PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley Appearing on Randy Travis Album

AzEaglesFan
04-10-2011, 12:28 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110329/ap_on_en_ot/us_music_randy_travis_1

Ive always been a dreamer
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the link, AZEF. I guess Don's not alone, but I can't say that I'm rejoicing over the notion of artists releasing remakes of their own hits. :shrug:

George Jones, Alan Jackson, Jamey Johnson and Don Henley also join Travis on the 16-track album, which will contain new songs as well as remakes of Travis hits.

AzEaglesFan
04-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Whatever CD Don puts out, I will buy, love his voice. I plan on buying the Randy Travis CD too. Can hardly wait to see what song Randy and Don do end up singing. Haven't heard anything official yet. I have been checking Country Weekly but all they said was that they were doing a duet.

whitcap
04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Whatever CD Don puts out, I will buy, love his voice. I plan on buying the Randy Travis CD too. Can hardly wait to see what song Randy and Don do end up singing. Haven't heard anything official yet. I have been checking Country Weekly but all they said was that they were doing a duet.

According to this (http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2011/03/29/randy-travis-celebrates-25-years-with-all-star-cd/) the song Don is doing with Randy is called "More Life".

AzEaglesFan
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I will be buying that CD, some of my favorite people are on there. Even some new songs. Never heard of the song that Don and Randy are singing.

sodascouts
06-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Found out a little more info thanks to Google alerts here (http://www.theboot.com/2011/06/07/randy-travis-25-anniversary-celebration-album-interview/). The Henley snippet (emphasis mine):
"Though Randy has known some of the country guests on his album for years, he met Don Henley while working on this album. "We were over at [producer] Garth Fundis' studio working on something else one day and that's how Don Henley ended up on 'More Life,'" Randy says. "He was over there working on a country record and he came over and said hello."

Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, Randy didn't get to record in the studio with Don. (Don, Ray Price and Brad Paisley are the only ones Randy didn't record with in person.) Unlike the other tracks, which are duets, 'More Life' features Don on harmony vocals. "He listened to the song and when he came into the studio he said, 'this is a one person song. It makes no sense absolutely for me to sing a verse.' This was his request: 'just let me sing a harmony part.'"
----------------

So it sounds like this won't be much of a duet after all.

AzEaglesFan
06-09-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm disappointed that it isn't a duet. But I think that Don is a real sweetheart for not trying to make it into one.

WalshFan88
06-09-2011, 02:12 AM
See, that's what he did for Brad Paisley's album (sing harmony). I'm thinking maybe Don said the same thing to Brad. Just a thought.

Annabel
06-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Well that's a very nice gesture on Don's part. :)

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Shhhhh!! Don't tell anyone (don't want anyone to think I'm a closet country fan) but I somewhat adore Randy Travis. Might just have to check this one out when it comes out. This will most likely be one of those MP3 purchases for a single song off of an album.

sodascouts
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
It's cool that Don did what was best for the song rather than go on an ego trip... but I have to admit... I'm still disappointed he won't be more prominent. But hey, maybe it'll be like Walkaway Joe, where it's essentially a harmony but you can hear him so well it's like a duet (and was classified as such in my recent poll, lol).

Wow, Willie, you like Randy Travis? Who'd've thunk it? ;)

Brooke
06-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Willie, how can this be? Unbelievable!

TimothyBFan
06-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I know, I know--- it's not his songs as much as his freakin' gorgeous voice. I actually bought his first couple of albums in the 80s that hit the charts, Storms of Life and Always & Forever. I was just "reintroduced" to him a few months back when my niece came to me and asked me to burn a Randy Travis cd for her husband's grandma's funeral. I discovered a song called The Box and wept like a baby.

I seriously do think that Don's and Randy's voice will mesh really well together and this is one country song that I do look forward to hearing. :shock: I'm being sincere here.

sodascouts
06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I just bought the song off of iTunes. Don and Randy's voices do mesh well, but it's backing indeed. I can see why he didn't want a separate verse, though. The song is from the perspective of a dying man in the hospital who wishes for "more life." One dying guy is plenty!

ETA: On re-listen I think the guy in the song might recover. Still, like I said, I can see why Don didn't think it was a good duet song.

Annabel
06-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it out already. ????? Off to listen.

TimothyBFan
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
So we can already get it on Itunes? I must have missed that. As soon as I get my computer back (yes--it's back to be repaired from another virus!), I will buy it. Thanks for the info.

Annabel
06-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Got it. :yay: Well only heard a snippit and most of that was Randy so I had to buy it to check it out better.

I'm in agreement with you Nancy.