PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley in the Press - Retro Edition!

sodascouts
11-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Like I said in Tim's forum, Kate has inspired me to post some articles from an article database I have a subscription to. Here's one for Don:

Some excerpts from NME - February 23, 1985
by R. Cooke

"No, I don't have any sensational stories to tell. And I don't have anything to say about drugs."

Huh! There goes the Don Henley interview. The former Eagle looks grouchy.

"There's a whole new generation of kids out there who don't know about the Eagles. I think I've stretched out from that. It's inevitable it'll be compared with the Eagles, but that's alright. We did some good things."

This is how we cover our traces. But Henley's new record Building The Perfect Beast proves to be a lot more than another hippie burn-out. One side collects thoughtful love songs, the other ruminates on the state of his country with insight and a fair showing of blood. It almost eludes the weary West Coast bag.

"I think this bias against the West Coast is a little silly," says Henley, in a considered and pleasant Texan twang. "I'm not gonna change the place I live to get a good review someplace.

"We're all American kids from the mid-west or the south. Most of the way I view the planet at large was formulated back in Texas. As far as I'm concerned the last pure West Coast sound was the Beach Boys. I grew up listening to the Dillards – I don't consider myself mellow or laid-back. I'm quite an intense individual and a workaholic."

<snip>

"I supported Gary Hart for President and I did some work for his campaign – phone work, fund-raising. I'm a Democrat. I used to feel a dilettante but I've learned a lot in the last few years. Everybody's a dilettante, anyway – Reagan's a f--kin' dilettante. He's the master of ceremonies at someone else's dinner. Nobody knows what's going on, except maybe the CIA."

"The sad thing is that great men don't run for President any more. They don't want the job."

Mondale?

"I met him," he says without enthusiasm. "His intentions were good, but I perceived him as sort of weak. He wasn't a brilliant guy. But I'm baffled and appalled at Reagan's success. I wonder what happened to my generation, all those great liberal ideas we had. Now everything's swung back to the Right, the TV preachers with their own networks...it's pretty scary."

<snip>

"Since kids don't read much any more, most of the information they get is from television or music. I think songwriters have a responsibility because of that."

The LP's most singular example of that comes in the last lines of 'The Boys Of Summer', a damning requiem for his generation.

"I was driving down the San Diego freeway and got passed by a $21,000 Cadillac Seville, the status symbol of the Right-wing upper-middle-class American bourgeoisie – all the guys with the blue blazers with the crests and the grey pants – and there was this Grateful Dead 'Deadhead' bumper sticker on it!"

Henley shivers slightly at his own Big Chill.

A last irony: the best thing from these sessions is 'A Month of Sundays', a short story where Henley constructs mythic poetry out of the hopeless fate of a small-time farmer. It's a little masterpiece. Geffen has left it off the LP and relegated it to a single B-side.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Freypower
11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
The comments about A Month Of Sundays are totally accurate. This is just my opinion, but most of the over-produced synthesised stuff on that album is hollow and dated, whereas MOS is a real song that will last forever.

Please don't be offended, Don fans, but this is my least favourite of his albums.

sodascouts
11-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Really! I actually like it a lot! Maybe because it was my only Don album for a long time, so all of the songs on it are the most familiar to me. But Boys of Summer, Not Enough Love in the World, You Can't Make Love, You're Not Drinking Enough - love 'em.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I like BTPB a lot, too. It's probably my favorite Don solo record, although, I have to admit that I don't have Inside Job. However, I have heard most of the songs off of it, but I've never listened to the entire record at once.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

sodascouts
11-17-2006, 01:32 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Inside Job either - it's not bad, it's just not my favorite.

~

DonFan
11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for posting that interview, Nancy. I have accumulated a large number of Don interviews and I don't believe I have read that one.

I tend to agree with Julie--BTPB does have some over-synthesized songs on it. It also has several songs I love on it, however--notably BOS, Sunset Grill, You Can't Make Love, Not Enough Love in the World.

End of the Innocence is probably my favorite Don album, thanks to the title song, HOM, the beautifully haunting New York Minute, and the hard-rocking (and sexy) I Will Not Go Quietly, but I can't stand Shangri-La and Little Tin God.

I Can't Stand Still has DL, and the gorgeous love songs Lilah and Talking to the Moon, but Johnny Can't Read and Them & Us? Ugh.

And I don't understand why so many people are so critical of Inside Job. IMO, it is a perfect reflection of Don's life at that point--For My Wedding, Taking You Home, the beautiful lullaby Annabel, My Thanksgiving--with the sexy Miss Ghost and The Genie thrown in for good measure. And the environmentalist ode Goodbye to a River is special to me too.

But then, aren't all albums like that? Some songs you love, some songs you don't care for.

sodascouts
11-17-2006, 02:17 AM
It's very rare you come across an album where you like every song, that's for sure. I think the only albums I have that do that - that aren't greatest hits albums - are Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, the Eagles' Desperado, and U2's Achtung Baby. And in the case of the latter, initially, I didn't like them all - some of them had to grow on me.

~

Z
11-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Interesting that you love all the songs on Desparado, Nancy. It's my least favorite Eagles album. I agree that it is very unusual to like all the songs on one album.

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

sodascouts
11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I just love Desperado's wildness mixed with pathos, and I think all of the songs on it are strong both melodically and lyrically. Glenn's racuous vocal on Out of Control, the gorgeous harmonies on Saturday Night, the vocal layering on the Doolin' Dalton Desperado Reprise where you have Don's anguished vocal over a poignant chorus of voices... I find all of it practically epic, and that's not even mentioning the two most famous tracks, Desperado itself and Tequila Sunrise, both of which I adore.

~

Freypower
11-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I will just mention a couple of albums on which I like every song without exception before going back to Don's music as this is his forum after all. They are Hotel California, Strange Weather AND....Revolver, Band On The Run, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Moondance, Rust Never Sleeps,Sticky Fingers, Making Movies, Brothers In Arms and Led Zeppelin IV. I could list more but basically there are my top 10 favourite albums plus SW, which is starting to get perilously close to the top.

I was very harsh about BTPB. The songs I like on it are BOS and MOS (!) and I used to like Sunset Grill and ASW but I'm afraid they have dated and been overplayed. I should like Land Of The Livng but it does nothing for me at all. I can just about listen to You're Not Drinking Enough but I find those other relationship songs too negative. The title track is a good lyric but horribly over-produced. Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed is pretentious.

I am still very fond of ICSS, from which my favourite tracks are DL, Nobody's Business, Talking To The Moon and Lilah. I agree about Johnny Can't Read and Them & Us. However well-intentioned, they don't work as songs. Long Way Home is a 'sleeper', as is the title track. You get a much stronger sense of the 'real' Don here than you get on - ooh - No Fun Aloud. That has to be admitted.

EOTI - best album by far, INCLUDING Little Tin God, which is one of my favourites! But Shangri-La is beyond redemption. I don't like How Bad Do You Want It much either. The rest of it I love.

The problem with IJ is that those personal songs Dana mentioned don't work for me and as a result the whole album doesn't work for me. I know how strongly it reflects his life but I can't warm to it. The songs I like are the more detached' songs like Miss Ghost & Damn It Rose, plus Goodbye To A River. I like My Thanksgiving but as usual I think it's a bit overblown and I seem to change my mind on EIDN every time I hear it. At least I have strong reactions to his music.

glenneaglesfan
11-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for posting the interview, Nancy. I only have two of Don's albums - Inside Job and Actual Miles. Inside Job was one of the first two albums I bought last year when I was starting my born again Eagles thing, together with Hell Freezes Over. I picked IJ after reading a fulsome review on Amazon. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Don has such a great voice, but I think he was experimenting a bit too much with it, and a couple of the tracks, Working It, Inside Job, seem distinctly unmelodic. Goodbye To A River and My Thanksgiving are both fine songs and are on my Mp3 player. Everything Is Different Now, Miss Ghost and Damn It, Rose I can listen too, and They're Not Here etc is fun in it's way, with a good chorus. It's just not an album I would put in my car now. I think I would try ICSS or EOTI next. Incidentally, on Actual Miles, one of my favourites is Don's cover of Everybody Knows.

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

sodascouts
11-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I also like My Thanksgiving, Miss Ghost (so hot), and Everything Is Different Now. I just don't find it as strong an album as his others.

~

DonFan
11-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I love You Don't Know Me At All on Actual Miles. That song is quintessential Don. I read somewhere that he said this about that song: "It is another rant against the system thinly disguised as a love song."

weefieryredhead
11-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I really enjoyed that interview. I love all of Don's solo albums for the simple fact that each of them pretty much reflect the music of the time they were recorded. I have favourite songs but an album where you like every track is such a rare thing really. Inside Job probably scores best with me for the non-skip factor but that's just my opinion :)

sodascouts
11-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I heard "Everybody Knows" on the car radio today. The "without your clothes" line makes me snort every time!

~

weefieryredhead
11-24-2006, 06:02 AM
'without your clothes' genuinely makes me blush

sodascouts
12-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Just found this while surfing a Stevie Nicks site. I was surprised to read in this that he blames the holdup of the album entirely on Glenn! (I bolded that part.) But hey, I guess this is old news now!

Don Henley
Monday, 18 April 2005
By Mark S. Krzos
News-Press.com

Musician, band mates have devil of a time squelching rumors about being Satanists

Don Henley is many things — a drummer and singer for one of the most successful rock bands in history, a solo artist, environmentalist and preservationist.

The one thing Henley and his mates in The Eagles are not is Satanists. For years, the lyrics of The Eagles smash hit, "Hotel California," have been scrutinized by fans in the same way Beatles fans have pored over album covers and hidden messages about Paul McCartney's death in 1969.

Henley, who will perform as a solo act at Germain Arena on Sunday, called the speculation just the overactive imagination of fans.

According to rock 'n' roll folklore, devil worshippers bought an old church and rechristened it "The Hotel California."

Then there are the lyrics:

• "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969," which the speculation alleges is saying the spirit of Christ and the former Christian church had not been present since the Church of Satan took it over.

• "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill The Beast," a reference to Satan's immortality.

• "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave," has also been alleged to refer to hell.

There's also the album art, in which some rock fans claim to see Anton LaVey, the now-deceased leader of the Church of Satan. On the inside, it appears that LaVey is welcoming a new group of people into his church.

Henley, who just finished a slate of concerts with The Eagles, including a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden, said he's tried to quash this rumor for years and insists the song is about the greed of the music business and hedonism in 1970s Southern California. "I think this whole thing started with some right-wing evangelical group from Oklahoma," said Henley, who still finds it amusing that anyone would look for such things in a song. "We even joke about it in concerts now. 'You know, this next song was recorded during our satanic phase.' People have very active imaginations."

Henley is one to talk. His imagination remains very active. "I'm always working on new material," he said. "I'm going to try and get back in the studio soon, but it's hard because I have so many other things going on."

Henley has four solo albums to his credit, dating back to 1982's "I Can't Stand Still," which went gold thanks to the No. 3 hit "Dirty Laundry."

The multiplatinum "Building the Perfect Beast" came out two years later and established Henley as a solo star. The hits "Boys of Summer," "All She Wants to Do Is Dance," "Sunset Grill" and "Not Enough Love in the World" kept the album on the charts for more than a year.

"The End of the Innocence," released in 1989, was Henley's most successful — and most ambitious solo offering. The album, anchored by the title track and "Heart of the Matter," sold more than 6 million copies and stayed on the pop charts for three years. His long-awaited follow-up, "Inside Job" came out in 2000 and, while it reached platinum status, it failed to yield any major hits.

After a two-show stop in Florida, Henley will embark on a two-month tour with Stevie Nicks, the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and frequent Henley collaborator, in June and July.

In August, The Eagles will then head back on the road for a three-month tour. Henley said an album of new Eagles songs has been discussed.

"We may do it if we can ever get off tour," Henley said. "I'm not sure if we'll finish an album or not. It all depends on (guitarist) Glenn (Frey)." If a new album doesn't come to fruition, then that could be the end of The Eagles, Henley said.

The Eagles broke up in 1980 and spent the next 12 years fending off reunion rumors — even saying that they would reunite when "hell freezes over."

In 1994, hell must have been a chilly place because the band reunited for the Hell Freezes Over tour and has been touring on and off ever since. Spending time away from the behemoth band, which has continued to pack houses since its reunion, could be good for Henley.

"We'll have a live album coming out in a month or two that we recorded in Sydney last year," Henley said. "If we don't head back into the studio, then that could be it."

Henley owes Warner Brothers two records and already has a wealth of material. He just hasn't decided if it will be part of an Eagles package or more solo stuff.

Whatever happens with the new material, Henley isn't concerned about it not getting to fans.

Radio isn't the be-all and end-all that it once was, said Henley, referring to shrinking playlists and the lack of attention classic and modern rock stations pay to aging artists.

"It's not as frustrating as it was a few years ago," Henley said. "Radio isn't as important as it once was. People are getting their music in other ways now. Technology with satellite and Internet radio is changing the whole landscape."

Between the recording and touring, Henley, 57, remains active in a variety of environmental causes, none more important to him than the Walden Woods Project.

In 1989, Henley came across a story about two Henry David Thoreau scholars who were attempting to stop two development projects built within the birthplace of the American conservation movement.

How could this happen, Henley asked himself. He then found out only the Massachusetts pond and the woods surrounding it were protected. That left more than 2,000 acres outside the protected area ripe for development. After holding benefit concerts and raising awareness, The Walden Wood Project has protected more than 140 acres of land surrounding Walden Pond and about 65 percent of Walden Woods' 2,680 acres.

"This is our 15th year doing this and we're still raising money," Henley said. "In recent months, we purchased an old farm and another piece near the Thoreau Institute. A lot of people think this is just a New England project, but it's become a lot more than that. We now have Thoreau societies in 30 countries that are dedicated to preserving wild areas."

Now really, does that sound like a Satanist to you?

Freypower
12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I prefer to read that as saying that Glenn being the band leader has and had the final say on all decisions including whether or not an album should be released. A lot of people chose to interpret it as meaning 'Glenn was holding it up'. I think this is very unfair to Glenn.

sodascouts
12-03-2006, 02:29 AM
I like your interpretation better. However, as someone who certainly has no agenda against Glenn, I can say that the way it was phrased can easily lead one to believe that it meant he was holding it up.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/christmasbannereagles.jpg

glenneaglesfan
12-03-2006, 02:58 PM
That's an interesting article. I wonder why Glenn would be the one to stall on the new album? I suppose they must all be sensitive to the critics and are working to the highest level to make sure that when it does come out it is the best representation of their work.

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

SweetHolly
03-16-2007, 04:47 AM
I love You Don't Know Me At All on Actual Miles. That song is quintessential Don. I read somewhere that he said this about that song: "It is another rant against the system thinly disguised as a love song."
I love this song. It's one of my favorites.

Fan_For_Life
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
This is a 20yr old interview I found here http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/modern_drummer.htm

http://www.eaglesfans.com/photogallery/photo7100/modern_drummer1.jpg (http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/images/modern_drummer1.jpg) http://www.eaglesfans.com/photogallery/photo7100/modern_drummer2.jpg (http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/images/modern_drummer2.jpg) http://www.eaglesfans.com/photogallery/photo7100/modern_drummer3.gif (http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/images/modern_drummer3.gif)

sodascouts
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Very interesting article! That site has a lot of good stuff in their archive and is certainly worth visiting if anyone would like to read more, as it's not really kosher to repost entire articles. I know we do it for news sites with concert reviews and things, but in the case of other Eagles fansites, it's better to post a link with a brief synopsis of the article. /end Lesson 243 of Nancy's Nuances of Eagles Netiquette 101. ;)

I know it's hard to keep it all straight! Luckily as a message board and website veteran for over 10 years, I've got it down, and I am happy to share my expertise with those who have spent their time more productively, lol.

Thanks for bringing the article to the attention of fans who might have missed it, though, FFL! It really is fascinating reading. Can you believe 1990 was almost 20 years ago, as you said? It blows my mind!!!

Fan_For_Life
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
No I cannot believe it's been that long. Everytime I turn around another decade is gone, lol. Thanks for the heads up. Will not be so quick with the mouseclicker next time. :)

sodascouts
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Great, I appreciate it! Oh, have to add, love the avatar you've chosen, FFL. He is so adorable there!

DonFan
05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Don and Lois Chiles were an item back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, and my Google Alert on Don popped up this mention about them from an old People magazine. (Now I know why I can never get together with Don--I'm not from Texas. He ALWAYS went for Texas girls. *sigh*)

Moonraker Feature (People Magazine -August 13, 1979)

[Here's an excerpt]

A year ago Chiles met Don Henley, 32, the drummer with the Eagles, in her exercise class. "My image of musicians," remembers Lois, "was of groupies, tearing up airplanes and trashing hotels. That was the last thing I wanted to get involved with." But she did. She doesn't tour with the group ("Concerts are interesting the first few times"), though she and her dog, Ursula, guested at his Holmby Hills manse before finding their own cottage last month in Santa Monica. "I love him very much," she says, but has no plans for marriage or children. When they're together Chiles lets Henley cook. "I hate roles in relationships," notes Lois. "I like roles if you're being paid."

----------------------

You can read the entire article here:
http://mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/history_moonraker_people.php3?t=&s=articles&id=02261

sodascouts
05-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Interesting! Thanks for posting that, DF.

Maidstone
10-21-2009, 03:06 PM
I moved recently and now going through boxes and boxes of old magazines.

Found this photo of Don Henley with Beverly D'Angelo from a birthday party for Sting back in 1991. From US magazine.

I didn't know he dated her. Hmmm...it seems she forgot the rest of her party dress.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/Maidstone/?action=view&current=Scan0012.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/Maidstone/untitled.jpg?t=1256151851

Maidstone
10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Don's response to the photogs "I'm not in the mood tonight".

