PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't a live version of the Hotel California album be nice.

Slider
05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Pink Floyd in concert would very often do entire albums beginning to end. I wish there would have been something similar with Hotel California.

Using Bootlegs and official stuff you can put together one with the execption of Try and Love again which unless am mistaken.

Using an Itunes Playlist I did it for fun chopping some of the extra applause and chatter from before and after each song. I left a few sec's of applause after each song.

1) Hotel California - From March 1980 boot
2) New Kid in town - From Eagles live - Chatter at end of song by joe about the next song being an industrial love song oddly fits perfectly into
3) Life in the Fast Lane - From March 1980 Boot
4) Wasted Time - From Eagles Live
5) Wasted Time Reprise - From Bad night at Long beach boot.
6) Pretty Maids all in a row - From Hell Freezes over
7) Try and love again - Had to use the album cut. Live version not avaliable.
8) The Last Resort - From Hell Freezes over.

Next I'll have to do a Eagles Greatest Hits Volume 1 live verson.

WalshFan88
05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I would love if they did a concert with the Hotel California album. It's the best Eagles album IMO and the masterpiece of their work. But I also prefer the more "rock" years of the Eagles and prefer the work with Walsh. I'm a classic rock/hard rock kinda guy and the Hotel California album is my favorite album of all time and favorite song of all time by any artist. I love that album and it means a lot to me.

whitcap
05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
There isn't a live version of the Eagles doing Try and Love Again that I know of but its on both of Randy Meisner's live CDs. I also noticed that you left out Victim of Love.

Slider
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for catching my mistake. I forgot to put in

Victim of Love (Live Millennium Concert Version) From Selected works
1972-1999.

I hadn't realized that live verson of try an love again was avaliable. I will eventually be able to compelete my live verson of Hotel California.

sodascouts
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
While they couldn't play HC straight through nowadays without Randy in the band, I like your idea about mixing-and-matching bootleg versions to get one. Too bad the Eagles never performed "Try and Love Again" live.

Nowadays the only albums they could do that for are The Long Run and Long Road Out of Eden. I'd prefer the latter!

EaglesKiwi
05-09-2011, 04:54 AM
HC live would be pretty cool, but a live version of LROOE would be STUNNING. :jawdrop::thud::drool::pray:

Okay, that was my few moments of unrealistic fantasising... I'll come back to earth now!!

(Besides, I'd still want to hear everything else AS WELL. Not that I'm greedy. :lie:).

TimothyBFan
05-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I would love The Long Run live all the way through. Then I'd get to see King Of Hollywood, Those Shoes and of course we can't forget Disco Strangler and Greeks!!!! :lol: Seriously, it would be cool!!!

ETA: Can you imagine the 60 something Eagles doing Disco Strangler & Greeks? :heybaby:

sodascouts
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
If the 60+ Eagles did "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" it would be so hilarious that I wouldn't mind it despite the fact that I think the song is lame!

Slider
05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
For what It's worth you could make an all live version of Desperado. I'm pretty sure at one time or another they have done all of the songs from that album in concert and floating around.

Freypower
05-09-2011, 11:26 PM
HC live would be pretty cool, but a live version of LROOE would be STUNNING. :jawdrop::thud::drool::pray:

Okay, that was my few moments of unrealistic fantasising... I'll come back to earth now!!

(Besides, I'd still want to hear everything else AS WELL. Not that I'm greedy. :lie:).

Yes it would, because Glenn would have to sing ALL his songs. :grooving:

Glennsallnighter
05-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Ooooh he WOULD FP, and he'd also have to play quite a few more gigs in order to do that! I still think positvely his best live performance from LROOE would be 'Somebody'. He just ROCKS that song live!

Freypower
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Ooooh he WOULD FP, and he'd also have to play quite a few more gigs in order to do that! I still think positvely his best live performance from LROOE would be 'Somebody'. He just ROCKS that song live!

