PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I stole this idea from PLS, who suggested in another thread. I think it's a great idea. I'll tell my story of how I became an Eagles fan first.

I was a child of the 80s. I didn't know anything about the Eagles. All I knew were Glenn Frey and Don Henley's solo hits, because I really didn't listen to rock music until around 1984/1985. I liked both Don and Glenn a lot.

That's why, when I saw a commercial for Hell Freezes Over in 1994, I was astonished to find that BOTH Glenn Frey AND Don Henley had been in a group together! I figured, that must be one awesome band to have BOTH of them in it. I watched the special and thought it was great. I bought the cassette, and one of my first CD purchases was the Greatest Hits 1972-1975. I remember listening to "Take It the Limit" off of my new purchase while attempting to take limits for my calculus III class in college. Man, I sucked at that class.

However, my fandom didn't go any further at that point. The Eagles weren't putting out any new stuff, and I figured I already had the best of 'em already, why buy the back catalog? Instead, I got into Fleetwood Mac in 1997 with The Dance, and became a hardcore fan of them, especially Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. I went to their concerts whenever I could.... including Stevie's summer tour with Don in 2005... and there begins part II of my story, when I become a hardcore Eagles fan.

Although I went to Chicago to see Stevie in 2005, I didn't mind Don being there. I remembered how I'd liked many of his songs back in the 80s. Some of my Stevie friends didn't agree, including the ones I was driving up with. I took out my CD of Actual Miles, which I'd bought a few years before, and insisted that they listen to it before continuing to whine. It was a three hour drive to Chicago from West Lafayette, Indiana, after all! They did, and had to admit he had some good stuff. We got into discussions about whether Stevie inspired songs like Not Enough Love in the World. Before you know it, they were enjoying Don, too. :)

Once there, I thoroughly enjoyed Don's set (with the exception of The Genie). I was impressed by how well his voice had held up, how well the music had held up, how well he'd held up. The smoldering sexuality of his duet with Stevie on Gold Dust Woman was... um... inspiring. ;) Afterwards, I decided it would be worth my money to buy some more of the Eagles' music, and I purchased the Very Best. I put it in my car's CD changer and it didn't come out for MONTHS, which says something, since nothing besides the Mac/Lindsey/Stevie had ever occupied it for that long. (It was a six CD changer, though, so some of their stuff remained. lol)

But it gets better! A few months later, I went to Stevie's benefit concert in Phoenix. I donated money to the Arizona Heart Institute, which garnered me (and 200 other donors) a pass to meet Stevie. Who should accompany her to the meet-n-greet but Don! I recently posted this story in the "Meeting Don" thread in Don's forum, so I won't go into more detail, but suffice it to say that meeting him fanned the Don-love which I was already feeling. He was so gracious and friendly to all the Stevie hardcores, and so supportive of my girl Stevie.

Now at this point you may ask yourself, "I thought Nancy liked Glenn better?" ;) So here's part 3, where I started to become a hardcore Glenn Fan. It started slowly. As I said before, I listened to the VB regularly. I found myself liking the songs with Glenn's vocals better. His voice really appealed to me. As I started buying the albums themselves, this only became more and more evident with each one. My appreciation for Glenn built when I obtained the Houston 1976 bootleg. He was such a dynamic performer! Farewell 1 cemented it even further. I was enchanted! At this point, I was still a member of Eagleland. I learned a lot of stuff there, and met a lot of great people. I inquired there about whether Glenn had a site, and when I found he didn't, I determined to make him one! The more I discovered in researching for the site, the more I liked him. When you spend a lot of time building a site for a musician, you really have to immerse yourself in his work. My Frey fandom was building to fever pitch!

Then, I went to the Eagles Sacramento concert in late 2005, and that was it. Glenn became my fave male singer ever (surpassing even Lindsey Buckingham) and the Eagles tied with the Mac for the best rock group ever.

And it just keeps getting better! :)

That's my story. What's yours?

Maleah
03-09-2007, 11:57 PM
well mine is nowhere near as exciting as yours but here we go :D lol

I'll start off by saying what I've said before, I had heard the Eagles songs before and really liked them.......but had no clue who sang them. lol But I work at Wal-Mart in the electronics department, and back in September of 2006 our supervisor decided to put F1 on to get people to stop and look at some tv's we were trying to sell. Well, needless to say he stopped trying to sell the tv's and decided to order 150 dvd's when we had 12 customers within a half hour ask us for that dvd. ANYWAY..............back to the story ;).......we had disc 2 in and I didn't really pay any attention until "Dirty Laundry" came on and I immediately liked the beat of the song. So of course I stopped to listen, and when Don opened his mouth and started to sing.............I went :shock:! lol

I've always liked raspy voices for a guy and Don had everything that I liked in a guys voice. He had the rasp, he had range, he had soul..........I LOVED it!!! I immediately went home that night and downloaded DL from wmart.com and proceeded to download LITFL, ICTYW, TITTL, and TLR as well. By that time I was hooked and I bought the dvd the next day.

I stood at work in awe of the fact that I was familiar with these songs, but had no idea who they were! I had heard ICTYW and HT a lot especially. The more I watched the dvd, the more I loved watching ALL of the guys. Don remains my favorite, but I love them all because of the individuality that they bring to the table. In fact, watching Timothy on F1 made me want to learn to play the bass. ;)

So here I am, eagerly waiting for the next tour because I trying to stop beating myself up over the fact that they were here in little 'ole Bismarck 2 years ago and I didn't go. :? Hopefully they'll come back this year!!

And that's it! (told you it was boring :D ) But the saga continues......... ;)

sodascouts
03-10-2007, 12:47 AM
That's a great story about the rush at Walmart, Maleah! Love it. My Brother-in-law once worked at a Best Buy type store a few years ago (I honestly can't remember the name) and he said they sold a lot of TVs, DVD players, and sound systems playing Hell Freezes Over.

Maleah
03-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Since we've had F1 playing pretty much the entire time since September of last year, we're thinking when the new cd comes out........we'll order HFO and have that playing on the tv's and have the cd's (and HFO dvd's of course ;) :D ) displayed around it. We sold over $5,000 worth of F1 so I guess that's not too bad.

glenneaglesfan
03-10-2007, 05:45 AM
This is a great idea for a topic. I like the idea of getting your Stevie friends to listen to Don before criticising him, Soda, and your description of his smouldering duet… Maleah, that is very cool to hear about all the customers rushing to buy F1!

Well, my story goes like this. I first heard the Eagles when I went to university in the mid seventies. My flatmates had Hotel California, and we used to spend many happy hours chilling out to that, as well as other iconic albums of that era. I didn’t buy much music of my own (I was on a very tight budget in those days), but one of the few I did buy was ‘Greatest Hits’, which I loved. When my first pay cheques started arriving, I began to buy more music, but the Eagles’ music was hard to find. and I remember the excitement of finding ‘Live’ on cassette in 1981, listening to it on the way home in the car (on a battery powered tape player on the front seat) and thinking ‘I Can’t Tell You Why’ was a beautiful song, and also wondering who Joe Walsh was, as he appeared to be a guest). As I’ve said elsewhere, I didn’t have a clue about who was who.

Then there was a bit of a gap, then ‘Boys of Summer’ came out, and Don was referred to as former Eagle, and I loved the song and recorded it off the radio, crumby quality, but I listened to it a lot.

For the next number of years I got sidetracked with marriage, children, etc. We started buying cds, and at last I found ‘The Very Best of’ which replaced my ancient tape of ‘Greatest hits’ in the car. I suggested we bought ‘Hotel California’, and this is when things snowballed. I looked at the insert, and found myself fascinated by these men, particularly the wasted guy in the middle. I discovered that he was the sensitive voice on NKIT, co-wrote a lot of the songs, and played the piano. I went back to my old ‘Greatest Hits’ album, and tried to tie up the faces – to be honest I don’t think I recognised Glenn on ‘GH’, and of course I didn’t know about the personnel changes.

Out of curiosity, I googled Eagles on the internet, and found a site called Desperado (no longer in existence), where to my amazement I discovered that they had reunited in 1994, and were still performing now. I became more and more interested, learnt a whole lot more about them on Eagleland and other sites, that the ‘wasted guy’ was now a gorgeous and happily married man, and my admiration just exploded. That was nearly two years ago. Since then I have seen The Eagles live three times last summer, have all their albums and Glenn’s solo work, constantly listen to them (and carry a little badge with Glenn on it in my pocket all the time. :blush:)

DonFan
03-10-2007, 10:41 AM
My initial Eagles connection goes all the way back to listening to their music during my college days in the 70s, too. But like so many of us, I married my college sweetheart (too early) and working and trying to get pregnant and miscarriages and real life distracted me from concerts and music for awhile. Then I got a divorce in the 80s and remember listening to Don's solo music quite a lot during my dating-again days--I loved DL, BOS, ASWTDID, EOI, etc--and I was also a huge Miami Vice fan so I also loved Glenn's Smuggler's Blues & The Heat is On.

Then I got married again--to the right man this time--and we started trying to have a family. I had to go through several fertility treatments to finally get pregnant, and I was hospitalized for 9 weeks taking various anti-contraction meds to stop my pre-term labor with my youngest. I laid in the hospital bed listening to a lot of music during that time. The Dr kept telling me I could go home, then would change his mind and tell me I had to stay when my contractions would start back. One song became my mantra--Hotel California--for the line "You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave"! Anyway, I finally had the children I wanted for so long, our two wonderful daughters--and I got wrapped up in my family life so I stopped going to concerts again.

Flash forward to 2004, when my beloved father was diagnosed with aggressive Stage 4 melanoma and my entire family was thrust into an endless string of doctor's appointments and unsuccessful experimental cancer treatments until he died, less than 6 months after his diagnosis. My sister had just moved to Atlanta to the Chastain Park area and sent me a list of performers who were coming to Chastain, and asked me to pick one and come over to a concert so we could get our mind off our sorrow. I chose Don Henley.

That man--that voice!--and his music touched something deep inside me that night, and things were never quite the same after that. What started as an innocent distraction turned into something quite wonderful. I bought every Henley and Eagles CD I could get my hands on. I started researching him online, with sites such as Eagleland and others. I think it was right about the time I watched Don's Storytellers that BOOM, I slipped, stumbled, and fell--I was a complete goner. I went back to Atlanta the following year and got 6th row seats for an Eagles concert, and when Don walked out front and stood right in front of me in the spotlight to sing Wasted Time--Oh my God. Need I say more? As an added bonus, I started meeting other wonderful Eagles fans, which just made everything even better.

And it is still going strong....

sodascouts
03-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Great stories, GEF and Dana! GEF, we sure have come a long way since not knowing who was who! (I used to be very confused about who sung Take It to the Limit on the Greatest Hits 1972-1975. After all, there was no Randy on Hell Freezes Over, and I too wasn't aware of all the personell changes! I thought, "This doesn't sound like any of them!" And when someone posted the OOTN album photo on a Fleetwood Mac board, the only one I could identify was Don - because he was the one who looked like Lindsey. It blew my mind that the guy with all the hair and that funkified moustache was Glenn!)

Dana, it really is wonderful how music can help you through hard times. Your story was very moving. No wonder you're a DonFan. :)

DonFan
03-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted their stories.
I love reading them--they are all amazing--and I can't wait to read more!

timfan
03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I became a fan of the Eagles music in 1994 when I heard the Common Thread album. I remember my family was driving down to the USA for a vacation... and Dad wanted something to entertain us in the car. So he picked up the Common Thread tape at the local music store! Needless to say i was hooked and when i got home started listening to all my dad other Eagles music... :D

This continued for many years. Yet I didn't become a hard core Eagles fan til June 2005 when I purchased the Farewell 1 DVD for my dad for Father's Day and WOW!! :shock: Upon watching it I took immediate notice of one Timothy B Schmit!! Since then it's been all Eagles for me!! :P

Since 2005 I've been to 3 Eagles concerts, (one in San Jose California and two in London England) and one Glenn Frey solo concert. I can't wait for the album to be released and more Eagles concerts to be announced!!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
These are great stories so far. It just serves as a reminder to me about the power of great music. I know we joke and kid around alot about the 'hotness' of certain individuals, and that IS important. :wink: But in the end it really is all about the music.

So okay – here is the story of my 35-year old Eagles fandom. I apologize in advance for the length, so I decided to break it up into phases. I considered trying to post a condensed version, but I then figured 'what the crap'! You all can decide for yourselves whether to read the whole thing or not.

Phase 1 – The ‘70’s

First of all, I’m old so I became an Eagles fan the first time I heard Take It Easy on the radio in the summer of ’72. I immediately went out and bought the Eagles album, which was weird since I was a poor college student and I usually only bought 45 RPM singles back then. Now, there was no MTV or VH1 back then, so the only image I had of the guys was the upside down picture on the inside of the gatefold. To say the least, nothing much caught my eye, but my ears really did get a treat. I loved almost every song. It wasn’t that much time between when Witchy Woman and PEF were waning in popularity that Desperado was released. I bought that album too. At the time, I liked some of the songs, but didn’t think it was as good as the Eagles album. :shock: As most of you know, Linda Ronstadt’s cover of Desperado was a hit, but the Eagles version wasn’t a hit. Now, I had one more picture of the band on the cover of the album, and I just remember the mental image I had of them was that they were some messed up looking, skinny cowboys. This is the trend that would continue throughout the decade. I eagerly awaited the release of every new album, loved them all, but wasn’t impressed by their looks. I just thought they were a bunch of drugged up, skinny hippies. The only name I knew was Glenn Frey. But then, as they began reaching megastar status, I remember all the talk on the street when it was announced that Bernie had left and was being replaced by Joe Walsh. While many thought that was a totally insane idea, I remember thinking how cool it was that Joe was going to be an Eagle. Once Hotel California was released, I think I learned the name Don Henley, as well. Of course, by then, they had become the most popular band in the country. Finally, I remember waiting what seemed like forever for The Long Run to be released. By then, my fandom was in full swing along with most of the rest of the country. I knew them all by name, except somehow I missed that Randy had left the band. When I bought the album and looked at the picture I had to try to figure out who was who because some of them had really changed their look. :wink: :wink: That was when I figured out that Timothy was now an Eagle and put him together with the unrecognizable voice on ICTYW. DUH! It suddenly began to occur to me that these former messed up, skinny cowboys were pretty easy on the eyes after all. But then, it all came to an end. I remember that I was devastated (much more so than when The Beatles had split up a decade earlier).

Phase 2 – The 80’s and 90’s

Throughout the ‘80’s, I followed both Don and Glenn’s solo careers. In the early days of the band, Glenn was the lone front man for the band and the most well known, so he was my obvious favorite. After Hotel California, of course, Don joined Glenn as my co-favorite. As I mentioned earlier, it wasn’t until The Long Run that I had even paid any real attention to their appearance. But by now, MTV was in full swing, and as I watched The Boys of Summer and You Belong to the City videos, I was taken agasp by the full-fledged hotness that had developed in Mr’s. Henley and Frey. I was in awe about how well those messed up hippies had developed. I bought No Fun Aloud, Building the Perfect Beast, and The End of the Innocence. But like most fans, I missed the Eagles. Although I was in complete shock, I was elated with the Hell Freezes Over announcement. I never had the opportunity to see the band live in the 70’s because I was dirt poor and there was no way I could afford a $10 - $15 concert ticket. So now with the pending HFO tour, I could rectify that. However, by then, I was a dedicated career girl who was traveling extensively in my job during the decade of the ‘90’s. Much to my disappointment, I could never synch up my travel schedule to get to a concert – a huge disappointment that lingers to this very day! To help ease my pain, I bought Glenn’s Solo Collection CD around 1996, and only then discovered that I had somehow missed out on Strange Weather, so I thankfully added that to my collection. That has since become my all time favorite Eagles solo album.

