PDA

View Full Version : Don and Caddo Lake

DonFan
09-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I wish I had been in Texas yesterday! Click on the photo link to see pictures of Don--he is in pics 14-16.

Indian dances, rock star help open Caddo refuge

By WES FERGUSON (wferguson@longview-news.com) Sunday, September 27, 2009 KARNACK — A ceremonial dance blessed the public debut Saturday of the Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge. The day marked the culmination of years spent cleaning the former Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant near Caddo Lake's southwestern shore.

PHOTOS: Caddo Lake Wildlife Refuge grand opening (http://www.news-journal.com/ap/mediahub/092609_caddo_refuge/slideshow/index.jsp?tId=187523)

Talk of East Texas: Indian dances, rock star help open Caddo refuge (http://www.news-journal.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/communities/lnj/entries/2009/09/27/indian_dances_rock_star_help_o.html)

The refuge's 8,400 acres of pines and bottomland hardwood trees will be a haven for wildlife and a place for people to seek spiritual renewal, said Don Henley, the rock singer from Linden and a speaker at Saturday's opening event."The refuge contains one of the best, if not the best, examples of flooded wetland forest in the entire nation," Henley said.

Henley, who is founder and board chairman of the Caddo Lake Institute, said lake-area residents fought plans to convert the former plant into an industrial park after it closed in 1991."This has been a community effort, no doubt about it," he said.

Caddo tradition
Several descendants of Caddo Lake's first inhabitants, the Caddo Indians, sang and danced traditional welcome songs at the celebration.
Travis Threlkeld, 16, was the loudest singer. He and three other men sang and beat a wide drum as they marched in a circle.Two rows of women in traditional floral dresses, flowing headdresses and moccasins shuffled behind the men."Our songs are traditional," Threlkeld said. "They have a lot of variety and differences that keep us entertained." He said the Binger, Okla., tribe's biggest dances of the year can draw up to 150 people and last all night, from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m.His grandfather is one of only two people who can still speak the ancestral language fluently, he added.
"I'm one of the younger singers, but I've been around it so long I've kind of got an idea of its history," he said.

As Threlkeld and the others danced, U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler, bobbed his head to the drumbeat. Later, Gohmert told the crowd of about 500 people that he was working to pass legislation to protect Caddo Lake and to fight invasive species such as giant salvinia."The appearance of giant salvinia could be the biggest problem the lake has ever had as a threat," he said.Gohmert also composed a song for the occasion.

"Hotel Caddo Lake" was set to the chorus of "Hotel California," the famous number by Henley's band, The Eagles. Henley said he had been fishing on Caddo since the mid-1950s. "The older I got, I realized just what an important ecosystem this is, and that we need to protect it," he said.

Britt
09-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Don looks great! :thumbsup:

Koala
09-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting the link, DF!

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/092709_web_refuge.html

Here a video with Don
Don is to be heard at the beginning and he is to be seen from 1.45min!
http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/content/multimedia/players/brightcove.html

Brooke
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Great!

I'm beginning to see why Don is keeping his hair so short these days. He really shouldn't bend over and read while giving a talk. :shock: His hair is really thinning on top. We don't want him to do the Donald Trump comb over now do we! :lol:

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Poor Don. I seriously think the lighting and the angle exaggerated it. It's not really that bad in person.

BTW, those of you who watched the video - You gotta know Don was cringing when that politician started calling the place "Hotel Caddo Lake" and reciting the lyrics "Welcome to Nature's Hotel Caddo Lake... What a lovely place... what a lovely space... any time of year, you can find it here..."

Gag me!

But the the guy's heart is in the right place, so I won't rag on it too much.

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
This blog gives a play-by-play of the event, and has some photos as well - including another one of Don:

Notes and Musings: Caddo Lake Wildlife Refuge (http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2009/09/caddo-lake-national-wildlife-refuge.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/don/DHenleyCaddo2009.jpg

AmarilloByMorning
10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I. Love. His. Attire.

It was a pretty cool picture of him with a blurred American flag in the foreground.

What an exhausting life, between attending functions like that, touring and parenting. I cannot begin to fathom how he manages.

Thanks for the link!

sodascouts
10-02-2009, 11:46 PM
No sweat!

It was nice of Don to make an appearance - he could have easily blown them off and said "I'm relaxing" but instead he went out there and visibly supported his charity.

Peekaboo
10-03-2009, 12:31 AM
I agree that it was great of him to make an appearance but I also think that it would've been a bad move to not be there. I mean, he is the one behind the Caddo Lake Institute and I think it would be bad for him to not be at a function involving his beloved Caddo Lake. I'm not sure about everyone else but when I here the word Caddo (even when it doesn't involve Caddo Lake) I think of Don. I just associate that with him. I'm sure he can't make it to everything that involves his charities because the man does have a life and has many priorities that take up his time but I'm glad to see that he was able to be there for this event.

sodascouts
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, good point, Peek. It would look pretty bad if he didn't show, especially since he's in Texas at the moment!

Koala
04-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Eagles’ Don Henley works to preserve East Texas’ Caddo Lake

Unfortunately you can not see the whole Article, for this you must be a subscriber of the page.I'm not ..... but maybe one of you!

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20110425-eagles-don-henley-works-to-preserve-east-texas-caddo-lake.ece

Annabel
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Darn it I got that too and would have liked to see more of it.

tequila girl
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Me too! :cry:

It has to be down to one of our friends over there in the states to Register......come on guys..............please

Koala
04-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Here are a photo gallery (http://www.dallasnews.com/photos/local-news/20110426-musician-don-henley-works-to-protect-east-texas_caddo-lake.ece?ssimg=169692#ssTop169812) wita a nice photo from Don!

Annabel
04-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Me too! :cry:

It has to be down to one of our friends over there in the states to Register......come on guys..............please

Oooh yes please, you know you love us. :laugh:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting that, Koala. The name of the town that photo was taken in is Uncertain, Texas. That's a rather odd name for a town methinks.

Brooke
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting that, Koala. The name of the town that photo was taken in is Uncertain, Texas. That's a rather odd name for a town methinks.

Sounds like an old west town name!

Great pic! Thanks Koala!

sodascouts
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Love that photo of Don. Thanks for finding that, Koala!

The name of the town that photo was taken in is Uncertain, Texas. That's a rather odd name for a town methinks.

Texas has plenty of oddly named names like that - "Cut And Shoot" comes to mind. lol

Willie - cool screen caps - thanks! GNR was sure lucky Don was able to fill in, but poor Steve Adler! What a mess!

tequila girl
04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Eagles’ Don Henley works to preserve East Texas’ Caddo Lake

Unfortunately you can not see the whole Article, for this you must be a subscriber of the page.I'm not ..... but maybe one of you!

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20110425-eagles-don-henley-works-to-preserve-east-texas-caddo-lake.ece
Come on you Guys.........One of you PLEASE subscribe to this...i'm dying to see the rest of it :spin:

AzEaglesFan
04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/MUS-HENLEY-LAKE_4999715/MUS-HENLEY-LAKE_4999715/

Koala
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks AEF!:-)

EaglesKiwi
05-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks for accessing the article, AEF!! :hug:

A very interesting read.

tequila girl
05-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks so much for that AEF :hug:

For some reason this bit brought a lump to my throat....

"Watching his 11-year-old daughter haul in bream with a cane pole, Henley says he believes that she and her siblings understand. "I want them to be stewards of this lake after I'm gone."

Annabel
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
You are a star AEF :thumbsup: thanks from me too.

TG, I know what you mean.

05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Texas has plenty of oddly named names like that - "Cut And Shoot" comes to mind. lol

Oh yeah - I remember some of our conversations about Cut and Shoot. Didn't someone say it should be named "Knife and Kill". :lol:

And thanks for posting that link, AEF. Some people can knock Don all they want, but the man is a passionate, forceful, and generous advocate for causes he believes in. I admire him for not just caring and speaking about these important causes, but actually doing something to make a difference. Way to go, Don!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

tequila girl
05-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Some people can knock Don all they want, but the man is a passionate, forceful, and generous advocate for causes he believes in. I admire him for not just caring and speaking about these important causes, but actually doing something to make a difference. Way to go, Don!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:
I couldn't agree more Dreamer....Very Well Put! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Yes, thanks AEF. Don's work is quite admirable!

Victim of Love
05-25-2014, 08:06 PM
I thought we already had a thread for this but couldn't find one. (Moderator, if this should be elsewhere, please move it.) Anyway, I've read several articles about Don's involvement with the Caddo Lake Project and today this popped up on my FB page so I thought I'd pass it along for anyone Henleyheads (or others) who may be interested. Be sure to check out the link for the shop.

http://www.gofundme.com/8tiy7o

Victim of Love
05-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for moving this, Soda. Don't know how I overlooked the thread. Guess I didn't scroll down far enough.

sodascouts
05-25-2014, 08:32 PM
It was on the fourth page, lol. I just did a search for "caddo" to find it.

Thanks for the link!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the link, VOL! I looked it over, the GoFundMe page has a 5% fee for one thing, a 2.9% and $0.30 fee for another. Seems like a lot! The merch page doesn't say how much goes to Caddo Lake but since I have a co-worker and friend with the last name Henley, I'm not sure I want something that says HenleyHeads (unless I give it to them). It seems like it would be better to donate directly to them via the Caddo Lake Institute webpage?

Victim of Love
05-26-2014, 05:56 PM
VA, I saw the fees and extras and wasn't suggesting that anyone should buy and/or donate. I just wanted the 'HenleyHeads' here on The Border to have a chance to peek. If I was going to donate my inclination would certainly be to do it direct.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
I wasn't questioning you, VOL! Just the idea of going through a third party. For those that don't know, I think most do, the telemarketers and things you get in the mail for most charities are the same, only they usually take even more off the top.

catsforsale
06-01-2014, 07:52 PM
hello, i am one of the administrators for "talking to the moon" and "third encore" on f/b. we have been given permission by Mr Henley on our design and to have our online fundraiser for the caddo lake institute. all approved by Mr Henley. the link to cafepress and the go fund me of course take a small percentage of what is collected, but we are just fans wanting to give something back to Mr Henley and so no out of pocket funds were involved, opted for the small percentage on both sites. all proceeds that we are making goes to the caddo lake institute. we wanted to give back to Mr Henley, so we chose a fundraiser for caddo lake which all fans know is near and dear to his heart. the fundraiser, thus far, is very successful and we hope within a few months to see our goal met.we have our design trademarked and again full approval of Mr Henley. if you would like to contact myself or the other administrator, please feel free and please we extend an invitaion to all Mr Henley fans to join our new f/b page "talking to the moon". not a large group yet, as we have just formed, but would love to have anyone join that would like to.our links for the caddo lake fundraiser are on other eagles/henley sites and given permission from administrators to so post and very supportive of our efforts. thank you so much and much eagles and Henley love to all

06-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Best of luck on your fundraiser.

tequila girl
06-02-2014, 04:33 AM
hello, i am one of the administrators for "talking to the moon" and "third encore" on f/b. we have been given permission by Mr Henley on our design and to have our online fundraiser for the caddo lake institute. all approved by Mr Henley. the link to cafepress and the go fund me of course take a small percentage of what is collected, but we are just fans wanting to give something back to Mr Henley and so no out of pocket funds were involved, opted for the small percentage on both sites. all proceeds that we are making goes to the caddo lake institute. we wanted to give back to Mr Henley, so we chose a fundraiser for caddo lake which all fans know is near and dear to his heart. the fundraiser, thus far, is very successful and we hope within a few months to see our goal met.we have our design trademarked and again full approval of Mr Henley. if you would like to contact myself or the other administrator, please feel free and please we extend an invitaion to all Mr Henley fans to join our new f/b page "talking to the moon". not a large group yet, as we have just formed, but would love to have anyone join that would like to.our links for the caddo lake fundraiser are on other eagles/henley sites and given permission from administrators to so post and very supportive of our efforts. thank you so much and much eagles and Henley love to all

I might be missing something very basic here......But, I can't find either of those pages on fb? :confused:

Tammie
06-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Tammie. Robbie and I started Talking to the Moon to give an official FB site for the Henleyheads. You can find the group here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/henleyheads/

The Third Encore is a private group of about 20 people that is made up of some very close friends. Talking to the Moon is our sister site open to all.

The Caddo Lake Fundraiser has been fully approved by Mr. H. and as Robbie explained all proceeds made off the merchandise go directly to Caddo Lake. We take no percentage for any expenses from ourselves. The FundMe link money goes directly to the Caddo Lake Institute and does not go through us at all. We just thought it might be an alternative to buying the merchandise from Cafepress. We are currently setting up a way for people to donate directly to our fundraiser. That money will be given to Mr. H. to decide which area needs it the most and in the name of Henleyheads (which he is very familiar with now).

We hope you will join us on Talking to the Moon. Lots of content and lots of very cool people who love the Eagles and Don Henley. You can also see info about Caddo Lake at http://www.facebook.com/henleyheads which is the official Henleyheads for Caddo Lake Institute "like" page. Stop by and give us a like!!

If you have any questions, please ask us. We will gladly answer questions here or you can email us at henleyheads@gmail.com

Thanks for the interest!!

Tammie

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Tammie, I never meant to imply that you all were taking a percentage off the amounts! The fees go to GoFundMe, and I totally get that they need money for themselves in order to offer the service they provide. Unfortunately, I already made my donation through the Caddo Lake Institute website. I'm glad Don knows about what you're doing and approves of it, and I hope it's a complete success!

Tammie
06-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks! We appreciate it and we appreciate you letting us talk about it on here too. We hope to be able to give Mr. H. a big check for the Caddo Lake Institute in the name of Henley fans everywhere!!

Tammie