All I can say to that is that I 'got lucky'. Very lucky. So what if they didn't do it on the last night. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I would prefer hearing the HC album done front to back live by the Eagles than any other album. I think going to see the Eagles and only hearing songs from LROOE or mainly LROOE wouldn't be that satisfactory for me. LROOE is good, but IMO it doesn't match their earlier works. It's not that I dislike LROOE and I really am glad they have made a new album but hearing it front to back in concert would be a snoozer for me I'm afraid. I'm just a classic junkie. Give me "Hotel California", "The Long Run", "On The Border", etc anyday. Just my .02c :)

EaglesKiwi
05-17-2011, 04:34 AM
You make a good point about missing their older stuff Austin - although I'd still love to hear LROOE... and I guess that brings us back in a circle to our "dream setlist" thread.

Or they could tour more often so we get to hear everything. :rofl:

WalshFan88
05-17-2011, 05:11 AM

:partytime:

Freypower
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
You make a good point about missing their older stuff Austin - although I'd still love to hear LROOE... and I guess that brings us back in a circle to our "dream setlist" thread.

You're assuming that they would change their setlist. They just don't do it often.

My feelings about HC being performed live are simple. I saw all the songs live in 1995 except for Try & Love Again & The Last Resort. And they did The Last Resort during the HFO show. The only way they could do it in sequence would be if Glenn were to sing TALA. And given that Glenn doesn't even want to sing NKIT, it won't happen. So while I feel for people who haven't seen some of those songs, it isn't important to me that they consider doing that. LROOE, on the other hand, would be awesome.

WalshFan88
05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
My feelings about HC being performed live are simple. I saw all the songs live in 1995 except for Try & Love Again & The Last Resort. And they did The Last Resort during the HFO show. The only way they could do it in sequence would be if Glenn were to sing TALA. And given that Glenn doesn't even want to sing NKIT, it won't happen. So while I feel for people who haven't seen some of those songs, it isn't important to me that they consider doing that. LROOE, on the other hand, would be awesome.

I guess I need to fess up. I'm just not a fan of LROOE. Hearing it in concert all the way through would be very painful for me I'm afraid. In fact, if they were to do a tour of playing the album front to back, I wouldn't go. I really do appreciate the fact they released an album, but I gotta say it doesn't rank real high on my list. In fact, I'd put Desperado above it without even blinking an eye and you know how much I looooooove that album! ;) LROOE to me just lacks what I like about the Eagles. It's hard to explain. It's just not something I like. It just seems too modernized. Not for me.

I believe Glenn may sing NKIT again at some point and I think them playing HC live front to back would be MUCH more attractive to their entire audience than LROOE live front to back. Most of them know the Eagles by their classics and that album, not the new stuff. I'd even go as far to say most people haven't heard even half of the songs on LROOE and mainly only know their stuff from the 70s. I just don't see a LOT of people going to hear LROOE live unless they were diehard LROOE fans. I'm not.

Rant over. :hilarious:

Freypower
05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I guess I need to fess up. I'm just not a fan of LROOE. Hearing it in concert all the way through would be very painful for me I'm afraid. In fact, if they were to do a tour of playing the album front to back, I wouldn't go. I really do appreciate the fact they released an album, but I gotta say it doesn't rank real high on my list. In fact, I'd put Desperado above it without even blinking an eye and you know how much I looooooove that album! ;) LROOE to me just lacks what I like about the Eagles. It's hard to explain. It's just not something I like. It just seems too modernized. Not for me.

I believe Glenn may sing NKIT again at some point and I think them playing HC live front to back would be MUCH more attractive to their entire audience than LROOE live front to back. Most of them know the Eagles by their classics and that album, not the new stuff. I'd even go as far to say most people haven't heard even half of the songs on LROOE and mainly only know their stuff from the 70s. I just don't see a LOT of people going to hear LROOE live unless they were diehard LROOE fans. I'm not.

Rant over. :hilarious:

Good luck with that.

How many copies has LROOE sold? Was it 8 million? I think it's wrong to say that 'most people' don't know it.

Perhaps I am in a minority but I have always believed that they can only avoid becoming a 'tribute to themselves' if they continue to perform more recent material. I don't want them to be a museum piece. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, I'm afraid.

WalshFan88
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Good luck with that.

How many copies has LROOE sold? Was it 8 million? I think it's wrong to say that 'most people' don't know it.

Perhaps I am in a minority but I have always believed that they can only avoid becoming a 'tribute to themselves' if they continue to perform more recent material. I don't want them to be a museum piece. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, I'm afraid.

Sure they've sold it, but really do you honestly think their fans are going to want to hear it front to back and only that and nothing else? They are known for their other songs and most people want to hear the hits. You can't deny that they are known for their older material. I guarantee you more people would want to hear HC front to back than LROOE if they had a choice.

Agree to disagree indeed. I just think LROOE lacks the chemistry that the band had in their earlier days. I don't mind them only playing the older stuff at all, in fact I'd much prefer it. When I go see them, I want to hear the hits... And the solo songs. That's why I go in the first place. If I went to an Eagles show and didn't hear "Hotel California" or "Life's Been Good" I'd go bloody ballistic. :rofl: Start a few riots, boycott, whatever. Just kidding! :hilarious:

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I love the idea of them playing "On the Border " or "Desperado" live, but they'd have to bring back back Bernie and Randy. :partytime:

I actually have a playlist on my ipod:

Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1973-76

1. "Take It Easy" (w/ "Silver Dagger" intro)- BBC '73
2. "Witchy Woman" - BBC '73
3. "Lyin' Eyes" - Houston '76
4. "Already Gone" - Don Kirschner Rock Concert '74
5. "Desperado" - Eagles Live (L.A. '76)
6. "One of These Nights" - Houston '76
7. "Tequila Sunrise" - Voorburg '73
8. "Take It to The Limit" - Eagles Live (L.A. '76)
9. "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - BBC '73
10. "Best of My Love" - Houston '76

Freypower
05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Sure they've sold it, but really do you honestly think their fans are going to want to hear it front to back and only that and nothing else? They are known for their other songs and most people want to hear the hits. You can't deny that they are known for their older material. I guarantee you more people would want to hear HC front to back than LROOE if they had a choice.

Agree to disagree indeed. I just think LROOE lacks the chemistry that the band had in their earlier days. I don't mind them only playing the older stuff at all, in fact I'd much prefer it. When I go see them, I want to hear the hits... And the solo songs. That's why I go in the first place. If I went to an Eagles show and didn't hear "Hotel California" or "Life's Been Good" I'd go bloody ballistic. :rofl: Start a few riots, boycott, whatever. Just kidding! :hilarious:

And I would go ballistic if I wasn't given something more recent than the stuff I have heard over & over & over again. :brickwall:

WalshFan88
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
And I would go ballistic if I wasn't given something more recent than the stuff I have heard over & over & over again. :brickwall:

Well since they usually play 2 or 3 nights at the same venue one night could be 'hits night' for those who want to hear the older stuff, one night could be 'new stuff night' for those who prefer their more modernized music. That way they would appeal and have something for all of their fans. So neither of us would feel left out. ;) And those who want to hear both can go both nights.

EaglesKiwi
05-18-2011, 04:30 AM

I really wish I had had the opportunity to hear ANY of their stuff over & over again (live!).

I am really hopeful that for their 40th anniversary they do another world tour - they can start with the US as long as they do Down Under too! - and revise the setlist to play some of the stuff that has been popular over the last 40 years that they're not doing at the moment: Tequila Sunrise, NKIT, Sad Cafe - as well as new stuff: WDIDWMH and Somebody... I'm dreaming BIG!! :hilarious:

I've been playing HFO and F1 over the last week, and there are several song differences between each of them, and what they're doing at the moment, so maybe... just maybe... :pray:

Freypower
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
The first time I saw them they did a setlist based around the HFO show. They won't revisit that. It is also highly unlikely they will reintroduce songs from the F1 tour that are now gone.

I realise that you are looking at this from the 40th anniversary viewpoint but I wouldn't hold my breath for any changes.

As for the 'over & over again' comment I have to say that when I went to see them last year it was primarily to hear the LROOE songs. I did see three songs I hadn't seen before in addition to those - Seven Bridges Road (some of it), Witchy Woman & Best Of My Love. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy the other songs.

Brooke
05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I can't imagine going to their show and only hearing songs from one album. I also can't imagine going and not hearing the hits. I would have to say I would prefer hearing all the regulars (and including those they have dropped like TS and AG) with a sprinkling of newer songs like Somebody and Long Road Out of Eden.

I'll just bet they are planning a huge world tour for the 40th A. :pray: