agenda (most times anyway,lol)...just a 2 hour concert of pure music..which is what you paid for...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol

Freypower
01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
We are hoping that their 40th anniversary DVD will include performances by artists who influenced them. One of these should be Glenn singing Buffalo Springfield's On The Way Home.

The LROOE setlist included an acoustic set until it was dropped when the show was shortened.

Freypower
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I for one, think it's one of the reasons they're still touring after 40 years...they give you exactly what you want to hear..no rearranging songs and messing them all up..no new band members, no comedy acts or moaning and groaning about their age, no political agenda (most times anyway,lol)...just a 2 hour concert of pure music..which is what you paid for...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol

Perhaps I shouldn't ask this, but why was she there in the first place? Was she unaware of Jackson Browne's political views?

I personally would like to see them change the arrangements of some of the songs to avoid them becoming stale.

GlennLover
01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I have always disliked it when I go to concerts & the arrangements of the songs differ greatly from the original recordings by that artist. Sticking close to the original is one reason I love the Eagles. However, after all this time, I wouldn't mind if they changed them up a bit. :drummer:

Windeagle
01-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I recently put together an iPod playlist I called my "Eagles dream concert," made up of a mix of songs and between-song chatter from the Live, HFO, and Millenium CDs. I was actually surprised by how much they DID change many of the songs, considering that most folks say the shows are note-perfect.

The changes were generally minor and usually done in the guitar leads (throwing the "Day Tripper" riff into "In The City" on HFO, for example) but they made a world of difference in selecting which live version to include in my setlist.

EaglesKiwi
01-03-2012, 05:31 AM
I think any live performance will have some variation from the recordings - the Eagles are meticulous about ensuring the standard is equally as high as the recordings, but they do change it up - subtly. (or in the case fo Desperado where Don holds the note at the end for an eternity-and-a-half, maybe not so subtly!:-)). And I LIKE that - I enjoy being able to sing along and I like the little differences that let me know that I'm at a live performance. :yay:

Mrs Frey
01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
This is a very interesting thread.

Regarding the Eagles being note-perfect at their concerts: that is actually one of the things that blew me away about the 2008 concert I attended. Few people realise how difficult it is to reproduce a song, be it vocally or instrumentally, exactly as it was originally recorded. Just ask the many ex-band members I've worked with... I've always been a stickler for perfection in the cover bands I played in and sang for, and even now, my musical partner and I try to vocally reproduce our cover songs as closely to the original singers as possible, because it's what the people want to hear.

I'm fine with minor improvisations, as long as the original arrangement is not blown out of all proportion.

As far as the boys being stiff on stage, I can't say I agree with that. Even on the opening night of their LROOE tour, they appeared to be really enjoying themselves, despite their initial nervousness which I picked up on (and which was completely understandable, considering they were introducing 9 new songs from the LROOE album - they needn't have worried, though :-)). All four Eagles talked a bit, although Glenn :heart: did the introductions and most of the talking. Speaking from personal experience, I reckon if the Don, Timothy and Joe do more talking than usual on a particular night, it's because they feel more comfortable doing so. It seems Glenn :heart: has been chosen as the main speaker of the band. This is evident from both the HFO and "Farewell 1" DVDs.

StephUK
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Personally I like the fact that the Eagles are note-perfect on stage. I also like the 'bigger sound' they get by having a large band, including a horn section. Having the band does make the older songs sound different from the original recordings even if they are note-perfect. Obviously it's the Eagles voices and the quality of the song writing that's most important, but having lots of musicians on stage creates a good atmosphere for the shows.

I do sometimes wish they would talk a little bit more between songs, and more ad-lib, not that I would want Glenn to stop doing his age-old jokes!!

It seems from the reviews posted here that we all notice when the Eagles are having a good time, and a laugh with each other, and when they're not.......and this can make or break the atmosphere of the show. I guess sometimes one of them might be feeling a bit 'under the weather' or tired from the travelling etc,

However, it is amazing that they are still touring after all these years and I for one am glad about that. They're an awesome band to see live, and I'm sure none of us wants to think about it ending(although at sometime it will have to).

Prettymaid
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol

Ouch! That hurts! Lol!

I agree that the Eagles do make subtle changes to their arrangements and I appreciate that. I think the fact that they make their live shows sound just like the recordings though, is a good thing.

Henley Honey
01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I just went back and reread this thread. You know it's funny that one of the biggest complaints we always hear about the band's live performances is that they play songs note for note and don't improvise enough. I sure think that's a legitimate beef. However, I've always maintained that you can't argue with success. Going into their 40th year, this band is still selling tickets unequaled by very few other acts. Almost any casual fan that I've ever heard comment says that their show is one of the best concerts they have ever been too. So, I guess they must've gotten something right and figure there's no need to change the formula for success at this point. Just sayin' ... :thumbsup:

I totally agree, Dreamer. I love the fact that they consistently deliver a perfect note-for-note performance. I think it would be almost impossible to maintain a beautifully blended five-part harmony if you were to change the arrangement or octave on the fly.

Freypower
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
But why do you want it to be note for note perfect? You know what the records sound like so why do you want them to sound exactly the same? Yes, it's difficult to be so note perfect all the time & their standards are very high, but why can't they relax a bit more even if there is a wrong note occasionally?

What would be wrong with the occasional bit of spontaneity?

I really am off beam here, it seems. :hmm: Although I agree with EK (see previous page). Little differences, no matter how subtle, remind you you're at a live performance.

timfan
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Well at least at the solo shows they seem to relax a bit and rearrange some songs... I LOVED Timothy`s Acoustic version of LWKUA from the Agoura Hills show!