Uh-huh. Let's just ask Beverly if he got into the mood later that night. :partytime:

Maid

Britt
10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
He does not look like a happy camper at all! LOL

sodascouts
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
An excerpt from People Magazine - Oct. 7, 1985

FARM AID

Bridging the stylistic gap between hard rock and country, Maria McKee and Lone Justice gave the largely Midwestern crowd what was perhaps its first taste of L.A.-style "cow punk." Wearing a country-girl dress and wielding a mean electric guitar, McKee opened with a rave-up rock version of Merle Haggard's Workin' Man Blues. Former Pure Prairie League vocalist Vince Gill, standing in the wings with Carlene Carter, said he thought McKee and Don Henley's band turned in the best performances of the day. But, he said, they both "went right over [the audience's] head."

If Farm Aid reminded rock of its roots, it also provided indelible moments when everyone seemed country cousins. It was Nelson playing his gut-string guitar with Tom Petty's electric band during Dylan's rousing rendition of Maggie's Farm. It was an aging country singer saying "I'm what's left of Hoyt Axton." It was Arlo Guthrie saying that if his dad, Woody, were alive "they couldn't get him off the stage." It was former Eagle Don Henley, just another sex object to Debra Winger, who called him "the cutest boy on stage," quietly detailing facts and figures about the farm crisis offstage and saying, "The value of farmers is not only in the food they raise, but in the value system they nurture."

[You go, Don!]

TimothyBFan
12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow-I just learned something new--even tho completely not Don related-I did not know that Vince Gill fronted Pure Prairie League. I'm not a big fan of theirs but know some of their stuff (their song Amie is my ringtone for my friend Amy). Will have to Wiki them to see who else was in that band.

On with the Don stuff (sorry I hijacked for a minute).

Troubadour
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
My brain seems to be stuck on the 'Don as a sex object' part...

(Love this idea, Nancy! It's always fun seeing past articles and interviews.)

DonFan
12-04-2009, 11:33 PM
My brain is always stuck on "Don as a sex object." 8)
Debra Winger has impeccable taste.

sodascouts
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I think Don would be pleased by Debra's description of him as "the cutest boy onstage," despite the author of the article acting like it was shallow of her. Hey, is it wrong to comment upon the hotness of someone just because they happen to be discussing a serious topic? That actually makes them hotter! ;)

sodascouts
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Inexplicably, this old article from 2004 (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0410/S00167.htm) came up on my Google alerts.

I was surprised to read this in it:

The Eagles meanwhile are currently writing a song about U.S. National Security Adviser Condoleeza Rice.

"We started writing a song about her, but we haven't finished it yet," [Don Henley] said.

"It's just kind of cute. It's just fun, tongue in cheek. It's sort of like 'Her Majesty is a very nice girl,' on the Beatles' album. Do you remember that? Just a little spoof at the end there. I don't know if it will get on a record," Mr. Henley said.

The song "neither" supports nor criticizes Ms. Rice, and just spoofs her, he said.
Guess it didn't make the record... interesting!

Freypower
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I completely agree about A Month of Sundays - the quiet simplicity of it set against the synthesizer laden songs on the rest of the CD. It is still my second favourite solo Henley song after the inevitable BOS.

01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Again, I just love reading some of the guys responses in these old interviews ... always makes me wonder what they would have to say about their answers today.

FP, as you know, I can't agree about A Month of Sundays. I know a lot of people like this song, but it just doesn’t do a thing for me. I find the music and melody to be terribly repetitious, and bland. It always amazes me how differently music can affect people. While some people call this song a masterpiece, to me, it is one of Don's weakest songs.

DonFan
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm with you on this one, Dreamer. I appreciate the sentiment behind Month of Sundays, but the song isn't one of my favorites.

sodascouts
08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
This old sound bite touches on something we were discussing in another thread:

http://kluv.radio.com/2010/08/23/don-henley-on-songwriting-2/

Peekaboo
10-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I wasn't quite sure where to put this but I figured since it came from a magazine article it could go in the "press" thread. I've been cleaning out my closet and came across a shoebox full of newspaper clippings of all kinds of random things. I probably should've just thrown all of them away but something told me to look through all of them because you might find something that you'll want to keep. I came across a clipping of a review of Don's Inside Job album. I'm gonna guess that it came from Entertainment Weekly magazine because i used to get those a lot around that time.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/Don%20Henley/DonIJarticle.jpg

Troubadour
10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
He enjoyed the album then. LOL!

sodascouts
10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/Don%20Henley/DonIJarticle.jpg

Wow, OUCH!

But thanks for sharing it - it's always interesting to read such things.