Phase 3 – The New Millenium

Finally, in 2003, the guys announced new tours dates, and the very first date was right in my hometown. Even though I was ready to purchase my tickets the moment they went on sale, I still only managed to get sucky seats in the upper level. It didn’t matter though because I was on Cloud 9. After over 30 years, I finally got to see a live show! My fandom was renewed in full force. In March 2005, I went to another show in Hampton, Va. This time, with the help of my new home PC (which I had intentionally avoided purchasing for many years), I managed to get floor level seats, but still about 2/3’s of the way back in the arena. Shortly after that show, I was so psyched that I started surfing the net for any information I could find about the band. That’s when I found Eagleland. After the Hampton show, I kept thinking how much I wanted to see another show. Reading other fan's experiences made me realize how normal I am. :wink:

During the summer of 2005, the band announced fall dates for the California tour. It just so happened that I was planning an October trip to California for a family affair. I synched the tour dates with my trip, and the Oakland concert fit in beautifully with my travel schedule. I immediately made up my mind that I was going to that show and that I was going to get the very best ticket that I could find no matter what I had to pay. The tickets had already been on sale, so I began my Internet search for the perfect ticket. I finally found ONE perfect 3rd row center ticket on ebay that er … shall we say, was not cheap. It didn’t matter. It also didn’t matter that I would have to tell my SO and my cousin that they would not be accompanying me to the show after all. :twisted: As previously mentioned, ever since HC, Don and Glenn had co-existed as my favorites and that was reinforced after seeing them live. Therefore, I was totally unprepared for what was to happen in Oakland. I was taking vigorous notes at the show so I could post a detailed review on Eagleland. However, with my 3rd row seat directly in front of Glenn, this was a concert experience unlike any other I’d ever had. I became increasingly mesmerized and taken in by Glenn’s charisma, charm, and energy. The man was flat out oozing with hotness. By the end of the show, I could hardly take my eyes off of him. When he made eye contact with me and mouthed a line from LITF directly at me, I was chosen once and for all. I left that show in a daze. Once home, I began to suffer from serious PEW, mainly PGW. I kept thinking how much I wanted to go back for another show. In the meantime, Z and I had become PM buddies. She had been to the Bakersfield show in September, and was feeling some Timmy love. Like me, she was feeling the need for another show. One day we just decided ‘what the hell, let’s do it!’ So we checked things out and decided to go to the show in Sacramento in November. We got all our plans together and eagerly awaited for the day to arrive. The night before I was flying to CA, I got a PM from Soda informing me that she had suddenly decided to go to the Sacramento show, and was meeting up with PLS out there. So off we all went, not only to see another awesome show, but to meet new friends as well. It turned out to be a wonderful weekend. Z and I even managed to casually work our way to the front row from our 4th row seats. The security guy waved us on so we got to watch a good part of the 2nd half of the show from the best ‘seats’ in the house right in front of Tim and Glenn – you wanna talk about two happy women! We both got the eye contact that we were craving. :D :D :D

Since 2006 only saw the guys doing their short European tour, I didn’t get an opportunity to see them. However, much of the sting of not going to London for a show was lessened for me when Glenn announced his Prelude to Obscurity tour dates for July 2006. Once again, Z and I began making plans, along with Molly who was now our PM/email buddy as well. The original plan was to attend the two shows at Casino Rama. Several other fans, including Soda and PLS, were also making the trip. Then came the announcement that the Atlantic City date was added to the tour. Of course, attendance at that show was mandatory since it is so close to Z’s home. :wink: My Glenn love escalated even more when we were standing right at his feet for a good portion of all three shows. Then, it was back home again for a long, cold winter awaiting confirmation for a certain musician’s name to appear on the 2007 AT&T Pebble Beach celebrity golfers list. Oh my!

EasyFeeling
03-10-2007, 03:16 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif I just wanted to inform you I will need a few days to read this new thread. :wink: Just in case you all wonder why you don't find the EF-story here. :wink: I guess I will post it in a few weeks. :twisted: :wink:

sodascouts
03-10-2007, 03:46 PM
I just love reading all these stories! timfan, it's funny to me that you got F1 for your dad, but it was you who wound up being sucked in! ;)

Dreamer - ah yes, Sacramento was not only great for the Glenn-tact, but for the connections I made with PLS, you, and Z. Fun times!!!!! And look at us now, lol! Additionally, hooking up with folks like timfan and Molly at Casino Rama was also a blast! This was after my trip to the UK, where I got to hook up with GEF, Witchy Mummy and Toonlass, among others. I've been really blessed to meet so many great people in person!

timfan
03-10-2007, 03:54 PM
timfan, it's funny to me that you got F1 for your dad, but it was you who wound up being sucked in! ;)

yeah :P :wink: I think Dad has watched F1 all the way through once; MAYBE!! Otherwise The DVD stays in my possesion, in my room.... I guess I've 'adopted' Dad's F1 DVD!! :blush: :D

03-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Ah yes - I forgot to include that timfan was also at Rama - my bad! :wink:

This has been one of the best parts about being an Internet Eagles fan - I had no idea when I first started surfing the net for Eagles info that I would actually end up posting on message boards, much less actually meet some truly great friends. Not only that, but, hopefully, we're not done yet. I really hope we will get to meet others sometime later this year.

And timfan - I understand the thing with your Dad because I have converted my young nieces into Eagles fans. The problem with this is that now they all want to go to the next shows, and guess who they want to buy their tickets. :wink: :shock:

glenneaglesfan
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Those are fantastic accounts of how you developed Eagle-love, df, tf and dreamer. I've really enjoyed reading them. In particular, I love the step by step approach that some of us have had - an introduction, a hearing, and then we've been inspired to seek them out on the internet. At this point, I'd like to add that I've met Soda, Timfan,Witchy Mummy and Toonlass, who are all members, and are all great people.

Freypower
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
OK... mine has some similarities to Dreamer's story. I apologise in advance for the length.

It's 1975 and I'm a 14 year old in love with Australia's top pop singer (from Sherbet, if anyone cares). I was also a huge McCartney & Wings fan & I liked stuff like Status Quo & Bachman Turner Overdrive (heavier stuff)! Then I started hearing the three 'big' songs from the OOTN album. My favourite was Take It To The Limit but I became addicted to Lyin' Eyes straight away. I was also a big fan of another song called Rocky Mountain Way in the same year.

I regularly read an Australian rock magazine and got a big surprise at the end of the year when it said that Bernie Leadon had been replaced in the Eagles by Joe Walsh. The first ever interview I read with Don & Glenn was in this magazine. I think that must have been when I decided that the most 'attractive' of them was Don Felder. Because I liked TITTL the best I somehow thought 'this must be Randy Meisner. He's the one I like'.

The band came to Australia in January 1976. The magazine was called RAM (Rock Australia Magazine) and it ran a couple of articles saying that the hot shot guitarist had 'sold out'. I was intrigued when they then ran a cover line which said 'Sheep Killer Special - Eagle Attacks RAM'! and Joe answered their taunts.

I was fascinated. What sort of music will these guys make together, I wondered. So then came the answer - Hotel California - and I was utterly transfixed by it. By then I think I was aware that the drummer was Don Henley and he seemed to sing most of the songs. I had no idea who any of the others were except Joe.

We were in Sydney in January 1977, before I bought the album which had been played to death on my local radio station. We were walking through an open air market in Chinatown. The PA system blared out New Kid In Town. I had heard it before but suddenly I found myself listening intently to the singer's voice. I couldn't stop myself. I was mesmerised.

I went back & read all the information & looked at the photos. But the man in question with his dark hair & moustache held no charms for me at all. This became even truer when I finally saw the HC video and it was dominated by Don Felder - but at least I now knew it was Felder who was my favourite. The voice of NKIT, AG, TIE, Lyin' Eyes, TS... that was my favourite voice, though.

I got more and more impatient as I awaited The Long Run. I wanted to ditch my teenage heroes and follow a 'real' band. I noted when Schmit replaced Meisner. I heard all sorts of rumours about discord in the studio. I even read a report that Frey had a 'collapse' of some sort. I was concerned.

I was at university in Canberra at the end of September 1979 when I first heard Heartache Tonight. I realised at once that it was the guy who sang NKIT. I thought 'well, if I'm going to have a favourite member of this band I suppose it will either be this guy or Don Henley because they sing most of the songs but I really don't like this guy physically'. So I went into the city centre on the day the album was released to look at the cover, opened up the gatefold and there they were. Let's see... that's the new guy, Tim Schmit, with the long hair. Ah yes, Felder, still looks good (but he doesn't sing... it's not realistic for him to be my favourite member).

WHO ON EARTH IS THAT???

Moving along quickly - yes, that's Henley with the big hair (!) and that's Walsh. Nice moustache. So that means.... surely not....

I tried to tell myself that I would be better off if I 'went' with Henley but I couldn't do it. I was gone.

I think I will do the rest of this history in another post, if that's OK.

sodascouts
03-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Of course it's OK if you break it up. I look forward to Part 2!

glenneaglesfan
03-11-2007, 10:44 AM
This is great reading, FP, and I can't wait for the next episode. I forgot to add that I had a similar moment when I first saw Long Run Glenn in the Complete Greatest Hits booklet - good grief, is that the same man?

Randy's Girl
03-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I started this yesterday evening (just before Dreamer's). I'd almost finished then hit the wrong key and managed to get myself off the internet completely! Aaaargghh!! So I'll try again ..

I first heard HC in 1986 when my husband lent me a copy. I had never heard of the Eagles then, I was a Springsteen fan. I used to listen to it on my Walkman while I was working as an evening cleaner (in addition to my dayjob). Try and Love Again quickly became my favourite - I loved the voice. I quickly bought all their albums on tape and vinyl and played them to death. Learned who was who and who sang what, and soon realised that all my favourites were sung by the same person - Randy Meisner. When I saw his picture I was hooked even more. I even used their names as passwords on my computer files at work ( the most used one was Randy Meisner - even now I can type his name really fast and without looking). Desperado became my favourite - I just loved everything about it.

I remember watching Glenn's acting debut in Miami Vice, I remember some of their solo work (The Heat Is On and Boys of Summer). I bought Don's albums, and one of Glenn's. My husband has a lot of Joe Walsh LP's as he was a fan before Joe joined the Eagles. I used to look for Eagles videos constantly - I so wanted to see them perform. Occasionally, the music channels would play the vid for HC and my eyes would be glued to Randy, and I wished with all my heart I could see him sing Take It To The Limit one day.

Then one day just before Christmas 1994, we were decorating our tree with the TV on, and there was an advert for the reunion concert showing on VH1. We watched and taped the concert, loved it. Bought the CD, the video (and later the DVD). We saw them live in 1996. Bought the Hole In The World CD.

Kids came along - didn't think about Eagles much (still played their songs), went back to work. Then one day last April, watching TV one evening, the next program was Eagles live at the BBC. We watched it, and I fell in love with Randy all over again. Just watching him sing (with his eyes closed - so sweet). He looked so handsome and sexy. In the weeks that followed, I became totally addicted to him. I spent a lot of time on ebay, I joined Eagleland (seemingly as the only Randy fan in the world). I found friends there too and again here and on TLR (I'd never joined a forum before so it was all new). I filled my computer with pictures, I got all his solo stuff and, joy of joys, I found the live performance of TITTL.

I missed the concerts last year - tried really hard to get tickets on ebay - missing out by pennies and minutes. I've a good few Eagles DVD's now (generally several copies of the same few concerts - of differing quality). My girls (now 7 and 9) also love the Eagles now and can identify who's singing lead on each song. They know all the band members past and present.

I love the Eagles still, love their music, love the band whoever is in it, but my favourite is Randy, always will be Randy. Love his voice and his songs, love his bass playing and of course he's a fine-looking man.

And that's my story :D

sodascouts
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for sharing that, RG! I know it must be difficult to be so outnumbered, although we have lots of Randy-lovers even if he isn't the favorite of most. ;) Seeing the Eagles perform in concert, even on TV, really does go far to promote Eagles love! I wonder if they'll ever release the BBC concert? Perhaps it's not in their power to do so, I don't know.

Freypower
03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's part two of my epic - The Solo Years.

Of course I had just become an Eagles and Frey fan when a year later, they broke up. I was in London at the end of 1980 when Don was arrested and I was seriously concerned. Eventually news filtered through that they had in fact split. So now what?

So after waiting impatiently throughout 1981, No Fun Aloud & I Can't Stand Still were released in 1982. It was then I realised that Glenn was more 'lighthearted' and didn't write 'serious' lyrics but I still preferred his voice. I just followed the solo careers - 1985 being a good year for Glenn in particular with his soundtrack hits.

In 1988 of course he came out here to do Expo with LRB and them I saw him for the first time in August. It was a wonderful experience. He had all the charisma and vocal power that I had always thought and he seemed to have a great sense of humour. The TV interviews that he did at the time were really helpful to me. I also saw Joe twice in this period with the Party Boys & the Creatures From America. Joe unfortunately was still an alcoholic. It was quite evident, although he sang & played alright.

But then Glenn's career started to taper off while with EOTI, Don's took off. Don was everywhere and Glenn started acting. Much as I loved Wiseguy I missed his music & singing. Then there were the rumours that they were reforming in 1990. That was what I really wanted - for the two of them to work together again. On my 30th birthday I found out that it wasn't happening and I felt so disillusioned that I decided I was wasting my time. I turned to humour - becoming a Monty Python addict. I decided that Michael Palin of Python was superior to Glenn Frey and had replaced Glenn in my affections. I persisted with this until in 1991 I got Palin's autograph and pretty much embarrassed myself with how I behaved. I knew I was wrong but I felt I couldn't go back.

I tried to treat Strange Weather with complete indifference, even though the entire time I knew I wanted to 'go back' - I just couldn't admit it to myself. I occupied myself with other things... meeting my English penpal and getting married and rediscovering England rather than America, including football.

Stay tuned for Part 3 in which the Eagles reform and I 'come home'.

Glennsallnighter
03-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Wow FP your story is absolutely fascinating - can't wait for part 3. Mine is far more mundane I'm afraid. Being a child of the 70's and having brilliant but older parents my exposure to rock music was to say the least limited. We only had one official national radio channel, and the parents tended to buy classical records, but even with this some Eagles music managed to filter through, and what I heard I liked. Songs which stick out in my mind fron the pre 80 era would include HC of course, Lying Eyes, TIE, TITTL Desperado and a few more. As the 80's arrived I started playing my own music on piano and then taught myself to play the guitar. Many of the popular books of sheet music would have at least one or two Eagles songs in them and I got quite good at playing HC (Which I even sang at a later stage when seriously inebriated), LE and Desperado, since they were the ones cropping up most. Meantime during the eagles "14 year Vacation"(I refuse to say breakup as Glenn didn't) I was exposed to plenty of work from Messrs Henley and Frey. Glenn in particular had a great following this side of the Atlantic. The early 80's also saw the rise of MTV on which I first saw 'Sexy Girl' and remember arguing Glenn's corner with my sister, saying he was 'a bit of allright' quite a high compliment in Irish teenage circles at the time. I bought a popular hits compilation in 1986 entitled 'The heat is on'. No prizes for guessing the first track. TITTL was also on it. I played that tape out for years until my walkman finally ate it :weep: I also loved a lot of Glenn's solo work, particularly POMPOY, YBBTTC. Any time I hear Don's BOS it reminds me of a great summer I spent on the East Coast of the USA. Although I missed Glenn playing in Dublin in 1992 (I was in London trying to find work! Times were very different then) :( I remember the publicity when the band reunited for HFO. In the meantime I was busy doing exams, working, buying houses, getting married, having kids etc, not a lot of time for oneself! And the Internet and its tremendous access to music was only in fledgeling state. I also acquired a keyboard, far more musically versatile than piano.

Scroll down to October 2005. I hear The Eagles will play in Dublin in 2006. The usual, buy your tickets, get your seats. I was online as soon as they were released.

Sunday 11 June 2006 dawned hot and sunny (I'd been watching the weather forecast for weeks) Got the kids sorted, got the parents to babysit (I reckoned they owed me that much in lieu of all the rock music they didn't give me access to in the 70's). We headed off to the concert. We had seats only a few rows from the front. At 8:15 pm the lads came out to sing. Glenn was wearing that gorgeous pink shirt he was wearing in the F1 DVD. Girls, I was lost!! :smitten: I melted. I just stared at him all night long. I fell madly in love with him that night (Although I suppose it had been a long time coming!) and still am :love: I just wanted that gig to go on forever. Was it his eyes, his voice, his looks......I just don't know - a bit of everything I suppose. I got it bad that night and still haven't recovered.

Anyway the next day I went out and bought both the F1 DVD and the Complete Greatest Hits CD. I listen to them all the time, along with other Eagles work, and of course plenty of Glenns solo work. I love him Live in Dublin, because his voice comes in over the tracks so much. I could listen to that voice forever! Also I suppose because i'm a 'Dub' myself!

I have a laminated photo of Glenn in the inside pocket of my bag- I've rewritten the words of Peaceful Easy Feeling as my special song to him, but I won't bore you with the alternative lyrics here. The kids have unlimited access to Glenn's and the Eagles music and DVDs and already have their favourites. The 5 year old in particular is very musically aware, and can even tell the difference between Glenn and Don singing the same song. My mother thinks she should get more exposure to classical music, but I feel she's better getting all types for the moment. She can pick what she likes when she's older. Its unlikely the Eagles will be around when she's my age. Although they have shown before that Hell does indeed Freeze Over! She'll probably have realised by then that her mum loved an awful lot more about the Eagles than just their music!!

03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
These stories are all great. I have enjoyed reading each and every one of them. It's really interesting to read about how we all "got here."

Freypower
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
GA, that is a great story. They're all great stories.

Part 3 of mine is actually something of an anti-climax. I honestly can't remember what it was like when I heard about the reunion. I was very wary of the whole thing after hearing about what had happened with South of Sunset. I vaguely remember that when I first saw HFO and heard those words 'for the record, we didn't break up' etc I thought 'he's back'. And he was back, even though he only sang three songs. He did his 'leadership' act to perfection. I was 'dazed and confused'.

Of course the Australian tour was postponed for a year when he got sick. I thought 'I've waited this long and now I have to wait another year'! But when I finally saw the band it was a fantastic experience, although because it was at the Sydney Cricket Ground I really couldn't see that much. I am glad that I got to see my previous favourite member Felder, who had grown his beard back.

Though I was back as a devoted fan I don't think it was until 2001 when Felder was fired that I really started behaving like a fan again and rediscovering the music. I rediscovered Glenn's music in particular - I no longer felt that I needed to compare it with Don's work. I couldn't believe how important he still was to me. That was brought home to me when I was in the car one day and heard POMPOY and realised - 'this is true. He IS part of me and however vaguely, as a fan, I'm part of him'.

That went on until I went to the five shows on the F1 tour, one in Melbourne and four in Sydney. I have to say that being privileged enough to hear Glenn sing No More Cloudy Days for only the second time with the band was amazing. I can't describe it. Then the Sydney shows, particularly the famous Second Row on December 4, 2004, when I got a huge 'stare' and a 'joke' ('a rich old man and she won't have to worry (much)'. He was looking at me when he said that and I swear it was like a private joke, no matter how often he's done it. And he looked so good and sang perfectly.

Finally since joining Eagleland and Flip City/The Border it's been great sharing my experiences with so many other Eagles fans and long may that continue.

Glennsallnighter
03-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I love reading these, too. FP, yours is like a saga - I'm looking forward to the next part! GA, I understand what you mean about your parents. My parents also found the Eagles unacceptable listening material for their daughters! But as has been noted before, you seem to be teaching the children well. ;)

Hi Soda! Its not even that they felt it was unacceptable material. It was just that at the time I don't think they ever even noticed it. I mean Dad is over 80 and they're married 50 years next year!! I think Rock music just passed them by. Thats why I want my kids to have as much exposure to music as possible - tho' at the moment its a little limited ie to Eagles and of course Glenn.

glenneaglesfan
03-13-2007, 04:08 AM
I don't think episode 3 is an anticlimax at all, FP. The moment you heard POMPOY in the car I find quite moving, and I didn't realise that you have had the special look and singing too. This man has a way with making his fans feel very special.

RG, I love that BBC concert as well. I first saw it on a bootleg, which only played about three times -grrr. I have another copy now, and it's also been shown on BBC4, in a shortened version.

GA, I'm interested that Glenn had a following over here - I guess that was during my getting married and having children phase, so I missed out. My parents are about the same age as yours and gave me a very good founding in classical music, but rock and pop music completely passed them by, and I'm afraid they are both starting to suffer with memory problems, so it's not even worth trying to explain the joy I've had recently from the Eagles, and Glenn in particular. That's why I particularly value the chance to share with all of you friends here.

Brooke
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Awwwww! All of these are so good! I'm behind with this as I've just been so darn busy at work! :x

I became a fan back in 1972/73 hearing Take It Easy and Witchy Woman on the radio. I was 16 and a junior in high school. In the spring of 73 my boyfriend brought the Eagles first album to school so we could listen to it while we were decorating the gym for prom. (Did anyone else do that back then? I know, I'm old!) He had a good friend in college and he had turned him on to the Eagles! There might have been a little smoke in the air, but we won't go there! :wink: Anyway, I looked at the cover and tried to guess who was who. Didn't have a clue, but they sure were cute! Especially the guy with the afro and the longest haired one! I married that boyfriend right out of high school and we were poor as dirt, but we did have our music! We both loved the Eagles music and managed to buy all their albums. Somehow, we even scraped up the money to go to St. Louis with some friends to a concert. It was during Hotel California tour, but I can't remember which year. Probably 77 or 78? By that time, I had figured out that Don was the drummer with the afro and Glenn was the longest haired guy and which songs they sang. I was pretty much in love with Don then, but Glenn was always knocking at the door! :wink: Don, ugh, that voice just made me melt, but then Glenn's was sooooooo sweet. How does a girl decide?! I'm pretty sure it's a good thing I lived in the Midwest and had no access or money to go to concerts all the time. Much as I love my hubby and all, I might have become a groupie! :shock: Really!

I remember being completely shocked when Joe joined the band. Hubby was a big fan of his and was like :shock: Joe Walsh with the Eagles?! Unbelievable! But it worked and we loved it! We were concerned with Randy leaving and Tim joining and also Bernie's exit, but every new album just reinforced that they were still the Eagles and still just as good! Then they broke up! We were devestated! How could they? But by this time we had our daughter and then a son and life went on. We were too busy with kids, jobs, and life to worry about it, but kept playing their albums and talked about how great they were. We really didn't pay much attention to their solo careers. We heard them on the radio, but didn't think they were nearly as good solo as they were together and didn't even buy any of their records! :nope: Their solo music was just not the Eagles music! We also didn't have access to MTV. I completely missed all the early videos! It was so great to get to see those, finally, in just the last 5 years! Look what we missed! :shock:

Scroll down to 1994. My brother lived nearby and called us one night to come over and watch the Eagles on MTV! :shock: They were back together! VCR's were new to us as well and we tried to tape that show, but of course, it didn't work! :roll: We didn't even know that they went on tour then. :shock: No internet or way to find out! Of course, with 2 teenagers, we couldn't have afforded to go to a concert anyway! Geez, Mom, WE want to go to a concert if anyone gets to go. :roll:

Stay tuned for part 2!

glenneaglesfan
03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Brooke, great account of your first encounters with the Eagles. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

sodascouts
03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I didn't find Part 3 disappointing either, FP. I love all these multi-parters, in fact, lol. Looking forward to Part 2 of yours, Brooke! I love the fact that you listened to the Eagles while decorating for your prom, and are still married to that same guy. Impressive!

03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
In the spring of 73 my boyfriend brought the Eagles first album to school so we could listen to it while we were decorating the gym for prom. (Did anyone else do that back then? I know, I'm old!)

Brooke, yes, we did decorate the gym for the prom. I'm old, too. :roll:

Don, ugh, that voice just made me melt, but then Glenn's was sooooooo sweet. How does a girl decide?! I'm pretty sure it's a good thing I lived in the Midwest and had no access or money to go to concerts all the time. Much as I love my hubby and all, I might have become a groupie! :shock: Really!

No kidding - in fact, I may still do it yet. :idea:
Oh crap, that's right, the guys don't have a groupie following anymore, do they! :twisted:

Perfect Little Sister
03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I guess since I'm the instigator here I should post my saga. I'm always so slow... :D

A Little Background
Like GA, I was a child of the 70's. OK, well technically I'm a child of the 60's but I don't remember back that far. Consequently, I was a tad young when the Eagles first hit the air waves. I don't remember hearing about the hot new sound...it was just always there. When I started noticing the different styles on the radio, I didn't really pay attention to who was singing. I either liked a song or I didn't. [this is still a failing of mine...after Pebble Beach I bought Clay Walker's best of cd and discovered I had always liked quite a few of the songs without knowing it was him singing :blush: ] I ended up with rather eclectic taste in music due to the fact my parents listened to country and folk music, my older sister (hence my user name) was into harder rock, my friends listened to pop and I played classical in the orchestra. My cassette collection had everything from Dolly Parton to Ozzy Osbourne. :lol:

Early Eagles Memories
One of my first memories of Eagles music is falling in love with "New Kid In Town". I attended 10 different schools during k-12, so this song was kinda "my song". I remember walking down the street to a babysitting job with my tape deck on my hip, singing along to "Life's Been Good". (we old folks didn't have walkmans, we had to carry big ol' boom boxes) I didn't put faces with the band until "The Long Run" came out. I was sitting in my best friend's big sister's room listening to that album and staring at the gatefold. Even at that young age I was mesmerized by Glenn. I would try to look at the others, only to have my eyes drawn back to Glenn. At the time I wondered why he looked sad. I guess because he wasn't smiling I must have thought he was sad. Hey...I was young. I thought "Life In The Fast Lane" was about racing cars. I had no idea what "lines on the mirror" were...i thought the mirror was cracked and the "lines on her face" was lost on me as well. :laugh: I thought the "doctor" was a paramedic because they had "crashed" the car. :roll: What can I say? No sooner did I discover there were men behind these songs I liked than I moved to Tucson, Arizona. (and they broke up) In Tucson the radio played both kinds of music...country and western! lol While country music was beginning to make the turn from honky-tonk to today's more rocking sound (courtesy of our beloved Eagles influence :wink: ), they didn't play the Eagles on my local country stations. As a result, I didn't hear "the boys" much for awhile.

The Boys Are Back In Town
I was sooooo excited to hear about the HFO tour. I wanted to go so badly I could taste it! But alas...I had four kids from toddler to pre-teen and the two oldest were in private school because the public schools where we lived then sucked. I had NO extra money for concert tickets. It really bummed me out. We weren't allowed to go to concerts in the 70's as the folks were sure we would be killed in a crowd rush a la the infamous Who concert. :roll: I was sure I would never see the boys live. My only consolation was my HFO dvd. The funny thing about that dvd is I had it for years and watched it many, many times. I always turned it off at the end of the show. But a few years ago, I let it run through the credits.

The Wow! Factor
I was sitting there reading the credits and thinking, "I really should get up and turn this off"...when suddenly, I heard this utterly infectious laughter and the camera panned down to show Glenn with his head thrown back, cracking up! Guess what...I suddenly had a favorite Eagle. He didn't get me with the enormous talent or intelligence...he didn't get me with the good looks...he didn't get me with the charsima...or by the way he positively exudes sensuality...it was the joyful laughter and the heart-stopping grin! After playing my cd's to death (and getting half of them stolen) and watching a hole in my dvd, I was thrilled to hear that we were getting Farewell 1. I bought the eagerly awaited dvd the day it came out and, as I'd not been so lucky as to see these guys live, I decided to simulate the concert experience. I brought the dvd home, popped it in to play on the big screen tv and cranked up the volume. :rockon: I sat in the middle of my living room floor, about 8 feet from the screen, for the next three hours! The only time I divided my attention from the screen was to comment on a song to my daughter. Like how much I loved the audience's extra clap as the stage went dark at the end of "Hole In The World" and during "No More Cloudy Days"...when Glenn sang, "I believe in angels, too", I gasped out loud and clapped my hand over my heart. :blush: My, then 12 year old, daughter looked at me like I had a screw loose. I explained to her that few people sing about angels and even fewer men do, so that line was really cool, especially to me as I am a firm believer. She still looked at me a little strange. lol

The Real Thing Baby!
Finally, after years of fandom, I got the opportunity to see the Eagles live in '05 on the California Tour. I live much closer to the Oakland venue, but couldn't get good seats....so I drove all the way to LA and went to see them at the Staples venue on October 22, 2005. Whoo hoo! I was way back behind and to the right of the mixing booth. I ended up holding binoculars to my eyes the entire show.lol My arms hurt for two days afterward, but it was worth it! The sound was PERFECT!!! The guys looked great...they looked happy...and were playful. I think I actually shrieked when Glenn did the shirt-tail-flip-up-butt-shake-thing during "All She Wants To Do Is Dance"! :blush: It was a great concert experience that I thought I would never get to have. I didn't dare to hope I would ever do it again. HA! Enter my best friend and partner in crime...Soda! We were online one night after the concert when she told me she had two tickets for Sacramento. I was wishing I could go when she told me the seats were 4th row, center! :shock: How could I not go? So we met up in Sacramento on November 19, 2005 along with Dreamer and Z. (Sacramento didn't know what it was in for) We had the best time! What a night! I never dreamed it could get better than the night I lost my "Eagle-ginity" but the second time was even better! :lol: I am eagerly awaiting the new album, with fingers crossed that "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" makes the final cut :pray: and looking forward to the next tour. I was hoping for some summer dates as my son will be moving to this coast in May. I really want my boys to see these guys live before they decide to stop touring for good. (oh, I dread that day :cry: )

see part 2 as the growing Frey-fandom saga continues

Brooke
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Yup Soda, still married to that same guy from the prom with the Eagles providing the soundtrack to our lives over all those years, even if the songs were old!

And dreamer, the guys may have that groupie following, they just don't take advantage! :twisted:

And now, the rest of the story!

We had no idea the Eagles were touring after HFO, but it probably wouldn't have mattered. With teenagers in junior high and high school, our money was pretty much tied up anyway!

Finally, around 1999 we got a computer and the internet at home. A must for the kids and homework!

Hubby and I would discuss that hopefully, we would get to go to an Eagles concert someday and how much we would be willing to pay for tickets. Fooling around on the net myself I searched for information on Eagles tickets. Low and behold, one day ticketmaster came up with them on tour in 2002 and tickets on sale for Ames, Iowa, which is about 5 hours away! I was so excited! I got 2 tickets for the 23rd row on the floor! Hey, just to be in the same building with them was a dream for me! We got to the venue a little early that evening and ran on to a guy who had 2nd row tickets that he would trade with us plus $70. We went for it and were amazed with our seats when we got in! Right in front of Timothy on the inside aisle! I'd have to say that was one of the highlights of our lives that night. To be so close to that band we had loved for so many years was just indescribable! Well, that night I managed to catch Tim's eye several times and he looked very hot to say the least! :heart: He very nearly stole me away from Don and Glenn! Really!

Well, the infatuation was renewed after that and I searched for more info on the guys on the internet. I came across Eaglesfans and One of These Nights sites. I learned that I wasn't the only one to be so infatuated with this band! There were lots of people like me! :shock:

Well, we got to go to another concert in St.Louis the next summer. We were in the 25th row this time, but lots of people moved up towards the end and I joined the crowd and managed to get within 3 rows of the stage right in front of Steuart! Don was also very close when he came out to sing and he just melted my heart that night on Desperado! I was :inlove: once again!

Then, the next summer Don was doing a solo tour that I caught which you can read about in the "Meeting Don" thread! He pretty much had claimed my heart then, but the more I kept up with the message boards and watched Glenn in the Farewell One dvd, I seemed to always be watching Glenn the most and he has now taken over my heart. I think it was one of those old pictures from the early 70's that Soda posted that stole me away for good. Man that guy was hot! The Houston 76 boot completely tore me up! And that hot pink Farewell One shirt gets me, too! And those HFO shots in the Frey Fever thread?........well, I think they might do it the most! :heart:

So, here I am hopelessly devoted to Glenn!

And Don!

And Timmy, once in a while, too! :twisted:

I'm sorry this was so long! :blush:

Freypower
03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
These are fabulous stories.

PLS, I thought you might want to see your 'moment':

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Hell%20Freezes%20Over/Laugh.jpg http://www.ceremuga.com/smilies/angel3.gif

and I know I shouldn't do this but here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Avatars/Longruncover.jpg http://www.ceremuga.com/smilies/smilies2/yummy.gif

timfan
03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
aww I'm lovin' hearing all these stories! and PLS moment is just woweee!! :D

Perfect Little Sister
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Yep! That's the moment. Thanks FP! :D

The Frey-fandom Saga Continues
Once again online with Soda, we talked one another into going out to Pebble Beach in February '06 to watch Glenn golf. We drove two hours to the golf course blasting Frey tunes on the cd player. We screwed up our courage and followed Glenn and his group all over the course...and even managed to get lost while following a map. lol Two painfully shy girls, we were not knocking him down for an autograph. Sweetheart that he is, he realized we were too shy and he approached us. He signed what we had brought with us for that purpose and commented happily on the fact that it was solo stuff. :D Now before we went out there I had heard, "Glenn doesn't care about his fans" as the reason he doesn't do meet and greets, but I was very happy to find that it was all a bunch of hot air. Glenn was a total sweetheart...even worrying about us when the temperature suddenly dropped about 15 degrees making us cold. Chatting briefly with and shaking the hand of the man whose music I so love was just wonderful. It was great to see little snippets of his personality off stage. He is deserving of the admiration he receives. As we drove to and from the golf tournament each day, playing Glenn's music, we talked about how awesome it would be to see him solo. How we would love to see him do his solo songs live. We sighed over our conviction we would never get the chance to do so. Again...HA! Within a few months we started getting news of solo dates. How lucky can two girls get? :laugh: We planned a road trip for July. I flew to Indiana and we drove up to Michigan the next day for the first concert of the "Prelude to Obscurity Tour". Our fandom was fed the minute we walked thru the door and saw he had merchandise for sale. :shock: There was a low stage and we were down close having a blast when IT happened. He walked up to the mic without his guitar and sang "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance". :jawdrop:

I was blown away. The understated instrumentation was like a beautiful frame to show off that amazing voice. Before we even came down from this high we were back on the road on our way to Canada. Then came the ultimate concert experience. I had a seat about 10 rows behind Soda at the first Rama show. The usher showed me to my seat and told me if the seat next to Soda stayed empty I could move up. Then went further and told me when the band started playing I could go stand by the stage...when I saw people moving up I should follow them. :shock: OK! :lol: When I saw people moving up during "Lyin' Eyes" (the second song) I waited for them to be sent back. When they were allowed to stay there you didn't have to hit me upside the head with a brick. lol I high-tailed it to the front and stood/danced more or less at Glenn's feet for the rest of the concert. Talk about having a blast! I guess my joy was obvious judging by the amusement of the rest of the band. lol But, oh man, WHAT a concert! We had so much fun that night and again the next. Glenn is such a great entertainer in addition to being such a great musician. We couldn't wait until the Atlantic City show. We had tickets in the 3rd row, center that upcoming Friday. Unfortunately, on Tuesday I ended up in the hospital with a heart attack. While sitting in the ER waiting for them to figure out what was going on (Doc: "it's not a heart attack...you're too young") I was trying to figure out how to get to AC or at least convince Soda to go without me. When you're on morphine anything seems possible.lol I finally gave up on this as they wheeled me in for surgery. Needless to say we missed the show. :weep: I only got out of the hospital the morning of the concert. A friend of ours took a get well card to one of the crew members we had met and he, in turn, took it backstage for the band to sign. It was so sweet...but once again we had to console ourselves with cds. At the end of September, I had to have heart surgery for the second time due to complicaitons from the original surgery. Wonderful friend that she is, Soda loaded an iPod shuffle with all of Glenn's songs plus a few extras and sent it to me the week before the surgery. Angioplasty and stent placement surgery is done with what they call conscious sedation. You are aware of everything that's going on but they (supposedly) control the pain. I call this the "hurts like hell" method. lol Because I had to remain awake and keep my arms above my head the whole time, I was able to listen to the iPod. Listening to Glenn singing helped me to keep my mind off the pain somewhat...but general anesthesia would have worked better. lol Then just last month we went out to Pebble Beach again. Glenn was sweeter than ever. I just love to watch him with kids. He must be a really great dad! He seemed to enjoy the fact that some of us fans were crazy enough to brave the weather and watch him golf. He played quite well regardless of his comments to the contrary. With his talent he could consider himself above the rest of us, but he doesn't. He's just such a nice, friendly, regular guy. I've not had the pleasure of meeting the other Eagles...but if I should be so lucky, I don't think any of them stand a chance of usurping Glenn. :D

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :wink:

sodascouts
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I love how much detail everyone's going into - thanks again! And PLS, your post sure brings back some happy memories. :: sigh ::

timfan
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
wow PLS that's quite a story! Let me say Glenn is lucky to have a fan like you! :)

DonFan
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I agree, PLS--your story is definitely unique. I am so glad you are healthy enough now to truly enjoy Glenn. :wink:
I bet the man has no idea what he really did to your heart! :shock: :D

glenneaglesfan
03-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Wow, your stories are fantastic, Brooke and PLS. What great reading, thank you! Brooke, it's wonderful that you married your high school sweetheart, and you've both shared your love of the Eagles so much through your lives.

PLS, I loved reading about your 'moment'! I knew about your illness, but how nice that Glenn helped you through your painful surgery. Thank goodness you are back safe and well now.

FP, thank you for those two moments. 8)

Brooke
03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
PLS! My gosh! I'm so glad you are doing ok now! What a cool story! I'm sorry you guys misssed the other concert though. Glenn doesn't know just what he does to us!

Fp, love that moment of yours, too!

I wish Glenn knew what devoted fans he has! 8)

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
What a story PLS. I was so completely envious of you just as I got to the heart attack bit. Then I felt just a little ashamed :blush: I'm really glad Glenn helped you get through what must have been a terrible ordeal. You know, I think he's one of the greatest singer/songwriter/musician/entertainers of all times, right up there and in with the best. But because he is a genuine nice guy who doesn't live the superbrat celebrity lifestyle constantly seeking attention, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

I've enjoyed reading everyones stories on this thread. While obviously they all have a common theme, they are all so unique and everyone has their own special reason for favouring their own particular hero.

Maleah
03-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if everyone has mentioned this with their stories or not. But was there a particular song that you had to hear first....that made you an immediate Eagles/solo member fan? Or at least made you research them more?

I'll add to my story that the first song that grabbed my attention was playing on F1 and it made me look up all the Eagles songs. Oddly enough, it wasn't even a real "Eagles song." At least not originally. It was "Dirty Laundry." 8)

Perfect Little Sister
03-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree, PLS--your story is definitely unique. I am so glad you are healthy enough now to truly enjoy Glenn. :wink:
I bet the man has no idea what he really did to your heart! :shock: :D

The funny thing is....in telling people about ILTWAWD I said, "that song just about did me in". Famous last words. LOL!

glenneaglesfan
03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
For me it was New Kid In Town - just the sudden realisation that there were different soloists for the Eagles, and that NKIT was sung by that guy in the middle of the poster...

Freypower
03-17-2007, 01:32 AM
You can read in my story about my New Kid In Town moment. I liked their songs prior to this but on that one night, I found myself listening so intently that I knew I had found my 'voice'. It was Heartache Tonight that pushed me over the edge before I saw the album cover.

As I was already a fan when the solo careers began I suppose my first favourite was The One You Love and with Don it was Dirty Laundry - but they both came out of prior knowledge.

Brooke
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I have done some research and found out when I became Glennstruck! It was when I saw this picture or one very similar:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Frey/OMG.jpg

And Freypower is to blame! :twisted: I do believe I fainted or lost my breath or something like that! :blush: And I've never been the same since! :lol:

This one takes my breath away every time! :heart:

Edit to add it was in early 2005.

Freypower
03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Brooke, I was just thinking about how much you liked that look when I did some more screenshots of that show. I may post some soon. He was at the side of the stage not even singing at the start of the show. He was obviously itching to get to centre stage where he belongs. Bless. :twisted:

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
He was obviously itching to get to centre stage where he belongs. Bless. :twisted:
Love it!!

And this is the picture that first got me interested - not his best look I admit, but intriguing nonetheless!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/HCinsertGlenn.jpg

Maleah
03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I do have to say.......the first time I noticed that Glenn was QUITE attractive.....was when I watched HFO :shock: :D Then I saw pics from TLR era! :shock: wowzers :D

03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
As I said in my earlier post, I don't think I really paid attention to any of the guys looks until The Long Run. It's hard to recollect exactly though because I do remember 'talk on the street' about the band - how hot they were, and all about their 'sex-capades'. I think the truth is I knew they were hot, but really was more interested in my own 'sex-capades' at the time. Hey - what can I say, I was in my 20's and it was the '70's. As Brooke said earlier in this thread, I should have been a groupie. :P :blush:

Brooke
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh man, this is fabulous! Freypower, thanks so much for remembering my love for BBC. Just thinking about it...... :blush: It's much too early in the morning for me to be looking at these! :twisted:

GEF, yes, Glenn is very intriguing there. Even though he is, ahem, out of his mind, he looks very, very sexy! <gulp>

And dreamer, we've talked about this before. Yep, we must have been twins in another life! :wink: :laugh:

Glennsallnighter
03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Well Brooke, its too late at night for me to be looking at them, but what the hell, they can only entice sweet dreams :zzz:

And GEF, I'd love to know what potent mixture of hallucinogens was in that cigarette! I'd say it was more than just a Marlboro or something :wink:

I suppose the song that really 'Glennstruck' me (to quote Brooke) was Peaceful Easy Feeling. Its hard to put in words, but Glenn and the lads had come out on stage at one of the Dublin gigs. Glenn was in the F1 pink shirt and oozed sex appeal. They had done TIE, but that passed in a blur because I was just staring at him thinking 'where have you been all my life'. Next, as twilight was approaching Timothy did Witchy Woman which in itself was beautiful and haunting, but I still couldn't keep my eyes off Glenn.
Well PEF was next and I felt like he was singing it straight to me (I know that probably sounds silly but at the time its just how I felt). I was just so in love with him by then (and still am). As I said before, my eyes didn't leave him for the rest of the night. The cold that everyone was complaining about including the man himself had just vanished and at that stage I was high. It just did it for me and any time I hear it I'm back there that night! Its also my 3 year old son's favourite (peacy easy feely) so we get a lot of it in the car.
After that night I also decided to revisit some of Glenn's solo work particularly from the 80's and I can say that one of the ones that I love best is 'The One You Love'. I love the sax intro on it and when I listen to it I feel he's nearly talking to me on it. (I know what choice I'd be making too!! :D :D )

Freypower
03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
That's a great story, GA, but Don sings Witchy Woman.

Glennsallnighter
03-23-2007, 05:13 AM
I know, but for some reason Tim actually sang it that night. (I dont know why) and when he finished Glenn did say 'thanks Tim' . Maybe there was some reason that particular night for the change. :?:

Brooke
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
:shock: OMG, Tim sang WW?

Anyway, cool story GA! I love your son's "peacy easy feely"! Cute! :D

glenneaglesfan
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Very cool, GA, and Tim singing WW must have been amazing! I love your son's version!

sodascouts
03-24-2007, 02:07 PM
This is the moment when I realized Glenn was uber-hot:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/hfo104.JPG

What passion!

sodascouts
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
As far as a certain song striking me, it was kind of a group thing - I was listening to the Very Best of the Eagles and song after song, the ones I liked the best were sung by Glenn. So I was won over!

03-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Well Soda - It is certainly understandable how that picture caught your eye.

As for me, there is no one particular song - I love most all of them. However, here is a picture from Oakland where I was captivated by Glenn. I tried make it larger, but it was too fuzzy.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GFJW_Oakland.jpg

Mrs Frey
03-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Hello, Everybody!!! I am new to the Message Board and I would just like to say how wonderful I think it is, not to mention how FANTASTIC I think this website is! It is coming towards the end of my lunchtime - excuse me, let me rephrase: Glenn time - here at work (the only place I have access to this website), and I just wanted to add my 5 seconds worth of comment.

I am in love with Glenn!!! There, I've said it! I've been in love with him for just over a month now, despite the fact that I've been listening to Eagles music for about three and a half years already. I just never SAW them until 11 February 2007, when I viewed HFO at a friend's house. When Glenn sang "The Girl From Yesterday", with so much passion and emotion, I fell in love with him, and the next day, I found this website!

I now have pictures of him on my wall in the office and at home. He has been ruling my heart! :heart:

It is great to be able to share my enthusiasm for Glenn with other fans. I'm sure he would be very flattered to see all the wonderful things everybody says about him, as would the other members of The Eagles to comments about them.

Well, I have to work now - 'till next time!

DonFan
03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome, Mrs. F. You will like it here!

sodascouts
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Mrs. F! Welcome! I'm glad you made it over here. I know you will like it!

Mrs Frey
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks, DF, for the welcome. I'm being very naughty - I'm supposed to be working. But I have Glenn on my mind. He is so gorgeous, and sexy (ooh!) and has such a beautiful voice, both when he is singing and speaking. Then there's the intelligence and sense of humour, not to mention the incredible songwriting abilities. But you all know that already, don't you? :D

My best friend, who is also one of my bandmates, went to see The Eagles in Switzerland towards the end of last year, while he was on business there. I envied him then, but I am positively green with envy now! It is such a pity that us Capetonians see absolutely nothing on television or in the news of The Eagles. Little wonder then that it has taken me so long to discover them, and more specifically, Glenn.

I have Eagles albums, and I have had to order some Glenn albums, as I could not find any in the shops. :cry: I have so enjoyed the videos on the site, and the photographs have been an absolute treat! My favourite is the "Allnighter" photo, where Glenn lies across the bed with closed eyes. I have saved it as my laptop wallpaper! And I have a folder full of Glenn pics. I am a full-blown Glenn addict!

I don't need any rehab for this addiction, though. It is having a positive effect on me. The "Livin' Right" video has made me even more determined to get into better shape - when I am lazy, I watch the video. How's that for inspiration!

Just one question before I sign off: how does one put a picture in the sidebar of one's posts? Please excuse my ignorance - I am a rank amateur when it comes to computer software.

I'll be back tomorrow!

Mrs Frey
03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Just another quick one: thanks for the message, Soda! I'm liking it already!!!

sodascouts
03-26-2007, 10:33 AM
That photo in the sidebar is called an avatar. They should be no larger than 150 px wide and 200 px long. You can upload a photo from your computer using your profile. You can find your own, or I have a few ready-made ones here: Glenn Frey Avatars (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/avatars.htm)

Brooke
03-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome, Mrs. Frey! We're glad to have ya! Once thing for sure there is lots of Eagles/Glenn/Don/Tim/Joe/Randy/Bernie/Don F love going on here! 8)

03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Let me welcome you as well, Mrs. F. Hope you love it here on The Border. You are obviously suffering from the same condition that many of us are. It's becoming an epidemic, and hopefully, there is no cure. :wink: :wink:

Randy's Girl
03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Isn't it called Eaglemania? Or in my case, Randymania? :D or Randyitis, Glennitis or whatever it is we all suffer from. :D

Welcome, Mrs F, join the club!

Glennsallnighter
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Welcome from me too Mrs F! What a cool name! You're a girl after my own heart. As most people on the border realise I'm also a huge Glenn fan. And as far as I can see the addiction is incurable! Hope you enjoy yourself on this site.

Molly
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Welcome, Mrs. Frey. Sounds like you're going to fit right in.

Freypower
03-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Nice to have you here MF. Glenn is certainly 'the melody without a cure'.

SweetHolly
03-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Welcome, welcome, welcome! 8)

Mrs Frey
03-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Thank you so much for your welcomes, Everybody! You are all fantastic. It's Glenn time again (you know, lunchtime), and I've just come off a two-hour meeting here at work, so I've earned my Glenn time. 8)

I've noticed something quite interesting about Glenn's eyes in most of the photos I have seen of him, as well as the videos. I'm sure all of you have picked up on this, and have probably discussed it too, but how is it that Glenn's eyes look brown (and a beautiful brown, too) most of the time, when he has such stunning blue eyes? In the video for "Livin' Right", they look green! Well, and here is another compliment for him, but it just goes to show that whatever the colour of his eyes, they remain incredibly striking.

While I was watching the Richard Jeni and Don Lane interviews (and I've watched them more than once!), I was taken by the way Glenn fixes his gaze at whomever he is speaking to. He also includes everyone in the audience as well as the camera, so that he can address his fans watching. Wow, how I would love to be the subject of his gaze... :smitten:

Can't you hear my heart beating?! :heart:

I love all the videos of Glenn on this site, but I think my hot favourite is the video for "Soul Searchin'". I love the part where he returns home and hugs his "wife" - the passion in the hug and sincerity shown by the closed eyes (oh! help!!! I actually need to do some work after Glenn time). I also enjoy the part in the video for "True Love", where he pulls the young lady up onto the stage, sings to her, then hugs her. How I wish that I could've been chosen to play the girl - only snag would've been that I was 11 years old when the video was made (dang!). But of course, I could dream about it...

Sorry, I'm going on and on (and on...). Thanks, Soda, for the help regarding the avatar. My choice is predictable enough... :rofl:

timfan
03-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Welcome MF! Glad you've joined us! :D

In terms of Glenn's eyes, that is one of his MANY :wink: charms. His eye color appears to be blue, green, brown or hazel depending on the lights :P :)

03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Well MF - You are correct in that this has been a topic discussed often among his hardcore fans. Lighting can do odd things to colors. One theory is that his eyes appear to be a darker color when his pupils are dilated. :wink: :wink: I can tell you for sure that on a rainy or cloudy day on a golf course his eyes are a blueish gray color. Whether or not he was wearing contacts at the time, I'm not sure.

Perfect Little Sister
03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I was standing pretty close to him when he was talking to us and I looked for the tell-tale ring or edge of the contact while he was looking at you guys. I couldn't see anything. But then, I didn't want to get caught staring so intently. :blush:
So perhaps he was wearing them and I just couldn't detect it.

EasyFeeling
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
My favourite is the "Allnighter" photo, where Glenn lies across the bed with closed eyes.

You're right, it's one of my favourite photos too. 8)
Welcome to the board, Mrs. F. :)

sodascouts
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I think his eyes are hazel, and that's why they look to be different colors depending on the lighting and what he's wearing. I will say that when his eyes are BRIGHT blue, as I've seen in the Producers premiere photos, they are indeed contacts. Indeed, because his eyes weren't such a bright blue at Pebble Beach, I don't think they were color contacts. Color contacts tend to be very vivid.

Freypower
03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I've seen too many photos of him now with blue eyes to think that they are any other colour. Because I have no idea whether or not he wears contact lenses, I don't understand why he would wear lenses which are not his natural eye colour. I realise the people at Pebble Beach had a closer look than I ever will, but I can't be convinced his eyes are any other colour than blue.

SweetHolly
03-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Welcome MF! Glad you've joined us! :D

In terms of Glenn's eyes, that is one of his MANY :wink: charms. His eye color appears to be blue, green, brown or hazel depending on the lights :P :)
He's very charming! :D

03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, I have to admit there were a few times that I purposely looked into Glenn's eyes at Pebble Beach precisely for the reason that there has been so much discussion about his eye color. At one point, I was looking intensely at his eyes for a few moments and got a pretty good look. I was looking to see if I could tell if he was wearing contacts, but I couldn't tell. Like PLS, I didn't want him to catch me staring although I think he knew. :shock: As I said before, his eyes looked to be blueish gray - actually more medium gray than blue. They were definately not bright blue. I agree with Soda that they could possibly be hazel meaning they change colors. Also, it is not at all uncommon in the states for people to wear contacts that are different than their natural eye color. I also agree with Soda that in those pictures where his eyes are a vivid shade of blue, he must be wearing contacts. If not, then I guess the only other explanation is the lighting in the pictures. One other thing I noticed is that his eyes are very deepset - even more so than I thought.

SweetHolly
03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
His eyes are beautiful. :D

Glennsallnighter
03-28-2007, 02:07 AM
What a most beautiful topic of conversation! I've never been close enough to Glenn to see into his eyes directly (mores the pity), so I can only go on what you guys who have had that privelige can say. :D

glenneaglesfan
03-28-2007, 06:41 AM
At one point, I was looking intensely at his eyes for a few moments and got a pretty good look.
Just reading this made me sigh deeply!

Welcome to the board, Mrs Frey, from another hopeless addict!
(PS I have your favourite picture on a pillowcase. :blush: )

SweetHolly
03-28-2007, 06:53 AM
At one point, I was looking intensely at his eyes for a few moments and got a pretty good look.

Welcome to the board, Mrs Frey, from another hopeless addict!
(PS I have your favourite picture on a pillowcase. :blush: )
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. :D
and welcome!

Brooke
03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I think Glenn's eyes are a bluish hazel and that the lighting makes all the difference. My hubby has hazel eyes and some days they look bluish, but usually more gray.

Do we really even know that he ever wears contacts? I would imagine that because of his age he might need reading glasses, but it depends. I need them, but my husband has worn glasses since age 15 for distance, but now takes them off to read! :?

My sister has beautiful blue eyes. A few years ago, she got bright blue contacts that made her eyes look wierd, so she had to change them to a natural color, which has a tinge of blue to them. I have brown eyes and my contact has a bluish tinge. Helps to see it! (I only have one for my reading eye!) It doesn't change my eye color, but you can see the bluish tint on my eyeball if you look really close.

My 2 cents! :zzz:

03-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Yeah, GEF - it was definately one of those deep sigh moments! It gave a new meaning to the words "You look in his eyes, the music begins to play!" :guitar: :heart:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay - I'm back now! :wink: :wink:

The only other thing I'll say about this is to clarify what I said about the contacts. I didn't mean to imply that I know Glenn wears contacts. As I said, I couldn't determine whether he was or was not wearing them. I just think that this could be one explanation for the vivid blue eye color that we occasionally see in pictures. JMHO.

SweetHolly
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, GEF - it was definately one of those deep sigh moments! It gave a new meaning to the words "You look in his eyes, the music begins to play!" :guitar: :heart:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay - I'm back now! :wink: :wink:

Good one! Very true! 8) :D

Mrs Frey
03-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Wow, it looks like I started something here (or perhaps I just fanned the smouldering flame :D ). I love your amended lyric to NKIT, Dreamer (look, I'm getting with the abbreviations already :) ).

I reckon Glenn has blue eyes - it was the flash of blue when he opened his eyes for a moment (he does get so intense when he sings - oh!) while singing "The Girl from Yesterday" during HFO that melted my heart - and brought me to this website! Best move I ever made! :D

The man is incredible. I just can't get enough of him or this website. Thank you, Soda - we are all indebted to you! I would never have known anything about Glenn if it hadn't been for you.

And thank you to everyone who posted welcomes to me. You are all so kind!

Perhaps I should start something else :D : in which of Glenn's music videos do you find him the sexiest? I'm struggling to decide at the moment (and of course, I haven't seen them all), but "The Heat Is On" is a close contender, along with "I Found Somebody". That white suit - WOW - my heart can't take it. Only problem with that video is that I get extremely jealous when he kisses that girl... :twisted:

One more thing: GEF, a pillowcase with that sexy "Allnighter" photo, indeed! What do you get up to at night, alone with such a sexy man :rofl: Oh, I'm just jealous. Forgive me.[/i]

sodascouts
03-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Hmm, Mrs. F, I think this topic deserves its own thread!

Click here folks: Glenn's Sexiest Video thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330)

Sexy Girl
05-23-2007, 05:07 AM
So many great and nice and sweet stories here, I read them all.

I was born in 1967, so I was much too young to start listening to the Eagles when 'it all started'. I have to admit they don’t seem to have been popular in Switzerland back in the day – very sad :( .

When I was a teenager I started to listen to rock music, and I liked the Eagles’ music very much. I bought their greatest hits album and also Hotel California, played them over and over again. I asked who had other Eagles albums, so I could record them on cassette tape, as a teenager I didn’t have enough money to buy them all myself.

However the Eagles had disbanded by the time I started to play their music, so I also turned to other music though I kept playing the Eagles albums.
Then ‘The Heat Is On’ came out, I fell in love with that song right away, and I was so surprised to learn it was sung by an ex-Eagle. I had never bothered about their names, and only Don Henley was familiar to me.
With ‘The Heat Is On’ I became interested in Glenn, and I tried to follow his career the best I could – not really easy with the only source for news being music magazines, some of them hard to get.

At least I could buy Glenn’s albums – along with Don Henley’s solo albums that I also like very much.
Things improved a lot after my graduation when I went to the States. I had planned to stay for a limited time only but things didn’t go like I had planned. The downside was that I got married (the downside when I look at it now :? ), the upside was that I had much more access to music and could see a lot more great concerts than in Switzerland or any neighbor country :D .

However it turned out that I didn’t see Glenn first in the US but surprisingly in Germany at the ‘Rock am Ring’ Festival in June 1992. It’s a famous festival, mostly rock, and they always have prestigious names on their list. Oh my, I enjoyed it so much though that is rather a messy place to be, camping and rain included.

I have to make this short now. Only some things I want to add for now. Though my marriage went totally wrong I was fortunate enough with my job which enables me to catch a lot of concerts, the last one being in my former home town Zürich in 2006. Sadly I couldn’t see any of Glenn’s solo shows last year, the latest I went to was the ‘Stars On The Lake’ show in July 2005 in Vegas which blew me away. Wonder how I survived that one, temperatures were around 110, and to see him during soundcheck and the concert made it so much hotter :heart: .

Looks like this year I will suffer from serious withdrawal unless something unexpected happens. I’m so jealous when I read about all you guys who will see Glenn in August :? , but I wish you a lot of fun :D

Mrs Frey
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I’m so jealous when I read about all you guys who will see Glenn in August :? , but I wish you a lot of fun :D

You and me both, SG. And I've never seen Glenn :heart: or the Eagles live in concert! :cry: I live in hope that they will come to South Africa.

glenneaglesfan
05-24-2007, 04:06 AM
That's a great story, SG! Thanks for posting it. Seems like you may have been to more Eagles and Glenn concerts than many of us here. I hope you'll be able to tell us more when you have time.

I'm new to the concert scene. I started enjoying the Eagles mid 70s (being 10 years older than you), and continued to enjoy their music through the 80s and 90s, although their solo careers and subsequent reunion pretty much passed me by. It was only a couple of years ago I rediscovered them, and shortly afterwards realised that Glenn was the one. :smitten: When I heard they were coming to Europe I persuaded hubby to get tickets for Dublin, then became so hooked I bought vastly inflated tickets on eBay for Wembley and Cardiff as well. The guys were all magnificent, but throughout all of these concerts I was completely mesmerised by Mr Frey, and ever since then I have been suffering from PGW.

Maleah
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I’m so jealous when I read about all you guys who will see Glenn in August :? , but I wish you a lot of fun :D

You and me both, SG. And I've never seen Glenn :heart: or the Eagles live in concert! :cry: I live in hope that they will come to South Africa.

Don't feel bad MF.........I haven't seen any of the Eagles either live either :(

Sexy Girl
05-25-2007, 07:51 AM
That's a great story, SG! Thanks for posting it. Seems like you may have been to more Eagles and Glenn concerts than many of us here. I hope you'll be able to tell us more when you have time.

I tried to see at least one concert a year since HFO and after the break till the millennium shows. OK, I admit, after meeting Glenn I became a bit more obsessed :blush: and tried to squeeze in more than one concert a year.

But I see I’m not alone here :D

Wonder how I can manage this year without ANYTHING :shock: That was not very nice of Glenn to announce his solo show dates long AFTER I had booked my vacation flights :?

EasyFeeling
05-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Wonder how I can manage this year without ANYTHING :shock: That was not very nice of Glenn to announce his solo show dates long AFTER I had booked my vacation flights :?

Without anything? :shock: You won't go to any concert this year?
Ok, this is off topic but ... have you ever thought about to go to Keith Urban? :twisted: :twisted: He's a worthy substitute. 8)

Maleah
05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
LOL!!!!!! Nice smooth plug for Keith there EF ;)

SweetHolly
05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
LOL!!!!!! Nice smooth plug for Keith there EF ;)
LOL!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EasyFeeling
05-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist. :rockguitar:

Maleah
05-26-2007, 06:18 PM
of course not! :D I totally understand you know ;)

05-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Gosh - I didn't realize that EF liked Keith so much. :wink: :D

EasyFeeling
05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Gosh - I didn't realize that EF liked Keith so much. :wink: :D

I can't help myself I just love him! :wink: As much as I love the Eagles.

Sexy Girl
05-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Without anything? :shock: You won't go to any concert this year?
Ok, this is off topic but ... have you ever thought about to go to Keith Urban? :twisted: :twisted: He's a worthy substitute. 8)

I will see what’s coming up later in fall, but right now I have to take care of business and can’t plan ahead much. I’ll be on vacation all August and part of September, so it looks like no Glenn for me :weep:

I have a few Keith Urban mp3’s but I don’t like his music so much that I would get a CD or go to a concert. Though I like to listen to random music in my car I’m a little picky when it comes to concerts :wink:

EasyFeeling
05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Ok, but at least I tried it. :wink:

05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
EF, you will never give up when it comes to Glenn or Keith! :D

EasyFeeling
05-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Dreamer, you're absolutely right!!! :twisted: 8) I can be a pain in the neck. :wink:

SweetHolly
05-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Dreamer, you're absolutely right!!! :twisted: 8) I can be a pain in the neck. :wink:
You're cool, EF! You have good taste in music. 8) :wink:

EasyFeeling
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif

05-31-2007, 02:59 PM
No No EF! It's never a pain in the neck when you are talking about hot male singers! :D

EasyFeeling
05-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Does that mean you admit Keith is hot? :twisted: :wink:

SweetHolly
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Does that mean you admit Keith is hot? :twisted: :wink:
I think he's hot. :D :wink:

05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh EF - there is no question about it - I think Keith is very hot! However, I am still not very familiar with his music. I may like it if I would take the time to listen to it, but I am generally not a fan of country music. I know some of you have said his music is borderline country, so I may like it.

EasyFeeling
06-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Dreamer, trust me, I do also not like country music. :wink: If you get the chance you should listen to the live songs.
Ok, this is the wrong thread and I will go to the Keith thread to write more. :wink:

TimothyBFan
06-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks Dreamer for bringing this topic to my attention -but you will all be sorry once I get started...First want to say I just scanned the first couple of pages and LOVED the stories (brings back lots of memories for me also) I do plan on reading the rest also.
DF-your story really touched me! I was close to tears reading it-my father recently died of cancer also-I have said it before here, the Eagles literally helped get me thru it--A LOT of Eagles music was played on many long trips back and forth to my parents home and hospitals, and no matter how horrible it got, they always seemed to make me feel a little better!

I remember hearing my first Eagles song when I was about 10, probably '72 or'73 and it was Take It Easy I believe. I always loved music and it has and always will be a BIG part of my life and has gotten me thru a lot of things in my life, but I remember very well hearing it and thinking WOW-I love that song! That weeks allowance went for the 45 and within a couple of weeks had the Eagles album. From then on it was Eagles this and Eagles that, not any one of the guys either. I was also a Led head/Jimmy Page fan, still am. I also remember a couple years later another band I heard that I have also retained a love for and that was Sweet, I am a member of that board also. For those of you here in the US, you probably don't know much about them other than "Ballroom Blitz", Fox On The Run" or "Little Willy" (that song made my life miserable in the 4th grade), but those of you overseas, the UK, probably remember them quite well. At that point in my life I was on a mission to find everything I could about the Eagles and Sweet. Not very easy with Sweet in the USA so I think that is why the Eagles took over in my life!

I remember the day my cousin called, I believe in '74 or '75, and told me the Eagles were coming to town and we were going. I was so excited till my parents informed me that at the age of 12 I was to young to go to a rock concert. Some of you have heard this story before but for those of you that haven't, 6 months after that they let me go to an Aerosmith, AC/DC concert. They were completely clueless!

Another real memory for me is when Bernie left and Joe entered. That is when I found myself liking one member more than the others. I thought Joe was it!!! I turned my cousin onto his solo stuff and I remember a vacation to a theme park with her parents that we played "Life's Been Good" over and over again until they finally made us turn it off! Then when Randy left and Timothy joined --oh my God-I was lost!!! I literally bought 3 copies of Long Run because I played I Cant Tell You Why so many times that the albums would start skipping there so I would have to go buy a new one! I was so upset when they broke up because he had just joined and I felt I had been really cheated. I followed all of their solo stuff in the 80's but nothing quite compared to them all together!!

Enter the 80's--Yikes!!! Still played the Eagles but also fell into the Hair Band phase. Lots of Guns N Roses and Skid Row. Sorry if that makes anyone sick. Still big Guns fan and will listen to Hair Bands any time!! What can I say-I am very versatile in my music taste. By this time all my Eagles albums had turned into cds. My husband and I were married in '88 and fortunately he liked the Eagles and Zeppelin so I kept him. We started our family in '90 and of course that took over. Fortunately, my daughter has become a big fan also and we very often hear her Ipod playing an Eagles tune. My son admitted the other day that he is kinda getting into the 70s glam rock thing and would like to hear some of my Sweet stuff-so maybe there is hope for teenagers after all!! At least the ones that grew up listening to the music in my house!!!

I remember one night mid 90s sitting in the living room flipping channels and sitting straight up off the couch when PBS came on because there in front of me again were the Eagles!! They were showing HFO and I went crazy! I went out shortly after that and bought the cd and dvd. And it kinda started all over again. Same thing with Farewell! I was back to buying cds and dvds again. Was excited when Selected Works came out but like my husband said "how many cd's do you have to have the same songs over and over on".

Was very excited when they started touring again in '04 and bought tickets for a show close (only $35.00 believe it or not!) but 3 days before the show, my father was diagnosed with cancer once again and this time terminal. Needless to say, I didn't feel much like celebrating with a concert, so once again missed a concert and gave the tickets to my niece and her husband. He made it thru it again and then in June of '07 was diagnosed again terminally and only given 2 weeks to 2 months to live-he made it 6 months. Thru each of his illnesses I was making trips back and forth (my parents live 45 minutes one way away from us and my mother doesn't drive) so many many hours of Eagles, I am surprised that I haven't had to replace them all after wearing them out. My husband bought me an Ipod for Christmas so I no longer have to take stacks of them.

As many of you know, my husband and I will be celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss in October and he decided there was nothing that I would like more than Eagles tickets and a night in Chicago. I posted it before but will again, I told my husband I wished I knew what hotel they would be staying in and always quick on his toes he says "I was kinda hoping you would be going back to the hotel with me that night!" What a smart *ss he is!! We bought the tickets off ebay for the Chicago show Sept 24th a couple of days ago. Come hell or high water- I plan on finally seeing them!!! And God help Timothy if I get anywhere close to him!!!! My poor Larry might regret the day he told me he was taking me to finally see them.

Brooke
06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
What a great story, TBF! I enjoyed reading it. Not sorry at all! :wink:

I'm so glad you are finally getting to see America's greatest band! :D

Mrs Frey
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Awww, what a wonderful story, TBF! I loved reading it! :D I loved the bit about "keeping" your husband when you discovered he was also into the Eagles and Led Zeppelin! :lol:

As I said before in another thread, I hope your dream comes true this time. You've been through a lot, and you deserve it! You GO girl! I hope Timothy gets to see you!

06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
TBF – thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was awesome. I just love reading these because even though we all share a common love for this band, each of us arrived here in a totally unique way. We are all rooting for you to get to that the show in Chicago. And maybe you can make a deal with hubby over the hotel thing. :D :wink: :D

sodascouts
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
That was a great read, TBF. It really is wonderful how the Eagles music can help us get through rough times (so sorry to hear about your dad) and bring people together from all over the world.

Also, it's terrific that finally, you and your hubby can get to see the guys live!

DonFan
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, TBF, and for your sweet comments about mine. I am sorry you lost your father too--the loss leaves a hole in your heart that will never be filled--but music definitely eases the sorrow and brings back the joy!

I am so glad you are finally going to have your first-time live Eagles experience. I know it will be fabulous!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 03:06 AM
Well they were my mom's favorite band according to my family i was probaly singing Hotel California in the womb. Their tape was always in the car and i knew every word wheni was like 3. When i was about 5 i still like them but had moved on. Then when i was about ten i started guitar and my first song was Hotel California. From then on thats about all i listen to. And my favorite was Don since i was little i had a poster of him on my wall forever. and The Eagles were my first vinyl buy along with a Joe Walsh and A Don Henley album. My friends think im razy but i can't help it i just love them.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Well they were my mom's favorite band according to my family i was probaly singing Hotel California in the womb. Their tape was always in the car and i knew every word wheni was like 3. When i was about 5 i still like them but had moved on. Then when i was about ten i started guitar and my first song was Hotel California. From then on thats about all i listen to. And my favorite was Don since i was little i had a poster of him on my wall forever. and The Eagles were my first vinyl buy along with a Joe Walsh and A Don Henley album. My friends think im razy but i can't help it i just love them.

I know actually where you are talking about!

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 06:44 AM
It sounds crazy, but actually I'm raised with the Eagles. My mom owned the vinyl of Hotel California and Their Greatest Hits '71 - '75 and she has them at tape, so when I was a baby I always hear Hotel California and Desperado.
I was 6 and I notice the Eagles at our local radio station and asked who was singin', my dad said it was Glenn Frey. At 10 (we didn't had a computer earlier) I googled the Eagles and saw Glenn Frey, and found some songs of him and the Eagles. A few months later I searched again and found The Boys Of Summer and I found Don Henley, and I liked Don.
My first Eagles song was Hotel California.
My first Glenn song was Long Hot Summer
My first Don song was The Boys Of Summer

And Don become more special to me and I bought all his albums and dvd's and yeah I'm still a huge fan of Donnie and I always will be. :iloveyou:

The Eagles changed my life, but Don Henley really changed my life and he means a lot to me.

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Your Mom has good taste, GOS!

I collect vinyl albums of my favorites, too. In fact, I had several vinyl albums that I'd collected before I had a working record player (mine had broken back in 1993 and I never bothered to replace it until I started collecting vinyl). After I got a working record player again, I thought, "Well, the sound quality on these kind of sucks," but it was cool to have them anyway - especially since some things, like the Buckingham Nicks album and the Longbranch Pennywhistle album, are not yet available on CD.