Freypower
01-03-2012, 09:51 PM
And I love the slowed down or what I call 'swamp' version of Smuggler's Blues which I finally got to see, although I am aware that others prefer the original 'rocky' version.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
But why do you want it to be note for note perfect? You know what the records sound like so why do you want them to sound exactly the same? Yes, it's difficult to be so note perfect all the time & their standards are very high, but why can't they relax a bit more even if there is a wrong note occasionally?

What would be wrong with the occasional bit of spontaneity?

I really am off beam here, it seems. :hmm: Although I agree with EK (see previous page). Little differences, no matter how subtle, remind you you're at a live performance.

For me, I love to sing along and judging from what I've heard at Eagles concerts, a lot of people do. There's nothing more annoying than singing along, dancing along to a song and all the sudden it's different. I have to say, Seger's concert was pretty much spot-on to the originals and so the entire arena was singing along to every song.

I don't go to a lot of concerts because live performances are usually like fingernails on chalkboards for me. Vocals that are flat or off, or done differently and not as well. The artist has to have a reputation for sounding like the original or I won't buy a ticket. They cost way too much if you don't know what you're getting. Of course, that's just my opinion. :-)

Freypower
01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
There is not much 'dancing' to the Eagles because people have to stay in their seats.

As for singing, I could count on one hand the number of times people have done that in Sydney (the chorus of Take It To The Limit is one occasion). Perhaps it is different in the United States. In December 2010 Don tried to get the Sydney audience to sing along with BOML and they just wouldn't.

There are two extremes here. One is the Eagles where everything is done too perfectly and the other is Bob Dylan where you can be halfway through the song before you know what it is. While I obviously wish to recognise the song, if it sounds slightly different from the recorded version I am all for it.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-03-2012, 11:02 PM
There is not much 'dancing' to the Eagles because people have to stay in their seats.

As for singing, I could count on one hand the number of times people have done that in Sydney (the chorus of Take It To The Limit is one occasion). Perhaps it is different in the United States. In December 2010 Don tried to get the Sydney audience to sing along with BOML and they just wouldn't.

There are two extremes here. One is the Eagles where everything is done too perfectly and the other is Bob Dylan where you can be halfway through the song before you know what it is. While I obviously wish to recognise the song, if it sounds slightly different from the recorded version I am all for it.

Really? I wonder if it's a difference in venue rules, or culture? I can honestly say that while I've only been to two Eagles concerts, at both I stood and danced more than half the time. (In DC, even my 70 year old mother danced half the time!). I didn't hear it as much at the Vegas concert, but the DC concert in 08, I could hear the audience on every song. The reporter who wrote the review for the Washington Post elected to not hear them sing with How Long, but did mention that with the exception of the LROOE songs, the audience sang along to every single song in their entirety. (At the recent Seger concert, I never sat down).

I can handle 'slightly', though I guess that's open to interpretation, but off-key and majorly different are not acceptable.

Mrs Frey
01-04-2012, 03:39 AM
VA, you've raised a very good point regarding live performances in general. To me, the mark of a great musician/singer is when their vocals are as spot-on "live" as much as the recording is. I've heard some top musicians performing "live" on television, and their interpretations of their records are nowhere near as good as the originals. It is always disappointing for me.

The Eagles are so brilliant live: their vocals are magnificent. I noticed at the concert I attended that Don's voice sounded a bit strained when he started, but even then, not once did his pitch falter. As his voice warmed up, his singing just got better and better. A true professional.

As for dancing at Eagles concerts, the crowd was somewhat stiff at the O2 Arena, and when I attempted to dance, quite well into the performance mind you, I was asked by the elderly gentleman behind me to sit down, and later he explained that his wife cannot stand for long. :roll: Afterwards, though, I got up anyway, because I couldn't stand it anymore, and a lot of people in the front rows followed suit, so I was in the clear. :D

People need to loosen up. From what I saw on "Farewell 1", the Melbourne people certainly know how to shake it up!

TimothyBFan
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
We are hoping that their 40th anniversary DVD will include performances by artists who influenced them. One of these should be Glenn singing Buffalo Springfield's On The Way Home.

I haven't been on a whole lot the last couple of weeks so maybe I missed it somewhere, so please be patient with me.

Was it discussed somewhere here that the dvd (if indeed there is one) that fans would want covers of other's songs? If so, I must admit, I really wouldn't care that much for that. Personally, I want to see a 40th anniversary dvd of Eagles music and preferably, like it was mentioned the last couple of pages, of LROOE stuff which we have not previously had on other dvds. Granted, I will listen to whatever they are singing but I don't see there being much other than the usual Eagles stuff on a new dvd. I do think there might be talk of what brought them to where they are now and the artists that influenced them, but I doubt there would be actual performances. This is just my opinion tho.

Freypower
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
When Glenn performed On The Way Home he specifically stated that the Eagles had 'recorded' it. He said that part of the DVD would be to show the Eagles paying tribute to bands that influenced them, such as Buffalo Springfield, the Byrds & The Beach Boys. Presumably if the song he chose is On The Way Home, the other three will get to sing one each. My belief is that if this happens the songs will be filmed in a studio setting and be 'bonus' components of the DVD.

Further information on what Glenn said can be found in the Niagara Falls review threads but herre is what Soda wrote in the August 24 review. She did stress at the time that this was what MIGHT happen.

“Next year will mark the 40th anniversary of the first year of the Eagles getting a record out.” He paused. “It turned out pretty good for me, actually,” he smiled. “So we’re trying to figure out what to do for the 40th anniversary of the Eagles besides just…” at this point someone yelled “TOUR!” And he said, “Yes, tour! You must know the other guys in the band.” We all laughed. “Anyway, we’re working on a DVD – The History of the Eagles – which we will hopefully put out next year. It will clear up a lot of misconceptions and lies that have been spread all around about us over the years… about feuds… all that kind of stuff. So actually, it has a lot of interviews, biography type stuff, should be an interesting project. So I said to the guys in band, ‘Well, maybe we should record some songs that were done by the guys that came before us, the bands that we really admire… the Byrds, the Beach Boys…' so we started talking about it and I’m not sure we’re gonna do it, but I hope we do.”

So that’s the Eagles news! However, in the context of the show, all of that was the preface to his introduction of the next song. He continued that the band was still discussing it, but “in the meantime, I said, ‘Well, heck, let’s at least see what a couple of these things sound like.' So, we recorded a song just about a week ago and we’re gonna do it for you now. The song is written by Neil Young. Neil Young is one of my favorite Canadians, along with Martin Short, Leonard Cohen,” he paused. “Those are the only people I can think of right now. But… anyway… we decided to record it. The story goes that Neil Young wrote it, they recorded it, and then he quit the band – Buffalo Springfield was only together for about a year and a half – so Richie Furay had to sing the song ‘cause Neil wasn’t around. So we’re going to do it for you now. This is called ‘On the Way Home.’” Now, the first night was the first time I had ever heard this song, so I was like “Hmm, what’s this?” at that point. I was so surprised that I didn’t really have a chance to listen carefully, although I enjoyed it! Well, this second night, I did listen carefully and I liked it even more!

You will note that I also said 'we are hoping' and 'should include On The Way Home' because it is not definite, but Glenn's performance of the song was absolutely stunning.

Scarlet Sun
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
For the record, the anecdote regarding Neil Young and the Buffalo Springfield recording of On The Way Home is incorrect. Neil is on the recording, playing guitar and singing backups

Freypower
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
For the record, the anecdote regarding Neil Young and the Buffalo Springfield recording of On The Way Home is incorrect. Neil is on the recording, playing guitar and singing backups

What Glenn said was 'they recorded it, then Neil quit the band'. The part about 'Richie Furay had to sing it because Neil wasn't around' seems to contradict this, I agree. But from what I can see, Neil's only lead vocal on that album was I Am A Child. So perhaps what Glenn meant was that even though Neil was still in the band, for some reason he didn't even want to sing lead on his own song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Time_Around

Prettymaid
01-04-2012, 11:58 PM
For some reason I misunderstood Soda's review of Glenn's comments and thought he was talking about a separate cd of covers in addition to the anniversary dvd. I have to agree with TBF, to include this in the actual dvd doesn't sound good to me.

EaglesKiwi
01-05-2012, 04:45 AM
For some reason I misunderstood Soda's review of Glenn's comments and thought he was talking about a separate cd of covers in addition to the anniversary dvd. I have to agree with TBF, to include this in the actual dvd doesn't sound good to me.
I think it could work in the right quantity & the right context. For example, if they were talking about their early careers and influences, they could do snippets of songs, and then include the full versions as bonus material.

I always loved the mental image from Felder's book where he talked about rehearsing Seven Bridges Road in "the shower of the dressing room.". (Ok, when he talked about them practising 7BR it was in the LOCKER room, but when he said they'd stopped doing it he talked about the SHOWER). Now if they wanted to show something like that with a cover song... :heybaby: Tastefully of course!!

TimothyBFan
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one. I remember that in the review but didn't imagine it on the dvd. Now a whole seperate cd of covers I'd be all over!!

Topkat
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I personally wish they would mix it up a little, with some more extended guitar solos. I had seen them in the 70's & those shows were less like the recordings with some more guitar work done by Don Felder & Joe. I think especially now that Felder is no longer in the band, this won't be happening. I don't think they will give Stu the guitar solos that Felder did. The songs are done, as the recordings with no impromptu guitar work. To me it makes the show more predictable, but it is still enjoyable. I do believe I read somewhere that it is Henley who prefers it done this way.

I'm just hoping that the new tour will include some songs that haven't been played live in a long time. That would help bring something new to the shows. I also wish they would end the show with something other than the ALWAYS PREDICTABLE DESPERADO....Please!!!

jdubfan
01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd go for anything new at this point in the guys' career, it's all good. Just never know when it'll be the last new products. It's great to hear them speak about this coming year and how exciting the changes will be.
And considering live performances, that's really my only major beef about the Eagles. Not using the incredible amount of talent they have up on that stage to expand songs and their interperations, not even attempting to see what other possibilites are out there seems a crime. What if it's even better than the original? So much lost potential. To me, the perfect blend of "recreating" the album, which I'll hear a million times, and "creating art" at a live performance is possible. Leave the fundementals of the chorus and verses intact, but expand the songs (like they used to do) with improvs and solos. I'm not as interested in recreations, I know they know their parts. I think small tweeks keep the performers more focused and engaged, which is very important live. I'm interested in their personal artistic interpretations, how the the venue, the crowd, the songs can affect them, what they want to say musically and how they choose to express it that night. But, I also want to recognize the song. I still think a looser, more artistic expression is possible without changing the integrity of the original song.
Bob Seger has addressed this, he said he doesn't change up because sometimes the crowd can drown him out, so he doesn't do that. But I get the hint after singing these songs for 30+ years, he'd like a change. John Mellencamp, to me, does a pretty good job at changing up songs. Changing tempo, going "unplugged" on a rocker, even changing the melody. I've heard the original many times, so I enjoy hearing it a new way, but I know not everyone does. I saw ZZ Top a couple years ago, once one of my favorite live performers, phone it in from so far away, I'll never waste my time and money to see them again. I'd hate to see the guy's become a tributes act, bored with us, the music and themselves.
As i said, at least they're all still out there doing it up, so it's all good.

01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I always loved the mental image from Felder's book where he talked about rehearsing Seven Bridges Road in "the shower of the dressing room.". (Ok, when he talked about them practising 7BR it was in the LOCKER room, but when he said they'd stopped doing it he talked about the SHOWER). Now if they wanted to show something like that with a cover song... :heybaby: Tastefully of course!!

Okay EK - You got my attention with this! Heck, if they wanna throw in a scene like that, they can sing The Alphabet Song for all I care. :twisted:

Seriously though, it is very interesting reading everyone ideas and thought in this thread. :thumbsup:

Freypower
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM

To do an entire CD of covers they would have to return to the studio & record it. This would be on top of Glenn's solo CD of covers.

If they were to just film themselves performing a couple of songs by the artists who influenced them it wouldn't take much time. I did not get the impression that a CD of covers was being considered at all, even though Glennn said 'we recorded it'.

I don't understand why you would not want to see it in the DVD. They would be performing DIFFERENT SONGS. I envisaged them doing it the way they did the How Long video. I can only say and I am sure I speak on behalf of the people who were at Niagara Falls, I would like to have a visual record of Glenn singing On The Way Home.

Freypower
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I personally wish they would mix it up a little, with some more extended guitar solos. I had seen them in the 70's & those shows were less like the recordings with some more guitar work done by Don Felder & Joe. I think especially now that Felder is no longer in the band, this won't be happening. I don't think they will give Stu the guitar solos that Felder did. The songs are done, as the recordings with no impromptu guitar work. To me it makes the show more predictable, but it is still enjoyable. I do believe I read somewhere that it is Henley who prefers it done this way.

I'm just hoping that the new tour will include some songs that haven't been played live in a long time. That would help bring something new to the shows. I also wish they would end the show with something other than the ALWAYS PREDICTABLE DESPERADO....Please!!!

The show closer should be Take It Easy. But then, in my opinion, it always should have been. :|

This year is the 40th anniversary of the song as well as the band's career. Surely it deserves to be treated as such.

Topkat
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't mind "Take It Easy" as the final song.
Every time I hear the first note of Desperado, I know I'm gonna be leaving soon, & I don't like that...
Take It Easy, is as good an ending as anything I can think of. Their first hit!

EaglesFanatic
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't mind "Take It Easy" as the final song.
Every time I hear the first note of Desperado, I know I'm gonna be leaving soon, & I don't like that...
Take It Easy, is as good an ending as anything I can think of. Their first hit!

Yep, me too! I've always thought Desperado was an odd choice for the final song for some reason (though that was one of the most memorable moments when I saw them live). Take It Easy would be a perfect wrap-up to a show... Either that, or Hotel California.

EaglesKiwi
01-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Take It Easy seems like such a nice message to say goodbye with... :-)

sodascouts
01-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd like TIE as the closer, too.

With regard to the "same as recording" or "different interpretation" debate, I think the best place is the middle ground. Perform the song pretty much the same, with little twists or expansions. An example is the arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling for HFO (which, criminally, was left off of the DVD). IMHO, it is far better than an exact duplicate of the song as it was recorded.

When I go to hear Fleetwood Mac, I know that both Rhiannon and I'm So Afraid are going to blow their recorded counterparts out of the water. The songs aren't changed up fundamentally, but Stevie adds an entire end segment of extras to Rhiannon and Lindsey extends the guitar solos to monster-level. I can barely stand to listen to the originals anymore.

It has to be done right, though. They can't go too far. Don Henley did a magnificent slowed-down arrangement of End of the Innocence live which was very powerful, yet his "mambo" version of Hotel California and his "rap" version of LITFL both sucked hard-core. I think it's a matter of degree. By slowing down End of the Innocence and doing the beginning acapella, his voice rich with emotion, he really made the audience think about the words. By breaking out the mambo band for HC or doing LITFL as a rap, all he did was make the audience cringe.

Glenn's new arrangement of Smuggler's Blues is one that doesn't work, IMHO. I get that he's emphasizing the "blues" angle but this is a song that is supposed to rock hard and I miss the fire he used to display when he played that song. I assume the new version is easier to sing, but this is one of my favorite Glenn solo songs, and hearing it played with its fire doused is the only disappointment I experience at his solo shows - well, except for when he pulls out the Plaintiff joke, a pet peeve of mine, but he seems to have finally retired that!

So, to sum up, I say do small changes or expand the songs to make it more interesting, but don't change them radically.

EaglesKiwi
01-07-2012, 07:08 AM
It has to be done right, though. They can't go too far. Don Henley did a magnificent slowed-down arrangement of End of the Innocence live which was very powerful, yet his "mambo" version of Hotel California and his "rap" version of LITFL both sucked hard-core. I think it's a matter of degree. By slowing down End of the Innocence and doing the beginning acapella, his voice rich with emotion, he really made the audience think about the words. By breaking out the mambo band for HC or doing LITFL as a rap, all he did was make the audience cringe.
If by "mambo version of HC" you mean the one on Inside Job Live (from 2005 in Dallas?), I have to say I quite liked it. And, given that it was a solo show rather than an Eagles performance, it was an appropriate time to try playing around with it. I wouldn't choose it over the orignal recording or HFO version to just listen to, but I did enjoy it as part of his solo concert.