Freypower
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
A lot of those comments are very indicative of how I felt about the album when I first heard it. What has happened here is that the reviewer has reviewed the weakest songs (with which I agree) and ignored the great songs. Too bad.

Troubadour
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM
This is an old '80s interview with Don and Danny Kortchmar. I read it a long time ago but have recently stumbled upon it again and thought I'd share - it is WELL worth reading if you haven't already, particularly in light of the Eagles films coming out. It's fascinating to get a sense of where he was emotionally at that point and how he felt about the Eagles and his solo work. It's especially interesting because we know what happens a decade after this interview!

There's a lot of ground covered in this and some great stuff about other musicians, too. I've chosen one of my favourite quotes from it as the hyperlink...

"I still love Glenn and I know that he still loves me and stuff." (http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~markowit/interviews/dh/musician/musician.html)

Altogether now... "Awww!"

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I'd read that long ago but I have such a bad memory that reading it now was like reading it for the first time. Don is so honest and give such insights into the breakdown on the Eagles. I love it.

Thanks, Troub!

Troubadour
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree! It's an enlightening read. I love how open and lively he is... Quite different from today's more guarded interviews. I love the interplay between him and Danny, too. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall!

Thanks for moving this to the correct thread, too. I'd forgotten all about the retro press thread!

Houston Debutante
01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Love reading this older stuff, I missed out on it the first time around. Thanks, Troubadour. BTW your avatar is just taking my breath away.

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 10:17 PM
"Don Henley on Solo Flight After Leaving the Eagles" - Nevada Daily Mail (Feb. 6, 1985) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1908&dat=19850206&id=ze8hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nNUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1595,3096102)

"Ex-Eagle Don Henley Soars" - The Palm Beach Post (Aug. 2, 1985) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1964&dat=19850802&id=38sqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2M4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4554,1379360)

"A Former Eagle Learns to Soar Alone" - Toledo Blade (Apr. 10, 1990) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19900410&id=VjJPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BwMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3790,6155961)

"Don Henley's Natural Obsession" - Observer-Reporter (Oct. 13, 1991) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19911013&id=_IBeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7mENAAAAIBAJ&pg=2788,4276026)[ADORABLE photo!]

"Don Henley Gets Hitched" - Lodi News-Sentinel (May 23, 1995) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19950523&id=lsEzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hDIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=4052,2989439) [a bit about his wedding]

"Don Henley Returns to the Hotel California.... Sort Of" - Gainesville Sun (Nov. 10, 1995) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19951110&id=gN0zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=s-oDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3322,2345437) [Don talks about "Garden of Allah"]

"Don Henley: The Social Man" - New Straits Times (May 29, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1309&dat=20000529&id=uuBOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=eBQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5614,4635671)

"Don Henley Reunites Band for MS" - Sarasota Herald-Tribune (Apr. 16, 2001) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=20010416&id=KoEfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hX8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6360,56308)

DivineDon
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks Soda, loved reading the retro stuff on Don.

The Norwegian host was a hoot, 'And now Don Henley with "Summer Boys"'!

Somehow it doesn't have the same ring to it :hilarious:

Zanny Kingston
03-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks Soda!

Love these old articles- helps me catch up on things I missed!!

sodascouts
03-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Glad you like them! I found some more!

"Audiences Impress Don Henley" - The Prescott Courier (Oct. 13, 1991) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=886&dat=19911013&id=nFdLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=u30DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6918,2214583)

"Rock Musician Don Henley Fights to Save Walden Woods" - The Dispatch (Oct. 21, 1991) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1734&dat=19911021&id=vJcbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6FIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6549,6345994)

"Don Henley [Calls Fan Who Lost Legs En Route to Concert]" - Lodi News-Sentinel (Aug. 19, 1994) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19940819&id=qGYzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NzIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=5017,6485427) [how sweet of Don!]

"Don Henley Defiant As Ever on Latest Album's Bonus Track" - Daily News (Nov. 24, 1995) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1696&dat=19951124&id=XPoaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=t0cEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4040,2541204) [more about "Garden of Allah"]

"Life Got Better for Henley, so His New CD Comes with a Smile" - Sarasota Herald-Tribune (May 29, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=20000529&id=iG8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TH8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6259,5959852)

"Don Henley Takes on the Music Industry" - Reading Eagle (Jan. 20, 2002) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=20020120&id=PpokAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DKMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1110,1192338)

sodascouts
03-25-2014, 11:19 PM
"Don Henley Will Begin Drug Program" - Schenectady Gazette (Mar. 7, 1981) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19810307&id=gM5KAAAAIBAJ&sjid=aukMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4088,1696235)

"Why Don Henley's Grown Up a Little" - The Age (Aug. 27, 1989) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19890827&id=hrMyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SZEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2783,5685304)

"Don Henley Defends President Clinton" - Star-News (Jun. 29, 1993) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19930629&id=RrBOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6BQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2911,5098714)

"Don Henley [Suing Paramount Pictures]" - Lodi News-Sentinel (Aug. 25, 1999) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19990825&id=e4QzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PCEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5238,7192262)

"Fan Sues Don Henley" - The Post and Courier (Oct. 15, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2482&dat=20001015&id=gapbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7VENAAAAIBAJ&pg=3741,6856842) [the maraca incident]

"Don to Perform on A&E's 'Live By Request'" - Herald-Journal (May 30, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=20000530&id=4roeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-88EAAAAIBAJ&pg=2896,11316633)

"Playing on Discord: Don Henley at Odds with Congressional Subcommittee" - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (May 31, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=20000531&id=zvRRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=A3ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6788,7984833)

"Lawmaker Doesn't Understand Anger" - Herald-Journal (Jun. 20, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=20000620&id=OzofAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3M8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5209,1789530) [this is a continuance of feud above]

"Don Henley, David Crosby Raise $300,000" - Kingman Daily Miner (Dec. 7, 2001) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=932&dat=20011207&id=fsRPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9FIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4753,6124566) [Don helping out victims' families after 9/11]

sodascouts
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
But wait! There's more! lol

"Don Henley's Turn to Join the Fray" [I Can't Stand Still review] - The Age (Sep. 2, 1982) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19820902&id=tiRVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=s5QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1582,779359)

"Charity is a Problem" - Star-News (Nov. 18,1993) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19931118&id=p5lOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4xQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5821,1042086)

"Don Henley Takes Wedding to the Limit" - Reading Eagle (May 23, 1995) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19950523&id=noU0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=G6IFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3635,4119788)

"The Ramones Announce Retirement" - Rome News-Tribune (Aug. 11, 1995) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=348&dat=19950811&id=r48xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ezMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4332,6606419)

"Former Eagle Sues Over Web Address" - [I]Lakeland Ledger (Nov. 4, 1999) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19991104&id=tcROAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Uv0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6380,1339638)

"The Eagle Has Landed" - Gainesville Sun (May 30, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=20000530&id=pVFWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bewDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4581,8287499) [part one; then skip to part two (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=20000530&id=pVFWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bewDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2577,8291569)]

"Don Henley Enjoying His Life After Los Angeles" - The Free Lance-Star (Jul. 11, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=20000711&id=jTIzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QwgGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5273,2826130)

"Musicians, Actor Help Block Logging" - Herald-Journal (Jul. 21, 2000) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=20000721&id=nj8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4M8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4865,1517161)

"Rocker's Environmental Project Expands Borders" - Ocala Star-Banner (Oct. 9, 2002) (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=20021009&id=c_JPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zwgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6528,3507074)

And that's all for now!

sad-cafe
03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
these are awesome

ktdids
03-30-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks for finding all these great things Soda! I'm playing catch up on my computer because I was trying to read these on my phone, and everything was just too much of a blur to read, so it's Eagles music while I click away and wallow in it all!

Houston Debutante
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks so much for these, I've read all of them now, and I've learned a lot of things I didn't know before.

L101
11-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I followed a quote that I saw on FB to an article on Don - called 'Inside Don Henley (http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/H/Henley_Don/2000/05/21/745953.html)' from 10 years ago !

I loved the quote - "Yeah, I'm a fighter, I'm a trouble-maker," Henley says with a smile. "Well, I'm part Irish, you know. I have a thing about small guys getting bullied by big guys." especially the part Irish bit :grin:

Its an interesting read - but "Henley is a tall, thin, handsome man with short, red hair (RED hair ?? :eyebrow:) and intense blue eyes (so true) "
The writer must have been blinded by his intense blue eyes to see the true color of his hair ....:hilarious:

DivineDon
11-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Love this article, Lacken :applause:, especially the bit where Don considers himself half-Irish...yeah, I think we'd adopt him, don't you? :hilarious: The Irish reference might have thrown the interviewer and she immediately assumed Don must have red hair if he's got Irish blood! Though, I do think the crew cut he wore for Inside Job was a reddish hue, so maybe she wasn't far wrong. It was one of my least favourite looks, together with the tinted glasses though we did get to see his gorgeous clefted chin...hmmm:)

He's just so articulate and clever isn't he? Did I mention that I love him? :wink:

Freypower
11-26-2014, 05:30 PM
The quote said part Irish, not half Irish. To be half Irish you would have to have an Irish parent. I have an Irish background too (so does Glenn) but 'part Irish' isn't a phrase I would use. My great great grandfather was Irish.

DD, his hair does look somewhat red in your avatar.

DivineDon
11-27-2014, 10:35 AM
I got so excited seeing Don's connection to Ireland that I misread the quote. Henley or more commonly Hanley has an Irish derivation.

And yes, FP, I do know the difference between 'half' and 'part' - pardon me for my mistake. I didn't realise I would be upbraided for slipping up unintentionally...:eyebrow:.

L101
11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
The quote said part Irish, not half Irish. To be half Irish you would have to have an Irish parent. I have an Irish background too (so does Glenn) but 'part Irish' isn't a phrase I would use. My great great grandfather was Irish.

DD, his hair does look somewhat red in your avatar.

I know the quote said part Irish...the half Irish mention was probably just a Freudian slip on DD's part as we love Don and any Irish connection is welcome!
The post was meant to be a bit of light-hearted fun......

Anyways, half of the world is probably part Irish.... for such a small country, we sure get around !! :grin:

11-30-2014, 01:36 PM
He's just so articulate and clever isn't he? Did I mention that I love him? :wink:

Uh no, DD - I don't recall you ever mentioning that before. :wink: :lie: :grin:

And thanks for posting that interview again, L101. I always enjoy rereading old stuff. And I agree that you Irish folks seem to get around - it does seem like half the world has some Irish blood! You can count me in. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 02:06 PM
He was dyeing his hair during this period and it did look a bit reddish if the lighting was right!

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyKISS2000.jpg

Everybody wants to claim some Irish blood because Irish folks know how to have fun. ;) Just recently I found a photo of my great-great-great-grandparents who immigrated from Ireland in the late 1840s to escape the potato famine (along with a host of other Irish). The Irish do indeed get around! lol

L101
12-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Soda - that's amazing that you found that photo of your great-great-great grandparents....that's something to keep forever.

IABAD - Hope you don't mind me posting some stuff that was already posted but most of the articles are new to me so I have a lot of catching up to do :grin:

And of course, the part Irish/American union produced two of the worlds greatest musicians/songwriters ever - Don and Glenn so yay!! :yay:

NightMistBlue
01-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I just read the 1994 American Songwriter interview with Don: http://www.americansongwriter.com/1994/09/songwriting-the-heart-of-the-matter-don-henleys-songs-mirror-todays-society/

It's surprising (to me) that he focuses, at least in this interview, almost exclusively on writing lyrics. There's almost nothing about writing music, but he *does* write music, doesn't he?

It says in Marc Eliot's "To the Limit" that Don sometimes composes lyrics to a click track - which is fascinating, I'd never heard of someone writing that way, but of course it makes perfect sense since he's a drummer.

Freypower
01-22-2015, 06:37 PM
I just read the 1994 American Songwriter interview with Don: http://www.americansongwriter.com/1994/09/songwriting-the-heart-of-the-matter-don-henleys-songs-mirror-todays-society/

It's surprising (to me) that he focuses, at least in this interview, almost exclusively on writing lyrics. There's almost nothing about writing music, but he *does* write music, doesn't he?

It says in Marc Eliot's "To the Limit" that Don sometimes composes lyrics to a click track - which is fascinating, I'd never heard of someone writing that way, but of course it makes perfect sense since he's a drummer.

Lyrics are his forte and what he is best known for. From what I can understand the majority of his songs have been written with collaborators such as Frey, Kortchmar, Lynch etc who write the majority of the music. I realise that is a generalisation & that Don is capable of composing on both guitar & piano, but he regards himself as a lyricist & vocalist first & foremost.

sodascouts
01-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the only song which he composed without a collaborator was the excellent "Month of Sundays." Otherwise, I get the impression that he leaves most of the melody making to his songwriting partners. As FP says, lyrics are his forte.

NightMistBlue
01-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Thank you, FreyPower and Sodascouts, that's very helpful.

Jonny Come Lately
03-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Not really a piece about Don as such but thought it was interesting to mention:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-the-inside-story-19871119

While this old Rolling Stone article (taken from RS513 1987) is actually about the acrimonious split of Pink Floyd in the 1980s, Roger Waters directly quotes lyrics from Don's Long Way Home - 'There's three sides to every story/Yours and mine, and the cold, hard truth'. I thought this was interesting considering that on the follow-up to Roger's then very new Radio KAOS album, Amused To Death, he did a duet with Don on the song Watching TV.

At risk of going off topic I have to say Long Way Home is a song I've only recently discovered - I was impressed, I really liked it a lot.