PDA

View Full Version : Another Barnstorm Reunion?

ticky
06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Hey guys :) Sorry Ive been so absent but I am lurking!! Anyway, I wasnt sure where to put this since it's not really press or news for that matter, but I wanted to let you all know that Mark Lane has been regularly posting "encouraging posts" regarding a Barnstorm reunion!!!!!!!! (oh please oh please oh pleeeeeease!!!!!) Of course nothing is official but maybe if we all kick up enough noise and let Joe know how much we'd all LOVE a Barnstorm reunion, the universe just might align, the clouds lift, the sunshine and Barnstorm would have it's rightful place in the universe as the great, powerful and mighty awesome band it should have been!!

~karma~karma~karma~BARNSTORM MUST REUNITE!!! ~karma~karma~karma~

WalshFan88
06-26-2011, 06:49 AM
That would be so AWESOME if that were to happen! I love Barnstorm!

That and I wish Joe would hurry up and get his own solo album out there.... I'm growing inpatient as months pass, LOL. I wanna hearrrrrr itttttt! :hilarious:

sodascouts
06-29-2011, 01:11 AM
maybe if we all kick up enough noise and let Joe know how much we'd all LOVE a Barnstorm reunion, the universe just might align, the clouds lift, the sunshine and Barnstorm would have it's rightful place in the universe as the great, powerful and mighty awesome band it should have been!!

~karma~karma~karma~BARNSTORM MUST REUNITE!!! ~karma~karma~karma~

I'm gonna make this its very own thread!

Troubadour
06-29-2011, 05:18 AM
How cool! I can feel your excitement, Rhonda!

AzEaglesFan
07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.facebook.com/groups/233202660053986/

Mark Lane has Facebook going crazy over a possible Barnstorm Reunion

Brooke
07-29-2011, 01:05 PM
That would be awesome!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Yep - I agree ... that would be pretty cool. I mean, why not? If Joe can do a reunion tour with the James Gang, he can do one with Barnstorm too. I say every musician should reunite with all their old bands at least once or twice! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
It would be cool, even if it were only for a few dates.

whitcap
08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
A Barnstorm reunion would be cool. I like Barnstorm.

EaglesFanatic
08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, this would be very cool. I wish James Gang did another reunion tour also.

Midnight Visitor
12-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi all! I belong to a group on Facebook that is trying to get Barnstorm to reunite. The group is run by a LONG TIME Joe fan from Australia. We're looking to get to 300 members today, if possible. If anyone is on Facebook & would like to join here's a link to the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233202660053986/

12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this, MV and I wish them luck.

sodascouts
12-09-2013, 11:08 PM
I joined that a while back. Best of luck!

mustangkim11
12-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I belong to that site as well.

sodascouts
04-27-2014, 10:11 PM
So, as noted in another thread, Joe Vitale posted a photo of the old Barnstorm today with the caption "Soon......Coming to a town near you !!!" (punctuation his).

I'm intrigued!

PS I merged this with an older thread we had about a Barnstorm reunion - just in case you're confused by all the old posts!

WalshFan88
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM
I saw that too and also talking about it in the Barnstorm FB Group.

If it's true and is driveable distance I will be there!

sodascouts
04-27-2014, 10:24 PM
I just checked out the Barnstorm Reunion Facebook page. It seems this isn't a done deal yet unless Joe feels there's enough interest. I encourage folks to join the Facebook group if you're on social media. I'll put it on JoeWalshOnline (http://www.joewalshonline.com).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233202660053986/

Midnight Visitor
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Actually the Joe Vitale post that said "Soon......Coming to a town near you !!!" came after Mark Lane's post about Joe waiting to see if there's interest. In other words, Joe Vitale, the drummer of Barnstorm, is saying it's on. That's a pretty reliable source.

04-28-2014, 12:04 AM
This would be awesome if it happens! Crossing my fingers.

Houston Baby
04-28-2014, 10:22 AM
It definitely would be awesome! I would love to see that!! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Actually the Joe Vitale post that said "Soon......Coming to a town near you !!!" came after Mark Lane's post about Joe waiting to see if there's interest. In other words, Joe Vitale, the drummer of Barnstorm, is saying it's on. That's a pretty reliable source.

Absolutely! But that implies there will be a tour, and while I'm not saying that couldn't happen, it would surprise me. Joe Walsh would have to squeeze it in between Eagles legs. Mark Lane had only spoken to Joe about a one-off and he's said nothing about a tour. It made me wonder if Joe V was getting a bit ahead of himself. I guess we'll see!

ETA: I figured - why not ask the source? I posted a direct question as a comment on Joe V's post, asking if Joe Walsh has committed to a time period to tour or any dates. We'll see if Joe V replies.

Midnight Visitor
04-28-2014, 06:22 PM
The whole thing surprises me really. I'm not being a smart ass but isn't Joe tired? Geez, he works hard. I found it difficult to believe he'd practice up a band for a one nighter. Tho, I'd be even more shocked if he found the time to tour after the one nighter. I'm really in a state of shock. It's not like Barnstorm is a known name to anyone but us hardcore fans. :confused:

sodascouts
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I think he might be doing it as a favor to his friends. Certainly there's not much profit in it for him otherwise. That's why even a one-off would be worth the effort, if it's simply a chance to jam with his old buddies. I could also see them doing a few shows close together, but mounting a tour and all of its accompanying logistical issues... that's another story.

As for Joe getting tired, you'd think so, but then again last year when he was on break from the Eagles, he decided to tour as a guest of Bob Seger!

So we wait...

No reply to my question on FB.

Midnight Visitor
04-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I was thinking about last year! I'm tired just watching him do his thing. Yes, we wait.

Funk 50
12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
It's wonderful that Joe's always up to something and I can't think of anything better than a Barnstorm reunion. They must be a helluva lot more popular now than when they were operational. I think they were too closely stuck with The James Gang.

This is a kinda piece of Dan Fogelberg news.

Dan Fogelberg, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm and Caribou Ranch are all to be inducted into the Colorado Music Hall Of Fame. It's just a matter of when.

March/April 2015, after the Eagles have returned from their tour Down Under, has been penciled in but there is a hold up.

The Colorado Music Hall of Fame has decided to wait for the tribute CD to be completed before inducting Dan. We have one very busy, but important, group that needs to finish their vocals before that can happen. All we can do is wait - we all, Sony included, feel they are worth waiting for. The CMHF will then find out when Joe Walsh will be able to attend. Right now, they are hoping for @March/April 2015. Inductees will include Dan, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, and Caribou Ranch. A Dan Fogelberg tribute album is something that Joe, maybe even the Eagles, could also be a part of. Joe first worked with the Don, Glenn and Randy, not forgetting Irving of course, on Dan's Souvenir album. That's how they saw Joe as a possible fit for the Eagles. If it's the Eagles they're waiting for though, it could be a mighty long wait.

Never-the-less, definitely something mega to look forward to next year.

Midnight Visitor
12-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Yes Funk 50! We already have a thread for that:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5114

Funk 50
12-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Sorry MV, I couldn't find it. I find these endless awards things pretty tiresome but I'm delighted about the Fogelberg tribute album and of course, any possibility of a Barnstorm reunion. I've only ever heard Joe perform Turn To Stone and Mother Says from my favourite Walsh album... oh and that guitar bit from Here We Go. :)

Funk 50
04-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Well March/April 2015 has almost gone and there have been no further updates from The Colorado Music Hall Of Fame, to my knowledge.

Dan Fogelberg's Tribute Album is still unreleased.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/

A tribute CD featuring legendary and soon-to-be-legendary recording artists is underway to honor Dan. Each artist will record the Dan Fogelberg song of their choosing. Produced by Dan's long-time associates and friends Norbert Putnam, Irving Azoff, Chuck Morris, and Dan's wife Jean Fogelberg, the CD will be distributed and promoted by Sony Legacy Recordings. All profits will go to the Prostate Cancer Foundation to develop new, more precise testing. No date of completion yet, there are many artist schedules to work around, but it's coming together!

We are still waiting for the date, Dan Fogelberg, Joe Walsh & Barnstorm and Caribou Ranch will be inducted into the Colorado MHoF.

In the meantime, here is an interview by Trace Keane, for the Tommy Bolin Archives, with Barnstorm's 2nd Keyboard player Tommy Stephenson.

http://www.tbolin.com/interviews/stephenson_022611.html

If Barnstorm do reunite, I'm not sure if Tommy will be involved. I hope he is but I detect a hint of animosity between Tommy and Joe. Tommy was definitely there in Joe's pre-Eagles career but I wouldn't advocate him as a credible witness. There are definite inaccuracies in his answers. Nice pic of Barnstorm though.

Tommy didn't write anything with Barnstorm but I quite like the music he's posted on his website. http://www.reverbnation.com/tommystephenson

It's a bit like instrumental Genesis.:thumbsup:

Funk 50
06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
At last! It's on :partytime:!

http://kdvr.com/2017/06/05/garth-brooks-joe-walsh-barnstorm-to-play-in-denver-in-august/

Dan Fogelberg, Joe Walsh & Barnstorm and Caribou Ranch will be inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame on Sunday, Aug.13 at 7 p.m.

“The Rocky Mountain Way” celebration will include performances by Garth Brooks, Amy Grant & Vince Gill, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Randy Owen of Alabama, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, Richie Furay, Michael Martin Murphey, as well as additional surprise guests, organizers stated.

Joe Walsh & Barnstorm will also reunite for a special performance.

AFAIK, Walsh and Henley are both on Irving's Fogelberg tribute album. I was hoping that the entire Eagles band would be on it

Walsh, Vitale and Passarelli constitute Barnstorm. I think Rocke Grace and Tom Stephenson may feel snubbed if they're not invited.

Delilah
06-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Long time coming. Big Head Todd & the Monsters? There's a blast from the past.

What is this Dan Fogelberg tribute album? I must have missed something.

Funk 50
06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
At last! It's on :partytime:!

http://kdvr.com/2017/06/05/garth-brooks-joe-walsh-barnstorm-to-play-in-denver-in-august/

Dan Fogelberg, Joe Walsh & Barnstorm and Caribou Ranch will be inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame on Sunday, Aug.13 at 7 p.m.

“The Rocky Mountain Way” celebration will include performances by Garth Brooks, Amy Grant & Vince Gill, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Randy Owen of Alabama, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, Richie Furay, Michael Martin Murphey, as well as additional surprise guests, organizers stated.

Joe Walsh & Barnstorm will also reunite for a special performance

Walsh, Vitale and Passarelli constitute Barnstorm. I think Rocke Grace and Tom Stephenson may feel snubbed if they're not invited.

AFAIK, Walsh and Henley are both on Irving's Fogelberg tribute album. The tribute album has been in the works for several years, apparently held up buy a major band, worth waiting for, taking an extraordinarily long time to present their Fogelberg offering. I was kinda hoping that the entire Eagles band would be on it.

Dan's website has further good news;

MARK YOUR CALENDARS - The tribute concert will be at Fiddler's Green in Colorado, on Dan's birthday - Sunday, August 13th. During the concert, Dan, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, and Caribou Ranch will all be inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame. The concert will be filmed by PBS Soundstage. The concert DVD and the Tribute CD will be released together in November. This hasn't been announced yet, so don't go looking for tickets, we'll let you know when they're available...

Delilah
06-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Ok, thanks. I guess I was getting confused; I know there is a live Dan Fogelberg cd being released as well.

NightMistBlue
06-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Producer Bill "oh crap how do you spell his name again" Szymczyk will be getting a special award at this ceremony.

Sounds like it's going to be incredibly cool. I imagine James Guercio will be there.

scottside
06-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Ok, thanks. I guess I was getting confused; I know there is a live Dan Fogelberg cd being released as well.

The live cd just came out a few weeks ago. I believe it's a two cd set recorded in 1979 at Carnegie Hall. It's just Dan and his guitars and piano and judging from the few tracks I've heard, it sounds fantastic!

Delilah
06-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks, scottside, that's good to know. It's nice that he's still being remembered and celebrated.

Funk 50
06-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Fogelberg's website now has ticket news.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/news.html?Submit=Refresh+Page

I'm looking forward to hearing Joe talking about it. Good to see Bill Szymczyk getting an acknowledgement too.:)

I'm not sure what to expect from Barnstorm. Obviously Rocky Mountain Way will be played but I fear they'll be a dozen or more artists on stage when they perform it. :???:

Midnight Visitor
06-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Fogelberg's website now has ticket news.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/news.html?Submit=Refresh+Page

I'm looking forward to hearing Joe talking about it. Good to see Bill Szymczyk getting an acknowledgement too.:)

I'm not sure what to expect from Barnstorm. Obviously Rocky Mountain Way will be played but I fear they'll be a dozen or more artists on stage when they perform it. :???:

Yep, my fear too. Joe loves those big bands these days. Background vocalists, etc.... I will allow a keyboard player or two but anything more than that would suck.

Funk 50
06-12-2017, 03:20 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to guess what songs Barnstorm are going to perform. They only made two albums. I believe Mother Says was the first track to be recorded at Caribou Ranch so that's a likely choice.

Discounting The James Gang tracks, a Barnstorm set list would include Meadows, Dreams, Rocky Mountain Way and Turn To Stone.

Welcome To The Club, County Fair, Life Of Illusion and most recently And The Band Played On from Analog Man album, are later, Walsh songs that are performed by the Barnstorm guys.

I love The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get but I love Barnstorm even more. If they played a large percentage of that album would have me turning flips :partytime:

They also all played with Dan Fogelberg, so I'd kinda expect them to contribute to that part of the show too. :smile:

Funk 50
08-12-2017, 08:16 PM
According to bassist, Kenny Passarelli, Barnstorm are due to play two songs at the Colarado Music Hall Of Fame Induction but he thinks that they may play more. He's had a fretless bass dispatched for the occasion. The trio of Walsh, Vitale and Passarelli will be augmented on stage with Tom Bukovic (guitar) and probably Jimmy Wallace (keyboards) from Joe's current touring band, (Kenny names him Jimmy Kelly). I'm kinda disappointed that Barnstorm will have a second guitar player.

Original keyboard player, Rocke Grace, who has a writing credit on Rocky Mountain Way and also wrote the wonderful instrumental Midnight Moodies from The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get album seems to have been edged out of the Barnstorm story. They hired a second keyboard player, Tom Stephenson too, not to mention Paul Harris' contribution to their first album. :eyebrow:

I've been hoping for a Barnstorm reunion for decades but I'm really not as excited as I think I should be. :confused:

I'll still be on the look out for any audio/visual transcripts of the show ;)

There are some big names on the bill and there will definitely be some major unannounced guests appearing too, which neither Kenny, his annoying co interviewee, Jim Guercio of Caribou Ranch, or interviewer Ron, could mention.

http://coloradosound.org/ (30min interview)

Midnight Visitor
08-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Damn. I had a feeling Rocke was left out. If this is true & Joe does play w/more than just the 3 of them, Vitale, Kenny & Himself, it's not a proper reunion. It sucks that Joe is so against 3 piece bands these days. When he had background singers for the James Gang, I wanted to cry.

Funk 50
08-14-2017, 05:23 AM
Damn. I had a feeling Rocke was left out. If this is true & Joe does play w/more than just the 3 of them, Vitale, Kenny & Himself, it's not a proper reunion. It sucks that Joe is so against 3 piece bands these days. When he had background singers for the James Gang, I wanted to cry.

What can you do when your dreams come true. And it's not quite like you planned ?

I loved the backing singers contribution to The James Gang's Stop

Caught Turn To Stone from last night's show (13 Aug 2017) on YouTube (no backing singers;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06lNd9c2MGQ

They still got it!

My favourite band of all time. It's such a shame that they only made a couple of albums and haven't played together for 45 years. Joe's played with some great bassists but Kenny brings out the best in Joe imho

Midnight Visitor
08-14-2017, 10:32 AM
I loved the backing singers contribution to The James Gang's Stop

Caught Turn To Stone from last night's show (13 Aug 2017) on YouTube (no backing singers;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06lNd9c2MGQ

They still got it!

My favourite band of all time. It's such a shame that they only made a couple of albums and haven't played together for 45 years. Joe's played with some great bassists but Kenny brings out the best in Joe imho

Who's the 2nd guitarist and why?

Delilah
08-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting the video, Funk 50. Joe was in great form (the rest of them too).

Funk 50
08-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Who's the 2nd guitarist and why?

Besides Walsh, Vitale and Passarelli, Tom Bukovic (guitar) and Jimmy Wallace (keyboards) from Joe's current touring band, were on stage.

I've heard that they played Here We Go, Turn To Stone and Rocky Mountain Way.

As far as I know, Joe's never played Here We Go in concert before. Though he did perform the closing instrumental section, directly after Meadows on the live, You Can't Argue With A sick Mind album, with Felder on dual lead guitar.

I hope it all makes the TV Broadcast in November :pray:

I wish Joe would commit to doing more Barnstorm shows rather than playing 3rd strummer and court jester with the forthcoming, Eagles not concerts but evenings :roll:

Thanks for the thanks Delilah. You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it :grin:

thelastresort
08-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Wonderful to see. I adore the first Barnstorm album (one of my Desert Island Disks, without question) so this gives me some hope that it may start getting pulled back to the fore as far as Joe's output goes. Also great to see Joe Vitale back, I know he has toured with Joe lately but at least here he is given his rightful position as sole drummer. I can understand why they've included a keyboardist and whilst Joe is a superb guitarist in his own right, as Felder in the Eagles Seattle bootleg shows, a second guitarist on Turn to Stone catapults it into the stratosphere.

Rock on Barnstorm :headbang:

Funk 50
08-15-2017, 03:35 PM
I don't know what prompted, for sure, the Barnstorm reunion but Mark Lane must take some credit. True Fandom beyond the call of duty. :bow:

Mark's facebook site is a must visit for Walsh/Barnstorm fans large and small.
Extra, extra kudos for the video of Here We Go (in it's original key!) :iloveyou:;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233202660053986/?ref=group_header