Topkat
01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't want to see any drastic changes to the songs, just a little bit of an extended version, with some more guitar work thrown in there. It makes a live show less predictable & gives a little extra something to the songs.

I also hate when the audience sings along. This drives me nuts. I am paying big bucks to hear the Eagles sing, & I don't want to hear somebody singing next to me, who can't sing. This happens at a lot of other concerts & I try to tune people out, but it is so annoying. If the band changes up the song a little, maybe the dreaded singing will stop.

sodascouts
01-07-2012, 02:25 PM
If by "mambo version of HC" you mean the one on Inside Job Live (from 2005 in Dallas?), I have to say I quite liked it. And, given that it was a solo show rather than an Eagles performance, it was an appropriate time to try playing around with it. I wouldn't choose it over the orignal recording or HFO version to just listen to, but I did enjoy it as part of his solo concert.

Well, Don must've liked it, too, so you're in good company. ;)

ETA: Astonishingly, I found it on YouTube. Folks can watch it and judge for themselves - but hurry, it'll probably get taken down soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rv_KC-vIk

Oh my, I had forgotten about Henley's monkey noises around 0:49, lol.

Prettymaid
01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
When I go to hear Fleetwood Mac, I know that both Rhiannon and I'm So Afraid are going to blow their recorded counterparts out of the water. The songs aren't changed up fundamentally, but Stevie adds an entire end segment of extras to Rhiannon and Lindsey extends the guitar solos to monster-level. I can barely stand to listen to the originals anymore.

I know this is a debate for another thread, but since you brought it up here I just have to quickly disagree with your assessment of Rhiannon. Although I enjoy the extended version of Rhiannon, the original recorded version will always be my favorite. Every time I hear Stevie skip the high notes starting at "all your life" now I'm reminded that she just can't reach them anymore, and that bums me out because I liked it done with the high notes. And this is not the only song she has to change the melody to because She can't hit the notes anymore. I'm afraid I have to say that some of her songs lack the melody I enjoy because she lacks the range needed to sing them the way they were originally recorded.

Getting back on track, I agree with Soda that this youtube version of HC sucks.

Henley Honey
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM

I like it too, EK. I think it goes back to what Glenn said at his NYU lecture. He and Don really liked the mexican/raggae sound on HC. They believe that multiple influences make a song more interesting.
The Inside Job version is a perfect example. I can see where it would not be for everyone, but it works for me!

EaglesKiwi
01-08-2012, 05:10 AM
I like it too, EK. I think it goes back to what Glenn said at his NYU lecture. He and Don really liked the mexican/raggae sound on HC. They believe that multiple influences make a song more interesting.
The Inside Job version is a perfect example. I can see where it would not be for everyone, but it works for me!
I also have to say that it's not for every occasion. This was a solo concert - it would be way too extreme for an Eagles concert I think - and it's not really meant to be watched/played in isolation. :smile: But yeah, it's kind of cool to see some of the influences played up more. Which brings us back to - we can listen to the original recordings of a song any time, live performances are a chance to break away occasionally...

Topkat
01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't like that version of Hotel California.... The song is perfect as is, Don't mess with perfection...
Oh, and who thought of the dancing trombones???

UK TimFan
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I also hate when the audience sings along. This drives me nuts. I am paying big bucks to hear the Eagles sing, & I don't want to hear somebody singing next to me, who can't sing. This happens at a lot of other concerts & I try to tune people out, but it is so annoying. If the band changes up the song a little, maybe the dreaded singing will stop.
Even worse is when they talk, totally ignoring the performance. You hear it all the time on You Tube clips. I'm afraid that I would probably miss most of an Eagles concert because I'd be ejected after doing violence to anyone who sat near to me and talked.
Ditto for those idiots who whoop and holler. Just SHUT UP.

Glennhoney
01-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh God there's nothing worst than sitting next to somebody who sings along...I was at a Gordon Lightfood concert years ago, and the lady next to me sang along with every song, very loudly...like I paid the hear HER sing..

Glennhoney
01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
..and another thing....since I'm only 5 feet tall...people standing all night in front of me just drives me up the wall...I always try to get an aisle seat so I can stand up as well....but it doesn't always work...

Tori
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I do tend to sing along at concerts, but I do it quietly so I don't make people mad. People talking during concerts, though - I absolutely hate that.

Freypower
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
My husband hates it even more than I do which is why he seldom goes to concerts now. We had bad experiences at Peter Gabriel, Mark Knopfler and Zappa Plays Zappa where people did nothing but talk.

Weirdly, in the Royal Oak version of After Hours when Glenn sings the line 'everybody's laughing' someone in the audience laughs. Coincidence but it jars.

01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, I gotta say that I'm guilty of the crime of singing at concerts, and most of the time others around me are singing too. I do try to keep my voice low though because I know others didn't come to hear me sing. It annoys me if others are persistently talking as well. However, I have been to enough concerts to mostly just roll my eyes at most of the behavior and try to ignore it.

I do remember one time at one of Glenn's solo shows where we were allowed to go up to the stage, and there was this guy behind me that was literally leaning on my back. I turned around to him and said something like "Dude, you really need to get off of my back". But I'm the kind that would rather tolerate some of the bad behavior than stay home. I love going to live shows too much to have a few annoying people ruin it for me.

WalshFan88
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of that version of Hotel California either, but I also don't like the HFO version. The original version/rendition is the only way to fly for me. I want the doubleneck guitar and electric guitars and the twin solos. That's the best. It's a masterpiece that shouldn't be touched. Some songs are ok to change up but HC is not one of them IMO. It should always be played like the original. I think it is perfect the way it was composed.

I actually like the fact the Eagles are all about playing exactly like the record with no or not much improvisation. I like routine and consistency and having everything be the same and consistent. That's why when I played in the Eagles tribute I made sure we did everything exact like the record. David Crosby once said something to the effect of that it was boring and made a yawning expression. It really rubbed me wrong. I like the fact they don't change it up and I like everything to stay the same. I'm not a big fan of change and I admire their perfectionism and how rehearsed they are. I like to be a human jukebox as a guitarist and play it exact, as that's the way it should be done IMO. Whenever I post that on guitar forums most of everyone comments on how that is so anti-creative and anti-musician but it takes just as much effort IMO to authentically recreate music and play it note for note and copy the guitar tone even on a song as it does to improvise something. It takes a lot of rehearsal to get as tight and "perfect" as the Eagles are and it's something I really admire and want in a performance. I'm anti-improvisation which is unusual for a guitarist and I catch a lot of flak for it on the guitar forums but I always stick to my guns and I've had a couple members tell me they admire that and love what I do and my philosophy. That said, I suppose I can understand why some wouldn't like that rehearsed perfection. But for me not liking change and liking perfection, it's the best thing in the world.

sodascouts
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Here's the kind of change I like in a live show - it stays fairly true to the original, but gives us a cool twist as well. It's the 1994 arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling that I mentioned earlier.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/PeacefulEasyFeelingHFOOuttake94.mp3

timfan
01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I LOVE that version of PEF! I soo wish they had included it in the HFO video release...here's hoping it'll make it onto the upcoming anniversary DVD :yay:

Topkat
01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Last night on VH1 Classic there was a Stones concert from 2006, called Shine A Light. If any of you get a chance to see this,....watch it. To me this was the perfect example of how the Stones took their songs from the 60's & expanded them & made them more interesting. Old songs like Brown Sugar & Satisfaction were extended with some great guitar work by Ron Wood & Keith Richards, while Mick did his moves & danced like a wild man. Mick sang "Don't You Wanna Live with Me" with guest Christina Aguilera. The songs sounded the same, but had a lot more flavor by the added guitar work, & people were dancing in the audience, but mostly not singing, because the songs were improvised enough that they couldn't follow it word for word. Other guests were Buddy Guy & Jack White.

I would love the Eagles to expand their songs like that & they certainly have the talent to do so. Would love to have Joe Walsh throw some riffs in to change it up a little. Just my opinion. I want a live show to sound a little different than the recorded version.

I also loved that version of PEF, made it a little different & interesting, but still basicly the same

01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Soda, I love that version of PEF too. I also love the HFO version of Take It Easy with the extended guitar solo. But, again, I like it because it stays true to the song. I like the HFO acoustic version of Hotel Calfornia okay, but not as well as PEF and TIE. Part of the reason I don't like it as well is because the beginning is unrecognizable. I remember how the audience listens to the opening chords for a minute or two, and then, how they suddenly erupt in applause at the first recognizable chords.

WalshFan88
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I also love the HFO TIE with extended solo. Because it was just more soloing and not changing it much. The PEF version was good too but it's about as far from the original as I can like. Any further and I probably wouldn't have liked it as well. Some songs are ok to do a little changing, some songs it's sacrilegious in my opinion to do so. HC is one of those songs of the latter type.

Freypower
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Soda, I love that version of PEF too. I also love the HFO version of Take It Easy with the extended guitar solo. But, again, I like it because it stays true to the song. I like the HFO acoustic version of Hotel Calfornia okay, but not as well as PEF and TIE. Part of the reason I don't like it as well is because the beginning is unrecognizable. I remember how the audience listens to the opening chords for a minute or two, and then, how they suddenly erupt in applause at the first recognizable chords.

Well, 'unrecognisable' yes, I suppose so; but that beautiful Spanish guitar feel gives it a new dimension and gives some meaning to the history of the state as told in the song, in my opinion. I think it's great. :hmm:

Oh well. I can only speak for myself. When I saw Glenn last August the most exhilarating part of it was that he was doing something new. The uncertainty, wondering what he would do next, was just fantastic.

Also I would have thought that at least for most musicians, the opportunity to play live and breathe fresh air into their old songs is something they and their fans would welcome, but it appears the vast majority of Eagles fans don't want that.

EaglesKiwi
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
For me that was one of the highlights of the whole video - the suspense, and then elation of the audience. :-)

Prettymaid
01-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I agree EK. I like it when bands do an unrecognizable intro to a well known song, and I'm sure they do it just for that reason - the element of surprise. Isn't there a guitar intro to Heartache Tonight on F1?

Scarlet Sun
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Here's the kind of change I like in a live show - it stays fairly true to the original, but gives us a cool twist as well. It's the 1994 arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling that I mentioned earlier.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/PeacefulEasyFeelingHFOOuttake94.mp3
that's very nice
:grooving:

Freypower
01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree EK. I like it when bands do an unrecognizable intro to a well known song, and I'm sure they do it just for that reason - the element of surprise. Isn't there a guitar intro to Heartache Tonight on F1?

That bluesy guitar intro to HT on the F1 DVD is the way the song has been played ever since & I think it gives the song a new dimension.

01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
It's true the intros to Hotel California and Heartache Tonight (and Funk #49) that the band uses in the live shows are all unrecognizable to the general public. The difference is that after the intros, the live version of these songs are pretty true to the originals, so I actually like those intros. In the case of the other renditions of Hotel California that were being discussed here though, the arrangements are pretty different from the original.

Mrs Frey
01-12-2012, 09:58 AM

I'm completely in agreement with you here, Soda - and this version of PEF is magnificent! Glenn :heart: sings like an angel, and the harmonies are stunning! I can imagine that when the song was first written, that Glenn :heart: would have played it like that, finger-picking on the acoustic guitar. Wow, just listening to this really gave me a much-needed lift!

Mrs Frey
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Well, Don must've liked it, too, so you're in good company. ;)

ETA: Astonishingly, I found it on YouTube. Folks can watch it and judge for themselves - but hurry, it'll probably get taken down soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rv_KC-vIk

Oh my, I had forgotten about Henley's monkey noises around 0:49, lol.

Hmmmmm... Don's vocal is great, as usual, but I'm not sure about the arrangement and instrumentation. This is a guitar song. As much as I admire the brass section for attempting the solo note-for-note, and they did well, it just didn't sound right. I also missed the harmony parts on the original record. The lead vocal in the chorus sounded lonely without it.

For the record, I love the acoustic HFO treatment of the song, including the spanish guitar intro. For me, it's like the original, only acoustic. And perhaps even more difficult to play acoustically than on electric guitars. It was a fantastic effort.

sodascouts
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
At one point, Hell Freezes Over was going to be an "Eagles Unplugged" type thing for MTV. They must have dreamed up that version of Hotel California then. I think it's interesting and pleasant, but not match for the original.

EaglesKiwi
01-14-2012, 05:43 AM
At one point, Hell Freezes Over was going to be an "Eagles Unplugged" type thing for MTV. They must have dreamed up that version of Hotel California then. I think it's interesting and pleasant, but not match for the original.
I like the HFO version of HC at least as much as the original. Yes, the original is utterly amazing etc etc - but the acoustic version is something very very special in its own right.

Added to that, this is where my passion for the Eagles started, and to know that at one point Joe commented that it was both his favourite and most challenging song to play makes it even better. JMHO.

StephUK
01-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Firstly, I like the Don's Inside Job version of Hotel California, for a change but still prefer the original version.

Secondly, I'm guilty of singing at concerts - I can't help but join in - but not too loudly; I'm kinda singing to myself really.
I do hate it when people shout out too loudly in the quite bits of a show. I hated it BIG TIME :enraged:when some guy shouted during Will's intro to 'It don't matter to the sun' at Don's concert in Chicago 2009....if he'd been near to me I'd have wacked him with my handbag which would probably have stunned him into silence. It was the first time I'd heard it so I didn't want to miss it. There's always some jerk who wants to draw attention to themself.

Eagles 'unplugged'? Yes I think I'd enjoy that, for a change.

Brooke
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
For what it's worth, I do not like Don's version of HC. At all.

I do love the original best, but think the HFO version is beautiful.

I also sing some, very quietly, at concerts. I really want to hear the band do it. I hate it when people yell out stuff during quiet times and prefer to hear the band as best as I can without the crowd. But sometimes the band wants the crowd to sing and that's ok as long as they don't do it too much. I paid to hear the band, not the crowd.

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
If the crowd's all singing at once, it can be cool. If it's some really loud person shouting over the singer on the other hand... NO. Even worse is the loud talking. I remember one woman trying to talk to me during a Stevie Nicks concert during a beautiful song that I had never heard Stevie perform before. Obnoxious woman, loudly to me: "I DON'T KNOW THIS SONG! WHAT IS THIS SONG?" I didn't look at her, so she asked the question even more loudly. I said quietly, "The song is called 'Love Is'." "LOVE IS WHAT?!" The obnoxious woman hollered. Then, "I DON'T KNOW IT AND I DON'T LIKE IT!" At that point I actually turned and said, "Be quiet. I'm trying to hear the song." Thankfully, she did.

I figure people who shout out stuff during quiet times are just attention whores hoping to get the performer to acknowledge them. Sometimes it can be funny, but most of the time it's obnoxious, too. It's one thing if the performer, like Jackson Browne, encourages shout-outs. It's another thing when there's an emotional or quiet moment and someone takes the opportunity to holler "I LOVE YOU JOE!" Worst of all are the hecklers, like the guy that shouted "PLAY SOMETHING WE KNOW" at Don when he was trying to do some less-well-known covers at a concert. Screw you, douchebag! That's when you wanna go :steviesmack:!

As for me, I will just mouth the words - because I gotta save those vocal chords for screaming in between the songs. ;)

Freypower
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
One bemused man at Niagara Falls shouted 'rock & roll' after Glenn finished singing the cover songs, but someone else (?) also shouted 'sing it baby' at him which was nice, although 'sing it' would have been enough.

That was a funny story about Love Is, Soda, because I didn't know the song either when I saw Stevie sing it!!

Topkat
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Once at an Elton John concert, some IDIOT in my section kept screaming PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM, like every 2 minutes really loud. This guy did not STFU for like an hour. Finally, Elton played the song, (which I guess was planned at that time) I mean, he was not gonna shut his face until Elton John sang that song....I was relieved when he finally did, just to shut this jerk up.
I was so pissed that night, I swear, it really was ruining the show for a lot of people....So rude & inconsiderate! Why do people have to act like this at a concert?? He deserved a good:steviesmack:

Henley Honey
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
at shouted "PLAY SOMETHING WE KNOW" at Don when he was trying to do some less-well-known covers at a concert. Screw you, douchebag! That's when you wanna go :steviesmack:!

I was at that show. When the "helpful" audience member shouted out, he got a loud round of booing from the crowd. Then Don got him good. His reply -- just before he sang a more well-known song was: "This one's for you Di#k Head". The crowd LOVED it. It's just such a shame that these drunken idiots think that anyone actually cares what they think. Is it liquid courage that causes them to interrupt a show? They should stop drinking. It's not pretty. JMHO.

Tori
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
It's another thing when there's an emotional or quiet moment and someone takes the opportunity to holler "I LOVE YOU JOE!"
Yeah, I don't like that either. I, of course, am guilty of yelling "I LOVE YOU" at an Eagle (Don ;)), but it was during band intros while everyone was applauding wildly. I would never do it in a quiet moment... people would think I'm crazy.
And don't get me started on drunk people at concerts... one of the only things I remember about my first Eagles concert were the clearly intoxicated people in front of us loudly commenting on why a seven-year-old was at an Eagles concert. Pretty annoying.

EaglesKiwi
01-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I don't like that either. I, of course, am guilty of yelling "I LOVE YOU" at an Eagle (Don ;)), but it was during band intros while everyone was applauding wildly. I would never do it in a quiet moment... people would think I'm crazy.
And don't get me started on drunk people at concerts... one of the only things I remember about my first Eagles concert were the clearly intoxicated people in front of us loudly commenting on why a seven-year-old was at an Eagles concert. Pretty annoying.
Good for you!

The seven year old was at the concert to hear the music. I wonder why the drunken idiots were there...:shrug:

sodascouts
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, maybe they figured a seven-year-old shouldn't be subjected to people like them, lol! I remember being at an outdoor concert one time and this guy not too far from me was smoking a joint right next to a kid who couldn't have been over ten. I thought, "You could at least step away from the kid when you light up!" Sure hope the kid wasn't his.

01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, maybe they figured a seven-year-old shouldn't be subjected to people like them, lol! I remember being at an outdoor concert one time and this guy not too far from me was smoking a joint right next to a kid who couldn't have been over ten. I thought, "You could at least step away from the kid when you light up!" Sure hope the kid wasn't his.

I had to laugh at that Soda cause I was thinking exactly the opposite. I was thinking, sure hope it's his own kid he's doing that in front of instead of influencing someone else's kid. Either way - to me, he's a double loser! As I said earlier, I can tolerate some bad and obnoxious behavior at concerts - I guess I've just come to accept it on some level. But, I do have my limits. I guess it all boils down to the old addage 'one person's rights end where another's begins'.

GlennLover
01-19-2012, 01:47 AM
One bemused man at Niagara Falls shouted 'rock & roll' after Glenn finished singing the cover songs, but someone else (?) also shouted 'sing it baby' at him which was nice, although 'sing it' would have been enough.

That was a funny story about Love Is, Soda, because I didn't know the song either when I saw Stevie sing it!!

Glenn got the last laugh though. When he finished the covers & was going to continue with rock & roll he turned to Danny Grenier & said "Play it loud, for that guy" & everybody laughed.

I don't mind the crowd singing along on some songs as long as they don't sing loud enough that I can't here the performers.

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM

No! I would not call anything out at quiet moment either. There are times that are appropriate to do so and times that aren't as many seasoned concert goers know. Even with my (infamous!) banner I knew it just didn't feel right to put it up before the 1st encore. It was better to do it when the place had gotten more lively and Glenn:heart: had upped the tempo a bit.

I wonder how that louder guy in Niagara Falls would have coped on the Tuesday evening when the overall audience was a lot quieter?

Well done on making your first Eagles gig at age 7 Tori! My daughter was 6 for hers and my son was 5! Anyone know any younger age?

Mrs Frey
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I've missed quite a lot on this thread, and have enjoyed reading all your anecdotes from the concerts you've attended.

I must say, at the Eagles concert GA, GEF and I attended in London in 2008, the crowd was very well behaved. Some of the more "stiff upper lip" attendees probably thought GA and I were somewhat outrageous with our enthusiastic behaviour early on in the show :wink: :lol:.

In all seriousness, though, we whooped and hollered while everyone else was whooping, hollering and applauding, and yes, I sang along with every single song, although I doubt it annoyed anybody - it wasn't loud enough. GA, was it loud enough? :blush:

And yes, I shouted "we love you!" and "I love you, Glenn :heart:" as they took their final bows, although I doubt anybody heard as the O2 Arena was erupting with a standing ovation at the time. Soon after, I got my personal attention from Glenn :heart:, so I guess I behaved respectably enough, despite extreme provocation. :wink:

As for drunk people at shows... :roll: I generally can't stand drunk people, but drunk people at shows, especially my shows with my partner, are even worse. He can't stand drunk people either, and we frequently have to deal with intoxicated members of the audience who consider themselves authorities on what we are doing, and offer their opinions and suggestions. They also frequently manage to fall over while dancing and threaten to compromise our equipment. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Perhaps I'm in the general minority, but I just don't understand why people can't enjoy themselves at a show without getting drunk.:headscratch:

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Ah the memories MF! No, you weren't too loud in London! Your behaviour was impeccable! As was mine :wink:

In fairness the crowd that night were rather sedate!

HiredHand
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
As the saying goes. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I hate it when you listen to a live version of a song and you can't recognize it. I would hate for all these wonderful songs to be changed or sound different. They are great just as they are.