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
MH - I see your parents have good taste, too. :)

Like you, I used internet sites to fuel my fandom, and then I turned around and made my own! The internet is a great thing for fans.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:09 AM
MH - I see your parents have good taste, too. :)

Like you, I used internet sites to fuel my fandom, and then I turned around and made my own! The internet is a great thing for fans.

Yes it is indeed!

Talking about vinyl, in a local electronic store here I found a huge collections of vinyl, in the middle of the cd's and oh yes with the Eagles in their collection! So I'm saving money now to buy the Eagles. :)

rcknalwys
07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm working on building my vinyl collection back up also. I just got 15(!) Poco lps from eBay. I have also replaced my Eagles collection. As I've mentioned, I'm hoping to move soon and when I do, I plan to display them....any one have a suggestion on a way to do that?

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm working on building my vinyl collection back up also. I just got 15(!) Poco lps from eBay. I have also replaced my Eagles collection. As I've mentioned, I'm hoping to move soon and when I do, I plan to display them....any one have a suggestion on a way to do that?

Wow 15! You go! :D Amazing!
Uh, I have no idea right now, but if I know something I'll let you know!!

07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
GOS and MH - Thanks for sharing the stories of your Eagles fandom with us. It is amazing how many young people love this band. They apparently still haven't lost their mass appeal that they had back in the '70's. I have an 11 year old niece (a.k.a. Eaglelette) who just loves the band. Her favorite is Joe. Anyway, it's great that this is a band for all ages. Talk about timeless music - seriously. :wink:

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I heard Already Gone at the shopping center down the hill from campus yesterday, and saw an undergraduate tapping along with the beat. So many of their songs, with a few exceptions, don't sound dated at all. I bet if I'd asked that kid, "What decade is this from?" that he wouldn't know for sure.

Brooke
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM

I have 2 of my old vinyls in frames (Hotel California and Eagles Greatest Hits) and are hanging on a wall in our home office. I plan to frame all of them. I also have my Don autographs and my picture with Don framed in the same room. I like it and am going to paint the room to blend with the HC cover. It is slowly becoming our Eagles tribute office!

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I have 2 of my old vinyls in frames (Hotel California and Eagles Greatest Hits) and are hanging on a wall in our home office. I plan to frame all of them. I also have my Don autographs and my picture with Don framed in the same room. I like it and am going to paint the room to blend with the HC cover. It is slowly becoming our Eagles tribute office!

When it's finished show us pictures! :D

Brooke
07-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Ok! :D

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Thats Cool i have a framed Hotel California record on my wall. theres a record store about 20min from me and i can get any album for $3.00 so i bought 2 HC albums.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Ok! :D

:D

DonFan
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Brooke, my home office sounds like yours.

I have a ton of framed Eagles-related pictures on my walls, including my picture with Don; a collage of Don-Stevie pictures framed around my 45 of Leather & Lace; my autographed golf ball from Glenn Frey; my Randy Tuten Eagles poster; my poster of the triple-bill Dallas concert last year featuring Don, the Stray Cats and the Pretenders; and my framed Hotel California record with Joe Walsh's signature on it from the M&G in May in Atlanta.

Now you know where I draw all my inspiration!

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
My grandfather painted the cover of Hotel California as a birthday present for me, he didn't use the same colors but it's very cool!

I want to paint my door with the cover of Long Road Out Of Eden, but first I need a new door, haha.

I have my mother Eagles vinyl at the wall in a list, and the poster who's inside the Hotel California lp also, but I WANT MORE DONNIE!!!! :(

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
My grandfather painted the cover of Hotel California as a birthday present for me, he didn't use the same colors but it's very cool!

I want to paint my door with the cover of Long Road Out Of Eden, but first I need a new door, haha.

I have my mother Eagles vinyl at the wall in a list, and the poster who's inside the Hotel California lp also, but I WANT MORE DONNIE!!!! :(

Thats amazing I have the poster from Eagles Live and the RS Album in a frame i got for my bday from all posters

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Thats amazing I have the poster from Eagles Live and the RS Album in a frame i got for my bday from all posters

Cool!
I have made a kind of Don Henley poster by myself, but I'll search at eBay for a lot more Don/Eagles posters

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah me too and shirts i need t-shirts

Brooke
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM

I have a ton of framed Eagles-related pictures on my walls, including my picture with Don; a collage of Don-Stevie pictures framed around my 45 of Leather & Lace; my autographed golf ball from Glenn Frey; my Randy Tuten Eagles poster; my poster of the triple-bill Dallas concert last year featuring Don, the Stray Cats and the Pretenders; and my framed Hotel California record with Joe Walsh's signature on it from the M&G in May in Atlanta.

Sounds very cool, DF. I'm just getting started! :D

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 07:28 AM
yeah me too and shirts i need t-shirts

Me too! I just only have two of them :(
FW1 Europe and LROE Europe.

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM

That's fabulous DF! :D

Oh I forgot my Timmy signature at my wall :lol:

sodascouts
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I've been given as gifts those framed singles from "Past and Presents" - one for The Eagles and one for Fleetwood Mac. They hang on the wall across from me. A Fleetwood Mac poster I got from the same store also hangs on the wall, but behind my computer area.

One day, I want to frame my signed stuff - the Longbranch Pennywhistle album with Glenn's sig, the photograph with Glenn's sig, the Buckingham Nicks album with Lindsey Buckingham's sig, the Under the Skin CD cover with Lindsey's sig, the Dance CD cover with Stevie Nicks' and Mick Fleetwood's sig... but I'll wait until I get a nicer place to find wall space for those! As for the golf ball with Glenn's sig and the yearbook with Stevie's sig, I don't know how to display those.

I am also hesitant to display the BN album because I'd like to get Stevie's signature on that first, personalized. Lindsey for some reason never personalizes, but he'll sign CDs if you wait for him at the stage door (there's usually about a dozen people waiting for him). If the group is too big he'll hurry past, though! He actually reached down and signed stuff from the stage at the end of Fleetwood Mac concerts. Stevie doesn't sign stuff anymore though - both my signatures are from 2001 - so my dream about getting the BN album signed and personalized by Stevie might never come to fruition. There's something about seeing "To Nancy" on there that makes it more special, besides the fact that it proves you didn't get it off Ebay! lol

I have also thought that if JD Souther ever comes near me, I'll try to get him to sign my Longbranch Pennywhistle album too. Wouldn't he be surprised to see that! lol

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I've been given as gifts those framed singles from "Past and Presents" - one for The Eagles and one for Fleetwood Mac. They hang on the wall across from me. A Fleetwood Mac poster I got from the same store also hangs on the wall, but behind my computer area.

One day, I want to frame my signed stuff - the Longbranch Pennywhistle album with Glenn's sig, the photograph with Glenn's sig, the Buckingham Nicks album with Lindsey Buckingham's sig, the Under the Skin CD cover with Lindsey's sig, the Dance CD cover with Stevie Nicks' and Mick Fleetwood's sig... but I'll wait until I get a nicer place to find wall space for those! As for the golf ball with Glenn's sig and the yearbook with Stevie's sig, I don't know how to display those.

I am also hesitant to display the BN album because I'd like to get Stevie's signature on that first, personalized. Lindsey for some reason never personalizes, but he'll sign CDs if you wait for him at the stage door (there's usually about a dozen people waiting for him). If the group is too big he'll hurry past, though! He actually reached down and signed stuff from the stage at the end of Fleetwood Mac concerts. Stevie doesn't sign stuff anymore though - both my signatures are from 2001 - so my dream about getting the BN album signed and personalized by Stevie might never come to fruition. There's something about seeing "To Nancy" on there that makes it more special, besides the fact that it proves you didn't get it off Ebay! lol

I have also thought that if JD Souther ever comes near me, I'll try to get him to sign my Longbranch Pennywhistle album too. Wouldn't he be surprised to see that! lol

JD would love it!!

Aaaah I want Glenn's sign and Stevie's OMG I'm so jealous Soda!!
Really amazing that you have them!!!! :jealous: lol

DonFan
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Soda, I bought a shadowbox at the local frame shop for my autographed golf ball. I printed out a pic of Glenn and placed it in the frame behind the golf ball.

Brooke
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Good idea, DF.

Wow, Soda. You do have lots of autographs! 8)

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Great idea DF!

TimothyBFan
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Nancy, once again I am in complete AWE of you!!! And green with envy! I hope you sometime in the future get that evasive JD Souther autograph and Stevie's autograph on your BN album.

sodascouts
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Soda, I bought a shadowbox at the local frame shop for my autographed golf ball. I printed out a pic of Glenn and placed it in the frame behind the golf ball.

Hmm, good idea!

sodascouts
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Nancy, once again I am in complete AWE of you!!! And green with envy! I hope you sometime in the future get that evasive JD Souther autograph and Stevie's autograph on your BN album.

Thanks! Nothing to be too awed about though - we're just lucky we're fans of people who are cool enough to give autographs to fans!

Mrs Henley
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Thanks! Nothing to be too awed about though - we're just lucky we're fans of people who are cool enough to give autographs to fans!

That's so true!

TimothyBFan
07-09-2008, 12:27 PM

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

Littlemelly9
09-02-2008, 02:58 AM
I Saw Them on The CMA or was it the ACM I Don't remember but I was
really into that song "How Long" and when I Saw each of The Band
members I Thay each looked Like people I in my School so I wanted To
Find out more about Them!!!!

Ahadi:eyebrow:

Glennsallnighter
09-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Welome LM. How Long is a great song and they performed it very well at the CMA's. Hope you find out loads here!!

Littlemelly9
09-02-2008, 07:31 AM
I Know a bunch of stuff about them already an Thanks For Welcoming me
hey does any body Know What Glenn's middle name is?

5Ahadi:eyebrow:

Glennsallnighter
09-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Lewis.

Glenn :heart: Lewis Frey

glenneaglesfan
09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Welcome to The Border, LM! Did you see the Eagles live at the CMAs, or on telly? They even showed it over in the UK, so I have that performance archived on a dvd! You sound lucky if you have people who look like the Eagles at your school!

GA, why do you think my favourite mug is from the Isle of Lewis? 8-) (Well, second favourite after the Eagles mug Soda gave me!)

sodascouts
09-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome, LittleMelly! Your school sounds like a great one! ;)

Littlemelly9
09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks glennsallnighter for the info and I saw Them on T.V I MADE
SURE I DID NOT MISS THAT!!!!
I Love alex he reminds me of Donnie!!!

TimothyBFan
12-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Since we have had so many new members lately, I thought it would be interesting to revive this thread and maybe hear some new stories from new members of how they became fans and ultimately found their ways here at the Border. Hopefully we will get some takers willing to tell their stories!!:)

Glennsallnighter
12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Great idea Willie! I'd love to hear about everyone elses Eagle experiences.

MikeA
12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I'll bite. I was in Dallas back in 1969, on my own and having a blast with no responsibilities other than seeing that my car payment was made, my appartment lease paid, and enough for a Jack 'n the Box taco every once in a while.

I was "underage" but knew a couple of clubs that didn't check ID's too closely ("The Fog" and "The Rickshaw Club"). Every weekend was a party!

The popular music of the day was pretty cut and dried. If you were in Fort Worth, it was Country mostly. If you were in Dallas, it was either Soul or Psychedelic. The "Fog" was pretty cool. Before 1am, it was Soul since that seemed to be the prefence of those who were there legally. But at 1am they quit serving booze and opened the doors to kids 18 and over and when they did that, they switched bands and brought in the music such as was played by Strawberry Alarm Clock and Jefferson Airplane, The Doors and other heavy bands.

But you couldn't stay in the clubs 24 straight hours over the weekends so we found other things to do until "party time" on Saturday night!. One of those passtimes was to be found at a "Head Shop / Botique" whose name I can't recall right now (it was something like the Purple Onion or something weird like that (edited....I REMEMBERED IT: "Black Narcisis"). They had a patio out back with speakers piping music from the set list picked by the folks running the shop...all hippies and all cool. They played NO Top-40 music. Usually, the music you heard was from recordings of groups most people had never heard of before! And that was the primary topic of conversation....these unheard of bands.

One afternoon, I still recall clearly a song came on that seemed to play forever and had some of the most amazing guitar licks in! I ran inside to find out who was playing and what the name of the song was. They told me it was a new group out of Cleveland or Columbus...the weren't sure but the name of the group was "The James Gang" and the song was "STOP!"

From that point on, I was freaked about the Guitarist, Joe Walsh. I followed him almost religiously as he released albums with the Gang. I was broken hearted when he left the Gang but then Barnstorm formed and it was Walsh back better than ever. And then solo works.

I'd listened to the Eagles through all that but they were almost too country for me. I did like some of Desperado, and then really liked several cuts off of their early albums, but was not rabid to go out and buy one before the glue on the labels had dried!

But in 1976 when I heard that Walsh was going to join the Eagles, all of that changed. I've been a loyal Eagles fan since that point.

Peekaboo
01-03-2009, 12:31 AM
I've mentioned before on other threads that i give credit to my mother for getting me into the Eagles. I had always known their songs growing up from listening to them with my mom. I can remember her playing the HFO video loud while we would be cleaning the house together or whenever we would be in the car together she would be playing their tapes. I didn't get completely captivated with their music until I saw the commercials for the Very Best Of cd that came out in 2003. After I bought the cd, I listened to it just once and thought "Yes, this is some great music." From that moment on I was hooked. And it was just a bonus that i was awestruck by the voice of one Mr. Henley...and his looks aren't too bad either.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
I was in high school trying to figure out how I was going to pay for college. In my junior year, at age 17, I started driving to school and every morning and every afternoon I would listen to a few of the local pop stations on my old Ford Falcon's AM radio. I heard the songs time and time again. There was Take It easy, Already Gone, Tequila Sunrise, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling (My favorite), and James Dean. It didn't take long before I knew the words to them all. I would sing along on my many trips to and from school and work.

I was also learning to play the guitar and was "in" to all of the really good guiatar players then, Joe Walsh being among them. What a lot of people do not realize is that the Eagles have become a part of our American culture. I would love to see them perform at the Super Bowl or on the Mall in DC on July 4.

The Eagles received so much air play in Philadelphia that even if you knew nothing about the band, you still knew their music.

Later when Joe Walsh joined them I was hooked. At the time I would consider myself a serious student of music (all kinds). I started to get into Don Henley's music (he is a true musical genius) and Glenn Frey in the 80's around the time of Miami Vice. I couldn't get enough of Smuggler's Blues. When I first heard "I Can't Tell You Why" I thought it was Carole King. I was amazed to find out it was an Eagles Song. TBS is that good. Like Glenn Frey said, "He is the ribbon on the package."

I didn't become successful until I was in my late 30's, so I didn't have the resources to go to a lot of shows. I was busy raising a son and taking care of a family.

But now the son is a college graduate and I am at a point in life where I get to "smell the roses" a little bit. I had to wait a stretch before they cam thru our area, but every time the Eagles came thru, my wife and I were there. It was very gratifying to see Joe Walsh perform live. We are very fortunate to have attended three shows in 08 and to have seen Don Henley solo in 07.

I repeat, the Eagleas are a part of our American culture, every bit as much as the Beach Boys. I hope all of the Border members in Europe and the Pacific Rim enjoy the upcoming shows. After seeing them three times, I can tell you with certainty they have never been better. I would even go as far as saying I am a little envious of you all knowing your concert experiences are still ahead of you as mine are fading into memory. Enjoy every minute of it.:thumbsup:

eaglesvet
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Mine is not too exciting. Back in the day when bigger was better when it came to buying stereo systems, I remember going into a "stereo store" with my parents to purchase my first system in 8th grade in 1975. Stereo stores would have acoustically-enhanced rooms where you could play all the different components you were considering, and test out their sounds before making your purchase. Nothing like buying the thinnest I-Pod today, and then getting a light-up I-Dog like my 9-yr-old Graham has! Anyway, for my birthday my parents bought me a receiver, turntable, and 2 large speakers...so I was all set! And the next thing I did was buy my first 3 albums: Bruce's Born to Run, the Eagles One of these Nights, and Chicago VIII. Along the way, Chicago dropped out of my radar completely; but as you all know, the other 2 musical groups are ranked as high on my list now as they were back then! :band:

eaglesvet
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh, as far as specific Eagle, I would have to say it was at the HFO concert at the Meadowlands. We were actually on the floor level, but quite a ways back--maybe mid-arena or farther, so nothing to write home (or on the Border) about. But, once I laid eyes on Glenn, it was all over for me. They all looked hot, but he was :smokin: !

fred
01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
The first time was in 1977-Hotel California, I was 15 years old.
Than i bought all the albums they made, Till the last-The Long Road Out Of Eden, And this Year i go to the concert for the first time in my live, What a shame.
But i can say that i´am very happy to see them once live.

eaglesvet
01-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Fred, what city did you wind up getting tickets to?

fred
01-18-2009, 09:10 AM
The City Arnhem, In the Netherlands. :partytime:

jdubfan
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Thought I'd throw my .02 in. I haven't had a chance to read all of the others' stories, but mine is probably pretty weird.
I really can't remember not being a Joe fan. I was 7 yo in the spring of '69 when my (much older) big bro joined the Marines and left for Vietnam. I idolized him, always followed him around, was the usual lil sis pest. He was a big influence on me in many ways. He loved music, I loved music. You know the deal. And I always thought he looked like Joe. I was old enough to know this was a scary deal. So, when my other (also much older-I like to remind them of that every chance I get.) brother left for college the next fall, I stole the James Gang Rides Again album they shared, because I honestly thought it was a picture of my brother. My brother also had a bike, leathers, etc. I really missed him and didn't want to lose his "picture". I played that album everyday on a little pink plastic record player that I had. I still have the album, but haven't open the jacket in years. I'm sure it's in great shape. I then really got into Joe's music myself and saved allowance, did chores, begged, borrowed, etc. to get anything new Joe put out.
As I got older I really got into rock-n-roll, especially the Eagles. My home town of Elkhart, IN is known as the "Band Instrument Capitol of the US". When I was growing up, there was a garage band in every block. All the kids who were cool would do covers of their stuff and lots of other great groups. I'd ride around on my bike nearly every night and listen to all the great music. My family is very musical, and I was a "Band Geek" all thru school. I play sax, and my big debut at age 15 was Seger's Turn the Page. I was hooked! I was absolutely gonna be a rocker! Yeah, right. I forgot about the talent part...or the lack thereof...
My Joe addiction continued. I was in college in the early '80s and as a desperately poor college student, I sold plasma at the blood bank to pay for a ticket to see him and Stevie Nicks in Indy....anything for the "cause". Then I moved out to Colorado for awhile. Then my Dad got sick and I moved back to Indiana. Then I got married. Then I got divorced. The ordinary, average life. Ups, downs, some really big, life changing events. But one thing has been constant in my life, and that's my love of Joe and the Eagles. Finally last September, all the energies of the universe finally aligned, and I got to see the Eagles in person. Not only that, I got to meet my long-time hero, Joe. He's so great to his fans, and I appreciated his m&g more than he'll ever know. There was no way I could relate to him what he has meant to me all these years....it's kinda cool it took so long, tho. Our paths have been similar in some ways, and I appreciated meeting him more now.
Thanks Joe:thumbsup:

My bro ~'72.

Prettymaid
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Great story, Deb. Any chance we'll ever get to hear the one about your meet n' greet with Joe?

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Oh, as far as specific Eagle, I would have to say it was at the HFO concert at the Meadowlands. We were actually on the floor level, but quite a ways back--maybe mid-arena or farther, so nothing to write home (or on the Border) about. But, once I laid eyes on Glenn, it was all over for me. They all looked hot, but he was :smokin: !

I know that feeling Evie!! Been there!! There is something about Glenn :heart: Isn't there?

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Thats a wonderful story Deb. Your Brother has more than a passing resemblance to Joe as well. How great that you managed to meet your idol as well.

TimothyBFan
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Loved your story Deb!

Peekaboo
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
The pics of Joe and Deb's brother didn't show up for me :headscratch:

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
It didn't for me either :headshake:

Prettymaid
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Me neither at first, but when I got out and went back in they were there. Striking resemblance!

Peekaboo
01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks PM!! I can see them now. And I agree, they do look alike.

sodascouts
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the story, Deb. I'm so glad you finally got to see the Eagles and meet Joe! Did you share your story with him?

Stars
01-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Great story, Deb! Please do tell us about that meet and greet with Joe! Did you chat with him a bit?

01-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I also really enjoyed your story, Deb. I'm so glad for you that you had the opportunity to meet Joe. I know how much of a thrill that must have been for you.

jdubfan
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
My Joe m&g was a highlight of a lifetime, but such a typical event for me. I can't do peaceful easy, there always has to be trauma and drama. I'd been notified about a month before that I had been "picked", but long story short, I didn't get the "official info" until 3:30 the afternoon of the show. My directions are to be at the arena by 5:15 or I won't get in. And I'm at my friend's house 2 hrs away from Chicago. So we busted a$$ to Chi, only to get stuck in traffic. I'm so freaked out, I'm ready to bail and hoof it. But finally we get to the arena and...nothing is going on, no traffic, people, nothing. We find a guy who says they open at 5:15. My watch which says 5:45. wth? One minor thing...we forgot about the time change :fear: I wasn't going to miss it, I was one relieved puppy. :partytime: So we went down to the Billy Goat for cheezborges of the John Belushi SNL skit fame, complete with a stuffed goat and a Belushi tribute corner. I applied some spackle and tried hair repair in the ladies room, we'd left in such a hurry I didn't even get to change clothes.
Back at the arena, we look for the signs that were to guide us. No signs. Security, willcall, nobody knows where we go. There's one access door and it's locked. Back up goes the blood pressure. That finally gets figured out, we get approved, checked in and seated, ready to meet Joe about 6:30. We get a nice bunch of swag, with snacks, pop and water. Very nice. There's a list of things to do/not do with Joe that gets told to us a couple times. Then, in bounces Joe. He immediately covers his face with both hands, shakes his head and makes a growling noise. He peeks thru his fingers and says "Wow, there's a lot of you." The guy that's gonna be playing in front of 20K people in a little while seems as nervous as I am, I thought that was very sweet of him :). He changes how he wants things done, he'll come meet us then come around again and sign stuff. My friend is before me and has the deer in the headlights look, all that comes out is "Oh Sh!t, I can't remember", which makes Joe laugh pretty hard. He says "You'll have that". Then suddenly, he's extending his hand to me with a small smile. I just about lost it too. I grab his hand and it was like an electrical charge hit me. Everything I had worked on to say was gone. So, I smile and said "I can't think of anything you haven't heard a million times. Just thank you for all the music and lyrics and shows. You're the best." Pretty smooth. Joe thanks me. Shoulda stopped there, but nooo. "And thanks for providing the groove to my very fun but very mis-spent youth." His whole face immediately really sad look. He threw his head back with an "Oh" and then back forward with another "Oh", grabbed both my hands and leans in until we're forehead to forehead and whispers "I hope I didn't mess you up too bad."
This must be the "life passing before your eyes" thing people go thru when they die. Time slowed and millions of thoughts went round my head. His eyes twinkled like gold sparklers, he smelled really good, his hair looked like cotton candy and I wanted to touch it really bad, his hands were huge, soft and warm. It had to be just a second but I said "OH NO. I wouldn't be who I am without it. I had a blast, and I'm fine." (Little does he know, indeed:hilarious:) He says "Good, I'm glad" and lets my hands go, and goes on to the next guy. In my head, I'm screaming HOLY CRAP, Joe freakin' Walsh was just against my freakin' forehead!! When he comes back around to sign my poster. He says "Oh, Confessor, that's old." I told him I'd had it for a long time and never dreamed I'd get to have it signed. He took his time and was very careful with his sig. Handed it back and said "Well, there ya go." I thanked him for taking so much time with us. He said "Pleasure's all mine." Then he stood in the middle of us for some Q n A, said how he thought the tour was going, and said many times how greatful they all were for the fanbase they had. He took so much time and made an effort to have a real one-on-one connection with each of us. I thought it was tremendous. Nice to know my hero's a nice guy.
Thanks.

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Awww Joe is such a sweetheart.

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow. What a great story!

Deb, I think I remember you from the JWFC fan board.

I'm very glad it worked out for you. A special moment to treasure forever!

TimothyBFan
01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the story Deb! It made me very happy to hear about how much time he spent with you and how it must have made you feel. Wonderful!!!

Freypower
01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Good heavens, Deb. What a fantastic read. You described that very well indeed. :drool:

Prettymaid
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
This must be the "life passing before your eyes" thing people go thru when they die. Time slowed and millions of thoughts went round my head. His eyes twinkled like gold sparklers, he smelled really good, his hair looked like cotton candy and I wanted to touch it really bad, his hands were huge, soft and warm.

WOW jdub, what a paragraph! I was right there with you in that room for a second!

jdubfan
01-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I forgot that we also got to have group pics taken with him. That was cool too. I have to admit those moments have been replayed in my mind about a bazillion times. I can picture myself as the old lady in the nursing home when I remember that time, I'll have a secret little smile that'll make people wonder what I'm up to....
I just wish I hadn't made the mis-spent youth comment. His reaction surprised me, it really seemed to impact him. But, it's not like he remembers it.

Koala
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I knew first single members (and theirs Songs, these were Don Henley and Glenn Frey) from the Eagles befor I knew the band.
The songs of Don Henley and Glenn Frey I heard / saw for the first time on MTV.
boys of summer, Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough, The Heat is on Part of me Part of you and Belong in the City
were some time my favorite songs at the 80s, start 90s!

For the first time I also heard / saw the Eagles on MTV 1994,
it was the Hell freeze over concert.
This was also my first CD from the Eagles too.
Some time I have the eagles then not heard. I don´t know why!
For 5-6 years I hear regularly the eagles again and since 2007 I am full in the eaglefever!
So this was already my short Eagleshistory, as I became a fan!
I hope my english it´s not too bad and can understand it.

Prettymaid
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I understand very well, Koala - I'm full in the eaglefever too!

sodascouts
02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Koala, your story is very similar to mine! I also knew their solo songs first and first encountered the Eagles through Hell Freezes Over, but did not become a superfan until 2005. Now I am also in the EagleFever! ;)

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I understand you perfectly too Koala. And I LOVE the phrase 'Eaglefever'. I always was aware of and loved all the Eagles songs as well. It took a live gig in 2006 to make me a superfan. Helped in no small way by Mr Frey!! :inlove:

TimothyBFan
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I vote we add "Eaglefever" to our ever growing Eaglese dictionary!:thumbsup:

Welcome Koala--glad to have you here. Post often!

Koala
02-03-2009, 11:13 AM
"Eagelfever" was to be expressed for me the best word over like very much I this group likes!

Thanks!
I intend that!

Glennhoney
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I was a teenager in the 70's so I definately grew up with the Eagles songs. I remember "Heartache tonight" being THE song at my high school prom, that everybody danced to....and crying everytime I heard "New kid in town", since my then boyfriend left me for the "new kid" in our town...aahh...teenage years...I sort of lost touch with them during the 80's..of course, I knew Glenn and Don's solo songs, but somehow did not pay much attention to them...and like any other Eagles' fan, I was extremely excited when "Hell freezes over" tour started and when I saw the video, I was hooked again.....I had always considered Glenn the cutest, but when I saw him on that video..wow....he was (is) incredibly good looking...and he just has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes him simply irrisistable..and then I found this site, and other people who think just like me...it's wonderful!!!

...and welcome aboard Koala.............

eaglesvet
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM

The doctor says: Warning--Once a Borderer is 'in the Eaglefever', a visitation (or re-visitation) to a LROOE concert may be advised. However, said Borderer must then be apprised of the very real risk of developing PEW, which can then be addressed in a variety of ways. These include: endless playing of CDs and DVDs of both Eagles and solo works; hours spent in front of the computer :computer: commiserating with other Borderers as well as pouring over HSG photos of said Eagles; and in the most severe cases, re-visitation to another LROOE concert. This last treatment, obviously, runs the risk of leading that Borderer into the "vicious cycle phenomenon"--recovery from which will exhaust finances quicker than Glenn Frey can turn heads at Pebble Beach.

Many Eaglefever "sufferers" (there's a misnomer!) are successfully managing their condition by utilizing the more conservative treatment techniques listed above for PEW sufferers; nowhere has this been more necessary than in the localized regions of the Pacific NW, as well as overseas (in particular, the Southern Hemisphere.) Alternatively, those fans residing in regions seeing an abundance of LROOE shows may soon follow suit, as their finances dwindle to a level incompatible with attending further shows. :-(

TimothyBFan
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
:hilarious: :hilarious: How long did it take you to come up with that doozy?? Love it!!

eaglesvet
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Not too long...thanks, I really liked it too!

eaglesvet
02-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Koala, your story is very similar to mine! I also knew their solo songs first and first encountered the Eagles through Hell Freezes Over, but did not become a superfan until 2005. Now I am also in the EagleFever! ;)
Soda! 2005! :stunned::shock: You have managed to cram an entire Eagles education worthy of the bandmembers' parents into such a short time period--I am flabbergasted! (I don't think I have ever typed that word before...)

:bow: I actually don't know how you did it in such a short time period! I mean, I look to you as the all-time Eagles expert...what, did you do your thesis on them or something??;)

ticky
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM
heheehee you should mention how those of us suffering from Eaglefever who reside in the Pacific NW and Southern Hemisphere also suffer from headaches brought on by :brickwall: after each new concert announcement!

eaglesvet
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
ROFL!! Just mentioned!

Now we know the reason for the migraine you complained about in the other thread...

sodascouts
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
LOL at your description of EagleFever, evet!

Soda! 2005! :stunned::shock: You have managed to cram an entire Eagles education worthy of the bandmembers' parents into such a short time period--I am flabbergasted! (I don't think I have ever typed that word before...)

:bow: I actually don't know how you did it in such a short time period! I mean, I look to you as the all-time Eagles expert...what, did you do your thesis on them or something??;)

Aw, thank you!

I am an information addict and when I start getting into something, I want to know as much as I can about it. I started getting back into their music through seeing Don Henley with Stevie Nicks in 2005, and as a result I began listening to and finding out more info on the Eagles.

After listening to the Very Best again and again and again, I got so into Glenn that I decided to do a site for him which opened on his birthday in 2005 (I had some prior website experience, so that wasn't too hard, albeit time-consuming). In the process of gathering material for Glenn Frey Online, I learned more and more and more... then I started doing the other sites and learned even more... and now here I am!

Glennhoney
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
....and we THANK YOU SODA for being an info addict............:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
EV, maybe you should submit that definition to wikpedia!

Brooke
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
The doctor says: Warning--Once a Borderer is 'in the Eaglefever', a visitation (or re-visitation) to a LROOE concert may be advised. However, said Borderer must then be apprised of the very real risk of developing PEW, which can then be addressed in a variety of ways. These include: endless playing of CDs and DVDs of both Eagles and solo works; hours spent in front of the computer :computer: commiserating with other Borderers as well as pouring over HSG photos of said Eagles; and in the most severe cases, re-visitation to another LROOE concert. This last treatment, obviously, runs the risk of leading that Borderer into the "vicious cycle phenomenon"--recovery from which will exhaust finances quicker than Glenn Frey can turn heads at Pebble Beach.

Many Eaglefever "sufferers" (there's a misnomer!) are successfully managing their condition by utilizing the more conservative treatment techniques listed above for PEW sufferers; nowhere has this been more necessary than in the localized regions of the Pacific NW, as well as overseas (in particular, the Southern Hemisphere.) Alternatively, those fans residing in regions seeing an abundance of LROOE shows may soon follow suit, as their finances dwindle to a level incompatible with attending further shows. :-(

:rofl: That is fantastic, ev! :applause:

Honestly, it should be a part of the joining The Border process just to let newbies know what might happen when becoming addicted to our guys! :laugh:

Freypower
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
What do you call someone who has had this condition for 30 years, 1979 - 2009? I have been keeping quiet about this, but any suggestions on how I can celebrate this milestone will be appreciated.

Brooke
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Well Fp, I don't know what you call it. It's pretty much indescribable and I'm sure you will think of some way of celebrating.

Get this. Tonight I was putting away records for 2008 and came upon an old diary that I had lain in a basket, waiting to be read again to see what was in it. It's been in this basket for years. Probably 3 or 4. I decided to read through it to see if there was anything interesting.

Tuesday, November 23, 1976 entry: "I took off work early today so we could go see The Eagles with Joe Walsh and John David Souther in St. Louis." :shock:

I have been trying to find this date for years! I knew the approximate year (76, 77, 0r 78), but could not remember exactly, for the life of me. Proof at last!

Going on with the entry: "It was great! They sang all the songs off of the albums we have plus some from their new album 'California Hotel'. :eyebrow: :lol: I've waited to see them for so long and I wish it wasn't over! I love them!"

I THOUGHT I loved them then. I had no idea what that would turn in to! :crazy: Of course, there was nothing else with the diary. No ticket stubs, no pins, picks, or anything else! :-x But yet, I'm so happy to find this out!

sodascouts
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
What a treasure Brooke! I'm so glad you enjoyed the songs from California Hotel! ;)

And FP - wow! That's a landmark indeed! Maybe we should try to schedule a chat party or something around it.

Freypower
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Well Fp, I don't know what you call it. It's pretty much indescribable and I'm sure you will think of some way of celebrating.

Get this. Tonight I was putting away records for 2008 and came upon an old diary that I had lain in a basket, waiting to be read again to see what was in it. It's been in this basket for years. Probably 3 or 4. I decided to read through it to see if there was anything interesting.

Tuesday, November 23, 1976 entry: "I took off work early today so we could go see The Eagles with Joe Walsh and John David Souther in St. Louis." :shock:

I have been trying to find this date for years! I knew the approximate year (76, 77, 0r 78), but could not remember exactly, for the life of me. Proof at last!

Going on with the entry: "It was great! They sang all the songs off of the albums we have plus some from their new album 'California Hotel'. :eyebrow: :lol: I've waited to see them for so long and I wish it wasn't over! I love them!"

I THOUGHT I loved them then. I had no idea what that would turn in to! :crazy: Of course, there was nothing else with the diary. No ticket stubs, no pins, picks, or anything else! :-x But yet, I'm so happy to find this out!

Brooke, I'm sorry, I edited your post when I meant to quote it. I can't claim anything like this, although I've been a fan since 1975. The fact that you got to see them back then is just amazing. Also I notice you refer to 'the Eagles with Joe Walsh'. It was hard to believe he'd joined them permanently, wasn't it?

My 30 year thing refers to the release of The Long Run. Need I say more? It is a specific 'event' if you like. :confused: :idea: :help: :shy: :fainting: :jawdrop: :iloveyou:

(the foregoing was a brief emoticon description of how I felt that day).

TimothyBFan
02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Ahh-yeah-the old California Hotel album! :hilarious: That's great!!

Stars
02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
I remember when "California Hotel" :hilarious: came out, my brother called and told me the Eagles had released such a great album, he was going to put it on cassette for me so I could listen in my car. I used to drive around listening to that cassette so much, I probably wore it out. I was blown away the first time I heard it...and the second and third, etc., etc.:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
My 30 year thing refers to the release of The Long Run. Need I say more? It is a specific 'event' if you like. :confused: :idea: :help: :shy: :fainting: :jawdrop: :iloveyou:

(the foregoing was a brief emoticon description of how I felt that day).

Aahh FP--I also remember that day well--I remember opening up that gatefold and taking one look at the most handsome face I had ever seen and forever fell in love with a certain long haired bass player! :inlove:

Glennhoney
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
...oh God, and remember their picture in the "Long Run" album...it was probably the first great picture of the band from all their albums...and oh, Mr. Frey looked gorgeous with his new haircut...sigh..

Freypower
02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Aahh FP--I also remember that day well--I remember opening up that gatefold and taking one look at the most handsome face I had ever seen and forever fell in love with a certain long haired bass player! :inlove:

Good heavens, Willie. It looks as if it happened for both of us around the same time (the date in my case was October 2, 1979).

Lisa
02-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I became a fan of the Eagles when "Take It Easy"(Eagles) rivaled "Ramblin' Man"(Allman Brothers) climbing the top 40 charts in 1972; and when "Witchy Woman became a hit single. I was in junior high school (middle school) listening to A.M. radio after school.

sodascouts
02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Ah, you're a veteran too, Lisa. Glad to see you posting - welcome!

eaglesvet
02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Hey Lisa! Glad to meet you! You got me beat by only a few years...I was hooked in '75. Welcome to the Border...I'm sure you will love it here. Give you something to do instead of shoveling all that snow I presume you are having up in the snow belt of NY. I went to college in the Finger Lakes, one of my favorite places in the whole world to go back to !

TimothyBFan
02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Good heavens, Willie. It looks as if it happened for both of us around the same time (the date in my case was October 2, 1979).

Yup FP--I was a huge Eagles fan from the first album and I gradually became a bigger fan with each album, especially after Joe joined the group BUT when Long Run came out and I took one look at the picture in the gatefold, well, I believe that is when it turned from fandom to obsession! Tho I do not remember the exact date.

Brooke
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I became a fan of the Eagles when "Take It Easy"(Eagles) rivaled "Ramblin' Man"(Allman Brothers) climbing the top 40 charts in 1972; and when "Witchy Woman became a hit single. I was in junior high school (middle school) listening to A.M. radio after school.

I remember those days too Lisa, although I was a junior in HIGH school! :shh: Great times they were!

Welcome to The Border. It's a great place to be if you love The Eagles! :nod:

ticky
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey Lisa and Welcome! The Border is a great place for us mildly (sometimes not so mildly) Eagles obsessed individuals! As far as How did *I* Become an Eagles fan? Im still trying to figure that out myself. I'll let you know when I do :thumbsup:

Lisa
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the all of the welcomes. (I feel very welcomed now). Snow belt upstate--brrr, Arctic & Great Lake zone for part of the winter--snow shovel, no. I didn't buy one.

Stars
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Lisa!
Welcome from me too! I think you will really enjoy this board-all of us have one thing in common-our love for the Eagles!
The first time I remember being aware of the Eagles was in 1973, my junior year of college. My boyfriend (who would soon become my husband), was given a copy of Desperado to review for the school paper. I told him if he didn't give it a great review, I wouldn't marry him-lol. (Just kidding, I hadn't even heard the album YET) When I did hear it, I just loved it,and yes, he gave it a fantastic review.:thumbsup: We ended up getting married on July 22, 1973, a certain Mr. Henley's 26th birthday. I like to imagine Don celebrating his birthday, while we were celebrating our wedding!:partytime:

Peekaboo
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I would also like to welcome you to the Border, Lisa!! Have fun browsing the site and posting. This is a wonderful community of Eagles fans and we're glad to have ya here. :thumbsup:

whitcap
12-04-2010, 03:41 AM
I thought I'd revive this thread and tell you all how I got into the Eagles and specifically Randy.

My Eagles fandom actually started with Don Henley. Sometime in the latter half of 2006, I was looking through my mom's CDs and came across The End of the Innocence. I hadn't heard of the artist but the title sounded familiar. I put it in the CD player and listened to the title track and I loved it (its still one of my favorite songs.) It was a month or two before I found out Don was in the Eagles. I had heard of the band but had never really listened to the songs. So I got on the internet and looked up a few of the songs that I knew the titles of (Take it Easy, Witchy Woman, Hotel California, and Desperado) and listened to them. I liked them but I didn't look up any of the bands other songs.

In early 2007 (January or February) I was in one of my classes when my teacher decided to put on some music while we were doing our work (I was in my second year of high school at this point.) The CD he put on was Greatest Hits 1971-1975. I really liked it so I decided to go and buy it. Around that time I saw an ad in walmart that the Eagles were about to release their first new album in 28 years. I thought it was cool that they were putting out a new album after all that time. After that I started looking up information about the band.

I remember being really excited when the How Long video came out because it was the first new song I was hearing. That video was the first time I put names with faces and voices. It was around this time that I took notice of a certain bass player (but not the one you're probably thinking of.)

I thought Timothy was cute and had a good voice. I looked up some of his solo songs on youtube and really liked them. I went looking online for his solo CDs and couldn't find them. I searched a while but eventually gave up (I've got four of his CDs now but I didn't have any until Expando came out.) My attention had drifted back to Henley by the time Long Road Out of Eden came out (even though I still liked Timothy.) I bought it the day it came out and liked it a lot. It was the first studio album that I bought (I had greatest hits, greatest hits volume 2, and the very best of.)

At the end of the year is when I took notice of the band's former bass player. After listening to Take it to the Limit one day I decided to look up some of Randy's solo songs on youtube. I listened to a couple of them and really liked them. Early in 2008 I decided to try and find his solo albums. I found a few of them on iTunes. I downloaded Love Me or Leave Alone and Live in Dallas. After listening to them I was hooked! I went back and downloaded Randy's first album. Later that year I got the rest of Randy's solo stuff.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I thought Timothy was cute and had a good voice. I looked up some of his solo songs on youtube and really liked them. I went looking online for his solo CDs and couldn't find them. I searched a while but eventually gave up (I've got four of his CDs now but I didn't have any until Expando came out.) My attention had drifted back to Henley by the time Long Road Out of Eden came out (even though I still liked Timothy.) I bought it the day it came out and liked it a lot. It was the first studio album that I bought (I had greatest hits, greatest hits volume 2, and the very best of.)

Might I say you have very good taste!!! :thumbsup:

Glad you discovered them. See---you did learn something in school on that day!! :hilarious:

sodascouts
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM
And look how far you've come!

Glennsallnighter
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Awwwww I love your story WC! Really cute. If i played music to my students while they were working I'd possibly be fired! You were lucky your tutor had such a good taste in music!

GlennLover
12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks for sharing that WC!

Koala
12-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks, for telling us your Eagles story!

Brooke
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Wc, that's great! Thanks for telling us 'how it all started' for you! What a smart teacher you had, too!

12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm glad you shared your story with us, wc. I love reading all the different ways that us fans discovered and got hooked on the band and/or various band members.

WalshFan88
12-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Long story but here goes! :)

A family friend had been trying to get me into music, and to play guitar. So I tried to learn, never took it seriously and pretty much blew it off. Unfortunately in 2007 (January), he was in a horrific car crash, a fence came through the car and mangled his face. The short story of that is that he is on a trach and feeding tube. Very sad. It makes me sad we never got to jam. He had Epilepsy and apparently had a seizure as he was driving. He knew it was coming as he was heading to work and turned the car headed home but never made it there in time and had a seizure and drove into a fencerow. Very sad.

The next month (February), I took his advice on how to take guitar seriously. He said "go through your parents albums and listen to every one of them, and get into music and be a music lover first, you gotta love music to play guitar". So that's what I did. I listen to a LOT of music I liked, some I loved. But NONE made me go "Wow, I wanna be a musician". Then I found my parents copy of Hotel California. I put it on, and the very second the title track started in, it gave me chills. It was a life-changing song. When I heard the solo I knew I liked the 2nd half of it better, and said "I wanna be a guitar player!!!!". :guitar:

That day I went, got my guitar I had from my previous attempts and printed out the basic "cowboy chords" off the internet and got to it. I later found out that part of the solo was none other than Joe Walsh. Then I found out he played and sang Life's Been Good, which I came across on the radio one day. I found out about all members past and present and their history and was able to associate their solo songs with the Eagles members and started listening to their whole catalog. At that time it was Eagles through The Long Run as far as studio albums go. I did listen to Eagles Live and HFO. Then I found F1.

I really fell in love with Hotel California, and that song IS my favorite song of all time. My favorite guitar intro of all time. My favorite guitar solo of all time. My favorite album of all time, made by my favorite band of all time. That song means a lot as because I have posted before, I've had a rough life with all of my medical problems and live at home disabled and listening to their music helped me, and most importantly got me into guitar playing and gave me something to do and enjoy than just sitting around bummed out. Then a couple years after I started I came across this guitar store, a mom and pop store, and became great close friends with the owner. He and I started what became The Stone Eagles. We started as a classic rock cover band (and with about half of our set eventually being Eagles songs, we decided we needed to become a tribute band! :D). Then we started taking it more seriously and becoming a tribute band. We don't dress like the Eagles, but we try to nail the music as close as we possibly can for our audience and that's more important.

So that's how I got into being a fan of the Eagles, and even more so a fan of Joe Walsh. I like Don Felder too, he and Joe are my favorite guitar duo of all time, but I like Joe a little bit more. My favorite former member is Don Felder. I like Randy Meisner's bass playing too. I like Bernie Leadon's playing too but I'm not a huge straightahead country fan. I dig some of it when mixed with rock.

And that's the end of the story. I owe it to this band because I became happier and became a guitar player. I feel Hotel California changed my life. :)

MikeA
12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Two "thumbs up" Austin!:rockguitar:

GlennLover
12-12-2010, 08:43 PM
So glad the guys inspired you like that & that the music has enriched your life. I'm sure they would be moved by your story. I know Glenn is very touched by stories like this (as I've seen in television clips & read in articles).

WalshFan88
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
So glad the guys inspired you like that & that the music has enriched your life. I'm sure they would be moved by your story. I know Glenn is very touched by stories like this (as I've seen in television clips & read in articles).

What I didn't get into in my post is my medical problems and the life I've had but it really impacted me. It got me playing music, which has made my medically disabled life a bit brighter. I have a benign but inoperable spinal tumor and am in lots of pain plus I have endocrine and other orthopedic problems (arthritis, osteoporosis, herniated discs) everyday but music and playing with my band makes me happier. It gives me a purpose to live for.

I would love to meet the band and tell them my story. And the ability to play a song with them. That is my dying wish. I don't know if it will ever happen, but one can hope and dream I guess. I'd be content with just meeting them and saying "Thanks". That's really what it comes down to. It made my life a better place. I remember I was rushing to get out and now I'm much happier and a lot less miserable. I can't work, but I do get to play with my band and it makes me happy and feel somewhat productive and that I'm contributing something, in this case it is music. I try to entertain but also uplift others. :)

sodascouts
12-12-2010, 11:03 PM
That's really moving, Austin. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

WalshFan88
12-12-2010, 11:39 PM
That's really moving, Austin. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

You're welcome. :) I am glad to. It just goes to show how music can change a person. It did for me because prior to that, I was at my wits end, miserable, and wanting out of life.

AzEaglesFan
12-13-2010, 02:24 AM
I am so glad that you get to enjoy music and it has enriched your life. I have worn hearing aids for years and without them I am extremely deaf. It does have it's advantages, I can sleep thru barking dogs and loud parties. I used to fear that I will go completely deaf and won't be able to enjoy music. So far the hearing aids have worked but I have a lot of touble talking with people on the phone.
I pray that your health issues will improve and that you can enjoy and play music for a very long time.

TimothyBFan
12-13-2010, 07:43 AM
WOW---Isn't it amazing what music can do!?!? Thanks for sharing your stories!

Prettymaid
12-13-2010, 07:51 AM
These stories truly are uplifting and if there is one thread the Eagles should read here it's this one.

12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree, PM. Thanks for sharing the story of your fandom, Austin. I hope music continues to enrich your life.

Koala
12-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Austin, thanks for sharing your story with us!

Windeagle
07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Wow. These stories are fascinating. Here's mine.

When I was in high school in 1979, I started riding to school with a neighbor who had a new (old) car. It was a 25-minute drive each way. He had exactly two cassette tapes in his car and alternated them each day, one side of the tape for each ride. The first was "The Cars". The second was "Hotel California."

I was not overly impressed with "Hotel California" at the start of that first ride. The first three songs had been all over the radio for a couple of years now, so my reaction was like, "Yeah, the Eagles. Whatever." The songs were good, but they were overplayed. But then... "Wasted Time."

I had never heard any of the album tracks before and this song silenced me. The emotion and soul in that voice and the sparse piano that built to a crecendo gave me chills. And those last lines, "And maybe someday we will find that it wasn't really wasted time" made me want to cry. I had to hear more. I couldn't wait for the ride home.

Side 2 was even better than Side 1. There was so much variety! "Victim of Love", "The Last Resort" and all the rest were just... GREAT SONGS! Who knew the Eagles were more than just "Hotel California"?

So, with my lawn-mowing money, I went out and bought more albums. I was intrigued first by "Desperado." I thought the cowboy thing was cool. I couldn't stop playing the record when I got it home. And then it was "On the Border", which caused me to fall completely in love with "Ol' 55". Over time, I picked up the rest and happily enjoyed them over and over. "Eagles Live" was a special treat when I finally bought it later on. The poster remained on my bedroom wall for the rest of the time I lived at my parents house.

In college, I was the throwback. I thrived on the Eagles and Stevie Nicks while my 5 other roommates played Wham and Duran Duran. I was not allowed to play my music outside my bedroom. It was not cool. Maybe not, but it sure was good! It helped that I had a boyfriend who was a guitarist. When we eventually moved in together, the Eagles were back on the turntable in public.

Fast forward to 1994. The guitarist had been replaced (amicably) by a less-musical but still very creative guy when it came time to get married and start a family. My musical interests faded into the background of crying babies, Nickelodeon and PTO meetings. I heard about the HFO tour, but couldn't afford tickets while on maternity leave and was nervous about leaving my 3-month-old with a sitter. Miss #1.

In later years, it was always something. There was always some reason I couldn't go to a show. Either I wasn't paying attention and didn't hear about it until later (Miss #2 - Manchester NH, 2003) or the tickets were too expensive (Boston - many times, many misses). I wasn't too worried about it. There were so many other distractions.

But now... now I'm back with a vengeance. The kids are off doing their own things and it's back to being my turn. It started this time with a desire to load some of my old favorite albums onto my new iPod. So off to the store I went to buy CDs and found myself hooked again when I brought them home. My car's CD changer is filled to the brim with Eagles and solo stuff - and the kids have to listen to it.

And look! Now there's a whole COMMUNITY out here that likes the band as much as I do. I can play my favorite music in public again!

Oh, and the guitarist? We're still in touch. He teaches now and this spring, one of his students gave him a Long Road Out of Eden tour baseball cap. He gave it to me for doing his taxes.

GlennLover
07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
That's so cool, Windeagle! great story!

Troubadour
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
That was great, Windeagle - Wasted Time was the song that made me truly love Don and the Eagles, too. I'm so glad you found us here and that you can embrace your Eagles fandom fully now! I really hope you get to see them in concert soon. The wait will have been worth it.

Henley Honey
07-28-2011, 08:18 PM
That's a great story, Windeagle. Two of the best Eagles shows that I've seen were at the Boston Garden and in Worchester. (Hope I spelled that right) I'm ALWAYS up for another East Coast show and by being a part of this site, you'll have an immediate heads up when --not if -- but when they'll be playing there again.

Windeagle
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Yep. I keep hoping. Back in 1990, I thought the partial reunion for Walden Woods was the best I could ever hope to see. Never say never.

And this time I have income! I'll buy tickets no matter what they cost.

Koala
07-29-2011, 01:26 AM
That's a cool story!

Judy
07-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Cool. Thanks for sharing your story!

TimothyBFan
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
He had exactly two cassette tapes in his car and alternated them each day, one side of the tape for each ride. The first was "The Cars". The second was "Hotel California."

Windeagle---I would have LOVED your neighbor!!! As most members on this board that have known me for awhile know, The Cars are my 2nd favorite group behind the Eagles.

Your story sounds a lot like many others here that have been long time fans of the Eagles where we may have lost track of them for awhile, but we ALWAYS come back!!! :thumbsup:

So how do you feel about The Cars? :hilarious: If you are interested, we have a thread for them also here in the For The Sake Of The Song, has some great pictures and updates on their new album etc.... Most of which were put there by me. :hilarious: